Author Topic: Apple Removes Fortnite from the App Store  (Read 15107 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: Apple Removes Fortnite from the App Store
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
Great sage and Tim Sweeney sitting in a tree

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
Tim Sweeney can go eat a dick, but it doesn't mean he's in the wrong on this one.

How can Apple honestly justify shit like this?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/21/21396316/apple-wordpress-in-app-purchase-tax-update-store

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »
That seems like a really bad idea.  I’d expect nothing less from clown shoes Timmy.

Also: did Riotous get ultra-nuked?

Whoa, no Member listing? That’s ironic.

Tasty

« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »
Google cutting Play Store commission to 15% on first $1 million in revenue for all Android devs

Googs trying to seem like the good guys lol.

Interesting, thats almost the inverse of steams sliding scale, where it lowers the more you make.

Tasty

« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/03/boosting-dev-success.html

Starting on July 1, 2021 we are reducing the service fee Google Play receives when a developer sells digital goods or services to 15% for the first $1M (USD) of revenue every developer earns each year. With this change, 99% of developers globally that sell digital goods and services with Play will see a 50% reduction in fees.

:o

Tasty

« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2021, 01:58:53 PM »
https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/app-store-small-business-program/

Oh Apple already announced something similar lol.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2021, 06:49:42 PM »
Nintendo will not lower the fees :miyamoto
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/10/22662320/epic-apple-ruling-injunction-judge-court-app-store

Can't say I didn't see this coming and said as much on multiple occasions
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:36:03 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2021, 01:31:09 PM »
This is a victory for basically everyone and a loss for Apple. Rejoice!

Maybe not, Apple's happy and Sweeney's not. :lol Guess I should read further before posting, my bad.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:36:10 PM by Tasty »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »

Maybe not, Apple's happy and Sweeney's not. :lol Guess I should read further before posting, my bad.

Apple are 'happy' they were 'only' behaving in anti-competitive ways, and aren't in the firing line for a big class action antitrust.
Epic are pissed they got what they claimed they wanted, but have to pay the fees for everything up to now  :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »
So they both kinda lost? Best outcome.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2021, 03:40:12 AM »
I don't think Apple really lost anything considering what Epic was trying to do, Epic lost on darn near literally everything.

It's funny how many outlets read the topline and ran with "EPIC WINS IT ALL, APPLE TO BE SHUTDOWN PERMANENTLY" headlines. Lawyers on Twitter trying to explain it to people are getting plastered with "NO, SEE KOTAKU SAYS FORTNITE BACK ON IOS." :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2021, 04:18:47 AM »
It opens the door for alternative payment methods but not getting around the tim apple tax
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2021, 08:04:30 PM »

On Twitter, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney expressed disappointment in the order. “Today’s ruling isn’t a win for developers or for consumers,” Sweeney said. “Epic is fighting for fair competition among in-app payment methods and app stores for a billion consumers.” Separately, an Epic Games spokesperson told NPR that the company plans to appeal.
This sounds entirely reasonable.
Right now, using the Amazon app on my phone, I'm unable to purchase any digital content. There are not any restrictions on physical items. Unless consumers are keeping up with these lawsuits, it makes no sense. The idea that I can move to the Safari browser on my phone and face no limitations, but a SPEFIC APP for the storefront won't allow it is bullshit.

So with this Amazon will likely have a "launch browser" button for digital sales, inside their app. Fortnite will have a "launch browser" button to allow for the same. This is a minor win for consumers, while companies continue to treat consumers badly out of greed. News at 11.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »
Yeah, "launch browser" is what everyone will do, a good number of f2p apps already do it so they can avoid the storefronts altogether and send you to their site. (Google more or less unofficially "endorsed" (by saying it wasn't not allowed) this when the Epic lawsuit started as their solution for anyone with complaints.)

Still, Epic's going about this the wrong way though, Apple will never be ordered to run their store in a way they don't want. Epic should be using their "alliance" of paid for developers along with Fortnite and try to bring Apple to the table on their own and work out a deal just for themselves. They're throwing away tons of money, goodwill and who knows what else trying to litigate this based around a completely insane theory that Apple is a monopoly because Apple controls 100% of the Apple phone market.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2021, 08:31:38 PM »
Exactly.

I wonder if that was actually attempted prior to this lawsuit. It must have been. But, jesus, what an insane act of hubris on Epic's part.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2021, 07:40:55 AM »

Still makes me laugh.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2021, 03:52:43 PM »
What the fuck does he actually think he’s saying, here?

He's saying the "free market" applies to both consumers and suppliers, and they are "free" to buy or sell wherever they wish.

What he's neglecting to mention is that in a free market, the customers actually have more power because if they don't like where you're selling your product, they won't fucking buy it, and in a market of largely interchangeable goods that all fall under the blanket term 'entertainment', suppliers who don't listen to what their customers want will - in an actual free market - die, while suppliers who will will thrive.

What he's doing with EGS is basically the same as subsidising less popular goods, because all things being equal people would rather not buy on EGS.
Subsidies on noncompetitive products, and tariffs on more popular ones you can't control are anathema to 'free market' ideologies, and I'm sure he knows it.