Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Son of a bitch!  (Read 323446 times)

Himu

Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Resist Australian-style Fascism
« Reply #4800 on: January 05, 2022, 12:36:02 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ted-cruz-impeach-biden/2022/01/04/afc3f7ac-6da0-11ec-aaa8-35d1865a6977_story.html

Jeez so sick of the political witch hunts at this point from both sides instead of fighting for the people. Just fuck each other already.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4801 on: January 05, 2022, 01:11:31 AM »

:usacry

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #4804 on: January 05, 2022, 05:44:03 PM »
dp
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4806 on: January 05, 2022, 06:55:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1478758105999679490

I am not generally the type to rail against AOC, but I saw this particular tweet

first of all the tweet she's replying to is horrible and dumb, but the correct response to that is not further idiocy

to claim that there are no "low skill jobs" is to imply that every single job takes the exact same amount of skill to perform? because otherwise if some jobs require more skill than others, the ones that take less can be easily considered the lower skilled jobs by comparison

and everyone implicitly knows there are low skill jobs, because we've all done them, and as a society we tend to give them to people who currently lack skills such as teens

to have a "low skill job" is not an indictment of you as a person, nor does it entitle anyone to abuse you, devalue you, or disrespect the work you do...it's just a truthful classification of some forms of employment

if you want, you could call it a "high availability/low demand job," because it's all based on supply and demand...people trained for highly skilled professions like doctors are in shorter supply so that's a "low availability/high demand job" by comparison

and the jobs that are "high availability" -- Wal-Mart greeter -- are like that because the skill requirement is such that anybody in the world can do it

don't gaslight me  :doge
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #4807 on: January 05, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
The problem with Adams' statement wasn't the addition of "low skill" but when he said lacking academics or whatever. Many college grads do low skill jobs and many smart, creative people that never went to college work them too. Also many jobs are low skill but still hard working. There's not much skill in picking up packages at an Amazon warehouse. You just stack boxes. What makes it hard is the repetitive motion. She's being offended by the wrong part of the statement but hey, it's a new day so it's something new to be offended at.

I wonder what will offend her tomorrow? Likely not another mentally ill homeless person on the trains. :doge
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:13:26 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4808 on: January 05, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1478758105999679490

I am not generally the type to rail against AOC, but I saw this particular tweet

first of all the tweet she's replying to is horrible and dumb, but the correct response to that is not further idiocy

to claim that there are no "low skill jobs" is to imply that every single job takes the exact same amount of skill to perform? because otherwise if some jobs require more skill than others, the ones that take less can be easily considered the lower skilled jobs by comparison

It's not a claim that different jobs require different levels of skill.

to have a "low skill job" is not an indictment of you as a person, nor does it entitle anyone to abuse you, devalue you, or disrespect the work you do...it's just a truthful classification of some forms of employment

if you want, you could call it a "high availability/low demand job," because it's all based on supply and demand...people trained for highly skilled professions like doctors are in shorter supply so that's a "low availability/high demand job" by comparison

and the jobs that are "high availability" -- Wal-Mart greeter -- are like that because the skill requirement is such that anybody in the world can do it

don't gaslight me  :doge

It's exactly this and meant to be a reframing of the discussion of what 'low-skill' implies.  Economic terms are often used to obfuscate ethical and political positions.  If you live in a world where one's economic worth is their worth as a person, then a "low skill job" is an indictment of you as a person, and results in people abusing and taking advantage of you.  More importantly, it devalues your economic worth and is not just a reflection of it.  As we have seen with the recent 'labour' shortage, people are not as replaceable as people using the term 'low-skill' want to imply.  It wasn't long ago where people got away with using the term 'unskilled', again referencing it as just a fundamental economic truth.  The fact that these terms exist in economics does not mean that when people use these terms they are actually talking about economics. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:44:39 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Himu

« Reply #4809 on: January 05, 2022, 07:47:19 PM »
Let's keep it a buck. Terminology and language means jack shit. Two years ago you were an essential worker, now you're a Terminated because you're not vaxxed. Turns out you weren't essential after all. Maybe the reason AOC's agenda doesn't win is because she spends too much time arguing bullshit.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4810 on: January 05, 2022, 07:51:23 PM »
It's exactly this and meant to be a reframing of the discussion of what 'low-skill' implies.  Economic terms are often used to obfuscate ethical and political positions.  If you live in a world where one's economic worth is their worth as a person, then a "low skill job" is an indictment of you as a person, and results in people abusing and taking advantage of you.  More importantly, it devalues your economic worth and is not just a reflection of it.  As we have seen with the recent 'labour' shortage, people are not as replaceable as people using the term 'low-skill' want to imply.  It wasn't long ago where people got away with using the term 'unskilled', again referencing it as just a fundamental economic truth.  The fact that these terms exist in economics does not mean that when people use these terms they are actually talking about economics.

your economic worth is only tied to your worth as a person if you allow it to be

"you're fat and ugly so you're worthless" is just as invalid as "you don't have a high-paying job so you're worthless," your self-worth is something YOU decide internally

she says there are no low skill jobs which is why we have to value the people doing them because they really take so much skill, honest

I say there ARE low skill jobs but that is not an excuse to abuse the people doing them because those jobs will always exist and someone has to do them, and everyone deserves respect

her take is using a falsehood to try to say something nice, I'm saying embrace the truth and still choose to value people
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4811 on: January 05, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »
essentially, she is still wrapped up in the false viewpoint that your worth is tied to your skill level

rather than concluding that your worth shouldn't be tied to your skill level and working toward that end, she chooses to claim that everyone has a high skill level so therefore everyone has worth

like, can't we decouple these things?
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4812 on: January 05, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »
You are very much agreeing with the underlying philosophy of what she is arguing for but choosing an uncharitable interpretation of her words.  It's only her lying if you think she is making a claim about different jobs being incomparable (and thus equal) in skill, instead of a claim about how the term 'low skill' is used to devalue people.  It's pretty clear that it's the latter given 'is a myth perpetuated by wealthy interests ...'.  Again, the point is that 'low skill' is a term used to obfuscate the various ideas of demand, education, skill, etc. by using an economic term in order 'to justify inhumane working conditions, little/no healthcare, and low wages'.   

Pointing out that there are skills needed for waitressing or that valuable lessons were learned while doing it, is a way to get people to reevaluate the skills needed to do such jobs and to combat the idea that high availability means low-skill and thus low value.  It's not a claim that anyone who waitresses can be a doctor, but a claim that they should be valued (in that they deserve human working conditions, healthcare, and a livable wage), even though they are not a doctor. 

edit;  even if her tweet was literally 'A waitress is just as skilled as a doctor', it wouldn't mean that she thinks a waitress is just as practiced and educated and in demand as a doctor or that they work just as hard etc. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:10:19 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4813 on: January 05, 2022, 09:18:07 PM »
you're treating it like one of those "not all men" gotchas, "well of course when we said all men are raised as catcallers, we didn't mean ALL men, but methinks you protest too much"

not all corrections of poorly-phrased statements are uncharitable; sometimes the statement is just a bad one

don't say "low skill is a myth" if you don't mean it, especially released to the Twitter audience, good god

it would be incredibly easy to respond to the first tweet by (first of all) correcting the conflation of education level with the job one finds oneself in, and segueing from that false conflation to the other one that conflates skill level with whether you deserve abuse

the most charitable read would be the one that assumes as a politician, it ingratiates her more to her constituents to imply that she sees you (yes, you) as being highly-skilled

Pointing out that there are skills needed for waitressing or that valuable lessons were learned while doing it, is a way to get people to reevaluate the skills needed to do such jobs and to combat the idea that high availability means low-skill and thus low value.

high availability DOES often mean low-skill, and we should not combat this idea if it is true

but low-skill does not mean low value, this is the distinction that matters

you've got these things intrinsically linked just like she did, which is just not true, the fact that something is easy to do doesn't mean those doing it deserve abuse
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:29:22 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4814 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:03 PM »
You are absolutely right, sadly, there will be dumbasses who will misread what she meant, and so she should have really made herself clearer.  Like why invite the bad faith arguments?  Especially on twitter.  It's like 'defund the police': it's a good idea to keep the police in check, but I can't stand the marketing.  I don't get why people can't be completely clear and logical with their language, since language is really about conveying facts and logical propositions.  If everyone was just more clear in what they meant, these kinds of misunderstandings just would not happen.  It's honestly just stupidity when people don't do this.     

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4815 on: January 05, 2022, 09:55:43 PM »
Don't you think the medium (and people using that medium) is significantly to blame here?

Getting your political analysis 240 characters at a time and at 6000 miles per hour from people desperate for attention and clicks is a big problem.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4816 on: January 05, 2022, 10:31:48 PM »
No, I don't think so.  A ten-part tweet or 10-minute interview would be picked apart just the same.  Just skimming the replies -- because I don't have a stomach for twitter -- you get people having a gut reaction of 'how dare she say my job X is as easy as job Y' i.e. people who fundamentally believe they are better people and deserve more than people doing Y due to their ability to do X or people going 'well economics', i.e. people who have bought into the idea that economics is a valid and perfect science and that when people use economic terms they strictly mean their academic definition.  That tweet is doing what it intends to do, which is to raise the value of 'low skill' works and question how the term gets used, and more importantly, it will hit its intended audience.  Being divisive is not a loss.  Nor is the fact that some people are allergic to rhetoric, and hence might dislike what she said only because of how she said it. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4817 on: January 05, 2022, 11:41:49 PM »
That tweet is doing what it intends to do, which is to raise the value of 'low skill' works and question how the term gets used, and more importantly, it will hit its intended audience.  Being divisive is not a loss.  Nor is the fact that some people are allergic to rhetoric, and hence might dislike what she said only because of how she said it.

this defense can be equally applied to literally just fucking lying, like trump-style tweets

his intended audience will understand what he means  :-*

so what if it's divisive, it gets him the attention he wants, sowing division is not a loss  ;)

you just don't like what he said because of HOW he said it, put another way you'd agree with him  8)
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4819 on: January 06, 2022, 06:08:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1479107411201847303

While those may be true in the abstract, I prefer a former President's more straightfoward formulation:
Quote from: Bill Clinton
There is nothing patriotic about hating your government, or pretending you can hate your government but love your country.

Also from that 25 year old speech:
Quote from: Bill Clinton
If you treat law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line for your safety every day like some kind of enemy army, to be suspected, derided, and--if they should be able to enforce the law against you--to be shot, you are wrong
ACAB

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #4820 on: January 06, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »

benjipwns

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:46:26 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #4825 on: January 06, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »
:dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4826 on: January 06, 2022, 08:05:21 PM »
I think the January 6 insurrectionists deserve prison but are we going to do "on this day ____ years ago" every year now?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #4827 on: January 06, 2022, 08:06:35 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #4828 on: January 06, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1479085805536747522

I don't think this is the own he thinks it is.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4829 on: January 06, 2022, 08:36:04 PM »
I think the January 6 insurrectionists deserve prison but are we going to do "on this day ____ years ago" every year now?

when you think about it and trace back the roots of the rhetoric, gamergate was directly responsible for Jan 6
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #4830 on: January 06, 2022, 08:40:04 PM »

when you think about it and trace back the roots of the rhetoric, gamergate was directly responsible for Jan 6

Ughhh
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4831 on: January 06, 2022, 09:14:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I’ll save my donations for the December 14th political prisoners, thank you very much  ::)
Margs

benjipwns

benjipwns

benjipwns

benjipwns

Himu

« Reply #4836 on: January 07, 2022, 03:23:03 AM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-pearl-habor-911-comparison-jan-6-speech-2022-1?utm_source=reddit.com

Lmao 1/6 was fucked up but at the end of the day it's a what if. No one died besides Babbitt iirc.

I'll just paste what was said on r/moderatepolitics

She can compare it to whatever she wants, voters won't really care when it comes time for elections, they are going to look at how their own personal livelihoods have been affected.

I doubt they are going to say "Well, inflation sucks, gas prices suck, house prices suck, food prices suck, but..I don't want another Jan 6th to happen, so I'm voting against that"

Btw, I'm not trying to downplay Jan 6th, it was inexcusable, but I don't think it'll affect people's votes as much no matter how much they try to use it as a fear tactic.

The Democrats will have to get some better ammo if they only have Trump, and Jan 6 to fall back on come election time.

Virginia showed shouting Trump name is useless, but they don't seem interested in changing that.

Outside of Reddit and Democratic politicians, I don't think a single person that I know of gives a shit about January 6. The fact that the Democrats make it a big deal while the rest of the American people struggle with gas and food prices, makes me think it'll hurt them long term because they think this is more important than what it really is (compared to other current issues)

Two things true:

1. What happened at the Capitol was wrong, all involved in trespassing and/or coordinating attacks should be prosecuted to the fullest extent.
2. Democrats want to use this against Republicans for political gain, and its very transparent and obvious. They're not even really hiding this, as I believe Schumer said he was going to try to use the anniversary of the event to push the Democrats changes to federal voting laws.

Also, comparing to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor is silly, obviously.

That feels like cheapening national tragedies to score political points.

Democrats seem to have a tendency to overplay their hand, even when it's a winning one.  Rather than let Trump sink himself (which he promptly did), they got down into the muck with him and impeached him left and right and seemed petty and partisan in the process (alliteration!).  Instead of condemning the minority of these folks for trying to interrupt the peaceful transfer of power, they're trying to overstate their impact and number of supporters for political purposes.  The only people this will resonate with already vote for Democrats.

Especially during the Trump era, Democrats had a golden opportunity to be the adults in the room and broaden their appeal.  I was there for the taking.  Instead, (according to them) everything Trump and the Republicans did was a threat to democracy which was therefore always on the verge of collapsing.  Schumer first demanded that we preserve the filibuster (when he was in the minority) in order to save democracy but when Dems took the majority, we now have to kill/alter the filibuster in order to do what?  You guessed it:  Save democracy.  I'm starting to see a trend here.

On social issues, they tailored their message in order to appeal to a very narrow group (the progressive left), which further alienated people who may have been enticed to the party with a more moderate message.  Once Biden got into office, the party swung even further left both economically and socially.  Rather than appealing to more voters, they seem to be hell-bent on catering to a very vocal minority within their party, which is a terrible way to win an election.  The messaging just doesn't appeal to large parts of the country.

FWIW: I realize Biden won in 2020, but I'd argue (based on the House votes) that was a very specific circumstance.  I think President Biden received a lot of anti-Trump votes in 2020 (as opposed to Pro-Biden votes).

Dems, recognize that American voters have only two real options. Yeah we can vote third party but if you don't come with the goods, Americans might look at what someone else is selling. No amount of 1/6 mentions changes this.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 03:27:20 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4837 on: January 07, 2022, 04:17:13 AM »
Lmao remember when dude asked me to post a source most Americans are moving past Covid and living life as we did before?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/06/world/omicron-covid-vaccine-tests?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes#former-biden-advisers-call-on-the-administration-to-change-its-covid-strategy

Imagine being scurred when you have a vaccine and a booster. Lmao pussy shit unless you're actually immunocompromised, have a child aged 0-5, or are elderly, or live with someone in those three groups. Finally Biden. Finally. Open the gates. This fucking thing is cooked.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:33:03 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4839 on: January 07, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
Lmao pussy shit unless you're actually immunocompromised, have a child aged 0-5, or are elderly, or live with someone in those three groups.

:snoop

Himu

« Reply #4841 on: January 07, 2022, 12:58:06 PM »
Lmao pussy shit unless you're actually immunocompromised, have a child aged 0-5, or are elderly, or live with someone in those three groups.

:snoop

Different people will make different decisions, and that’s OK. Severely immunocompromised people — like those who have received organ transplants or are actively receiving cancer treatment — have reason to be extra cautious. For otherwise healthy older people, on the other hand, the latest data may be encouraging enough to affect their behavior.

Consider this: Before Omicron, a typical vaccinated 75-year-old who contracted Covid had a roughly similar risk of death — around 1 in 200 — as a typical 75-year-old who contracted the flu. (Here are the details behind that calculation, which is based on an academic study.)

Omicron has changed the calculation. Because it is milder than earlier versions of the virus, Covid now appears to present less threat to most vaccinated elderly people than the annual flu does.

The flu, of course, does present risk for the elderly. And the sheer size of the Omicron surge may argue for caution over the next few weeks. But the combination of vaccines and Omicron’s apparent mildness means that, for an individual, Covid increasingly resembles the kind of health risk that people accept every day.

Via nyt https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/briefing/omicron-risk-milder-pandemic.html

Some of you need to admit you don't want this to end. You're opposite of Covid denialists, and Covid extremists. Less than the flu.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4843 on: January 07, 2022, 02:41:53 PM »
You're supposed to avoid people when the flu is going around too, dipshit

If they have the flu, sure.

Which is precisely why you wear a mask. But you don't stop going to restaurants during flu season. You don't make endless doom posts about flu season. Knowing flu is out there doesn't stop me from going to the movies or something. You're not obsessively posting daily case numbers during flu season. You don't put your life off for flu season. You get your shot and go. In this case, get vaccinated, wear your mask and move on with your life. The endless doomerism tied to Covid extremists is just as damaging and revolting as Covid denialists.

Thank you for making my case....dipshit. :)

Now get some pants on, grow some balls, put on your mask, and end this Covid bitch fest. If I have to see Tripon or someone talk about how they haven't eaten in a restaurant for two years one more time.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #4844 on: January 07, 2022, 04:26:57 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-pearl-habor-911-comparison-jan-6-speech-2022-1?utm_source=reddit.com

Lmao 1/6 was fucked up but at the end of the day it's a what if. No one died besides Babbitt iirc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/05/us/politics/jan-6-capitol-deaths.html

WASHINGTON — As a pro-Trump protest turned into a violent attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6 last year, four people in the crowd died.

Ashli Babbitt, an Air Force veteran, was fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer as rioters tried to breach the House chamber.

Kevin D. Greeson died of a heart attack, collapsing on the sidewalk west of the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Rosanne Boyland appeared to have been crushed in a stampede of fellow rioters as they surged against the police.

Benjamin Philips, the founder of a pro-Trump website called Trumparoo, died of a stroke.

Mr. Greeson and Mr. Philips died of natural causes, the Washington medical examiner said in April. He added that Ms. Boyland’s death was caused by an accidental overdose.

In the days and weeks after the riot, five police officers who had served at the Capitol on Jan. 6 died.

Officer Brian D. Sicknick of the Capitol Police, who was attacked by the mob, died on Jan. 7.

Officer Jeffrey Smith of the Metropolitan Police Department killed himself after the attack.

Officer Howard S. Liebengood of the Capitol Police also died by suicide four days afterward.

The Capitol Police had previously said that Officer Sicknick died from injuries sustained “while physically engaging with protesters.” The Washington medical examiner later ruled that he had died of natural causes: multiple strokes that occurred hours after Officer Sicknick’s confrontation with the mob. The medical examiner added, however, that “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

A bipartisan Senate report, released in June, found that the seven deaths were connected to the Capitol attack. But the report was issued a month before two Metropolitan Police officers — Gunther Hashida and Kyle DeFreytag — died by suicide in July.

The police agencies have not classified the four total suicides as “line of duty” deaths that would provide the victims’ families with enhanced benefits. Washington law excludes suicide deaths from the line-of-duty designation.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4845 on: January 07, 2022, 05:12:41 PM »
It's just a flu

- trump himu

benjipwns

« Reply #4846 on: January 07, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1479529037949292549

I don't think this is the own they think it is.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4848 on: January 07, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
Cruz is the guy who doesn’t care which car he’s riding in, as long as he gets a ride.

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #4850 on: January 07, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4852 on: January 08, 2022, 10:01:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/supserena1/status/1478803717285679105

Eric Adams is going to be one of those true posters, isn't he.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

benjipwns

« Reply #4857 on: January 09, 2022, 06:21:38 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #4858 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/SlimRyan45/status/1479852062959669255

The fact that it was 28 degrees out where Ruth also lives should have tipped her off that this wasn't the route to take. :lol