Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 33101 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
The coming console war
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »

With Microsoft making huge steps in acquiring Bethesda, running the gambit around Sony with Gamepass having big titles available on launch day, who do you think will 'win' the coming console war? I feel like it hasn't really started, as only a small amount of units has been made available to the public. The games aren't really there yet either I feel like.

Microsoft
Big acquirement of studios such as:
-inXile Entertainment (Wasteland series)
-Obsidian Entertainment(New Vegas/Stick of Truth)
-Double Fine Productions (Psychonauts,Brutal Legend)
-ZeniMax Media including Arkane Studios (Dishonored/Prey), Bethesda Softworks(Elder Scrolls Skyrim/Fallout), ID Software (Quake/DOOM)

Game Pass Day One Titles including Outriders or MLB 2021 The Show day.
-New first-party Xbox titles will be part of its Xbox Game Pass subscription service – day-and-date with their retail release.

Massive Backwards Compatibility
-568 Xbox 360 games, and 39 original Xbox games are available to play on Xbox Series S/X, most including patches to run the games at higher resolutions and/or framerate.

Sony

Coming out of the PS4 as the clear winner, some feel like 'arrogant' Sony is back. Shutting down old stores and denying any forms of backwards compatibility they have the home advantage but their current attitude isn't liked by most Sony fans. They still have the best first party studio output and don't seem to be slowing down on that front.

Public advantage and huge in Europe
-
The PS4 has sold three times the amount of the Xbox One in Europe, according to Sony exec Jim Ryan. "It's been pleasing that in North America, we've been 2-to-1 against Xbox,"

First Party Studio output has been great
-TLOU, TLOU II, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Demon Souls are all amazing games. Most of these games have reviewed +90 on Metacritic.

Personally I haven't picked up either system yet, but so far the Xbox Series X seems a clear winner to me. For me the ability to play and replay my old Xbox games is a pretty big deal, and I hope that Microsoft really starts putting more titles from the OG library and from the 360 library into BC. Their Gamepass initiative has really paid off, and it seems to be drawing more and more gamers. Their publicity on this is also always positive, so it's always a win win for them.

Sony to me seems a bit more arrogant, and isn't willing to focus on anything before PS4. With their abandonment of their legacy titles, I feel less inclined to invest in their current ecosystem.

Maybe we can use this topic throughout the years to see how it goes, I feel like this one might take awhile to get going. Also can we get a Poll? Microsoft/Sony? <3
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The coming console war
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:13:15 PM »
All Microsoft games are on PC and even Sony is putting first/second party exclusives on PC.

PC stays winning, as usual.

Console peasants btfo
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »
I kinda forgot that yeah Microsoft is also putting massive weight into their PC presence. Sony is starting to dabble in putting their games on PC, which HZD has sold well so far. I don't see uhh that zombie game doing all that well. Rumors are still going that Bloodborne is coming to PC, which should be a multi million seller if so.
What

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 05:18:03 PM »
Soyny is muff garbage.

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 05:23:23 PM »
Nintendo be like Switch Pro go brrr

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
I didnt include Nintendo because they always do their own thing, and I feel like at this moment they kind of exist outside the traditional 'console war'

But yeah they go brrrr
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 05:43:44 PM »
Nintendo is peak anti-consumer right now, Sony showing signs of getting back into that same arrogance mode also. Both need a bitch slap badly. However, that would lead to an even faster rise of Spencer's gaming Netflix and I'm not really fond of that. I already don't like streaming for movies and I absolutely didn#t care for Gamepass in the 2 months I bought it for PC.

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
I feel like even at this point Sony and Microsoft dap Nintendo sometimes. They've legit moved on to a different direction. I feel like in the 360 era, the "Nintendo aren't our competitors" stuff was just talk from Sony and Microsoft, but I actually believe it these days.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 05:49:33 PM »
I could see myself grabbing a Series X eventually; I have a sizable physical 360 library. MS didn't completely screw the pooch like they did in 2014.

Idk, I'll probably just keep playing games and enjoying myself. Brand loyalty is for losers. 

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »
Coming out of the PS4 as the clear winner, some feel like 'arrogant' Sony is back.

Man I wish. The memes out of arrogant Sony are always legendary :lawd

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 05:51:37 PM »
Microsoft bought 6(?) studios had no launch games and Halo is going nowhere.

Soyny has a chip running at such high clocks they're stuck with low yields until their console refresh.

With the S Microsoft lowered the entry bar for competitors dramatically.

Nvidia holds the keys to the best price/performance ratio via DLSS. But it doesn't matter because crypto miners buy all the GPU's.

In terms of war Sony and MS are fighting in the trenches while Nintendo, Epic, Valve, Tencent and Nvidia are eating grapes and drinking wine behind the front.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 07:31:09 PM »
by carefully selecting letters, you too can spell words

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »
by carefully selecting letters, you too can spell words

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 07:51:40 PM »
:rejoice

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:24 PM »
i really like the series x and ms's dedication to bc and simple, effective hardware design. just don't know what the point of owning xbox is if you have a pc though. both hardwares are so similar who cares, but i love the series bc and the ps5 controller has the worst dpad i've used since 3rd party psx pads. have heard the series controller dpad is fine/good so series wins the hardware race by default, though the ps actually has a couple new games to play hence owning this thing. do love how quiet it is, but it's mostly just a ps4 bc unit atm.

lately, if there's a cross platform indie/online store title i want to play on switch and ps i'll buy it on switch even if the implementation is a little worse because the pro controller is so much better than the dualshock 5. kinda messed up since the dualshock 4 dpad is better than both, not sure how sony screwed up such a basic component so bad. might need to get a ds4 just for bc games.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:05:47 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 10:04:58 PM »
At this point I'm happy to play wait and see. Neither console is offering anything compelling and both are absurdly priced. I don't really care much for AAA bullshit or Sony's interactive movies, so their appeal is very limited.

My laptop is well past its replacement date and I'm thinking a mid-range gaming PC might be the best solution once it shits itself.

Until then, Switch and PS4 are still satisfying my gaming habits.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 04:40:05 AM »
At this point I'm happy to play wait and see. Neither console is offering anything compelling and both are absurdly priced. I don't really care much for AAA bullshit or Sony's interactive movies, so their appeal is very limited.

My laptop is well past its replacement date and I'm thinking a mid-range gaming PC might be the best solution once it shits itself.

Bought an RTX 3060 notebook for an employee the other day. She can play pretty much anything now. I told her battery life would be an issue but she believed the 4 - 6 hours  from the specs  :trumps
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 07:08:44 AM »

Bought an RTX 3060 notebook for an employee the other day. She can play pretty much anything now. I told her battery life would be an issue but she believed the 4 - 6 hours  from the specs  :trumps
SIMP.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »
more like the cooming console war

:dice
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »
Rooting for MS. Sony needs to be humbled. Nintendo has done a great job in making themselves the platform for Japanese exclusives, something Sony doesn't care about anymore, which gave them much leeway over MS. Now all MS has to do is take their western game lunch and outflank them. They're doing a good job instilling good will with gamers while Sony is cashing that shit in as if at a pawn shop. Sony deserves to be humbled. They think they are owed service but have done jack and shit to sell the Ps5 as a system besides brand power.

I say this as someone with a vast PlayStation collection which apparently PlayStation thinks doesn't count for much. Fuck them.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:45 AM »

SIMP.
It's called working from home. I'd rather have her productive with a decent setup than dropping out of ZOOM or Discord when screen sharing with more than 2 people.  :doge
Her BF has a decent flightsim rig but he is WFH as well.

In that sense the tech/creative field has changed. When I started WFH I needed to buy a new webcam but already had a rig, comfy chair, yeti blue mic and a decent headset and everything. 
Half of our employees are using their work PC's at home and bring their work headsets because they don't have decent enough specs to do their work otherwise :dizzy

Also our government plans to tax companies that are profitable during the pandemic so I'm getting a big raise for my hard work at increasing our revenue during this crisis and we're going to invest in crypto instead  8)
The market is completely broken with competitors still sucking on big government mommy milkers a year later while they undercut the competition. Knowing that they can up their prices again when this bullshit is over and clients can't break contracts.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
Rooting for MS. Sony needs to be humbled. Nintendo has done a great job in making themselves the platform for Japanese exclusives, something Sony doesn't care about anymore, which gave them much leeway over MS. Now all MS has to do is take their western game lunch and outflank them. They're doing a good job instilling good will with gamers while Sony is cashing that shit in as if at a pawn shop. Sony deserves to be humbled. They think they are owed service but have done jack and shit to sell the Ps5 as a system besides brand power.

I say this as someone with a vast PlayStation collection which apparently PlayStation thinks doesn't count for much. Fuck them.

Microsoft will put Sony in the Camel Clutch. Break their back, make them humble.
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »
:sheik
Margs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 11:24:02 AM »
Really taking a wait and see approach. I'll probably default to PS5 again since even though Sony killed their Japanese first parties, I don't see the mid-sized Japanese third parties that made the PS4 so enticing (and whose games I mostly am interested in) moving away from Sony. Falcom in particular. Also, Sony owns Evo so that'll ensure the fighting game genre is dominant on PS5, and FF16/7r are coming as timed exclusives. 

I do have to say that the Series X is much more enticing than the One ever was. I really like MS actually attempting to respect their legacy with their BC, even if overall their legacy doesn't appeal to me the way Sony's and Nintendo's do. And Phil S seems to be intent on fixing the largest criticisms of the Mattrick era - namely the lack of exclusives. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried the early 360 era of moneyhatting Japanese games again (my favorite period ever in Xbox history). Say, Lost Odyssey 2 and an exclusive Tales game would be fry_shutupandtakemymoney.gif

Do we know the PS5 vs Series X sales ratio at this point? I haven't seen anything. Anecdotal evidence for me is that the PS5 has a lot more hype with the casual fanbase.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:32:41 AM by tiesto »
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 11:28:03 AM »
PS5 is probably winning easily, idk about elsewhere but there has been a steadyish supply of them in the UK (all snapped up straight away obviously) and I think the Series X has been in available maybe three times at most over here. The Series S is in stock quite often though.
(ice)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
Microsoft is future proofing Xbox as a whole, Nintendo has the best and most first party games combined with a form factor people love, Sony is reliant on their biggest first party games and brand recognition to carry their platform.

All three will coexist this gen and all will be successful. Sony's handling of it's older libraries and software stuff as a whole has been pretty shitty, but that isn't affecting them with short term stuff. Long term, they will most likely suffer some consequences.

If games like Elden Ring are day 1 Game Pass games, but cost $60 for the PS5 version, stuff like that is gonna hurt Sony more and more as time goes on.
OH!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
Nintendo is peak anti-consumer right now,

Right now? Nintendo's been peak anti-consumer since the NES...
^_^

thetylerrob

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »
The Gamecube was down to $100 by late 2003 and you could buy the most popular games for $20 if they had the Player's Choice label.

Tasty

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »

Let's just compromise and say they've remained at an elevated level of anti-consumer since the time they relaunched the console industry. :P

I'm extremely happy the Switch is region-free though, and even purchasing out-of-market digital games on the eShop is supported and straightforward. :)

I'm also really happy Nintendo's kept on USB (now USB-C!) and SD cards. *looks over at Sony and the Vita especially*

Himu

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »
Really taking a wait and see approach. I'll probably default to PS5 again since even though Sony killed their Japanese first parties, I don't see the mid-sized Japanese third parties that made the PS4 so enticing (and whose games I mostly am interested in) moving away from Sony. Falcom in particular. Also, Sony owns Evo so that'll ensure the fighting game genre is dominant on PS5, and FF16/7r are coming as timed exclusives. 

I do have to say that the Series X is much more enticing than the One ever was. I really like MS actually attempting to respect their legacy with their BC, even if overall their legacy doesn't appeal to me the way Sony's and Nintendo's do. And Phil S seems to be intent on fixing the largest criticisms of the Mattrick era - namely the lack of exclusives. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried the early 360 era of moneyhatting Japanese games again (my favorite period ever in Xbox history). Say, Lost Odyssey 2 and an exclusive Tales game would be fry_shutupandtakemymoney.gif

Do we know the PS5 vs Series X sales ratio at this point? I haven't seen anything. Anecdotal evidence for me is that the PS5 has a lot more hype with the casual fanbase.

Right now ps5 is winning and could take the generation because it's seen as the default. My hope is MS brings their dukes and reverses it SNES DKC style.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 12:19:11 PM »
Microsoft is future proofing Xbox as a whole, Nintendo has the best and most first party games combined with a form factor people love, Sony is reliant on their biggest first party games and brand recognition to carry their platform.

All three will coexist this gen and all will be successful. Sony's handling of it's older libraries and software stuff as a whole has been pretty shitty, but that isn't affecting them with short term stuff. Long term, they will most likely suffer some consequences.

If games like Elden Ring are day 1 Game Pass games, but cost $60 for the PS5 version, stuff like that is gonna hurt Sony more and more as time goes on.

Long term what's impacting Sony is treating Japanese games and Japanese game fans as pointless when they've never been more popular. Nintendo is snatching and take away things of interest from PS like Monster Hunter Rise. As Sony neglects Japanese games this takes away from their portfolio variety - one of their biggest strengths traditionally. By focusing on dad simulator games they make Nintendo Switch more enticing to Japanese game fans because Sony isn't investing in it. MS just has to snatch some stuff away and PlayStation's luster will fade. A big part of Sony's success in the past was their variety: they catered to every game can across the map. By relying on third party to carry them they're taking those developers for granted as if they'll always be there. What happens when a company steals a few?

Consider MS or Sony Democratic or Republican and Switch as third party. By not appealing to certain fans Sony is losing votes to third party. Oscar himself is buying an Xbox series instead of PS5.

Sony is arrogant and time after time, we've seen what happens to arrogant game companies. They're losing a lot of good will. I don't expect them to be on top by next gen.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
Switch getting Rise was a natural outcome of Sony contractually locking Nintendo out of getting World when they gave Capcom cash for that back in the day. There was no way the dominant "portable" system in Japan wasn't getting a MH game, and I'm sure Capcom told Sony as such lol.

So because of Sony, instead of Switch getting a late, graphically inferior port of World that few people cared about, it's getting a buzzy console exclusive with all new monsters and mechanics, and is seen internally as Monster Hunter 6. I wonder if Sony has reflected and realized they were being shortsighted with that Capcom deal ("we don't care about Microsoft, just don't let Nintendo have it.")

(The Sony/Capcom stuff is rumor/speculation I should say.)

Agree with the rest of your post. :)

Himu

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
Switch getting Rise was a natural outcome of Sony contractually locking Nintendo out of getting World when they gave Capcom cash for that back in the day. There was no way the dominant "portable" system in Japan wasn't getting a MH game, and I'm sure Capcom told Sony as such lol.

So because of Sony, instead of Switch getting a late, graphically inferior port of World that few people cared about, it's getting a buzzy console exclusive with all new monsters and mechanics, and is seen internally as Monster Hunter 6. I wonder if Sony has reflected and realized they were being shortsighted with that Capcom deal ("we don't care about Microsoft, just don't let Nintendo have it.")

(The Sony/Capcom stuff is rumor/speculation I should say.)

Agree with the rest of your post. :)

Sony won't care because Sony has handed PlayStation to Americans whose only care is dem dollah bills. Short term thinking is modern PlayStation thinking. They won't reflect, and Nintendo will continue to take advantsge of Sony as they become the center for Japanese games. But Japanese games was a core part of Sony's appeal. But current Sony (again, managed by Americans and Europoors) belittles that history and doesn't think it's that important.

Combined, Nintendo and Microsoft can do a pretty painful bitch slap to Sony and I'm looking forward to seeing it and their current fanboys cry.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 01:48:40 PM »

At least they didn't wilfully sell broken NES controllers for its entire life cycle. At least there usually were a few more big games between their overpriced ports/remasters, which are now more overpriced than ever in 1st party droughts bigger than ever (considering that they don't support two platforms anymore) - now that they found out they can totally exploit the nostalgia-ridden manbabies that they've raised into having zero standards.

lol at rooting for more of this shit.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:56:28 PM by Spieler1 »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 01:53:31 PM »
MS has the best services for gamers

Sony has the best exclusives

Normally dog would be right upthread re: PC master race BUT JUST YOU TRY FUCKING BUILDING A NEW PC RIGHT NOW OR ANYTIME THIS YEAR so basically I'm buying a PS5 when I can get one because I absolutely do not give a fuck about gamepass, I barely like gaming but when I do want to play a game it will be in the shiniest way possible

Nintendo is babby but enjoyable babby
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 01:55:32 PM »
Re: monster hunter

Third parties aren't in any way shape or form 'loyal' to platform holders anymore, because there is no longer a need for them to bet on the 'right horse' in terms of technology or otherwise.
It's more a question of 'how many horses' they decide to bet on and when.

All Sony could do was stall the release of a new Monster Hunter on Nintendo systems as Capcom would not want to canabilize the sales of its own games.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 02:00:20 PM »
Sony? Exclusives? Pretty much every game that interests me isn't exclusive to PS.

Nintendo makes games that you don't have to just press up to beat.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 02:23:34 PM »
Sony? Exclusives? Pretty much every game that interests me isn't exclusive to PS.

That's nice  :)
yar

Tuckers Law

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »
We should’ve known Sony was headed into the dumpster as soon as they began putting euros in lead positions.  I mean, look at the kind of janky and floaty platformers they used to make on their amigas and whatnot.  They were a harbinger of doom to come.

paprikastaude

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »
Nintendo isn't going to steal anyone's support from Japan. Four years in and the majority that Switch gets is still old ports, remasters and more old ports. Around the same time, Nintendo DS was already rocking major franchises like Castlevania, Sonic, Contra, SMT, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and the majority of new IP from Japan with exclusive releases that were mostly superior to their console counterparts. Even PSP had a stronger grip on new Japanese exclusives than Switch  :doge Maybe because everyone knows you can rip off the Switch userbase no problem.

Monster Hunter is their first big get and we already know Capcom's leaked lineup. They'll cash in on Rise with a G version and then release Monster Hunter for Next Gen ~2022/23. Resident Evil will also get a spinoff for Nintendo after 8, before they'll continue making 9 and 4REmake on Next Gen.
MS will have to snap these things away continuously as day 1 Gamepass releases or something, otherwise Playstation will remain the platform that people will get Persona, Nier, Resident Evil, etc. on.

We should’ve known Sony was headed into the dumpster as soon as they began putting euros in lead positions.  I mean, look at the kind of janky and floaty platformers they used to make on their amigas and whatnot.  They were a harbinger of doom to come.

Considering the succcess of PS4, I have no idea why they replaced all the people that made it good. While Jim Ryan is the one that needed to be booted, badly :camby
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:18:50 PM by Spieler1 »

mormapope

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2021, 03:43:29 PM »
Nintendo must be doing something right, if they were the smelliest and most sickly dog in the room, 70 million Switches wouldn't have been sold. If you wanna guage the actual man babies, it would be anyone that bought a Wii-U.

Better yet, let's look at the Wii/DS period. Were there great DS games? Sure. Meanwhile, the Wii was basically a sea of D tier budget stinky dogshit games, with a few gems released periodically. One of those gems, Xenoblade Chronicles, took an online campaign and months and months of begging for Nintendo to port.

The Wii-U era was dismal. Even the 3DS, while it has a good library, was conceived as a 3D TV gimmick. Who the fuck in the past ten years has ever said "this 3DS game has excellent 3D, it utilizes 3D incredibly well!"

Nintendo has been consistent with all their software and design decisions for the past four years. Consistency isn't always exciting, god knows we all want a Team Ninja Metroid game again, or a videogame console or platform built around gimmicks, but consistency matters.
OH!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2021, 03:51:31 PM »
Switch owners been eating well on reheated leftovers from the Wii U.   :ufup

The system had its problems, yeah, but it also had a MiiVerse, so there!

paprikastaude

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
Nintendo must be doing something right, if they were the smelliest and most sickly dog in the room, 70 million Switches wouldn't have been sold. If you wanna guage the actual man babies, it would be anyone that bought a Wii-U.

Good for their marketing team. Doesn't change the reality that you won't be playing big mainline 3rd party Japanese games on Switch in the years to come, just like you couldn't in the last four years. Because apparently publishers view it as a port dumpster, while the main teams at FROM, Square, Capcom, etc. who did PS4/Bone games seem to continue doing next gen development, only now dropping a side game like Rise for a change.

mormapope

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »

Good for their marketing team. Doesn't change the reality that you won't be playing big mainline 3rd party Japanese games on Switch in the years to come, just like you couldn't in the last four years. Because apparently publishers view it as a port dumpster, while the main teams at FROM, Square, Capcom, etc. who did PS4/Bone games seem to continue doing next gen development, only now dropping a side game like Rise for a change.

This seems like an issue for Switch only owners that, for some reason, are expecting ports of mainline games to come out even if a Switch version is never announced.

Why do you think the Switch is successful? Has Nintendo done absolutely nothing right in your opinion, and somehow fell into global success due to.....what exactly?

OH!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 04:16:49 PM »
Angry at Nintendo has been spieler’s thing since forever, you get used to it.

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2021, 04:24:02 PM »
Nintendo admitted there was a Joy-Con flaw during a class-action lawsuit about Joy-Con flaws. They're also replacing them for free for the life of the controller, even out of warranty.

Yes, the flaw should be fixed. Maybe there are factors behind the scenes we're not aware of.

Short of the flaw being fixed, Nintendo's current stance is just about the most reasonable one you could expect of them. Maybe at the start, they handled things poorly, but I don't find fault with how they're acting regarding Joy-Cons these days.

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »
The Gamecube was down to $100 by late 2003 and you could buy the most popular games for $20 if they had the Player's Choice label.

That was when I grabbed a Gamecube and shitton of games for cheap. I was pretty stunned when I got a Switch and all the three year old games were still $60. RIP Players Choice.
野球

paprikastaude

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »

This seems like an issue for Switch only owners that, for some reason, are expecting ports of mainline games to come out even if a Switch version is never announced.

Why do you think the Switch is successful? Has Nintendo done absolutely nothing right in your opinion, and somehow fell into global success due to.....what exactly?

Certain expectations here seem that Switch can take the spot from others as the main place for Japanese gaming. Maybe that's true if your understanding of capturing main Japanese support is old re-releases and collections. If you mean playing the latest Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Nier, Nioh, Sekiro, or even small shit like Yakuza, etc., then that doesn't seem to be happening. Because what they are doing right for sales clearly doesn't correlate with that as an option for gamers. It reminds me of the GBA, which, despite its enormous sales success, I have no appreciation for, because of its overwhelming reliance on S/NES/Genesis ports and remakes. Monster Hunter might be opening the way up for a few sidegames, but there's been no signs of Switch getting main support anytime soon. But I guess that'd be good enough for me, if these games like "RE Outrage/Revelations 3" actually are exclusive. tbf I'd long have bought a Switch for such things if it didn't have broken controllers.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2021, 06:09:26 PM »

That was when I grabbed a Gamecube and shitton of games for cheap. I was pretty stunned when I got a Switch and all the three year old games were still $60. RIP Players Choice.

Gamecube library is now super sought-after... I've seen even famous, successful titles like Eternal Darkness and first party games go for $100. Then you have heavy hitters like Fire Emblem and Cubivore going for $300+. Even the component cables and the GBA Player are pretty expensive.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:14:19 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Rahxephon91

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »
Microsoft doesn’t make games I care about and I don’t care about Gamepass.

Nintendo doesn’t make things I care about, but there’s the occasional 3rd party exclusive or thing from Monolith Soft. Sucks that they are stuck on the Switch, but it is what it is.

Sony makes games I like and will still have 3rd party support.

That’s pretty much how I view things.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »

:comeon

Tasty

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

:comeon

Thread: The coming Cindi/Rahx war

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »

calling rise a side game lmao

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »
If you mean playing the latest Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Nier, Nioh, Sekiro, or even small shit like Yakuza, etc., then that doesn't seem to be happening.

Ditch Playstation and Xbox.  Get PC and Switch.  The best way to go.
:lawd
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2021, 12:14:52 AM »
There's no war, I just think that's a shallow insult. You can like Nintendo more, think their games are more creative, better designed, have more variety, or just, in general, think they are better. That's fine. I just think comparing them on some abstract and pointless "which ones more hardcore" is antiquated thinking. Games are more than which one is more tough and challenging. There's plenty of different factors at play that will speak to different people differntly. I think talking about the difficulty in games is stupid.  What I find hard, another may find easy, and vice versa.

That said I don't think people loved Breath of the Wild for its combat. While a gamer raised on Capcom may find God of War's mechanics easily breakable, another may find it a challenging action game. Either way I think saying it's "just press a button" is a bit reductive. Both publishers make casual friendly mass-market games. Sony stuff may be more checklesty and production values over all else, but I don't think most of them have no merits as games. Nintendo stuff may be better designed for you, but I don't think most modern Nintendo games are some hardcore intense deep mechanics games either.

remy

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2021, 12:32:39 AM »
god of war? more like hog sized bore  :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2021, 02:20:33 AM »
Microsoft doesn’t make games I care about

Yet
What

remy

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2021, 02:23:21 AM »
Microsoft published Doom Eternal. The best FPS I've played in years, would love to see Sony's attempt at publishing a game like that.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2021, 02:49:52 AM »
Microsoft published Doom Eternal. The best FPS I've played in years, would love to see Sony's attempt at publishing a game like that.

Can't wait for the next Doom to be in dev hell for 5 years and look like an N64 game when it's revealed :hyper