Author Topic: E3 hopes and dreams - THE DARKNESS IS SO THICK WE CAN TASTE IT  (Read 17602 times)

Bebpo

Re: E3 hopes and dreams - THE DARKNESS IS SO THICK WE CAN TASTE IT
« Reply #420 on: June 15, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »

And I mean SMT3's entire map was a fucking bright desert wasteland. Like RE8 being RE4 again, SMTV looks like it's taking SMT3 as its main inspiration with a bit of SMT4's anime characters.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #421 on: June 15, 2021, 11:24:01 PM »
I watched some Chaos demo and honestly it seemed to remind me of FF7 Remake, with the UI and the general flow of combat
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »
This game looks like it has the potential to be dope af too, and yes demi it will be a day 1 gamepass title

yar

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #423 on: June 16, 2021, 12:52:39 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

And I mean SMT3's entire map was a fucking bright desert wasteland. Like RE8 being RE4 again, SMTV looks like it's taking SMT3 as its main inspiration with a bit of SMT4's anime characters.

The game apparently makes reference to a war between angels and demons 18 years ago aka 2003 aka nocturne release date.

I bet that + the timing of nocturne remake mean this game is set after SMT3 as a direct sequel. the similar overworld makes sense if so.

Svejk

« Reply #425 on: June 16, 2021, 07:24:56 AM »
I dunno that Avatar game looks pretty dookie because, you know, Avatar, but by and large you're right- there's a shit ton of promising games coming to like, all the systems and shit.

However, this is a video games forum on the internet, so THERE WILL BE BITCHING
i thought frontiers of pandora looked quite pretty, and seems like it's going to play like a sci-fi fantasy far cry. could be a fun hollywood gaming romp. i know so many people employed in wellington atm working on this franchise lol.

digging the laputa vibe of the botw2 trailer
I was totally giddy about Avatar... Not that I'm gonna play it (at least, wasn't planning on it), but my daughter is a huge Avatar fan!  So I was super excited with her.  :heart

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #426 on: June 16, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »
The SMTV UI is kind of ugly, too many colors and clashing fonts reminiscent of a mobile gatcha. I much preferred the clean, simplified look of Nocturne and DDS.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #427 on: June 16, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »
SMT V looks great, y'all just leave this one to the real gamers.
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #429 on: June 16, 2021, 12:58:06 PM »
https://kotaku.com/why-was-nintendos-switch-pro-missing-from-e3-1846986576

I can’t blame anyone for expecting Nintendo to reveal a New Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Pro or Super Nintendo Switch or what have you alongside E3 2021. It seemed far more likely than Metroid Dread being revived, at least. Not only is E3 the biggest video game industry event of the year, but the months leading up to the show were full of credible reporting about an imminent Switch-related announcement. And I don’t mean from some random jerk on Reddit or 4chan.

I'd love to see some of those "credible reporters" insider track records actually compared to some of the better known reddit leakers (or whatever that 4chan hashing system uses to retain accounts)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #430 on: June 16, 2021, 01:18:49 PM »
A day later, Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier (who didn’t write the original story) made a speculative Tweet about the possibility of a reveal that night. His tweet, which he tells Kotaku was misinterpreted as definite proof, has since been deleted but a screenshot has been saved here.

:lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #431 on: June 16, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
SMT V looks great, y'all just leave this one to the real gamers.

You think I'm gonna let a buttugly UI stop me from turn-based SMT goodness? :P
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #432 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
The "serious games journalism" apology tour for the lack of a switch pro announcement has begun.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/06/15/so-whats-the-deal-with-the-nintendo-switch-pro/?sh=53bf80f43e79

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendos-switch-pro-no-show-at-e3-re-set-your-2021-expectations/

With Nintendo you never know. They could announce it the day after E3 or they canned it because they weren't happy with the product. :trumps
If it was supposed to be at E3 there should've been more signs. With the state Zelda was in this definitely wasn't one of those "oops we pulled it at the last minute"
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #433 on: June 16, 2021, 02:08:44 PM »
you have to imagine its down to the chip shortage, whats the point in cock teasing people with one if you can only manufacture 10k units (worldwide) for launch
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #434 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:06 PM »
I was thinking during the announcement of Kazuya in Smash, how lame it is, to have fighting game characters as guests in a fighting game like Smash.

What was fun about Smash was seeing characters that didn't usually fight (or fight like that) in a fighting context, like Mario, Ness, Kirby etc.
To have characters who already fighting game characters in, is just boring.

I get that it's a pedigree thing, but i guess i'm also one of those thinking the game should be less FGC style shit, and more party game.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #435 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:32 PM »
I feel like there's enough legit smoke for there to be a fire (the big tell is the screen manufacturer mentioning it on an earnings call or whatever)

The delay is probably a combo of the chip shortage, Zelda delay due to pandemic/whatever, and The Nintendo Difference: Please Understand™

On the one hand I have some level of sympathy for the "games journalists" who were just reporting what are most likely legit leaks from reputable sources, on the other hand who doesn't love a good dragging of the self important wankers that make up that esteemed club (also I am constitutionally incapable of NOT trolling nintendo/ninthings when the opportunity arises, so)
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #436 on: June 16, 2021, 02:37:24 PM »
They weren't just wrong about the Switch Pro, they were wrong on basically everything.
From Metroid Prime Trilogy to a Zelda Anniversary collection.

Nintendo pulled a fast one and dug up Metroid Dread, which they mostly stopped talking about last year.
Everything Nintendo showed wasn't on their lists.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: June 16, 2021, 02:52:31 PM »

I can’t blame anyone for expecting Nintendo to reveal a New Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Pro or Super Nintendo Switch or what have you alongside E3 2021. It seemed far more likely than Metroid Dread being revived, at least. Not only is E3 the biggest video game industry event of the year, but the months leading up to the show were full of credible reporting about an imminent Switch-related announcement. And I don’t mean from some random jerk on Reddit or 4chan.

I'd love to see some of those "credible reporters" insider track records actually compared to some of the better known reddit leakers (or whatever that 4chan hashing system uses to retain accounts)

"Browsing resetera dot com and making stories out of rumor posts."
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »

:girlaff

https://www.resetera.com/threads/jason-schreier-suggests-that-the-switch-pro-could-be-announced-tonight.432362/page-3#post-65882963
Quote from: Jason Schreier on 5/27/21
I don't know for sure it's tonight. If I was reporting something that I knew to be true I wouldn't say "possibly." All I know for a fact is that it's happening and getting announced soon.

:foodcourt
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #439 on: June 16, 2021, 02:57:30 PM »
They weren't just wrong about the Switch Pro, they were wrong on basically everything.
From Metroid Prime Trilogy to a Zelda Anniversary collection.

Nintendo pulled a fast one and dug up Metroid Dread, which they mostly stopped talking about last year.
Everything Nintendo showed wasn't on their lists.

Here's the thing- I could see how vague leaks led to those rumors.

Source at Nintendo, knowing about Metroid Dread: "Prime 4 is still in development, no news about that but there's something metroid related"

Idiot games journalist: ZOMG A HD PRIME TRILOGY, MAKES PERFECT SENSE

Source at Nintendo, knowing about BS game and watch: "There will be a Zelda anniversary announcement/collection"

Idiot games journalist: ZOMG ZELDA ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION JUST LIKE MARIO CONFIRMED

The problem is that they don't just report the vague rumors as they get them, it's almost assuredly that they try to extrapolate and figure out what Nintendo is going to do
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #440 on: June 16, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
you have to imagine its down to the chip shortage, whats the point in cock teasing people with one if you can only manufacture 10k units (worldwide) for launch

But at the same time, Nintendo is legendary for using perceived "chip shortages" to spur demand...
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #441 on: June 16, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »
It's tonight.
Switch Pro announcement.
Book it.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #442 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
did your uncle tell you?
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #443 on: June 16, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »

But at the same time, Nintendo is legendary for using perceived "chip shortages" to spur demand...

Nintendo is also legendary for just being a real dick and doing whatever the fuck they want tho

The trick to Nintendo is to never expect anything and just enjoy paying full price for the things they do announce if you like them.

/goes and buys Origami King for $41.99...

Tuckers Law

« Reply #444 on: June 16, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
I’m not gonna lie: I preordered that Game and Watch along with my copy of Dread.  I like the Mario one well enough, and like the clock functionality of it.

also I am constitutionally incapable of NOT trolling nintendo/ninthings when the opportunity arises, so

The funny thing is even if this wasn’t the case, we are plenty good at trolling ourselves as well, especially when trying to oracle whatever meaning from the weird specks of Nintendo info that escape into the wild from time to time.

Svejk

« Reply #445 on: June 16, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »

I now see where 120fps would be required to play a game remotely smooth.... if at all.   wtf

Himu

« Reply #446 on: June 16, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »
For me it's not desert setting (as SMT3 had that) but tone. All the colors. The brightness. It looks pop to be SMT, which has origins in horror. Nothing about that trailer or video speaks anything of the horror elements of SMT's past.

I watched the PV and it confirmed my feelings. It's trying extremely hard to look cool, it's almost embarrassing. Sliding down deserts, looking all anime. I like SMT because, for the most part, it's subdued. This is extremely extra. :idont I won't be purchasing it.

Certainly, there could be horror in it, but the way they're marketing it says otherwise. Better to trust what they're showing rather than putting all hope that it's traditional Megaten horror. I'll replay past games instead.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:32:02 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #447 on: June 16, 2021, 06:25:21 PM »
What is it with Ubisoft games just dissapearing.
I just realized they were working on
Prince of Persia Sands of Time Remake

Where did it go  :lol
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #448 on: June 16, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »
For me it's not desert setting (as SMT3 had that) but tone. All the colors. The brightness. It looks pop to be SMT, which has origins in horror. Nothing about that trailer or video speaks anything of the horror elements of SMT's past.

I watched the PV and it confirmed my feelings. It's trying extremely hard to look cool, it's almost embarrassing. Sliding down deserts, looking all anime. I like SMT because, for the most part, it's subdued. This is extremely extra. :idont I won't be purchasing it.

I wouldn't read much into it. It's a Japanese game on Switch, it'll obviously have some weebness in it and an anime look (as the system doesn't do realism well) but that doesn't necessarily mean the entire game is.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »
Everyone called it shit (rightfully so) and they sent it back to the drawing board, AFAIK.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »
Everyone called it shit (rightfully so) and they sent it back to the drawing board, AFAIK.
My bro said they put an entirely different team on it after making such a hoopla that it was head up by the folks in Mumbai  :lol
🤴

Himu

« Reply #451 on: June 16, 2021, 06:35:05 PM »

It's really interesting how gamers are incapable of targeting someone's main points. Only one person brought up the desert setting, and it wasn't me. I attacked its lack of emphasis on horror immediately. Uncle brought up the setting. I'm all about tone. But like all gamers, you have some gotcha point instead of countering my issue.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #452 on: June 16, 2021, 09:21:14 PM »
I wasn't trying to represent cindi's viewpoint, just my own and I was being half facetious anyway

I never played 3 so I didn't know there was a desert before but I do prefer a grungy twisted metal apocalypse to a bright one

:idont
Uncle

remy

« Reply #453 on: June 16, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »

It's really interesting how gamers are incapable of targeting someone's main points. Only one person brought up the desert setting, and it wasn't me. I attacked its lack of emphasis on horror immediately. Uncle brought up the setting. I'm all about tone. But like all gamers, you have some gotcha point instead of countering my issue.

The Japanese trailer pretty clearly has some horror/creepy scenes and the game takes place during a demonic apocolypse/biblical war.

Complaining it's not like Strange Journey meaning it's not real SMT seems weird considering if anything that Strange Journey is the outlier.

It being set in antartica instead of tokyo and having the obvious western sci fi/The Thing influence makes it kinda feel like it's own thing. I think that's probably why they called it SJ instead of SMT 4. Of the mainline SMT games I've played 3, 4 and SJ I would say SJ is the most overtly horror one.

It's also weird to get up in arms because the main character has a anime kamen rider/super sentai vibe (nothing new considering past demon designs in SMT) when SMT has always had anime stuff in it.

Also: people talking online about what is and isn't real SMT is exhausting to me. I came late. I haven't played SMT 1 or 2, and I don't really care what is and isn't real SMT. SMT branded games and spinoffs have such a broad variety of settings, themes and vibes that if I see demons, apocalyptic setting and press turn i'm down.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:12:50 PM by remy »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #454 on: June 16, 2021, 09:42:01 PM »
If gamers are incapable of arguing then I think they are also incapable of accepting media changes.

SMT 1 and 2 came out in the 90s. An era of extreme multi media computer focus. An era where something like Lain and it’s depiction of computers seemed plausible.  It’s look and tone reflect that era. SMT3 doesn’t reflect that look and tone either. Neither does 4. The series has changed with the influence of the time. If you don’t like the look that’s fine. But the trailer displayed plenty of horror like creatures. So it hasn’t dropped that.

Yeah it doesn’t look very cyberpunk. It does look like more modern anime. But as awesome as the character art is in these games. It’s not like Kaneko’s art wasn’t out there for 90s aesthetic.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:51:37 PM by Rahxephon91 »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #455 on: June 16, 2021, 09:46:46 PM »
hey now, i think because you are a GAMER you are INCAPABLE of targeting my main points  :kinison
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #456 on: June 16, 2021, 11:13:22 PM »
Strange Journey was only one example but ok.

It's extremely flashy. They're showing off flash in a series not known for it. :idont
IYKYK

remy

« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2021, 11:27:21 PM »

a guy with black jorts and glowing neon shaman tattoos punching the shit out of the netherworld was pretty flashy... this a game where dante jumps off a building and shoots you with two guns

Himu

« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2021, 12:12:03 AM »
See. Gamers with their gotcha arguments.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2021, 12:19:24 AM »
It for sure is lacking the grit and grime of the early games. And the music and visuals don't remind me of the quiet abstract apocalypse feeling of 3. It's a bit more bright and colorful sure.

I still think it looks solid. It certainly doesn't look like some cheerful jpop jrpg or something though.

remy

« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2021, 01:01:02 AM »
I like flashy stuff  :doge

Fusion animation

Bebpo

« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2021, 03:25:43 AM »
I'm getting old and it all looks the same to me whether it's Nocturne or Persona 5 or SMTV or whatever /shrug

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
Gamers gotta Gatcha 'em all  8)
🤴

remy

« Reply #463 on: June 18, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »
just thinking about how blessed I am that SMT is staying true to its roots with an excellent classic turn based battle system instead of turning into a half baked action game like other long running rpg series

thetylerrob

« Reply #464 on: June 18, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »

a guy with black jorts and glowing neon shaman tattoos punching the shit out of the netherworld was pretty flashy... this a game where dante jumps off a building and shoots you with two guns

Demifiend is the dumbest fucking character design ever  :era