Author Topic: Steam Deck announced | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (no OLED)  (Read 2786 times)

Coax

SteamOS is just a background layer to you using Steam like normal, especially in big picture mode. It's when you start wanting to install other stuff (non-Steam stuff) that you'll have to know anything about Linux. (Or install Windows)

Seems it'll be running KDE Plasma which seems pretty easy to use for such times one would want to interact with the rest of the OS.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
The only tragedy in all of this is that it's been almost a week and no one has made a "Ready for a Miracle" steam deck video, fuck the internet
yar

benjipwns

Seems it'll be running KDE Plasma which seems pretty easy to use for such times one would want to interact with the rest of the OS.
Oh, then it'll be pretty darn easy to install/tweak stuff in a Windows-like environment if need be.

Like for RetroArch, you would just need to install the snap store (if it's not already installed by Valve), then it's one click to install RetroArch from that. (Then just add a shortcut in Steam and you could stay in big picture mode or whatever.) All the emulator cores you grab from inside RetroArch, so you'd never have to leave a controller based interface except to install the snap store and since the Deck has those touchpads...

Interesting that SteamOS used to just be a barely repurposed Ubuntu and now it's ArchLinux running KDE with Proton and everything built for its own distribution like this. They've really been tinkering with this since the SteamBoxes.

remy

• The abominable Hoeman
Oh, then it'll be pretty darn easy to install/tweak stuff in a Windows-like environment if need be.

Like for RetroArch, you would just need to install the snap store (if it's not already installed by Valve), then it's one click to install RetroArch from that. (Then just add a shortcut in Steam and you could stay in big picture mode or whatever.) All the emulator cores you grab from inside RetroArch, so you'd never have to leave a controller based interface except to install the snap store and since the Deck has those touchpads...

Interesting that SteamOS used to just be a barely repurposed Ubuntu and now it's ArchLinux running KDE with Proton and everything built for its own distribution like this. They've really been tinkering with this since the SteamBoxes.

You don't even really have to do that because retroarch is on steam. you can just install it directly from steam and then you're good to go. Then you just put your roms on your SD card or whatever, like any other device on earth

benjipwns

RetroArch on Steam is in a weird position, it only has ten cores available and it's not available to everyone. Hopefully this will change with SteamDeck though. But yeah, that would be the ideal situation.

remy

• The abominable Hoeman
Ahh didn't know that. just saw over the page that you were already aware.

Oh well. it's not like typing "pacman -S retroarch" into terminal is hard. :doge It is funny seeing how many gamers online have no clue about linux. i forget not everyone is a supernerd like me

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Like benji said, the retroarch situation on steam is some sort of weird half assed beta? When I saw it initially I was like, "why the fuck would retroarch want to be on steam anyway?" but I immediately had a eureka moment when I learned the steam deck will be running steam OS out of the box. If they CAN get everything running nice through steam, great. If not, whatever, there will be a million and one ways to get emus running on this thing.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Some good info in here

yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Looks like things are better now compared to the last time I tried it, but the load times are noticeably longer on some games.
ど助平

Nintex

• #freefiller
16GB is going to help a lot with this.
Maybe they'll use smart memory access for an additional boost.
🤴

Bebpo

So in terms of like Linux/SteamOS support, I just noticed that FF1-6 Pixel Remasters don't have Linux/SteamOS support so they won't run on Steam Deck at this moment. Apparently 0 FF games on Steam have Mac or Linux support. Lol SE.

Which is ridiculous for simple 2d stuff like this.

Hopefully Valve can really "make all Steam games compatible" by Steam Deck's release like they are touting.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
The ff games seem to run fine via proton.

https://www.protondb.com/search?q=Final%20fantasy

The pixel ones haven’t been tested yet, but I’d be shocked if they didn’t run.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Didn't the pixel remasters just come out? There's probably not enough data on the proton compatibility with them just yet but I can't imagine it will be hard to get them to work
yar

MMaRsu

Re: Steam Deck announced | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (no OLED)
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2021, 01:34:47 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2021, 01:57:10 PM »
Looks like a bunch of different outlets got access to it

yar

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2021, 04:52:21 PM »
 :lol

Pissy F Benny

• Moroccan soyboy
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
the weak chin on giant dad sim has me :rofl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »
“We’re sorry about this—we did our best to work around the global supply chain issues, but due to material shortages, components aren’t reaching our manufacturing facilities in time for us to meet our initial launch dates,” Valve wrote. “Based on our updated build estimates, Steam Deck will start shipping to customers February 2022. This will be the new start date of the reservation queue—all reservation holders keep their place in line but dates will shift back accordingly.”
:doge

Bebpo

« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2021, 07:12:25 PM »
I was already Q2 so it's vaporware to me until I have one /shrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
Blah, blah, supply chain, blah…