Author Topic: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (yes OLED)  (Read 29558 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (no OLED)
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »
It also depends on what you play.
I finished Shredder's Revenge, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 and the latter half of Ace Combat 7 back to back in like 2 weeks.
Taking a break from 80+ hours of Elden Ring.

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2022, 11:15:28 PM »
I don't think I've beaten 14 games in the last 7 years. :doge

Wonder what Backloggery says? :thinking

- Super Mario Odyssey (12-23-17)
- Sonic Mania (4-16-18)
- Xeodrifter (5-28-18)
- Mutant Mudds Collection (6-12-18)
- Pokemon Moon (6-23-18)
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (2-9-20)
- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (2-19-20)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (4-9-20)
- Monster Hunter Rise (6-15-21)
- Omori (7-21-21)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - World of Light (10-27-21)

Yep. :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #302 on: July 18, 2022, 11:10:27 PM »
Gaben said I can get the deck, should I cop? :thinking
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: July 18, 2022, 11:13:05 PM »
Gaben said I can get the deck, should I cop? :thinking

GET YOU A GABE BOY :gaben
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: July 19, 2022, 01:59:52 AM »
Most of the games I want to play on it aren’t even officially compatible, but it looks like a lot of things work if you install Proton GE.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2022, 08:07:22 AM »
Most of the games I want to play on it aren’t even officially compatible, but it looks like a lot of things work if you install Proton GE.

Have yet to try anything that wasn't playable!
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »
I couldn't get DBFZ to work.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2022, 02:35:03 PM »
I couldn't get DBFZ to work.

It looks like it works with Proton-GE compatibility enabled.

ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:32 AM »
Got my Deck yesterday. First thing I tried was Trails in the Sky SC, which isn’t officially supported but some people said it worked on non-official versions of Proton. I tried to run it with Proton GE and just got a black screen, but it worked with Proton Experimental. The next thing I tried was the Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ which is Verified and it ran great.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2022, 10:07:44 AM »
Played some EDF: Insect Armageddon last night. :gun
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2022, 05:13:04 PM »
I'm only playing two games on it. Opus Echoes of Starsong and SRW 30, but enjoying it after a couple of weeks.

That said, just like the Switch it gives me nerve cramps in my hand when playing in bed after a while. With Switch there's the Hori Pro things for better grip, but not sure if there's any solution for the Deck.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2022, 11:29:09 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2022, 12:12:46 AM »
We need :gaben + :miyamoto / :patel

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2022, 04:48:10 PM »
Been playing Binding of Isaac on the Deck. It's a great game to just pick up and play 30-45 minutes. I played a ton of OG Isaac and Rebirth, but there's still a ton of stuff I never unlocked on Afterbirth (and I never even played Repentance).
©@©™

thetylerrob

« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2022, 02:02:56 PM »
I'm probably the only person to do a complete play-through of Binary Domain on a Steam Deck. That game owns and the Steam Deck owns.

Bebpo

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2022, 01:44:06 AM »
Return to Monkey Island looks and plays really really well on Steam Deck. Actually prefer it to playing on a desktop with a mouse.

I should play more point and click adventure games that have controller support on this.

Bebpo

« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2022, 01:58:57 AM »
It kills the battery life though.

Went from 100% to 51% in about an hour.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
Return to Monkey Island looks and plays really really well on Steam Deck. Actually prefer it to playing on a desktop with a mouse.

I should play more point and click adventure games that have controller support on this.

I haven't tried it on there yet- played on my laptop last night.  Does touch input work too?
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2022, 12:59:30 PM »
It kills the battery life though.

Went from 100% to 51% in about an hour.

:pika that legitimately surprised me lmao

Bebpo

« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2022, 01:27:23 PM »
I'm not using any of the tricks for better battery life though (cap framerate, lower gpu speed), so that's running at default at around 50% brightness.

I haven't tried it on there yet- played on my laptop last night.  Does touch input work too?

Yep.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
Got my 512MB chunky boi en route.

Is there a good way to get GOG running upon it, or is it a case of resorting to hacky desktop mode kludges?
woke

Polident Hive

« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2022, 10:57:30 PM »

Whenever I get one, I’m gonna do this. Batocera isn’t the best of the best emulation platform, but from using it on Raspberry Pi, it’s cohesive and simple. Guy has another video on stand alone emulators. 60 FPS Skate 3 on a handheld  :ohhh

What’s amazing is the $399 model emulates as good as some $800 APU mini PCs. Even if you leave it plugged in as a console, it bests others on the market.

May get the 512 model out of laziness. Swapping the ssd isn’t trivial. Cost of the unusual ssd, you’re halfway to the price jump already. Or I’ll deal with 64 for now and swap when larger sizes are priced reasonably.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2022, 11:39:33 PM »
Monkey Island plays great with gamepad controls!
:lawd
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2022, 11:50:54 PM »
Is there a good way to get GOG running upon it, or is it a case of resorting to hacky desktop mode kludges?

Not sure. Googling around seems best for specific things you want to get running. I'd assume any program you want to run that doesn't have an actual steam database entry so it'll pop up on search within SteamOS will need to be run in desktop mode.

I still haven't even installed any versions of Proton besides the default. After a day or two of messing with the deck I just decided I'll deal with tweaking when I play something on it that doesn't work. And considering how few games a year I play anymore, it'll probably be a while until I run into one of those lol

Coax

« Reply #324 on: September 21, 2022, 04:41:48 AM »
I wonder what happens if you add non-Steam games to the library (such as DRM-free games from GOG), like you can do on the Windows version of Steam. As that would launch the game via Steam normally, with Steam's overlay IIRC.

Would first require installing the games though which would likely require fiddling via desktop mode.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2022, 06:45:08 AM »
Whilst my Steamdeck is still stuck in courier limbo over in Super Nintex Land..... can anybody who has one tell me what's the average battery life of these like?

I get that it can vary wildly based on the type of game / screen brightness etc but I also think the proton and OS level optimisations may play a part in this as well. If they've patched the kernel scheduler to work in a more power efficent way, for example, it may well be that native ports of games squeeze more out of the battery without the extra cost of Wine's interpretation overhead.

tl;dr I'm going to take this bad boy on a few business trips with me instead of a gaming laptop. Can I expect similar battery life? Will it get me through a 4 hour flight?
woke

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:47 AM »
Whilst my Steamdeck is still stuck in courier limbo over in Super Nintex Land..... can anybody who has one tell me what's the average battery life of these like?

I get that it can vary wildly based on the type of game / screen brightness etc but I also think the proton and OS level optimisations may play a part in this as well. If they've patched the kernel scheduler to work in a more power efficent way, for example, it may well be that native ports of games squeeze more out of the battery without the extra cost of Wine's interpretation overhead.

tl;dr I'm going to take this bad boy on a few business trips with me instead of a gaming laptop. Can I expect similar battery life? Will it get me through a 4 hour flight?

I can't because of the reasons you already mentioned- it's going to depend on the game and what settings you're running it on.

Good video on getting the best battery life, but may also be a bit dated already as more OS features have been added since then:

He got about 3.5 hours in Control at 540P and 30 FPS.

If I were going on a trip and didn't have any place to plug in, I'd definitely get a power bank to take along.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:45:57 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: September 21, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
I wonder what happens if you add non-Steam games to the library (such as DRM-free games from GOG), like you can do on the Windows version of Steam. As that would launch the game via Steam normally, with Steam's overlay IIRC.

Would first require installing the games though which would likely require fiddling via desktop mode.

You can add Epic and GOG games via the Heroic Launcher.  Haven't tried this yet- would like to to get Sifu on there.

There are some issues with doing this and at one point, access to Epic wasn't working, but got restored AFAIK.  Some games won't run at all.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:17:20 AM by bork »
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #328 on: September 21, 2022, 09:59:01 AM »
as some people have talked about elsewhere, for battery life + performance, try locking to 40 FPS

the frame time is 25ms which is exactly halfway between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, so due to the way the math works out it feels much better than 30 but is only a mild performance increase
Uncle

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: September 21, 2022, 11:53:29 AM »
Id love to have a Steam Deck but I think I'll wait for a V2 with better battery life
What

« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2022, 12:01:23 PM »

I’ve had the thing about a week so I won’t pretend to know the most optimal way to use other programs to manage installs. If it’s a portable directory you have you can just copy from a share directory on your PC. If it’s an installer you can first add the installer as a non steam game. Launch via Steam (probably need to set the compatibility to latest Proton or ProtonGE), install it, then you can clean up the install package and delete that link from your steam library.

Next add non-steam game (for a second time if you used an installer as opposed to copying the files) and point to the installed exe. Again, probably want to configure compatibility.

Tasty

« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2022, 09:46:57 PM »
Tasty with the deep cut Sid Meier lore :whew

Best strategy game EVAH :heartbeat

My own quote got me to try and install SMAC on my Fedora desktop tonight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/v22jjn/i_cant_believe_i_can_finally_play_alpha_centauri/

God bless Valve, God bless Proton, God bless Linux. :preach

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: September 23, 2022, 07:37:10 AM »
CoD: Modern Warfare II open beta won't run on Steam OS.  Not sure if it's just the anti-cheat system it uses or something else, but it has been confirmed that Activision isn't going to do anything to get it working on Linux and you have to run the game on Windows for it to work.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #333 on: September 23, 2022, 03:51:22 PM »
Hey Bork, did Monkey Island stop working on your deck?

I tried last night and it played sound but just had a black screen after multiple attempts. I tried changing to an older version of Proton and that fixed it. Was using the latest version. But I was using the latest version the other nights I played and it played no problem.

I'm wondering if the game got patched and the patch broke it on the latest version of proton or if there's a new version of proton steam downloaded and that's not compatible with it.

First time I've had to mess around with the proton settings for a game in deck.

*edit* Yeah, seems like patch 1.2 created some issues. Look at all those red comments saying game was working fine until yesterday:
https://www.protondb.com/app/2060130

I do notice this is a thing for Steam Deck/Proton, where minor game patches for games totally fuck up Deck/Linux compatibility. Not sure why that should happen so often but seems to be a thing with numerous games.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:31:21 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
That sucks. At least there's a way to get it working again.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Fwiw, unchecking fullscreen seems to fix it on the latest proton. Changes the aspect ratio slightly to a bit more letterbox but otherwise it's fine. Something about a directx/fullscreen issue.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2022, 03:52:23 AM »
CoD: Modern Warfare II open beta won't run on Steam OS.  Not sure if it's just the anti-cheat system it uses or something else, but it has been confirmed that Activision isn't going to do anything to get it working on Linux and you have to run the game on Windows for it to work.

Be glad the game is a turd I uninstalled after 1 match 🤣
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »

Be glad the game is a turd I uninstalled after 1 match 🤣

I've been having some fun with the beta- It's a lot better than vanguard and I like the third person mode too.

:idont
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2022, 12:09:30 PM »
I honestly played 1 match and thought, yeah its allright but there is just nothing interesting about it to me.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: October 06, 2022, 02:53:04 PM »
New stable OS update is up today, too!  Yay and stuff.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #341 on: October 06, 2022, 05:05:13 PM »
Linux :rejoice :gaben

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: October 06, 2022, 09:34:26 PM »
The official dock is also available for purchase- it's pricey at $89.99, but it does come with an extra AC adapter.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeckdock

3 x USB-A 3.1 Gen1 Ports
Gigabit Ethernet
DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 - MST (Multi-Stream Transport) enabling multi-monitor support
Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz
FreeSync support

Ships in 1-2 weeks.

ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #343 on: October 06, 2022, 09:53:56 PM »
Did they not have a dock before now? I thought they did since Day 1?

Or were people just using 3rd party docks?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2022, 01:34:55 AM »
There was only third-party docks before now
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: October 07, 2022, 08:23:32 PM »
Pls bring Gamepass to the Deck
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: October 09, 2022, 11:13:14 AM »
Man these guys are fast:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/10/jsaux-wasted-no-time-with-a-new-steam-deck-docking-station-with-displayport/

Cheaper than the official dock, but I've seen some negative user reviews on their products regarding QA.

Sticking with the official dock- which looks to be shipping this week.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2022, 10:00:01 AM »
Thinking of getting one of these, I imagine it does shit like gamecube and ps2 emulation just fine?
(ice)

thetylerrob

« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Yeah, I've had no issues with anything I've emulated. There is a plugin you can use called Powertools that you can use to limit the cores the Deck uses to improve fps stability. Just youtube it.

Old games I tested:
Gamecube - SSX games, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Eternal Darkness
PS2 - Chulip, NFL 2k5, Shadow Hearts
Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Dynamite Cop, CvS2

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »
 :leon
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »
Valve is fast- the Deck Dock just arrived.  It comes in actual packaging this time, although instead of saying "Steam Deck dock," it says "Connect your Deck."

:heh

It's pretty small, especially compared to the universal dock I was using previously.  Feels weighty enough not to move around and has no branding apart from the Steam Deck logo, also in black, on the top part.  I wish that the USB-C connection cable was removable and that's pretty much the only complaint I have.  Will try it out shortly.  You can actually update the dock's firmware via Steam OS which is kinda neat.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:24:53 PM by bork »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #354 on: October 13, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
Needs to be a clip-on, but I approve.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Bebpo

« Reply #356 on: October 14, 2022, 07:57:16 PM »
Finally installed Proton-GE. Haven't needed to use it yet, but was reading Triangle Strategy PC release impressions and apparently you need it because of denuvo crap and I had some time so looked up how to install it.

Was really easy  :hump

This is a nice piece of hardware/software outside the battery life and that it's still designed in a way that gives me hand cramps like the Switch after a bit because the hard edges dig into my palms. I miss old school handhelds that were smaller and curved and didn't cramp into your palms like the DS/3DS/PSP/Vita.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: October 14, 2022, 10:20:00 PM »
PSP is da goat
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2022, 08:32:38 AM »
Ordered one and it's being shipped, which is quicker turn around than expected because it says one to two weeks and I ordered it Sunday :leon

Let's see how long it takes to get here from the NETHERLANDS :nintex
(ice)