Author Topic: Steam Deck announced | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (no OLED)  (Read 8815 times)

Tasty

Seeing the "Console gamers are scrubs! What's so hard about tweaking an INI file?" crowd meet the "Linux is too complicated for PC gaming!" crowd has been pretty wild.

benjipwns

The Steam RetroArch (on both OSes) is so weirdly behind the regular one that I don't even see the point if you don't want to only use the emulators it has available. That said, RetroArch itself has a problem of sprawling all over the place like this on Linux, even the "normal" versions don't put everything you need in proper locations like THE FUCKING USER FOLDER and I think it remains another frankly baffling RetroArch decision to not let you open to the folder from inside the program because it would "break the full screen experience" like fuck you, if I'm taking the step of wanting to open directly to the folder you decided to throw all your junk into I know I'm breaking the experience because you're making me paste shit or edit files already to fix something. Then there's shit like how it won't recognize certain file types and literally nothing in the program tells you this, so your easy iso rip of some game you actually own is somehow illegitimate and you have to find a specific pack out there on the internet that might not even have any seeds.

It can make you feel like siding with the people who claim RetroArch is the worst thing to ever happen to emulation and needs to be banned by the FCC.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:07:37 AM by benjipwns »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
even though the experience is riddled with bugs here and there, and there will be moments of getting hard locked and needing to hold down the power button, it's still awesome to play graphically intensive modern games on this thing

the most common problems in my experience will be suddenly having no buttons do anything, almost all the major issues I've had have been related to the buttons not being mapped at various times, or mapped to dumb configurations, or having your right pad mouse control cut out and then eventually return

these problems are also usually related to fucking game launchers like Rockstar Social Club or the initial windows that pop up before you get into a Bethesda game

also, I played some Playstation games for a few hours which have confirm as circle, and my thumb got really cramped, there's not really a good way to hold it and have B as your primary button for extended periods of time
Uncle

Polident Hive

One of those nights I find myself watching videos of the Steam Deck, tempted to impulse buy. Maybe it’s good I can’t.

Whatever ergonomic woes it has, it can’t be worse than the GPD Win. Cool device dropping at the start of these handheld pc boom. Unpleasant to use.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
One of those nights I find myself watching videos of the Steam Deck, tempted to impulse buy. Maybe itís good I canít.

Whatever ergonomic woes it has, it canít be worse than the GPD Win. Cool device dropping at the start of these handheld pc boom. Unpleasant to use.

Can't say I found any GPD model unpleasant to use- they keep improving the ergonomics, too.  But QA is another story.  :lol :-\
ど助平

Polident Hive

Itís a couple things with my GPD Win 1. Placement and quality of buttons, heat and fan exhaust, no good grip. Of what Iíve used, Win 2 has improvements in every area. And to its credit, it remains the smallest of all these devices.

The type of design the Steam Deck went with appeals to me more.

Bebpo

One of those nights I find myself watching videos of the Steam Deck, tempted to impulse buy. Maybe itís good I canít.

Whatever ergonomic woes it has, it canít be worse than the GPD Win. Cool device dropping at the start of these handheld pc boom. Unpleasant to use.

What's the delivery window for new orders at this point?

I pre-ordered in the first hour or two and I'm still Q3 2022.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Itís a couple things with my GPD Win 1. Placement and quality of buttons, heat and fan exhaust, no good grip. Of what Iíve used, Win 2 has improvements in every area. And to its credit, it remains the smallest of all these devices.

The type of design the Steam Deck went with appeals to me more.

The problem with the Win 2 was bad hinge design.  Very high chance it would break- I took really good care of mine and it still happened.  Had to have the whole outer shell replaced and I never used it much after that since I worried it would just break again.  I sold it off to get a Win Max in 2020 and that, while much larger, has a sturdier and better design, plus a better d-pad and buttons.  Also got a Win 3 last year and it went back to a smaller form factor (about the size of a Switch Lite) with the same excellent d-pad and buttons.  Am tempted to sell both models off and get the Win Max 2021 (the new model coming out is going to be even larger and that's just getting ridiculous) instead, but I dunno.  I see myself likely just using the Steam Deck when I get it and not bothering with GPD anymore.  Guess we'll see.  I do like that they're back on the mini-laptop clamshell design, but the increased costs and larger sizes make them seem pointless.  Might as well just get a 14" ASUS or Razer laptop for a bit more.
ど助平

Polident Hive

I've come to dislike clamshell designs, for my personal usage. Less traveling and more I want to play this outside my office. Go on my balcony and play.

Been keeping an eye on the Aya or Ayn Odin. There's an Aya and an Ayn making these. Android, but with enough juice to do Gamecube and maybe Maximo on PS2. Like the Steam Deck, it's not readily available.

It's vaguely post-Q3 2022. Likely 2023.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I like the clamshell style for the touchpad and keyboard, plus screen protection when closed.

Aya seems to be the new king of having a new device every other month, lol.  They have a new device coming out that is a bit smaller than the Switch Lite- and about as thin!
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever

yeah at this point there's no such thing as impulse buying a (non-scalped) steam deck  :doge

I wasn't sure I wanted one at the moment preorders went up but I figured eh, it's 5 bucks and no commitment, and it turned out I reserved at the perfect time
Uncle

Nintex

• The tide is turning
I'm very happy with my Steamdeck.
It just keeps getting better. They added variable refresh rates yesterday. You can lock both the game and screen at any framerate like 40 or 50fps without jank :rejoice
🤴

MMaRsu

Our savior Nintex has returneth  :rejoice

Nintex

• The tide is turning
Got the Megaman Zero collection. Works like a charm on my giant Gameboy.

Then tried Max Payne 3  :gun
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
Just got mail on a bit ago, I was kind of flip flopping but decided to pull trigger on.  :yeshrug

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/handheld-pc-power-bundle

I'm trying to work out what behind the scenes intrigues are occurring that Humble would release a "Specifically For Steamdeck" bundle, but then also decide to at no point whatsoever use the words "steam" or "Steamdeck" anywhere in the promotional material  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Just got the email and purchased the 512 GB Steam Deck!

:phil
ど助平

Nintex

• The tide is turning
🤴