Author Topic: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (yes OLED)  (Read 29565 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 05:48:05 PM by Joe Molotov »
🤴

Svejk

Shit looks dope.  Price looks about right too.
Should be only a matter of minutes before the girl in red, jealous girlfriend meme has this against Smitch-O-Led.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
That looks pretty dope, I do kinda wish you could use other shit like battle.net on it tho
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Oh shit nevermind

"Do I need a Steam account to use Steam Deck?
The default Steam Deck experience requires a Steam account (it's free!). Games are purchased and downloaded using the Steam Store. That said, Steam Deck is a PC so you can install third party software and operating systems."

Pretty much definitely getting one of these now
yar

Svejk

Just tell me this can run yuzu with no problem...

Bebpo

Hmmm, if this has better compatibility than using steam link on tablets I might get one. There's a lot on steam that translate well to portables like VNs and PnC adventure games, crpgs, etc... but a lot of those don't work that well on steam link to a tablet or phone. Resolution issues and control issues often.

SmokyDave

One for me, one for t’wife, no questions asked. I could weep at the analogue triggers alone.

Bebpo

So 64GB is an issue given that there are easily Steam games that are 100GB just to have one game installed.

Bebpo

Also does this thing have a TV dock? It looks like it doesn't and that seems like a missed opportunity. My brother won't fuck with PC gaming but this would probably get him into PC gaming if it had a dock and he could play on his tv and portable like Switch.

Bebpo

Oh shit, there is a dock. Nice.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Also does this thing have a TV dock? It looks like it doesn't and that seems like a missed opportunity. My brother won't fuck with PC gaming but this would probably get him into PC gaming if it had a dock and he could play on his tv and portable like Switch.
There's a dock and it works with any other USB-C dock as well.
You can also install Windows on it instead of using the Steam OS.

Nintendo should've fixed Gabe's Joy Con drift :trumps
🤴

Bebpo

I'm guessing there is a USB slot for external memory storage that you can run games off? Would be the only way to get around the 64GB limit for 100GB game installs.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
:gaben is one of the vilest looking humans walking the planet :trumps

i can smell him thru my screen :hhh
(ice)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
That joystick placement looks really awkward and uncomfortable...
^_^

Pissy F Benny

i hope tim sweeney drops something better and cheaper tbh :win

spoiler (click to show/hide)
give me a freebee brother and i will shill 4 u
[close]
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I'm guessing there is a USB slot for external memory storage that you can run games off? Would be the only way to get around the 64GB limit for 100GB game installs.

MicroSD slot confirmed
yar

thetylerrob

Yeah, those ergonomics look horrible, why is so much room on the pad taken up by touchpads?

Bebpo

Yeah, those ergonomics look horrible, why is so much room on the pad taken up by touchpads?

Need my them for my PnC adventure games.

Then again I don't know why you'd need two?

And yeah, d-pad placement looks awful. RIP 2d indie platformers.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Not sure how this will stack up against the current crop of high-end Chinese handheld PCs, but with my experience with the GPD Win series and as a current GPD Max and GPD Win 3 owner:

-64 GB of EMMC storage is lolol and 256 GB is barely enough.  There are PC games out there that are in the 70-100 GB range now.  Disappointed that 512 GB is the highest it will go.  That's OK, but I'm very happy with the 1TB SSD that's in the Win 3. 

-From my experience, micro SD cards and USB flash drives don't give the best performance and load times are longer.  Would be fine for emulators and small games though.  And of course you could always plug in a portable drive, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it being a handheld.

-If Valve makes it easy to open up the units and swap out the SSDs, however, this is going to be a total game-changer and the other handheld PCs are going to drop in popularity super-fast.  They don't make it easy to change out internals.  I hope this does.

-It looks HUGE and bulky.  Also unsure of those d-pad and button placements.

-I assume because of the hardware there's no way to use an external GPU with it?  (Isn't that an Intel-only thing?)

I'm still pretty interested though- will try to reserve one tomorrow.  Even $650 for the highest-tier model is still cheaper than what GPD and like cost. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 02:28:49 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

It's a PC- you can always use a wireless controller or plug one in.
ど助平

thetylerrob

Cool that they're thinking about this, would be great if FG tournaments could start running using these instead of bulky ass new consoles.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
(Image removed from quote.)
Cool that they're thinking about this, would be great if FG tournaments could start running using these instead of bulky ass new consoles.

The thing to think about is how these games run when connected to a monitor or TV- if you go past 720P, the performance might take a big hit and if you stick with 720P or lower and lower detail settings, the games won't look as good as they do on the smaller screen.
ど助平

Bebpo

Yeah but I'm talking about as a portable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Yeah but I'm talking about as a portable.

It's like that picture TheTyperRob just posted- you could have it standing up and use it like a Switch with the controllers detached.  If you want to limit it to being strictly handheld, yeah, it could be an issue.  But I'm sure they'll do a good job of making it comfortable.

If you want something that is comfortable to hold and use and is smaller, look into the GPD Win 3.  It's the size of a Switch Lite and the performance is amazing.  Costs more but does offer way more storage.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
It just hit me that this doesn't have a keyboard.  You're going to be forced to use an on-screen one? 
ど助平

thetylerrob

The handheld has Bluetooth and USB-C. The dock has 3 USB ports.

Pissy F Benny

(ice)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
can't wait to play da romz on it :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :gaben
©@©™

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
Nintendo are over.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
Playing steam sex games on my steam boy on the bus  :patel
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Svejk

Steamy UpperDecker

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

You gonna bring a mouse and kb with you on the go?
ど助平

thetylerrob

Nah, but I think you could if you're a bad enough gamer.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

You gonna bring a mouse and kb with you on the go?

©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Can it run BotW at 60fps through CEMU?  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Can it run BotW at 60fps through CEMU?  :doge

If the specs are close to the GPD Win 3...

ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
This seems like a very serious move by Valve. Not off the shelf parts but a custom APU, it must've been challenging and expensive to develop.
IGN also notes that unlike the Steam Controller and even though they had doubts about the button placements it is very comfortable to use.

The key here is performance, how much of a 'hit' will it take compared to optimized console games. At 800p they certainly have a lot of leeway but docked might not yield the same results.
I also wonder if they're going to do something about optimizing delivery like the Xbox systems do. After all at 800p you don't need 4k texture packs and that could save a ton of storage.

I know that early on in the Switch cycle quite some people who were PC-only bought it to play BOTW but also the games they would usually play on Steam portable like DOOM, Diablo III and indies.
It always surprises me how every PC gaming Switch owner I know has a vastly different library of mostly their favorite games but the ports have become less interesting as the Switch has aged.

Far less expensive than a gaming laptop, much easier to carry. If the battery power indeed holds up (2 - 8 hours is mentioned in the specs) this could finally be Valve's big break in the console hardware market.
Plus it runs Windows, so also GamePass, EGS and Xbox Cloud.

A Switch for adults  :teehee
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
this could finally be Valve's big break in the console hardware market.

Doubtful.  I can see it doing very well for them, but your average person is not going to know what a "Steam Deck" is.  Would be cool to see it pop up in stores, but am guessing it's going to be online-only.
ど助平

Coax

-I assume because of the hardware there's no way to use an external GPU with it?  (Isn't that an Intel-only thing?)

Apart from Thunderbolt eGPUs (what you're probably referring to) I've seen people slot in a regular GPU on AMD systems if there's a PCIe m.2 slot with the right keying (if one existed it'd be occupied the NVMe drive). It'd be limited to the bandwidth of the available PCIe lanes of the socket and require extra power though, apart from looking jank af :doge

Potato

• Senior's Member
Shit looks dope.  Price looks about right too.
Should be only a matter of minutes before the girl in red, jealous girlfriend meme has this against Smitch-O-Led.
Which price? I hope you're not talking about the 64GB option which is  :point
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Looks like the Steamdeck is going to have slightly better performance than the Aya Neo.  For the price, this is going to absolutely kill anything else like it. Valve definitely knocked it out of the park.  The battery is smaller than the Aya Neo and GPD Win, but it should be streamlined to give better performance and possibly the last as long or longer. However no idea how that might change if you were to install Windows on it.

ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
-From my experience, micro SD cards and USB flash drives don't give the best performance and load times are longer.  Would be fine for emulators and small games though.  And of course you could always plug in a portable drive, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it being a handheld.

Ding ding ding, this right here. MicroSD is slow as shit.

Bebpo

Bork, at the end of the day what should separate this from all the other similar devices is this being a native steam app and should have better steam integration.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
if i could buy in nz at $650usd snap buy
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
So 64GB is an issue given that there are easily Steam games that are 100GB just to have one game installed.

it's weird to even offer an option that low imo but it makes me wonder if it will be possible to switch the drive with your own nvme ssd. having a 2tb nvme drive in this bad boi :whew

obviously most people srs about this will choose the 512 option since the price is right
◕‿◕

BikeJesus

I'll be ordering the highest capacity model. Can't wait. I can stop lugging my laptop to work everyday.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Bork, at the end of the day what should separate this from all the other similar devices is this being a native steam app and should have better steam integration.

Yes, Steam OS- but the big deal is how games are supposed to be made to take advantage of it.  It's more 'plug and play' compared to the handheld PCs out now.  I don't know if I'd ditch my GPD Win 3, but if it ends up being that awesome, I just might.  But the Win 3's smaller form factor and keyboard, plus 1tb of storage, still makes it seem better to me. 
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Can't wait to load this up with ROMs I'll never actually play! :rejoice
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Price is funny, sticks are in a horrible position too

who would buy this thing

lmao
What

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Goddamn, this looks pretty nice.
I wonder if they'll have the manufacturing capacity to meet demand though...?

I assume those are intended to be the primary input mechanisms and work like the steam controller haptic pads did, so you can assign them to be whatever you want, and the other buttons / inputs are mostly there as training wheels until you get used to the steamcontroller style haptic pads

daemon

I have 845 csgo crates at 85 cents each waiting for this, possibly.

:-*

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Goddamn, this looks pretty nice.
I wonder if they'll have the manufacturing capacity to meet demand though...?

I assume those are intended to be the primary input mechanisms and work like the steam controller haptic pads did, so you can assign them to be whatever you want, and the other buttons / inputs are mostly there as training wheels until you get used to the steamcontroller style haptic pads
Valve have probably been manufacturing or stacking up parts for these for a while. The APU showed up in a number of different reports way back when people were keeping an eye on PS5/Xbox Series X APU manufacturing and yields.
I thought it was assumed this was a chip for another Xbox model first and then the Switch Pro but now we know better. (i.e. the rumor that Nintendo was switching to AMD for a new APU originated from these reports)
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Valve have probably been manufacturing or stacking up parts for these for a while. The APU showed up in a number of different reports way back when people were keeping an eye on PS5/Xbox Series X APU manufacturing and yields.
I thought it was assumed this was a chip for another Xbox model first and then the Switch Pro but now we know better. (i.e. the rumor that Nintendo was switching to AMD for a new APU originated from these reports)

I have no doubt, like I presume the 'insider' info about a "Switch Pro" was probably a Telephone game about upcoming PS4/X1 level handheld not by Sony/Ms and some jumping to conclusions.
But this thing is punching above its weight on price / performance even just as an SFF PC, and being able to dock directly into a monitor / KBM and bulk storage means its going to be highly competitive with shit like the mac mini for non-gaming purposes (because stuff like video editing, 3D modelling / animating and rendering etc all benefit hugely from a decent GPU).

I think this is going to be a very hot item, and I don't know who (if anyone) Valve are partnering with on the manufacturing side of things, but I think people will be surprised at its uptake.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I think it'll be a huge hit also, considering there's not a lot of competition this holiday season.
The Switch is a known quantity, the OLED model isn't much of an upgrade if you already own a Switch.

PC GPU's are still supply constrained and PS5/Xbox Series X gamers looking for a portable next to their console will likely skip the Switch if this exists.
If you're in the market for a gaming laptop this is nearly twice as cheap and even more portable.
🤴

Svejk

Price is funny, sticks are in a horrible position too

who would buy this thing

lmao
But wait!  You can use your games from EGS too!!!

;)
Looks like the Steamdeck is going to have slightly better performance than the Aya Neo.  For the price, this is going to absolutely kill anything else like it. Valve definitely knocked it out of the park.  The battery is smaller than the Aya Neo and GPD Win, but it should be streamlined to give better performance and possibly the last as long or longer. However no idea how that might change if you were to install Windows on it.
Like Sony attempted with PSVR, it seems like they're aiming for a sweet spot between quality and affordability.  This is looking like they about nailed it.  But I already would prefer a Steam Deck Go or Clam version.  :P But damn... my biggest gripe of my PC gaming is playing my PC at my desk... this would stream line that with ease along with upgrading from my PC config. 
And this could be the ultimate GamePass machine.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
I really don't get the complaint about buttons/stick placement.

Try to hold a goddamn rectangle with your hands, with your index fingers positioned where the triggers/bumbers are (at the top).
where do the thumbs naturally rest? Yeah, at the very top of the rectangle, where they placed the buttons.

The Switch has them in the middle because they need to do that dumb thing where you use them sideways once you detach them.

Look at any normal controller (DS4, Xbox etc) and look how close face buttons and triggers are.

There were people arguing that the buttons/sticks should've been where the touchpads are, and i have to wonder what kind of fucked up hands they got.

BikeJesus

I love the Steam Controller so I'm not worried at all. I just hope they learned from that experience and that the buttons are more durable.

Akala

• Easy Victor
this looks awesome, I am in for 256 I think.

I also wonder if they're going to do something about optimizing delivery like the Xbox systems do. After all at 800p you don't need 4k texture packs and that could save a ton of storage.

I am thinking this is likely as well (obv not for everything).

Coax

I am thinking this is likely as well (obv not for everything).

Would be cool, although then you look at their official site and it's showing Doom Eternal being downloaded at 80GB :P