Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1827658 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Forum 4 Sale for $4.5 Million OBO
« Reply #4380 on: October 16, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »
I made this thread in EtcetEra.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-believe-there-is-a-conversation-to-be-had-about-era-new-owners-and-affiliations-details.501402/

It got locked after 18 posts and I got my thread making priviledges removed, no warning.

I was here since GAF/founding of ERA. I deleted all my retro gaming threads on GAF to have them here. And the moment I do something to inform the community about what's going on, which seems to goe against the will of the staff, I get juniored?

Good fucking luck holding this fort, guys, real good classy look right there, Jesus Christ.

I was NOT going to make a second thread, you guys are good enough putting that clown make-up all by yourselves real good.
watch them ignore this to continue cracking about cracker for another page or two

benjipwns

« Reply #4381 on: October 16, 2021, 08:07:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I actually don't care for this Seik dude at all, he's one of the forum's problem children, but we go to war with the army we have.

:salute

samir

« Reply #4382 on: October 16, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »
Cerium's a fucking genius. Imagine making $500k in yearly profits, and all you have to do is send a couple of DMs per week to your slave labor moderators.

« Reply #4383 on: October 16, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »
Quote from: Seik
It written on the bottom of the EtCetEra section. I wasn't doing anything but browsing.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh...I got the warning NOW. :lol

Nepenthe will surely apologize for misjudging and publicly decreeing that he'd tried to make the thread again now, right?

I don't know the guy well enough to know if he'd have remade the thread, but this whole thing seems like a perfect example of why their proactive moderation and doubling-down is shit. This means nothing will be learned and in official ERA history it will be the correct and rightful decision, but Jesus Christ they make so many unforced errors.

benjipwns

« Reply #4384 on: October 16, 2021, 08:11:12 PM »
Since there's no way they let this stay up:

Yulwei

« Reply #4385 on: October 16, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
Want to know how I know for a fact the "minority communities" didn't request a more draconian and Kafkaesque moderation implementation?

Because the ResetERA.com staff never publicly asked the "minority communities" anything. Instead they invited selected members to private summits. Summits that worked so well that "AsianEra" mostly skipped theirs (and it never got a public write-up like TransEra's multiple summits) and "HispanicEra" flat out rejected the idea.

and anyway if you disagree with the consensus they'll just accuse you of not actually being x minority.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4386 on: October 16, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »

:hhh that‘s trying way too hard and isn’t particularly funny :hhh

benjipwns

« Reply #4387 on: October 16, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »
Another guy who's regularly one of the forum's problem children, yet even he's not dumb enough for this:
Is this the new spin that has to be endlessly debunked with hundreds of pieces of obvious evidence? "Mods are hiding the truth from you" "Well, here's all the ways you can find out about everything we've been talking about regarding the sale" "....fuck. Okay, well, then, you're actually still awful because...(insert next narrative)"

Yes, yes, this 97 page clusterfuck where people are jokingly discussing the merits of "Cracker" is definitely a great way for users to get informed on current events versus a very concise and detailed OP outlining basically everything that's happened.

blaze

« Reply #4388 on: October 16, 2021, 08:14:06 PM »
Selk is leaving! lol

benjipwns

« Reply #4389 on: October 16, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »
:hhh that‘s trying way too hard and isn’t particularly funny :hhh
Still worked:
Quote from: PlanetSmasher
ok what the actual fuck

lmao and they deleted it and banned the guy

edit: lmao and they banned a dude who quoted it to say "lol" and deleted that

Yulwei

« Reply #4390 on: October 16, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »
The mod's butt sniffers are literally spamming the thread with garbage now. Very organic and coincidental. :neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #4391 on: October 16, 2021, 08:15:30 PM »
Quote from: Hecht
This thread is weird.
Idk, if you asked a random person what they thought of an old style internet forum being purchased for $4.5 million by a sketchy company that owns many dead gaming forums in 2021, they'd probably think it was weird, so the responses going on right now fit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4392 on: October 16, 2021, 08:15:59 PM »
I like how the mods don't know what the fuck to do now.

They can't take the abuse because it destroys their reputation as Gulag commanders but they also can't let the banter go unpunished.
At the same time I'm sure most of them don't really like what Nep Nep is doing but can't say it to their face.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #4393 on: October 16, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »
The mod's butt sniffers are literally spamming the thread with garbage now. Very organic and coincidental. :neogaf
Someone should leak some Discord screenshots of their totally not mad fun having times in those.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4394 on: October 16, 2021, 08:19:18 PM »
weekend era lol

see? we have fun here!

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4395 on: October 16, 2021, 08:20:55 PM »
mods and protected users are trying to foster a jokey vibe in the thread so they can say "alright, this has devolved into outright jokes and goofiness haha, I guess there must not be much else to talk about so we're closing this at a nice round 100 pages. stay safe era!"
Uncle

BisMarckie

« Reply #4396 on: October 16, 2021, 08:20:55 PM »
now that weekend era is here, i think this thread has run its course.

we have fun here!

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4397 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »
posted the same thing at the exact same time!

:respect
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4398 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
Quote from: Veelk
Because as far as I can tell, other than sarcastically remarking how stupid it is, it's not the mods driving the crackery discussion.

And, as you note, this is 97 pages of what is effectively 1 bit of information. Topic drift is natural in any long running thread like this deprived of new information.
Sounds like the mods are driving a "thread derail" something that usually at least gets a warning if not a ban.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4399 on: October 16, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
posted the same thing at the exact same time!

:respect

fuck off

samir

« Reply #4400 on: October 16, 2021, 08:22:38 PM »
Can we convert that to # of Italian dinners?

Four years later and they're still clinging on to old NeoGAF jokes. What a fun place!

blaze

« Reply #4401 on: October 16, 2021, 08:23:28 PM »
Thread derailing is a bannable offence don’t ya know

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #4402 on: October 16, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »
mods and protected users are trying to foster a jokey vibe in the thread so they can say "alright, this has devolved into outright jokes and goofiness haha, I guess there must not be much else to talk about so we're closing this at a nice round 100 pages. stay safe era!"

I agree, y'all.
sigh

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4403 on: October 16, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »

she's so mad  :lol
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4404 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:01 PM »
I'm actually shocked with how much spinning they were doing early in the thread about how NOTHING WILL CHANGE that they were so desperate to shut up Seik getting any deets about the new owners out there.

And since I'm sure it got missed in the 97 pages, Poodlestrike stated today that no, the new owners have not been in contact with the staff. Not even to say hello.

ShutUp

« Reply #4405 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:10 PM »
It’s natural to start making cracker jokes in a long running thread that had nothing to do with the word cracker at any point before this.

ShutUp

« Reply #4406 on: October 16, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »
“Neener-neener”

Very mad indeed  :rofl

benjipwns

« Reply #4407 on: October 16, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
Was he he only person willing to put money on the foundation and pick up every monthly expense? Was it chance? What was it?
People keep saying this about Cerium, but it's blatantly not true.

That one thread I love alone shows that many people were willing to contribute funds, at least one person was willing to fund the entire thing. We know from elsewhere that people were willing to contribute. We know from the fact that people purchased the acne medicine that this was not true. (Also, the early costs were not that much, the community could have easily floated the thing along.)

We now know that Cerium formed the LLC to lock out anyone else for when he would sell. This is indisputable.

Do not let people gaslight you!

blaze

« Reply #4408 on: October 16, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »
Cerium’s a smart guy, must be said. Should go scorched earth and remove all the mods in December. For the chaos.

Propagandhim

« Reply #4409 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
Was he he only person willing to put money on the foundation and pick up every monthly expense? Was it chance? What was it?

That one thread I love alone shows that many people were willing to contribute funds, at least one person was willing to fund the entire thing. We know from elsewhere that people were willing to contribute. We know from the fact that people purchased the acne medicine that this was not true. (Also, the early costs were not that much, the community could have easily floated the thing along.)

We now know that Cerium formed the LLC to lock out anyone else for when he would sell. This is indisputable.

All of this is irrelevant.  He made Royalan feel nice.  This is a good man, we're talking about here.  And he'll be back any second now.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4410 on: October 16, 2021, 08:38:23 PM »
Say what you want about james, but at least he gave everyone the opportunity to invest in a terrible investment opportunity that miraculously worked

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4411 on: October 16, 2021, 08:40:05 PM »
I don't post much(I'm like a super lurker) but I have to say, these last few pages have had me in stitches. It's something I really needed right now a rare smile on my face, so thanks everyone.

I might post something on topic tomorrow(well, later today)

User banned: (permanent) troll account, inappropriate drive by posting in a sensitive thread
🤴

Yulwei

« Reply #4412 on: October 16, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »

Cerium's such a nice guy that he went ahead and bought out of all of the people who had a stake in the website. He took that stress off their shoulders  :whew :uguu

Propagandhim

« Reply #4413 on: October 16, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »
Nepenthe fuming rn

benjipwns

« Reply #4414 on: October 16, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
All of this is irrelevant.  He made Royalan feel nice.  This is a good man, we're talking about here.  And he'll be back any second now.
My favorite part of that post is that he knew Isamu Fukui's name.

So did everyone else.

Kiwi Farms, that white supremacist reddit spin-off that died and even NeoGAF.com made memes about the guy for years.

These people willingly live in a suffocating bubble.

benjipwns

« Reply #4415 on: October 16, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »
I removed all my retro gaming OTs from ERA's launch.

Fucking shame it came to this, I never expected this place to reach the shitter like that.

Have fun.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4416 on: October 16, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »

he told me he was going out for cigarettes, he just got lost on his way back   :uguu
Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #4417 on: October 16, 2021, 08:44:22 PM »

So did everyone else.

Kiwi Farms, that white supremacist reddit spin-off that died and even NeoGAF.com made memes about the guy for years.

All of them seem to be suspiciously lenient for people that interpret the rationale of every outsider's behavior in the most uncharitable way.  Weird fucking people.

ShutUp

« Reply #4418 on: October 16, 2021, 08:46:10 PM »
When the thread already shows up as a banner, and is staying at the top of trending threads, and the mods already threadmarked pertinent info, and you're still complaining that mods don't want people to know or whatever, or that you're being silenced while still posting somehow, odds are you just can't handle not getting what you want idk man

The banner just takes you to the now nearly 100 page thread. Again, not a soul alive is going to read all that shit post by post. Also, he lost thread making privileges because of it. How is that not “being silenced” exactly? It’s the definition of it.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4419 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:24 PM »
Again, not a soul alive is going to read all that shit post by post.

wow, benjipwns erasure :wag

benjipwns

« Reply #4420 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
I hope Royalan can someday know the face of the man who did so much for him:

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #4421 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »

Fucking shame it came to this, I never expected this place to reach the shitter like that.

Have fun.

They restored the first post of the F1 thread after the op deleted it when he asked for account deletion.
OBE

Yulwei

« Reply #4422 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-99#post-75363705

you gotta respect how hard she's trying to drown them out  :leon

benjipwns

« Reply #4423 on: October 16, 2021, 08:49:04 PM »
Again, not a soul alive is going to read all that shit post by post.

wow, benjipwns erasure :wag
even I haven't bothered to read the entire thread, I scroll the instant I realize it's a "WeekendEra" shitpost to cover up for the forum cops

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #4424 on: October 16, 2021, 08:49:38 PM »
man, seeing those wet blankets try to be funny and have, "fun," is nauseating.
sigh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4425 on: October 16, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »

Have fun.
:ego
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #4426 on: October 16, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »

why is cerium wearing something with the logo of the Dutch football federation?

It is true the Dutch ruin every forum

Propagandhim

« Reply #4427 on: October 16, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »

Oh shit, the new Lil Grifta album dropped?

benjipwns

« Reply #4428 on: October 16, 2021, 08:52:14 PM »
Quote from: Sirpopopop
Cerium did not know ratrosaw and deltaplus before Era was founded. I don't think he knew Ferny before the site was founded either, but I could be wrong on that one. The people he knew before Era was founded was Zhuge, Nibel, shinobi and Emily.

If you are referring to AJx as a fiscal partner, well then... that was never going to work. He was hostile to the staff, and no one wanted him on the team.

No one on the team at the time viewed it as an issue that Cerium was paying for shit. When we made a decision to go with Xenforo, he paid for it. Whenever we needed a skin to rework, I'd just send him a message, and he would pay for it.
Again, he paid like $150 for XF.

And...they paid for forum "skins"?

Anyway, you don't need AJx, you let the community fund, and AJx will be part of that.

Why do these people defend Cerium?

Boredfrom

« Reply #4429 on: October 16, 2021, 08:52:25 PM »

So did everyone else.

All of them seem to be suspiciously lenient for people that interpret the rationale of every outsider's behavior in the most uncharitable way.  Weird fucking people.

I really wonder how those initial discussions went when the forum still had more remnants of the old NeoGaf staff. They seem so out of the touch that I can’t imagine how they will react of some stuff that is now commun knowledge outside the bubble.

Then again, they still think BCT and TransRE are worth of protection even when they treat them as trash.

« Reply #4430 on: October 16, 2021, 08:52:39 PM »
That thread is extremely weird.  A bulk of the later pages are current and former staff taking valid concerns and exaggerating them so they can't be taken seriously, or zeroing in on some absurd concerns and framing them as the norm.

What the staff isn't or barely acknowledging is the concerns about the new owner such as their history with shady casino sites and conservative-leaning forums, the fact the new owner's mission statement regarding growth directly contradicts the staff's assurance that "nothing will change", the motivations behind the sale including the M&A's bankers suspicions about the low price, the words of some involved with the site not being the most positive (logo designer, Mod Pau stepping down precisely because of the deal, the original admins as relayed through Emily Rogers on a separate site). 

Forget about the staff not getting paid, there are bigger issues at here that the staff seem to be distracting from at any opportunity they can get by being big old goofballs and pretending they have a personality.  It's like there's a concerted effort to make sure as little of that appears on the most recent page as possible.  Funnily enough, a good chunk of that was in the thread Seik made, which is now locked and off the 1st page.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4431 on: October 16, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
No one on the team at the time viewed it as an issue that Cerium was paying for shit. When we made a decision to go with Xenforo, he paid for it. Whenever we needed a skin to rework, I'd just send him a message, and he would pay for it.
Xenforo costs $695 and $95 for a yearly extension.

Cerium walked out with $4.5 million :trumps
🤴

samir

« Reply #4432 on: October 16, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »

Huge, absolutely massive, investments. I'm sure he was laughing behind your backs.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4433 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:11 PM »

Huge, absolutely massive, investments. I'm sure he was laughing behind your backs.
If your only source of income is disability checks or an allowance from your parents that is a big sum of money.

If you invest in an internet business with multiple people that's peanuts.
🤴

Propagandhim

« Reply #4434 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »

Thank god for Era Clear, so he could get out of the Xenforo debt hole.

benjipwns

« Reply #4435 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:37 PM »
Xenforo costs $695 and $95 for a yearly extension.
No, that's the full package with full-time support and shit. A XF license is just $160 (now, I just checked) if you manage it yourself. (And ResetERA.com does.)

Yulwei

« Reply #4436 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:44 PM »
Acting like Era members wouldn't have immediately jumped on the chance to self fund their own new progressive community after breaking away from Gaf and the shower goblin  :lol

Who the hell are you trying to fool

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #4437 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-95#post-75360252

Quote from: Morrigan
Quote from: breakfuss
And speaking of which, when did we start conflating whiteness with "white people"? Why are such nasty (and frankly, racist) things allowed to be slung at anyone here? "Crackery"? Really? LOL.
Shut up cracker

- Signed, a white person

For real, stop with the white fragility people, jfc. White people are gonna be okay even if Nepenthe posts some sass. Really. I promise you!

How does she know he is white?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-99#post-75364056
Quote from: breakfuss
How the hell is this allowed? But if I clap back at her ass I'll be the one who gets banned. And wasn't this person just a moderator?

And for the record I'm black so you look doubly ignorant. Believe it or not we don't all going around saying corny shit like 'cracker' (the proper spelling would be 'cracka' btw, since you so badly want to be "down" with us). Instead of hopping elsewhere and dumping on this place, I was here trying to hold a reasoned conversation about my concerns. I actually really do care. And this is the response I get. From a former mod no less. Damn.
:duh
OBE

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #4438 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:27 PM »
man, seeing those wet blankets try to be funny and have, "fun," is nauseating.

It's a pretty transparent attempt to drown the concerns by shit posting. Even the mods join the jolly fun

benjipwns

« Reply #4439 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:45 PM »
Forget about the staff not getting paid, there are bigger issues at here that the staff seem to be distracting from at any opportunity they can get by being big old goofballs and pretending they have a personality.
They don't have any answers and the more they think about it the more they'll have second thoughts. Best to just force the conversation away.