Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1827651 times)

Propagandhim

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Forum 4 Sale for $4.5 Million OBO
« Reply #4320 on: October 16, 2021, 06:29:12 PM »
Nepenthe probably feels like she's at the helm of some multi-million dollar corp now.  These past few days have probably been the greatest moments of her life since the manager at Rite-Aid gave her employee of the month.    She thinks she's a "top level" exec in an acquisition. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4321 on: October 16, 2021, 06:30:03 PM »
I like how they think it's "racism" and that the broad diverse people of the Middle East (and only them, not the other regions mentioned by Ryan) need "sensitive topic" protection from a video game company CEO exaggerating his companies role in spreading legitimate gaming to a region.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4322 on: October 16, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
Quote from: Nepenthe
As someone who has been permabanned from the ActiBlizz forums with nary a regret for a single anti-bigot thing I posted there (especially since their company is on fire right now hahahahahaha I win you stupid fucks)
Which Overwatch 2 edition are you going to preorder?

:crowdlaff
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4323 on: October 16, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »
Nepenthe probably feels like she's at the helm of some multi-million dollar corp now.  These past few days have probably been the greatest moments of her life since the manager at Rite-Aid gave her employee of the month.    She thinks she's a "top level" exec in an acquisition.

The meltdowns that will come with any changes that happen once the forum is finally sold are going to be epic.  Just wait for some, if not all of the moderation stuff to get booted.   Some of them are probably not going to take it very well and that's putting it lightly.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4324 on: October 16, 2021, 06:34:45 PM »

The meltdowns that will come with any changes that happen once the forum is finally sold are going to be epic.  Just wait for some, if not all of the moderation stuff to get booted.   Some of them are probably not going to take it very well and that's putting it lightly.
You seriously think MOBA Network AB is going to risk PlanetSmasher getting loud?

Propagandhim

« Reply #4325 on: October 16, 2021, 06:37:40 PM »

You seriously think MOBA Network AB is going to risk PlanetSmasher getting loud?

Yulwei

« Reply #4326 on: October 16, 2021, 06:39:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-93#post-75356445

Nepenthe is basically the Alex Jones of resetera

It's amazing how yelling at people just did not make the forum "more progressive" and only made the screechers more unhinged over the years. Really makes you think  :doge

Wonder if they're ever going to stop and think about how their progressive and inclusive community has only resulted in a bunch of subcommunity fallouts and splinter forums. Then again, it wouldn't be a leftist space if they didn't all splinter into tinier and tinier groups of marginalized folx. So in that sense I guess they are true to their ideals  :lol

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #4327 on: October 16, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »

Planetsmasher is already gone(?) there's just the very similarly vapid transistor and poodlestrike on the team now

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #4328 on: October 16, 2021, 06:42:43 PM »
And K.Jack knows this poster isn't a member of that "minority" how?
lol I was wondering the same thing.

I guess the assumption is all posters are white unless they specify their race or region of the world?

User: Banned (permanent)- White person expressing opinion concerning Playstation executive. Troll Account. Multiple infractions. Hostility. Enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077. 

benjipwns

« Reply #4329 on: October 16, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
Planetsmasher is already gone(?) there's just the very similarly vapid transistor and poodlestrike on the team now
If MOBAnet actively fucks around with the site, I will complain, and loudly. Everyone on Era knows how loud I am when I want to be.

ShutUp

« Reply #4330 on: October 16, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
And not a single fuck will be given from MOBA  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #4331 on: October 16, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »
The Bire member blame space leading the charge to call attention to the silencing of Seik for daring to question the new MOBA Network AB overlords

:salute

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #4332 on: October 16, 2021, 07:05:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-93#post-75358179

Quote from:  Judge
Some people really go through life with the most negative, condescending, drama seeking attitudes
:spiders
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:10:41 PM by Hap Shaughnessy »
OBE

« Reply #4333 on: October 16, 2021, 07:07:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-93#post-75358179

Quote from:  Judge   moderator
Some people really go through life with the most negative, condescending, drama seeking attitudes
:spiders

I completely seriously initially read that post in the thread, winced for the guy's impending ban, then looked at the poster only to realize it wasn't a user complaining about the mods

benjipwns

« Reply #4334 on: October 16, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
Quote from: Hecht
Yeah, it's all very suspect. The reason given for the thread lock was "this conversation belongs elsewhere" (which it really doesn't), so I'm not sure how exactly that translates into someone's thread-making privileges being instantly revoked.
It belongs here but then gets completely ignored once here.
This is post #4,640.
So, not going to address silencing a poster for daring to question your corporate masters I see.

benjipwns

« Reply #4335 on: October 16, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
Quote from: Poodlestrike
The junioring was because we were concerned he would repeat post the thread, which happens sometimes when tensions get high and people are upset their threads get locked. Seik is welcome to file an appeal at a later date.
:dead

« Reply #4336 on: October 16, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »
The junioring was because we were concerned he would repeat post the thread, which happens sometimes when tensions get high and people are upset their threads get locked. Seik is welcome to file an appeal at a later date.
:dead

They juniored the guy for precrime/violating quarantine and he can appeal 'at a later date'?

Gosh I wonder why the mods constantly get accused of power tripping.

benjipwns

« Reply #4337 on: October 16, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »
So you punished him...for something you thought he might do? lol
Precrime unit.
It's not a great look to try and keep somebody from making a heated decision by making a heated decision that is going to lead to people making heated decisions.
I was writing a longer thing, but never mind.

We've gotten to the "pre-crimes" stage of the process, so fuck it.
It's more reasonable and restrained than permanently banning people for doing that, as has been done in the past.
:awesome

blaze

« Reply #4338 on: October 16, 2021, 07:19:20 PM »
What is their obsession with the word “corporation”? I swear half of them are LARPing as cyberpunk characters.

benjipwns

« Reply #4339 on: October 16, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
Quote from: Kyuuji
Presumably to avoid them posting another thread a moment later as the intent is to keep the discussion to a single thread, which I imagine is so that it's easier for moderators to manage and respond to than trying to jump between two threads and answer the same questions in each. Like does it notify you via a notification or did they find out because they tried to make another thread? I've not had it revoked before so I don't know.
Quote from: Kyuuji
People acting like the removal of the ability to make a thread as an act of caution is some great leap of logic. It's like the most mundane restriction there is in response to trying to expand this thread out to other threads. I'm pretty sure the only reason they realised it had happened was because they went to make a new thread.
:popular

fuck off

Kurt Russell

« Reply #4340 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:27 PM »
What is their obsession with the word “corporation”? I swear half of them are LARPing as cyberpunk characters.

woke

benjipwns

« Reply #4341 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
Like I said, it's been a thing before. We wanted to get out in front of it before it escalated to behavior that called for an actual ban.

so we took away his ability to make any threads at all!

and told him to wait a while before appealing his sentence, a thing we've been touting all thread long!

benjipwns

« Reply #4342 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »
And now we're back to the staff and sycophants all ignoring everything while making "jokes" with each other to show how not mad they are about being questioned

BisMarckie

« Reply #4343 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:44 PM »
It’s astonishing how bad these people are at their jobs, they deserve a pay cut.

Yulwei

« Reply #4344 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-94#post-75358911

Zips brought the receipts  :gladbron

bet those slimy fucks are now typing on the discord about the best way to go about banning him

benjipwns

« Reply #4345 on: October 16, 2021, 07:26:34 PM »
And K.Jack knows this poster isn't a member of that "minority" how?
lol I was wondering the same thing.
Yeah, these are totally legit bans in that thread. Let's take a look at some of them that you claim are from white people (weird thing to assume) are doing any of the things you claim.
:phil

ShutUp

« Reply #4346 on: October 16, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »
If you're a dumb cracker saying dumb cracker things, then you are engaging in crackery.

It's not rocket science.

This stuff is allowed on the site. Absolutely incredible. Replace cracker with the n word and the ban hammer rightfully comes down like a minute after you post it. I’m sure the new Swedish owners will love comments like this.

benjipwns

« Reply #4347 on: October 16, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »
White people nonsense. Stuff like asking us why we went hard on people defending a guy who shit on the Middle East.
I think she actually legitimately believes this happened.

Jim Ryan's comments were stupid for being ahistorical but they were not in any form "shit[ting]" on the Middle East, racism, bigotry, etc.

ShutUp

« Reply #4348 on: October 16, 2021, 07:32:53 PM »
Guy who has been shit-stirring in this thread for days now (including claiming that Evilore has more integrity than Cerium), makes an unnecessary separate thread that is redundant with this one that was clearly designed to stoke more drama.... gets juniored?

You mean, like when multiple threads were created over stuff like the Cyberpunk manufactured drama instead of just keeping it to one thread? Incelchief literally starts threads by posting a fucking tweet or story from some site, without any additional comments on it, hoping to stoke drama.

benjipwns

« Reply #4349 on: October 16, 2021, 07:35:11 PM »
Quote from: Professor Beef, former staff member of Etika fame
Why a restriction at all? How about "please don't post another thread about this for X reason"?
you'd be shocked at how many people don't actually listen to those polite requests
Oh, god, could you imagine, if he had gone and... started another thread.

benjipwns

« Reply #4350 on: October 16, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »
Can the new ownership let us normie members have custom titles instead of just letting random users have them for no apparent reason.
Do something awesome and you'll get one
Can the new ownership let us normie members have custom titles instead of just letting random users have them for no apparent reason.
Say or do something cool, a mod will offer you a tag at some point ;)
Or just be in the clique and they let you change it any time you want.

benjipwns

« Reply #4351 on: October 16, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »
Users: "Why do mods always resort to bans instead of giving people warnings or lesser actions so that they can learn?"

Mods: -Proceed to use a tool other than a ban meant exactly for the purpose of cooling someone off-

Users: "Power hungry mods! I knew they couldn't be trusted!"
No, you already used another tool. You locked the thread and explained why it wasn't allowed.

Then you went and secretly without public announcement removed his ability to make any threads.

That you don't get this is unsurprising.

benjipwns

« Reply #4352 on: October 16, 2021, 07:41:35 PM »
And we're back to the staff and "community" with their "jokes" while blame space, of all people, is the only one to continue to hold feet to the fire

Despite what Nepenthe and the rest claim, they really would have loved if nobody had even noticed this thread and Cerium had been able to sell and abscond with no one being the wiser

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4353 on: October 16, 2021, 07:41:42 PM »
look I know forums have megathreads so you don't have 500 tiny threads for no reason

someone makes a "sora is in smash" thread and you tell them "this belongs in the smash thread"

or someone makes a smash thread and you tell them "this belongs in the general nintendo thread"

but era has shown willingness to examine hot topics from other angles for years

"dave chapelle releases The Closer on Netflix" + "dave chapelle says he is a terf" + "let's talk about rich comedians punching down"

"sora is in smash" + "the endemic anti-blackness of smash brothers"

so you'll forgive me if I think the forum is able to handle "resetera ownership update" + "we need to talk about MOBA Network and its problematic history"  :doge
Uncle

ShutUp

« Reply #4354 on: October 16, 2021, 07:43:03 PM »
Because it's more efficient to restrict someone from making a thread temporarily then engage in an inevitable separate back-and-forth, when there's already multiple going on in the main discussion thread. I'm only guessing based on what seems logical mind, but it's the most trivial thing to have set on your account that only affects you if your intent was to push back against moderator action in that instance anyway.

Having to send a DM to ask them not to make a separate thread and just keep it in one thread please. Goddamn the absolute horror. Also, the main thread is 95 fucking pages. No one is going to read through all of them, post by post, to keep up with the news.

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #4355 on: October 16, 2021, 07:44:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-95#post-75360132

Quote from: ExcitableBoy
White people nonsense. Stuff like asking us why we went hard on people defending a guy who shit on the Middle East. If nothing else, staff have been consistent in how hard we come down on stuff like that.
Racism against white people is ok though right? I mean just going by your posting history.

OBE

ShutUp

« Reply #4356 on: October 16, 2021, 07:45:14 PM »

Godspeed, ExcitableBoy

Propagandhim

« Reply #4357 on: October 16, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
:salute  crackercide

benjipwns

« Reply #4358 on: October 16, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »
Not to pick on Royalan, since literally every staff member and their bootlickers has tired to push this argument already:
Quote from: Royalan
...am I the only person who gets banner notices at the top of every forum page?
You people have so abused the banner with useless information from voting for every stupid little game ranking thing to an actual banner to inform people there was an Israel/Palestine conflict that I guarantee you that everyone just closes them or ignores them.

Let people open a thread about MOBA Network so they can find out about their new owners. This isn't hard.

benjipwns

« Reply #4359 on: October 16, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
You people
What kind of crackery is this?

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #4360 on: October 16, 2021, 07:49:42 PM »
Now is the time to lock the sale thread to "deal with a high quantity of reports" and then.... just never open it again. The end.  :lol
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #4361 on: October 16, 2021, 07:50:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-95#post-75360252

Quote from: Morrigan
Quote from: breakfuss
And speaking of which, when did we start conflating whiteness with "white people"? Why are such nasty (and frankly, racist) things allowed to be slung at anyone here? "Crackery"? Really? LOL.
Shut up cracker

- Signed, a white person

For real, stop with the white fragility people, jfc. White people are gonna be okay even if Nepenthe posts some sass. Really. I promise you!

How does she know he is white?
OBE

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4362 on: October 16, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
It's weird, nepnep and others seem to care a whole lot less all of a sudden.
🤴

ShutUp

« Reply #4363 on: October 16, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »
The day new ownership cleans house and puts in their own mods will be fantastic. Gone are the protections the clique on that site has, oh you have concerns and you wont be quiet about it? Cool. Banned.

Meltdowns galore

BisMarckie

« Reply #4364 on: October 16, 2021, 07:52:48 PM »
Cracker is just a term we use to self-police our community

benjipwns

« Reply #4365 on: October 16, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »
Or just be in the clique and they let you change it any time you want.
See:
I miss my custom title. It disappeared after I requested a temp ban for a few months when my mental health slammed through the floor and I completely forgot to ask for it back, lol.
(Image removed from quote.)
And his tag's back.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:57:19 PM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #4366 on: October 16, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-95#post-75360252

Quote from: Morrigan
Quote from: breakfuss
And speaking of which, when did we start conflating whiteness with "white people"? Why are such nasty (and frankly, racist) things allowed to be slung at anyone here? "Crackery"? Really? LOL.
Shut up cracker

- Signed, a white person

For real, stop with the white fragility people, jfc. White people are gonna be okay even if Nepenthe posts some sass. Really. I promise you!
How does she know he is white?

Morrigan is going to pretend, by RE standards, that she doesnt have a problematic history with Muslims?

ShutUp

« Reply #4367 on: October 16, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
Oh no. You found my public post history. Ya got me.

Damn, guess they can’t ban anyone for previously made comments now.

benjipwns

« Reply #4368 on: October 16, 2021, 07:54:42 PM »
Quote from: Veelk
I know this seems like a really good gotcha, but the total lack of transparency on the decision making is exactly why so many posters have a simmering resentment towards the staff. It takes ten seconds to explain this stuff to users, but instead it caused hours of drama.
Sincere question: Has there ever....like, fucking ever....been a controversy where the mods were not at the fault and it was the community being irrationally angry at them and then used that anger to justify hostility wrongly?
Yeah, totally weird that the people in absolute power who are supposed to be accountable are the ones being held accountable by the people who literally have no say.

ShutUp

« Reply #4369 on: October 16, 2021, 07:55:21 PM »
How the hell is anything Nepthethe said "racism" against white people.

Seriously folks...

Good God  :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4370 on: October 16, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »
Now is the time to lock the sale thread to "deal with a high quantity of reports" and then.... just never open it again. The end.  :lol

era keeps having all these problems with sales threads  :doggy
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #4371 on: October 16, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »
Quote from: Veelk
I know this seems like a really good gotcha, but the total lack of transparency on the decision making is exactly why so many posters have a simmering resentment towards the staff. It takes ten seconds to explain this stuff to users, but instead it caused hours of drama.
Sincere question: Has there ever....like, fucking ever....been a controversy where the mods were not at the fault and it was the community being irrationally angry at them and then used that anger to justify hostility wrongly?

I will say: KetKat spying their discord and bitching about Acephobics. And the mods fucked up.

Propagandhim

« Reply #4372 on: October 16, 2021, 07:57:35 PM »
Don't worry, Best Friend Nicest Guy Ever Cerium should be back any second to answer those questions.  The community comes first.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4373 on: October 16, 2021, 07:58:52 PM »
Don't worry, Best Friend Nicest Guy Ever Cerium should be back any second to answer those questions.  The community comes first.

::)

the man is entitled to his sleep. who hasn’t taken a 72 hour nap?

benjipwns

« Reply #4374 on: October 16, 2021, 07:59:18 PM »
Again, our current style is the result of direct feedback and precedent. We're not acting by the seat of our pants here. If I could trust that I could ask people, in an environment that is as hostile to staff as Era, is to stop being shitty, and it won't backfire in my face, potentially into another fucking exodus, then I would.

I agree that we can definitely use more ways to reward positive contributors beyond tags, but ultimately the fact is we tried being nice. Our minority communities said that wasn't good enough.
Lying again.

Their current style is the result of the staff being let's say... sensitive... about themselves.

For evidence, see Nepenthe's third sentence.

Propagandhim

« Reply #4375 on: October 16, 2021, 08:00:21 PM »
Royalan's Discord DMs are filled with replies from a Turing bot named Cerium just complimenting him all day.

ShutUp

« Reply #4376 on: October 16, 2021, 08:01:13 PM »
Just openly making shocking derogatory comments about people based on skin color. How is that site not the reverse Stormfront?  :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4377 on: October 16, 2021, 08:02:00 PM »
I don't think this needs any specific context, I just feel like it belongs in this thread

Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4378 on: October 16, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
Want to know how I know for a fact the "minority communities" didn't request a more draconian and Kafkaesque moderation implementation?

Because the ResetERA.com staff never publicly asked the "minority communities" anything. Instead they invited selected members to private summits. Summits that worked so well that "AsianEra" mostly skipped theirs (and it never got a public write-up like TransEra's multiple summits) and "HispanicEra" flat out rejected the idea.

blaze

« Reply #4379 on: October 16, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »
They sure do love to say “don’t be assholes” while acting like assholes.