Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1827633 times)

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Forum 4 Sale for $4.5 Million OBO
« Reply #4260 on: October 16, 2021, 04:15:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-90#post-75348441

Quote from: RedMercury
Quote from: TheHunter
I vehemently disagree on that front.
So either Poodlestrike is a liar, or you are somehow in a better position to know this sort of thing and obviously have the metrics and examples to back up your claim which you will provide shortly.

I think the person who is literally on the staff would know what they are talking about.

:popcorn
OBE

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4261 on: October 16, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »
Quote from: Poodlestrike
Just in general for the admins, has there been any contact between M.O.B.A and the team so far? Especially when they state things like this in the press release:
Not as yet. It'll be nice to have more resources for stuff we want to try, though.
Quote from: Nepenthe
So Cerium had something like $500k profit last year, but couldn't get you resources to try stuff? I'm struggling to understand this dynamic.
We need more people on board is what he's saying. Having, say, a bigger tech crew will take a load off of us in many ways.

These dummies think they're going to get some of the resources that Cerium wouldn't spend on them from their new Swedish masters who paid $12 million for a site and haven't even had it updated once in over two years.

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #4262 on: October 16, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-90#post-75348834

Quote from: RK9
Quote from: Makoto Yuki
So one person got uber rich, fuck it. I just pray that it's not another situation like the previous site where the owner is secretly a big hypocrite, and when revealed and called out, didn't own up to any of it.
Yes I also pray this is not the case. Like a homophobe or something like that.
OBE

Propagandhim

« Reply #4263 on: October 16, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
My corporate buyout experience also began with assurances that nothing would change and that this was for the best of everybody involved. We were shut down within a year.

Oh, I've been there.

benjipwns

« Reply #4264 on: October 16, 2021, 04:25:40 PM »
Let's ignore the facts that:

- Staff have said plenty of times we're understaffed for years and most no one gave a shit.
- That plenty of people we invite don't want to come aboard either because they're too busy or because they don't be want to deal with all of the effort it takes to maintain this place.
- That the effort is honestly less the physical workload than the mental health effects of trying in earnest to get a place like Era to work and having that earnestness dismissed or even taken advantage of by trolls and drama mongers.
- That members have outright said on numerous occasions, including in this very thread, that our mental health literally just does not matter.

Again, the ownership doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. The communal aspect of Era comes down to the relationship between the staff and members, not whether the guy at the tippy-top is indeed a guy, a board, or a corporation. People were under the impression that it was option number 2 all this time and either still hated the place and its staff, or didn't care because it didn't affect them much.

So honestly... what does this buyout matter in the moment beyond worst-case, most cynical hypotheticals you can think of?
Did you try telling caring, beloved Cerium?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #4265 on: October 16, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
Just in general for the admins, has there been any contact between M.O.B.A and the team so far? Especially when they state things like this in the press release:
Not as yet. It'll be nice to have more resources for stuff we want to try, though.
So Cerium had something like $500k profit last year, but couldn't get you resources to try stuff? I'm struggling to understand this dynamic.
We need more people on board is what he's saying. Having, say, a bigger tech crew will take a load off of us in many ways.

These dummies think they're going to get some of the resources that Cerium wouldn't spend on them from their new Swedish masters who paid $12 million for a site and haven't even had it updated once in over two years.

Just amazing how Nepenthe is incapable of grasping the point. Cerium could have helped you out himself and hire more staff. He just didn't give a shit. There's no way around that.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4266 on: October 16, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »
:nepenthe emoji no longer works  :thinking

Is the new hobo owner already making decisions without consulting the community?  :anhuld

:nepenthe

It's back- maybe it was removed by accident?  If not might get removed again, but nobody said anything so dunno.

Big Hobo silencing the little guy  :stahp
Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4267 on: October 16, 2021, 04:27:32 PM »
nepenthe and everyone other mod have to just be cerium alts fucking around at this point.

I would do that.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4268 on: October 16, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »
Cerium would have loved to hire more unpaid mods, but unfortunately there was no room in the budget.

Propagandhim

« Reply #4269 on: October 16, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
So all of a sudden it’s okay to support a questionable parent company as long as they don’t interfere with REE. Okay.

And it's suddenly NOT okay to advertise the offshoot lifeboat forum even though Resetera was plastered all over GAF during its fallout.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4270 on: October 16, 2021, 04:33:47 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-90#post-75348777
Quote from: K.Jack (Moderator)
You are the one painting the board as some echo chamber where just disagreeing on a topic will get you banned.

Give me an example which falls outside of those topics I listed where, when not expressing your view like an asshole, you could cop a ban simply for having a different opinion.

Feel free to comb these off-site threads for plenty of examples!  :brain
ど助平

« Reply #4271 on: October 16, 2021, 04:34:03 PM »
Wasn't the staffing problem essentially self-inflicted? Staff only invite whoever passes their private standards for staff to join up; there's not necessarily a shortage of people willing to do the work, just a shortage of people existing staff deem worthy that are willing to do it. Have they ever even done a thing where they accepted applications from the unwashed masses?

The communal aspect of Era comes down to the relationship between the staff and members, not whether the guy at the tippy-top is indeed a guy, a board, or a corporation.

I would be incredibly curious to see anything backing up the idea that the bulk of Era finds the communal aspects of the forum to have a singular thing to do with the staff. Outside select staff's popularity in their own social circles, general attitudes seem to range largely from resentfully tolerating staff  to mostly viewing them as some sort of vague uninteresting monolith. Plus, I mean, the community aspect was strongest before basically any of the current staff were staff so... maybe they aren't really the heart of Era.

benjipwns

« Reply #4272 on: October 16, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
posters: "man, Cerium is a jerk, also the staff should have got some of that, shame on him"
staff: "shut up, Cerium is a god! he sent us PMs! we knew his name like everyone else on the internet! plus we were understaffed, in mental distress and had no resources to ever do anything!"

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4273 on: October 16, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-first-in-game-look.501351/page-5#post-75341238

Quote from: Raigor, post: 75338610, member: 69279
(Image removed from quote.)

User Banned (Permanent) - Racism & Sexism

Quote from: Grimmer, post: 75341238, member: 41660
Another game with Giancarlo Esposito in?
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #4274 on: October 16, 2021, 04:41:23 PM »
The communal aspect of Era comes down to the relationship between the staff and members, not whether the guy at the tippy-top is indeed a guy, a board, or a corporation.

I would be incredibly curious to see anything backing up the idea that the bulk of Era finds the communal aspects of the forum to have a singular thing to do with the staff. Outside select staff's popularity in their own social circles
Whenever the staff talk about "community" they mean themselves, the sycophants who worship the staff and defend their moronic actions, the various tiny cliques the staff supports like TransEra and a slice of PoliEra, and then "community" mainstays like Slayven, Fat4All, incelsiorlef, etc.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #4275 on: October 16, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-first-in-game-look.501351/page-5#post-75341238

Quote from: Raigor, post: 75338610, member: 69279

User Banned (Permanent) - Racism & Sexism

Quote from: Grimmer, post: 75341238, member: 41660
Another game with Giancarlo Esposito in?

It's mean but also... damn, lol

« Reply #4276 on: October 16, 2021, 04:44:21 PM »
Whenever the staff talk about "community" they mean themselves, the sycophants who worship the staff and defend their moronic actions, the various tiny cliques the staff supports like TransEra and a slice of PoliEra, and then "community" mainstays like Slayven, Fat4All, incelsiorlef, etc.

So basically they radiate Dennis Reynolds High School Energy.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #4277 on: October 16, 2021, 04:45:52 PM »
The amount of bad faith theorycrafting is off the charts right now.

:gurl
Fish<

jorma

« Reply #4278 on: October 16, 2021, 04:49:08 PM »

no they finalized the deal on magic find in may 2021 and will make a 3 million last payment in december, just like with ree. i guess that's when they might start changing things.

also, i'm totally going to buy some shares just to make me part owner  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #4279 on: October 16, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »
I was a staff member at launch and my impression of the ownership was always that Cerium had created an LLC and a few others owned shares (which, as it turns out, Cerium later bought from them). This was not hidden or obfuscated or anything (the ToS and Privacy Policy all reference the LLC). I never once got the impression that the ownership was some cooperative or whatever. Veelk is correct that this appears to be some sort of mass delusion, which would possibly explain why so many people are going "I thought this was community owned!!", but meh.

Personally I was fine with Cerium being the owner; he forked out the money and effort (including being automatically doxxed as LLCs are public information) to launch the site, he took the risk (Era could very well have not gotten any traction for all sorts of reasons and the site could have died pitifully within months) and the initiative. It was an investment, not a "grift", and it paid off. Hell, a lot of us posted on NeoGAF back then, despite knowing Evilore, who even pre-metoo was known to be a raging asshole, was the sole owner and was filthy rich from the content we all posted. 🤷‍♀️

To everyone saying "well, it shouldn't have been like that!!", I can only think: how, exactly, would you have made it happen differently? Did you (rhetorical "you" here) want to invest money in buying the software licenses, preparing the hosting, paying a tech team to create add-ons and run anti-DDOS scripts, doxxing yourself to create an LLC, hiring lawyers, overseeing policies and structures and staff and branding, overseeing the invite system for launch, and all that jazz? And if so, why didn't you?
Just because you're a complete and utter idiot who doesn't know how easy it is to setup a forum (as evidenced by Mod edit: we're not here for other people to advertise their personally owned websites) especially when you're buying one off the shelf like XF doesn't mean others don't.

Even if you were insistent on "buying" software licenses for a forum when there's free software, XF costs like $150.
There was no need to "pay" a tech team to create add-ons, these are free from the XF community.
There was no need to setup a LLC, Cerium did this to lock out everyone else for an eventual sale you dense moron.
There was no need for lawyers, except for setting up that LLC.
There was no need for the secrecy, invites, cult like demands of members to be, etc. as shown by literally every other forum on the internet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:57:15 PM by benjipwns »

Boredfrom

« Reply #4280 on: October 16, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-believe-there-is-a-conversation-to-be-had-about-era-new-owners-and-affiliations-details.501402/

Surprised that Seik didn’t get banned.

:sabu

The community has been really fractured beyond repair, so it makes sense. I will not be surprised if MOBA thing is something really fucking shady.

benjipwns

« Reply #4281 on: October 16, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »

This entire page (https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-91) is currently staff and sycophants trying to gaslight, handwave and mock members into stop talking about the obvious problems.

« Reply #4282 on: October 16, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
This post is fun:
Quote from: Zips
Off the top of my head: The recent thread about Jim Ryan is full of them because users had the absolute nerve to try to put some measure of context to a single sentence, out of context quote.
And then the ban on Markratos in that same thread for calling out how users were being insulted for expressing their opinion in that thread.
Haze's post in the Dragon Age 4 thread.
Polyh3dron's post in the Avowed details thread under the guise of "console wars." Vexii being warned for "hostility" for saying "use your brain" in a response in the DF Alan Wake thread.
Haunted's ban in the Jonathan Blow thread because they had the audacity to suggest they're looking forward to the dev's next game.
Cerulean_skylark's being warned for their post in the "Will SMTV be the break out hit for the series..." thread because of "port-begging?" When all they said was that they'd buy the game if it saw "a wider console release later on down the road."
Oh, and then there's TsuWave's ban in the thread about Pokemon Legends details from Kotaku They said "ugly ass game" and caught a day-long ban for "drive-by posting." Seriously?
Sophistry's post in the Koichi Sugiyama thread where they said, and I quote: "Some of the criticism in this thread is thoughtfully constructed. Some of the criticism in this thread is teen edgelord twitter-quality garbage. Noting this difference isn't the same as saying criticism is bad. But to each their own." Their ban reason was "tone policing." Tone policing for voicing their opinion. Several others in that thread snagging bans for daring to say that they find it bizarre or disgusting to celebrate someone's death. Many of those posts opening with the "as much as I found him despicable, I find it bizarre to celebrate someone's death."

These are just from the past few days and from what I saw and remembered off the top of my head. I'm not here to do your homework for you.

I also don't care if you agree with me on this one, but this site is very much an echo chamber.

The TOS is a standard legal necessity full of the typical jargon that covers Era's ass when it comes to data collection, laws (such as adhering to COPPA regulations), covering bases for things like DMCA takedowns, and the like. It is not a set of forum rules that users abide by. In fact, the link in the footer, despite saying it contains the Terms and Rules does not include any such site rules whatsoever. To even see any of the supremely vague rules (with a couple of rare exceptions) on this site, you need to scroll down on the site's FAQ page.

but can it penetrate the self-satisfied joking going on between the cool kids right now?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 05:02:05 PM by nobody of note »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #4283 on: October 16, 2021, 04:59:23 PM »

This entire page (https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-91) is currently staff and sycophants trying to gaslight, handwave and mock members into stop talking about the obvious problems.

at first I wondered why they let the thread stay open

locking that other thread makes it obvious that they want it to be hard for people to find legit criticism, they want it to be buried deep in a 200 page thread, which they will eventually lock and say "welp good talk, glad we all got it out of our systems, future threads on the subject will not be tolerated"
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #4284 on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »
at first I wondered why they let the thread stay open

locking that other thread makes it obvious that they want it to be hard for people to find legit criticism, they want it to be buried deep in a 200 page thread, which they will eventually lock and say "welp good talk, glad we all got it out of our systems, future threads on the subject will not be tolerated"
wow you sound like a conspiracy theorist

when have staff ever done something like that before?

huh huh huh huh answer within five seconds or the staff-directed pile on begins

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #4285 on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
This post is fun:
Off the top of my head: The recent thread about Jim Ryan is full of them because users had the absolute nerve to try to put some measure of context to a single sentence, out of context quote.
And then the ban on Markratos in that same thread for calling out how users were being insulted for expressing their opinion in that thread.
Polyh3dron's post in the Avowed details thread under the guise of "console wars." Vexii being warned for "hostility" for saying "use your brain" in a response in the DF Alan Wake thread.
Haunted's ban in the Jonathan Blow thread because they had the audacity to suggest they're looking forward to the dev's next game.
Cerulean_skylark's being warned for their post in the "Will SMTV be the break out hit for the series..." thread because of "port-begging?" When all they said was that they'd buy the game if it saw "a wider console release later on down the road."
Oh, and then there's TsuWave's ban in the thread about Pokemon Legends details from Kotaku They said "ugly ass game" and caught a day-long ban for "drive-by posting." Seriously?
Sophistry's post in the Koichi Sugiyama thread where they said, and I quote: "Some of the criticism in this thread is thoughtfully constructed. Some of the criticism in this thread is teen edgelord twitter-quality garbage. Noting this difference isn't the same as saying criticism is bad. But to each their own." Their ban reason was "tone policing." Tone policing for voicing their opinion. Several others in that thread snagging bans for daring to say that they find it bizarre or disgusting to celebrate someone's death. Many of those posts opening with the "as much as I found him despicable, I find it bizarre to celebrate someone's death."

These are just from the past few days and from what I saw and remembered off the top of my head. I'm not here to do your homework for you.

I also don't care if you agree with me on this one, but this site is very much an echo chamber.

The TOS is a standard legal necessity full of the typical jargon that covers Era's ass when it comes to data collection, laws (such as adhering to COPPA regulations), covering bases for things like DMCA takedowns, and the like. It is not a set of forum rules that users abide by. In fact, the link in the footer, despite saying it contains the Terms and Rules does not include any such site rules whatsoever. To even see any of the supremely vague rules (with a couple of rare exceptions) on this site, you need to scroll down on the site's FAQ page.

but can it penetrate the self-satisfied joking going on between the cool kids right now?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-91#post-75352137

Quote from: K.Jack
I looked up every single one of these, and I have to say, thank you. All you done is proven we have a completely consistent moderation policy. All of these actions are completely in line with how we handle these types of posts in the corresponding threads.

"We have investigated ourselves and cleared ourselves of any wrongdoing."
OBE

Yulwei

« Reply #4286 on: October 16, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »
Let's ignore the facts that:

- Staff have said plenty of times we're understaffed for years and most no one gave a shit.
- That plenty of people we invite don't want to come aboard either because they're too busy or because they don't be want to deal with all of the effort it takes to maintain this place.
- That the effort is honestly less the physical workload than the mental health effects of trying in earnest to get a place like Era to work and having that earnestness dismissed or even taken advantage of by trolls and drama mongers.
- That members have outright said on numerous occasions, including in this very thread, that our mental health literally just does not matter.

Again, the ownership doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day. The communal aspect of Era comes down to the relationship between the staff and members, not whether the guy at the tippy-top is indeed a guy, a board, or a corporation. People were under the impression that it was option number 2 all this time and either still hated the place and its staff, or didn't care because it didn't affect them much.

So honestly... what does this buyout matter in the moment beyond worst-case, most cynical hypotheticals you can think of?
Did you try telling caring, beloved Cerium?

Forum where they've banned half of their userbase says they've been understaffed for years. Guess they want to get that number up to 90% :leon  then only the true and pure will remain.

blaze

« Reply #4287 on: October 16, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
It’s so fucking funny when the mods are saying “just don’t be a bigot and you won’t get banned” as if that’s the only reason they ban people.

benjipwns

« Reply #4288 on: October 16, 2021, 05:16:52 PM »
It’s so fucking funny when the mods are saying “just don’t be a bigot and you won’t get banned” as if that’s the only reason they ban people.
They just have a broad and highly elastic definition of "bigotry" that they use.

benjipwns

« Reply #4289 on: October 16, 2021, 05:20:37 PM »
God. The echo chamber complaints are passe.

Just don't say fucked up shit about minorites. Just try it and see how much you don't come on our radar. If you don't know anything about an intersectional situation, read and learn. You're not obligated to post every thought in your head.

If we get something wrong (and we will), then you can appeal and we can undo the ban early or strike it from the record. We do appeals all the time. (Not if you act like a Karen in the ticket though. We get plenty of those and will reject with haste.)

We had a VERY lax forum in the beginning. Our Trans and Black communities hated it because they were the undeserved targets of that relaxation. So much crap was allowed to pass. The community said enough.

Until you do can think of a way where I somehow magically do less work and still make sure that gamers aren't making this place even more hostile than it is to our most vulnerable, we're gonna keep banning people as we do.

benjipwns

« Reply #4290 on: October 16, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
Like, I understand being upset about this entire deal and how it's been handled or whatever, but the admins and mods have made it extremely clear that they have not and will not be involved with the ownership change. Why even bother trying to get them to reveal information they simply do not know?
Then why have the staff posted so much making all kinds of absurd claims about information they obviously they do not know?

benjipwns

« Reply #4291 on: October 16, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »
So does this mean a new place will form? sorry i'm not reading 88 pages
Mod edit: we're not doing advertising for other sites
Except everywhere else on the site!

blaze

« Reply #4292 on: October 16, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
Beautiful.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #4293 on: October 16, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
This post is fun:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-91#post-75352137

I looked up every single one of these, and I have to say, thank you. All you done is proven we have a completely consistent moderation policy. All of these actions are completely in line with how we handle these types of posts in the corresponding threads.

"We have investigated ourselves and cleared ourselves of any wrongdoing."

But don’t use the cop metaphor.

benjipwns

« Reply #4294 on: October 16, 2021, 05:35:33 PM »
This is a fascinating discussion from a few pages back:
Imma be honest, chief.

There aren't many, if any, gaming forums out there of this active size with a staff team that gives as much of a damn about trying to foster a spirit of intersectionality as much as we do. Meetings with minority groups? Intentionally promoting people of a minority status? Allowing these members to oversee and have final issues pertinent to them? Changing rule sets and implementing new features to better serve people's needs? Curtailing the presence of a major AAA title because it was transphobic? Intentionally trying to learn about world issues so that we are better equipped than we would otherwise to deal with disputes? Donation drives?

Praytell where the fuck else are these efforts happening elsewhere on the Internet? Please tell me so I can steal their rule set and maybe make my life easier.

I don't feel as the actual ownership has mattered as much to the communal intentions of Era as what is being portrayed here. You all said it yourself; Cerium has not had a big presence, and yet staff have gone out of their way to at least try on behalf of you all for these last four years. So long as MOBA allows me to continue banning stupid crackery, then I'll stay. I should hope others will stay aboard as well.
Yet, despite these efforts, the forum has been steadily bleeding users. In fact, as of the past year and a bit, the steady bleeding has turned into a hemorrhage.

This, to me, makes it seem like the very structure of those efforts was wrong. As I see it, effort on its own has no intrinsic value. It's worthless. You can put in your best effort and end up with Monkey Jesus.

I think the issue isn't effort (or lack thereof), but rather clarity of focus (or lack thereof).
..... Has it though? Our numbers have pretty much remained steady at the 50k remark. If we drop down to like 35k, sure that's alarming. But you overestimate the impact of various exoduses on the raw numbers.
Do those numbers exclude permabanned members, or those who have requested account deletion? Also, people who are still nominally members, but don't bother coming here anymore, will artificially inflate the figures.
I mean our daily account approval queue is usually 50-100, so I mean.
Thank you for the clarification; however, my initial question, regarding the counting (or not) of permabanned/account deleted members as part of total user numbers (as displayed on the main page), went unanswered.
I mean, it's probably not a good metric, but stating "Trans/Asia/Sales Era all left" is demonstrably not true, but it gets peddled as such and is used to denigrate the site as fatally bleeding out with no pushback. Some members of these communities do leave, but do you think all of these minorites and niche communities are literally gone? I should hope you don't.

Shuri

« Reply #4295 on: October 16, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »
mods are just trying to control the narrative using "pls respect us we're victims here, u guyz dont treat us right ok?", a well known weakness of the ERA populace.

This way, users don't riot and abandon the forum.

benjipwns

« Reply #4296 on: October 16, 2021, 05:39:15 PM »
Quote from: PlanetSmasher
it even makes me pretty cynical at times and i have to catch myself, like sometimes i wonder if some of these "concerns" are from bad faith agitators that are trying to sow dissent because we know that this place has its good share of external enemies and they have accounts on this site for certain.
I am certain there are folks who wait with bated breath for forum drama to flare up so they can use it as a cover to stir shit up, turn people against the staff, or harass specific staff members. Motherfuckers who don't actually care about the community, they just want to see blood.
:spiders

blaze

« Reply #4297 on: October 16, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »
“Bad faith agitators” are these real fucking people?

Hap Shaughnessy

« Reply #4298 on: October 16, 2021, 05:41:48 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-92#post-75354147

I am certain there are folks who wait with bated breath for forum drama to flare up so they can use it as a cover to stir shit up, turn people against the staff, or harass specific staff members. Motherfuckers who don't actually care about the community, they just want to see blood.
And I can't get in on it because I don't have an account. :hmph
For now that is. :awesome
OBE

benjipwns

« Reply #4299 on: October 16, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
Quote from: Hecht
I mean I've found plenty of alts in this thread. A couple of them are people who originally said "I'M LEAVING, GO TO HELL" and yet...

benjipwns

« Reply #4300 on: October 16, 2021, 05:43:32 PM »
Alright I got worried something might happen. But if this thread is almost 100 pages I suppose it means people dont agree with the new ownership.
:neogaf

It's nearly a hundred pages of the moderators bitching about the users as nobody cares at all about the new owners.

blaze

« Reply #4301 on: October 16, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
My alt got banned yesterday. I wish I did use it to stir shit up instead of trying to use the B/S/T thread  :(

Boredfrom

« Reply #4302 on: October 16, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »
For fuck sake, the quantity of trolls is way less than any other forum just for the fact that they ban anyone that questions anything they like. Assholes are just hated because they are blatant assholes, almost nobody hates Nepenthe because she is a black woman but because she is a racist prick, planet Smasher is hated by regular users in the video game board and not trolls watching him fuck up, excelsiorcief is more of a troll than the majority of the banned “trolls”.

samir

« Reply #4303 on: October 16, 2021, 05:46:51 PM »
Whenever someone at Reset talks about caring about the community, I wonder what community? The forum is a cesspool of mentally unstable individuals. It's just non-stop whining and backstabbing, run for free by a bunch of marks with inflated egos.

The only one truly caring about that community was Cerium, because he knew he could flip it for a sweet $4.5 million 8)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #4304 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
mods are just trying to control the narrative using "pls respect us we're victims here, u guyz dont treat us right ok?", a well known weakness of the ERA populace.

This way, users don't riot and abandon the forum.

It's so weird how they keep doing that when they literally make the rules. A few pages back Morrigan described this "traumatic experience"

Here's a perfect example: Vulpix made the lovely E3 logos earlier this year. As usual, E3 coincide with Pride Month, so for a few days, the Pride logos that were in rotation started to include gaming/E3 logos. (For a brief moment the Pride logos disappeared due to a temporary glitch but were quickly re-integrated, before anyone brings this up)
So naturally, this was twisted as "mods not caring about Pride", "mods only care about corporate gaming brands" blah blah. This was really hurtful for Vulpix who is LGBTQ herself, and to all the other LGBTQ staff members who also care deeply about Pride and being told they don't care/are only performative etc. All that over logos that were in rotation to celebrate gaming for 3-4 days.

This is literally the community they fostered. People who jump on any chance to cancel someone and then they cry and whine when it hits them

Hap Shaughnessy

OBE

benjipwns

« Reply #4306 on: October 16, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
Quote from: Veelk
it's never felt like one person was calling the shots during my stay of Resetera. Every time there is a change, big or small, every time there is a ban, it's endlessly re-iterated that it was made with the input of multiple mods and administrators, with there never being a single mod that has disputed this. Can you name a single time that a change was made from Cerium without him consulting and talking to other people? Even this sale seems to have been made with other mods input, including B-Dubs saying he advised Cerium on the sale.

I don't know how to state it another way: Saying a thing is community driven or community managed does not imply community owned.
Can you believe these people who continue to write propaganda for Cerium? They're making up their own theories about him being this wonderful guy who engaged the community and hashed everything out in public rather than it being all behind the scenes with him being a non-entity from day one.

Oh, he was "advised" on the sale by B-Dubs huh?

That's why he engaged a company specifically to sell his forum without telling or discussing it with anyone, not even the staff he so prized. And then that broker sold it to one of their regular partners. (Anyone want to bet the other "offer" that they collectively wisely and sagely turned down came from Valnet?)

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #4307 on: October 16, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
So who was complaining about the missing pride logos, surely it wasn’t the alt right trolls right?  Right…?

benjipwns

« Reply #4308 on: October 16, 2021, 05:55:07 PM »
I realize, as someone who is prone to apocalyptic thinking, how easy it is to panic in a situation like this, but as long as I don't see pinned threads in Etc. railing against Brie Larson, I don't see any reason to freak out.
:lol Now they have to be "pinned" threads even!

My mindset is, you wanna worry? Worry away! But realize that all the same folks who have been running the site up to this point are still running it. If things start changing markedly in a direction we all don't agree with, that's when we panic
Well, the "same folks" except for how literally every member from the original staff but Slayven quietly was turned over and the entire admin staff left because Cerium was hoarding all the money. And none of this was ever made public, let alone allowed to be discussed on the forum. But other than that, no, the same folks are not still running it because it just got sold to new owners!

« Reply #4309 on: October 16, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »
Quote from: Trafalgar Law
I dunno how to parse it but I dunno at times
I dunno how to put my finger on it but I feel era often overcorrects and over compensates
Some of the bans and suspensions I’ve seen felt harsh
Also as minority I dunno it feels like people can’t be authentic and communicate some complex things , I wish it was possible without it devolving and it does feel like virtue signaling at times on here
It feels like it comes to a head and shit like this pops up and the community falls apart ala gaf style
Dude. You literally have two actions, one of which was a ban for posting NSFW stuff, and another was a warning for dismissiveness. Not even a ban.

I mean, come on dude. Really? This is considered harsh treatment? As someone who has been permabanned from the ActiBlizz forums with nary a regret for a single anti-bigot thing I posted there (especially since their company is on fire right now hahahahahaha I win you stupid fucks), forgive me if I'm not being all that sympathetic to you.

And yeah, on a site with some 50,000 anonymous strangers from around the world that is heavily monitored due to the demographics involved, you're not going to be able to talk like it's a 30 member Discord. I don't even do that, and I'm a goddamn admin. In terms of sheer numbers, there's an infinitesimally small amount of people on here I'd consider a true friend.

Now, we try our best to let certain things play out of it's a situation we cannot reasonably make a ruling on because they lay at an intersection between two marginalized communities (although even then, I personally try to stay out of these conversations because they're no business of white folks anyway). But I think a big mistake some people have made it treating ResetEra like their all in their life, like a place where you can be, or should be, allowed to "tell it like it is" and be as raw as possible at the expense of others' time here or the entire rule set, and then taking any punishment that comes their way as a result of lack of tact as a personal slight from a staff that personally hates them.

Like, it's the absolute most.

Poster: "Some of the bans and suspensions I’ve seen felt harsh "
Nepenthe: "You deserved what you got, which wasn't even that bad!"

Like take two seconds and realize that phrasing probably referred to shit that happened to other people

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4310 on: October 16, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »

:rodney

Quote from: Veelk
it's never felt like one person was calling the shots during my stay of Resetera. Every time there is a change, big or small, every time there is a ban, it's endlessly re-iterated that it was made with the input of multiple mods and administrators, with there never being a single mod that has disputed this. Can you name a single time that a change was made from Cerium without him consulting and talking to other people? Even this sale seems to have been made with other mods input, including B-Dubs saying he advised Cerium on the sale.

I don't know how to state it another way: Saying a thing is community driven or community managed does not imply community owned.
Can you believe these people who continue to write propaganda for Cerium? They're making up their own theories about him being this wonderful guy who engaged the community and hashed everything out in public rather than it being all behind the scenes with him being a non-entity from day one.

Oh, he was "advised" on the sale by B-Dubs huh?

That's why he engaged a company specifically to sell his forum without telling or discussing it with anyone, not even the staff he so prized. And then that broker sold it to one of their regular partners. (Anyone want to bet the other "offer" that they collectively wisely and sagely turned down came from Valnet?)

I don't think that posted understands what those words they are using mean.

Getting a heads up now means advised.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:05:28 PM by Cauliflower Of Love »

benjipwns

« Reply #4311 on: October 16, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »
As someone who has been permabanned from the ActiBlizz forums with nary a regret for a single anti-bigot thing I posted there (especially since their company is on fire right now hahahahahaha I win you stupid fucks)
Which Overwatch 2 edition are you going to preorder?

benjipwns

« Reply #4312 on: October 16, 2021, 06:05:28 PM »
Now, we try our best to let certain things play out of it's a situation we cannot reasonably make a ruling on because they lay at an intersection between two marginalized communities (although even then, I personally try to stay out of these conversations because they're no business of white folks anyway).
I see.

Propagandhim

« Reply #4313 on: October 16, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
Now, we try our best to let certain things play out of it's a situation we cannot reasonably make a ruling on because they lay at an intersection between two marginalized communities (although even then, I personally try to stay out of these conversations because they're no business of white folks anyway).
I see.

:gladbron

the big reveal

benjipwns

« Reply #4314 on: October 16, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-believe-there-is-a-conversation-to-be-had-about-era-new-owners-and-affiliations-details.501402/

Surprised that Seik didn’t get banned.
They quietly revoked his ability to make threads:
Sorry you got ignored.
I'm sorry too, what a bad look for this place this all is.

Also, I am now locked out of making threads in EtcetEra, wow!!!!

benjipwns

« Reply #4315 on: October 16, 2021, 06:25:21 PM »
I'll take your Jim Ryan thread examples. White people can't be popping into a thread where people from the Middle East are taking issue with Jim Ryan, just to say "lol fake outrage" or "people get mad over the dumbest stuff" or just defending the leader of their brand. That goes beyond "opposing views or dissenting opinions" and is the shutting down of minority voices. Coming in to drop your "well actually he meant x, why can't you see that" is being dismissive. Can you see the difference?

Where is there critical thinking "hive mind/echo chamber/yes-men mentality" involved in any of that?
That isn't how good social discourse is rendered. You're essentially saying those minorities are too incompetent to explain why they feel the way they do and if others don't agree, they can simply ignore the more ridiculous responses. Again assuming minorities can't handle things themselves or even care what someone from another region thinks.
That's always easy to say from the ivory tower of not being the minority who always has to deal with your concerns being drowned out by the dismissiveness.
And K.Jack knows this poster isn't a member of that "minority" how?

anime tits

« Reply #4316 on: October 16, 2021, 06:25:48 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-93#post-75356445

Nepenthe is basically the Alex Jones of resetera

It's amazing how yelling at people just did not make the forum "more progressive" and only made the screechers more unhinged over the years. Really makes you think  :doge

Propagandhim

« Reply #4317 on: October 16, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
They didn't ban him because they didn't want to jolt anyone up.   So they castrated him.  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #4318 on: October 16, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
Why the cognitive dissonance about not getting paid as mods and admins?
Who let you back in the house?
Nope.

No.

No, no, no.

Oh no, you sweet-ass summer child.

The absolute fuck?

Minorites aren't obligated to explain fuck all to a group of people who don't take their issues seriously in the first place.

A mere Planck's length of empathy was all that was needed to understand why going to bat for some no-name white talking shit about the Middle East isn't a good idea in 2021, and not only did you not manage to do that then, but you're still doing it now under the guise of trying to foster "discussion."

Trying to "discuss" racism. Absolute nonsense.

But hey! The good news is we are "adjacent to some alt-right networks" now so you want have to go too far to get the "discussion" you desire.

Fucking clownery.
I think someone needs to contact MOBA Network AB so they can intervene with unpaid staff member B-Dubs so that he can intervene in what is clearly an example of one of their unpaid staff members having a public mental breakdown.

anime tits

« Reply #4319 on: October 16, 2021, 06:28:17 PM »
Why the cognitive dissonance about not getting paid as mods and admins?
Who let you back in the house?
I think someone needs to contact MOBA Network AB so they can intervene with unpaid staff member B-Dubs so that he can intervene in what is clearly an example of one of their unpaid staff members having a public mental breakdown.

Like a breakdown every time they post with no cool downs, must nerf now