Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1785122 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Member's Moderation History
« Reply #420 on: September 21, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-36-2021-sep-06-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/page-31#post-73768795
Quote from: Mbolibombo
Quote from: Waddles the Piggu
Yeah everything won't be the same right now. Lelouch stops doing NPD, Bruno is perma banned for some reason, we don't know whether Chris will return.

They banned Bruno for off-site an comment of one admin on this forum.

Quote from: Waddles the Piggu
Ohh thanks. Wait, I thought off site drama was not a reason for bans?
Quote from: Jon Carter
Holy crap, I didn’t realize Bruno was permabanned. For an off-site comment? Is that even following the rules? That’s a huge loss.
Quote from: brutaka3
So... they took the time of searching for Bruno's Twitter account and check if he said something there? ok...

Quote from: Dmax3901
What are you talking about, of course people should be banned for off-site shit. Mods getting harassed for doing a thankless job is no joke.

:brain

https://twitter.com/BrunoMB84/status/1440196691668340736

Oh no, such vile harassment

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Member's Moderation History
« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »
Quote from: Pooroomoo
All I will say is that if Chris decides not to return, he will not be alone. If you want to see how this thread will look like in that case, have a look at the equivalent thread on the other site.

:hmm

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hw-sw-sales-in-spain-italy-france-belgium-and-india.1619023/

:idont
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #423 on: September 21, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »
no ban history, actually prominent member of a community, tweets (from a fairly obscure account) that Nepenthe should not be an admin, is permed within 24 hours

:neogaf

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »
does this mean that ree mods are spying on users off site? :info
(ice)

Propagandhim

« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
Fuckin' Nepenthe, man.     :lol :lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
i mean nothing the big homie said was wrong, it is kinda silly to elevate your most insane poster to admin, unless you just wanna watch shit burn :trumps
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »
does this mean that ree mods are spying on users off site? :info

either that or someone is snitching, either way its pretty fucking sad :neogaf
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »
no ban history, actually prominent member of a community, tweets (from a fairly obscure account) that Nepenthe should not be an admin, is permed within 24 hours

um sweaty get the quote correct: "the fact somebody like Nepenthe is still an administrator says it all about that place"

pretty easy to see what they really meant: "the fact [a black person] is still an administrator says it all about that place"

:ufup
Uncle

samir

« Reply #429 on: September 21, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
Skin so thin it's practically translucent

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
:bow :nepenthe :bow2
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
We only allow ON-SITE harassment here.  :ufup
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »
:rash

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Official Off-site Discussion and Women Appreciation Thread |OT| #girlpower
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »
They don't actually, we have to go back.

I'm recruiting special forces to save gamers in Afghanistan.
All we have to do is defeat the Taliban which seems pretty easy tbh

(Image removed from quote.)

TF? How the hell did they manage to get SMTV early?
^_^

Klelk

« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2021, 10:24:38 AM »
Nintendo General Discussion |OT27| The Hunt for Dread October (Support Afghan Women) |Trans rights will always be human rights | Free Palestine | RIP Gabby Petito

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #435 on: September 21, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/does-chess-just-suck-the-answer-is-yes.489409/

Quote from: John Kowalski
Ocarina of Time > chess and that's just the truth.
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #436 on: September 21, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »
a bold statement to make on a supposed video game forum :doge

skimmed the first and last page and I'm surprised no one has dropped a chess is racist kind of insane take tbh :titus
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #437 on: September 21, 2021, 10:47:51 AM »
Explain the Discord Wars.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #438 on: September 21, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
a bold statement to make on a supposed video game forum :doge

skimmed the first and last page and I'm surprised no one has dropped a chess is racist kind of insane take tbh :titus

the fact that society perpetually elevates this complex final fantasy tactics game as a shining example of European brilliance, contrasted with the popular myth that the best Africa can manage are simple games like mancala with it's dirt pits and seeds, is yet another manifestation of Eurocentrism and racism we've come to expect from modern discourse
 :snob
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2021, 11:25:03 AM »
Every one of these threads on Era has produced one result in common: bullying.

A dev manager calling the subject of the thread an asshole wasn't even part of the story - until this thread. Neither was targeting or profiling members on Era as company employees or boosters, just for expressing even a glimmer of interest in the game and this particular developer's work - whether they know it's his work or not, or makes a purchase or not.

So no, none of these threads should be stickied or promoted or take the place of game-focused threads, if the result is people targeting and bullying other members. And that includes setting aside the subject of the thread - who is only telling his story - to insist the conversation be only about a certain arrangement of work organization, or suggest that people cannot discuss the game, or suggest that someone's story shouldn't be acknowledged unless the "full story" comes out.

I've been on the bad side of work situations before. What helps the most moving forward from them is having the support system of other people listening, acknowledging, and looking out for future opportunities for you. Not letting a mob form to go after other people in your community. And people should still talk about the results of the work you did, even when the experience was negative - as they will come to know over time that it was you who made a difference.

He'd have been banned so hard if he had made this post during the Cyberpunk 2077 times. "OMG ARE YOU CALLING TRANS ERA BULLIES?  :maf"

Now it seems like the mods want to step back from the whole idea of banning publishers etc. but they of course do it in their dumbass passive aggressive way

User threadbanned: thread derailment. This is not the thread to discuss moderation policy.
Like if you ban someone and say "this is the wrong thread" maybe, just maybe point them to the right one? If there even is one
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:34:48 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Jansen

« Reply #440 on: September 21, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »

um sweaty get the quote correct: "the fact somebody like Nepenthe is still an administrator says it all about that place"

pretty easy to see what they really meant: "the fact [a black person] is still an administrator says it all about that place"

:ufup

Umm nepnep is a double minority thank you very much  :nepenthe

Jansen

« Reply #441 on: September 21, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
I'm loving all the doom posting from nintendies over the potential death of media create threads

I just can't understand why they fucking care so much :lol

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #442 on: September 21, 2021, 12:08:23 PM »
I'm loving all the doom posting from nintendies over the potential death of media create threads

I will say I remember the name chris from back at neogaf i.e. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/media-create-sales-2014-cy-2013-12-30-2014-12-28.1076342/

so if a 1 day ban at era is enough to scare him away permanently, that's a little significant if the dude's being doing these threads for like 20 years
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #443 on: September 21, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »

23 Following
48 Followers

For fucks sake Im even more popular 
:O

ShutUp

« Reply #444 on: September 21, 2021, 12:21:13 PM »
Nep Nep has the audacity to constantly talk about the fragility of others and yet has the absolute thinnest skin in human existence  :lol

Though it is a little funny to suddenly see the complaining about a ban for off site comments. Not so fun to see it happen to someone when its someone you like, eh Era?  :kermit

Oh and I noticed ZeoVGM got banned for something. Probably that Marcia Lucas thread daring to criticize Rey did him in. Defending Disney at all costs!

Jansen

« Reply #445 on: September 21, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »

I will say I remember the name chris from back at neogaf i.e. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/media-create-sales-2014-cy-2013-12-30-2014-12-28.1076342/

so if a 1 day ban at era is enough to scare him away permanently, that's a little significant if the dude's being doing these threads for like 20 years

Oh I'm aware of sales-age and how they cried so hard over the death of NPD :rofl

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #446 on: September 21, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »
Nep Nep has the audacity to constantly talk about the fragility of others and yet has the absolute thinnest skin in human existence  :lol

Though it is a little funny to suddenly see the complaining about a ban for off site comments. Not so fun to see it happen to someone when its someone you like, eh Era?  :kermit

:salute
Uncle

Jansen

« Reply #447 on: September 21, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
From the totally constructive community criticism thread

Quote from: Dmax3901, post: 73747567, member: 4989

I gotta be honest I read the sales thread and it just seemed like a bunch of toxic children getting mad they couldn't continue to be toxic children. The ban that kicked it all off was for a single day, lol. Also, the comparisons to Asian era and trans era were laughable, it's a fucking sales data thread.

Quote from: Dmax3901, post: 73755961, member: 4989

The ban might've been misguided, but again, it wasn't a permanent ban or even a long one. The mods came in with guidelines moving forward which suggests that, regardless of how things were before, there are now more strict rules that will need to be followed.

The mass bans you mention were largely people being openly hostile towards the mods, continuing to post things directly in violation of the rules that had just been laid out and making inappropriate comparisons to the situations with minority groups on Era. I even saw someone insinuate a mod was somehow tied to an industry executive and thats why people were being banned, lol.

Dmax being a total bitch and angling for that mod position :lol
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:39:27 PM by Jansen »

Jansen

« Reply #448 on: September 21, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »

Oh and I noticed ZeoVGM got banned for something. Probably that Marcia Lucas thread daring to criticize Rey did him in. Defending Disney at all costs!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vgc-the-former-lead-designer-of-kena-bridge-of-spirits-claims-he-was-%E2%80%98maliciously-forced-out%E2%80%99.299336/page-4#post-73756771

ShutUp

« Reply #449 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »
Five whole days of not being able to defend Disney. What a shame.

ShutUp

« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:54 PM »
From the totally constructive community criticism thread

Quote from: Dmax3901, post: 73747567, member: 4989

I gotta be honest I read the sales thread and it just seemed like a bunch of toxic children getting mad they couldn't continue to be toxic children. The ban that kicked it all off was for a single day, lol. Also, the comparisons to Asian era and trans era were laughable, it's a fucking sales data thread.

Quote from: Dmax3901, post: 73755961, member: 4989

The ban might've been misguided, but again, it wasn't a permanent ban or even a long one. The mods came in with guidelines moving forward which suggests that, regardless of how things were before, there are now more strict rules that will need to be followed.

The mass bans you mention were largely people being openly hostile towards the mods, continuing to post things directly in violation of the rules that had just been laid out and making inappropriate comparisons to the situations with minority groups on Era. I even saw someone insinuate a mod was somehow tied to an industry executive and thats why people were being banned, lol.

Dmax being a total bitch and angling for that mod position :lol

Pops into that sales thread, stirs up drama, dips when too many start calling him out and runs to this thread to whine. He’s definitely mod material.

Jansen

« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/ZeoVGM?s=09

Chances he'll say anything bad about the mods on era? 50k posts say nope

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2021, 01:19:34 PM »

Oh I'm aware of sales-age and how they cried so hard over the death of NPD :rofl
nintex the dutch sales god brings us NPD numbers too

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2021, 01:37:30 PM »
is zeroVAG the dude who tweets companies about ree shit?
(ice)

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
Every one of these threads on Era has produced one result in common: bullying.

A dev manager calling the subject of the thread an asshole wasn't even part of the story - until this thread. Neither was targeting or profiling members on Era as company employees or boosters, just for expressing even a glimmer of interest in the game and this particular developer's work - whether they know it's his work or not, or makes a purchase or not.

So no, none of these threads should be stickied or promoted or take the place of game-focused threads, if the result is people targeting and bullying other members. And that includes setting aside the subject of the thread - who is only telling his story - to insist the conversation be only about a certain arrangement of work organization, or suggest that people cannot discuss the game, or suggest that someone's story shouldn't be acknowledged unless the "full story" comes out.

I've been on the bad side of work situations before. What helps the most moving forward from them is having the support system of other people listening, acknowledging, and looking out for future opportunities for you. Not letting a mob form to go after other people in your community. And people should still talk about the results of the work you did, even when the experience was negative - as they will come to know over time that it was you who made a difference.

He'd have been banned so hard if he had made this post during the Cyberpunk 2077 times. "OMG ARE YOU CALLING TRANS ERA BULLIES?  :maf"

Now it seems like the mods want to step back from the whole idea of banning publishers etc. but they of course do it in their dumbass passive aggressive way

Would love to see how that poster’s sentiment would have been received in any of the Diablo threads, if it wouldn’t be predictable as hell.

BIONIC

« Reply #455 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »

I mean you got him, messmess, the world renowned diversity analyst, and a dozen other jobbers. Gotta be more specific.
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2021, 02:03:12 PM »

I mean you got him, messmess, the world renowned diversity analyst, and a dozen other jobbers. Gotta be more specific.

Zeovag is the guy who made a thread to specifically target a Russian woman for her cyberpunk cosplay

Propagandhim

« Reply #457 on: September 21, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »
It's not really about the length of the ban.  That Chris guy is an industry professional, and when he learned someone that probably looks like this " :nepenthe " doled him out a ban for literally nothing, he probably won't even bother coming back and waste his time.  The users there understand that and are peeved that a major contributor to their community won't bother coming back.  You might be able to wantonly temp ban 90% of the dipshit idiots that post on Era but keep coming back, but actual adults that have better things to do, and actually have value attached to their time will just bolt.

Switters

« Reply #458 on: September 21, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
Zeo's philosophy is to never snitch down. Always snitch up.
troll

BikeJesus

« Reply #459 on: September 21, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »
Meta Council, this is your chance!

https://twitter.com/ZeoVGM?s=09

Chances he'll say anything bad about the mods on era? 50k posts say nope

Never trust someone with two first names.

« Reply #460 on: September 21, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »
I wonder what harassment was sent Nepenthe's way for the extremely harsh and life-shattering criticism that is "she shouldn't be an admin on a video game forum".

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #461 on: September 21, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »

« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2021, 02:35:21 PM »
It's not really about the length of the ban.  That Chris guy is an industry professional, and when he learned someone that probably looks like this " :nepenthe " doled him out a ban for literally nothing, he probably won't even bother coming back and waste his time.  The users there understand that and are peeved that a major contributor to their community won't bother coming back.  You might be able to wantonly temp ban 90% of the dipshit idiots that post on Era but keep coming back, but actual adults that have better things to do, and actually have value attached to their time will just bolt.

I also have to assume, at this point, that most people know having the staff take an interest in your community thread is basically the kiss of death for whatever you might have enjoyed about it. Let the community do its own thing and largely self-police for years as tension builds because none of your mod team reads it; eventually, enough people who have beef with the community will troll the thread enough times that things will get contentious and then they can spam reports, at which point the moderation team that has little or no interaction with the thread will stomp in, ban regulars for being meanies, lay down the new true guidelines of interaction to protect innocent 'decent' members. People holding a grudge will proceed to use those new rules to slowly chip away at remaining enemies, and the community ends up either migrated off-site or fractured (the whole thing feels like a retread of the PoliEra fracture a couple years ago, but I'm guessing the Media Create stuff is way more important to the site's traffic.)

So if Chris ends up not coming back, I'm not going to blame him for wanting to skip the rest of the cycle--they're determined enough to destroy whatever vibe that thread had going to OK permaing that guy for essentially mildly criticizing the staffing decisions in a low-profile Twitter thread.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #463 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »
:reeeee

Jansen

« Reply #464 on: September 21, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »

I also have to assume, at this point, that most people know having the staff take an interest in your community thread is basically the kiss of death for whatever you might have enjoyed about it. Let the community do its own thing and largely self-police for years as tension builds because none of your mod team reads it; eventually, enough people who have beef with the community will troll the thread enough times that things will get contentious and then they can spam reports, at which point the moderation team that has little or no interaction with the thread will stomp in, ban regulars for being meanies, lay down the new true guidelines of interaction to protect innocent 'decent' members. People holding a grudge will proceed to use those new rules to slowly chip away at remaining enemies, and the community ends up either migrated off-site or fractured (the whole thing feels like a retread of the PoliEra fracture a couple years ago, but I'm guessing the Media Create stuff is way more important to the site's traffic.)

So if Chris ends up not coming back, I'm not going to blame him for wanting to skip the rest of the cycle--they're determined enough to destroy whatever vibe that thread had going to OK permaing that guy for essentially mildly criticizing the staffing decisions in a low-profile Twitter thread.

So it's pretty obvious that you're one of the users from that thread. Anything that upsets the nintendies so much can't be all bad  8)

Jansen

« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »

The twist here is that it's a guy isn't it

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:16 PM »
that's nepenthe
Uncle

BIONIC

« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:20 PM »

What if it is  :ufup
Margs

Jansen

« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »

What if it is  :ufup

Either way it's a nice ass

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2021, 03:27:47 PM »
Remember this thread?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nyc-hostess-attacked-after-asking-for-proof-of-vaccination.487831/

Well, of course we have an update.

Black Restaurant Patrons Said NYC Hostess Called Them N-Word: Attorney

Now, at this point, after calling the Texans savages and so forth, one would think ERA would cool their heels…

:jawalrus

Of course the hostess from NYC would be racist...not surprised /s

Everybody that was clowning on Texas in this thread I now expect you to show the same treatment for New York City.

So I am guessing they sat down and were vaxxed, the people showing up after the fact weren't all vaxxed and as a result everyone walked out but the hostess had to get one barb in and threw a slur and got mollywoppped.

Im laughing at how the Carmines manager was all selling the lie to the news too.

Yikes. MAGA people weaponizing vaccine status (which a lot of them don't comply with) to screw over POC. There is no low to these folks.

I wonder if it went down like, "Where are your vaccination records, n-words?"

cut to,

"omg I can't believe they beat me up because I asked if they were vaccinated."

I’m just wondering when this next one gets their ban for dismissing racism.

Did any other witnesses hear the slur word? Right now the allegation that a swear word was used if from the defense attorney. People are pretty quick to believe whatever story is presented to them. That goes for the hostess and the Texans.

:camby

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
Dmax right now
Spud

Jansen

BikeJesus

« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2021, 03:38:46 PM »
>visual novel
>rape simulator

That's a bit of a reach. Reeeeeee will allow it, though, since it shits on Steam.

« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
So it's pretty obvious that you're one of the users from that thread. Anything that upsets the nintendies so much can't be all bad  8)

Denying this feels pointless, but not doing it seems like tacit agreement and how very dare you. I am a PC Gaming loser with a Steam bias, a crippling forum drama addiction, and an unhealthy penchant for over-researching said drama because being an employed adult is boring as shit.

Actually meaningfully participating in threads would risk my Era account and, from there, access to the Best Thread On The Site.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-steam-is-now-ok-with-rape-simulator.489616/

"She had a sexy body and big boobs"

:trigger

in this case it would be naive to give this game any benefit of the doubt, but I still take issue with the vibe of hey let's all get together and report this game and get it taken down, without ever playing it and seeing what the objectionable content is

I could go tag divinoids as having non-consensual sex right now, someone could see that and go report it for endorsing rape
Uncle

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
>visual novel
>rape simulator

That's a bit of a reach. Reeeeeee will allow it, though, since it shits on Steam.

Hate to agree with resetera but it does seem a tad rapey

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2021, 04:35:16 PM »
>visual novel
>rape simulator

Hate to agree with resetera but it does seem a tad rapey
Hey man, don't kink shame the extremely large breasted woman who is tied up in a dungeon. Maybe she's into that kind of thing.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2021, 04:39:31 PM »
But her Pleasure is only at 3

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »
And now sales go up for the game

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #479 on: September 21, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »
But her Pleasure is only at 3

'cuz he hasn't clicked "touching boobs" yet.
Oi Oi