Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1828866 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: Other Forums Containment Thread
« Reply #12300 on: January 27, 2022, 11:10:48 AM »
/u/Kimezukae in general was reading feedback and was setting up r/antiworkmedia, a counter-platform for Antiwork so that we have our own media. However, the 'project' was not started to begin with, /u/Kimezukae just started the subreddit and sort of forget about it later, as in the internal chat other things unrelated were discussed

:delicious

marrec

« Reply #12301 on: January 27, 2022, 11:16:45 AM »
Moderating loony leftist message boards seems like a hell of a lot of work which, you'd think would be anathema to these people.

Propagandhim

« Reply #12302 on: January 27, 2022, 11:18:04 AM »
Who's /u/Kimezukae ? Why did he do interviews?

Hello, I'm a 21 years old male, long-term unemployed and an Anarchist. I've been surfing this Subreddit since 2020 and it helped me in my journey when I started to began to be unemployed. When I began to read this Subreddit I was a leftist-liberal, namely a social-democrat. I've been reading some of the recommended literature from the library since then, for example Bob Black's "Abolition of Work" and have been radicalized to an Anarchist.

:dead

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12303 on: January 27, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »
Weirdo mods and sexual abuse. Name a more iconic duo.

The FBI and COINTELPRO :nintex
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12304 on: January 27, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »
I liked that part, nowhere do they explain why setting up another separate subreddit for "media" as a "counter-platform" was some kind of staff goal, it's just sort of passed over as if it's obvious.

Posted byu/Kimezukae
18 hours ago
This is an abandoned project when user suggested that we make an alternative media about antiwork, making sure media can't misrepresent us. But I never worked on it as I had no resources.

Some news about anti-work related struggles

Created Jan 5, 2022

BisMarckie

« Reply #12305 on: January 27, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »

Not working and academia :smug

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12306 on: January 27, 2022, 11:25:58 AM »
I liked that part, nowhere do they explain why setting up another separate subreddit for "media" as a "counter-platform" was some kind of staff goal, it's just sort of passed over as if it's obvious.

Posted byu/Kimezukae
18 hours ago
This is an abandoned project when user suggested that we make an alternative media about antiwork, making sure media can't misrepresent us. But I never worked on it as I had no resources.

Some news about anti-work related struggles

Created Jan 5, 2022

Benji-Sales is an abandoned project from when a user said "Hey benji, you should start a twitter for Sales figures."
©@©™

Propagandhim

« Reply #12307 on: January 27, 2022, 11:26:31 AM »

Chomsky @ :30:  "There is a point of view associated with capitalist systems that if you weren't driven to work, you'd prefer to vegetate. I don't think that has anything to do with human beings."

Big Bob Black:  "Hold my beer"

marrec

« Reply #12308 on: January 27, 2022, 11:27:43 AM »
We were about 10 mods active at the time and most of them were working more than 8 hours through the mod queue and the subreddit in general

:cenk

SmokyDave

« Reply #12309 on: January 27, 2022, 11:31:40 AM »
They've issued a STAFF COMMUNICATION, canned the moderator who appeared on Fox News (in part due to an admission of sexual assault on Facebook resurfacing) and have sent a new person to do more interviews:
My goodness, this shocks and surprises me. What an unpredictable and unexpected turn of events. I may need to sit a while.

Seriously though, why is this sort of thing so fucking predictable?

BisMarckie

« Reply #12310 on: January 27, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »

FACT CHECK: I worked hard to hide that I have logged hundreds of hours of Football Manager in my office.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #12311 on: January 27, 2022, 11:44:21 AM »
r/antiwork is back open!

they have posted a wonderful thread regarding future interviews...

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/sdwd28/statement_rantiwork/

summary:

• I know everyone hated what just happened but just so you know we've done a lot of other interviews that just haven't come out yet  :smug
  • the person who did those interviews? why it's me, a random mod who is 21, unemployed and an anarchist  :doge
  • by the way we removed doreen because of allegations of sexual abuse ???

We were about 10 mods active at the time and most of them were working more than 8 hours through the mod queue and the subreddit in general, trying to not let the subreddit get closed.

Be the mod of an anti-work sub. Put in 8 hours of unpaid work

:heyman

Edit: damn you Marrec, I got so excited that I posted without looking at the other replies

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
« Reply #12312 on: January 27, 2022, 11:46:46 AM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #12313 on: January 27, 2022, 11:52:37 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/amy-schneider-a-software-engineer-from-oakland-became-the-winningest-woman-to-appear-on-%E2%80%9Cjeopardy-%E2%80%9D-when-her-streak-ended-on-wednesday.544904/#post-81023039
Kyuuji
My eyes are welling something fierce. I have so much respect for this woman.
Unless she's playing Cyberpunk 2077.

Or likes Lindsay Ellis, Contrapoints, Harry Potter, the Guardian, BBC documentaries, Ricky Gervais, the UK in general...

SmokyDave

« Reply #12314 on: January 27, 2022, 11:56:06 AM »
If being the place Kyuuji hates the most is what gives me national pride, so be it.

:gbcry

Propagandhim

« Reply #12315 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:34 PM »
Don't be too prideful, someone like that finds a reason to be miserable no matter where they go.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #12316 on: January 27, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »
If being the place Kyuuji hates the most is what gives me national pride, so be it.

Pretty sure she’s UK based  :teehee
Margs

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12317 on: January 27, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure UK is not based.
©@©™

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12318 on: January 27, 2022, 12:14:09 PM »
I love this part of the giant antiwork post

We were about 10 mods active at the time and most of them were working more than 8 hours through the mod queue a

Edit: beaten like the gf of an internet moderator
:O

BisMarckie

« Reply #12319 on: January 27, 2022, 12:14:37 PM »

I think it's an island

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12320 on: January 27, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »
the UK? more like u gay :rodney
(ice)

Snoopycat_

« Reply #12321 on: January 27, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
Sadly the BBC still haven’t responded to my TV show pitch - Kayaking With Kyuuji. It’s a really good idea too. Each week Kyuuji paddles out to sea in search of transphobia

NekoFever

« Reply #12322 on: January 27, 2022, 12:32:06 PM »
“Winningest”?

:hhh

Crumb

• *cough*

marrec

« Reply #12325 on: January 27, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »
“Winningest”?

:hhh

Uhh, how else do you say that someone is winninger than everyone else that has done any winning?

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
« Reply #12326 on: January 27, 2022, 12:57:44 PM »
Disney needs to crackdown on these dumbfucks.
should have been left to rot on the prison island with weird fauna
Fuck, there goes my perpetual Lost rewatch crush, oh well Kate was stupid anyway
Someone challenges the Rees
This knee jerk response to cancel someone arguably annoys me more. Im fully vaccinated, and I tend to agree that everyone should be vaccinated if they can. That said, I don't think the discussion surrounding vaccine mandates is as black and white as people make it out to be. The way people fall over themselves to discard and trash people whom they perceive as having the slightest difference in opinion just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: "slightest difference in opinion" is a poor choice of words on my part. I was speaking fairly generally by that point, and obviously communicated that badly.
Anti-vaxxers = slightest different of opinion. Lets not sanitize harmful, anti-science rhetoric.
Difference of opinion being a minor thing is when someone thinks the Sopranos is a better TV show than the Wire. When someone's difference of opinion is disputing facts that result in people getting killed, they deserve the blowback. You hear the same talk when people say it's just a difference of opinion on police brutality and the like.
you think this is a "slight difference of opinion"? Being anti-mandate and showing solidarity with these dumb "Freedom Truckers"?
"Cancelling" someone for spreading deadly anti-science bullshit is just as bad as spreading deadly anti-science bullshit when you really stop to think about it.
cool

she and every single anti vaxxer are still trash thou
They really hate women.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #12327 on: January 27, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »
All those fucking dummies not realising that the new rules just prohibit them making threads for the exclusive purpose of shitting on NFTs.

You already weren't allowed to shill your own shit and nobody was doing that anyway.

So any reasoned, relevant threads about NFT/crypto are still allowed, but salty derails and threadwhining are now specifically codified in the ToS.

:itagaki

Case in point  :lol

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bored-ape-yacht-club-accused-of-using-racist-and-nazi-dogwhistles.545033/post-81033722

SmokyDave

« Reply #12328 on: January 27, 2022, 01:09:23 PM »

Pretty sure she’s UK based  :teehee
She is. She's presently getting a pummelling for presenting a perfectly valid UK viewpoint in this thread. She's absolutely right, but because she's not limiting her viewpoint to North America they're mauling her. My desire to defend her does not sit well with me, but it's definitely there.

I wonder if she'll learn anything from being steamrollered by people unwilling to consider anything other than their own perspective?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #12329 on: January 27, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »
why are american ree's shit scared of cats? :confused

unless you live next door to joe exotic thats nothing to fear you pussies :dice
(ice)

SmokyDave

« Reply #12330 on: January 27, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »
why are american ree's shit scared of cats? :confused
Make your own pussy joke up, I've just finished wiping and it's flush time.

I think it's just the norm over there, and the habitat doesn't seem like an ideal place for cats. We've had cats forever and our spaces work for 'em. Some places it's better to have 'em indoors, some outdoors, some no cats at all.

Reminds me of breastfeeding. You think something is straightforward and then later realise there are actual 'sides' and an ongoing 'conflict'. Daft.

Jansen

« Reply #12331 on: January 27, 2022, 01:13:40 PM »
should have been left to rot on the prison island with weird fauna
Fuck, there goes my perpetual Lost rewatch crush, oh well Kate was stupid anyway
Someone challenges the Rees
This knee jerk response to cancel someone arguably annoys me more. Im fully vaccinated, and I tend to agree that everyone should be vaccinated if they can. That said, I don't think the discussion surrounding vaccine mandates is as black and white as people make it out to be. The way people fall over themselves to discard and trash people whom they perceive as having the slightest difference in opinion just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: "slightest difference in opinion" is a poor choice of words on my part. I was speaking fairly generally by that point, and obviously communicated that badly.
Anti-vaxxers = slightest different of opinion. Lets not sanitize harmful, anti-science rhetoric.
Difference of opinion being a minor thing is when someone thinks the Sopranos is a better TV show than the Wire. When someone's difference of opinion is disputing facts that result in people getting killed, they deserve the blowback. You hear the same talk when people say it's just a difference of opinion on police brutality and the like.
you think this is a "slight difference of opinion"? Being anti-mandate and showing solidarity with these dumb "Freedom Truckers"?
"Cancelling" someone for spreading deadly anti-science bullshit is just as bad as spreading deadly anti-science bullshit when you really stop to think about it.
cool

she and every single anti vaxxer are still trash thou
They really hate women.

Shouldn't I respect her choice to be a dumb biatch

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #12332 on: January 27, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
Reminds me of breastfeeding.

I am also often reminded of breastfeeding
Uncle

SmokyDave

« Reply #12333 on: January 27, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »

A stroll down mammary lane.

marrec

« Reply #12334 on: January 27, 2022, 01:22:28 PM »

A stroll down mammary lane.

Getting in on the ground floor before this blows up to  "9 more people like this".

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #12335 on: January 27, 2022, 01:29:23 PM »

Pretty sure she’s not based in the slightest.

:smug

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12336 on: January 27, 2022, 01:49:04 PM »
Why do they have mods on r/antiwork.

isn't modding work?
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #12337 on: January 27, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »
that question primarily depends on whether nintex posts there or not
Uncle

Jansen

« Reply #12338 on: January 27, 2022, 02:12:25 PM »
Why do they have mods on r/antiwork.

isn't modding work?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12339 on: January 27, 2022, 02:19:14 PM »

Yes- Disney should crack down on ResetEra already.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12340 on: January 27, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
All these pro-choice, anti-vax Marvel peeps keep popping up; you hate to see it from the last bastion of liberalism in the United States.
©@©™

TacoWallace

« Reply #12341 on: January 27, 2022, 02:51:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cat-missing-for-11-years-reunited-with-owners.544976/page-3#post-81035714

Quote from: astro
Can you (not you precisely of course, staff as a rule) please crack down on people starting this up in threads by doing the lecturing "keep your cats inside"? If that didn't happen, none of the resulting arguments would.

It's really frustrating to see it happen all the time in cat threads, different areas of the world do different things and that should be okay...

Unless the staff issues warnings/bans at their command, astro is about to kill someone to prove human existence is worse than letting your cat roam outside!

jorma

« Reply #12342 on: January 27, 2022, 02:59:30 PM »
Quote from: [b]astro[/b], post: 81036920, member: 3591

It is about needlessly starting with antagonism that turns what could be a productive debate into a spitting contest.

:lol :lol :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12343 on: January 27, 2022, 03:04:33 PM »
Sadly the BBC still haven’t responded to my TV show pitch - Kayaking With Kyuuji. It’s a really good idea too. Each week Kyuuji paddles out to sea in search of transphobia
Pretty sure she'd find it too. Fucking dolphins man. Transphobes the lot of them.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #12344 on: January 27, 2022, 03:06:45 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cat-missing-for-11-years-reunited-with-owners.544976/page-3#post-81035714

Quote from: astro
Can you (not you precisely of course, staff as a rule) please crack down on people starting this up in threads by doing the lecturing "keep your cats inside"? If that didn't happen, none of the resulting arguments would.

It's really frustrating to see it happen all the time in cat threads, different areas of the world do different things and that should be okay...

Unless the staff issues warnings/bans at their command, astro is about to kill someone to prove human existence is worse than letting your cat roam outside!

I want to see someone pre-empt the insiders with just the blatantly opposite take

"listen people, remember, keep your cats outside!  they are descendants of wildcats who are used to roaming free, keeping a cat cooped up indoors is intensely stressful for the feline constitution.  they'll get exercise and fresh air and help cut down on diseases transmitted via the rodent population (an issue brought to the forefront by the preponderance of modern anti-vaxers).  cats belong free, comrades!"
Uncle

« Reply #12345 on: January 27, 2022, 03:16:40 PM »
Day 1 of the new crypto rules going over great in the quarantine thread, and blamespace finally gets removed from the thread for taking a run at the wrong admin:
Quote from: blame space
gotta love how the solution in practice seems to be "don't make threads about bored ape being a nazi organization."
Quote from: Nepenthe
Well, no. We added a stipend that says informative threads are allowed, where basically you are taught how the technology works with no proselytizing to the layman to get them to buy crypto/NFTS; basically threads were you can actually respond with more than "fuck off."

But we meant for this ban to be as wide reaching as possible. Most people on this forum don't like NFTs and staff is tired of moderating shit the brunt of the forum doesn't actually like!

Again, the main exception to the rule lays within the vain of "the wider public at large will be forced against their will to interact with NFTs in a way that is unavoidable if they want to engage in a prominent work or service." So if Google announces you will have to use NFTs to just search something, yeah, that's news worthy enough.

A quick Google search shows that the BAYC- the largest NFT group out there- has around 10,000 NFTs out there. That's literally a fifth of this forum's size. It is also unsurprising that a group of techno-libertarians are fucking Nazis. There is nothing of value to discuss here.
User Banned (1 Month)/Permanent Threadban: Trolling, history of the same
so we only out nazis when it's surprising?
Quote from: brokeastronaut
Since it's the predominant nft showcase to the point of it being on Jimmy Kimmel, I think this particular origin of the apes is fairly important to discuss and dissect.
Quote from: PeakPointMatrix
I guess we should wait until the Nazi-run NFT group gets even more popular and powerful before discussing it.
Quote from: Sheldon
Fare thee well, blame space, the most succinct, clear eyed poster in this thread.
Quote from: Minishdriveby
Damn. They did you dirty blame space.
Quote from: Nappael
Yeah, I thought I would wait and see how the new rules play out before commenting, but that BAYC thread is the exact kind of thread that should be allowed.

Before the change, the problem was basically in 2 parts: NFT Promotion being allowed, and more negative newsworthy NFT threads being closed much too quickly.

The new rules look like they have just made that second problem worse.
Quote from: Foot
Yeah, this is straight up the opposite of what was being requested.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12346 on: January 27, 2022, 03:17:35 PM »
Fuck cats. Evil little killing machines. Cats have decimated small native wildlife everywhere they've been an introduced species.
Spud

marrec

« Reply #12347 on: January 27, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
How long until the front organization/cartel that bought ERA starts actively shilling NFTs?

Jansen

« Reply #12348 on: January 27, 2022, 03:37:08 PM »
Quote from: Chille, post: 81031436, member: 37658

Because the upgrade is supposed to be for people who currently own a PS4 and get a PS5 in the future, it's not supposed to be for people who own a PS5 already. I own a PS5 so I'm not gonna abuse the system.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/horizon-forbidden-west-ps4-pro-footage.544874/page-5#post-81031436

marrec

« Reply #12349 on: January 27, 2022, 03:40:11 PM »
Fuck cats.

I didn't know Andrew Lloyd Webber posted on TheBire

BisMarckie

« Reply #12350 on: January 27, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »
I will make serious bank shilling my indoor, of course, cats NFTs on era

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #12351 on: January 27, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
Neo-Feline Tokens
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #12352 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:42 PM »
Day 1 of the new crypto rules going over great in the quarantine thread, and blamespace finally gets removed from the thread for taking a run at the wrong admin:
gotta love how the solution in practice seems to be "don't make threads about bored ape being a nazi organization."
Quote from: Nepenthe
Well, no. We added a stipend that says informative threads are allowed, where basically you are taught how the technology works with no proselytizing to the layman to get them to buy crypto/NFTS; basically threads were you can actually respond with more than "fuck off."

But we meant for this ban to be as wide reaching as possible. Most people on this forum don't like NFTs and staff is tired of moderating shit the brunt of the forum doesn't actually like!

Again, the main exception to the rule lays within the vain of "the wider public at large will be forced against their will to interact with NFTs in a way that is unavoidable if they want to engage in a prominent work or service." So if Google announces you will have to use NFTs to just search something, yeah, that's news worthy enough.

A quick Google search shows that the BAYC- the largest NFT group out there- has around 10,000 NFTs out there. That's literally a fifth of this forum's size. It is also unsurprising that a group of techno-libertarians are fucking Nazis. There is nothing of value to discuss here.
User Banned (1 Month)/Permanent Threadban: Trolling, history of the same
so we only out nazis when it's surprising?
Quote from: brokeastronaut
Since it's the predominant nft showcase to the point of it being on Jimmy Kimmel, I think this particular origin of the apes is fairly important to discuss and dissect.
Quote from: PeakPointMatrix
I guess we should wait until the Nazi-run NFT group gets even more popular and powerful before discussing it.
Quote from: Sheldon
Fare thee well, blame space, the most succinct, clear eyed poster in this thread.
Quote from: Minishdriveby
Damn. They did you dirty blame space.
Quote from: Nappael
Yeah, I thought I would wait and see how the new rules play out before commenting, but that BAYC thread is the exact kind of thread that should be allowed.

Before the change, the problem was basically in 2 parts: NFT Promotion being allowed, and more negative newsworthy NFT threads being closed much too quickly.

The new rules look like they have just made that second problem worse.
Quote from: Foot
Yeah, this is straight up the opposite of what was being requested.

I can only repeat: Why are they so bad at this?

People here saw this coming from a mile away and these idiots spend like a month deliberating  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12353 on: January 27, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
evilore and amirox  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12354 on: January 27, 2022, 05:33:07 PM »
Fuck cats. Evil little killing machines. Cats have decimated small native wildlife everywhere they've been an introduced species.

Hmm hmm

:society

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12355 on: January 27, 2022, 05:35:24 PM »

Hmm hmm

:society
Your point?
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #12356 on: January 27, 2022, 05:41:26 PM »
This antiwork moderator is a perfect cross between between Evilore and Rumbler

(Image removed from quote.)

Imagine posting this publicly and then going on Fox News  :doge
Maybe people lacking social skills who are prone to holding extreme political ideologies are also prone to extreme personal behaviour too?
 :ohhh

Maybe those same people are not really suited to setting the behavioural standards for online (or other) communities?
 :neo

Maybe those people shouldn't go on Fox News (or any other media) to represent more than 1.7 million people?
 :mindblown

Spud

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #12358 on: January 27, 2022, 05:46:13 PM »

:nope useful work
 :ohyeah petty politics

benjipwns

« Reply #12359 on: January 27, 2022, 05:58:20 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bored-ape-yacht-club-accused-of-using-racist-and-nazi-dogwhistles.545033/post-81033722
Once I learned that the word "privatization" entered the English language to describe the economic policy of the Nazis, the world started to make way more sense.
The Economist magazine introduced the term privatisation (alternatively privatisation or reprivatisation after the German Reprivatisierung) during the 1930s when it covered Nazi Germany's economic policy.[5][6] It is not clear if the magazine coincidentally invented the word in English or if the term is a loanword from the same expression in German, where it has been in use since the 19th century.[7]
It is difficult to be certain why the terms of “privatization” and “reprivatization” emerged from the discussion of German economic policy in the 1930s and 1940s. In February 1934, in a newspaper article in the Der Deutsche Volkswirt called “Zur Neugestaltung des deutschen Nahverkehrs” (“On the New Organization of the German Urban Transportation”; all translations are the author’s), the German word “Reprivatisierung” appears, which translates as “reprivatization.” In that article, Heinz Marschner (1934, p. 587) wrote: “The following essay makes an interesting proposal: the reprivatization of urban transportation, which after the period of inflation came under public control, especially in the hands of local governments.” This text comments on the German National Socialist (Nazi) government’s position that the ownership of urban transportation should be returned to the private sector. Several months later, Hans Baumgarten (1934) used “Reprivatisierung” in his article on banking policy in Germany (p. 1645): “Once there have been established the crucial factors that must be met in order to proceed with future reprivatization and future distribution of dividends, it has to be added that, after all, reprivatization also depends on the possibility itself of distributing dividends.” Der Deustche Volkswirt devoted its editorial page to Umschau: Reprivatisierung (“Survey: Reprivatization”) in the issue published in April 9, 1936 (volume 10, number 28). The German government had sold shares of public enterprises to private buyers during the previous weeks, and this editorial discussed expectations those sales had created among interested parties about the likelihood of a wider scale privatization policy. The editorial page of Der Deutsche Volkswirt was considered at that time to be a press organ for Hjalmar Schacht, who Adolf Hitler had earlier appointed head of the Reichsbank and then appointed Minister of Economy.

The correspondent of The Economist in Germany in his column of April 18, 1936 (CXXIII, 4834, p. 127) commented on the editorial page article in Der Deutsche Volkswirt: “The question of the sale by the Reich of industrial and bank participations, acquired since the 1931 crisis, is discussed in Dr. Schacht’s press organ.” This issue of The Economist did not include the word “reprivatization.” But several months later, the following sentence appeared in the August 1, 1936, number of The Economist (CXXIV, 4849, p. 220): “‘Re-privatisation,’ as it is called, has, however, been under way in the cases of all three banks. Some 40 per cent of the G.D. Bank’s holding of Deutsche-Disconto shares had passed back into private hands by the end of 1935. The new advance of bank shares to above par ought to smooth the way for complete ‘re-privatisation.’” This may well be the first recorded use of the term “reprivatization” in the English language. Later, in The Economist, the April 3, 1937, issue (CXXVII, 4884, p. 16), the correspondent in Germany wrote: “The DeutscheDisconto Bank announces that it is now fully ‘reprivatised.’ The D.D. Bank’s reprivatisation was in part financed by sale to the Reich of the former Disconto Bank’s central offices. The reprivatisation of the Commerz- und Privat Bank is not yet complete. . . . The Finance Ministry’s holding has been reprivatised.” Thus, “reprivatization” appears to have come into English on the heels of the invention of the German term “Reprivatisierung.” This apparently happened in the case of the The Economist articles mentioned above. Sweezy used a variety of German journals, periodicals and newspapers (1941, pp. 245–6) and Singer (1942) used only German journals and periodicals as sources. Der Deutsche Volkswirt was among these sources, so they too may well have imported the German term into English
:doge
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 06:03:17 PM by benjipwns »