Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 152265 times)

Himu

Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1380 on: October 14, 2022, 09:01:23 PM »
BAHAHAHA
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1381 on: October 14, 2022, 09:40:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/damiengayle/status/1580864210741133312
This video ended before the part I wanted to know about, how they thought that "glue" was going to somehow affix them to the wall so they couldn't be easily removed.

twitter.com/SarafromMI/status/1581002787617284097

:info
Lots of heirs spend their money on these weird guilt activism things.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1382 on: October 15, 2022, 02:13:58 AM »
I just remembered that all these art pieces have a protective covering.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1383 on: October 15, 2022, 02:34:10 AM »
"The pair appeared to glue themselves to the wall adjacent to Van Gogh's Sunflowers (1888)"

Not slick Van Gogh, not slick at all.

benjipwns

« Reply #1384 on: October 15, 2022, 02:38:22 AM »

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1386 on: October 15, 2022, 04:43:46 AM »
I just remembered that all these art pieces have a protective covering.
That's like saying it doesn't matter if you crash into another driver because he's wearing seatbelts.

Destroying art and culture is what tyrants and terrorists do. Like Nazis', ISIS and Russia in Ukraine.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1388 on: October 15, 2022, 10:24:41 AM »
Sometimes you stumble onto conflicts you didn't even know were conflicts

https://twitter.com/doctora_nature/status/1545475748999430145

Himu

« Reply #1389 on: October 15, 2022, 12:14:41 PM »
I'll be sure to buy my off the counter scorpion poison on my way home!
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1390 on: October 15, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »
I get being suspicious of Big Pharma but the alt medicine scene seems bat shit insane so :yeshrug
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #1391 on: October 15, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
My favorite was a comment about how the new Scooby Doo will have bad writing.

Motherfuckers think Scooby Doo, which copy and pasted the script 100 times is good writing.

The gang arrives at spooky house. Spooky ghost appears. Gang runs around, falls through trap doors, extended scene of them running with the background repeating 12 times. At the end they discover that it was the groundskeeper Old Man Willy, who was behind it all along.

Their minds are so tiny they didnt pick up on every episode being the same.

Makes sense when you realize the only thing in their pitch was lesbian Velma, black Shaggy. That's it, that's all that matters. Because reviving IPs solely by changing genders or sexuality is the marketing goal. That show got so much free publicity this weekend, vs the crickets you'd hear for a standard Scooby remake with some adult themes but the same races/sexuality. This is why I don't get being mad about it, beyond the laziness. But even being mad about that is weird and goes back to the "this is for children, you idiot" point I made earlier.

The thing is, the 39 other scooby doo revivals didnt do anything special, or when they did, they amde things worse (ex, scrappy doo)

FACT CHECK: One of them DID do something special. 2011's Mystery Inc was 52 episodes of monster-of-the-week but mixed with sharp writing, dramatic stakes, and a serialized storyline. Also had a killer art style and something of a budget.

It was by far the best Scooby media ever put to the screen, with Zombie Isle trailing a distant second.

More of that, please.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:10:50 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #1392 on: October 15, 2022, 02:16:58 PM »
Oh man, I hadn't seen this from that guy, amazing account:
https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/1572632908115886080

Conversely, if we sent them Yu-Gi-Oh cards they'd be fighting the war with card games on motorcycles fighter jets and that sounds rad as hell.

What's the Geneva Convention rule on sending someone to the Shadow Realm? Seems less extreme than bombing or torture.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1393 on: October 16, 2022, 07:44:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/FendeVilliers/status/1580877593154228224

The terrorists have already been released on bail.
🤴

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1396 on: October 16, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »

benjipwns

benjipwns

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1399 on: October 16, 2022, 06:40:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/harls22sky/status/1581426665606873089

:doge

https://twitter.com/harls22sky/status/1581672108114878464

Kinda proves what we've been saying. Got nothing to do with making original compelling characters or good content, and everything to do with using an existing platform to elevate social movements/messages deemed important. And this is largely a product of this stuff being consumed by too many grown adults obsessed with dictating the direction of kid shit.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1400 on: October 16, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
why would you want to engineer a situation that makes trans people look mentally deranged, to the point of getting into a clearly abusive relationship with the joker, but which would also then imply that joker is trans positive and batman would have his motives questioned for assaulting the two of them

imagine suddenly having everyone come out of the woodwork to say "harley has been clearly written differently in her new stories since becoming trans, she's no longer as sympathetic, we see you and your bigotry"
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2022, 07:01:31 AM »
Why does anyone actually give a fuck what some dumbass 19 year old thinks?
she doesn't work at DC, she's not a comics professional, or really has any influence outside of this shitty tweet which is getting ratio'd anyway.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2022, 07:27:01 AM »
tbf this seems to be a single autist obsessed with and wanting a character to be just like them, rather than a serious movement demanding the change :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1404 on: October 17, 2022, 06:21:47 PM »
Curious that Himu and the Russian PM are reading off the same talking points
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1405 on: October 17, 2022, 06:35:07 PM »
Ukrainian children are are taught to be killers by NATO with these so called 'video games' called Fortnite partially funded by the Chinese who cannot be trusted.
Just look at the shit tires they sold us for our... I mean their trucks. It is no coincidence that Hunter Biden has made many deals with the Chinese to undermine Russia.
Vladimir Vladimirovich is aware of this but of course for appearances and the sake of friendship with the Chinese we must accept these transgressions.

Furthermore they have a show called She-Hulk which is preparing their underdeveloped minds for new Nuremberg trials aimed at innocent Russian decision makers for 'so called' war crimes.
This is an outrage, wasn't it a war crime when Reagan invaded Grenada or Bush invaded Iraq? Where was the UN then? These are their typical double standards.
Finally they have a show called House of the Dragon, which really shows the rotten core of the fascist West with the worst degeneracy such as abortion, incest, gay sex, murder
and perpetual war that only the sick and twisted so called Globalists can find entertaining.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1406 on: October 17, 2022, 06:37:54 PM »
FACT CHECK: Himu doesn't listen to foreigners. :ufup

james

« Reply #1407 on: October 17, 2022, 06:40:45 PM »
FACT CHECK: Himu doesn't listen to foreigners. :ufup

Fact Check: Himu was killed in a subway accident in 2018 and the account username and password was sold on the black market to a russian troll farm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1408 on: October 18, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1582430276420243456

Wonder if the usual twitter types will attack Moore for dismissing a black woman's vision.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #1409 on: October 18, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »
Did he ever comment on Before Watchmen or Doom Cock or the '09 film?

Cause honey, DC's been milking your shit for years. And honestly, Lindelof's show isn't even close to the worst of the bunch.

Himu

« Reply #1410 on: October 18, 2022, 04:52:59 PM »

Nah, I don't think we need to go to war with it. South Park is cool. I'd appreciate keeping my name out of your mouth and posts. I find it incredibly weird and insecure how you randomly bring me up when I'm not even posting or even the topic at hand.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1411 on: October 18, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/harls22sky/status/1581426665606873089

:doge

https://twitter.com/harls22sky/status/1581672108114878464

Kinda proves what we've been saying. Got nothing to do with making original compelling characters or good content, and everything to do with using an existing platform to elevate social movements/messages deemed important. And this is largely a product of this stuff being consumed by too many grown adults obsessed with dictating the direction of kid shit.

Fucking told you.
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #1412 on: October 18, 2022, 05:04:49 PM »
Moore getting a message prefaced with weird self flagellation likely prompted an extra annoyed response.

Doomsday Clock, he’s called Johns something like a raccoon rummaging through his trash before. Wouldn’t put it past Johns to have made Doomsday Clock, and continuing to use Watchmen characters, as extreme pettiness and spite. That’s his thing.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1413 on: October 18, 2022, 05:12:03 PM »
Did he ever comment on Before Watchmen or Doom Cock or the '09 film?.

Moore can say what he wants but it was about time Doctor Manhattan's dick got his own book

james

« Reply #1414 on: October 18, 2022, 06:28:20 PM »

Nah, I don't think we need to go to war with it. South Park is cool. I'd appreciate keeping my name out of your mouth and posts. I find it incredibly weird and insecure how you randomly bring me up when I'm not even posting or even the topic at hand.

Next time I have dirty dirty anal sex I am going to call my partner Himu and ask them to shout typical arabic food names like hummus and baba ganoush

Himu

« Reply #1415 on: October 18, 2022, 07:20:59 PM »
Don't forget biryani.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1416 on: October 18, 2022, 09:02:22 PM »

Cause honey, DC's been milking your shit for years. And honestly, Lindelof's show isn't even close to the worst of the bunch.
Don't let him see that shit, it'll kill him.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1417 on: October 18, 2022, 09:16:28 PM »

He's been shitting on all of it. Not because he hates the stories but because it's not...his. Which I understand and respect. He told a pretty straight forward story with a clear ending. That was supposed to be it. The same way we wouldn't expect multiple sequels to Moby Dick, an Ishmael prequel, etc.

benjipwns

« Reply #1418 on: October 18, 2022, 09:51:23 PM »
Moore actually had reasonable criticism about people not reading his works and didn't believe he should have ownership over adaptions or sequels back in the 1980's and 1990's. Then nobody listened to him no matter how many times they asked or how many times they said they wanted his advice on those things so he decided he wasn't even going to bother. People doing adaptions like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V For Vendetta said stuff like they were being true to the work and going out of their way to ask Moore's advice, then they just ignored him, never shared anything with him and changed whatever they wanted so he said fuck it. Then the media has spent decades going back to him because they know he's going to trash them.

I think Gibbons suggested that if Moore had actually been willing to talk to Snyder he might have been positive (for him) about Watchmen, not because it'd necessarily be good but because Snyder is a big fanboy who would have listened to and discussed things with Moore. (This does not apply to the stuff DC has done with Watchmen.)

IIRC, one of the things was whether or not they should change when the movie takes place to be more current, Snyder defaulted to not changing it because he couldn't get Moore's opinion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:08:17 PM by benjipwns »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1419 on: October 18, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »

He's been shitting on all of it. Not because he hates the stories but because it's not...his. Which I understand and respect. He told a pretty straight forward story with a clear ending. That was supposed to be it. The same way we wouldn't expect multiple sequels to Moby Dick, an Ishmael prequel, etc.

Didn't he pretty much disown Watchmen after the film came out?  I recall him vehemently hating on it- did he even watch it?
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #1420 on: October 18, 2022, 10:25:50 PM »
Emma Corrin: Princess Diana was 'so queer' in 'many ways'

The 26-year-old star - who came out as queer last year and later revealed they are non-binary and use gender neutral pronouns -is best known for portraying the late royal in season four of 'The Crown', a part also taken on by bisexual actress Kristen Stewart in 'Spencer'.

Emma declared: "In many ways Diana was so queer."

Emma believes Diana - who had sons Princes William and Harry with ex-husband King Charles - was the definite "other" within the royal family and always embraced "outsiders".
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Meanwhile, the 'My Policeman' star reflected on how they felt like they were "being born" when embarking on their first queer relationship.

They told the Sunday Times Style magazine: "[It felt] like being born a bit. Opening my eyes to this whole other way of life that felt so right. And so beautiful. And in quite a terrifying way it called into question everything I’d been assuming about myself and about the way I loved people before and how I felt.”

Emma thinks people are "normally quite good" about referring to them using the right pronouns, but admitted it matters less with people they know well because it is about "feeling seen".
:popular
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #1421 on: October 18, 2022, 10:27:30 PM »
Didn't he pretty much disown Watchmen after the film came out?  I recall him vehemently hating on it- did he even watch it?
No, Moore does not watch film adaptions of his work.

He wasn't too bad about Watchmen, he mostly just thought it was dumb to try to adapt as a movie, if you want to see him actually vehemently hating an adaption read what he says about the Wachowski's butchering V For Vendetta. He despised what they did to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen so much he refused to talk about it even to bash it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1422 on: October 18, 2022, 10:32:02 PM »

:goty2

what is wrong with these people man. Be a fucking man.
[close]

Polident Hive

« Reply #1423 on: October 18, 2022, 10:34:08 PM »
Moore actually had reasonable criticism about people not reading his works and didn't believe he should have ownership over adaptions or sequels back in the 1980's and 1990's. Then nobody listened to him no matter how many times they asked or how many times they said they wanted his advice on those things so he decided he wasn't even going to bother. People doing adaptions like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V For Vendetta said stuff like they were being true to the work and going out of their way to ask Moore's advice, then they just ignored him, never shared anything with him and changed whatever they wanted so he said fuck it. Then the media has spent decades going back to him because they know he's going to trash them.

I think Gibbons suggested that if Moore had actually been willing to talk to Snyder he might have been positive (for him) about Watchmen, not because it'd necessarily be good but because Snyder is a big fanboy who would have listened to and discussed things with Moore. (This does not apply to the stuff DC has done with Watchmen.)

IIRC, one of the things was whether or not they should change when the movie takes place to be more current, Snyder defaulted to not changing it because he couldn't get Moore's opinion.

Moore came shockingly close to praising David Hayter’s script. That’s sometime before the movie was ever realized. Could be somebody told him about Terry Gilliam’s Watchmen to make Hayter’s palatable.

Crazy how Tom Cruise as Ozymandias was a possibility. Thinking he hadn’t down the Oprah shit yet. At that stage he was actively rebranding into a lighter four quadrants actor again. Would’ve been amazing.

benjipwns

« Reply #1424 on: October 18, 2022, 10:38:07 PM »
I think Moore mostly gets upset because people always miss the point of his work no matter how blatant it is and for some reason he keeps expecting this to change at some point. :lol

It's not a film adaption but one of his real triggers is people getting offended by Neonomicon.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1425 on: October 18, 2022, 10:44:26 PM »
Rorschach and the Comedian might be the first "he just like me" characters where the author made it pressingly clear that no, these guys aren't cool...they're fucking psychopaths what is your problem god dammit. 

benjipwns

« Reply #1426 on: October 18, 2022, 10:51:54 PM »
It's the same thing with V, both of the main characters in V For Vendetta are not supposed to be heroes but two sides of the same coin. It's not just a commentary on Thatcher.

edit: How could I forget? Guy Fawkes wanted to restore the power of the Catholic Church in England. :lol
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:57:41 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #1427 on: October 18, 2022, 10:53:11 PM »
It's the same thing with V, both of the main characters in V For Vendetta are not supposed to be heroes but two sides of the same coin. It's not just a commentary on Thatcher.
"BOTH SIDES" :social

Himu

« Reply #1428 on: October 18, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
V for Vendetta comic is so good and I need to re-read it. Bless Moore. Also, I've never been but on Watchmen. I preferred Moore's other works more.
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #1429 on: October 19, 2022, 07:51:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/JortsTheCat/status/1582252627143708673

Barely hanging trying to understand this whole situation. Some lady uses a grocery delivery service to make a point about… men unable to buy groceries? She drives to the grocery to check on the guy to complain? It leads to the simple question of why not go to the grocery in the first place. That lead to a deluge of weirdos calling the question ableist. Some about how we’re in the middle of a pandemic. Then there’s another pocket discourse on exploiting sub-minimum wage workers. I don’t know anymore.

benjipwns

« Reply #1430 on: October 19, 2022, 09:55:44 PM »
Literally went to the store anyway just to spy on the dude. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #1431 on: October 19, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
Emma Corrin: Princess Diana was 'so queer' in 'many ways'

The 26-year-old star - who came out as queer last year and later revealed they are non-binary and use gender neutral pronouns -is best known for portraying the late royal in season four of 'The Crown', a part also taken on by bisexual actress Kristen Stewart in 'Spencer'.

Emma declared: "In many ways Diana was so queer."

Emma believes Diana - who had sons Princes William and Harry with ex-husband King Charles - was the definite "other" within the royal family and always embraced "outsiders".
Meanwhile, the 'My Policeman' star reflected on how they felt like they were "being born" when embarking on their first queer relationship.

They told the Sunday Times Style magazine: "[It felt] like being born a bit. Opening my eyes to this whole other way of life that felt so right. And so beautiful. And in quite a terrifying way it called into question everything I’d been assuming about myself and about the way I loved people before and how I felt.”

Emma thinks people are "normally quite good" about referring to them using the right pronouns, but admitted it matters less with people they know well because it is about "feeling seen".
:popular
[close]

:dead

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1432 on: October 20, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
Delighted to be confirmed as a POC blud :rejoice
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1433 on: October 20, 2022, 08:01:56 AM »
Person of colonialism?
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1435 on: October 20, 2022, 03:31:56 PM »
Yo that h3 guy is 37? :kobeyuck

He looks like fuckin Burt Young in the sopranos
(ice)

james

benjipwns

« Reply #1437 on: October 20, 2022, 07:26:13 PM »
Yo that h3 guy is 37? :kobeyuck
This is what changing your entire personality to avoid ever "punching down" with a joke again does to you.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1438 on: October 20, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
diversity, inclusion and ,metal health are now firmly corporate buzzwords, enjoy being a bootlicker friend :rash :social2
[close]
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1439 on: October 20, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »
Person of colonialism?

Person of caucasianism.