Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 149630 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1860 on: December 14, 2022, 05:14:59 PM »
White is what?
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1861 on: December 14, 2022, 06:35:47 PM »
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1862 on: December 14, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1864 on: December 16, 2022, 06:09:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1603874512214319132

If all you can find on the internet are Nazi's maybe the problem is you and not the platforms Maggie :idont
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1865 on: December 16, 2022, 06:26:51 PM »
You'd think Senators would know better than to put their names on stupid letters.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1866 on: December 16, 2022, 06:39:30 PM »
A better question is what Maggie is doing to fight Nazi's on Steam.
I've done my fair bit of Nazi killing but I bet she hasn't even played COD2.
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1867 on: December 17, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
I'll let someone else post the links but the knives are out for Henry Cavill. Sources claiming the real reason he left was because he couldn't work with women (including the showrunner) telling him what to do lol. Throwing in some random shots on him liking "young" women - you know, adult 19 year old women.  :lol

It seems obvious they know their show(s) is about to bomb and be cancelled so it's time for the blame game. Netflix doesn't play around with axing shows, and now that they've got some new hit shows I doubt they're going to renew the Witcher prequel of the main series after the seasons that are currently being developed.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1868 on: December 17, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »
Would explain why the rock wanted him out then.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1869 on: December 17, 2022, 02:24:01 PM »

Henry Cavill listens to a noob who hasn't played any of the games but wants to direct the show and put in her 'female empowerment' mary sue soy spin-off story

Women when Cavill ignores them and leaves the show to play the next-gen Witcher 3 update instead.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 02:30:06 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1870 on: December 17, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
My respect for Cavill just skyrocketed
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1871 on: December 17, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »
It WaS tOxIc BeCaUsE hE iGnOrEd Us  :six:
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1872 on: December 17, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Someone explain to them that he wasn't ignoring them because they were women, he was ignoring them because they were fucking stupid and he was saving the show from a disaster of their making.
Spud

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1873 on: December 17, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
So Cavill decided he didn't want any shirtless scenes. He didn't want to be objectified...and that's a problem now huh  :doge

Boredfrom

« Reply #1874 on: December 17, 2022, 03:43:57 PM »
Someone explain to them that he wasn't ignoring them because they were women, he was ignoring them because they were fucking stupid and he was saving the show from a disaster of their making.

Sounds more complicated than that, being fair. It sounds he is difficult to work with regardless. But the disdain of the showrunners to video games kind of shows  in that paragraph.

:idont

No wonder Gunn decided it was not worth the time given how awful the backstabbing and pettines already is at DC/Warner.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1875 on: December 17, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »
The person who spread this on twitter is an embarassingly hardcore witcher show fan (but only the show) so basically someone who is just mad that Cavill leaving has put the future of the show into jeopardy. I'm not buying a single word from that story.

"He got addicted to gaming. Gamer lingo"  :doge

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1876 on: December 17, 2022, 04:33:45 PM »
Cavill was out on set dropping the n word with a hard R willy nilly :tocry
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #1877 on: December 17, 2022, 04:47:32 PM »
"He was deeply addicted to video games... Video game bro language is not how you talk to coworkers. And he wouldn't stop... Like, his whole personality shifted."

:dead

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1878 on: December 17, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »
I heard that while on set Henry Cavill was also caught reading manga; in another instance, he was overheard talking to a disgusting gamer PA about favorite Counter-Strike maps.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1879 on: December 17, 2022, 06:17:05 PM »
True. Henry also said he uses sprays of naked cartoon ladies to distract other players. Once on de_dust2, he initiated a knife fight, but lied and shot the the other player.

jorma

« Reply #1880 on: December 17, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
True. Henry also said he uses sprays of naked cartoon ladies to distract other players. Once on de_dust2, he initiated a knife fight, but lied and shot the the other player.

pretty sure your mixing up henry with harrison here...

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1881 on: December 18, 2022, 03:19:48 PM »
"He was deeply addicted to video games... Video game bro language is not how you talk to coworkers. And he wouldn't stop... Like, his whole personality shifted."

:dead

I guess this is why the season 3 arc was going to be about contracting ligma

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1882 on: December 18, 2022, 03:59:19 PM »
i too like to use gamer lingo irl

stfu or i'll get the quad and rail you
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

« Reply #1883 on: December 19, 2022, 01:59:49 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1884 on: December 19, 2022, 12:23:11 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1886 on: December 19, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
a fruit selection only enabled by an unholy combination of capitalism and global warming
Uncle

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1887 on: December 19, 2022, 03:08:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1604875335698636801

Long and somewhat rambling thread but nonetheless an interesting look at the interracial fantasies a lot of intersectional black feminists push. These are people who hate (straight) black men, are obsessed with slave-play fantasies and long for a white boyfriend they can craft into the perfectly obedient ally. And these are the people flooding into academia and ready to discriminate against black boys...

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1888 on: December 19, 2022, 03:42:53 PM »
Tried reading that tweet thread.

I have no fucking idea what any of those words mean.

God I hate Twatter people.
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #1889 on: December 19, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
Not dismissing the racial component out of apathy as much as lacking perspective, but scrolling past the tweets he uses an example from White Lotus. Recycling the old nerd vs jock thing as old as time. That’s been the fantasy forever. Molly Ringwald’s whole career hinges on it.

If I had to speak to the racial part, simply from observations in media. It’s easier to find five or ten examples of a black woman with a white man rather than a black man with a white woman. What can be said about that, who knows.

benjipwns

« Reply #1890 on: December 19, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »
The Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative (EHLI) is a multi-phase, multi-year project to address harmful language in IT at Stanford. EHLI is one of the actions prioritized in the Statement of Solidarity and Commitment to Action, which was published by the Stanford CIO Council (CIOC) and People of Color in Technology (POC-IT) affinity group in December 2020.

The goal of the Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative is to eliminate* many forms of harmful language, including racist, violent, and biased (e.g., disability bias, ethnic bias, ethnic slurs, gender bias, implicit bias, sexual bias) language in Stanford websites and code.

The purpose of this website is to educate people about the possible impact of the words we use. Language affects different people in different ways. We are not attempting to assign levels of harm to the terms on this site. We also are not attempting to address all informal uses of language.

This website focuses on potentially harmful terms used in the United States, starting with a list of everyday language and terminology.** Our "suggested alternatives" are in line with those used by peer institutions and within the technology community.***

Content Warning: This website contains language that is offensive or harmful. Please engage with this website at your own pace.

* We understand that it may not be possible to eliminate all harmful language on our sites and in our code due to costs, resources, or other reasons. “Eliminate” is a goal to strive for even if it can’t be achieved.

** How a person wishes to be addressed or identified supersedes any of our suggested alternatives for potentially harmful terms. If you are unsure in a given situation, ask the person with whom you are interacting.

*** These are a list of our sources:
Brandeis Suggested Language List
Terminology at XSEDE
Trans Glossary 101
The Colors of Cybersecurity
Offensive/Profane Word List
List of ethnic slurs (Wikipedia)
Inclusive Language Guide
Lots of problematic stuff is missing from these tables. :rage

:social2

What if I'm submitting for sex purposes? THIS SOUNDS LIKE KINK SHAMING STANFORD! :social
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:00:47 PM by benjipwns »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1891 on: December 19, 2022, 11:23:06 PM »
I'm not a pimp, i'm an employer in the sex-work industry.

:pimp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1892 on: December 20, 2022, 08:59:07 AM »

citation needed

preferably footage of the germans shouting hip hip hurray as they hunt down the jews with benny hill music in the background.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1893 on: December 20, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
A quick search shows that while some make this claim the overall origin of the phrase remains disputed. Pretty dumb of an academic institute like Stanford to declare this a definitive fact.

It's also this weird modern leftist thinking. As if anti-Semitism is fought in any shape at all if we stop saying a phrase that absolutely no one would connect with anti-Semitic feelings when you hear it on the street
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 09:43:13 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1894 on: December 20, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »
doing a compulsory online course at work thats all woke shite :judgement
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1895 on: December 20, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »
It's also this weird modern leftist thinking. As if anti-Semitism is fought in any shape at all if we stop saying a phrase that absolutely no one would connect with anti-Semitic feelings when you hear it on the street

Words don't change. Now have these Stanford people explain the word woman or female to me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1896 on: December 20, 2022, 02:04:13 PM »
Those things always have the most ridiculous lengths.

"Expected time for completion:60 minutes."

That sounds like a challenge to me. Let's see if I can do it in 10.

I always skip to the end and just guess the answers.
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1897 on: December 20, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1898 on: December 20, 2022, 02:44:12 PM »

I always skip to the end and just guess the answers.
You're meant to think about those things as you read them.

I enjoy this stuff the most when there's an actual coach or person in the room you can drive up the wall with silly questions and metaphors.
My strategy is always the same. First I lean in being the most interested(I can fake this pretty well) of the group and I tell others who say "Bullshit" from the start to be more open minded.  :heart
I'm also very interested in the books they're trying to peddle or whatever. Next I do an anime betrayal U-turn and question everything at every turn.  :awesome

They hate this because it makes them lose control of the group and the narrative. :lol

"Wow Nintex, that was the perfect example of how to deliver feedback without offending anyone thank you for sharing it with us"  :uguu
"Yeah, shame it doesn't actually work that way in real life right?" :trumps
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1899 on: December 20, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
Punk band changes name to avoid offending anyone...lol!!!!!!

https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/music/slaves-announce-return-music-change-name-soft-play-3364624

Slaves have confirmed their long-awaited return to music and announced that they will be going by a new name, Soft Play, from now on.

Around the release of their debut album ‘Are You Satisfied?’ in 2015, the band drew criticism for its name, with some calling it racially insensitive. At the time, the pair defended the moniker to NME, with Vincent saying: “If you pick up an Oxford dictionary and look up the word “slaves”, there is no mention of any racial context.

“In this day and age we believe it is very important that people change and make improvements no matter how far down the line they are. The name doesn’t represent who we are as people or what our music stands for any longer. We want to sincerely apologise to anyone we’ve offended.”

Some trash Murdoch paper managed to dig up a juicy quote from an old interview.

In 2015, the band were featured in a Fader article titled “Why Would A Band Of White Dudes Name Themselves Slaves?”

At the time, Vincent told Fader that he and Holman were surprised by criticism of the band’s name. He explained that they were looking for “an abrasive sounding word, like Clash” when they were tying to come up with a name.

“We just liked the word. We weren’t trying to provoke,” he added.

“Someone once wrote on our Facebook wall, ‘Nobody but African-Americans have a right to use the word slaves.’

“Obviously, lots of words have two meanings — if you said ‘I feel like a slave at work’ or ‘I’m a slave to the routine’, that’s not being disrespectful to the slave trade.

“You have to use words, or you‘re just going to be scared of everything. We live in a society already where people are terrified of the way they act being interpreted, and it’s just getting harder.”
Spud

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1900 on: December 20, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
We live in a society already where people are terrified of the way they act being interpreted, and it’s just getting harder.

:society
Margs

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1901 on: December 20, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »
Go anti woke, go straight to jail

Cindy Tappe, 57, allegedly diverted $3.5 million intended for women- and minority-owned businesses and for other programs into bank accounts held by two shell companies she created and then used the money to pay personal and luxury expenses, including renovations to her Westport, Connecticut, home, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.

Moreover, Tappe used the High Galaxy and PCM accounts to steal at least $660,000, by using that money to pay her personal expenses, according to the indictment. She used the accounts to pay for home renovations -- including a new $80,000 swimming pool -- and her ordinary living expenses, the indictment said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/former-new-york-university-finance-director-charged-orchestrating/story?id=95546596
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1902 on: December 20, 2022, 07:04:29 PM »
We arrest folks for accounting errors now? Smh
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1903 on: December 20, 2022, 08:00:34 PM »
money earmarking for women-owned businesses

woman establishes a company and claims the money

not seeing the problem here?
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1904 on: December 20, 2022, 08:06:42 PM »

:crazy

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1905 on: December 20, 2022, 11:26:07 PM »
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1906 on: December 21, 2022, 01:13:58 PM »

I used to think this but then I found out how a lot of people actually do with online stuff, those long time limits are necessary or most people won't finish. The ease of the task is pretty irrelevant to this too.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1907 on: December 21, 2022, 01:18:57 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1910 on: December 21, 2022, 03:45:09 PM »
French isn't a race, dummy.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1911 on: December 21, 2022, 04:52:08 PM »
But its a white European country and we all know white Euros have no culture :social2
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1912 on: December 21, 2022, 05:51:52 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1913 on: December 21, 2022, 06:00:04 PM »
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1914 on: December 22, 2022, 08:40:19 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/b5BOQ4Z

starting a violent revolution totally won't put plenty more people in therapy, nah

actual psychologists back up this rhetoric, the cure to what ails you is literally murder

cool cool totally normal

...isn't this what advocacy of revolution is all about though? "if society was very different I'd have a lot more cool stuff and less stress, it's the man keepin' me down?"
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1915 on: December 22, 2022, 11:17:11 AM »

:elon
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1916 on: December 22, 2022, 02:00:26 PM »
A huge part of the problem is these idiots who can't separate the profession from their personal. "Journalists" who think their job is activism, "therapists" who think they are recruiters for revolutionary movements...YOU. ARE. THE. PROBLEM!
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1917 on: December 22, 2022, 06:18:35 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Wait until this guy finds out that eight people don't even have half the U.S.'s wealth let alone the entire planet's and I'm sure he'll change his mind.

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1919 on: December 24, 2022, 05:11:20 PM »
🤴