Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 149627 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #2940 on: April 19, 2023, 06:24:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/1647693353671090180

like, in person through a monologue, or are we including writing that some of these people may have done on the Simpsons  ???
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2941 on: April 19, 2023, 10:00:56 PM »
The Simpsons? That woke crap where all the "classic jokes" are just internet memes word for word?

Polident Hive

« Reply #2942 on: April 19, 2023, 10:32:02 PM »
Conan innocent!

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2943 on: April 19, 2023, 10:37:44 PM »
Conan is kind of crazy apolitical compared to all the rest

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #2945 on: April 20, 2023, 12:54:38 AM »

Himu

« Reply #2946 on: April 20, 2023, 05:55:46 AM »
I am obsessed with this woman.

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2947 on: April 20, 2023, 08:10:50 AM »

james

« Reply #2948 on: April 20, 2023, 11:08:27 AM »
Did you know Ms Shapiro has absolutely enormous knockers

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2950 on: April 20, 2023, 12:08:41 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2951 on: April 20, 2023, 12:29:25 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2952 on: April 20, 2023, 02:21:18 PM »
Connelly a 7? What are these zoomers smoking?

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1649097903326257154
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #2954 on: April 20, 2023, 09:44:05 PM »
twitter.com/Harqinz/status/1649018417855307776

:dead

james

« Reply #2955 on: April 20, 2023, 11:51:02 PM »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2956 on: April 21, 2023, 02:03:53 AM »
Most of them certainly became a lot less funnier over the years.
https://twitter.com/weirddalle/status/1649044739763712000

Looks more human than the real Conan O'Brien ever did.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #2957 on: April 21, 2023, 04:54:40 AM »
I am obsessed with this woman.
This may be the best thing she has written: https://www.bu.edu/arion/files/2017/09/Arion-Camille-Paglia-Junkbonds-Corporate-Raiders.pdf

She also extrapolates on what I said a few months ago about women being followers and men being more natural loners, often to their detriment. Women seek female companionship and acceptance far more than men seek male companionship and acceptance. This is why girls are often so well behaved at school: they don't want to rock the boat. Whereas boys are more willing to. This is often articulated in a sociological phenomenon (i.e. "girls have higher social expectations placed upon them to be well behaved") but I am arguing it from a biological framework as well. This is further exemplified in female mate selection. Women want the man all the other women want even if they previously were not attracted to that man. Simply finding out other women want him makes her want him.

More data:

The women were asked to rate how attractive they found each image before being shown the average rating given by the rest of the group.

Interestingly, when the women were asked to re-rate each image shortly after, their answer changed in favour of the social information.

On average, a participant changed their initial rating by around 13 per cent when rating the attractiveness of men’s faces depending on what other women had said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women-men-relationships-more-attractive-dating-romance-university-study-a8185026.html

ewomen performed significantly better and were more prudent in identifying norm violations while being confident in their ability to follow social norms better when compared to men — who had limited abilities when it came to an understanding and following rules. Similar findings have been confirmed by different research investigations across the globe, especially in the context of following norms during the covid-19 pandemic.

https://feminisminindia.com/2022/07/06/women-are-better-rule-followers-than-men-but-what-does-it-get-them/

Fascinating. Women care more about female opinion and consensus more than men care about male consensus.

And this brings us to Camille Paglia, a woman that describes herself as transgender and never felt female in her entire life.

"There's no female Mozart because there's no female Jack the Ripper." Wow.

It's also interesting how she's right. Men obsess in a way women don't. Women can be highly talented, often more than men, but women are less selfish and more willing to give up a pursuit. This is why you see so many career women give up their careers and settle down with a man. Yeah, they live a less rich life but she's happy. Men though. Men obsess and get tunnell visioned with our eye on the prize. This leads to an effect where we are selfish but we end up damn good in the things we obsess over.

There's a video, and I'll try to find it, where Camille expresses that women NEED female socialization like they need air to function and that research shows that women that have a strong female social network tend to get breast cancer at lower rates. Men aren't like that. We like our bros but socialization like air? No way man.

From a biological perspective this is all fascinating AF to me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:58:54 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2958 on: April 21, 2023, 04:58:23 AM »
She has a mans soyface so maybe she's right?
🤴

Himu

« Reply #2959 on: April 21, 2023, 05:05:43 AM »
She has a mans soyface so maybe she's right?

She's in her 70's here.

Here she is in the 90's.

I had to compare her to one of my muses, Susan Sontag, and Susan absolute disses her. Just WOW the rivalry between the two of them.

1:28 lmfao
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2961 on: April 21, 2023, 06:37:07 AM »
She also extrapolates on what I said a few months ago about women being followers and men being more natural loners, often to their detriment. Women seek female companionship and acceptance far more than men seek male companionship and acceptance. This is why girls are often so well behaved at school: they don't want to rock the boat. Whereas boys are more willing to. This is often articulated in a sociological phenomenon (i.e. "girls have higher social expectations placed upon them to be well behaved") but I am arguing it from a biological framework as well. This is further exemplified in female mate selection. Women want the man all the other women want even if they previously were not attracted to that man. Simply finding out other women want him makes her want him.

More data:

The women were asked to rate how attractive they found each image before being shown the average rating given by the rest of the group.

Interestingly, when the women were asked to re-rate each image shortly after, their answer changed in favour of the social information.

On average, a participant changed their initial rating by around 13 per cent when rating the attractiveness of men’s faces depending on what other women had said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women-men-relationships-more-attractive-dating-romance-university-study-a8185026.html

ewomen performed significantly better and were more prudent in identifying norm violations while being confident in their ability to follow social norms better when compared to men — who had limited abilities when it came to an understanding and following rules. Similar findings have been confirmed by different research investigations across the globe, especially in the context of following norms during the covid-19 pandemic.

https://feminisminindia.com/2022/07/06/women-are-better-rule-followers-than-men-but-what-does-it-get-them/

Fascinating. Women care more about female opinion and consensus more than men care about male consensus.

is this about socialization and identifying with a group, or could it just be more about assertiveness and conviction?

like, not adjusting your answer because you want to socialize and side with other women, but because the fact that others rated the individual higher makes you call into question your own opinion, and with your low self-confidence you crumble, and say "since I'm an outlier from the data I must've been mistaken"

meanwhile the men are like "why are you telling me what other men think? they're fuckin wrong, she's a 2/10, they can have her"
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #2962 on: April 21, 2023, 06:41:38 AM »

More data:

is this about socialization and identifying with a group, or could it just be more about assertiveness and conviction?

like, not adjusting your answer because you want to socialize and side with other women, but because the fact that others rated the individual higher makes you call into question your own opinion, and with your low self-confidence you crumble, and say "since I'm an outlier from the data I must've been mistaken"

meanwhile the men are like "why are you telling me what other men think? they're fuckin wrong, she's a 2/10, they can have her"

I think it's both socialization and biology because women apparently exhibit these behaviors around the whole world. It's not just American women that act this way.

Women just tend to be more concerned with what others - and especially women - think. This is good  in that it makes them more empathetic, but also bad in that makes them more self conscious.

Check this out..

https://www.apa.org/monitor/dec04/women
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 07:17:43 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #2963 on: April 21, 2023, 07:19:44 AM »
http://gos.sbc.edu/p/paglia.html
This is amusing because three decades later she was clearly wrong about the fascists losing their power. :lol

Additionally, her mention of Germaine Greer is fun because she's now condemned as an enemy of feminism for being a TERF.

Lastly, I didn't expect a 32 year old speech to contain Joanne's Genocide denial:
We cannot be misusing this word. We cannot condemn as bigotry everything that we don't agree with. Words like bigotry have to go. Or you don't get enough money for AIDS: "Genocide!" When you use words like this--this is what they were shouting up in Kennebunkport when Bush was on vacation on Labor Day--"Genocide!" Now what does this do? I mean, you totally destroy the true meaning of genocide as it was authentically embodied under Hitler. That's what you do. You destroy meanings, you anesthetize people, and you turn people off. You turn the mind off. You kill the brain. We cannot have this. We cannot have this abuse of language going on.
:jeanluc

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2964 on: April 21, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
you totally destroy the true meaning of genocide as it was authentically embodied under Hitler.
"Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"
🤴

james

« Reply #2965 on: April 21, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/afrocosmist/status/1649410099717234688

If you scroll down theres video of her getting destroyed by the ball

james

james

« Reply #2967 on: April 21, 2023, 05:58:21 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2968 on: April 22, 2023, 10:43:03 AM »
The Bud Light senior marketing executive behind the controversial Dylan Mulvaney ad campaign has taken a leave of absence, according to a report.

Alissa Heinerscheid, vice president of marketing for the popular beer, will be replaced by Budweiser global marketing VP Todd Allen, AdAge reported on Friday.

Heinerscheid has led the brand since June. It’s unclear if her replacement will be permanent.

(...)

A day before Mulvaney announced the partnership, Heinerscheid was interviewed on the podcast “Make Yourself At Home,” where she discussed her work in transforming the Bud Light brand from its “fratty” and “out of touch” humor to a beer company that embraces inclusivity.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/bud-light-replaces-marketing-exec-behind-dylan-mulvaney-partnership-report/

I really don't care much about budweiser one way or the other, but I always find it weird when companies deliberately move away from their core audience and are then surprised when that old audience gets upset. Wouldn't it have been smarter to release a new beer brand that's specifically targeting liberals?  :idont

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2969 on: April 22, 2023, 04:04:27 PM »
she discussed her work in transforming the Bud Light brand from its “fratty” and “out of touch” humor to a beer company that embraces inclusivity.

Clearly her opinion about her own success was wrong. No transformation took place in anyone's mind but her own. Some basic market research would have told her this. It takes more than one shitty "celebrity" endorsement to transform a brand. These things usually take years to achieve.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:06:12 AM by Potato »
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #2970 on: April 22, 2023, 08:25:09 PM »

benjipwns

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2972 on: April 23, 2023, 06:57:55 AM »
The Bud Light senior marketing executive behind the controversial Dylan Mulvaney ad campaign has taken a leave of absence, according to a report.

Alissa Heinerscheid, vice president of marketing for the popular beer, will be replaced by Budweiser global marketing VP Todd Allen, AdAge reported on Friday.

Heinerscheid has led the brand since June. It’s unclear if her replacement will be permanent.

(...)

A day before Mulvaney announced the partnership, Heinerscheid was interviewed on the podcast “Make Yourself At Home,” where she discussed her work in transforming the Bud Light brand from its “fratty” and “out of touch” humor to a beer company that embraces inclusivity.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/bud-light-replaces-marketing-exec-behind-dylan-mulvaney-partnership-report/

I really don't care much about budweiser one way or the other, but I always find it weird when companies deliberately move away from their core audience and are then surprised when that old audience gets upset. Wouldn't it have been smarter to release a new beer brand that's specifically targeting liberals?  :idont

"Clearly, this well paying job that I took was for a product I have barely disguised contempt for, so I decided to jettison the existing consumers, who, lets face it, are little more than scum, so that the next time I am talking about myself at a gathering my product will have a little more panache and others will more fully appreciate how brilliant at my job I am"
:ego :snob

james

« Reply #2973 on: April 25, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
The McConneys reported the situation to local police in November and surrendered the boy’s iPhone after discovering explicit text messages between the boy and a man believed to have gone by @HunterFloofyFox on Twitter.

In tweets reviewed by NBC News, the accused adult identified as a “map” — a common online abbreviation for “minor-attracted person.” @HunterFloofyFox excitedly referred to the teen as “my lamb.” Both the teen and the Hunter Fox account made frequent references to the online furry community — a group of people who roleplay as anthropomorphized animal characters. Hunter Fox repeatedly talked about a trip he said the two would go on together.

Twenty-five days before the abduction, police sent a search warrant to Twitter to learn more information about the man police believe was grooming the teen. But they misspelled the username.

When the police corrected the error several weeks later, Twitter did not immediately respond, police said.

Five days later, the teen was abducted, according to prosecutors and the McConneys.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/a-13-year-old-boy-was-groomed-publicly-on-twitter-and-kidnapped-despite-numerous-chances-to-stop-it.html

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2975 on: April 25, 2023, 01:08:04 PM »
Turning an asshole into a fronthole.  :lol

NekoFever

« Reply #2976 on: April 25, 2023, 02:28:56 PM »
I thought one of the replies might have been bullshit, but no, I found it in the medical literature:

A consequence of using bowel in vaginoplasty is mucus production which provides moisture and lubrication.

:trigger

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2977 on: April 25, 2023, 02:50:00 PM »
Happy lesbian visiblity week ft. top talent of soon to be cancelled shows

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1650929265871843329
🤴

james

« Reply #2978 on: April 25, 2023, 03:10:46 PM »
I wold have preferred they bring on some of pornhubs top lesbian artists

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2979 on: April 25, 2023, 03:12:17 PM »
I thought one of the replies might have been bullshit, but no, I found it in the medical literature:

A consequence of using bowel in vaginoplasty is mucus production which provides moisture and lubrication.

:trigger

:drool :mouf :horny
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2980 on: April 25, 2023, 03:15:02 PM »
It seems a bit silly to invite people from a TV show to the white house press conference but then I also see comments like this and I think... ehhh, I guess that's why

https://twitter.com/FlexionPlease/status/1650933569068343329

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2982 on: April 25, 2023, 06:36:40 PM »
 :wut

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2983 on: April 25, 2023, 06:42:47 PM »
One of my Fire Emblem Waifu princesses just informed me that she sentenced all the bandits to death for raiding merchants and destroyed their hide-out and the Divine Dragon said that was a good decision because the law must be upheld and it must've been difficult for her to make that decision and now their support level has gone from B to A.

Now what do I do.
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2984 on: April 25, 2023, 06:48:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1650937784285143070

The first rule: "When an enemy is down and can’t respond, you can’t keep shooting at them."

Nope.

The second rule: "Bots that don’t fire unprovoked are considered civilians, and you can’t target or harm them."

Nope.

The third rule: "In any given game map, houses, schools, or hospitals are considered safe zones that you cannot harm. When fighting in these spaces, you must do everything you can to avoid damage."

Nope.

The fourth rule: "If you have an unused med kit that works on others, you must give it to those who need it—be they friendly or enemy."

Nope.

I guess I’m a war criminal  :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2985 on: April 25, 2023, 06:57:51 PM »
The only rule I follow is shoot the medics first and take no prisoners
🤴

james

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2987 on: April 25, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »
it wasn't me, I'm still clean  8)

PS: the rules of engagement state that teabagging is completely fair, completely legal  :trumps

BIONIC

Margs

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2989 on: April 25, 2023, 10:24:51 PM »
Reverse holland and zendaya.

yes pls

benjipwns

« Reply #2990 on: April 25, 2023, 10:30:41 PM »
Twenty-five days before the abduction, police sent a search warrant to Twitter to learn more information about the man police believe was grooming the teen. But they misspelled the username.

When the police corrected the error several weeks later, Twitter did not immediately respond, police said.

Five days later, the teen was abducted, according to prosecutors and the McConneys.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/25/a-13-year-old-boy-was-groomed-publicly-on-twitter-and-kidnapped-despite-numerous-chances-to-stop-it.html
I hate these stories, there was a similar one about how Facebook didn't "stop" some woman from being trafficked. It's not incumbent on others to drop everything and address your concerns, especially when you give them wrong information, nor is it their fault if something they have no control over happens later and they didn't "stop it" because they couldn't do anything. It's definitely not incumbent on others to be as paranoid as you are even if it does turn out that everyone is out to get you.

Frankly, I applaud the companies when they ignore dumb requests for user information.

edit: Just realized it's another instance of people wanting corporations to be parents.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 10:35:28 PM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2991 on: April 25, 2023, 11:52:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/ask_aubry/status/1650717985890263041

:science
Imagine looking that manly and still accusing others of being trans...
 :gurl
Spud

BIONIC

« Reply #2992 on: April 26, 2023, 12:16:47 AM »
If that chick counts as manly then I must be super gay  :fabulous
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #2993 on: April 26, 2023, 01:25:37 AM »
“This made me question a lot about myself and how I am being (seen),” she told the room of maybe 75 to 100 people. “I didn’t really understand it until the past couple of years. I’ve pretty much stopped working full-time at Japanese companies since 2020, but even though I’m still working part-time, I don’t interact with so many people because I can’t take it. I don’t like it. Now, I prefer to do remote work as much as possible.”

Having issues with trusting your Japanese coworkers is definitely something that can affect your mental well-being when living here — before you even think about saying it, packing up and moving home is not always the answer.

What is the answer then? Maybe frank discussions like this.
Panelist Jutauan Glass, a licensed mental health counselor from the United States, spoke about the unique set of challenges that people of African descent from the West face in this country.

“Americans have a different development of self-concept than Black people from other countries,” Glass said. “We have been malnourished, denied the privilege of self-love — starved, so to speak. So, we get here and as we begin to nourish that self-concept, we have to tease out different nuances and discoveries which often result in cognitive dissonance, when what you’ve learned is not what you’re experiencing in life.

“I think a lot of us struggle with that. And it gets magnified here.”

Glass also spoke about the challenges and pitfalls of assimilation. Anyone who is seeking to fit in with the culture here will be forced to ask themselves (and answer) some tough questions.

“How do I fit into this society? How do they see me, and how do I see myself?” Glass said, listing off some examples. “This is a whole new society (for us), but African Americans — we never quite even belonged to the one we came from!”
Listening to Glass reminded me of why I’d attended the event in the first place and, for that matter, why I attend any events marketed as Afrocentric. It wasn’t solely for journalistic purposes. While there’s no shortage of love in the home I’ve made for myself here, outside validation is in short supply. And living in a community immersed in a people — many of whom perpetually see me as an outsider or guest at best (and a threat at worst) — often leaves my heart and mind craving for a community that sees me as just another member without needing to know me personally.

“Passive aggression is much more prevalent in Japan. It’s a way of life,” Glass remarked at the event. “So when incidents occur, there’s a lot of discounting and dismissal of our expressions and feelings even more than in the U.S. Even by other Black people.

“Black Americans want to escape and forget that pain of being a Black American. So we lie to ourselves and say things like, ‘Oh, Japanese don’t see us as Black.’ But of course they see you as Black!… Because of the pain, we want to escape the truth. So some come here in an effort to assimilate, to try to run from us, to separate from us, from the pain of being Black. I’ve seen this in my short time here.”

That last point really got me thinking. I, too, have seen this pathology here (and back in the U.S., as well). People who — at least publicly — go way out of their way to distance themselves from anything that could be construed or even misconstrued as “self-victimization” or stereotypically “Black.” “Black” is a social construct, anyway, so why subscribe to any of it? I get it. And I see the benefits of this approach to life. Even when it’s a charade, it’s often rewarded, so I’ve always viewed it as a choice.

Glass then told the room that this is the reason why the panel was so important and why we need events like Let’s Talk About It.

“We need a space where we can validate one another’s experience — pain and, yes, anger,” she said. “Because it’s real. People need to know: It’s not just you. You are not alone.”
:expert

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2994 on: April 26, 2023, 01:51:11 AM »
If that chick counts as manly then I must be super gay  :fabulous

:jeanluc :takei
Spud

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #2995 on: April 26, 2023, 08:07:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1650971053068263428

I don't know why she's also shooting bras

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2996 on: April 26, 2023, 08:48:45 AM »
what bud light thing?

james

« Reply #2997 on: April 26, 2023, 10:20:23 AM »
what bud light thing?

Straight people drink full calorie beers

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2998 on: April 26, 2023, 03:00:54 PM »
Everything is a lie

:(

Boredfrom

« Reply #2999 on: April 26, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »
“Black Americans want to escape and forget that pain of being a Black American. So we lie to ourselves and say things like, ‘Oh, Japanese don’t see us as Black.’ But of course they see you as Black!… Because of the pain, we want to escape the truth. So some come here in an effort to assimilate, to try to run from us, to separate from us, from the pain of being Black. I’ve seen this in my short time here.”

That last point really got me thinking. I, too, have seen this pathology here (and back in the U.S., as well). People who — at least publicly — go way out of their way to distance themselves from anything that could be construed or even misconstrued as “self-victimization” or stereotypically “Black.” “Black” is a social construct, anyway, so why subscribe to any of it? I get it. And I see the benefits of this approach to life. Even when it’s a charade, it’s often rewarded, so I’ve always viewed it as a choice.

:kermit

Japan has a lot of racial and xenophobic issues… but the old racial self victimization stunt is not going to help there, specially when is clear that discrimination is not limited to darker colors of skin.

“We need a space where we can validate one another’s experience — pain and, yes, anger,” she said. “Because it’s real. People need to know: It’s not just you. You are not alone.”

Your pain and anger is real, indeed. But is not going to come across as you think it going to do with other cultures racial perspectives, specially in a nation that is so desperate for homogenization and collectivism.