Author Topic: The Official Capeshit thread  (Read 12850 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The Official Capeshit thread
« on: July 20, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
Welcome friend this a totally original idea from your favorite poster - to have a dedicated thread for all the "cape shit" Marvel/DCEU et all.

Remember to check the fine print of your contracts and enjoy posting  :batman
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The Official Capeshit thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 03:33:03 PM »
I thought we're getting a Michael B. Jordan Superman, or is that it's own thing? DC verse is confusing

Kurt Russell

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 03:38:47 PM »
Are we allowed to be negative about Disney superhero kiddy movies, or will Bork remove the posts again?
woke

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 03:56:19 PM »
Are we allowed to be negative about Disney superhero kiddy movies, or will Bork remove the posts again?
This is the cape shit thread so as long as you stay on topic I don't see an issue :idont
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 04:10:46 PM »
Wait, did I miss some more bork tyranny?
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 04:13:41 PM »
I for one was harshly cancelled.

I just assumed the great tumblr logged in for once :trumps
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
Great tumblr  :dead
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 04:50:24 PM »
Less careposting more cape shittin'  :snore

I read the Marvels is going to be partially a musical  :yeshrug
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 05:08:54 PM »
is captain marvel a lesbian?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »
no but everyone whos posted in this thread will probably be banned :society
(ice)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »
Return of the Snyder verse?
I mean, he's just still under contract, he's always said he wants to do more. The "Snyderverse" and its roots for the DCEU has never gone away, all the highest grossing DC films outside of Batman are "Snyderverse" films. Black Adam clearly fits into the DCEU. The biggest ongoing threat to the "Snyderverse" appears to be many of the actors.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 10:45:17 PM »
I for one was harshly cancelled.

I just assumed the great tumblr logged in for once :trumps

Not off to a good start. 
:batman
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 10:49:23 PM by bork »
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 10:48:41 PM »
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »
I was just busting balls  :dice
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2022, 09:15:01 AM »
There's some simmering capeshit / culture war bullshit about the xmen in the MCU thats inevitably going to boil over whatever gets announced, between the "CAST ANYTHING BUT A WHITE MAN" :gamergate crowd for magneto / xavier, and the "THATS RIGHT, DENY A JEWISH HOLOCAUSE SURVIVOR" :social2 crowd

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 06:58:34 PM »
So apparently the Zak Snyder cut of Justice League was in large part boosted by inauthentic Twitter accounts?

Polident Hive

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »
Nah. More and more is coming out about how sketch the piece is. How it’s commissioned from people now fired from WB. New admin won’t be associated with it. How the writer left other reputable publications because they couldn’t defend Joss Whedon. Even other publications who tend to trash Snyder have called it out. They’ve been quietly editing it to avoid legal disputes. Original claim was only 6% abnormal. All to get a eye catching headline to distract when the movie was releasing on digital.

Heard the newer administration at WB is attempting to repair damage. Not so much comic book related. But internal politics have been fucked and what once was considered a filmmaker’s studio turned actively hostile under the last two heads. Why you had Nolan jump to Universal. And they spend a couple hundred million to get JJ Abrams to develop projects that went nowhere? When the WB and Discovery thing happened, yeah, almost everybody was fired.

Too much nerd caring for a day. Gonna go lift weights after this.

There's some simmering capeshit / culture war bullshit about the xmen in the MCU thats inevitably going to boil over whatever gets announced, between the "CAST ANYTHING BUT A WHITE MAN" :gamergate crowd for magneto / xavier, and the "THATS RIGHT, DENY A JEWISH HOLOCAUSE SURVIVOR" :social2 crowd

Don’t know about Moonknight, but saw a similar thing there. People upset he wasn’t Jewish in the show. Typically went “no other marvel character expresses their religion!” “daredevil and ms marvel do” “…that’s different.” Alright. Whatever.

The Magneto thing, I get the point about aging. Yes you have to ignore that Captain America, Antman, Miss Marvel, and various other characters don’t age or age slowly. And time travel existing. And alternate universes. Etc etc. But within the comics, I half remember reading X-men issues at the local comic store, amidst the BO clouds, where Magneto was de aged or cloned into a character called Joseph? There was a love triangle with him, Rogue, and Gambit? They could do that shit.

Xavier being a POC is cool. He’s old money, which was an interesting contrast to Magneto’s upbringing. But easy to hand wave imo. Would anybody complain if Ken Watanabe or Ving Rhames were Xavier?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 05:36:33 AM »
I didn't look hard into it but as I understand while "inauthentic accounts" may have been more prominent than the sort of average baseline, the % didn't seem all consuming either. You'd think Warner did not burn several dozens millions more just on a whim but then again this is Hollywood and the "Morbin'" timeline so... (Though the whole Snyder Cut thing was a lot more sustained in time than just being a successful meme).

I don't know what I think about those sort of debates. Trying to leverage and navigate the evanescent, formless internet mobs is part & parcel of high profile showbusiness now. But by nature that shit gets filtered around via unsavoury places.
With all the concentration happening in the industry you know artists are probably at a low point in bargaining power over their work and they're using whatever they can to wrestle back some if there's an opportunity.
ὕβρις

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 07:43:48 AM »
The whole Snyder Cut bots bullshit from rolling stone is the author re(eeee)litigating an existing dislike of the whole movement, because at some point for some reason (which I cannot recall at all why) the usual Twitter woke-warriors lumped in the Snyder cut movement together with the alt-right and gamergate.  I think a lot of that gestated out from the “Marvel/Disney=progressive, Snyder/DC=Nazis” types.

Damn  :ohhh maybe James was right and we do need a stupid capeshit thread…

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 09:39:27 AM »
Yes, we do need another culture war thread.

Polident Hive

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
My option on fan led campaigned somewhat changed. Grassroots movements like the Snyder cut or Sonic redesign? Cool. It’s not new. Deadpool, Firefly, Family Guy, Yakuza, Xenoblade, to name a few. Always concern of setting a dangerous precedent and it never pans out. It’s near universally been beneficial for all parties.

But Disney lobbying fans to pressure Sony into signing a Spider-Man deal. Epic asking Fortnite players to get Apple’s app policies changed. That shit’s kinda dire.

Speaking of dire, is Todd McFarlane still directing Spawn with Jamie Fox?

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2022, 10:02:11 AM »

Making Xavier black and Magneto a jewish holocaust survivor would seem like the best middleground. Though I'm sure someone will still write a tumblr about how problematic it is that they have the black guy preach respectability politics.

Though I hope they go with Lance Reddick as Xavier and not Esposito (Esposito seems to be rumored right now). Esposito will always feel too much like a business man to me while Reddick is perfect for that commanding type of guy who keeps too many secrets for his own good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:14:49 AM by HaughtyFrank »

jorma

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »
The whole Snyder Cut bots bullshit from rolling stone is the author re(eeee)litigating an existing dislike of the whole movement, because at some point for some reason (which I cannot recall at all why) the usual Twitter woke-warriors lumped in the Snyder cut movement together with the alt-right and gamergate.  I think a lot of that gestated out from the “Marvel/Disney=progressive, Snyder/DC=Nazis” types.

Damn  :ohhh maybe James was right and we do need a stupid capeshit thread…

it seems really pointless as well, questioning the grassroots origins of the #releasethesnydercut meme is a moot point when the actual release was so well received (afaik)

Polident Hive

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 10:24:15 AM »
Esposito as Xavier? That’s cool. Different than the narrow character type they’ve been hiring him for since BB.

Feel like Magneto and Xavier shouldn’t be pivotal. On the periphery. After twenty years of focusing on those two and Wolverine, there are others to explore. Have Cyclops be a character for once. Selfish thought. Wouldn’t say I’m the demographic. Audience they’d want didn’t grow up with those movies.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2022, 08:38:57 PM »
Marvel's phase 5

Tuckers Law

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 08:56:23 PM »
 :boring

Polident Hive

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2022, 09:26:41 PM »
Too much to keep up with even if I were into it. Sounds like they announced two avengers movies in the same year, too.

Daredevil cast returning is cool. I’ll watch it and Blade.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1551015049405247488
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 09:31:41 PM by Polident Hive »

Bebpo

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2022, 10:14:39 PM »
Wakanda Forever looks amazing.

Marvel's lineup for the next two years looks pretty dull though. No big team-up stuff pulling things together until 2025 and no new unnanounced stuff (aka X-men/Deadpool) until after that in 2026...

Lots of Charlie Cox Daredevil is cool though. Kang getting at least a couple movies is good.

Also not really clear on what makes She-Hulk and Wakanda Forever a phase ender for Phase 4. No team up stuff and Phase 5 is still introducing new characters and plots with stuff like Blade.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2022, 10:20:53 PM »
I've always thought Magento should be a South African who lived through apartheid and Xavier should just stay a liberal idealist with an ego. They still meet in Israel and create a friendship because they realize they are mutants. Mutants have always been around, just Xavier and Mag have been scouting them and hiding them in the Savage Land, just like in Ultimate X-men. Because things like the Weapon X project and other experiments have been happening all this time.

Anyway, two Avengers movies is kind of exciting. A new Captain America is cool. but still can't say I'm excited for any of these other things. Give me the X-men.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2022, 10:23:50 PM »
Giving Namor and his people this Aztec inspired look is a pretty cool choice. Makes them also a good counterpart to the similarly tribal looking Wakanda

Bebpo

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »
I wonder what the Avengers lineup will even be in the 2025 films.

Captain America, Black Panther, one of the Ant-Man trio, Shang-Chi, She-Hulk, etc?  They'll have a pretty wide range of characters to pick from. Will be interesting to see who they pick as the main "team"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 10:52:55 PM »
Yeah, and then 8 more phase 6 projects following the fallout of those which is probably where X-men are introduced.

Phase 6 gonna be hot stuff. Just gotta wait it out a couple more years.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 11:02:04 PM »
They are totally going to kill T'Challa offscreen aren't they?

Anyway, She Hulk looks like a fun, street level romp

Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
Sorry, you're not going to convince me that Fantastic Four is going to make that date just by throwing the logo up on a chart again. :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're going to punt FF and X-Men to Phase Seven outside of dropping in a few characters to tease them. :shh
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2022, 11:42:36 PM »
They are totally going to kill T'Challa offscreen aren't they?

Yes. I think it's pretty much the most respectful option of a bunch of bad options.  The trailer looks sick though.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2022, 12:10:50 AM »
Tupac hologram Bossman.

would look better than the cg qualty they've been using lately :teehee
[close]

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2022, 12:30:43 AM »
If that Tchalla funeral scene doesn’t have a Sisqo cameo I’m gonna be pretty upset.

Bebpo

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 12:47:09 AM »
Someone just said rumor that Thunderbolts (Phase 5 ender) would have

Deadpool and Punisher leading it
[close]

Which makes a hell of a lot more sense if it's a big budget end-phase movie. From what I've read in the comics and from the characters in the MCU TV show being setup for the team, I just can't imagine a team of TV-level B-listers teaming up would pull in the box office for that kind of a film. I mean I liked Yelena Black Widow a lot in Hawkeye, but I don't see people lining up for her and US Agent headed movie.

Now take that movie and have

Deadpool
[close]

headline it and you get butts in seats.

I wonder if that would mean that Thunderbolts

would be the first R-rated MCU movie. Maybe release two versions, one that beeps out all the swears and edits out the violence and one uncensored.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 12:52:31 AM by Bebpo »

benjipwns

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2022, 01:29:57 AM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2022, 02:45:29 AM »
Still think they should have just recast. Tchalla is a big character, bigger than his actor.

And I can't say I'm interested in Namor without him.

Bebpo

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2022, 03:18:53 AM »
Still think they should have just recast. Tchalla is a big character, bigger than his actor.

And I can't say I'm interested in Namor without him.

Eh, I don't think Namor depends on T'Challa.

I'm all for recast and yeah it would've been interesting to see a King v King showdown with those two, but Namor is a punk and anyone vs Namor honestly works. Namor has been vs like 90% of the Marvel heroes at one time or another.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2022, 03:50:08 AM »
I disagree.

During the Hickman run the interplay between Tchalla and Namor was great. The constant contrast between how they rule and Namor pretty much egging him on was some of the best parts of secret Avengers. As kings they play off each other great. A movie about two kings fighting each other sounds interesting and a way to match Killmonger. You won’t get that now.

Bebpo

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2022, 04:30:05 AM »
I actually think the best Namor stuff in the comics is when he's vs a strong woman. There's a great Emma Frost vs Namor bit I read this year.

The women of Wakanda are badass. Will be fine.

HaughtyFrank

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2022, 06:51:50 AM »
Black Panther looks good  :whoo

As for Phase 5 I'm most excited for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, BLADE and Captain America: New World Order.
Which is also what I feel the pace should be for these movies to come out.

🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2022, 06:56:13 AM »
twitter.com/MurrellDan/status/1550924247274606592
FACT CHECK: He bailed:
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1550916582620143617

:teehee
[close]

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »
I disagree.

During the Hickman run the interplay between Tchalla and Namor was great. The constant contrast between how they rule and Namor pretty much egging him on was some of the best parts of secret Avengers. As kings they play off each other great. A movie about two kings fighting each other sounds interesting and a way to match Killmonger. You won’t get that now.

With all the multiverse stuff going on I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually bring in a Black Panther variant that's basically replacing Bosman

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »
I disagree.

With all the multiverse stuff going on I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually bring in a Black Panther variant that's basically replacing Bosman

I think that's how they're going to replace everyone who isn't doing these movies long-term within a few years.
ど助平

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »
They should do that anywyas. Even within the same universe.

Like that movie where a bunch of actors play the same character.

One movie contracts , so they put the work in.

Polident Hive

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2022, 01:04:51 PM »
So superficially Namor is Aquaman? His character blurb here reads that he’s a half Atlantean, half human.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »
So superficially Namor is Aquaman? His character blurb here reads that he’s a half Atlantean, half human.

He actually predates aquaman and was one of marvels first supes (along with a robot called the human torch) with captain america fighting nazis

Bebpo

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »

Yeah, though Namor is more a super douchebag antihero. But he's entertaining because he is always 110% on with his jackassery. Also he's not a team player and always in it for his own goals cause he doesn't give a shit about anyone else. Kinda similar to Punisher in that.

I really do wonder if they're gonna neuter him to a strong degree in MCU. His womanizer stuff really isn't gonna fly in modern times. I feel like they're probably gonna tone him down to make him easier to accept/like as a hero in upcoming MCU stuff.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
I'm not familiar but I always grew up hearing he was a major rival / antagonist to Reed Richards and the Fantastic 4, including romancing The Invisible Woman. He's royalty like Black Panther (which apparently is another character he got some strong stories with) and has the ego of Dr.Doom. I think compared to the latest Aquaman movie, Namor has some traits of the vilain, Make Atlantis Deep Again & all that. Not a big fan of humanity.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 04:46:24 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »
yeah, he got 'revived' in fantastic four, and his track record is pretty much like magneto at this point in terms of flip-flopping between hero and villain.
He's literally made pacts with dr doom to carve up the planet between them where he gets the sea and doom gets the land.

In one of the comics I read but cant remember which, they basically said his atlantean physiology basically makes him a manic depressive, so if he spends enough time on land he goes full evil because he doesnt get the water exposure he needs to stay balanced :idont

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2022, 05:04:49 PM »
I'm not really invested in it but I know it's important for old comics head to not fuck up yet another Fantastic Four because Namor, Doom and Galactus (+Silver Surfer) are all historically tied into it and it makes it a lot easier to have those characters around. I guess you could swap the Avengers or whatever but it will not have the same flavor. You could make a really trippy standalone Silver Surfer movie but going straight into that skipping the whole herald of Galactus bit seems a little too risqué for Marvel ?

I wonder if there's something inherent to the F4 that may account for 3 failed films (not counting the Corman). Maybe they need to ditch the whole mutated in space origin thing or keep it to a minimum because managing 4 characters (and possibly Doom) is plenty enough on a director's plate already. Perhaps the whole family dynamic thing is a hurdle ?

Or just remake the Incredibles.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:13:04 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
Namor is also a mutant.  Wonder if they're going to mention that for the movie version.
:thinking
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2022, 05:32:04 PM »
Namor is also a mutant.  Wonder if they're going to mention that for the movie version.
:thinking

Probably. Without an X-men movie, probably just start name dropping mutants here and there to make it seem like they've been around this whole time before doing X-men.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
One thing though is that Marvel Films will probably be less awkward in embracing the source material for what it is. Many people noted the Fox productions always felt reluctant to embrace Dr.Doom as a warlock in the green robe hoodie or couldn't deal with Galactus as a space ogre giant. I think it was probably a mix of aesthetic divergences / cultures and not having the money or technical means to properly illustrate this... But the MCU is way past those issues.

One thing for Doom is that he's going to be mask on 97% or 100% of the time. It's been done before (Darth Vader) and I think playing full CG characters with little to no face likeness to the comedian is more acceptable and accepted now. But you need an actor with great physicality, great voice, everyone being OK with no face and being recognizable still. Or go the Star Wars of having separate body and voice acting (and stifling the stuntman) but I wouldn't think it'd fly today.
ὕβρις