4 (30.8%)
Nay
3 (23.1%)
Gay
4 (30.8%)
Mupepe
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: 2023: yay, nay, or gay?  (Read 530 times)

Himu

Re: 2023: yay, nay, or gay?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 06:35:10 AM »
2023 sucked.

+ I am still alive

- Being alive is expensive
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
You got a minute?

Nay
- Had a wisdom teeth pulled which was especially difficult to get out ("if you were able to handle this you can handle anything!" the surgeon said smiling)
- My uncle died
- Another uncle died (had no contact with this one though)
- My dad had part of his pancreas removed, the surgery was delayed because of last years heart attack
- While he was in surgery my mothers depression and psychosis hit her hard and she didn't even want to visit him
- He panicked in the hospital because he realized he couldn't take care of her
- The weekend after he got home from his first surgery he suffered an internal bleeding
- He was taken to the hospital with an ambulance and in terrible shape
- I had to stay home with my mother to prevent her from panicking
- I visited him alone in a mostly empty hospital, he was very frail and could barely move or speak
- After a blood transfusion he started to recover
- 14 hospital visits later he was due to come home
- On the last day his sugar levels went haywire, while he could go home he was diagnosed with diabetes
- My brother may lose his job and with it his residency status in Canada, already 95% of his team has been laid off by Embracer, he's unsure if he's still there because of a tax credit or if they'll actually rebuild the studio
- The 3 months it took my father to recover left a mark on my company as well
- My car needed new breaks and front tires
- Prices continue to rise, energy, groceries, everything is getting more expensive still
- One of my friends is in pretty bad shape financially
- I haven't been able to drink any alcohol all year because of my medication
- My meds also give me mood swings sometimes while I'm usually very stable, which is very confusing for everyone around me

Yay
+ It took months but the medicine actually worked and the rosacea outbreak I got from my COVID booster last year has been tamed, I'm no longer suffering from Scarlet Rot
+ My dad learned this morning that he is free of cancer
+ Had a nice dinner with friends from university I hadn't seen in a long time
+ Gaming was incredible this year: new Fire Emblem, Tears of the Kingdom, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk fixed etc.
+ My new 4070 Ti with path ray tracing  :drool
+ AI provides our company with great new opportunities
+ I'm close to signing our biggest deal ever
+ Wilders won the election in a landslide
+ Overall the tide is turning against censorship, people who said I was wrong about all of it before are now more zealous in the culture war than I ever was

Gay
~ Terrorist attack on Israel really brings out the worst in people, who knew so many genuine jew haters lived among us
~ People keep telling me what a good job I did with my dad considering I kept working at all but I really don't feel that way about it myself
~ When this site shit the bed, now there's two of them but also lots of new members on the other one
~ Movie strike and delays, I was really looking forward to DUNE 2

Overall one of the worst years of my life and for those around me. Lots of people sick, dealing with sick or dying family members or going through messy break ups and what have you.

But the outlook for 2024 is positive.  :playa
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 11:15:51 AM »
Mupepe.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 08:56:57 PM »
Yay
  • Attended Game Developer Convention in San Francisco for the first time in 12 years
  • After an initial New Year's alcohol cutback, but failing to moderate, gave up alcohol entirely in April
  • Stopping alcohol has improved my sleep, digestion, mood balance, and just about every quality of life for which I could hope
  • Visited USA three times from Japan, the last trip was a Business class flight through a friend, cost me about US$80 thanks to her employee benefit
  • Saw my mom extensively while her dementia still allows her to recognize me
  • BIL gave me a gaming PC with a 2080ti and an Oculus Quest, so I am again a member of PCMasterRace

Nay
  • Despite the dev team being successfully hitting all goals and being very happy and successful under my management, the boss who headhunted me in 2021 decided they didn't like how I was doing things, so I left that job
  • When I started looking for work again, it was amidst the unprecedented turbulence caused by Embracer "dining out" everywhere and then forgetting their wallet; I've never had to look for work this long in my nearly 30 year career
  • Ageism is legal in Japan, and is consistently brought up in any interview
  • Mom's dementia continues to progress; she misidentified me as her cousin; so it begins
  • Money savings gains during pandemic have half-disappeared due to unemployment while having two children in college
  • Applied for and received unemployment insurance payments for the first time in my life; felt weird

Gay
  • Surprisingly little action on this front, despite extended time in San Francisco in spring

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 01:35:34 PM »
It was fine
:O

Himu

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 02:21:14 AM »
Yay
  • Attended Game Developer Convention in San Francisco for the first time in 12 years
  • After an initial New Year's alcohol cutback, but failing to moderate, gave up alcohol entirely in April
  • Stopping alcohol has improved my sleep, digestion, mood balance, and just about every quality of life for which I could hope
  • Visited USA three times from Japan, the last trip was a Business class flight through a friend, cost me about US$80 thanks to her employee benefit
  • Saw my mom extensively while her dementia still allows her to recognize me
  • BIL gave me a gaming PC with a 2080ti and an Oculus Quest, so I am again a member of PCMasterRace

Nay
  • Despite the dev team being successfully hitting all goals and being very happy and successful under my management, the boss who headhunted me in 2021 decided they didn't like how I was doing things, so I left that job
  • When I started looking for work again, it was amidst the unprecedented turbulence caused by Embracer "dining out" everywhere and then forgetting their wallet; I've never had to look for work this long in my nearly 30 year career
  • Ageism is legal in Japan, and is consistently brought up in any interview
  • Mom's dementia continues to progress; she misidentified me as her cousin; so it begins
  • Money savings gains during pandemic have half-disappeared due to unemployment while having two children in college
  • Applied for and received unemployment insurance payments for the first time in my life; felt weird

Gay
  • Surprisingly little action on this front, despite extended time in San Francisco in spring

Hey, I know you don't like me and that's cool but I know how close you are to your mom and I'm praying for her as well as you. Also sorry about the job. Keep your head up. You'll make it.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 07:11:01 PM »
Thanks very much, Himu. I appreciate that.