Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 35931 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: The coming console war
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2021, 05:06:11 PM »
I’m sure it feels better. I don’t really care. I also doubt most people do care or even have the tv to do it.

And no I would like Lost Odyssey at 4K and or 60. Titanfall 2 has been fine on consoles forever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2021, 06:32:02 PM »
Maybe not a gimmick, but I doubt there’s many who can take advantage of it. Titanfall 2 and ME already looked and ran great on the One X. Would rather have these efforts put forward on games that can use it like say Lost Odyssey and so on.

One of the big advantages that the Xbox line has over Playstation is compatibilty.  Xbox One X and Series can run at 1440P.  IIRC they also can do 1080P or 1440P 120 FPS with HDMI 2.0 so more TVs should be able to do this, not to mention a ton of monitors out there.  But need confirmation on that.

Gaming monitors as a whole are either 4K, or  1080P/1440P 144/240HZ. It's been this way for years at this point. Top end TVs last year were all about high refresh rates and adaptive sync.

Refresh rates aren't a gimmick. Might as well say game performance or feel as a whole doesn't matter. Higher refresh rates feel better to play. Tons of videos detail this. It isn't just about some sort of competitive edge, game feel benefits a fuck ton from high framerate and refresh rates.

You have the choice of games looking better (4K), or running/feeling better (144/240HZ)

Or both -and you can get 4K 144hz- it's just going to cost you.  :money

One of the reasons why people are so excited about HDMI 2.1 right now is that means 4K 120hz on much larger panels for a considerably cheaper price than a large format gaming display would cost.  A 55" OLED LG CX is around $1500-ish.  A 55" OLED Alienware monitor is like $3000.

And for anyone who glossed over it or missed it, you can also get PS5 to run at 1080P 120hz on compatible monitors with HDMI 2.0 ports.  Not sure about TVs that have this but it's worth checking.  Has to do with downscaling- 1440P monitors that can accept 4K signals can do this, for example.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2021, 06:32:32 PM »
That's probably 120fps / 1080p (or a lower dynamic resolution)

🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »
A solid 120/144fps in fast-paced games is fantastic.
I hope to someday actually experience 120fps.  :-[

My experience with it is that it's hard to tell a difference once you're over 100 frames or so, but regardless, it's pretty awesome- everything just feels so incredibly smooth.  It's mainly a bigger deal in competitive FPS games and the like because with a good, fast monitor, you're getting insanely smooth motion and minimal input lag.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
That's probably 120fps / 1080p (or a lower dynamic resolution)

Yeah, just checked- same deal as Playstation 5.  You can have a 1440P monitor drop to 1080P/120 FPS.  There's just way more compatible monitors out there that Xbox can use compared to Playstation.

I hate that Sony won't add 1440P resolution.  It sucks worse when a response given about it was "we can add it at any time if there is enough demand for it."
:mindblown

Why would you NOT add it then? :dizzy

But as it is, the monitor I'm using downscales PS4 Pro 4K to 1440P beautifully.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #425 on: April 22, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »
Is that true? I hooked my Series X up to my 1440p 175hz monitor and it wouldn’t allow that.

“1440p can only do 1440p @ 60hz. The monitors are not equipped with HDMI 2.1 to allow for 1440p @ 120hz. You can only get 1440p @ 120hz if you use the display port, which the Xbox does not have.Nov 10, 2020“

Either way it’s a feature I bet about 90% of the users can’t use.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: April 22, 2021, 06:40:00 PM »
Is that true? I hooked my Series X up to my 1440p 175hz monitor and it wouldn’t allow that.

“1440p can only do 1440p @ 60hz. The monitors are not equipped with HDMI 2.1 to allow for 1440p @ 120hz. You can only get 1440p @ 120hz if you use the display port, which the Xbox does not have.Nov 10, 2020“

Either way it’s a feature I bet about 90% of the users can’t use.

Yeah, just posted this right when you did!  You should be able to get 1080P 120 HZ, though.

ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #427 on: April 22, 2021, 07:42:45 PM »
A solid 120/144fps in fast-paced games is fantastic.
I hope to someday actually experience 120fps.  :-[

My experience with it is that it's hard to tell a difference once you're over 100 frames or so, but regardless, it's pretty awesome- everything just feels so incredibly smooth.  It's mainly a bigger deal in competitive FPS games and the like because with a good, fast monitor, you're getting insanely smooth motion and minimal input lag.

In my experience a high and solid frame rate is awesome for RTS’s as well as FPS’s.

thetylerrob

« Reply #428 on: April 22, 2021, 08:15:36 PM »
Don't ask me how it would work, but a fighting game designed specifically for high refresh rate monitors would be cool.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:34 PM »
Don't ask me how it would work, but a fighting game designed specifically for high refresh rate monitors would be cool.

Samurai Shodown (2019) on XBox Series X runs at 120hz.  :o

Not that you can tell from this video, since Youtube is capped at 60 fps.  :lol

Apparently Fantasy Strike and Power Rangers on PC run at high refresh rates too.  Might need to try those.  The games still should feel pretty much the same as 60 FPS, but the input lag should be lower.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:49:06 PM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #430 on: April 22, 2021, 11:39:17 PM »
A post to celebrate my love for PlayStation :tocry

:tocry
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:46:00 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #431 on: April 23, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »

:tocry
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:10:42 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #432 on: April 23, 2021, 12:12:13 AM »
The current crop of games I think already have issue with motion clarity at 60 fps. Having the extra tween frames in fast games like SF, smash and guilty would really make things more readable, I think

Himu

« Reply #433 on: April 23, 2021, 12:33:06 AM »

Good God I was obsessed with MGS1 before it came out. I couldn't believe they were making a game straight out of Hollywood.

I first saw a trailer for the game in OPM. They had a demo disc with an MGS1 trailer on it. I had to have it.

Later they managed to put out an MGS1 demo that you picked up at Pizza Hut. I didn't get past the first room for 30-40 minutes just fucking around. I got the game for Christmas 98 and was hooked. What a game.

The aforementioned trailer.

MGS1 is still great to this day, shooting and all.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #434 on: April 23, 2021, 12:55:02 AM »
Holy shit, I'm old. :stahp
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #435 on: April 23, 2021, 12:56:52 AM »
I still remember buying MGS for $35 off my friend who was done with it.  My dad was all, “why”...pfft, you don’t know, old man.  This is solid fucking snake.

Himu

« Reply #436 on: April 23, 2021, 01:03:24 AM »
Sniper Wolf :lawd
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: April 23, 2021, 03:48:28 AM »
How is 120fps a gimmick lmao

I just don't see the point in it as someone satisfied with 30.

Rah is referring to Lost Odyssey's myriad of flaws like long load times and frame rate.

I uh what

Satisfied with 30?????? Are u ok?
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #438 on: April 23, 2021, 04:29:01 AM »
idgaf about 30fps, as long as the game doesn't turn I to a slide slow I'm gucci :trumps
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2021, 05:11:15 AM »
idgaf about 30fps, as long as the game doesn't turn I to a slide slow I'm gucci :trumps

30fps is fine if its 30 throughout, but 60 just feels so much better. I dont understand how one can say either 60 or 120fps is a gimmick I dunno
What

Svejk

« Reply #440 on: April 23, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
Even though I have yet to see 120fps, 60fps to 120fps seems to be only for the e-sport extremists type.. The thought of 120fps sounds almost inhuman, as light bulb flashes at 60 times a second.  It's not even noticeable to the human eye. I can't imagine I'll ever have the need for 120fps.  It would be nice to have the option I suppose... just seems unnecessary for 95% of gamers out there.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #441 on: April 23, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
You can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 120, even just in the mouse cursor moving around more smoothly.
That said, it's a diminishing return thing, so it doesn't feel as drastic as the jump between 30 and 60, even though it's double the amount of frames being added.

240fps, now that's probably just for esports types, LinusTechTips had a video testing that:

Himu

« Reply #442 on: April 23, 2021, 09:31:58 AM »

Rah is referring to Lost Odyssey's myriad of flaws like long load times and frame rate.

I uh what

Fighting, racing, and fps are the only games I demand be 60. Played Bloodborne, which is 30, and loved it just fine. It's not that important to me.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: April 23, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
Lel

i also loved it at broken 30fps with bad framepacing, doesnt mean it would be a better experience at 60 🤷🏼‍♂️
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #444 on: April 23, 2021, 10:27:53 AM »
The thought of 120fps sounds almost inhuman, as light bulb flashes at 60 times a second.  It's not even noticeable to the human eye. I can't imagine I'll ever have the need for 120fps.

Most lightbulbs flash at 120 hz. The ones in the 50/60hz range are pretty noticable from your peripheral vision. (We in the Netherlands had Crt tvs running at 50hz back in the day and you could most definitely see it flickering.)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #445 on: April 23, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
In fairness to Cindi, I think what she’s touching on is that not having a faster frame rate isn’t a detriment to her enjoyment of most good games, which I would agree with pretty much entirely.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #446 on: April 23, 2021, 11:02:50 AM »
It depends on the stability also.

I tried replaying Bloodborne a couple of years back, and the stuttering + shitty image quality gave me a headache, and couldn't continue.
Some games that are 30 but very smoothly paced, are more acceptable.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #447 on: April 23, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
In fairness to Cindi, I think what she’s touching on is that not having a faster frame rate isn’t a detriment to her enjoyment of most good games, which I would agree with pretty much entirely.

That's definitely fair. I'd say anyone saying it's a waste or unwarranted isn't fair. This hobby has a lot of different options and getting more bang for your buck for any game or device is beneficial.

We're at the cusp of consoles having high performance options being standard. Which is something a lot of people could or would enjoy.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #448 on: April 23, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Its kind of a waste when there plenty of other 30fps BC games that could be updated instead of adding a feature that most can't use.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #449 on: April 23, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
It's kind of not a waste that support is added and people get to enjoy using a new feature they haven't used or experienced before.

What's gonna be next on the "this thing that people enjoy but I don't therefore it sucks" bingo card? So far we have backwards compatibility, storefronts and access to games, game pass, and now support for monitors and tvs.
OH!

Beezy

« Reply #450 on: April 23, 2021, 12:08:28 PM »
Its kind of a waste when there plenty of other 30fps BC games that could be updated instead of adding a feature that most can't use.
You do realize they're not done adding FPS boost to games, right? Maybe it was just easier/quicker to do on these EA games.

Himu

« Reply #451 on: April 23, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
I can definitely see the benefit with fps games. Those old unreal games were higher than 60 right?
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #452 on: April 23, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »
Playing Control on PS5 was a unique experience.  I jumped between graphics mode and performance mode way more than expected.  When going around environments with heavy reflections and lighting, graphics mode...  Tougher, more intense boss fights, performance mode.   This becoming a thing now is definitely welcome... at least for Control.  With games like Demon's Souls, there's very little reason to play in graphics mode... Toggled it once..  :kobeyuck won't do that again.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
True DeS experience should always have it looking a little jank!  Framedrops in swamp and muddy textures galore!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #454 on: April 23, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »
I doubt most people have HDMI 2.1 TVs. Updating an already perfect running game like Titanfall 2 is boring.

Battlefield 4 runs at 120fps. Does it still have a sub 1080p Rez?

Catalyst runs at 120fps. Does it still look like crap?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:04:28 PM by Rahxephon91 »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »
And what's with this dang newfangled HD? Back in my day we had 576p.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: April 23, 2021, 02:31:10 PM »
I doubt most people have HDMI 2.1 TVs. Updating an already perfect running game like Titanfall 2 is boring.

Even if your tv doesnt support 60fps im still sure 120fps gives you better performance even if your tv doesnt display 120fps

but maybe im talking outta my ass but Im pretty sure I looked that up once
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #457 on: April 23, 2021, 06:43:45 PM »
If your tv doesn’t  support 120hz, the Xbox doesn’t output 120fps.

I don’t think you get any improvement.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #458 on: April 23, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »
Even though I have yet to see 120fps, 60fps to 120fps seems to be only for the e-sport extremists type.. The thought of 120fps sounds almost inhuman, as light bulb flashes at 60 times a second.  It's not even noticeable to the human eye. I can't imagine I'll ever have the need for 120fps.  It would be nice to have the option I suppose... just seems unnecessary for 95% of gamers out there.

These are very "old man yelling at the clouds" type responses.   :doge  Rahx, you've said "I doubt most people have HDMI 2.1 TVs" multiple times in this post.  Doesn't matter- it's a new standard that more and more TVs and monitors are going to have going forward. 

You can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 120, even just in the mouse cursor moving around more smoothly.
That said, it's a diminishing return thing, so it doesn't feel as drastic as the jump between 30 and 60, even though it's double the amount of frames being added.

240fps, now that's probably just for esports types, LinusTechTips had a video testing that:

Some of you guys might want to check out your phone screens and see what they're running at- my Pixel 4 XL is 90hz and the difference when just scrolling up and down with it enabled is pretty noticeable versus 60hz.  So you may already have something like this available to compare.

I uh what

Fighting, racing, and fps are the only games I demand be 60. Played Bloodborne, which is 30, and loved it just fine. It's not that important to me.

Looks pretty awesome at 60 fps to me. 

I'd certainly want to play it this way if given the choice.  Ditto for 120 fps- I'm sure Devil May Cry 5 SE on the next-gen consoles is amazing with 120 fps enabled.

Definitely- just don't see a reason to be against having better framerate options is all. 

Playing Control on PS5 was a unique experience.  I jumped between graphics mode and performance mode way more than expected.  When going around environments with heavy reflections and lighting, graphics mode...  Tougher, more intense boss fights, performance mode.   This becoming a thing now is definitely welcome... at least for Control.  With games like Demon's Souls, there's very little reason to play in graphics mode... Toggled it once..  :kobeyuck won't do that again.

This is why I've become a bigger fan of playing on PC- I can run Control with all the crazy 'graphics' mode stuff enabled and at a better framerate than what 'performance' on a console offers.
:lawd

Will be interesting to see if devs can get the consoles to do 4K/60 FPS/Full detail/RTX on by the end of the gen.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #459 on: April 23, 2021, 07:22:24 PM »
120fps is pretty nice. Playing Doom Eternal on those framerates is godly. But 60 > 120fps is not as big a difference for me as 30 > 60fps is.
Still if we get higher framerates or better looking games I'm all for it.

I think we've sort of hit the ceiling with resolutions anyway. Post 4k it really becomes a matter of screen size not resolution.
The way I see it up to 32" you're ok with either 1080p or 1440p. Then between 32" and 65" you definitely want at least 4k or something close to it.

4K/HDR OLED really is a blessing. Whether it is Lord of the Rings or Tennet in 4k, Xenoblade upressed or RTX enabled games like CONTROL. Everything looks so smooth  :whew
In that sense I feel that we really hit a golden age of video games and movies in terms of availability of content at the best possible quality.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #460 on: April 23, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »
120fps is pretty nice. Playing Doom Eternal on those framerates is godly. But 60 > 120fps is not as big a difference for me as 30 > 60fps is.
Still if we get higher framerates or better looking games I'm all for it.

Agreed.  And before that even, just having a solid, stable framerate is more important to me than 30 fps, 60 fps, or higher- I'll take a rock-solid 30 over a 60 fps game with a framerate that's all over the place.

I think we've sort of hit the ceiling with resolutions anyway. Post 4k it really becomes a matter of screen size not resolution.
The way I see it up to 32" you're ok with either 1080p or 1440p. Then between 32" and 65" you definitely want at least 4k or something close to it.

From my experience, it's-

1080P: Up to 27" with 24" being the sweet spot.
1440P: From 27" to 32" with 27" being the sweet spot.
4K: 32" and up.  Not sure what the sweet spot is here.  I thought 4K 32" and 4K 55" both looked great.

But that's more for PC usage and less for general console gaming on a TV.  1080P still looks good on my 2011 TV.  As does 720P on my little 19" 2009 TV, lol.

4K/HDR OLED really is a blessing. Whether it is Lord of the Rings or Tennet in 4k, Xenoblade upressed or RTX enabled games like CONTROL. Everything looks so smooth  :whew
In that sense I feel that we really hit a golden age of video games and movies in terms of availability of content at the best possible quality.

Dat black level and response time
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #461 on: April 23, 2021, 07:55:43 PM »
Options are nice. Just don’t think 120fps is neat or should even be a priority when there’s plenty of other things that can be done. Especially when the games you’re enhancing were already fine or have problems keeping 1080p or hitting settings above the medium pc settings.

These consoles barley support Dolby Vision so let’s not talk about what the standards are.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:34:58 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Svejk

« Reply #462 on: April 23, 2021, 08:11:09 PM »

This is why I've become a bigger fan of playing on PC- I can run Control with all the crazy 'graphics' mode stuff enabled and at a better framerate than what 'performance' on a console offers.

Will be interesting to see if devs can get the consoles to do 4K/60 FPS/Full detail/RTX on by the end of the gen.

I agree, but here's the catch...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #463 on: April 23, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »
I want a Titanfall 3. :'( :'( :'(

Himu

« Reply #464 on: April 23, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
I'm glad that people that care about 120 fps have the option. Options being available on next gen systems honestly just makes them even more appealing than pc. Even though I don't personally care about 120 I can see why others would and I'm glad you all have that option. *thumbs up*

These are very "old man yelling at the clouds" type responses.   :doge  Rahx, you've said "I doubt most people have HDMI 2.1 TVs" multiple times in this post.  Doesn't matter- it's a new standard that more and more TVs and monitors are going to have going forward. 

Some of you guys might want to check out your phone screens and see what they're running at- my Pixel 4 XL is 90hz and the difference when just scrolling up and down with it enabled is pretty noticeable versus 60hz.  So you may already have something like this available to compare.

I uh what

Looks pretty awesome at 60 fps to me. 

I'd certainly want to play it this way if given the choice.  Ditto for 120 fps- I'm sure Devil May Cry 5 SE on the next-gen consoles is amazing with 120 fps enabled.

Definitely- just don't see a reason to be against having better framerate options is all. 

BB 60 fps looks good but I honestly don't see how the original BB is unplayable because it's 30. Just something I don't care about unless I'm playing a fighter or arcade game.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #465 on: April 24, 2021, 12:32:28 AM »
4K? 120 fps? Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, and Street Fighter II Turbo are all in 224-240p and most are probably under 30 fps. And probably zero of them run on the base silicon of the SNES. You kids these days with your PlayBox Series 5 and your 144hz TVs... :hmph

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #466 on: April 24, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »
Does Twisted Metal 2 run in the high resolution mode of the PS1? NO! Does it run at 60 fps? lolol Does it have textures? Sorta!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #467 on: April 24, 2021, 01:08:55 AM »
I would kill for a quality remastering of TM2 for PC and modern systems.  Or even just a fixed version of the PS3 TM.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #468 on: April 24, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »
BB 60 fps looks good but I honestly don't see how the original BB is unplayable because it's 30. Just something I don't care about unless I'm playing a fighter or arcade game.
Just to clarify, i finished the game so obv. it's playable, i'm saying the bad framepacing (causing constant hitching and stuttering) annoys me and gives me a slight motion sickness, too.
So it put me off playing it again.

Since they could easily patch it for 60fps on PS5 there's really no excuse for Sony to keep ignoring one of their most iconic games, when they seem to patch everything else (they patched fucking Days Gone, ffs).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #469 on: April 24, 2021, 07:40:54 AM »

Even if your tv doesnt support 60fps im still sure 120fps gives you better performance even if your tv doesnt display 120fps

but maybe im talking outta my ass but Im pretty sure I looked that up once
This is tested on the video i posted and yes, even at lowers refresh rates, high FPS still reduces input lag and outdated information.
Though maybe on console you have to tie FPS to refresh rate, so i'm not sure it's possible to do.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #470 on: April 24, 2021, 08:11:50 AM »
Just to clarify, i finished the game so obv. it's playable, i'm saying the bad framepacing (causing constant hitching and stuttering) annoys me and gives me a slight motion sickness, too.
So it put me off playing it again.

Since they could easily patch it for 60fps on PS5 there's really no excuse for Sony to keep ignoring one of their most iconic games, when they seem to patch everything else (they patched fucking Days Gone, ffs).

there is speculation that the same lads who did the demon souls remake are doing a bloodborne remake/remaster next, but that might be a case of putting 2+2 together instead of anything concrete
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #471 on: April 24, 2021, 08:36:28 AM »
I thought BluePoint wanted to move to an original IP, after Demon's. :thinking

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #472 on: April 24, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
dunno, but Sony charging full price again for bloodborne knowing it will sell like hot cakes instead of doing a 60fps and 4k patch fits their MO these days (in fairness it's probably old enough that the textures might look like shit at 4k without any additional work so they might as well do a proper remaster, plus it's a guaranteed seller unlike trash like days gone remastered, which probably would sell 5 copies)
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: April 24, 2021, 10:27:41 AM »
4K? 120 fps? Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, and Street Fighter II Turbo are all in 224-240p and most are probably under 30 fps. And probably zero of them run on the base silicon of the SNES. You kids these days with your PlayBox Series 5 and your 144hz TVs... :hmph

Most sprite games from that era were 60 fps.   :P

It was most of the polygon games on the SNES and Genesis that had much lower framerates.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #474 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:55 AM »
Yeah the big deal with PAL even in SNES days is that it was capped at 50fps while USA/JP were 60fps. :wtf

Edit- This is a cool post: https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/comments/9f9r9q/testing_if_pal_snes_games_are_optimized_for_50_hz/

"Zero of them run on the base silicon of the SNES"

Wat

Pretty sure Unreal Engine didn't exist back then benji, they were still coding ASM to the metal. :wtf

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming/Introduction_to_assembly

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #475 on: April 24, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »
one of the reasons i'm not a framerate autisty tbh is probably because i grew up playing pal shit :lol
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #476 on: April 24, 2021, 11:37:07 AM »
50hz Sonic with the music slowdown. :doge
I still don't understand how the megadrive was so popular here everything ran like shit while Nintendo had fixed most issues by the time the SNES released. Anything not made by Rare on the N64 though   :holeup
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #477 on: April 24, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »

:kobeyuck

did they fix the music being tied to the lesser framerate in the ps1/n64 era cos I don't remember that any songs from Tony Hawk 1 or 2 sounded all wrong (it has been over 20 years tbf :doge)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:45:10 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #478 on: April 24, 2021, 11:47:03 AM »

:kobeyuck

did they fix the music being tied to the lesser framerate in the ps1/n64 era cos I don't remember that any songs from Tony Hawk 1 or 2 sounded all wrong (it has been over 20 years tbf :doge)
Yeah they fixed it later.

The second level of Sonic with the flickering lava is even worse.
In hindsight that probably gave a generation of kids epilepsy.

This is what you hear before you hit the floor foaming out of your mouth
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #479 on: April 24, 2021, 11:50:11 AM »
Another problem of PAL games (at least some of them) was the black bars on top and bottom, squishing the image vertically.  :-\