Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2085900 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15360 on: May 31, 2018, 02:05:52 AM »
Episode 5 is great too

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15361 on: May 31, 2018, 02:40:43 AM »
wtf its only 6 episodes :(

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15362 on: May 31, 2018, 02:48:26 AM »
It's split in half. Netflix did the same with Arrested Development Season 5.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15363 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:03 AM »
Finished up the last few episodes of AD season 5. Unfortunately it didn't get any better for me. It just feels like a show that is passing its relevance and acceptable quality point. We'll see if the 2nd half is any better when that comes.

Also watched the 1st half season of Unbreakable Kimmy this season. It was okay. Not my favorite half a season but episode 3 was pretty damn amazing and as good as anything they've ever done.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15364 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
Not understanding the negativity towards AD S5, a few episodes in and laughin 🤷‍♀️

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15365 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:49 AM »
Not understanding the negativity towards AD S5, a few episodes in and laughin 🤷‍♀️

That's cool. We all got different opinions. It just wasn't for me.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15366 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Didn’t mean to single you out, seems like most people are lukewarm on it at best

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15367 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
I'll watch the episodes again right before the 2nd half of the season airs to see if I'm being overly harsh.

I will say that Season 5 makes me respect Season 4 more though I still have issues with Season 4.

AD at this point just feels like when you get a reunion album from your favorite band from your formative music age. Like I really want to like it. And I can almost trick myself mentally into liking it. But I actually don't really like it that much.

When I watch AD season 1-3 even now, no matter how many times I've seen those episodes, my eyes and brain are fixated on the screen the entire time. When I watch season, 4 and 5, my mind wanders like a motherfucker and after an episode I often realize I tuned out during large portions of it.

The original one was a wacky smart comedy. Season 4 and 5 feel like a mix of a comedy and a drama. And I just don't think they execute that super well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:27:32 AM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15368 on: June 01, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
First two episodes of AD season 5 were really not good, this weird situation where they simultaneously had too much [constantly jumping between 5-6 different groups of characters without much setup] and too little [individual scenes felt like they dragged on for way too long]. And with all the characters split up, there's just wasn't a lot of really good interactions where they all play off of each other. They also spent too much time recapping stuff from season 4, that nobody really cared much about the first time around. At least episode 3 picked up a bit by bringing the characters back from Mexico and putting them together again.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #15369 on: June 01, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »
The problem with eps 1 and 2 is there's just so much recapping shit from s4. That's really what kills it.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #15370 on: June 02, 2018, 06:58:42 AM »
finished ozark. i wish it focused a lot more on the financial/laundering aspect and not try be a drama so much since the characters are all two dimensional stereotypes. cool to see jason bateman direct though

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15371 on: June 02, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Killing Eve is possibly the funniest show on television. Way funnier than Barry.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15372 on: June 02, 2018, 07:41:11 AM »
tiny props to Fox for changing their mind and airing the two leftover Lucifer episodes after all despite cancelling it and them both being standalones built entirely around the characters (which is why they were being held over for a fourth season if that were to occur)

an Ella episode that's also big on the mythology :uguu

and oh man at Neil Gaiman as God narrating that alternate universe episode that serves as an unintentional series finale :'( :heart :'( dem feels for a dumb silly show :-\

"smell ya later Lucifer"

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15373 on: June 02, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
MJ is sort of the opposite of Bill Cosby, in that the factual case against him was much, much weaker but his public persona was weird enough by that point that a lot of people were ready to believe it.
The evidence in both cases were extremely weak. Then there’s a lot of other things like actions and statements by the accusers and witnesses that make both sound like a cash grab by different folks. Most arguments against Michael boil down to “yeah but he did and owned some really weird shit, right???”

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15374 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »
Jackson probably did a lot of self harm to his image by what he kept totally private (with lots of it, like that Kobe story, not coming out for almost a decade after his death...Jackson's, not Kobe's) and then the stuff he would do so openly in public

though the biggest piece of evidence calling into question Jackson's behavior and parenting was the article i saw about how the once "Blanket" is apparently a big Marvel fanboy, if only someone had done something

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15375 on: June 03, 2018, 05:39:40 AM »
The way Killing Eve jumps between slapstick comedy, psychological sexual violence (my favourite type of violence, btw) and drama is really something. It reminds me of the mood-blending in South Korean films like The Host, where the comedy aspect doesn't detract from the drama.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #15376 on: June 03, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
Kimmy Schmidt S4 is great.
White talent :lol
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #15377 on: June 03, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
GOB: Um, hey how would you like me in a double-closet sexuality-switch two-hander float illusion. No credit, no money. Oh and you turn gay.

Michael: I'll pass.

GOB: Yeah, that's what I thought of you.

Michael: :thinking

:lol

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15378 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:39 AM »
lmao @ the big westworld reveal that it very obviously telegraphed from the first episode of the season. yawn

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15379 on: June 04, 2018, 02:28:48 AM »
holy shit I didn't think this show could get dumber but lo and fucking behold lmao

Tasty

« Reply #15380 on: June 04, 2018, 02:33:47 AM »
I actually thought this was the best ep of the season lol. Actually explained some shit, Valkyrie from Thor 3 got BTFO up finally after acting so smug all the time, and I just dig Anthony Hopkins and think the show isn't the same without him. Plus that awesome cheesy massacre scene.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:38:20 AM by Tasty Meat »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15381 on: June 04, 2018, 03:05:32 AM »
i dunno i thought the action scenes were somehow ever worse than the Nu Batman samurai scene from last week since they were all ensconced in super dark lighting this time in addition to the signature 1000 Nolan Cuts Per Shot™. it was cool for the four seconds that I thought they iced billy (LMAO jk he's completely fine??? after getting shot like six times what the fuck? lol) but i can't express how bored i am with the Ford narrative/Delores storyline that took this whole episode to finally say what direction it's going in.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still can't/don't believe the reveal is the true endgame. If that's really what this shit is selling I'm out. blackmailing/replicating users based on their behavior inside the park is so fucking low stakes and boring and makes absolutely no sense given the context and scale of Delos' implied reach and ability
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15382 on: June 04, 2018, 03:13:26 AM »
I will concede you're right that it's the best ep so far tho, and it did explain plenty, but it did so by having Ford clearly explain a ton of shit that was implied in previous episodes to Bernard. I guess it's cool that they cleared up the flashback from the top of the last episode? I dunno maybe it'll all tie together in the last three but this show feels like a sham

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #15383 on: June 04, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Silicon Valley actually moved forward a bit this year. The finale was quite good.
rub

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15384 on: June 06, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
S4 of iZombie is up on netflix. :rejoice
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:28:34 PM by D3RANG3D »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15385 on: June 06, 2018, 12:36:19 AM »
Killing Eve is possibly the funniest show on television. Way funnier than Barry.

Just started this, it’s good so far 👍🏻

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15386 on: June 06, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »

It gets so good, especially towards the end.

Soundtrack is killer too.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #15388 on: June 07, 2018, 04:21:26 AM »
rewatching arrested development from the beginning for the second time ever, although i'm now nervous about the new season based on comments above

Tasty

« Reply #15389 on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »
I finished AD 4 and 5, so I've been reverse-binging Robot Chicken. I've religiously memorized season 1-4, but have barely seen 5-8 (corresponded with my move to Boston and becoming an Adult™.) I got back to s4 so I've been doing some research and found Sweet J Presents, AKA "Robot Chicken Season Zero." It was an online show for Sony in like 2002 (which explains Sony Pictures producing RC for seasons 1-5.)

It's actually pretty cool how, like, even the latest episodes are pretty consistent with this style. Sure there's only so much you can do with stop motion toys, but the sense of humor, timing, and even animation quality is pretty damn good for a short-lived web show.

Amazingly, even with 12 of these episodes as reference material, basically every network and comedy sketch show under the sun rejected Robot Chicken until Seth McFarlane referred them to AS. And the rest is history.

I also had no idea Seth and Sarah Michelle Gellar have been friends since childhood, I thought she was just on the show a lot because they remained friends since Buffy (similar to Seth and Mila Kunis.) Speaking of, SMG and Kunis are credited in almost every single episode under bizarre titles (in addition to getting credited when they voice a character.) :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15390 on: June 07, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
S4 of iZombie is up on netflix. :rejoice

Mediocre season, final season is up early next year :fbm

Ravi is still the best character, Liv's "brains" were annoying this season and social studies creep to pile on the shite.

I'll just re-watch the first three seasons. :rejoice
[close]

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #15391 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15392 on: June 08, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »

It gets so good, especially towards the end.

Soundtrack is killer too.

Watched episode 3 last night

that oh fuck moment when she turns and smiles 😲
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15393 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Condor looks like it might be pretty good. In the first ep there is a sex scene, and you almost see some lady nips. Almost

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15394 on: June 10, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
expanse maintaining greatness  :rejoice

cara gee as drummer  :noah

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15395 on: June 10, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
New Arrested Development is terrible. It’s like they forgot how the original series was edited.
serge

Stoney Mason

Tasty

« Reply #15397 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
Hopefully the back half of AD s5 makes up for the first half. I'm still trying to keep an open mind since s4 got quite a bit better as it went on and all the threads started connecting, but with s5.1 being in the "traditional" format I'm not sure how well that excuse will work.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #15399 on: June 11, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »
Big props to Westworld for getting dumber and more needlessly confusing every single week with ease.

WTF episode did you just watch? Last ep was probably the best self-contained story yet, while still filling out minor but important plot threads along the way.
___

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15400 on: June 11, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
You must definitely allow WestWorld some crazy leaps in logic but overall it's still entertaining.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15401 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
This happens everytime. Genre show gets prestige tv trappings that fool a lot of ppl, they get sucked in and by the second season they realize they're just watching a syfy show but with 10x the money and talent.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:53:35 AM by toku »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15402 on: June 12, 2018, 12:11:55 AM »
I'm always more in the middle when it comes to the Westworld. I do think the show is slightly over-rated and the amount of critical attention the show gets relative to its quality is also slightly inflated.

But I also don't think its the dumpster fire show some people think it is.

My main complaint has now become more how the show seems to love its big moments but then characters start acting like dumbasses allowing them loopsholes to evade or get out of the situation. All shows do this, but in a show as contrived constructed as Westworld you can predict how the show will cheat itself out of these moments before they happen so that's kinda disappointing. The show is still certainly watchable and enjoyable even if it mostly feels like a never-ending litany of lucy pulling the football away before Charlie Brown can kick it moments.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15403 on: June 12, 2018, 01:34:24 AM »
it's trash, pretty at times, but still garbage.

that last episode  :lol who gives a shit about some dumbass fake indian? dude got a whole episode, why? geronimo and pocahontas can suck my hog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15404 on: June 12, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
Big props to Westworld for getting dumber and more needlessly confusing every single week with ease.

WTF episode did you just watch? Last ep was probably the best self-contained story yet, while still filling out minor but important plot threads along the way.

Agreed. From just a compelling hour of TV and structure point, I thought it was the best episode of the season.

Tasty

« Reply #15405 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
Yeah I wasn't thrilled for a side story thing but it all tied together nicely at the end.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15406 on: June 12, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
 It's cool that they spell out what the ghost nation is and cover some of the Maeve stuff but it didn't need to take an entire hour to get there. It's the best episode of the season so far because it was almost completely removed from every other storyline, which are all varying degrees of stupid or boring, but it took it's sweet fucking time. Always enjoy seeing Hanzee get screen time though

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15407 on: June 12, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
Ultimately I think there are two shows that kind of inherited the mantle of the type of TV show Lost was. Mysteries, misleading the audience, playing with the time line, etc.

Mr. Robot and Westworld.

All three shows remind me of each other in various ways despite plot wise having nothing to do with each other.

I think Westworld has gotten so popular because its like the cable version of Lost that came around at just the right time. I think Mr. Robot is a bit too artsy and weird (especially after the first season) in a way that Westworld isn't to capture the sort of mainsteam attention Westworld does.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15408 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
Another way Mr Robot and Westworld are alike is that they both suck ass after the first season.
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15409 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
lol I like all three.

But I hear you that the first season of each is the one that makes the most sense if story flow is important to a person. That first season being the best is very common with TV shows since they make up so much of it as they go. The first season tends to be the most planned one by comparison.

I liked the entire run of Veronica Mars but it never got close to the plotting of that first season again.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15410 on: June 12, 2018, 02:38:28 PM »
I imagine the finale of season 2 will redeem a lot of story decisions as things make sense "The Door", "The Valley Beyond".

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15412 on: June 12, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Another way Mr Robot and Westworld are alike is that they both suck ass after the first season.
calm down homo.

Stoney Mason

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15414 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
I'm gonna be a complete dickhead here, and state that if Assimilate posts something and Filler likes it, it's 100% likely I'm gonna hate it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15415 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
I'm gonna be a complete dickhead here, and state that if Assimilate posts something and Filler likes it, it's 100% likely I'm gonna hate it.

That's not being a dickhead. That's common sense.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15416 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
Anyone catch the show finale of Sense8? i saw it's up on Netflix. Clocks in around 151min.

Going to watch it this weekend.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #15417 on: June 13, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
My favorite nextflix original. Haven't seen it yet though.

Tasty

« Reply #15418 on: June 13, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
Let me know if there's any good sex scenes in it, especially group ones. :drool

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩