Author Topic: Official Rock Band Thread  (Read 135505 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Official Rock Band Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2007, 03:34:04 AM »
I can carry a tune

spoiler (click to show/hide)
to its grave
[close]
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2007, 03:34:27 AM »
you would be crushed beneath my high school choir-trained vocal skills, honky tonk
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2007, 03:37:31 AM »
did they castrate you

i heard that helps if you snap them off when they're young

sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2007, 03:38:04 AM »
:o
duc

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2007, 03:41:36 AM »
GHIII was totally a decent warm up for this game

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2007, 03:47:42 AM »
GHIII was totally a decent warm up for this game

at this point I look back at the time I spent playing GHIII as sleeping with a slump-breaker

Rock Band is my one true love and I look forward to building a lasting relationship together
乱学者

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2007, 03:48:45 AM »
I hope I am not crushed by disappointment when i finally open it tomorrow, especially after all this shit-talking
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2007, 03:49:42 AM »
I'm playing GH3 right now. Whatever, it still rocks.

If I lived on my own, I would've bought Rock Band today.
AMC

« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2007, 04:09:03 AM »
Also worth mentioning are a couple of really awesome gameplay refinements.  First, using 'overdrive' (star power) no longer eliminates your ability to charge your overdrive bar until your bar drains.  That's right, you can charge it, while using it.  This allows you to make it go even longer if you know where to use it.  Totally rad.  Also they (finally) implemented a per-play rather than per-song money system, i.e. if you want to play the songs you prefer over and over again in world tour mode, you keep making money for unlockables.  No more of this bullshit where you have to get a higher star ranking or that play was completely wasted.

ok, EXIT LIGHT ENTER NIGHT i'm off to bed

« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »
what DLC are you getting? I got the T. Rex song (Bang a Gong) and it's rad. I'm holding off til next week's Bowie pack for additional songs, I think though.

T. Rex was my only song download for the week. I'm psyched about Moonage Daydream and My Iron Lung in the coming weeks!
野球

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
it is actually super awesome to chain several overdrive phrases together and KEEP THE POWER OF ROCK ALIVE
乱学者

Rman

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2007, 12:36:33 PM »
Not to troll on the PS3, but I was at Virgin Megastore and there was NO PS3 Rockband boxes.  There was about 13 360 boxes in display, though.

Poor PS3 :'(

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
maybe they got sold out?

the progression of thread is hilarious.  from drinky waving the sf pride flag, to him picking up a non-bundled copy.  oh the power of rock band!  :rock
pyh

« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2007, 04:09:15 PM »
Work is suck.  If it did not enable me to pay for rock band i would have no reason to be here

God it's been ages since I was dying to skip out on work and play a game! RB4LIFE :rock

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »
Opening box soon!

I'm so gay, I went to the music store and bought a $20 mic stand so I could play World Tour by myself

I also bought a little bag of cheap guitar pics because I've been reading here and there that the new guitars actually work better if you use one

so glad the music store dude didn't ask me what any of this was for

so gay
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:04 PM »
you bought picks??? holy fuck :rofl
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
What? how does a Pick make it better? lol - this I gotta see
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »
Guess it makes it easier to strum up and down on the new strum bar, I dunno

if it doesn't, they were only $3 for a bag of 12 so who gives a fuck
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2007, 04:23:33 PM »
And to think I defended you last night.
AMC

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2007, 04:27:47 PM »
It's only $3 worth of gay

That's at least $17 cheaper than buying some special ed joystick to move a cartoon girl around and make her slapfight a little more precisely
sup

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
Haha, nice try.
o_0

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
I'm taking this fake Rock Star thing to the limit
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »
I'm taking this fake Rock Star thing to the limit

:bow :bow

it's better to burn out than just fade away!
duc

DJ_Tet

« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
Work is suck.  If it did not enable me to pay for rock band i would have no reason to be here

God it's been ages since I was dying to skip out on work and play a game! RB4LIFE :rock

This.

However, work is now done until Friday.  Now I shall drum.
TIT

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »
Playing Knights of Cydonia in GH3 reminds me that if they announce Muse as Rock Band DLC, I will buy the game immediately.
AMC

« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
Playing Knights of Cydonia in GH3 reminds me that if they announce Muse as Rock Band DLC, I will buy the game immediately.

That's the only song in GH3 that I'm interested in.  :'(
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
It really is MUCH better suited to Rock Band. The DRUMS! The VOCALS!

That being said, it's very fun in Guitar Hero. I like this iteration of GH just as much as the others. They really upped the difficulty the exact right amount for good GH players.

Except for Raining Blood.
AMC

« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
Cherub Rock is in Rock Band and GHIII, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Knights of Cydonia show up as DLC for Rock Band.

Can't wait for Moonage Daydream next week, and My Iron Lung in December.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
There's more than Cherub Rock in both games. There are at least 5 songs that are in both, I think.
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »
A lot of the songs are so BORING to play - The Who's song in particular. There is this 3 minute gap of NOTHING. I'd imagine that's a solo for the bass player.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
Well, Harmonix really seems to take criticisms into consideration from reading the interaction they have with their forum.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the DLC tailored to specific instruments for solo play, and labeled as such.
sup

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
A lot of the songs are so BORING to play - The Who's song in particular. There is this 3 minute gap of NOTHING. I'd imagine that's a solo for the bass player.

I like the song so much that it didn't really bother me.  That, and when you are playing in that song, you are rocking, hard. :rock

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #212 on: November 21, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »
Yea, I understand that most of the songs are tailored with each instrument in mind. But some songs are good to play. I liked doing Highway Star.
fat

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2007, 06:12:52 PM »
Im still not picking this game up. Seems like some lame BANDwagon thing.
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2007, 06:25:23 PM »
Room for one more, darling.
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »
Highway Star :rock
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
Hey Prole,

[youtube=425,350]LYKfG9gAe3o[/youtube]
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2007, 08:18:37 PM »
I like how it's easier to pull those hammer-ons and such - the ones where you can just tap the button quicker. They're more noticable now.
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2007, 08:22:27 PM »
Do you just mean easier to see? Many people ragged on GH3 because they were TOO easy to pull off.
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2007, 08:23:46 PM »
Yeah, easier to see. Maybe even easier to do. I haven't played 2 or 3.
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »
I figured that. Yeah, HOPOs were almost impossible to pull off in GH1, but they've gotten easier in each successive installment. I think Rock Band's window is comparable to GH2.
AMC

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2007, 02:24:41 AM »
Ha, the drums pissed off my drummer friend so much he quit playing and went to the bass. 

I feel old after playing this.  I don't know half the bands.  I had to Google them.  Now I want to do bad things to that girl from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2007, 02:43:19 AM »
Old? With bands like The Who, Rush, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult?
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2007, 02:53:49 AM »
50% old, how's that
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2007, 03:06:25 AM »
I had to RMA my guitar. :gloomy
乱学者

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2007, 03:39:27 AM »
gay
AMC

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2007, 03:40:39 AM »
Maybe it's a good thing I have to wait until next year.  I know 3 people that have gotten bad guitars.  Like, personally know.  Sounds like they shipped a PS3-sized bomba.
serge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
My guitar is fine so far, fingers crossed.  I just don't think you can bang away on the strum bar like you can on the GH controller. I think you have to hold the strum bar between your fingers instead of jamming your thumb down on it.  The fact that the very first thing you see when you open the box is a big red flyer telling you what to do when your shit fucks up does not give me hope for the longevity of these toy instruments.  When I was unpacking, there was a piece of cardboard wedged into one of the drum pads, and when I removed it a foam disc of some sort came out with it.  I have no idea what it does, but I'll bet it's important.

Remember, this is EA.  They want your shit to break before Rock Band II comes out next year so you'll buy all new shit.

OBSERVATIONS:

(I'm including my musician friend's thoughts here as well)

1.  Where the hell am I going to put all this shit?  I'm going to have to invest in a giant duffle bag, or an embarrassment sheet to cover it up when not in use.

2.  That flimsy USB hub will be the first thing to crap out,  The power plug barely fits into it, and is very loose.  Plus, the cords are like 3 inches long.

3.  The interface is clumsy and annoying.  For a game obviously designed to appeal to casual party groups, they would've had to work to make it more unintuitive than it already is.  My friend and I ended up just going with the default rockers most of the time.

4.  The mic is really decent.  I might try to do some recording on the computer with it to see if the quality is there.  Singing on Easy is, well, easy, but playing an instrument at the same time is hard.  I can get through some stuff by faking the sounds, but your eyes are all over the screen if you don't know the words by heart.  It's fun when you do, though, and you get a neat sense of accomplishment.

5.  I like the new guitar, personally.  The strum bar makes it easier for me to strum up and down, instead of always downstrumming like I did with the GH controller.  My friend prefers the GHII controller.  I've ignored the solo buttons so far because when you're playing on Easy they're kind of pointless.  The guitar parts on Easy are noticeably easier then in GH, which in my case is a good thing because I'll be doing vocals at the same time in a "solo" Band World Tour.  But I can see where they'll get boring if that's all you play by yourself. I may bump it up to Medium.

6.  Again with this unlocking songs bullshit.  Have an option for all the songs to be available right off the bat for those of us who just want to fuck around in Quick Play.  A happy medium would be having to unlock songs in BWT, and having a "Play All" option in Quick Play.
Now I have to do "homework" to get some stuff unlocked before my friend comes back over this weekend.

By the way, is there an unlock cheat in GHII for 360 that works?  And has anyone found one for this yet?

7.  My friend's thoughts on the drums (he's been drumming IRL since he was ten):

"I don't know where you're reading all these comments, but whoever thinks this game is really going to help them play the drums is in for a rude awakening when they get behind a real drum set.  This may help a little with establishing a proper sense of rhythm, but the placement is totally different, and they've left out important things like the high hat.  I'd love to be in the music store when the Rock Band nerds come in and hop behind the drum set thinking they're going to be the next Buddy Rich just because they played a video game on the Hard setting."

"Have fun with these while they last, because they're going to break.  You might want to get some mats and cut them to fit the pads so you don't dent them, but I don't know how that would affect the sensitivity.  The kick pedal seems pretty sturdy, but overall they're not built to last."

"I keep wanting to play the actual song, and not just the notes scrolling on the screen.  When I come back over I'll try it on Hard or Expert and see if it gets any better for me.  There needs to be an option to play all songs freestyle, where you can turn off the meter for the drums or vocals or guitar or whatever and everyone else still gets to play the normal game."  I agree here, and hope they patch it for at least some of that.

"There should be an option to turn off the kick.  It's way too complex for people who are just going to get together and play once in a while on the weekends, and they're just going to get frustrated.  There's no easing into it.  It's like if you had to play all the buttons on the guitar right from the start.  The only people who are ever going to get coordinated enough on the drums to get through the songs are the ones who own the game, and that sort of defeats the purpose of a casual party game."  Also agree, and hope that patch it.  Shouldn't be too hard, as the demo units in stores had the kick turned off.

He also plays guitar (though not as well as the drums), but he really likes the guitar/bass parts and doesn't have the same issues, because "When you're playing the guitar or bass parts, there's no question that you're just playing a fun video game with a toy guitar, but they tried to go a little too realistic with the drum parts - even though the controller setup isn't realistic at all."

We were talking about what EA and Harmonix would do with the sequel (you know it's coming), and we both agreed there will probably be a keyboard peripheral.  He seems to think they'll come out with another (more expensive, of course) drum set with a pad layout more closely resembling an actual drum rig, along with an actual kick pad.  He said the way the kick plugs into the pad set now leads him to believe that they might come out with an optional kick pad attachment you'd just plug into the port on the back, to give the bass drum a more tactile feel.

Bottom line is we both liked it a lot, but he was not a fan of the drums.  I haven't even attempted to play them.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 06:01:51 PM by Eel_O_Brian »
sup

« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
My father-in-law were rocking out last night, me on the axe, him on the skins. Fuck yeah!
野球

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
Eel -

If you find a duffel bag that works well, let me know.

Agreed on interface and guitar.

There's a button code to unlock all songs (disables saving though). GameFAQs

What's the big deal if the drums are dented?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
Eel -

If you find a duffel bag that works well, let me know.

Agreed on interface and guitar.

There's a button code to unlock all songs (disables saving though). GameFAQs

What's the big deal if the drums are dented?

Thanks for the code.  I'll look for a duffel this weekend and let you know what I find.  I think the thing with drums denting is it might start to tear the foam covering, or it might throw the sensitivity of the drums off or something - I'll ask Rick what he meant by that.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »
Yeah, gotta agree with my friend, not having much fun with the drums so far.  Really, really hope they patch it so you can disable kick and have autokick, like an "easy-easy" setting.  It's just too much like work.  I also wish the individual pads were height adjustable so I could make the high hat...high.
sup

Rman

« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2007, 10:11:57 PM »
I was going to pick up a bundle last night when one of the store clerks let me know that two kids bought 20 units and packed them up in a U-Haul truck.  Who the hell knows what those two kids were doing with that many bundles.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:21 PM »
Getting ready for some big ebay disappointment, probably.
sup

« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
Getting ready for some big ebay disappointment, probably.

Yup. I'm still seeing 360 bundles around, so the ebayers will be disappointed. No PS3 bundles, though.
野球

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2007, 01:40:29 AM »
i heard someone took off with 10 bundles at my local fry's.  guess they're doing the same thing. 
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:10 PM »
I got to play with a full band tonight at a friend's

Drums are bulky, loud, and not that fun - I also felt like the drumsticks were gonna snap at any moment so I had to be cautious

Guitar is good

Vocals ROCK, I looooove the vocals. Though I only did easy, it was so much fun.

Vocals > Guitar > Drums
fat

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2007, 04:17:04 AM »
i agree, vocals are highly underrated.  the pitch detection in the game is spot on.  even when you change octaves it picks it up very well.  most group fun i've had since wii sports!
pyh

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
My drummer friend Rick came over again last night, along with another friend (Jesse) who has also played drums before.  Jesse had a better time with the drums, but only after he messed around in the calibration settings and got them to his liking.  He still didn't warm up to them much.  They were saying that maybe people who had never played real drums before might be better at the game since they wouldn't have to force themselves to break certain "real world" habits.  By the end of the evening we were just playing vocals-guitar-bass parts and the drums were pushed into a corner.  I'll keep trying them for a while, but if I remain frustrated I think I might just sell the drum kit on ebay.

I agree with vocals being the best part.  Lots of fun, especially when you get to the freestyle parts and you can just make a bunch of noise.  It's fun to mock songs you don't like by singing them in weird voices and still getting over 90% by staying on pitch.

Bass can be very boring, depending on the song.

My guitar is still holding up.

The interface is even more of a fucking mess when you add another person to the mix.  Again we ended up just going with default rockers because we could never figure out how to get our created characters to show up with any consistency.  Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. 

That USB hub is a complete piece of crap.  It kept bugging out and losing connections all night.  If I keep the drums I'll buy a better one, but if I sell them there's no point in using it - I'll just use the three usb ports on the 360 for the guitar/bass/mic.

sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2007, 02:12:58 PM »
I started Expert Guitar, and OMG I was actually doing it! I did about 9 songs before Hand That Feeds destroyed me. I think it's more of a testament to how weaksauce Rock Band is compared to Guitar Hero, but OMG I'm gonna keep at it.

BONUS points for Rock Band for having harder difficulty achievements unlock easier ones!
fat