Author Topic: The official Mass Effect thread  (Read 28651 times)

Himu

Re: The official Mass Effect thread
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »
First. I'm still playing it. 32 hours in.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »
Someone help me out in regards to inventory.

Now, I have the inventory and item system (mostly) figured out, but I still do now know enough about the game to manage it effectively.  I know there is an item limit, and I do not want to be constantly running up against it.

Ok, basically, can I use the same 3 characters for the whole game?  If I can, I know that I can basically turn any extraneous weapons into gel without worry.  I don't have to worry about properly equipping anyone else or anything, right?

Similarly, does it pay off to have more than one of each type of weapon/armor mod?  Should I keep a maximum of 3 of each actually useful mod?

So far, I have been skipping on turning anything into gel because I just don't know if I will ever need to use my old guns to equip other party members.

And when do I start rolling in the money?  I am still poor on Feros.
serge

Himu

« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »
Don't always turn your weapons into gel. By the end of the game, a lot of that extraneous shit can give you millions of credits.

You start rolling in money when you get a higher level. On Noveria, I started out with 200k, when I beat the place I had 700k. I was level 32 at the start and ended it at level 39.

You can use the same party the whole game, in fact you get an achievement for doing so.
IYKYK

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »
Someone help me out in regards to inventory.

Now, I have the inventory and item system (mostly) figured out, but I still do now know enough about the game to manage it effectively.  I know there is an item limit, and I do not want to be constantly running up against it.

Ok, basically, can I use the same 3 characters for the whole game?  If I can, I know that I can basically turn any extraneous weapons into gel without worry.  I don't have to worry about properly equipping anyone else or anything, right?

Similarly, does it pay off to have more than one of each type of weapon/armor mod?  Should I keep a maximum of 3 of each actually useful mod?

So far, I have been skipping on turning anything into gel because I just don't know if I will ever need to use my old guns to equip other party members.

And when do I start rolling in the money?  I am still poor on Feros.

if you want to keep some of your upgrades and weapons, just get rid of the duplicates.  or constantly outfit your entire party with more recent equipment and gel the old shit.  i tend to not keep anything lower than a III.  in fact, i'm planning on purging everything below V and selling the higher level gear.  i've yet to experience the item limit and i've beat 2 story planets and about 10-15 side quests.
pyh

TVC15

« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »
Okay, some other questions.  Some of these, while not direct spoilers, can be considered spoiler-y for those early in the game, hence the tags.  Anyone that has played past Citadel Station will be safe.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. When do I encounter the first romance subplot?

2. I am on the set of 3 planets after the game starts on Citadel.  I am doing Feros.  Which would be best to do next?

3. When do I get the achievement for completing citadel station?  I am guessing I go back there to do more shit since I haven't gotten it yet.

4. Okay, once I complete the set of 3 post-Citadel missions, approximately how much of the game have I played, percentage-wise?

5.  Are there any other long term game considerations I should be paying attention to right now?
[close]

Thanks!
serge

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »
Answers:

1. Romance subplot can be advanced one tick per story planet. You can go with the guy or the alien girl who you don't have yet.

2. Go to Artemis Tau to get the last party member. It's also short.

3. Dunno. However, go back after each story mission to get more sidequests.

4. Dunno.

5. RIGHT BUTTON ON THE VEHICLE IS A CANNON. Also, do the "Rogue VI" quest immediately once you get it.
[close]
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Okay, some other questions.  Some of these, while not direct spoilers, can be considered spoiler-y for those early in the game, hence the tags.  Anyone that has played past Citadel Station will be safe.

1. When do I encounter the first romance subplot?

2. I am on the set of 3 planets after the game starts on Citadel.  I am doing Feros.  Which would be best to do next?

3. When do I get the achievement for completing citadel station?  I am guessing I go back there to do more shit since I haven't gotten it yet.

4. Okay, once I complete the set of 3 post-Citadel missions, approximately how much of the game have I played, percentage-wise?

5.  Are there any other long term game considerations I should be paying attention to right now?
[close]

Thanks!

2. Do Noveria last after Feros but do the one in Atemus Tau first. A lot of people get stuck in Noveria because of the boss fight and it's really tough at the outset of the game.

4. You'll be near the end of the game after those. It's best to balance between story missions, sidequests, and exploring.
[close]
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
Should I abort Feros for now and go to the planet with the last party member before finishing Feros?  A mid-mission side mission, as it were. 

Also, who is the dude I can have a romance plot with.  I want donger in mah dude's butt
[close]
serge

Himu

« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »
If you're a chick you have the choice of going for Carth and Liara, the blue chick you don't have yet.

If you're a guy you can only go for Liara or Ashley, no Carth for you.

I don't see a reason why you should abort your mission. Just beat Feros and then get her.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
What?  that SUX.  Why are you allowed to dyke it out but not crave cock?  -1

Oh well, how do I trigger the Liara line?  She is space hooker, right?  I did the first quest for her, but no boners for dada
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
that's kinda lame! i was hoping to lead DIETER SHEPARD into a menage-a-merde with some nasty-ass space alien duder. wrex maybe!
duc

Himu

« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »

Oh well, how do I trigger the Liara line?  She is space hooker, right?  I did the first quest for her, but no boners for dada

Naw, that's not Liara. She's a totally different blue slut.

Prole: Krogan's have 4 testicles. Could you handle that much alien frog meat?
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
i couldn't, but DIETER could! he is a german space bear!
duc

Himu

« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2007, 04:31:49 PM »
Dieter is a good name. He's got a diet for space alien spooge which has been denied by Bioware's homophobic creeps
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2007, 04:38:26 PM »

Naw, that's not Liara. She's a totally different blue slut.

Prole: Krogan's have 4 testicles. Could you handle that much alien frog meat?

Is Liara the party member I don't have yet?

I hate Ashley.  She is space marine ass whore, right?
serge

Himu

« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »
yes she is the one that is racist spaace marine slut. i don't mind ash because she doesn't hesitate to pop a cap in someone's ass and plus i like racist space marine sluts so she's my pick. too bad my lesbo can't mack her

and yes that's liara.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
Bioware has said they wanted to add the gay romance into the storyline but didn't have time to add it.

In addition to being a racist space marine slut, Ashley is also a Jesus freak. Worst character ever.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:00:59 PM by Synthesizer Patel »
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
where'd they say that
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
where'd they say that

Some interview somewhere. I just remember they said that it wasn't anything homophobic, it was just something they didn't plan for originally and didn't have time to finish and they hope to have SPACE GAYS in sequels.
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2007, 05:04:15 PM »
when do you guys expect mass effect 2 and 3? I'm not expecting the end of the trilogy this gen tbh
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
If they leverage existing tech they can probably turn a game around in 18 months. That said, I agree, esp. since EA means multiplatform means engine revamp.
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:57 PM »
I wanted Space Anal Sex with Space Demi :(
serge

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
BEARS IN SPACE
SPACE BEARS
MISHANAUTS
乱学者

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »
I highly suggest having your charm level maxed out before landing on virmire\

the item limit is 150 and I believe people not in your party level up even when they are not with you
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »
I already had my charm maxed out. I'm good. And yes, people level up when not with you.

"Nothing like a nice stroll on the beach...blasting bad guys with my boomstick!"

"This is my kind of vacation: lots of scenery, and lots of killing!"

I love these guys.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:32:28 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2007, 06:01:48 PM »
Bioware has said they wanted to add the gay romance into the storyline but didn't have time to add it.

In addition to being a racist space marine slut, Ashley is also a Jesus freak. Worst character ever.

They had time to add a lot of things, and apparently remove them soon after.
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »
Do you get anything if you're able to
hold the crazy girl that's trying to commit suicide in the Citadel?
[close]
  I saved my game after my first try and found out that it was a mistake 'cause I can only get the option to
give her the sedative
[close]
.  I'm assuming that if you do absolutely correct from the outset you'll be able to touch her.  I was actually thinking about going back to an earlier save and try it again but I just said fuck it and moved on.  Did i miss out on anything important?

Tacos

Himu

« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »
I have not encountered that quest hitler.
IYKYK

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »
giving her the sedative is the right option.  you get all cuddly with her right after.  you didn't do that?
[close]
pyh

TVC15

« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2007, 06:14:41 PM »

Neither have I.  Where is it?  HOW MUCH SHIT AM I MISSING
serge

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »

Neither have I.  Where is it?  HOW MUCH SHIT AM I MISSING

this is another citadel quest.  i got it when i revisited the citadel after the feros mission.
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22:49 PM »
orrible game
fat

Himu

« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
You guys do realize that the quests you get are determined by what you made your past history, right? I'm a spacer who was a war hero. What about you guys (hyp and hitler)
IYKYK

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2007, 06:43:46 PM »
I didn't choose war hero, I know that.  But it makes sense that it's entirely based on what you chose at the beginning because one of the options is Shepherd telling the girl how his parents were killed by space pirates....or something like that.
Tacos

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
You guys do realize that the quests you get are determined by what you made your past history, right? I'm a spacer who was a war hero. What about you guys (hyp and hitler)

you're right.  i picked the colony boy background which is why i got that side quest.
pyh

Himu

« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
OMFG OMFG @ Virmire. GAME OF THE YEAR

hyp: That's spacer. That's the same background I have.

I didn't choose war hero, I know that.  But it makes sense that it's entirely based on what you chose at the beginning because one of the options is Shepherd telling the girl how his parents were killed by space pirates....or something like that.

Yeah that's not my background at all. With my background, my parents are still alive.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
I'm the Spacer who's a Sole Survivor. cool that those options affect more than just the intro dialogue crawl. I totally wanna replay with a different class, background, and alignment!
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2007, 07:16:27 PM »
I'm a Ruthless Spacer who gives no fucks about anyone but himself (reminds me of a certain handsome someone with a fetish!)
fat

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2007, 09:03:49 PM »
I love this game. I can't get enough. Yes, it's KotOR 3, but that's like saying "HEY WE GET THREE CHRISTMASES INSTEAD OF ONE", which is fuck awesome. The combat is weird- I never know when I've been shot- but it's just something to do in between saving the galaxy and being a general bad ass.My character is a Sole Survivor, so he's all hero like and generally okay but then sometimes he FREAKS THE FUCK OUT and goes crazy on somebody.
wha

Himu

« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »
This game is nothing like KOTOR aside from the fact it's sci fi. The stories are similar, but that's about it.

IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
- I agree
- No its exactly like KOTOR!
- [Shoot Himuro]
萌え~

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:16 PM »
He's right - Wrex is way better than that lame robot

HEH HEH HE CALLED THEM MEATBAGS THAT ROX
fat

GilloD

« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »
This game is nothing like KOTOR aside from the fact it's sci fi. The stories are similar, but that's about it.

Himmy. It'slike the same fucking game. Same game play, same dialogue, same feel. And that's great.

Anyway, that first Mako section is fucking excrutiating. It's like trying to drive 3 cars at once while drunk. I hate it.
wha

GilloD

« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »
Day 3: Still loving it. Driving the Mako is completely distinguished mentally-challenged. I feel like I need a special joystick. Am I missing something or is it really this hard to control? Also: What the fuck is with auto save? It saves every like 9 hours. I haven't had to save this much since the last time I played a Sierra adventure game. I'm constantly losing 20, 25, 30 minutes of gameplay because I presumed it would save before a big event. Ugh.
wha

Himu

« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
It will tell you when it saves.

Mako controls fine to me
IYKYK

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
i must've picked up about 3-4 new quests by revisiting citadel AGAIN.  this game is full of surprises. 
pyh

GilloD

« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
SOmething that drives me crazy about Charm and dialogue options:

The quest for the Biotic compound. At the start, you dialogue with Alliance HQ to chat about the compound. If you have a high enough Charm, you're given the option to imply that you'll attempt to resolve the situation peacefully. But at the compound itself, my Charm skill was not high enough to select the peaceful options even though it was high enough ti imply that I would do so. Bummer.
[close]
wha

Solo

« Reply #227 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:15 AM »
i finally delved into Mass Effect last night. I am playing as a custom Shepard, and I am Earthborn, a Sole Survivor, and a Vanguard. I just reached the Citadel.

First impressions:
- holy moly, this game has the most incredible and detailed character models I've ever seen, and the animation is pretty swell as well. I am very impressed - this is one of the few games in which the final product matches the early, doctored screenshots.
- the locales and environments themselves are also eye-poppingly gorgeous. The way HDR and other effects are used is amazing. Aesthetically, it really is the real KotOR 2, in pretty much every way. Its basically what a next-gen KotOR would have looked like. Framerate hitches and tearing haven't even been noticeable, although texture pop-in is unmissable.
- jesus titty fucking christ awesome music. Most memorable score in a game in ages. Very Vangelis-like, as if Blade Runner had an alternate score that was never used.
- love the gameplay, which was the thing I was most worried about. I for one prefer how Mass Effect is like 10% RPG and 90% third person tactical shooter, as it worked out beautifully, and its actually a blast to play.
- incredibly improved direction of the cutscenes and dialogue scenes over previous games. Its like watching a big, cheesey, epic space saga, and I love it. Playing without subtitles is the only way to go. Some great VA talent in there too.
- really surprised and impressed at the depth of the menu systems, and the codex in particular, which was an unexpected treat.
- the only thing not blowing me away at this point is the story, in fact. Then again, Ive not progressed far, and Ive spent a lot of time simple drooling over the environments. Before shutting it off for the night, I spent several minutes just watching the planes zoom by overhead in the citadel, lol.

So far, its better than the hype. Kudos, Bioware!

Himu

« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2007, 12:20:57 PM »
mass effect is actually more 50% rpg 50% shooter. You can't get anywhere simply shooting shit.
IYKYK

GilloD

« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
I finally get what people mean about the side quests. I spent like 8 hours clearing out my journal and by the end I was in "Get in and get out" mode. Planetary exploration is fun the first dozen or so times, but it fails to be anything other than a collectathon. The quests are all pretty similar and when you realize there are only like 4 or 5 different building layouts, it hurts. That said, I spent 8 hours doing it. I love it. I got over my problem with the Mako, even. But it does have an incredible learning curve.
wha

Solo

« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »
mass effect is actually more 50% rpg 50% shooter. You can't get anywhere simply shooting shit.

So far thats all Ive done. Rush, take cover, pop shoots, repeat.

Himu

« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
You'll understand later.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2007, 01:54:47 PM »
Haha, Himuro just sucks :lol
PSP

Himu

« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2007, 01:57:39 PM »
Um no. Pretty much everyone here who has put time into the game agrees that Biotics are essential.
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »
Either way, its still the most action-based RPG Ive ever played, and its all the better for it. Levelling up/dialogue trees aside, it doesnt even feel like an RPG.

GilloD

« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
Um no. Pretty much everyone here who has put time into the game agrees that Biotics are essential.

Once weapon skills are leveled, most enemies drop before I can even swap into the biotics menu. It plays like an FPS if you don't fuck up your skill trees, Himmy.
wha

Himu

« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »
I said early on. There's a difference.

At the point I'm at, any enemy can be downed in a matter of seconds. but at the beginning of the game, if you go in to fights with guns blazing without using Biotics, chances are you will get fucked. Especially if you don't use stuff like Overload to get rid of enemy shields.
IYKYK

GilloD

« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
I said early on. There's a difference.

At the point I'm at, any enemy can be downed in a matter of seconds. but at the beginning of the game, if you go in to fights with guns blazing without using Biotics, chances are you will get fucked. Especially if you don't use stuff like Overload to get rid of enemy shields.

I didn't have any biotics forever. You're a liar. Is there Spectre class armor or just guns?
wha

Himu

« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
I think this all depends on your class. Me, I am an engineer and can only use pistols accurately, so I had to rely on my tech/biotic skills early on.
IYKYK

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »
Am I the only one that is primarily interested in the lesbian sex scene? Lets talk about that. In fact, lets draw pictures!