Author Topic: The official Mass Effect thread  (Read 28653 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: The official Mass Effect thread
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2007, 08:40:03 PM »
there's an achievement for it!

Himu

« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »
Am I the only one that is primarily interested in the lesbian sex scene? Lets talk about that. In fact, lets draw pictures!

IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »
just cause your character has downs doesn't mean you have to give it to Liara, too.

actually, Liara looks kind of like a blue Doug

乱学者

Himu

« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2007, 09:54:54 PM »
she looks liek sonic imo
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »
she looks liek sonic imo

aren't you taking art classes? sonic?
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
also the dialog options should be

"rip it"

"dip it"

"tear it"

"share it"
duc

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2007, 10:23:50 PM »
also the dialog options should be

"rip it"

"dip it"

"tear it"

"share it"

she is blue
乱学者

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »
What the fuck. The main story is like 20 minutes long.
wha

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »
Yeah, I know. I beat it in two days. lolz

GilloD

« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
Virimire was epic shit. Awesome.
wha

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
Is it possible to not kill the Thorian?  I saw someone else playing that segment, and each of the big nerve things had a couple triangles bracketing a section of the health bar, as if to indicate a target amount.  Like when you're mixing the antidote at Peak 15.

When I got to that point, nothing came up.  So is it a matter of choices, of having enough paragon points, or was it just glitching the first time I saw it?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »
Some options are blacked out because you dont have enough Charm / Intimidate points pumped in

I havent done that quest, so I can't answer that part
fat

GilloD

« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:58 PM »
Is it possible to not kill the Thorian?  I saw someone else playing that segment, and each of the big nerve things had a couple triangles bracketing a section of the health bar, as if to indicate a target amount.  Like when you're mixing the antidote at Peak 15.

When I got to that point, nothing came up.  So is it a matter of choices, of having enough paragon points, or was it just glitching the first time I saw it?

I don't think it's possible to save it. Also, what antidote? I missed that quest.

Anyway, I finished it today. Virmire is the highlight, IMO.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's got great agonizing decisions and real, serious consequences for your actions. It's the only part of the game that felt "bigger" than Shepard, which is weird for a game about galactic struggle. What happens if you save the council in the end? Can you still elect someone to it?
[close]

I wish the game had a Volus buddy. And I fucked Ashley and the Consort. There should be a "Pimp" achievement
wha

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2007, 01:50:48 AM »
GilloD: On Peak 15, before you make all the people there enemies, and assuming you haven't done the neutron thing that kills everyone, you can speak to a doctor about people who got poisoned during the accident.

You go into a sealed lab and mix an antidote using a "stop the cursor at the right point on the bar" minigame.

Solo

« Reply #254 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:51 AM »
Fuck I love this game. Played another bunch of hours last night. I decided not to do Noveria first, but to get my final party member. So I went searching for Liara. Naturally, she ends up being in the final planet in the entire cluster that I visit  :-\ I think that planet, Therum, is the most visually impressive one yet (the one with all the lava and geth structures). Wow. Great boss fight after finding her too.

But the best thing that happened to me occurred just before I stopped playing for the night. After getting Liara, I decided to return to the Citadel to finish up some sidequests. Now, Im sure Im probably the billionth person to do this by this point, but whatever, it made me LOL. Upon leaving the Normandy and entering C-Sec, I was immediately approached by a reporter who had heard of my great deeds. She wanted an interview, so I obliged. Now, being that Im playing as a hardcore dick, AKA a renegade, I was an asshole to her. The interview ended with me getting the option "its time to shut you up". Now, I figured Shepard was going to curse her and move on, so I was caught totally off guard and just about died laughing when he hauled off and bitch slapped the reporter  :lol "Im Spectre Shepard, bitch!" Oh, Mass Effect, how I love thee.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:10 AM »
mass effect is actually more 50% rpg 50% shooter. You can't get anywhere simply shooting shit.

So far thats all Ive done. Rush, take cover, pop shoots, repeat.

I'm at an optional area now where I had to give up on the fight; the enemies inside this building would kill me in seconds and my guns do next to nothing to them.  In the beginning of the game, it was easy to go in guns blazing.
ど助平

Robo

« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »
But the best thing that happened to me occurred just before I stopped playing for the night. After getting Liara, I decided to return to the Citadel to finish up some sidequests. Now, Im sure Im probably the billionth person to do this by this point, but whatever, it made me LOL. Upon leaving the Normandy and entering C-Sec, I was immediately approached by a reporter who had heard of my great deeds. She wanted an interview, so I obliged. Now, being that Im playing as a hardcore dick, AKA a renegade, I was an asshole to her. The interview ended with me getting the option "its time to shut you up". Now, I figured Shepard was going to curse her and move on, so I was caught totally off guard and just about died laughing when he hauled off and bitch slapped the reporter  :lol "Im Spectre Shepard, bitch!" Oh, Mass Effect, how I love thee.

[youtube=425,350]FESOPPP5YEQ&[/youtube]

:rofl
obo

Solo

« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2007, 12:01:51 PM »
 :lol

Yes, thats it! I burst out laughing uncontrollably at that.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
The only thing I ever use Overload for is Geth Armatures, those bitches kill.
UK

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
just finished virmire last night. :o

i think i'm on the last story mission and i've cleared all side missions possible including the collect-a-thon mineral one.  i'm at the 38 hour mark.  whew.
pyh

Himu

« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
I'm 39 hours in and i haven't finished all the side quests

i'm not sure if i should finish the side quests or just beat the game
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
just finished virmire last night. :o

i think i'm on the last story mission and i've cleared all side missions possible including the collect-a-thon mineral one.  i'm at the 38 hour mark.  whew.

hurry up so we can shit around skate or crackdown
fat

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »
did you get enough votes on your vid?
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »
no : (

vote from your work - does it work by IP? i'm only at 8 votes
fat

Himu

« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2007, 01:45:52 PM »
hyp still hasn't played crackdown with me
IYKYK

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
 :-\ sorry.  mass still erect.  demi:  i'll post another vote for you.
pyh

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »
woo hoo, i just boned Liara.   :hump

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »
woohoo nicca now lets finish up C-Down later tonight
fat

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »
soon bro, let me finish the last planet.  i should be done after tonight.
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »
CMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
fat

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
why you trippin, you hit the 50k mark!  take a breather or something, achiev...crack whore
pyh

Himu

« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »
when i beat mass effect you and i are goign to play crackdown and gears of war!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »
Regarding the ally achievement:

Do you have to do all the sidequests with this character? Because the sidequests in this game kinda suck once you start doing them one after another. At this point I just want to beat the damn game. I got the Completionist achievement.
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #273 on: December 05, 2007, 09:44:47 AM »
Ok, started and finished Feros last night. Pretty awesome. Pain in the ass final fight though. Those damn Asari clones! Anyways, my party is at level 21, and it just now finally feels like my Shepard is becoming a bad ass. Lift is much fun to play with. Off to Noveria next, then Virmire!

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »
Regarding the ally achievement:

Do you have to do all the sidequests with this character? Because the sidequests in this game kinda suck once you start doing them one after another. At this point I just want to beat the damn game. I got the Completionist achievement.

not only do you have to do the majority (i'm thinking over 75% of sidequests) but you should have had the same character with you since EARLY in the game.  if you swapped out party members at any time, i say screw it and just try it on another playthrough.
pyh

Himu

« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2007, 02:43:55 AM »
I beat the game yesterday, with a total clock of 48 hours.

Overall, I say I loved the game. I have problems, but it was still a blast. I'm not sure if it's my game of the year though. Actually, I'm kinda stuck on that subject at the moment. Between Portal, Persona 3, and Mass Effect I can't fucking choose which game I enjoyed the most. They're all so good. Portal and P3 are definitely the more polished, better games but I'm of the opinion that there's a distinguishable difference between best and favorite. I would laugh at someone who said Star Wars was the best movie ever, but I could respect if it was their favorite.

That said, here's my run down:

+ Amazing presentation for an rpg. Mass Effect's cutscenes feel like the next step up for rpgs.
+ This is the ONE game that makes you feel like a space badass. It is one of the few games where I actually feel important, and that *my* decisions actually affected something, which is rare.
+ Space lesbian sex awww yeah.
+ All of the story worlds are fucking amazing.
+ Good story overall, with tough decisions you have to make.
+ Good characters.
+ Excellent music.
+ Extremely fun battle system.
+ Good difficulty curve. Even with overly powered Spectre weapons I still died once in a while if I wasn't careful. I can't wait to play it on Hardcore mode.
+ A step forward past Kotor and Jade Empire, two games I only *liked* and didn't end up *loving*.
+ High replay value. I can't wait to start a new game.

- The game is in, some ways, a step back for Bioware.
- The characterization is very anti-Bioware. Most of the game, the characters say the same damn thing. In past Bioware titles you could talk to your party members at any time and usually they would have something new to say. They also regularly made a comment when you made a decision and, sometimes, fought over your decisions. Mass Effect doesn't have this. Hell, you can only really talk to your party members on the Normandy. Bioware dropped the ball here, and imo, is the game's biggest flaw, but despite that, I loved the characters (except Carth...I mean Kaiden). They all had their quirks, their flaws, but remained likable throughout, and unlike say, FFXII, even though they lacked characterization you still felt like you could connect with them.

- Another step back for Bioware is the sidequests. Sidequests are one of my favorite things about Bioware games. They tend to varied and interesting. I did all the sidequests I could find in ME and most of them were lacking. What I like about western rpgs is that their quests tend to be story oriented and things that infuse a little more "oomph" into the game's plot and themes. Mass Effect ditches this for fetch quests and collectathons. I mean, you had some of those before, but not to this degree, and they certainly didn't eclipse the story based sidequests either.

- Non-story worlds are boring and lacking. They are all riddled with mountains, they have no goddamn terrain diversity, there's no wild life to speak of sans 2-3 planets, and all of them tend to have a similar layout: anamoly, debris, some random hideout where mercenaries are, with the same damn boxes with the same damn corridors. When Bioware hyped up the space travel, I thought they'd put more thought into it.

- The main story is extremely short and lacks meat.
- The ally achievements are, for the most part, a burden.
- Texture pop in is ridiculous
- The auto-save feature is useless.
- Some people may consider this a bad thing, and that's the learning curve. The battle system definitely has a learning curve.
- The inventory system SUCKS.
- The sidequests expose one niggle and that is repetition. Reviewers complained about how Assassin's Creed is repetitive, but Mass Effect is much more so. Going from planet to planet gets dull and the reason I did all the sidequests I could find *this* time is because I don't think I could stomach doing it on later playthroughs.

I would say Mass Effect is a flawed masterpiece. It does a lot right, but the few issues most have with it bump it down a few notches from what it could have been, had those issues been worked out. I really wonder what ME would be like if Bioware had oh...6 more months to develop the game. It definitely feels rushed in some spots.

I'd give the game an 8.5, which on my scale, is a great game.
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
Finished up Noveria, which rocked. The boss fight was giving me fits until I realized it was boss fight cliche #7 - kill all the minions first. Once I figured that out, the Matriarch was a breeze. Now I only have Virmire left. Ive decided to do a bunch of sidequests first before heading there. I finished up my session by landing on the moon and beginning the Rogue VI quest.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
I would say Mass Effect is a flawed masterpiece. It does a lot right, but the few issues most have with it bump it down a few notches from what it could have been, had those issues been worked out. I really wonder what ME would be like if Bioware had oh...6 more months to develop the game. It definitely feels rushed in some spots.

I'd give the game an 8.5, which on my scale, is a great game.

yup i agree that it felt rushed.  i can definitely see the potential in the sequel though, nonetheless i still stand by calling it my goty solely based on how well the game sucked me in and kept me wanting more.  the sidequests didn't bother me much either.  if you spread them out between story missions it's a much better experience.  the dungeon layouts could have been more varied though.
pyh

Solo

« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2007, 07:39:03 AM »
Alrighty, so I did 2 things last night.

First, I completed the Rogue VI mission, and was pleasantly surprised to get a specialized class out of it. I chose Shock Trooper.

Then I visited and completed Virmire. Oh. My. Lord. Easily the best part of the game so far, and that is saying a lot. I
killed Wrex and let Kaiden die
[close]
. The whole level was incredible, the way the music kept building up, all the dramatic stuff, and the Sovereign and Saren encounters. Just so awesome.

Ill probably beat the game tonight, cant wait!

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
That is a badass picture. I'd bone him.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2007, 04:53:00 AM »
I just finished this game and it was quite superb because I had sex with the alien girl.

The main storyline seemed VERY short though. Guess I have to go back and do all the sidequests, I'm looking forward to restarting with the female lead.

Also, the texture/model popin was wayyyyyyyyyyyy outta control, I am more than happy to deal with a few extra seconds of load time if it means I don't get that horrible jarring effect.

Solo

« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
So I finally beat Mass Effect last night, woot! Game of the Year, without a single doubt in my mind.

I picked up playing after Anderson had helped the Normandy get free. So, first thing I did was give Ashley a good renegade lay, under the veil of "ZOMG we might not see tomorrow, better let me hit it tonight, lolz". She seemed pleased.

Then it was off to Ilos. Not as impressive or as fun as the previous planets. However, the retun to the Citadel was incredibly cool. The graphical effects for fire in this game are insane. The battle in the massive hangar was epic.
I chose to sacrifice the Council
[close]
. I was a bit disappointed with the Saren fight, so I
was very happy when he rose up again as Sovereign for another round
[close]
. Awesome ending cinematics and music, and I really loved the set up for Mass Effect 2, which, based on my ending, would be
humans taking control of the Council and going to war with the Reapers
[close]
. Aw hell yeah, shit just got real! Shepard = badass of the entire galaxy. And the end credits song is made of pure win.

Easily the best gaming experience I've had in a few years. Kudos, Bioware. Bring on Mass Effect 2!

Himu

« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »
The atmosphere and shit in at the final world was amazing. Holy shit was I geeking out. I was cheering and shit, I was really into it. THEY WERE KICKING ASS.

Solo

It's possible to convince Saren to shoot himself in the head, thus not having to fight him at all until he's taken over by Sovereign
[close]
IYKYK

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »

It's possible to convince Saren to shoot himself in the head, thus not having to fight him at all until he's taken over by Sovereign
[close]

So would that be intimidate or charm?

Himu

« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »
I heard it can be both.
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
The atmosphere and shit in at the final world was amazing. Holy shit was I geeking out. I was cheering and shit, I was really into it. THEY WERE KICKING ASS.

Solo

[close]

Yep, Ive read that. I shall be maxing out intimidation next time and trying this.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #286 on: December 11, 2007, 01:11:42 PM »
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/mass-effect-amasses-one-million-copies-sold/18805/?biz=1

:bow :bow :bow

glad to hear people didn't sleep on this.  let the EA whoring commence!
pyh

bluemax

« Reply #287 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »
How is there really any combat curve? It feels like super simplified Gears of War with powers. The only time I seem to die is when I rush in and get shot by every enemy. If I use cover even a little the fights haven't been overly challenging.

I'm playing Veteran fwiw. There wasn't really any controls hump to get over. I'm on the second story planet and I'm something like level 16 and I feel like a complete bad ass so far. I'm playing as a soldier as well with my partners being Carth Onasi, er Kaiden and Tali.

I do feel my teammates are pretty shallow so far, but the world feels a lot richer than KoTOR.

Also I checked an achievement guide before starting and planned my 3 play throughs ahead of time in order to get all the achievements.
NO

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
I can imagine the game having a steep learning curve if all you've played are racing games and maybe halo 3 before you picked up mass effect. The combat in mass effect is very similar to gears though, so having played nothing but gears before mass effect, I thought it was pretty easy.

Solo

« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2007, 09:10:12 AM »
Alright, so I got the Completionist/Soldier Ally/Krogan Ally achievements last night (hit both on Noveria), and beat Noveria, Virmire, and Ilos. Im back on the Citadel, and like 30 mins from beating the game for the second time. The funny thing is that even though this time I spent a ton of time doing sidequests for the Ally achievements, here I am sitting near the end of the game, with my game clock at 15:30. I beat the game the first time in 16:00, and since Im half an hour or so from finishing it for the second time, I will again be hitting 16:00. I still can't fathom how people are getting 50+ hours out of one single playthrough. I could beat it 4 times in that amount of time, and I think that if I were crawling thru it that slow, I wouldnt be enjoying it half as much.

Mass Effect - the best sub 20 hour RPG ever. Actually, its probably my favorite RPG regardless of length anyways. Quality over quantity.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
my first playthrough was 40 hours.  but i did EVERYTHING possible.
pyh

Himu

« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »
48 hours here
IYKYK

Solo

« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2007, 08:36:45 AM »
Finished up my second playthrough last night, and got the Paragon achievement (at the very last possible moment, too!). 16:10 for the first playthrough (more story-oriented) and 16:27 for the second playthrough (more sidequest/getting Achievements-oriented). As I've already said, GOTY, without a single doubt in my mind. Now I feel compelled to put it on the shelf for a while, lest I risk ME overkill. Definately a game I'll play once a year or so for many years to come, ala DX.

Until then, Mass Effect!

bluemax

« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2007, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm at 15:30 hours on my first play through and I've done about a third of the extra sidequests, and 3 out of 4 planets so far. This game is pretty damn short, but a lot of fun. It feels longer than it is.
NO

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »
Errr bump.

I'm quite surprised at how much I like this.I spent an hour or so in the Citadel just doing sidequests but I seem to be having a problem in finding a good team.I currently have Ashley and Tali on my party but Tali is rather useless besides the occasional biotic or two.Ashley is pretty solid thankfully,I'm going to put in Wrex once I figure out how change my party manually.

I'm very careful how I talk to females,I don't want to be a lesbian  :lol
Boo

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2007, 03:27:44 AM »

[youtube=425,350]FESOPPP5YEQ&[/youtube]

:rofl

Wow, this makes me want to play this game 24/7. lmfao.
HLR

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #296 on: December 27, 2007, 03:36:25 AM »
Holy shit, that video was incredible. That was so unnecessary. :lol :lol :lol
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2007, 05:22:59 AM »
ok WHAT THE FUCK

CajoleJuice: i just ripped through like some entire planet
CajoleJuice: and then this ship lands with a ton of dudes
CajoleJuice: and im like oh fuck
CajoleJuice: and i die
CajoleJuice: and it puts me all the way back at the beginning
Mupepe: hahahaha
CajoleJuice: and i cant figure out how to just go back on the ship
CajoleJuice: WTF
CajoleJuice: GAY
Mupepe: you're doing sidequests?
CajoleJuice: I COULDNT GET BACK ON THE SHIP
CajoleJuice: HOW THE FUCK DO I GET BACK ON THE SHIp
CajoleJuice: I WAS LIKE MAYBE IF I ERADICATE EVERY LIFEFORM ON THIS PLANET MAYBE THEY'LL LET ME ON THE SHIP
CajoleJuice: ARGH
CajoleJuice: /capslock
Mupepe: hahaha
Mupepe: i have no idea how to get back on
Mupepe: i tried to figure that out
Mupepe: and i got pissed and just ended up doing the mission
CajoleJuice: yea thats what i tried to do
CajoleJuice: and then i JUST WASTED TWO FUCKING HOURS
AMC

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #298 on: December 27, 2007, 05:32:30 AM »
you gotta be in the mako to return to the normandy

"lol your doing sidequests"
萌え~

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #299 on: December 27, 2007, 05:34:44 AM »
I realized afterward it wasn't a sidequest. So I guess that's why I couldn't go back to the ship.
AMC