Author Topic: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread  (Read 318367 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Bore Anime & Manga Thread
« Reply #2100 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
Okay, I read what's available. It's pretty good, but there's only six chapters and there's pretty long breaks in between each one.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2101 on: February 22, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
I was thinking that with 6 chapters they'd be Berserk long.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2102 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »
I was looking on MangaFox and the first chapter was posted November 2008 and the sixth was posted December 2009. They're fifty pages long, but that's at least two months in between each chapter.  :'(
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #2103 on: February 22, 2010, 03:34:07 PM »
so Gundam Unicorn 1st episode is out

Bebpo

« Reply #2104 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »
I hear it has a cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers

...and 2nd ep isn't until the fall :X

treythemovie

« Reply #2105 on: February 22, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
I was looking on MangaFox and the first chapter was posted November 2008 and the sixth was posted December 2009. They're fifty pages long, but that's at least two months in between each chapter.  :'(
Not surprising considering that its apparently published in a bimonthly magazine.

« Reply #2106 on: February 22, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »

Yeah? I'm waiting until I get my blu-ray on March 12th.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #2107 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »

Yeah? I'm waiting until I get my blu-ray on March 12th.

Same.  But yeah, they air it on PSN ahead of the dvd/bd release.

cool breeze

« Reply #2108 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
holy shit Gundam Unicorn is incredible

I will definitely buy this on blu-ray on March 12th.  I was already planning to, but the first episode already surpassed what I was expecting, and I had high expectations for it.  So, so, so good.

I hear it has a cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers

...and 2nd ep isn't until the fall :X

:'(

All I'd say is, the first episode was thoroughly satisfying in terms of completeness.  If I didn't need to study for two tests this week, I would watch it again right now.  By Fall I'll end up watching the blu-ray version a couple times too.  No worries here.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #2109 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »
I was gonna post Teppu but I see Himu beat me to it. Good stuff and like Otoyomegatari it's released bi monthly, so it's waiting time. And don't be queer MCD read this shit. So I've been watching a bit anime lately and one of them has been HeartCatch Pretty Cure, I normally wouldn't watch a show like this but it's Pretty Cure Casshern and it's really entertaining.

FUCK TON colorful though, prepared to blinded by the colour onslaught. I really like the ending theme:

[youtube=560,345]9ct2ZFB7fIQ[/youtube]

Don't judge me.  :'(
Boo

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2110 on: February 22, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
And don't be queer MCD
too late junpei, too late.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: February 22, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
WOW, they really did a bang-up job on making Unicorn look like something out of the 80s.   :o

I also went and downloaded the Gunbuster 1 and 2 OVA series.  Do I:

a) Watch them both
b) Just watch the original
c) Forget both and get the movies

???
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2112 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:29 PM »
Uhhh, why would you watch the movies which have been EDITED.  Watch the OAVs.  They are AWESOME.  The second one is not quite as AWESOME as the first but it's still great.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2113 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
The OVA series is greatness, especially the ending. The second OVA is pretty good, but [aside from some FLCL awesomeness] it doesn't quite stack up.

Both are worth watching of course.

Don't bother with the edited movies.  :yuck
dog

Himu

« Reply #2114 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »

wait. 50 page chapters and you managed to read all of those chapters in just a few hours between me posting it? wtf
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:45:13 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2115 on: February 22, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
Lyte, you should just watch the OAVs.

That being said I did find the first few eps of Gunbuster 2 to be kind of boring.  I never finished it but I hear the last 3 eps are awesome and where all the good stuff is.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2116 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
Uhhh, why would you watch the movies which have been EDITED.  Watch the OAVs.  They are AWESOME.  The second one is not quite as AWESOME as the first but it's still great.
The OVA series is greatness, especially the ending. The second OVA is pretty good, but [aside from some FLCL awesomeness] it doesn't quite stack up.

Both are worth watching of course.

Don't bother with the edited movies.  :yuck
Lyte, you should just watch the OAVs.

That being said I did find the first few eps of Gunbuster 2 to be kind of boring.  I never finished it but I hear the last 3 eps are awesome and where all the good stuff is.

OVAs it is!  Just making sure that the movies weren't some sort of awesome better-paced compilation and that the second Gunbuster wasn't crap.
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2117 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »
Gunbuster 2 picks up a lot once some major revelations (that tie in closely with the first series) come to light about halfway through.  Both are so, so awesome.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2118 on: February 22, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »

wait. 50 page chapters and you managed to read all of those chapters in just a few hours between me posting it? wtf

Took about an hour, I guess. Although I did skip some of the detailed descriptions of MMA moves and whatnot.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #2119 on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:04 PM »
so, is this Teppu thing good?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2120 on: February 22, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »
so, is this Teppu thing good?

Yeah, it's pretty good. Not really anything new to this sort of manga though, except that it kind of mixes up the characters a bit. On the other hand, Natsuo = Love.
dog

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #2121 on: February 22, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »
Damn, Gundam Unicorn had some good, good music. Reminded of ZOE a bit. Great character designs, like lyte said very 80's. Good shit all around.
Boo

Himu

« Reply #2122 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
Gundam Unicorn owns
IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #2123 on: February 23, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
I will also post about gundam unicorn and how I liked it
萌え~

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2124 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:52 AM »
Downloading now, will post tomorrow. Gundam Unicorn.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2125 on: February 23, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
Unicorn was really, really good.  I was a little confused at first about who was on what side, but it almost seemed intentional at times.

Now I want to go watch more Gundam shows.   :lol
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2126 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:49 AM »
From what I've heard, if you're a big-time Gundam fan and have seen all the mainline series then Unicorn is a lot easier to follow.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2127 on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »
Yes, it is totally UC fan service.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #2128 on: February 23, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
I had no idea that Unicorn was out. This will be the first anime that I watch this year. :)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2129 on: February 23, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »
Waiting for the DVD here since I don't own a Triple and don't pirate shit.
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2130 on: February 23, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
I thought that Unicorn was supposed to be the first in the series, from a continuity point of view, but they reference the One Year War and Char and all that stuff.

Anyway, recommend me some more Gundam to watch now.  I'm not sure if I'd be able to take the original series at this point, sorry.  I have read the Viz Comics cel comic adaption of Stardust Memory and saw a lot of Wing back in the CN days, but didn't care much for the latter.   

Also still have Code Geass ready to be watched...

GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE.  You're buying it anyway...watching it early is just like a preview!   8)  One that will run at a higher resolution than the DVD you're going to buy.  :pimp
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:45:17 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #2131 on: February 23, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
You've never watched any Gundam, lyte? :o

Give the original a chance. Just watch the movies instead of the actual episodes. I think I watched them for the first time like 2 years ago and I had no problems with it.

I'm sure Himuro and distant will be in here soon, but 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memory are my favorites so far.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2132 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »
Just watched it and its now officially the 4th UC Gundam series worth my fucking time.

So awesome  :o

it also has this slow like feeling (especially the fights, human or mobile suit), but it looks really good and as lyte says feels old school.

I like the main character (huge plus since i couldn't stand amuro in his beginnings) and the others involved in this so far

spoiler (click to show/hide)
except the classmates, esp that girl who obviously has a crush on him.
[close]

That cliffhanger was so fucked up and i'm actually pumped for the next ep

but 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memory are my favorites so far.

add in Chars Counterattack and thats my UC list   :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:35:24 AM by Purple Filth »

Beezy

« Reply #2133 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
I haven't seen that yet. :(

« Reply #2134 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:35 AM »
I'm sure Himuro and distant will be in here soon, but 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memory are my favorites so far.

Movie trilogy is good, Zeta TV series is great, ZZ TV series starts out horrible but gets a lot better about halfway through. Finish things up with Char's Counterattack and you'll be caught up for Unicorn.

I love 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket is well done, and 0083 is basically Top Gun(dam)... mindless plot but fuck awesome animation and action.
野球

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #2135 on: February 23, 2010, 02:38:30 AM »
I haven't seen that yet. :(

You should since its a nice "wrap-up"

Movie trilogy is good, Zeta TV series is great, ZZ TV series starts out horrible but gets a lot better about halfway through. Finish things up with Char's Counterattack and you'll be caught up for Unicorn.

I love 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket is well done, and 0083 is basically Top Gun(dam)... mindless plot but fuck awesome animation and action.

Still need to see the Zetas one day...

« Reply #2136 on: February 23, 2010, 02:40:53 AM »
You get a better understanding of one of main characters in Unicorn by watching the Zetas in addition to the original MSG trilogy. The Nahel Argama also first appears in Zeta as AEUG's flagship.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:45:06 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Purple Filth

« Reply #2137 on: February 23, 2010, 02:52:12 AM »
You get a better understanding of one of main characters in Unicorn by watching the Zetas in addition to the original MSG trilogy.

if your talking

"Audrey" then i know some stuff since i read it before  :-[ (Audrey Burne is not her real name and she's a Zabi).

If it's Marida then i dont know much about her except that shes supposedly a clone of a character from ZZ (recently read on that).

And while Full Frontal just got a name drop i have some idea about him as well.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:01:40 AM by Purple Filth »

Beezy

« Reply #2138 on: February 23, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
Okay, that fucking owned. 00 Gundam ethered. Why can't more anime be like this? And when will we get more?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2139 on: February 23, 2010, 04:33:03 AM »
I thought that Unicorn was supposed to be the first in the series, from a continuity point of view, but they reference the One Year War and Char and all that stuff.

Anyway, recommend me some more Gundam to watch now.  I'm not sure if I'd be able to take the original series at this point, sorry.  I have read the Viz Comics cel comic adaption of Stardust Memory and saw a lot of Wing back in the CN days, but didn't care much for the latter.   

GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE.  You're buying it anyway...watching it early is just like a preview!   8)  One that will run at a higher resolution than the DVD you're going to buy.  :pimp

The continuity is:

First Gundam (the original show)
MS Igloo 1 & 2 (take place concurrently with the original show)
The 8th MS Team (ditto)
War in the Pocket (takes place in the last weeks of the One Year War)
Zeta Gundam
Gundam ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Unicorn  (takes place a couple of years after Char's Counterattacks, but the plotline centers around the origins of the UC timeline)
Gundam F91
Crossbone Gundam (manga only but one of the most popular spin-offs)
V Gundam

The other Gundam series are all alternate universes that take place outside the original timeline.

To get a good sense of Unicorn's background, I would recommend the original Gundam movie trilogy, the Zeta movies (if you can torrent them),  and Char's Counterattack.  You can get all the info you need from Wikipedia, though, if you don't want to go through all those.

As far as quality, my personal favorite series are MS Igloo, War in the Pocket, and The 8th MS Team.  They're also great in that you can enjoy them without having to know all the background about Gundam and worrying about missed references.  They work great as stand-alone series, they are fun to watch,and they are relatively short.  MS IGloo is six eps, War in the Pocket is four, and 8th MS Team is 13.  I don't really recommend 0083 unless you're a mecha animation freak - the animation is glorious, the designs are cool, but the story is just nonsensical if you're not a Gundam otaku since it's meant to tie in the original show with the events of Zeta and ZZ.

It has the best female Gundam character, though - Cima Garahau, the Mayfly of Space.

I LOVE U CIMA

CIMAAAAAAAAA
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:38:41 AM by Ichirou »
PS4

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2140 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
Might as well ask this here...what's some good anime for someone that doesn't like anime? I went through Cowboy Bebop a little while back and that was pretty cool. Don't know where else to go though (think I've watched a bit of Ninja Scrolls but can't remember if I liked it or not...)
___

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #2141 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »
mature shows like legend of the galactic heroes, berserk and monster might do the trick.

cool breeze

« Reply #2142 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »

yeah, that is about what I would have recommended. 

Movie trilogy of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, Zeta TV series, and Char's Counterattack in that order.  ZZ isn't that necessary to fully understand what is going on in Unicorn or the general UC plot, not that it's bad or anything.  The other ones mentioned are great series but also more individual tales in the UC rather than affecting the main plot line.

And Unicorn is better if you've seen those series and a fan of Gundam in general.  In the first few minutes you see
Char's helmets from 0079/MSG and his uniform from Char's Counterattack.  Even before that they are teaching the events of Char's Counterattack in the school
[close]

Also, War in the Pocket (0080) is still one of my favorite if not favorite and parts of Unicorn reminded me of it.  A big reason I like it is because the focus was on civilians living on a space colony.  Other than telling a nice story, the style change meant the sense of scale of mobile suits was that much greater.  Even a Zaku seems like a huge and destructive force in 0080, and most of the battles are slower paced with much more detail.  Plus it features Gundam Alex, which is one of my three favorite mobile suits in any Gundam series.

btw, if you think you want to watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 series instead of the movie, it isn't exactly worth it.  The movies are better and make changes for the better.  Like, when the rx-78-2 first enters the earth atmosphere in the series, he fucking throws a giant bag in front of the Gundam.  I think in the movies he just has fans that super cool it as it falls.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:41:59 AM by swaggaz »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2143 on: February 23, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »
mature shows like legend of the galactic heroes, berserk and monster might do the trick.

These, plus anything by Satoshi Kon or Hayao Miyazaki.
dog

Purple Filth

« Reply #2144 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »
While not a fan of UC it was cool seeing all the references i do remember and some of the name drops  ;)

« Reply #2145 on: February 23, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
You get a better understanding of one of main characters in Unicorn by watching the Zetas in addition to the original MSG trilogy.

if your talking

"Audrey" then i know some stuff since i read it before  :-[ (Audrey Burne is not her real name and she's a Zabi).
[close]

Yeah, I'm talking about Audrey. She's not just a Zabi, she's the heir to the entire Zabi legacy.
[close]
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2146 on: February 23, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
Only watched a little bit of it so far, but Unicorn is pretty awesome.
dog

Himu

« Reply #2147 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Might as well ask this here...what's some good anime for someone that doesn't like anime? I went through Cowboy Bebop a little while back and that was pretty cool. Don't know where else to go though (think I've watched a bit of Ninja Scrolls but can't remember if I liked it or not...)

Now and Then, Here and There (11 ep show)
Berserk (26 episode show)
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (2 hour show)
Perfect Blue (movie)
Millenium Actress (movie)
Tokyo Godfathers (movie)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:31:19 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

« Reply #2148 on: February 23, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Planetes? It's refreshing seeing hard science in anime. It does have some wacky jappy moments, though.
野球

Himu

« Reply #2149 on: February 23, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »

The continuity is:

First Gundam (the original show)
MS Igloo 1 & 2 (take place concurrently with the original show)
The 8th MS Team (ditto)
War in the Pocket (takes place in the last weeks of the One Year War)
Zeta Gundam
Gundam ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Gundam Unicorn  (takes place a couple of years after Char's Counterattacks, but the plotline centers around the origins of the UC timeline)
Gundam F91
Crossbone Gundam (manga only but one of the most popular spin-offs)
V Gundam

The other Gundam series are all alternate universes that take place outside the original timeline.

To get a good sense of Unicorn's background, I would recommend the original Gundam movie trilogy, the Zeta movies (if you can torrent them),  and Char's Counterattack.  You can get all the info you need from Wikipedia, though, if you don't want to go through all those.

As far as quality, my personal favorite series are MS Igloo, War in the Pocket, and The 8th MS Team.  They're also great in that you can enjoy them without having to know all the background about Gundam and worrying about missed references.  They work great as stand-alone series, they are fun to watch,and they are relatively short.  MS IGloo is six eps, War in the Pocket is four, and 8th MS Team is 13.  I don't really recommend 0083 unless you're a mecha animation freak - the animation is glorious, the designs are cool, but the story is just nonsensical if you're not a Gundam otaku since it's meant to tie in the original show with the events of Zeta and ZZ.

It has the best female Gundam character, though - Cima Garahau, the Mayfly of Space.

I LOVE U CIMA

(Image removed from quote.)

CIMAAAAAAAAA

Excellent post.

To get a sense of Gundam Unicorn, watching the original movie trilogy, 0080: War in the Pocket, 0083, 08th MS, Zeta and Char's Counterattack would be advisable.

My favorites are the original movie trilogy, 0080, 08th MS and 0083.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:32:40 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

« Reply #2150 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
I'm still mad that I missed out on MS Igloo. Stupid Honneamise line...  :maf
野球

Himu

« Reply #2151 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »
I've NEVER seen MS Igloo.
IYKYK

« Reply #2152 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
It's a CGI series focusing on the grunts of the One Year War. The first "season" came out in North America as part of the Honneamise line on DVD, and it was super expensive. I think I was a poor graduate student at the time so I passed on it. It's now out of print and even more super expensive.
野球

Himu

« Reply #2153 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
I didn't even know we had gotten it.
IYKYK

« Reply #2154 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
Nevermind, it came out here in January 2008. I guess I just didn't feel like dropping $70 on some crappy CGI.  :(
野球

« Reply #2155 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Oh yeah, Funimation put out a flier mentioning that a Blu-ray complete collection of Eden of the East is coming. :rock
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2156 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
Oh yeah, Funimation put out a flier mentioning that a Blu-ray complete collection of Eden of the East is coming. :rock

:rock
dog

« Reply #2157 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
The second EoE movie will be out while I'm in Tokyo. Might go watch it.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #2158 on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »

Shouldn't you watch the 1st one before you do?  ^^;

« Reply #2159 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »

Shouldn't you watch the 1st one before you do?  ^^;

I'll find a way.
野球