Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184910 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #19740 on: May 16, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
The ending of Armageddon is better than any of the Nolan BATMEN movies.  Real talk.

:hitler

Contra's right, though. You may not have seen Armageddon in 15 years, but I guarantee you still remember the tearful montage it ends with. Unlike, for example, Two-Face.
乱学者

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19741 on: May 16, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
Two Face ???

We're not talking about Batman Forever
vin

Himu

« Reply #19742 on: May 16, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »
I don't rememeber shit from Armageddon except for Aerosmith, but I clearly remember everything in Begins and TDK. I really enjoy Nolan films. Don't get his haters. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19743 on: May 16, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
Eh, I've enjoyed most of his movies but I get how Nolan would grate on people, and his Batman movies in particular.  His movies are relatively humorless, he doesn't direct action scenes all that well, his scripts tend not to hold up great under scrutiny, etc.

That said, Contra and Treesong are getting dangerously close to AWESOM-O/LeBron territory.

Bebpo

Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #19744 on: May 16, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
Kings of Summer was nice coming of age movie.  Nothing too amazing, but was definitely enjoyable and well made.

Really bummed to hear everyone down on Sacrament.  Trigger Man, House of the Devil, and Innkeepers are some of my favorite horror films of the last decade.  Still will see Sacrament, just low expectations.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19745 on: May 16, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Nolan makes movies that are as shallow as summer blockbusters, but with none of the self-aware fun that makes that kind of movie worth going to.

They sure look pretty tho.
SRY

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19746 on: May 16, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
oh man that first kill in Trigger Man was just so good.  I completely forgot about it until just now
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19747 on: May 16, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Odds are Interstellar is less fun than both of McConaughey's last two projects

It better be! I don't watch scifi to have fun.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #19748 on: May 16, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
oh man that first kill in Trigger Man was just so good.  I completely forgot about it until just now

The tension in Trigger Man is incredible.  You're on the edge of your seat for the entire film after that part.  That's why I really like Ti West's style, he's a great tension builder. 

Hopefully his next film after The Sacrament will go back to horror and impress again.

Himu

« Reply #19749 on: May 16, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Seriously. Like I said. Name one serious sci-fi movie that is "fun." Almost all of them are methodical (2001), and even embrace being boring (Star Trek TV).
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19750 on: May 16, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Nolan makes movies that are as shallow as summer blockbusters, but with none of the self-aware fun that makes that kind of movie worth going to.

They sure look pretty tho.

Memento, Prestige, Insomnia, Following are not shallow. You can make a case for Inception, but it is full of fun Hollywoodisms you speak of.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:53:34 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19751 on: May 16, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
Seriously. Like I said. Name one serious sci-fi movie that is "fun." Almost all of them are methodical (2001), and even embrace being boring (Star Trek TV).

- Terminator
- The Abyss
- Cocoon
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Contact
- Dune
- Planet of the Apes
- Silent Running
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Starship Troopers
- The Thing
- Forbidden Planet
- Brazil
- RoboCop
- Ghost in the Shell
- The Matrix

My interpretation of "serious" is "not explicitly a comedy, and has a desire to convey a message beyond being "cool"
My interpretation of "fun" is "has jokes/is self-aware/is not just doom and despair."

There are lots of great SF movies that don't fit this (Metropolis, Blade Runner, Children of Men, etc.) but it's silly to say "SF isn't fun" unless you are willfully ignoring like 90% of the great SF films ever made.
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19752 on: May 16, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
Also, Star Trek TV isn't fun? Kirk takes off his shirt and makes out with a green-skinned alien babe like, every third episode. If that's not "fun," I don't know what is!
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #19753 on: May 16, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
I'm clearly talking about a certain type of sci-fi.This is why I said serious sci-fi and not sci-fi.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #19754 on: May 16, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
Define serious scifi.  I'm not sure how something like Brazil isn't serious.
serge

cool breeze

« Reply #19755 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
you mean hard sci-fi?   

Himu

« Reply #19756 on: May 16, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Also, Star Trek TV isn't fun? Kirk takes off his shirt and makes out with a green-skinned alien babe like, every third episode. If that's not "fun," I don't know what is!

Original Trek is fun and full of camp, you're right. Kirk goes and slaps the shit out of aliens and bangs their wives. But from TNG and up, especially DS9, Star Trek is rarely fun. It has its moments,  but it is mostly boring - and in a good way.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19757 on: May 16, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »
Define serious scifi.  I'm not sure how something like Brazil isn't serious.

Same for Contact.

you mean hard sci-fi?

Yup.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19758 on: May 16, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »
What I'm hearing is "sci-fi that isn't fun isn't fun." And you'll win that argument. But I won't accept that the movies I listed aren't "serious."

My definition of "hard" SF is high enough that about the only movies I think would qualify would be Blade Runner and Children of Men. I mean, I love 2001 but it has brain-evolving alien monoliths and glowing space babies. Hard SF is about PHYSICS and MATH.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:19:04 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #19759 on: May 16, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »
I think "serious scifi" is "whatever Himu shifts his definition to once he's proven wrong"
serge

Himu

« Reply #19760 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
Most of them, yeah. I disagree on Contact but that depends on your definition of fun. My problem is you guys are saying Interstellar won't be a good movie because it won't be fun, when my favorite sci-fi films and stories are not what I consider fun. My point is, sci-fi doesn't need to be fun to be good.
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19761 on: May 16, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
RoboCop is a VERY funny movie, but in its relentless satire, unwillingness to let anybody off the hook, and harsh extrapolation of current trends into a possible future, I think it's better at being science fiction than most films with spaceships.
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #19762 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
Robocop. :heart

What I'm hearing is "sci-fi that isn't fun isn't fun." And you'll win that argument. But I won't accept that the movies I listed aren't "serious."

My definition of "hard" SF is high enough that about the only movies I think would qualify would be Blade Runner and Children of Men. I mean, I love 2001 but it has brain-evolving alien monoliths and glowing space babies. Hard SF is about PHYSICS and MATH.

Good point. It also has a talking robot taking over a space ship.
IYKYK

TVC15

« Reply #19763 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »
And how can you say that The Fly and Videodrome aren't fun watches.
serge

Himu

« Reply #19764 on: May 16, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
TVC, we have totally different ideas on what fun is. :tocry
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19765 on: May 16, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Most of them, yeah. I disagree on Contact but that depends on your definition of fun. My problem is you guys are saying Interstellar won't be a good movie because it won't be fun, when my favorite sci-fi films and stories are not what I consider fun. My point is, sci-fi doesn't need to be fun to be good.

I don't think anyone was arguing that. I mean, one of my favorite SF films is Children of Men and boy that flick is the biggest downer this side of Requiem for a Dream.

I guess I'll end by saying I hope there's a lot more to Interstellar that we're not seeing in the trailer. Because that movie looks like it has the trappings of "serious" science-fiction without any of the self-reflection or forward-thinking that should come with it.
乱学者

TVC15

« Reply #19766 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
I refuse to believe you can think The Fly isn't fun to watch.
serge

Himu

« Reply #19767 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
Unfortunately, that's the status quo for most recent Hollywood sci-fi outings no matter the type. Unless I'm missing something? Thank God for Moon and Children of Men.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19768 on: May 16, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
I refuse to believe you can think The Fly isn't fun to watch.

Stop bringing up that vile man Cronenberg. :tocry I'm pretty positive I lost a life when I first saw it.

Videodrome is definitely fun.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #19769 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
speaking of sci-fi in movies, New Star Trek 3 will be directed by Roberto Orci.  Best known for writing the transformers movies and never directing anything before.

I guess I'll end by saying I hope there's a lot more to Interstellar that we're not seeing in the trailer. Because that movie looks like it has the trappings of "serious" science-fiction without any of the self-reflection or forward-thinking that should come with it.

Interstellar's marketing so far is purposely vague and limited.

Steve Contra

« Reply #19770 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:06 PM »
Which means there will be some M. Night Shynanigans  :'(
vin

Himu

« Reply #19771 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm remaining positive for Interstellar. I haven't seen a sci fi movie with meat to it in a while. Looper supplied a taste, but Prometheus and that stupid Tom Cruise movie were ::)
IYKYK

Steve Contra

« Reply #19772 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »
Prometheus :holeup

Now there was some grade A garbage
vin

Himu

« Reply #19773 on: May 16, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »
I liked it but it was fucking stupid. I was hoping for a directors cut because Ridley Scott kicks ass at those, and I thought Kingdom of Heaven theatrical cut sucked. But...nope.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #19774 on: May 16, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
Which means there will be some M. Night Shynanigans  :'(

no, uh, it's better not to read into it.  but the Interstellar trailer (not really spoilery, more about context, but just in-case)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
is only footage from the first act.  it's "vague and limited" compared to other movies that give away too much in marketing.  it's not about sucker punching the audience.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19775 on: May 16, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
Sunshine was so amazing up until the final third almost totally killed it.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19776 on: May 16, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »

Himu

« Reply #19777 on: May 16, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
Batista in the back. Hahaha.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #19778 on: May 16, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »

But from TNG and up, especially DS9, Star Trek is rarely fun.

Every Ferengi-centric episode ever says hi.

Also, they dedicated a whole episode around playing a baseball game
MMA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19779 on: May 16, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
The dude who plays the main cult leader gives a pretty great performance.

This guy:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not Javier Bardem, by the way.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:26:59 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19780 on: May 16, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »

But from TNG and up, especially DS9, Star Trek is rarely fun.

Every Ferengi-centric episode ever says hi.

Also, they dedicated a whole episode around playing a baseball game

since when is baseball fun?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19781 on: May 16, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
The ending of Armageddon is better than any of the Nolan BATMEN movies.  Real talk.

(Image removed from quote.)      :hitler

Contra's right, though. You may not have seen Armageddon in 15 years, but I guarantee you still remember the tearful montage it ends with. Unlike, for example, Two-Face.

That's unfair. Surely with half-his face burned off, there was a single tear shed?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19782 on: May 16, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
And how can you say that The Fly and Videodrome aren't fun watches.

Videodrome isn't SF, it's a religious treatise.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19783 on: May 16, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19784 on: May 17, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
I knew I knew him from somewhere! that was driving me insane but I was too lazy to imdb it

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #19785 on: May 17, 2014, 03:07:54 AM »
man, I really liked Godzilla.

Its probably about the best result that can come from a mega-blockbuster Godzilla film.  Yeah, its a "grounded, dark and gritty" Godzilla film, but its got splashes of humor, its respectful to the source material, and it really delivers when it comes to spectacle.  Yes, its clearly bears the Nolan influence when it comes to its blockbuster formula (there's even a few bwaamps here), but its actual recipe is closer to a cross pollination of a disaster film and monster flick (more like Cloverfield, but way better and with about as many Lovecraftian overtures), a mix that it pulls of really well.  Cities crumble, people fret, but it works because its all done at an intimate, ground level scale.  The puny humans in the story are of varying interest, but none of them detract from the film.

So yeah, as a monster movie, its pretty satisfying.  And most importantly, it nails Godzilla, the creature.  I wasn't really expecting a big huge American film to be a quality kaiju genre entry (I figured Pacific Rim had that honor sewn up for only itself), but I was glad to be wrong.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19786 on: May 17, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »
Godzilla was pretty fucking boring.

It's almost amazing how boring it was. It spends the entire movie basically not giving you anything you want until the end. I just wanted to see Godzilla fight and destroy stuff. Instead this movie likes to obstruct the fights until the last one. It hardly shows the active destruction. Instead it just likes to show you the effects. It's such a boring movie until the end.

Ken Watanabe is so crappy. He doesn't talk like a human being at all, instead always having this stupid "I'm going to say something really profound really slowly" expression.

Everyone else is forgettable with no personality or stage presence, yet the movie spends so much damn time with them. Bryan Cranston is the sole light only because it's him and then well....yeah. Then we follow Kick Ass as he finds himself in lame contrived nonsense. It was just so damn boring with no thrills.

It didn't feel dark at all. All the trailers almost made it seem like it would be a horror movie and the movie never delivers that at all. Underscored by a real campy score.

Just really shitty.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:21:08 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19787 on: May 17, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »
___

Beezy

« Reply #19788 on: May 17, 2014, 08:35:56 AM »
Dunno what some of you were expecting from Godzilla. Me and my friends loved it.

Freyj

« Reply #19789 on: May 17, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
It's a Godzilla movie. It excels at being a Godzilla movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #19790 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
So I'm taking it from this Godzilla discussion (seeing it tomorrow maybe) that they got the guy who made "Monsters" to make a Godzilla movie in the same low budget "don't show things because CGI costs money" way?  I mean Monsters was ok and worked better than it should've been for having no money to actually show the monsters.  He did a pretty good job keeping it suspenseful and interesting without showing until the end.  If Godzilla is the same way...I could be ok with that.

And yeah, Cloverfield is probably my favorite Godzilla movie in the last 15 years and it's a good example of not showing the creature. 

Then again, I didn't think Monsters was actually a good movie.  Just good inside the vacuum of "holy shit this is impressive that he made this with $8 and a box of popcorn"; as a movie it was kind of weak because it didn't have the budget to show much of anything at all.

Eh, I'll see.  Creature films are actually my favorite genre and there aren't enough of them so I'll take what I can get. 

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19791 on: May 17, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
There's plenty of Kaiju action in Godzilla. They showed exactly how much they needed to. Bunch of ADD ridden losers complaining.

Pretty good movie. Human element wasn't terrible. Godzilla was awesome. Looks great.

Pacific Rim was better. So was Cloverfield.
nat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19792 on: May 17, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
Very bored by Godzilla.  Pacific Rim was at least entertaining, and I didn't even particularly care for that movie either.

One of the most forgettable movies I've seen, honestly.  I just got out and I already don't really recall what the movie was really even about.
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19793 on: May 17, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
The Zany Adventures of Liutenant Kick-Ass Brody - Oh, and some monsters are in this movie too

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
fat

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19794 on: May 17, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
Thor 2.   I know it's basically "space gods," but the proliferation of space ships just seemed odd to me in a Thor film.  Found the film to be pretty "eh" over all.  I don't know what I was expecting, but here's hoping the third one is better.
Tonya

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19795 on: May 17, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Twas my general opinion on it as well.
püp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19796 on: May 17, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
 :piss your opinions :piss2
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19797 on: May 17, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
your fault for going in with preconceived notions and not understanding the intent and the motivations behind said characters. your loss.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19798 on: May 17, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
I mean it's fine for a movie to go over your head. That's fine. Even if the movie is pretty straight forward (on purpose mind you) but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure the new Transformers movie will be more up your alley later this year.
nat

Tasty

« Reply #19799 on: May 17, 2014, 11:51:09 PM »
Like I said, the acting was shit. The fights were awesome and although it was sort of generic I dug the world they built.