Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184820 times)

Raban

• The baby...
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #19560 on: May 04, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »
Mulholland Drive is probably my favorite movie these days.
SRY

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19561 on: May 04, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »
Pretty much, yup.

Pretty much to what?  That I'm the only one who thinks that, or about it feeling like Batman Beyond?
püp

Tasty

« Reply #19562 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
Beyond was awesome.

I think you mean Forever.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19563 on: May 04, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
My Spider-Nipples are tingling.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19564 on: May 04, 2014, 01:27:33 AM »
Beyond was awesome.

I think you mean Forever.

Sorry, yes thats what I meant.
püp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #19565 on: May 04, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
"The guys an evolutionist"

Complete with menacing sounding music.

Because believing in science means you are a smug asshole. Unlike the guy who wants the education rhetoric to include the teaching of his personal religious beliefs.

I believe in science, AND I'm a smug asshole.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19566 on: May 04, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
https://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70298195

Jet Li's Badges of Fury is now on Netflix
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19567 on: May 04, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
Saw Frozen tonight. I'm not sure why this got so much acclaim. It's gorgeous, sure, but the pacing is uneven and the progression doesn't make much sense. I felt like a lot of interesting, fleshed-out stuff probably was cut. I liked the overall story resolution though.

cool breeze

« Reply #19568 on: May 04, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
yeah, I just read that Frozen will be the 5th most successful movie ever.  I've only ever seen the poster and thought it was supposed to be some dreamworks movie.

Tasty

« Reply #19569 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
Hercules and Lilo and Stitch were my shit.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19570 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
I like the story of tangled better. But the music is better in frozen. And the "somebody's gotta tell him. I'm gonna tell him" scene was the best. That whole song was awesome.

Tasty

« Reply #19571 on: May 04, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Hercules is awesome, Lilo & Stitch is OK, I was hyped for it as a kid but it didn't do it for me.

I think Lilo and Stitch has aged a little better. It's one of the least-actiony Disney films but I like the feels it has. Hercules for sure has the better songs, but the whole movie feels really rushed which I didn't realize until I rewatched it last week.

Ah, the pre-Pixar Disney days. :'( Never got on board with Toy Story or Monsters, Inc. Finding Nemo was OK. The first Pixar movie I really loved was Wall-E.

Edit- Actually, it was The Incredibles.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:27:14 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #19572 on: May 04, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »
Oh, and Mulan was fucking awesome. Part of me as a kid thought I shouldn't like it since a girl was the main char (I blame society) but man, that movie was fucking great.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19573 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
Oh god Thinner is such a horrible movie. Oh god. Its like an adult version of a Goosebumps episode

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19574 on: May 04, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
Mulan :rock
SRY

Tasty

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19576 on: May 04, 2014, 11:38:47 PM »
Mulan is a good movie. I'll Make a Man Out of You was a good training montage.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:41:08 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #19577 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
Mulan is a good movie. I'll Make a Man Out of You was a good training montage.

Hercules had a good one too, if you can get over Danny Devito singing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19578 on: May 05, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
I actually like Terminator 3 for what it was (a dumb but fun action movie)

The most recent one (Salvation?) was just :trash

Salvation was trash, and Terminator 3 was a HEAP OF FUN. I like that guy from Carnivàle, Nick wossisface... Stahl. Female lead was good, and the feeling of impending turn-to-ash was just great. I can re-watch that movie any time, but Salvation can DIAF.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #19579 on: May 05, 2014, 04:57:31 AM »
T3 has the best comedy of the franchise.  Hell, its almost breezy.  Bonus points awarded for having what should have been a great series ending.

Salvation is boring/generic/grim.  T3 is fun, albeit lightweight.  Obviously not in the same class as the Cameron Terminators, but better then any late coming, flagrantly unnecessary cash grab had any right being.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19580 on: May 05, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19581 on: May 05, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
Wasn't Hercules by the same team which did Aladdin? I really like both of those movies. Mulan is absolutely wonderful though, and has better music than Frozen or Tangled.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19582 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
Wasn't Hercules by the same team which did Aladdin? I really like both of those movies.

Clements and Musker. They were responsible for Aladdin, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, The Great Mouse Detective, Treasure Planet, and The Princess and the Frog.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:50:56 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19583 on: May 06, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
I can't believe Spike Jonze wrote Her. It felt like the best Asimov adaption ever brought to the big screen and it wasn't even written by him.

Going to be renting this soon.

Welcome back!

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #19584 on: May 06, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
I really liked Amazing Spiderman 2, I dunno why critics/people are so harsh on it. Also Dane Dehaan should be in more movies.
Boo

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19585 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Salvation is boring/generic/grim.  T3 is fun, albeit lightweight.  Obviously not in the same class as the Cameron Terminators, but better then any late coming, flagrantly unnecessary cash grab had any right being.

The original Salvation ending was a lot better and made a lot more sense. Basically, John Connor dies and what's-his-robot face who finds his humanity now also has to pretend to be John Connor in order to keep the timeline together. It explains why there's so much focus on an otherwise dumb minor character and also would be the sort of bleak twist ending the Terminator films are known for. But no, focus tests had to ruin that one.
乱学者

Tasty

« Reply #19586 on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
I thought the original ending was Marcus turning full-robot and killing everyone in the Resistance?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19587 on: May 06, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »
Ultimately, those movies live or die on their casting. If you don't have a compelling lead or villain, you don't have much to hang your action scenes on.

Having 5  Spider Man movies in 12 years doesn't help either.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19588 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »

The original Salvation ending was a lot better and made a lot more sense. Basically, John Connor dies and what's-his-robot face who finds his humanity now also has to pretend to be John Connor in order to keep the timeline together. It explains why there's so much focus on an otherwise dumb minor character and also would be the sort of bleak twist ending the Terminator films are known for. But no, focus tests had to ruin that one.

But if it's as simple as impersonating Conner, doesn't that trivialize the previous films which suggested that his death alone would result in The End?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19589 on: May 06, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
"In the early script drafts, John was a secondary character. Producer James Middleton explained "Ben-Hur was influenced by Jesus Christ, but it was his story. Much in that way, this [new main] character will be influenced by John Connor."[54] The original ending was to have John killed, and his image kept alive by the resistance by grafting his skin onto Marcus' cybernetic body.[55][56] However, after the ending was leaked on the Internet, Warner Bros. decided to completely change the entire third act of the film.[57] McG and Nolan did continue the Christ element of John's character though, in which he has some followers who believe what he knows about Skynet, and others who do not.[58]"

McG said in interviews there was another ending where Marcus-as-John shot everyone and Skynet won, so it sounds like it could have gone either way. However the key point was Marcus replaces Connor in the timeline.
乱学者

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19590 on: May 06, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
Terminator is known for bleak twist endings? The first one doesn't and the 2nd on ends with a big hopeful "the future isn't decided and looks pretty good". Which is why anything after that is a god awful slap in 2's face. Three was pretty bad, but it's ending which says that "no the future is determined and you can't change it" is pretty awful. Series should have ended at 2.

Also the series seems to have a lot of known alternate endings. Two has the bright future alternate ending and I thought Salvation also had an ending where it turned out Skynet was actually a resort thing or something.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19591 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19592 on: May 06, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
Terminator is known for bleak twist endings? The first one doesn't and the 2nd on ends with a big hopeful "the future isn't decided and looks pretty good". Which is why anything after that is a god awful slap in 2's face. Three was pretty bad, but it's ending which says that "no the future is determined and you can't change it" is pretty awful. Series should have ended at 2.

Also the series seems to have a lot of known alternate endings. Two has the bright future alternate ending and I thought Salvation also had an ending where it turned out Skynet was actually a resort thing or something.

Terminator is known for bleak twists, not endings. My bad.

T1: Kyle Reese is the father of John Connor.
T2: The Terminator's broken arm is used to rebuild SkyNet (you could say this is T3, but it always seemed clear to me the loop wasn't closed)
T3: Connor ends up not in Skynet's core but a bunker as WWIII begins.

The timeline is all sorts of convoluted fucked up, with the line between free will and predestination being one of the series' major themes. Marcus assuming Connor's identity (for good, not evil) would be entirely in line with this poor franchise's history.
乱学者

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19593 on: May 06, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »

Holy shit, totally don't remember that, gotta re-watch it
___

Tasty

« Reply #19594 on: May 06, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

Holy shit, totally don't remember that, gotta re-watch it

It's a deleted scene.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #19595 on: May 07, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »
T3 had that awesome part where Arnold chunked that battery out of his chest and caused a mini mushroom cloud :lol
sup

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #19596 on: May 07, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
Well I suppose Harry could've been handled better and Electro's CG wasn't so hot. I remember reading that the film sorta felt like a mismash of scenes which I didn't get, everything made sense and I got why a scene was happening, it felt like cohesive whole. However I do understand the film being tonally up and down but I actually liked that, light scene,dark scene,light,dark,etc.
Boo

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19597 on: May 07, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »
spiderman

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't like the ending;  I assumed that was going to happen in the next movie to keep the franchise going to spin offs and spiderman 4.    It was fun up till that point.  Electro sucked though.  All the developments on spidermans side seemed rushed.  I felt like the entire movie should have been about harry and peter and peter finding out oscorp killed his dad.  meh/10, think I enjoyed the first one better.

Also I hated the Peter & Gwen "I cant see you any more because it's dangerous" especially given what happens. And his 2 seconds of mourning sucked. 

I feel like it would have made a great 3 hour movie.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:07:26 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Tasty

« Reply #19598 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
How did they handle Aunt May?

She was such a vital part of why I liked SM1 and 2 but in ASM she was just an old bat that Peter treated like shit. "PLEASE PLEASE GO TO SLEEP"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19599 on: May 07, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »
She's still an old bat.  Maybe there will be a Blade cross over?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19600 on: May 07, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was Innocent going in, but prison turned him into a criminal.  This summer Wesley Snipes stars in The Rape and Murder of Aunt May: A Spiderman Story. 
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #19601 on: May 07, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
What's wrong with Sally Field?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19602 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
I'm just surprised Amazing Spiderman has screwed up following Ultimate. I thought with it setting up Peter's dad as working on "something" we would have had a good set up with Venom. Peter's dad was working on the Venom suit. Amazing should have had Eddie Brook introduced and maybe even getting the Venom suit as a lead into three.

It could still happen I guess, It's just really Electro( a better version) should have been the main villain with the b story setting up Venom so we can get to that.

Tasty

« Reply #19603 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/KevinMcCarthyTV/status/464217271968489472
Geeking out! Saw #XmenDaysOfFuturePast - Mind = officially blown! - Insane emotion/action! Every performance is awesome! Fav #XMen flick!!!

https://twitter.com/Sean_OConnell
Wow! DAYS OF FUTURE PAST is the greatest, most complete and staggeringly entertaining #xmen movie to date. Incredible. Movie of the summer!
Do you know what character is legit great in #xmen? Quicksilver. I'm not joking. He REALLY works! Great scene.
McAvoy, Jackman and Fassbender blew me away in #xmen. McAvoy is doing amazing things with Prof. X. Best use of Wolvie in years!!

https://twitter.com/paulsalfen/status/464219170985361408
Wow! #DaysofFuturePast was so good! Definitely the best X-Men movie so far. And that's all you need to know...go see it! #XMen @XMenMovies

don't trust twitter don't trust twitter don't trust twitter

I TRUST TWITTER

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19604 on: May 07, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
I won't support a film directed by a rapist.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19605 on: May 07, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »
How many times have you watched Chinatown?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19606 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »

Polanski was wrongly accused by an anti-semite young woman.
 :ufup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19607 on: May 07, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »

Polanski was wrongly accused by an anti-semite young woman.
 :ufup

Ya but Singer only raped a dude that was 17 and a druggy.   Had the boy been black, we would have probably been busted by the cops, sentenced as an adult, and jail raped, which, as we all know, is legitimate rape.  Seriously this is like two hypotheticals away from being a social norm.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19608 on: May 08, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
MASSIVE HYPE BEFORE A TENT POLE MOVIE WOW
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19609 on: May 08, 2014, 12:06:14 AM »
G.I. Joe: Retaliation

I watched Rise of Cobra about 5 years ago and actually liked it. It was kinda lighthearted and a little goofy, but still a fun action movie that I thought never really got a fair shake. Retaliation is totally disappointing. It's not that fun. Everything is super serial, but still really dumb like in the first movie. The Rock is so hard-edged and frowny that he sucks up a lot of the movie's enjoyment. Bruce Willis makes an appearance, but he clearly doesn't care. Cobra Commander does practically nothing in the entire movie, same with Flint. Snake Eyes has a cool action scene in the middle of the movie with ninja flying along cables on a really tall cliff, that's the best scene in the movie. Everything's so rushed and nearly every scene fails to be properly set up, making the whole thing feel like a "Last time on GI Joe!" pre-episode summary. London getting blowed to hell looked really cool, but it had no lead up or impact and was never mentioned again.

In short, pretty much just a waste of time.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #19610 on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »

How many MJ albums you got breh? :hitler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19611 on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
I liked the first one as well.  The second one was just a mess.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19612 on: May 08, 2014, 12:12:28 AM »

How many MJ albums you got breh? :hitler

0. Racist!

Tasty

« Reply #19613 on: May 08, 2014, 12:26:44 AM »
No, I just mistook you for having good taste. :heh

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19614 on: May 08, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
I was really interested to see how it turned out, since they got the guys who wrote Zombieland to do the script. You'd expect that Retaliation would have some sardonic wit to it, but...not in the slightest.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #19615 on: May 08, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »

I'm just surprised Amazing Spiderman has screwed up following Ultimate. I thought with it setting up Peter's dad as working on "something" we would have had a good set up with Venom. Peter's dad was working on the Venom suit. Amazing should have had Eddie Brook introduced and maybe even getting the Venom suit as a lead into three.

It could still happen I guess, It's just really Electro( a better version) should have been the main villain with the b story setting up Venom so we can get to that.

Venom movie is coming sometime in the next four years.  Early shots of the Oscorp toy chamber had the symbiote in it, though that was changed to the rhino armor in the final.  So don't worry - your wish for the worst major Spidey villain will be granted soon enough.

:wag That's not Carnage.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19616 on: May 08, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
G.I. Joe: Retaliation

I watched Rise of Cobra about 5 years ago and actually liked it. It was kinda lighthearted and a little goofy, but still a fun action movie that I thought never really got a fair shake. Retaliation is totally disappointing. It's not that fun. Everything is super serial, but still really dumb like in the first movie. The Rock is so hard-edged and frowny that he sucks up a lot of the movie's enjoyment. Bruce Willis makes an appearance, but he clearly doesn't care. Cobra Commander does practically nothing in the entire movie, same with Flint. Snake Eyes has a cool action scene in the middle of the movie with ninja flying along cables on a really tall cliff, that's the best scene in the movie. Everything's so rushed and nearly every scene fails to be properly set up, making the whole thing feel like a "Last time on GI Joe!" pre-episode summary. London getting blowed to hell looked really cool, but it had no lead up or impact and was never mentioned again.

In short, pretty much just a waste of time.
I liked the first one as well.  The second one was just a mess.
I was really interested to see how it turned out, since they got the guys who wrote Zombieland to do the script. You'd expect that Retaliation would have some sardonic wit to it, but...not in the slightest.

All of the charm and sardonic wit was left on the cutting room floor to make space for adding meaningless Channing Tatum scenes in to the beginning of the movie.

I liked the first one better, but I still enjoyed Retaliation, as it reminded me of the mindless Joe battles I would put on with my action figures.

Snake

« Reply #19617 on: May 08, 2014, 01:22:31 AM »
You think you know shame, but I was stanning for Singer as recently as 1.5 years ago. :fbm

For Jack the Giant Slayer, of all things. :goty2
otm

Tasty

« Reply #19618 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:55 AM »
You think you know shame, but I was stanning for Singer as recently as 1.5 years ago. :fbm

For Jack the Giant Slayer, of all things. :goty2

:kobeyuck

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #19619 on: May 08, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Just watched Sorcerer on Bluray :whew goddamn 5 star movie, brehs.
reckt