Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184401 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #19440 on: April 29, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
yeah casting Boyega is deffo the coup of the day (well, that and secret Sydow)

too bad they're all in a Star Wars movie :~(
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19441 on: April 29, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »
why is someone black in that picture

Moreover, why is Billy-Dee Williams /not/ in that picture?

Himu

« Reply #19442 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
The visual style is still aping off Kurosawa, whose battles are known for their precise, methodogical strikes. It is something Hollywood was obsessed with recreating in the 70s, including in films like The Warriors (Furies baseball bat fight). I wasn't talking about the overall fighting technique as much as I was talking about visual style and tone.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:59:47 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19443 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
Speaking of which, I hope in the next trilogy they go back to their roots and follow Kurosawa sword fight influence in the light saber duels. The original trilogy is fantastic at displaying emotion in each strike. Go back to that instead the ninja fuckfest that was the prequel trilogy.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19444 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:43 PM »
Honestly? I don't know if i agree with that either. In Kurosawa movies the duel scenes are really brief. Usually they end with a single sword draw from the sheath and someone explodes in a flurry of gore.  Star Wars has long, epic battles often moving to multiple different locations inside a single fight.

Those are duels. I'm talking about regular fights.

http://m.

You can imagine Luke swinging his ligbtsaber here, final duel aside.

You're right tho. Kurosawa duels are brief. Unlike SW duels.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #19445 on: April 29, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
Lightsabers were likened to heavy European swords in the originals by Lucas.  The prequels dropped that and made them weightless or very very light.

Himu

« Reply #19446 on: April 29, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
So that's what it was? Either way, I don't care. None of that ninja shit PLEASE.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19447 on: April 29, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
as far as I'm concerned, the less time lightsabers are on the screen in this movie, the better. let's hope they keep them shits in their pants.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #19448 on: April 29, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
The sword fights in the prequels were :trash and they had a complete overuse of light sabers. Luke had to use blasters and ships and stuff despite being a Jedi.

But you just know they'll whore out the light sabers.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19449 on: April 29, 2014, 11:22:19 PM »
Nah the ninja shit is cool. There was nothing wrong with the sword fights in any of the prequels either. They were fine.

I don't know about that.

Himu

« Reply #19450 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
'overuse of lightsabers' fuck out of here :dead

And as far as that GIF? If we took apart any of your favorite action movies you'd see the same shit. Blue screens, wires, blah blah blah.

No, the prequels embody everything wrong with modern star wars including the overuse of Jedi in any star wars story or media.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19451 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

Himu

« Reply #19452 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Yoda went from Jedi master to naruto character.

:trash
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19453 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »
You could make Ep1 a decent action movie by keeping the lightsabre stuff and replacing EVERYTHING ELSE.  You wouldn't really improve it by keeping the rest of the movie and having slower, less flamboyant duels.

Tasty

« Reply #19454 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
Yoda/Dooku was meh but I thought Anakin/Kenobi in ep3 was pretty rad. Certainly better than the snorefest fight at the end of Empire.

Yeah yeah whatever, self- :ufup , don't care.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19455 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
The lightsaber duels in the first films are well done, especially in the last two films. There's an elegance and semblance of choreography behind them, compared to the flailing nonsense of the prequels. I'd be fine with fast fights if they looked good, but they just didn't in the prequels.

Everything is green screen and CGI in the prequels, and it really fostered a level of laziness that permeates through nearly everything except the soundtrack. That gif highlights just how casual nearly everything looks in the films.

The new SW will probably be bad, let's be real. However I find it very hard to believe that it could possibly be worse than Phantom Menace.

Himu

« Reply #19456 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »

No, the prequels embody everything wrong with modern star wars including the overuse of Jedi in any star wars story or media.

I can't believe I'm defending the prequels but this is distinguished mentally-challenged.

The whole point of the prequels was to illustrate how the healthy intergalactic Jedi Order as a form of policing would fall apart; ergo it has a lot of Jedi shit in it.

They sure as fuck could have had some variety tho.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #19457 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
'overuse of lightsabers' fuck out of here :dead

And as far as that GIF? If we took apart any of your favorite action movies you'd see the same shit. Blue screens, wires, blah blah blah.

yeah. they went from being centrepieces of the original's most powerful scenes to just being glowy twizzlesticks there to draw your attention from the 8 million other CGI distractions sharing the frame.

i don't like this cast purely because i was pretty happily resigned to having precisely zero investment in the new films. it'd be like if a new f-zero game was announced for the wii u.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:34:54 PM by headwalk »

Tasty

« Reply #19458 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

Duel of the Fates helps a lot but it's still a pretty cool setpiece.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19459 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
Yoda/Dooku was meh but I thought Anakin/Kenobi in ep3 was pretty rad. Certainly better than the snorefest fight at the end of Empire.
:beli
SRY

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19460 on: April 29, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »
WTF am I reading in this thread?

Saying the fight in SITH that goes on FOR EVER AND EVER ANE EVER AND EVER AND EVER is good and that the fight from Empire which completely shows how stupid and unready Luke is, is somehow bad? A fight that actually has tension and something shocking for a first time viewer and is not the yawn enducing "is is over" wankery that the Sith fight is.  A fight that isn't this overblown and ridiculous endeavor that seems to lose all point the more it goes on. A fight that dosen't look like sterile shit compared to the one that does even though it's on a planet that should be grimy and dirty as fuck.

What?

I don't even dislike the prequels. I have good memories of Episode 1. I remember liking 2 even though that seems to be the worse according to everyone.

But I legitimately hate three. I hated three before all the Plinket stuff. I saw it on my birthday and it was supposed to be a grand day, but no that movie took a deep shit on it. I mean i watched it with such confusion as to how everything was happening. I mean the opening with the really dumb humor. How Anakin was such an idiot. I mean really this was possibly the first time I realized Star Wars was dead to me. I never even bought the movie on dvd and have maybe seen it once since release. I really dislike Sith and I don't think I've been into Star Wars since then.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:41:25 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #19461 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »
WTF am I reading in this thread?

Saying the fight in SITH that goes on FOR EVER AND EVER ANE EVER AND EVER AND EVER is good and that the fight from Empire which completely shows how stupid and unready Luke is, is somehow bad? A fight that actually has tension and something shocking for a first time viewer and is not the yawn enducing "is is over" wankery that the Sith fight is.

What?

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I thought it was a bright spot in the prequels (which I otherwise abhor.). :yeshrug

In Empire Vader can barely move, he's like fucking Clooney suited up in Batman & Robin.

:zzz Talk about a fight that goes on forever. They're like two chickens pecking at each other throughout the entire thing. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was more thrilling.

cool breeze

« Reply #19462 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
The later two prequels overdue the Lightsabers.  In phantom menace there's a bit where Obi and Liam run from some droids lest they get wrecked by lasers.  I liked that it was a flawed weapon, and when Han calls Obi out on being an old man for using a sword, you got the sense that it's an honor or lifestyle thing and not "this is the best weapon ever."

Or like how in empire strikes back, vadar blocks Hans shots with his hands like a badass.  If it were the prequels he would've deflected them with a Lightsaber, because.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19463 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
i saw all three prequels in theaters and the lightsaber battles were the only time the audience actually spoke up and got into the movie. i'd say more swordfights plz, but we already know this movie is gonna be 95% action anyway so it looks like im all set
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19464 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »

Duel of the Fates helps a lot but it's still a pretty cool setpiece.

This shit is straight up stupid, sorry. Looks horrible especially when compared to better melee weapon choreography. Even the shortest LOTR fights look better than that.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19465 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »
Light sabre fights were more rare in the OT (which makes sense continuity-wise), but the prequels had at least a couple duels with some stuff at stake.  Liam Neeson getting killed/avenged, and the Anakin/Obi-Wan thing.

Now I didn't feel any emotional tug when I saw those for the first time, and I almost definitely did when I saw the iconic scenes in the original trilogy but, you know, I was eight.

I'm with Esch.  Decent action beats (lightsabrzzzz!) > bad action beats (pod racing) > awful character beats (EVERYTHING).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19466 on: April 29, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »
:zzz Talk about a fight that goes on forever. They're like two chickens pecking at each other throughout the entire thing. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was more thrilling.
Except the fight dosen't feel like it goes on forever at all, because it's cut between other scenes. Thats not the case for Sith at all.

And of course the action isn't stylish or choreographed as it would be now. We're dealing with an 80s American Action movie.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:44:43 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #19467 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:13 PM »
Please put the people who want more saberzzz on the other end of the room :maf
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #19468 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »
Except the fight dosen't feel like it goes on forever at all, because it's cut between other scenes.

Same with the Anakin/Obi Wan fight.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19469 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »
The lightsabers weren't overused, they just weren't good; there's a difference.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19470 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »

Peak of the series, sorry. Even with the silly jumping.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maul using debris to open the door.  :lawd

The whole part with the energy door whatevers.  :rejoice
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19471 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »
Yoda fight in ep 2 is the only thing that was watchable in that pos

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19472 on: April 29, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
Please put the people who want more saberzzz on the other end of the room :maf

To make room for more Galactic Senate scenes?  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeyit.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19473 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:04 PM »
That Darth Maul fight was good IMO, it wasn't just random saber waving at mach 5 speeds.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19474 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:11 PM »
I remember why I have Andrex on ignore.

Either way, I don't remember Sith well because I've only seen it maybe two times. I just remember being bored and wishing the fight would end. It didn't look cool and just seemed to be overdone. Something I wouldn't say about Empire at all. You say Vader moves like an idiot, I say that gives him an actual presence.

I'm just going to go back to no caring about Star Wars past the originals.

cool breeze

« Reply #19475 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
yeah the maul fight is great.  Best part is Obi hopping and getting amped to wreck maul.  And he fails, cause anger leads to something something.

benjipwns

« Reply #19476 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
Obi-Wan's little detective adventure to the rainy clone planet was pretty good.  :yeshrug

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19477 on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »
Guys remember, Andrex thinks Tron Legacy is Sci Fi classic.

And those battles in the prequels were stupid. Instead of a sword duel it looked like a fucking dance. Shit's like Step Up in space.
Oh yeah I forgot about his massive thread about this. My eyes rolled out of my head.
SRY

Tasty

« Reply #19478 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:50 PM »
I remember why I have Andrex on ignore.

Guys remember, Andrex thinks Tron Legacy is Sci Fi classic.

Love Tron Legacy. :heart

None of the criticisms have ever made sense to me.

Tasty

« Reply #19479 on: April 29, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »
Obi-Wan's little detective adventure to the rainy clone planet was pretty good.  :yeshrug

I always hated that part. :lol So boring.

The Jango Fett space fight was cool though.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19480 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:23 PM »
As far as becoming a Naruto character; he always was. Sort of cute and stupid but secretly wise, lots of goofy little catchphrases that come very close to some 'heart of the cards' 'believe it' shit

:hitler

Yoda was never a Naruto character in the original movies.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

He was a muppet.
[close]

And man Obi-Wan, Private Eye was laaaaame.

benjipwns

« Reply #19481 on: April 30, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
Maybe it's just because it's better than the shit with Anakin.

I did like the thread though of how they were basically uncovering all the tiny little pieces of Palpatines plot accidentally but nobody ever really puts it together until he kills Samuel L. Jackson.

Tasty

« Reply #19482 on: April 30, 2014, 12:02:16 AM »
Maybe it's just because it's better than the shit with Anakin.

I did like the thread though of how they were basically uncovering all the tiny little pieces of Palpatines plot accidentally but nobody ever really puts it together until he kills Samuel L. Jackson.

Haha, yeah. There was no tension whatsoever since you know they're never gonna figure it out before Palpatine 66's their asses.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19483 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:32 AM »

Yeah, it was pretty cool while it was happening, and it was an interesting mystery -- except that SUDDENLY IT BECAME NOT-A-MYSTERY. The whole bit where the Jedi Archives LOST A FUCKING PLANET and then it turns out a forgotten or expelled or excommunicated Jedi ordered a WHOLE ARMY OF CLONES THERE is just overlooked by the Jedi Council and everyone under the sun because, hey, let's just have Yoda roll in with them clones as da' cavalry, and no-one is going to ask WHY?

It was a neat little throwback to film noir detective stuff, but if that's the model, it's like having Sam Spade investigate and figure out the shadowy kingpin in the background who'd had the young starlet killed, then being saved by the kingpin, then everyone forgets the dead starlet, and why they were ever looking for the kingpin to begin with.

Lucas apparently gives zero fucks.

benjipwns

« Reply #19484 on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »
It's a galaxy far far away...full of morons.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #19485 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
that's how Spaceballs 2 should start
SRY

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19486 on: April 30, 2014, 12:14:42 AM »
chronovore, iirc that's sort of The Big Sleep.

But yeah.  I'm willing to buy into just about any wacky premise as long as events carry the appropriate weight and there's at least some semblance of internal logic.  The prequel trilogies made it very, very easy to not give a shit about ostensibly major plot developments.

benjipwns

« Reply #19487 on: April 30, 2014, 12:33:33 AM »
They keep a list of all the planets in a card catalog. To computerize the records is what a Sith would do.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19488 on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:25 AM »
chronovore, iirc that's sort of The Big Sleep.

But yeah.  I'm willing to buy into just about any wacky premise as long as events carry the appropriate weight and there's at least some semblance of internal logic.  The prequel trilogies made it very, very easy to not give a shit about ostensibly major plot developments.
I'll have to read that to confirm; the wikipedia summary doesn't seem to support that, but I'm inclined to accept your expertise.

to be fair, losing a single planet in a galaxy full of them in a record kept by a society of 'enlightened' dudes that pretty much operate on a spiritual bro code seems plausible
I was OK with them losing the planet; it showed the arrogance and myopia of the Jedi, hinting at the problems facing the Jedi Council. Once the planet was found, and a conveniently usable army made available, I would have liked even a throwaway line describing, "Hey, yeah... this army you found. They sure can fight, but we need to figure out WHY they were made for us."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19489 on: April 30, 2014, 12:57:14 AM »
This is the only good scene in the PT:

FACT
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19490 on: April 30, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
The thing in The Big Sleep is that the original murder (the chauffeur I think?) is never explicitly solved.  It's just a gateway into the bigger crime/conspiracy, and at least the version I've heard is that the screenwriter and director didn't know who actually was the murderer.  Don't remember if that also applies to the book.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19491 on: April 30, 2014, 01:19:38 AM »
The thing in The Big Sleep is that the original murder (the chauffeur I think?) is never explicitly solved.  It's just a gateway into the bigger crime/conspiracy, and at least the version I've heard is that the screenwriter and director didn't know who actually was the murderer.  Don't remember if that also applies to the book.

Is the film good? I really enjoyed the book.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #19492 on: April 30, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »

Be a Star Wars fanboy brehs.

Metal Gear.

Every Star Wars movie not named The Empire Strikes Back.

still gonna have to toss my hat into the ring that *doesn't* feature vagina bombs and the raping of children

Yeah they just murder them.
Drunk

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19493 on: April 30, 2014, 01:29:23 AM »

Is the film good? I really enjoyed the book.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, cause I'm a huge Bogart stan, but if you enjoyed the book and have any interest in the genre at all, it's definitely worth checking out.  That and The Maltese Falcon.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19494 on: April 30, 2014, 01:39:32 AM »
Yep I've seen The Maltese Falcon, amazing film.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19495 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:53 AM »

It appears there is an earlier murder than that (Geiger) but, yeah: the chauffeur's murder is not explicitly solved, Chandler was later asked who had killed him by by the screenwriters and directors of the first film adaptation; Chandler didn't know, and didn't appear to care. :lol

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19496 on: April 30, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
http://www.cityonfire.com/guns-talks-and-a-man-on-high-heels/

Director Jang Jin (Guns & Talks) is back with an action film called Man on High Heels (aka High Heels). Despite its kooky title, Man on High Heels is not a comedy. It’s in fact an violent action-thriller with a gender-bending twist. The film stars Cha Seung-won (Libra Me), Esom (Hindsight) and Oh Jung-Se (The Unjust).

Here’s the plot: Ji-wook is a cold-blooded detective who will stop at nothing to catch criminals. However, despite his masculine appearance, Ji-wook struggles with a secret desire to be a woman. At last, Ji-wook decides to get a sex change. However, a gang Ji-wook brutally arrested by force plots revenge against him.

Man on High Heels will be released domestically in June 2014. For now, here’s a couple of trailers, courtesy of Film Combat Syndicate.

I know you guys haven't seen Guns & Talks, but it's very, very good and this looks pretty bad ass

Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19497 on: April 30, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
I know you guys haven't seen Guns & Talks

I have.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19498 on: April 30, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »
So I finally managed to watch The Physician, this movie met and far exceeded my highest expectations

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19499 on: April 30, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
Tonya