Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4184293 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #19260 on: April 20, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Old School Kung Fu fest was up at Anthology Film Archives. I had plans for Friday and Saturday so i couldn't go to anything until today.

Master of the Flying Guillotine - this is also known as One Armed Boxer vs The Flying Guillotine.  I saw this back in 2002 when it was remastered and re-translated but I had totally forgotten about it until about a third of the way through this film  This film is bananapants.  So many strange fights (including the "famous" one of the Dhalsim like yogi who can stretch his arms to attack people).  It's not great but it's damn entertaining. (in the earlier film, they tied Jimmy Wang Yu's arm behind his back to simulate being one armed, but here it's resting on his stomach, so it looks like the one armed boxer picked up a beer gut in between films).

Super Inframan - American version of Chinese Superman.  One the one hand it's wildly entertaining in how much it steals from Kamen Rider and Ultraman, on the other hand the American version is edited to all hell and large chunks of story and character introductions are cut so you'll have brand new characters doing important plot things w/o context.  Hot garbage basically.

Dirty Ho - pretty much a perfect kung fu comedy.

Next Sunday the Museum of the Moving Image is showing 8 Diagram Pole Fighter which I believe is my favorite Shaw Brothers film

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #19261 on: April 20, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
I can't help but think that one day we'll get a massive reveal of the pedo shit, from pictures to videos. Especially now that everyone has high quality cameras on their phones.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19262 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Transcendence is a mess. An interesting, pretty, and entertaining mess. But a mess. The pacing is all over the place. And it covers so much so fast that it either needs to be edited down to 90 minute movie or we need to see an extra hour of exposition. Oh and its basically mgs4 with its answer for everything
spoiler (click to show/hide)
nanomachines!!
[close]
I enjoyed it. But I have a feeling a better movie was poorly edited into what we got.
i wish someone would make a movie about advanced ai where it didnt become some stupid out-of-control power fantasy. this movie was boring as shit.
it goes too far way too fast. It felt like something that should be covered in a tv show or multi part movie with real exposition and character development. Instead it makes huge leaps in seconds which just takes you out of the whole damn thing.

it just pissed me off that
the dude becomes and ai and... it makes him into a robot that really wants to please his wife but sucks at reading morality? that is corny as fuck. i think theres lots of interesting ways you could do a singularity-type story, or something that shows a mind becoming less human and more detached, or really anything besides what they did. i cant stand the ai-as-goofy-autistic-person stories.
[close]
yep. Its a completely played out angle. Some of the ideas were neat but its like they were half baked

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19263 on: April 21, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
I don't get any of this "watch kids programming" stuff. It dosen't even have to be of the creepy variety. Adventure Time, Yu Gi Oh, whatever. I don't get why a teenager or adult would want to watch something clearly not for their mental level. I'm not saying they are bad and occasionally when I catch a few seconds of Adventure Time that my nieces have on, it is charming. Hell, I'd rather they watch something imaginative and not  all the other shitty pre-teen Dawson Creek live action shows. It's just not something that could beep me entertained enough to sit down and watch it.

Though jesus, anyone past the age of 13 watching those live action Nick shows.........

Like there is nothing in them a teen or adult should find funny. Then again, people really like Youtube celebrities yelling and "acting exaggerated" and that's basically the humor of these live action shows.

Beezy

« Reply #19264 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »
I don't get any of this "watch kids programming" stuff. It dosen't even have to be of the creepy variety. Adventure Time, Yu Gi Oh, whatever. I don't get why a teenager or adult would want to watch something clearly not for their mental level. I'm not saying they are bad and occasionally when I catch a few seconds of Adventure Time that my nieces have on, it is charming.

Same reason why we still play (good) Nintendo games.

No comment on the shitty live action shows.

Beezy

« Reply #19265 on: April 21, 2014, 02:06:45 AM »
Next Sunday the Museum of the Moving Image is showing 8 Diagram Pole Fighter which I believe is my favorite Shaw Brothers film
Do you need to rsvp somewhere?

Tasty

« Reply #19266 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:57 AM »
Don't care what it says about me but I'm a total Yugitard. :aah

Except for Zexal. :kobeyuck

Arc-V is pretty legit so far. :obama

Rahxephon91

« Reply #19267 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:49 AM »
I don't get any of this "watch kids programming" stuff. It dosen't even have to be of the creepy variety. Adventure Time, Yu Gi Oh, whatever. I don't get why a teenager or adult would want to watch something clearly not for their mental level. I'm not saying they are bad and occasionally when I catch a few seconds of Adventure Time that my nieces have on, it is charming.

Same reason why we still play (good) Nintendo games.

No comment on the shitty live action shows.
I don't play Nintendo games.

:win

Hey man, you shouldn't throw Adventure Time under the bus with Yu Gi Oh there. That, Regular Show and Flapjack are actually great shows. Some adults just like cartoons, such as myself. Quality is still a factor in those as well. Nothing wrong with animated shows(surprised I have to say that to an anime fan).

Those teen sitcoms though? Only people who watch it are kids, and yeah it's pretty bad regardless. Then again, you'd be surprised how many live action kids shows you've enjoyed then is actually terrible now. Revisiting stuff like Power Rangers, that live action Ninja Turtles show and My Wife and Kids don't do kid Wrath's tastes any favor.

Yeah, make no mistake. I know Power Rangers is shit. It was fun as a kid, but once I stopped being a kid it's not like I entertained the idea that it was anything other then a stupid kids show.  Really, the only kid live action show I'll bat for today  is Pete and Pete, but even then thats under the guise of it being a good kids show, not a good show without the kid qualifier. I don't even remember any other live action shows I watched as a kid. I always disliked the Disney channel because of the live action stuff.

There is nothing wrong with cartoons and I'm sure Adventure Time is a good show. It's just I don't get it. Tons of people my age like it and stuff like MLP and I'm sure they are well done shows, I just can't see myself watching them.

Himu

« Reply #19268 on: April 21, 2014, 04:31:59 AM »
My Little Pony (especially season 2) is enjoyable. Has some nice WB esque slapstick, nice animation, and some really funny/witty writing in it.

MLP is a fun show that you turn your brain off while watching and just enjoy the childish storylines and characters. Its emphasis on individuality, girl power doin thangs are refreshing amid male oriented television. To me, it's basically Sailor Moon with talking pony's.

Shit is also cute.

The idea that adults should only watch adult shows is not only pathetic, it's hilariously myopic in its snootiness. Cartoons kick ass.

The fact it gets a bunch of CIS males mad is the icing on the cake. Can't wait for Sailor Moon to premiere this summer for even more masculinity tears.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:36:55 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19269 on: April 21, 2014, 06:57:42 AM »
nah, you have to buy museum admission then roll up and get a ticket.  no idea what it will be like though.  the last time i went was for the Muppets stuff a few years ago and that was pretty simple to get into
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19270 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Transcendence is a mess. An interesting, pretty, and entertaining mess. But a mess. The pacing is all over the place. And it covers so much so fast that it either needs to be edited down to 90 minute movie or we need to see an extra hour of exposition. Oh and its basically mgs4 with its answer for everything
nanomachines!!
[close]
I enjoyed it. But I have a feeling a better movie was poorly edited into what we got.
i wish someone would make a movie about advanced ai where it didnt become some stupid out-of-control power fantasy. this movie was boring as shit.
it goes too far way too fast. It felt like something that should be covered in a tv show or multi part movie with real exposition and character development. Instead it makes huge leaps in seconds which just takes you out of the whole damn thing.

it just pissed me off that
the dude becomes and ai and... it makes him into a robot that really wants to please his wife but sucks at reading morality? that is corny as fuck. i think theres lots of interesting ways you could do a singularity-type story, or something that shows a mind becoming less human and more detached, or really anything besides what they did. i cant stand the ai-as-goofy-autistic-person stories.
[close]

Agreed. If You're looking for a movie that shows a mind becoming less human and more detached that's actually great check out David Cronenberg's The Fly.
[close]

Or they could have at least gotten, like, Scarlett Johannson or somebody instead of Johnny Depp.

Except that movie already exists and it's like TIGHT [also, it's written/directed by Luc Besson]:

:whew
[close]
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19271 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
Watching and liking MLP has never been the problem here, though. What is the problem is deciding to craft your entire life and personality around MLP.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19272 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
To me the worse thing is how manchildren get upset at the quality of children's shows, as if the shows are required to not be...you know...for children.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19273 on: April 21, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
tempting...

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19274 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
Cillian Murphy was also the worst actor in Transcendence.  He was like complete auto pilot mode and didn't seem to give a shit.  The scene that stuck out to me was when
the nanomachines all died with the virus and they were able to stand up
[close]
  It was just so awful. 

But I'm a concept over execution type guy so I was still entertained and I liked the idea of the movie better than the execution.  The super intelligent AI was the least interesting part.

I did think the
"he's connected to me now" and randomly talking through his drones was pretty neat
[close]

But in the end, I don't think this was a good first movie for Wally Pfister.  Homeboy was clearly out of his element.  He should have started smaller.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19275 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »
You guys are worthless to me if you cant even distinguish between a loli anime creepo and a general anime fan.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19276 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
"But then again I suppose loli is worse because sex with sisters trumps feet fetishes on a wtf-meter."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:27:40 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19277 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Gomez and Grande look like children. Victoria Justice on the other hand looks 100% eatable.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19278 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
"But then again I suppose loli is worse because sex with sisters trumps feet fetishes on a wtf-meter."
> Game of Thrones fan  :hitler
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #19279 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
I don't play Nintendo games.

:win

Wow what a badass, you must get all the ladies. :uguu

Tasty

« Reply #19280 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
Better to not play Nintendo games than to play only Nintendo games

(Image removed from quote.)

The unintentional genius of this diss is that it also implies there are no third party games for Nintendo systems. :heh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19281 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »
Esch is Jay, PD is Nas. I think we all agreed on that.

I'm probably Spliff Star or something.

I was about to note I'm making dough whereas Esch is living off grant money...then I remembered Esch showed me his investment portfolio (pause)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19282 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
me: Rick Ross. Exaggerated worth/lifestyle hiding the reality of being a former narc living a normal life

Esch: Just Blaze. Calm, laid back, little swag...but millions in the bank

Wrath: 90s era Shyne. Born wealthy, left his native country to swag on America. Busts his guns.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19283 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
A 30yo milf and a succulent young one, both Brazilian. I entered the game late but put up 50 points at least breh

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19284 on: April 21, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
This weekend should have been a smashing success for Johnny Depp. Transcendence, the first major release with Depp top-lining in 2014, had an all-star cast, with Morgan Freeman, Kate Mara, and Paul Bettany, a Prometheus-worthy, intriguing sci-fi premise, and what’s more, for at least a portion of the movie, you could actually get a glimpse of Depp’s movie star looks, with those chiseled cheekbones and pouty lips on full display. The studio seemed to hedge its bets on Depp’s marketability—using only his face on the poster.

But Transcendence, despite having all these things going for it, has bombed at the box office and with critics alike. At press time, it’s got a dismal 20 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and only earned a combined $12.4 million at the box office.
Jikes, whats going on here, I wanted to see this at some point

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19285 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »
Looks like a potentially good movie torpedoed by a bad script or bad editing, maybe both.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19286 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
I'll reevaluate your signing bonus when you put your first 3some on the board  (Image removed from quote.)

guess I'll pay Comcast late this month and hit up backpage.com for one of them ebony ivory duos
:lawd

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19287 on: April 21, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
Looks like a potentially good movie torpedoed by a bad script or bad editing, maybe both.
Both.

I think there might be a good movie left on the editing table somewhere.  but the script was flawed all to hell too

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19288 on: April 21, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
God dammit, another one Prometheus'd 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19289 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »
Wrath: 90s era Shyne. Born wealthy, left his native country to swag on America. Busts his guns.

OK, who's my Game? You know, bit my steez and now throws shots at me while namedropping other boreans a lot.
Oblivion.

Beezy

« Reply #19290 on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
I'll reevaluate your signing bonus when you put your first 3some on the board  (Image removed from quote.)

guess I'll pay Comcast late this month and hit up backpage.com for one of them ebony ivory duos
:lawd
:lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19291 on: April 21, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
Just got back from seeing Dante Lam's That Demon Within.  It is a beautiful, expressionistic cop drama with a very good performance from Daniel Wu.  The kind of big budget film you rarely see from HK anymore.  Very much worth your time.

Tonya

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #19292 on: April 22, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
inside llewyn davis was wonderful.
zzz

Beezy

« Reply #19293 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Saw The Raid 2 yesterday. Very different from the first one. The sense of doom and desperation wasn't as strong, but goddamn dem fight scenes! I hope these guys continue to make films for a long time.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19295 on: April 23, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
Saw The Raid 2 yesterday. Very different from the first one. The sense of doom and desperation wasn't as strong, but goddamn dem fight scenes! I hope these guys continue to make films for a long time.
Some guy on GAF was complaining that by the end it wasn't believable anymore.  I was just surprised that someone found it believable at any point.  The entire thing is badass but Rama is pretty much a goddamn super hero.

Either way, I saw it a couple of weekends ago and I wanted to go again last weekend but my local theaters already removed it.  I'll just watch the first one until 2 hits blu ray

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-quentin-tarantino-hateful-eight-reading,0,2699398.story#axzz2zgDTb26P

God dammit, I wish I could'a seen this.
I thought he wasn't moving forward with this anymore?  I'm not complaining.  I'm glad he changed his mind.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19296 on: April 23, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
He says this was the first draft and that he's working on another right now. I think Q got pissed, but is reconsidering cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19297 on: April 23, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
Watched the Patriot again for the first time since I was a kid;  pure patriotic porn. I also miss seeing Mel Gibson in a show instead of on the news for being a bigot. 

cool breeze

« Reply #19298 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
Cyborg is going to be in Batman vs Superman.  20-something guy named Ray Fisher is playing him.  Supposedly a minor role, maybe not even as Cyborg in this movie.

Cyborg :piss2

at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be "Justice League: subtitle."  there was talk a while back about how WB might forgo the whole build up to Justice League and instead make Justice League the series name with a rotating lineup for each yearly movie.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19299 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
told you guys DC is trash outside of Batman.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19300 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
This movie is turning out to be such a clusterfuck.

I KNOW :hyper
乱学者

cool breeze

« Reply #19301 on: April 24, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
this is the guy.  imagine it with tinfoil on half his face

and for some reason he's imitating bolo

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19302 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »
Snowpiercer - feeling like a shitty Asian movie fan, because uh, erm, maybe it could stand to have 15 - 20 minutes chopped from it.  it's not like the characters they're developing are all that great.  It's not a subtle film at all.  good acting, interesting (if polemic) concept.  Everyone who acts in it is p good (chris evans included), but the script and overall arc of the story isn't especially interesting and the ending (which is supposed to inspire hope) is a huge downer if you think about it for more than a minute.

urgh.

oh well.
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19303 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:41:23 AM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19304 on: April 25, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
DC should just forget live-action and do big budget animated movies. No one else is doing it and movies like The Incredibles, Megamind and Dispicable Me prove that a market is there.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19305 on: April 25, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
i agree.  i think that could be pretty sweet
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19306 on: April 25, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »
I would pay full price (not matinee) to see a high budget animated Superman or Batman movie. 

Tasty

« Reply #19307 on: April 25, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
I would pay full price (not matinee) to see a high budget animated Superman or Batman movie.

Mask of the Phantasm ultra-bomba'd so I doubt it'll ever happen again. :'(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19308 on: April 25, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
MotP got a theatrical release?

« Reply #19309 on: April 25, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Finally gonna see Grand Budapest Hotel tonight. So psyched.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19310 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
Cyborg is the lamest of anything in JL. I wish they would delete the character from every human being's memories

cool breeze

« Reply #19311 on: April 25, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
I'm all for a more diverse Justice League, but this retcon shoehorning of lame ass Cyborg into things does nothing for me.

yes.  exactly.  and his look/costume has never ever been good.  a number of revision, authors, etc.  it's always a dude with tinfoil on half his face.

If they want a black character in why not John Stewart GL? fuck this shit.

yeah, chances are they won't go with John anymore.  kyle green lantern could work, and they can cast a hispanic actor like jimmy smits.

or they can try and connect the green lantern movie to this.  on the plus side you get angela basset as amanda waller and mark strong as sinestro.  it's everything else that's bad.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19312 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
It's too bad you can't have two black actors in a movie not directed by spike lee because I would have liked John Stewart as the GL. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19313 on: April 26, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »
Lego Movie - i lol'd.

you could say that i...

*sunglasses*

.....leg-lol'd.

yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:05:25 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19314 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:09 PM »
Bad Grandpa; the strip club scene :lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19315 on: April 27, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Juice - I don't know if i haven't seen this or hadn't seen this in so long that it's mostly unfamiliar to me, but i really liked it thought it got to be a biiiiiit over the top.  Curious if Tupac's character would be memorialized so much if he were played by someone else.

The Telephone Book - this is really hard to describe, but it's amazing.  It's basically an X-Rated sophisticated comedy about a woman's quest for sexual fulfillment.  It's content goes from documentary style talking heads discussing their pasts making obscene phone calls, wild cartoon sex, extended monologues about the American dream and masculinity, orgy scenes, dirty talking and a tone that swings from Playboy cartoon to Hustler cartoon.  I had no idea what I was in for, but I loved it a great deal.  It's very much "of its time" but to me that added to the charm. The writer / director basically did this movie, the was with Belushi on the fatal 3 day heroin binge.  It's so fascinating.  It's currently on Netflix if you want to give it a shot yourself
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:15:56 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19316 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
Godfather bluray;  The transfer of the first scene is pretty horrible,  I don't remember my vhs copy looking that bad.  Also forgot how well crafted the movie is.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19317 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
The Godfather Blu-Ray has a lot of film grain, but that's the way it was supposed to look. Coppola personally approved the transfer. The reason you wouldn't have seen that on a VHS copy is because it was too low-res to show the fine details.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:38:56 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19318 on: April 27, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
The transfer is incredible considering the state of the masters. And the first scene just looks especially grainy because of the lighting but its not an issue with the transfer. All the detail is there.

Bebpo

« Reply #19319 on: April 27, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
The Re-Animator

It was ok, I guess I just expected more because of the cult classic status.