Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4185975 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #19320 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
The Re-Animator

It was ok, I guess I just expected more because of the cult classic status.

fun fact, this was pitched to be a PBS miniseries
PBS turned it down then they went wild with it.
Tonya

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19321 on: April 27, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »
I loved Re-animator and my memories of it are great although I would need to re-watch it to confirm as Ihaven't seen it in many years.

Sometimes its hard to watch something classic from the past when that thing was amazingly unique versus 30 years after the fact versus a whole new generation of people already being influenced by that thing and incorporating aspects of it into their work.

I know for me it occasionally happens on older works.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #19322 on: April 27, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
I actually sat through Spawn the other day. You wouldn't think it could be worse than the comic, but it is.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #19323 on: April 27, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »
I loved Re-animator and my memories of it are great although I would need to re-watch it to confirm as Ihaven't seen it in many years.

Sometimes its hard to watch something classic from the past when that thing was amazingly unique versus 30 years after the fact versus a whole new generation of people already being influenced by that thing and incorporating aspects of it into their work.

I know for me it occasionally happens on older works.

And sometimes, VHS is better. Return of the Living Dead, in HD, you can see it's just a bunch of people wearing masks in the background.
sup

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19324 on: April 27, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
Nurse 3D

Pretty much delivers exactly what it promises based on the title and the poster art. Blood and titties. It loses steam in the middle, when it starts setting up subplots that ultimately go nowhere, instead of just ramping up the body count. The ending was great, though.
©@©™

cool breeze

Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #19325 on: April 27, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
Justice League following up Batman vs superman is set with Snyder directing again  :-\

otoh

Warner Bros. has several other movies in development unconnected to the Justice League that are based on DC superheroes and fantasy and crime titles from its Vertigo line of genre comics, said Mr. Silverman and Toby Emmerich, president of Warner’s New Line Cinema label. They include “Shazam,” “Metal Men,” “100 Bullets,” and “Fables.

otooh

there are no plans yet for a “Justice League” spinoff featuring Ms. Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,”

Tasty

« Reply #19326 on: April 27, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
FUCK

ANYONE BUT SNYDER, YOU FUCKHEADS

God.

GOD

I MAD :maf

Tasty

« Reply #19327 on: April 27, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
A Shazam movie could be pretty good. Get Spielberg to do it.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19328 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
To be honest, I would prefer that a 100 Bullets movie not ever try to explain the backstory behind the cases.

benjipwns

« Reply #19329 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »
If the leaked plot details are anywhere close to the actual, it's a blatant setup for a Justice League movie.

Tasty

« Reply #19330 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »
I dunno. Who did Super 8? Abrams? I think that could be a pretty good analogue. (I know they're not super comparable but that's the kind of tone and general aesthetic I think of when I hear "modern Shazam movie.")

cool breeze

« Reply #19331 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
If shazam isn't connected to justice league, turning it into an animated/CG movie would be great.  get around dealing with a bad child actor for billy. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19332 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Isn't shazam multiple kids in the new comics?

cool breeze

« Reply #19333 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
If the leaked plot details are anywhere close to the actual, it's a blatant setup for a Justice League movie.

yeah it sounds like it'll be a better (relative) iron man 2.  Wonder Woman will likely have as much development as black widow, there will be cameos, and the other additions are superman or batman supporting cast.  Luthor and metallo or some other muscle.  Friction between the two heroes. Stuff.  Join up, more stuff.  Ends..I don't remember how iron man 2 ended.  Someone jumps out of a plane i think .

benjipwns

« Reply #19334 on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
Have you guys realized that this is really a comics thread?
You mean I've been talking to...NERDS?!? *shudders*

Tasty

« Reply #19335 on: April 27, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »
It's kind of crazy to believe cape movies have taken hold of the entire blockbuster genre so handily. I mean, there was some initial excitement in the early 90's after Batman, but B&R pretty thoroughly scorched the earth.

Thank god for genius/molester Brian Singer and X-Men. :usacry

:hyper Still super amped for Days of Future Past. :hyper Singer's swan song before he gets Gibson'd. :lawd

cool breeze

« Reply #19336 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:58 PM »

yes.  I'm sorry.  I tried posting that trailer of Gone Girl.  Youtube wouldn't allow it.  I wanted to post the trailer of Boyhood, but it's better to not see that trailer.  There's nothing else.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #19337 on: April 28, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
You mean I've been talking to...NERDS?!? *shudders*

OMG I couldn't tell.  I just realized how important smell is.

Tasty

« Reply #19338 on: April 28, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
So much for the idea that Affleck was hired with the idea of him directing JL.  Guess they really did hire him for his acting ability.

:lol WB recognizing good directing talent? Nolan was a fluke.

cool breeze

« Reply #19339 on: April 28, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
So much for the idea that Affleck was hired with the idea of him directing JL.  Guess they really did hire him for his acting ability.

the old, and apparently new, rumor is that the two are shooting back to back for 2016 and 2017 releases.  all things considered Affleck helped the movie's chances by getting Goyer off the script.

Tasty

« Reply #19340 on: April 28, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
I was going to throw in a comment in parentheses about hipsters saying Nolan isn't a good director but thought better of it than to justify those idiots. But now I've had to do that anyways, thanks Esch.

Tasty

« Reply #19341 on: April 28, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
"Garbage action sequences" ::) Yeah that makes him a bad director.

RT don't lie brah. :yeshrug

benjipwns

« Reply #19342 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »
Only hipsters try to make sense of the temporal scale of scenes. Or understand why anything is happening.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19343 on: April 28, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »
Calling Nolan a bad director is troll shit.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19344 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »

the old, and apparently new, rumor is that the two are shooting back to back for 2016 and 2017 releases.  all things considered Affleck helped the movie's chances by getting Goyer off the script.

I'm not a Goyer fan, so I'm stoked to hear this. Goyer's self-promotion to talent ratio is pretty fucking poor.

cool breeze

« Reply #19345 on: April 28, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »
I dont think hes a bad director per se, thats trolling. But his action scenes are terrible, on wheels or hand to hand. He cuts and edits them together and cues them up well with music to make things hype but if you watch them in detail theyre often nonsensical or boring.

nolan said the same about his movies in a sort of self-deprecating way.

I'm not a Goyer fan, so I'm stoked to hear this. Goyer's self-promotion to talent ratio is pretty fucking poor.

goyer's best moment:

Then I remember one day on the set—they let everyone pick their own clothes—there was one black actor who was also kind of a club kid. And he wore this shirt with the word “Garbage” on it in big stylish letters. It was his shirt. And Wesley came down to the set, which he only did for close-ups. Everything else was done by his stand-in. I only did one scene with him. But he comes on and goes, “There’s only one other black guy in the movie, and you make him wear a shirt that says ‘Garbage?’ You racist motherfucker!”

And he tried to strangle the director, David Goyer.

benjipwns

« Reply #19346 on: April 28, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »
Yeah, I was going to say I think they got worse with each film. It's like as the budget went up they got more expansive and it didn't work as well. Less is more sometimes.

Like the stupid big ass fist fight to end TDKR.

Though I think TDKR's bank heist part is maybe the best part of any of the three films.

cool breeze

« Reply #19347 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:40 AM »
Those TDKR fight scenes are so bad though, at least the mano a mano ones between batman and bane. Two trained fighters but all their fight scenes are haymakers and WWE moves? :trash

not defending them, but I loved that those bane fights used rocky 3/4 choreography.

benjipwns

« Reply #19348 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:41 AM »
I think the primary problem with Batman is that he's a reactionary wrecking ball in the films, only occasionally does he do any great planning or stealth which should be in many cases his primary advantage. Let alone detective work.

The Joker basically beats the shit out of him in their fight at the end of TDK before the bombs don't go off and he gets distracted.

The fights with Bane make Bane seem even weaker and lame despite his "winning" them, whereas the heist by contrast shows his planning is what Batman should have to contend with. Most pointedly the fact that the entire chase is just to gain time and that Bane can drive right at them while being ignored because he has no reason to be around and can be dismissed as a distraction attempt.

A lot of the action, hell, a lot of the scenes in general, are just sound and fury signifying nothing. TDK in particular jumps from one SCRIPTED set piece to another.

Thankfully, Zach Snyder is in charge now.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19349 on: April 28, 2014, 02:30:43 AM »
TDK had great action pieces and is a good movie despite some lol worthy dialogue. BB is eh and TDKR sucks.

Nolan is a good director. The problems in his films always stem from the scripts, from The Prestige's exposition scene to the dialogue in TDK. Still they're better than most summer blockbusters. Inception was great.

I hate talking about Nolan films because there's always a group of losers who can't articulate why they hate his films, and instead seem like they just don't want to be on the same side as the neck beards who praise him. So a lot of the hate is more of a reaction to the hyperbolic praise than any substantial criticism. IE people seriously faulting Inception because "dreams don't work like that." Seriously brehs, that's the best you have?
:beli

benjipwns

« Reply #19350 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:37 AM »
I think it was already unanimously agreed upon that Batman wins fights cause of his greatest superpower, fanboy writers.
smh at this Batignorance, maybe study the canon first

Nolan is a good director. The problems in his films always stem from the scripts, from The Prestige's exposition scene to the dialogue in TDK. Still they're better than most summer blockbusters. Inception was great.
Yes, I will say the writing is atrocious and the biggest culprit, and Nolan's not a bad director but either isn't good enough or doesn't have the mentality/style to salvage it when he's given (or writes) garbage.

I've struggled with IMMERSION in everything of his after Memento other than select segments here and there. I don't hate his films, but the Batman ones in particular are just so incoherent plot wise and I'm just endlessly wondering about why events are happening. Which is my problem really, but whatevs.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:36:37 AM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19351 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:56 AM »
Speaking of Nolan's writing, the male lead is ALWAYS responsible for the death of a woman and feeling guilt over that.  Memento, Batman, Inception, The Prestige.

We're going to find out something terrible about this dude's past at some point, aren't we?

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #19352 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:30 AM »
The Re-Animator

It was ok, I guess I just expected more because of the cult classic status.

fun fact, this was pitched to be a PBS miniseries
PBS turned it down then they went wild with it.
Actually not that surprising, Stuart Gordon had/has artistic cred from his Chicago theater work.  His David Mamet film Edmond is pretty great.
anyways, yeah, I likes Re-Animator an awful lot.  I wish Jeffrey Combs could have had a better mainstream career, but even I must admit I have no idea what that would have looked like.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19353 on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »
lol nerds
©@©™

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19354 on: April 28, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
in this case, he may be correct.

but he was so stupidly blatantly wrong about the Grandmaster (and many many other films) that i'm not about to switch my position on him
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19355 on: April 28, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #19356 on: April 28, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
the grandmaster is a very good film.....if you don't watch the one that's on netflix which is cut by 40 minutes

if you watch the netflix version, it's merely a disappointing "action" film

Is Ip Man Final Fight on netflix?  That's good, but it's mostly due to Anthony Wong's excellent acting.
Tonya

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19357 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
I've enjoyed all of Nolan's movies. Deal with it.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #19358 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
Basically he's just inconsistent for me, and I hope he tries his hand at slower paced stuff.

:bow   :bow2

no clue how the movie will turn out but the teaser is amazing

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19359 on: April 28, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19360 on: April 28, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
uhhh where's Frasier?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19361 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
Where everybody knows your name

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #19362 on: April 28, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
Nolan has a fascination with convoluted plots and late reveals and plot twists. Not as bad as JJ Abrams or Damon Lindelof, but it can get a bit annoying in Nolan's case too (see:the dark knight rises).

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #19363 on: April 28, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
Saw Leviathan on a big screen and with a good sound system recently. Pretty good stuff. Also Zero Dark Thirty, which I didn't like as much. Then again I didn't like The Hurt Locker all that much either, so maybe I just have a hate-boner for Kathryn Bigelow, idk.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19364 on: April 28, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Nolan has a fascination with convoluted plots and late reveals and plot twists. Not as bad as JJ Abrams or Damon Lindelof, but it can get a bit annoying in Nolan's case too (see:the dark knight rises).
I think Inception was best in this regard.  It was a late twist, but it didn't seem forced and it actually seemed relevant to the story. 

cool breeze

« Reply #19365 on: April 28, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »
I think Inception was best in this regard.  It was a late twist, but it didn't seem forced and it actually seemed relevant to the story.

that's the case with all of them except dark knight rises, which is a big mess all around.  the prestige is about magicians/illusions, memento is about amnesia, etc.  but all of the late reveals in dark knight rises were for the audience and didn't make sense within the movie.  dark knight rises is a really weird movie.  first two acts have this class warfare shit going on and it's completely absent from the third.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19366 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »
I still really like TDKR, but I wish they could have just focused on Batman and Catwoman more. With it being the end of the trilogy, though, they felt like it had to end with something bigger and more action-packed, I guess.
dog

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #19367 on: April 28, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Also not being able to use batman's best antagonist because the actor who (very successfully) played him in the previous film died probably fucked them a bit.

Tasty

« Reply #19368 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
I've always doubted that Joker would show up even if Heath were still alive. I guess Neeson and Murphy did but I dunno, I never had any expectation the Joker would play any part of the third movie.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19369 on: April 28, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
Also not being able to use batman's best antagonist because the actor who (very successfully) played him in the previous film died probably fucked them a bit.

The KGBeast was in a Batman movie??
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #19370 on: April 28, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
maybe we should move away from this comic NERD talk

in other news, STAR WARS.  everything that isn't in the 6 movies is now written out of canon.  everyone who read/played/watched this shit for the past 30+ years, :patel

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19371 on: April 28, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
in other news, STAR WARS.  everything that isn't in the 6 movies is now written out of canon.  everyone who read/played/watched this shit for the past 30+ years, :patel

The movie writers will most likely pick and choose what they like from the EU and leave out the things they don't, which is just fine with me.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #19372 on: April 28, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
Star Wars fanboi's would like to apologize to Trek fanboi's for mocking their whine regarding Abrams annihilating canon right?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19373 on: April 28, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Star Wars fanboi's would like to apologize to Trek fanboi's for mocking their whine regarding Abrams annihilating canon right? (Image removed from quote.)
As a Trek fan, I'm loving what's left of the good bits of Star Wars crumbling and falling down around the fan's ankles. Fuckers had zero sympathy when that asshole was busy fucking Trek up the deflector pipe 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19374 on: April 28, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
maybe we should move away from this comic NERD talk

Star Wars fans have been :patel since 1999. :'(
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19375 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »

I hate talking about Nolan films because there's always a group of losers who can't articulate why they hate his films, and instead seem like they just don't want to be on the same side as the neck beards who praise him. So a lot of the hate is more of a reaction to the hyperbolic praise than any substantial criticism. IE people seriously faulting Inception because "dreams don't work like that." Seriously brehs, that's the best you have?
:beli

I don't really see anything wrong with getting at a movie for portraying dreams incorrectly if the subject of the movie is dreams though. And not just in a metaphorical sense, it spends a lot of time talking about them in a very specific technical sense. I mean I guess it's a science fiction movie so we can just say w/e.... :yeshrug . I don't really know anything about amnesia either but if Memento portrayed memory loss incorrectly I might see that as a fault too.

I don't have anything against Nolan. I like The Prestige, Memento, and most of BB and some of TDK. But I think it's fair to call him out on some mediocre action scenes when he chooses to direct action movies. In fact I think the reason there's always this debate about Nolan being good or crap in a binary sense he's so good at certain aspects of directing that people overlook the missteps in them, except for the critics who magnify them intensely without pointing out what he does really well.

Basically he's just inconsistent for me, and I hope he tries his hand at slower paced stuff.

Memento sure, because it's not a sci fi film. But I can't help but lol at the detailed complaints over Inception not being "accurate." fuckouttahere lmao

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19376 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
My body is ready for JJ Abrams Presents -  Star Wars: New 52
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19377 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »

:bow   :bow2

no clue how the movie will turn out but the teaser is amazing

No aliens no sale.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19378 on: April 28, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
For a second I saw that and thought that Interstellar Movie was the new Aaron Seltzer/Jason Friedberg film.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #19379 on: April 28, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »
My body is ready for JJ Abrams Presents -  Star Wars: New 52
Weirdly, I like the new52 mostly. The new superman is weird but whatevs