Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4186336 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33960 on: May 01, 2019, 02:40:02 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33961 on: May 01, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
The Brain (1988)

I'd been meaning to see this one for a while because of how hilarious the brain looks. It's definitely a throwback to 50's creature features, when all you needed was a rubber suit and a dream. The plot is basically It Conquered the World + Invasion of the Body Snatcher. Our hero is rebellion teen Jim Majelewski, who gets sent to see the local tv doctor ("He wouldn't be on TV if he wasn't good.") to cure his antisocial behavior. The doc's tv show and psychiatric institute are all just a front for a giant, evil brain from outer space to suck up our brainwaves and take over our planet. Everyone that watches the show either falls under the brain's hypnotic suggestion or are driven insane by monstrous hallucinations. Jim discovers the plot while he's at the institute and escapes to warn others, but most of the town has already fallen under the brain's thrall and now the doctor's tv show (ironically named "Independent Thought") is about to go nationwide.

The best part of this movie was definitely the brain. The brain was amazing. I like how the actress who was only in the movie to get topless for one scene and only has three movie roles listed on IMDB, her IMDB bio pic is just her getting eaten by the brain. :lol

This movie also had the guy that played the evil doctor from The Re-Animator, this time playing....the evil doctor. That's just good casting.
2.5/5
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33962 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
If millenials reward that shyte with a good box office, you deserve all the garbage that follows.

It looked like a movie that was shelved in 2005 and Paramount just won the rights to distribute it. All it was missing was Dean Cain as the lead "good guy" and Don Lafontaine doing the voice over for the trailer.

Was Dean Cain even relevant in 2005?

Was Sonic the Hedgehog?

I may have purchased Sonic Rush for my DS

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33963 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
It's a different continuity they don't have to look the same :rage

This is a really good argument for the look of Sonic in the new movie.

Did the MARVEL COMIC BOOKS FAN GEEKS complain when mighty THOR didnt look like THIS

No, they accepted that the version that is portrayed to them in the movie(S) is the real Thor version.

Can we please have more Fast and Furious car movies

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #33964 on: May 01, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

the lore runs deep.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33965 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33966 on: May 01, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
James Mardsen is on West World, HBO's other current show people claim is the best show ever but is actually incredibly stupid and terribly written that everyone has forgotten all the plot points from weeks after the season ended.

Dean Cain in 2005 was deep into made for TV/DTV movies and doing one off roles on long running shows and being the star of shows so shitty they got cancelled mid season and didn't even finish airing.

Yeah, I'd say it's more a circa-2005 Sean William Scott movie.

At first I was thinking Brendan Fraser but I won't disrespect him like that.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33967 on: May 01, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »
The Brain (1988)

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd been meaning to see this one for a while because of how hilarious the brain looks. It's definitely a throwback to 50's creature features, when all you needed was a rubber suit and a dream. The plot is basically It Conquered the World + Invasion of the Body Snatcher. Our hero is rebellion teen Jim Majelewski, who gets sent to see the local tv doctor ("He wouldn't be on TV if he wasn't good.") to cure his antisocial behavior. The doc's tv show and psychiatric institute are all just a front for a giant, evil brain from outer space to suck up our brainwaves and take over our planet. Everyone that watches the show either falls under the brain's hypnotic suggestion or are driven insane by monstrous hallucinations. Jim discovers the plot while he's at the institute and escapes to warn others, but most of the town has already fallen under the brain's thrall and now the doctor's tv show (ironically named "Independent Thought") is about to go nationwide.

The best part of this movie was definitely the brain. The brain was amazing. I like how the actress who was only in the movie to get topless for one scene and only has three movie roles listed on IMDB, her IMDB bio pic is just her getting eaten by the brain. :lol

This movie also had the guy that played the evil doctor from The Re-Animator, this time playing....the evil doctor. That's just good casting.
2.5/5

You’re like the only person here that watches good shit anymore.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33968 on: May 01, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
under the silver lake

I wish I liked this more, but it's still worth watching as a curiosity, and the first half hour or so is pretty great. You can see Lynch and De Palma's fingerprints throughout the movie, but it never really pulls it together. I'd like to read a synopsis of what this mess was going for. That said, the movie remains watchable and intriguing. I think the trick to saving this would have been focusing on tightening the mystery and noir-y elements up and toning down the up-its-own-assedness.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:20:02 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33969 on: May 02, 2019, 02:03:19 AM »

"Gangster's Paradise" :notlikethis
Day 1, full imax

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #33970 on: May 02, 2019, 04:43:56 AM »
In Avengers

spoiler (click to show/hide)
If they can time travel and their goal is to travel to a point where all the stones are why don't they just go to the part where Quill shows pussy emotions and hold him back? That seems the most efficient.  It would be awkward when they have to give him back his power glove a second later. 
[close]

That seems the most efficient
sigh

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #33971 on: May 02, 2019, 05:26:01 AM »
In Avengers

If they can time travel and their goal is to travel to a point where all the stones are why don't they just go to the part where Quill shows pussy emotions and hold him back? That seems the most efficient.  It would be awkward when they have to give him back his power glove a second later. 
[close]

That seems the most efficient
yeah but then you miss out on all the fanservice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33972 on: May 02, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »
Scarlett Johansson wasnt given enough screentime for me to have a full fanservice experience :fbm
America's ass though  :drake
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33973 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
You’re like the only person here that watches good shit anymore.

My love for cult cinema has been rejuvenated lately.  :rejoice

I watched Candyman last night. One of the few great horror movies of the 90's. Tony Todd is terrifying without even having to do anything, delivering lines that almost drip honey. When he whispers "Be my victim" to Virginia Madsen while a somber Phillip Glass score plays, it makes most mainstream horror movies, filled with scare chords and cats jumping out of closets, seem pretty silly.
4/5
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33974 on: May 02, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »
I listen to the Candyman soundtrack at work all the time. Prob in my top 10 work albums.
serge

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #33975 on: May 02, 2019, 01:01:53 PM »
Endgame was pretty good, but infinity war is the superior movie. Better action, less dumb sad superhero stuff.
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33976 on: May 02, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33977 on: May 02, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »
Btw I watched Under the Silver Lake again last night and liked it a lot better. I’m not sure if it’s because I knew what to expect this time or what, but I dug almost the whole thing this time. May go back for thirds.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33978 on: May 02, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
Maybe if you watch it enough times, you'll figure out who the Dog Killer is.  :doge

I mean, the most obvious guess is that the MC is the dog killer. He has the weird dog dreams, he's violent (he beats up Jesus, kills the Songwriter, and kicks the shit out of the those 12 y/os :lol ), he has the dog treats in his pocket at the end which pisses off the Homeless King (who has an affinity for dogs/coyotes), and generally seems to be an unreliable narrator. But maybe that's just what THEY want you to think.  :o
[close]
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #33979 on: May 02, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »
Maybe if you watch it enough times, you'll figure out who the Dog Killer is.  :doge

I mean, the most obvious guess is that the MC is the dog killer. He has the weird dog dreams, he's violent (he beats up Jesus, kills the Songwriter, and kicks the shit out of the those 12 y/os :lol ), he has the dog treats in his pocket at the end which pisses off the Homeless King (who has an affinity for dogs/coyotes), and generally seems to be an unreliable narrator. But maybe that's just what THEY want you to think.  :o
[close]

And women bark at him!
[close]

I saw a comment comparing it to The Crying of Lot 49, my fave book, and the comparison really fits well. Def watching a third time now.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33980 on: May 02, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Yeah really weird but rewarding movie in a way a lot of more modern films/mysteries aren't.

TVC15

« Reply #33981 on: May 02, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
Other TVCy things I liked

Gratuitous sex
Perving on neighbors
Smelling dildos
Beating children
Andrew Garfield getting sprayed in the face by a skunk and vomiting
Closeup of a fully satisfied toilet
Patrick Fischler
[close]
serge

TVC15

« Reply #33982 on: May 02, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
"Smelling dildos"

Does this mean the act of sniffing dildos, dildos that give off an odor, or dildos that smell things?

Well, I meant the first one, but the movie doesn’t really get into the latter possibilities. It could be all three!
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33983 on: May 02, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
 :drool

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33984 on: May 03, 2019, 04:47:16 AM »
Watched Pacific Rim: Uprising. Heaps of fun. It was even more of what was great in the first movie. What the hell is wrong with people? When you go to a movie to see live-action giant robots fighting kaiju and destroying Asian cities, THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR.

Philip Glass! So good.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33985 on: May 03, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
The Ark of the Sun God (1983)

I'm back on my Amazon Prime deep dive (and my bullshit) again. Glancing at the title and the boxart for this one, you'd probably think it's a cheap Italian Indiana Jones ripoff, and it certainly is, but it's really closer to the 60's and 70's Italian James Bond ripoffs than it is to Indiana Jones. The boxart and title are basically just straight up bullshit, there's no "ark" in this movie. There's also no Nazis, and I don't remember anything about Semiramis, Queen of Babylonia. Maybe she was mentioned once and I was on my phone. I didn't give this one my full attention because tbh it was kinda boring.

The hero of this movie is basically James Bond. He's the dashing super-spy, he's not a rugged adventurer. He even says something like "You should have called Roger Moore for this assignment." More of the action takes place in Istanbul, in hotels and street markets and mansions and car chases. He's supposed to be a world-class burglar and he was brought in to open the vault of the tomb of Gilgamesh and retrieve his scepter, which has "the power to rule the world" (although it's never explained how this works). The bad guys are the Cult of Gilgamesh that want the power. They all looked vaguely middle-eastern, if there were supposed to be Nazis, apparently I missed that too. Only the end involved any tomb robbing adventure. It was not good, and also not bad-good.
1/5
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33986 on: May 04, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »
I keep thinking about LVT Melancholia. Not so much its particular cinematic arch but the egomania contained within. Its gross af but familiar.
:9

TVC15

« Reply #33987 on: May 04, 2019, 01:47:59 AM »
Oooo, I still need to see Von Trier's newest movie. I'll maybe watch it tonite!
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33988 on: May 04, 2019, 01:56:54 AM »
Oooo, I still need to see Von Trier's newest movie. I'll maybe watch it tonite!

The serial killer flick? Fuck I'm about to be disturbed
:9

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33989 on: May 04, 2019, 04:19:36 AM »
The House that Jack built is good.
Well, if you already like his edgy stuff, otherwise you'll hate it.

Also watch the uncensored one.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33990 on: May 04, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33991 on: May 04, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »
It's all about the colors bro

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33992 on: May 04, 2019, 11:32:51 PM »

to be entirely honest, stuff like this on Amazon Prime makes the service waaaay more enticing to me than all the prestige drama series in the world.

the new Criterion release of Police Story 1 and 2 is pretty gol-dern great. Great suppliments, image quality that makes a mid-80's Hong Kong film look great (which shouldn't really be a thing), and of course Jackie is there daring God to kill him like a dozen times or so. Five Stars.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33993 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
The New New Testament (Le Tout Neuveau Testament) - Belgian comedy about what happens when God, who lives in Flanders, Belgium, loses track of his biblically unmentioned daughter as she covertly bumps the apostle-count from 12 to 18 by adding 6 modern witnesses. It was fun, beautifully shot, very well acted, but unevenly paced.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33994 on: May 05, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »

to be entirely honest, stuff like this on Amazon Prime makes the service waaaay more enticing to me than all the prestige drama series in the world.

the new Criterion release of Police Story 1 and 2 is pretty gol-dern great. Great suppliments, image quality that makes a mid-80's Hong Kong film look great (which shouldn't really be a thing), and of course Jackie is there daring God to kill him like a dozen times or so. Five Stars.

It looks like a great package and you can never go wrong with some golden-age Jackie Chan
©@©™

clothedmacuser

« Reply #33995 on: May 05, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
I heard what the crazy, mind blowing twist is in this movie and had to see it.

It's still not as fun as it should be.  But, if you really want long, languorous shots of Matthew McConaughey's sculpted naked buns this is the movie for you.

"If you really want long, languorous shots of Matthew McConaughey's sculpted naked buns this is the movie for you." - clothedmacuser
sigh

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33996 on: May 05, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »
what's the tweest?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33997 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
Reavers were made accidentally by the Alliance

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33998 on: May 05, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »
Extremely wicked shockingly evil and vile
The movie about the events surrounding serial killer Ted Bundy. Most of it focuses on Ted himself and his girlfriend Liz, who is 'trapped' by his spell of charm.
Overall it is a compelling watch even though you already know how it is going to end if you know the story of Ted Bundy.
It doesn't have the definitive answer on why women flocked to this guy even when he was already on trial but it does show a very human side of this shocking story.

Efron's performance is great so it is well worth a watch.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33999 on: May 05, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
I've been watching foreign arthouse films, specifically Italian auteur Andrea Bianchi's Strip Nude for Your Killer. You guys probably wouldn't understand the dense allegories. :snob

But for real though, it pretty much delivers exactly what the title implies, which is lots of sex and violence. Take some hot eurobabes, throw in a masked killer, add a dash of sex farce and you got a movie you'd be proud to take home to your mother. If your mother was Joe Bob Briggs.
4/5

©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #34000 on: May 06, 2019, 08:24:47 AM »
After making fun of comic book movies for a decade without ever seeing one single MCU movie, me and the wife took on the challenge of seeing all 21 of them.
Iron Man was alright, but I fell asleep the second half of that movie.  :doge
The Incredible Hulk was terrible, none of it made sense, The whole motivation of the Bruce Banner character doesn’t make any sense,
Iron Man 2 was pretty good, Mickey Rourke as the Russian dude was pretty cool casting, however the final battle was kinda anticlimactic.
Thor was a cute fish out of water story, then I fell asleep on the couch.  :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #34001 on: May 06, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
Oh yeah and we started Captain America The first Avenger, but stopped because I had to prepare dinner. Has the potntial to be my favorite of those one hour in,

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34002 on: May 06, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »
That lady is pretty, how furry was she

It was the 70's, so...you know.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #34003 on: May 06, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
Rewatched Iron Man 1 recently, I was so convinced it'd hold up really well but it mostly doesn't. Probably cause the rest of the MCU took that formula and ran it into the ground lol.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34004 on: May 06, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
omg, Drive is on Amazon Prime. Not the Ryan Gosling one, but the late 90's DTV kung-fu Mark Dacascos one. That movie sucked, but it has some amazing fight scenes and stunt work. I saw it for the first time on the USA Network at like 10:30am in between classes in college. I still own the DVD, but like....the DVD is way over there....and Amazon Prime is right here.

©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34005 on: May 06, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Rewatched Iron Man 2 yesterday. Surprised by how much I liked it - much more so than I did at the time. The Avengers bits they stuffed in don't seem to derail the film as much as it did at the time.
___

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34006 on: May 06, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »
Man, that new Spider-Man trailer deflated any excitement I had for it. Its just typical

quip
cg monster
quip

and on and on...

Exact opposite for me.  Because...

TEH SPOILERZ + FANBOY DRIVEL
The claim that Mysterio (who appears to be a good guy AND has super-powers- the original Mysterio is a villain and does not) is from another world changes everything up.  If this is true, they're introducing multiverses into the MCU, which will allow for crazy shit to happen (and is an easy way to bring in the X-Men and Deadpool, lol) and maybe even multiple versions of characters...including characters who died coming back from other realities.  HINT HINT.  But it also could be Mysterio being full of shit.  In fact, some already are are speculating that this being a trailer means it's all a ruse and that the Nick Fury in the film is NOT Nick Fury, but might be another classic Spidey villain, the Chameleon.  But then how would they know who Spider-Man really is?

And if there is multi-verse stuff in this movie...the name "Far From Home" takes on a completely different meaning.  The black-suited Spider-Man in the trailer...did we see his face in any other trailers?  If not, maybe that's MILES.  Holy fuck, totally excited now.  :hyper  Betting that's not it and it's just Peter though.

This can be backed up by a mini-series Marvel did a few years ago, BTW, called "Spider-Men."  Main comic universe (616) Mysterio found a way to access what was the "Ultimate" universe (separate comic line based on the various movies and is where the design for Sam Jackson Nick Fury came from, plus Miles Morales as Spider-Man) and the Mysterio in the Ultimate books was actually the 616 guy remote controlling a robot.  Then the two Spider-Men meet each other to stop him when a portal opens.  People will go insane if this actually happens.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:18:01 PM by bork »
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #34007 on: May 06, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »
Are these MCU movies getting better by the way? As I said, the first half of Captain American is my favorite so far and I‘d rate that as a 7/10 movie if iI‘m being generous.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34008 on: May 06, 2019, 01:08:57 PM »
omg, Drive is on Amazon Prime. Not the Ryan Gosling one, but the late 90's DTV kung-fu Mark Dacascos one. That movie sucked, but it has some amazing fight scenes and stunt work. I saw it for the first time on the USA Network at like 10:30am in between classes in college. I still own the DVD, but like....the DVD is way over there....and Amazon Prime is right here.

classic toku movie

Tasty

« Reply #34009 on: May 06, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »
I literally thought "this sounds like a toku movie" reading Joe's post :lol

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #34010 on: May 06, 2019, 03:07:49 PM »
Finally saw end game.

So Thor stole mjolnir from a timeline that’s totally fucked now
[close]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:33:13 PM by Joe Molotov »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34011 on: May 06, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
Finally saw end game.

So Thor stole mjolnir from a timeline that’s totally fucked now
[close]

Cap took it back at the end.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:33:21 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #34012 on: May 06, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »
Hate to be that guy but plz mark spoilars :(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #34013 on: May 06, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
KSorry

clothedmacuser

« Reply #34014 on: May 06, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
After making fun of comic book movies for a decade without ever seeing one single MCU movie, me and the wife took on the challenge of seeing all 21 of them.
Iron Man was alright, but I fell asleep the second half of that movie.  :doge
The Incredible Hulk was terrible, none of it made sense, The whole motivation of the Bruce Banner character doesn’t make any sense,
Iron Man 2 was pretty good, Mickey Rourke as the Russian dude was pretty cool casting, however the final battle was kinda anticlimactic.
Thor was a cute fish out of water story, then I fell asleep on the couch.  :doge

So that is married life?   Hmm.
sigh

BisMarckie

« Reply #34015 on: May 06, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
It was a rainy weekend. :stahp

#giantdadlife

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34016 on: May 06, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34017 on: May 06, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
Oh yeah and we started Captain America The first Avenger, but stopped because I had to prepare dinner. Has the potntial to be my favorite of those one hour in,

Cap 1 is pretty meh. Cap 2 and 3 are legit, though.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34018 on: May 06, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »
Nah

I haven't seen Thor 2 or Avengers 2, tho
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator