Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4183195 times)

Himu

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33840 on: April 26, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »
I rage quit the X-Men franchise after Last Stand and haven't watched one since (except Logan, but that barely counts).

I hated last stand so much. Check out First Class. Great reboot.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33841 on: April 26, 2019, 08:05:33 PM »
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #33842 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:47 PM »
adds to list...

Still gotta see that. Don't Breathe remains king of this new genre.
Don't Breathe is the only one i liked, it had a bit more fun with the premise.
Quiet Place was alright, but took itself too seriously, for how dumb it was.

It comes at Night also had some of that vibe, and was also a disappointment, compared to the trailer.

Didn't even bother with The Silence (seriously, looks like dollar store version of A Quiet POlace) and Birdbox, because i gave up completely on Netflix movies.

Bird box is interesting because it has so many famous actors but still manages to feel like watching a Syfy original movie.

All Netflix originals basically feel like that to me except the cartoons (which probably already have low ass budgets).

But I figure they had to pay Sandra Bullock something to be in that movie, so it’s budget probably wasn’t THAT low. Yet here we are.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33843 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »
Joe Bob night tonight :tauntaun

He read a letter from me on air a few weeks back. My god said my name. How many people can claim that?
serge

Himu

« Reply #33844 on: April 26, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »
adds to list...

Still gotta see that. Don't Breathe remains king of this new genre.
Don't Breathe is the only one i liked, it had a bit more fun with the premise.
Quiet Place was alright, but took itself too seriously, for how dumb it was.

It comes at Night also had some of that vibe, and was also a disappointment, compared to the trailer.

Didn't even bother with The Silence (seriously, looks like dollar store version of A Quiet POlace) and Birdbox, because i gave up completely on Netflix movies.

Bird box is interesting because it has so many famous actors but still manages to feel like watching a Syfy original movie.

All Netflix originals basically feel like that to me except the cartoons (which probably already have low ass budgets).

But I figure they had to pay Sandra Bullock something to be in that movie, so it’s budget probably wasn’t THAT low. Yet here we are.

That western tv show they had was good
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #33845 on: April 26, 2019, 09:01:41 PM »

I'm extremely into this
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33846 on: April 26, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
Started a rewatch of Tarkovskys 'Stalker' and I'm struck by the beginning.  Most films rush towards focusing on a single narrative, from the get, to capture you as quickly as possible but here, it feels like a world is opening up to you. And in that so many possibilities. I fucking love that feeling.

And its extension beyond that is odd in the best way. Like some narrative golden ratio.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:16:21 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

TVC15

« Reply #33847 on: April 26, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
Demon Wind is the first movie :tauntaun 🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33848 on: April 26, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »
The depths we'd dive for a semblance of inspiration. Missing the forest for the trees.

Different people in different places literally. As far as life experiences. Not representations of facets of oneself but people ready to accept different experiences.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:35:00 PM by BlueTsunami »

shosta

« Reply #33849 on: April 26, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
avengers end game
https://twitter.com/CutonDime25/status/1121841144512622594 spoil a movie for 750,000 of your followers brehs :dead
[close]
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33850 on: April 26, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
The depths we'd dive for a semblance of inspiration. Missing the forest for the trees.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #33851 on: April 26, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
speaking of avengers spoilers (like lol "spoilers" for that mess) i saw this elsewhere: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Avengers:_Endgame
As with all other movies, the plot to this movie will be needed to added. But since everyone is going nuts over the spoilers of the movie, should the plot be added as soon as anyone is ready to do it (The regular Way of editing WIKIPEDIA ARTICLES) or wait for a few days until Sunday which will mean that an exception is to be followed here regarding the plot? I will add the plot upto 26th, but can wait
Please do not add any spoilers to this movie for a couple days. The Russo Brothers clearly stated that they don't want any website spoiling Endgame. Add it on the weekend or something. Respect their wishes, please
But by doing this, you ARE spoiling it for others on here. Give it some time for people to watch the movie and then post the plot. At least give it a few days.
Hi Admin,

From one Marvel Fan to another.Please remove the plot from this page as this is spoiling the endgame.

Thank you
The plot should not summarized just yet. We should show a little respect and not post it now. And there are no real solid sources to cite. You should be aware of We Do Not Post Gossip on Wikipedia. Just chill and wait a few days until we can truly verify this plot. Please be respectful. This does not put a smile on my face.
You may or may not aware of Russo brothers constant appeal to fans to not spoil Endgame even after if u saw film don't spoil it for others.

https://twitter.com/Russo_Brothers/status/1118219449570455552 As the film just premiered it not even released someone write here the whole plot and You can't say other to avoid or its here beacuse its released in some terriotory.That are very absurd excuses. Anyway as a fan its my humle request to all Marvel fans.Please don't spoil the movie.Its the result of someone' hardwork of years. Dont spoil the Hardwork. Dont spoil the efforts. Dont spoil the Endgame.
I would summarise all this in one sentence Remove spoiler plot and DontSpoilTheEndgame.
Bro in the same way no pirated film sites asked users to watch the movie on their site but aren't they are responsible for it. From your point of view all those sites are legal??
Just beacuse most of people know spoiler its not right to put it for everyone

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33852 on: April 26, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »
Abundance vs. Extraction.

The age of manufacturing vs. exploration

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33853 on: April 26, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Started a rewatch of Tarkovskys 'Stalker' and I'm struck by the beginning.  Most films rush towards focusing on a single narrative, from the get, to capture you as quickly as possible but here, it feels like a world is opening up to you. And in that so many possibilities. I fucking love that feeling.

And its extension beyond that is odd in the best way. Like some narrative golden ratio.

Fun fact about Stalker: A huge portion of the movie was destroyed because the film was improperly processed, forcing Tarkovsky to fire the cinematographer and refilm everything with someone else. Apparently this version is quite a bit different from what was originally filmed.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

:aah
[close]
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #33854 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:03 PM »

Fun fact about Stalker: A huge portion of the movie was destroyed because the film was improperly processed, forcing Tarkovsky to fire the cinematographer and refilm everything was someone else. Apparently this version is quite a bit different from what was originally filmed.

The form given feels earnest honestly

if I've learned anything its calculated art feels gross to me. There an element of dynamism that is absolutely needed.

Himu

« Reply #33855 on: April 26, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »
Spoiler culture (or whatever it is) has gotten out of hand.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33856 on: April 26, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
Blue Velvet: Criterion Blu-Ray comes out on my birthday. I know what I'm getting myself this year.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #33857 on: April 26, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
Blue Velvet: Criterion Blu-Ray comes out on my birthday. I know what I'm getting myself this year.
Spoiler culture (or whatever it is) has gotten out of hand.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33858 on: April 27, 2019, 12:23:12 AM »

Himu

« Reply #33859 on: April 27, 2019, 12:32:13 AM »

Godzilla’s trailer was something else on the imax screen. It made me wet.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33860 on: April 27, 2019, 02:55:59 AM »
The Russo Bros are god-tier at pacing a movie. That was my takeaway from End Game.

kingv

« Reply #33861 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:11 AM »
Damn an American Godzilla movie with ghost rah? Roadan, mothers, and what looked like maybe Anguillar?

I’m assuming Jet Jaguar and King Caesar obviously made the cut.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33862 on: April 27, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
Big spoilers, but you've already seen Endgame if you are a video game player.

*Only read if you've seen the film or if you don't give a shit*

*final warning*
The plot to Endgame is very close to the plot of OCARINA OF TIME

Think about it.

- In the 'past' stones are gathered by the heroes (Link and the sages) but Ganon steals the stones and uses them for his evil designs
- He destroys / banishes the sages who could stand against him
- The world falls into a melancholy because there's no hope against this evil

*years pass*

- Link gathers the heroes again for a final confrontation with this enemy in the future (who has already won the past)
- He manages to free his captive friends and sages who all join in for one final battle
- He finally beats the big evil and reverses the land to the way it was before the calamity

If you look at the timeline it even includes 3 different ending scenario's in which the hero either succeeds or fails
Plus he has to manipulate the outcome of past events to have a different endiing in the future
[close]
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33863 on: April 27, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
Some good points, however they can

[[[[[[[[[[HEAVY SPOILERS]]]]]]]]

Continue with the adventures of Thorbowski, Meeg and Korg.
[close]
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #33864 on: April 27, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »
do not ever read
I think time travel is almost always a dumb crutch for bad writers. But if I'm going to get particularly nerdtarded about this it's in one specific way.

Thor: Ragnarok. Best film of these in ages.

Now they go back and just pick up another Mjolnar to use.

Why would you ever choose to do this? As you note, this is now a forever solution. There's no explaining it away with some kind of future criteria when you just used it to maintain but also rewrite history to Tony Stark's wishes. You've just created an endless cycle where every character, hero and villain, are time traveling endlessly to outstep each other by a millisecond all while the universe stays static except where the winner (of which there can't be one) chooses.

This is actually the original conundrum for Kang and Dr. Doom. Kang has essentially forgotten who he originally is from all the time travel. He speculates he could be Doom and a whole bunch of others throughout time. He has no reference point to anything concrete though.

They did that for the entire universe. They imported the sliding timeline of the comics, only after they put fucking dates on every single thing.

It's hacky garbage from a specific type of conceit. They already have literal deus ex machina sitting there in the Infinity Gauntlet and namely the Time Gem (or fuck, the Reality Gem, really who needs the other gems when you've got this one?), but they do this and give it a stupid "scientific" gloss thinking they've successfully waived away the narrative problems by killing off Tony Stark the only one who made it work.

I don't particularly care about these movies too much but I was "offended" by this in a way that other "dumb blockbusters" like Star Trek 2009 and The Dark Knight Rises similarly made me hate the writers for doing unnecessary garbage they thought made their story more complex yet wrapped up everything while it actually just introduced literally every plot hole into what should have been straightforward.

But I like the individual films more than the "shared universe" of this and always did because the only "shared" part was we eventually get to see everybody fight Thanos and that was it. No theme at all. And in this case, it's actually two separate Thanoses with totally different motivations who are killed instantly by someone who comes in late without resolving anything. One who was doing everything to get the Gems for a totally stupid nonsense reason but at least was a purpose, and another one who just up and fucking time travels to the future to kill errybody. (Except Black Widow, who nobody bothers to go back and save for some reason.)

even worse, potentially the very worst
Also how about everybody coming back after FIVE YEARS of agony for their loved ones, totally fine and unaged while they lived through an apparent hell. How did nobody question this particular mechanic to the resolution? And every character literally accepts it because it's what fucking Tony Stark wants? He's dead, fuck him and whatever he built in a cave, with a box of scraps.
:umad
[close]
[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33865 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:16 AM »
When Cap was returning the Soul Gem why didn’t he pick up an extra Natasha or grab a spare Tony while he was in New York. What a dick.
[close]
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #33866 on: April 27, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
change reality with this one weird trick

THANOS HATES HIM

Himu

« Reply #33867 on: April 27, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
Yeah so. A day later. Had time to stir my thoughts. I really liked Endgame.

- Fat Thor is the best.

- the intimate, somber tone of the first half is how you sell me on your story and world. The monument to the vanished really hit home. It felt like in Infinity War half the galaxy’s Population dies but it was hard to care because they only showed the heroes perishing. But the heroes are fighting for the galaxy. Hard to care for that galaxy if you don’t see it yourself. Endgame fixes this. The punches are hard and sobering. It’s hard for the high action bits to connect, of which there were many in Infinity War, without slow development. I’m glad they emphasized this in Endgame. In the end, Infinity War just felt like one giant setup movie for me which in many ways makes it worse.

- Definitive endings all around. I loved seeing Cap get to live his life with Carter like he deserved. “Proof that Tony Stark has a heart” made me cry.

- what is the point of Captain Marvel?

- The original Avengers movie was one of my favorite comic book movies at release and it still remains that because at the time it was most comic-y comic book ever made. This movie topped that shit in the best of ways.

- Cap holding Thor’s hammer had me going wild. My man.

- Gamora’s sister made me want to die. Something about that character annoys the piss out of me.
[close]

- I was disappointed by Ultron, Civil War, and Infinity War. None of them lived up to the original Avengers movie. Endgame finally topped it.

- Unfortunately I have less interest in the Avengers going forward. I just don’t think “Avengers” with that cast. In the comics Spider-Man is an Avenger too and I don’t like it there either. But Even though Spidey is my favorite hero by 9999 times, I’ve never felt he was good at the world saving hero stuff. He’s more like Daredevil or Batman - doing street level shit. I don’t think he’s added anything to the Avengers movies so far. And the rest kind of draw an emotional blank for me. But we’ll see what they do next with the new team. I’m just not sold on them yet. There is Black Panther though so there’s that. When it comes Avengers and Avengers comics I’ve always been one biased towards Classic Avengers (Thor, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk). So it’ll be interesting how they fill in that gap next time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:05:24 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33868 on: April 27, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »
do not ever read
I think time travel is almost always a dumb crutch for bad writers. But if I'm going to get particularly nerdtarded about this it's in one specific way.

Why would you ever choose to do this? As you note, this is now a forever solution. There's no explaining it away with some kind of future criteria when you just used it to maintain but also rewrite history to Tony Stark's wishes. You've just created an endless cycle where every character, hero and villain, are time traveling endlessly to outstep each other by a millisecond all while the universe stays static except where the winner (of which there can't be one) chooses.

This is actually the original conundrum for Kang and Dr. Doom. Kang has essentially forgotten who he originally is from all the time travel. He speculates he could be Doom and a whole bunch of others throughout time. He has no reference point to anything concrete though.

They did that for the entire universe. They imported the sliding timeline of the comics, only after they put fucking dates on every single thing.

It's hacky garbage from a specific type of conceit. They already have literal deus ex machina sitting there in the Infinity Gauntlet and namely the Time Gem (or fuck, the Reality Gem, really who needs the other gems when you've got this one?), but they do this and give it a stupid "scientific" gloss thinking they've successfully waived away the narrative problems by killing off Tony Stark the only one who made it work.

I don't particularly care about these movies too much but I was "offended" by this in a way that other "dumb blockbusters" like Star Trek 2009 and The Dark Knight Rises similarly made me hate the writers for doing unnecessary garbage they thought made their story more complex yet wrapped up everything while it actually just introduced literally every plot hole into what should have been straightforward.

But I like the individual films more than the "shared universe" of this and always did because the only "shared" part was we eventually get to see everybody fight Thanos and that was it. No theme at all. And in this case, it's actually two separate Thanoses with totally different motivations who are killed instantly by someone who comes in late without resolving anything. One who was doing everything to get the Gems for a totally stupid nonsense reason but at least was a purpose, and another one who just up and fucking time travels to the future to kill errybody. (Except Black Widow, who nobody bothers to go back and save for some reason.)

Also how about everybody coming back after FIVE YEARS of agony for their loved ones, totally fine and unaged while they lived through an apparent hell. How did nobody question this particular mechanic to the resolution? And every character literally accepts it because it's what fucking Tony Stark wants? He's dead, fuck him and whatever he built in a cave, with a box of scraps.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Time travel plays a huge part in a lot of shit this year. It’s insane. Dammit, Barry!
[close]
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33869 on: April 27, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
When Cap was returning the Soul Gem why didn’t he pick up an extra Natasha or grab a spare Tony while he was in New York. What a dick.
[close]

Or erase slavery. MK11 >>>> Endgame
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33870 on: April 27, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
do not ever read

[close]
[close]
[close]

SPOILARS
In this movie it sorta worked to use time travel because it was the end of the entire story of these movies. The throwbacks to the old films were really well made.

When Black Widow has War Machine fight cartel bosses in Mexico, you can pretty much sense that the others have sort of given up on fixing every little thing.

For Black Widow there's no place in this post-Thanos world. She sacrificed herself to defeat the 'ultimate' evil. She will never find a bigger evil to destroy so she would forever be stuck sending War Machine around the world to deal with bad guys until he got sick of it. Never finding peace or closure. What she did 'defeated' Thanos. Her mission(to rid the world of evil) at that point was complete. She had no attachments outside of the Avengers and even if she likes Clint he already has a family and sees her more like a friend than a love interest. The same for Bruce who considers her a friend and his Hulk-syndrome makes it impossible for him to have any sort of meaningful relationships anyway. Finally there's Cap who already met the love his life and sees her more like a sister.

Overall her story arc is the saddest.

I feel that is why Captain America didn't bring her back even though he mentioned that he tried. Because in a world without Thanos and without a purpose she would've probably killed herself or somehow turned evil again.
Cap had already seen what happened when Bucky returned and even when he got back himself. He wanted to spare her that pain of feeling useless.

Captain Marvel with powers far exceeding Black Widow is already the guardian of the universe.
[close]
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #33871 on: April 27, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
They might explain it in her movie that's starting filming in June!

Himu

« Reply #33872 on: April 27, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Widow dying was the biggest bummer. I liked her the most.
[close]
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33873 on: April 27, 2019, 12:56:54 PM »

This was very different than the trailer I saw yesterday! It's even better! :o

So many dope monster movies lately with Kong: Skull Island and Shin Godzilla.

I might have to marathon Godzilla movies. I'm TOTALLY in the Gojira mood! :bow
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33874 on: April 27, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
Endgame was a waste of my time, thought it was mediocre. The only thing I genuinely enjoyed was
fat thor, went from the most boring to the best char for me over two movies
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33875 on: April 27, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
Widow dying was the biggest bummer. I liked her the most.
[close]

She was looking hot as hell again once she got the expository hair/eye brow change :mouf
Scarlett  :heart

And her scenes were much less CG focused this time.  :whew
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33876 on: April 27, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 + Fat Thor is gonna be the best MCU movie since Ragnarok.
[close]
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33877 on: April 27, 2019, 01:37:05 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 + Fat Thor is gonna be the best MCU movie since Ragnarok.
[close]
:rejoice

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33878 on: April 27, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »
I was really impressed how they handled Banner/Hulk. The way they mo-capped Ruffalo’s face onto the CGI body made me forget I was watching a CGI character.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33879 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
Watched Vice.

What a rollercoaster of a movie. The pacing is a bit off though. Like 'the big short' it has these moments when the movie explains stuff to the viewer but those came up a bit too frequently.
They got all of the details right though. They had to walk a fine line to not make Cheney seem like some devilish plotter but simply calculating and loyal and they nailed that perfectly.

Steve Carell as Rumsfeld worked surprsingly well also and Sam Rockwell as Bush did the mannerisms perfect. Although you could say that Bush is portrayed a bit too much as an 'innocent' bystander in this movie.

🤴

TVC15

« Reply #33880 on: April 27, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
The first four minutes of Microwave Massacre, free on Amazon Prime, is Pure Cinema and everyone here should watch it. It will wash that Avengers garbage out of your eyes.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33881 on: April 27, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »
Watched Vice.

What a rollercoaster of a movie. The pacing is a bit off though. Like 'the big short' it has these moments when the movie explains stuff to the viewer but those came up a bit too frequently.
They got all of the details right though. They had to walk a fine line to not make Cheney seem like some devilish plotter but simply calculating and loyal and they nailed that perfectly.

Steve Carell as Rumsfeld worked surprsingly well also and Sam Rockwell as Bush did the mannerisms perfect. Although you could say that Bush is portrayed a bit too much as an 'innocent' bystander in this movie.

My impression is that IRL Dubya is a college-bro type with daddy issues, and was happy to let Rumsfeld and Cheney pretty much set policy and do the day-to-day.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33882 on: April 27, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »
Cheered? In a theatre?

Is this an American thing

As an American in a Japanese theater, you could say it is inherently American in this context.

shosta

« Reply #33883 on: April 27, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »

sorry chrono
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33884 on: April 27, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »
Endgame was a waste of my time, thought it was mediocre. The only thing I genuinely enjoyed was
fat thor, went from the most boring to the best char for me over two movies
[close]

You didn't like Thor: Ragnarok?  Really enjoyed that one. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33885 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:34 PM »
Gojira/Godzilla (1954)

Few films manage to make the cultural impact of the original Godzilla. Unfortunately, after half a century of kiddy, cookie cutter, even outright cool interpretations, the original has lost its original splash. Now when people think of Godzilla we think of either cheese, bad effects, or balls to the wall monster action. However, the original was a response to a nearly decade long national anxiety due to the aftermath of the atom bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The original Godzilla is deeply political and terrifying. After underwater H bomb tests destroys its natural habitat, Godzilla comes up from its prehistoric, deep sea crevice for retribution on humanity. It sinks ships, eats humans, causes tsunamis. A walking H-bomb due to the radiation from the underwater tests, Godzilla stands as a literal walking example of national fear and anxiety.

Often in Godzilla movies they struggle to get right the balance between concentrating on humans versus concentrating on the King of Monsters. Here, it's balanced. We see Godzilla terrorizing Tokyo as mothers cradle their crying children lulling them as they offer the peace that death will bring: a reunion with their father. Then we watch as Godzilla crushes the building they're in. In other Godzilla movies, we're used to seeing people flee from it, destroy buildings but that's usually confetti to make Godzilla look rather than terrifying. Eventually, a scientists uncovers a way to kill Godzilla but doing so means unveiling a weapon far more deadly than the H-bomb. What happens is a philosophical juncture: do we suffer Godzilla destroying the world as a result of man-made weaponry, or do we up the stakes and unveil and even more deadly weapon for survival?

The original Godzilla is a deeply terrifying, butt clenching drama that has aged wonderfully over half a century after its creation that still remains as relevant then as it does now. It remains the king of all monster movies that have since lost what made the original so poignant.

Godzilla '54 is a textbook case example of why great film is almost never made in a bubble. Knowing the cultural attitudes and historicity of the times and place it was created in makes the movie all the grander, and illuminates its message as if held up by the bolstering strength of the great beast himself.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:07:12 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #33886 on: April 27, 2019, 11:03:29 PM »
You watched the original, not king of monsters, right?
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #33887 on: April 27, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
You watched the original, not king of monsters, right?

uh yeah
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33888 on: April 27, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
Saw Avengers: Endgame this morning.  Earliest show available...still got out of there at 1:30 PM.  Holy shit, that was a long movie.  But it was enjoyable and I think at this point you know if you want to sit through these movies or not.

I thought this was a good way to end the whole "Infinite" storyline and really wonder how they're going to proceed, going forward.  At the moment, they don't even have anything coming after Spider-Man, IIRC- I think 2020 has two placeholder dates, but they haven't started filming anything, or have they?  ???

Spoiler-filled thoughts:
-The world seemed to be presented as pretty chill, considering so many people were erased and governments were essentially gone.  :doge

-Drunken, fat Thor was fucking great.  Loved everything he did in this movie and really liked the Korg (and his little buddy) cameo with them playing Fortnite and yelling at some little kid trolling them.  :lol  This is the kind of shit I enjoy in these movies.  Ditto with the dumb photo-taking banter between Hulk and Ant-Man at the diner and War Machine and Nebula watching Star-Lord dance around.  :lol 

-Didn't like how present time-Thanos went down like a bitch and was taken out so easily in the beginning, but I guess this was foreshadowing how using the gauntlet takes a lot out of you for the later scenes.

-The theater didn't seem to know how to react to Black Widow killing herself to get the soul stone to appear.  You could hear people crying during other parts of the movie, but here...silence.  :lol  Poor ScarJo. 

-I would have liked to have seen just a little bit more from Clint as Ronin instead of just getting it relayed that he went and killed a bunch of drug dealers in Mexico.  The whole "stereotypical TOKYO WHERE YAKUZA ALL HAVE KATANA AND FIGHT LIKE SAMURAI" thing was just kinda there, then he's basically Hawkeye again after this.  Black Widow popping up was seriously enough to get him stop rage-killing after his family was gone?

-LOL at the amount of time Captain Marvel had in this movie.  Was it even five minutes of screen time?  :lol  Just seems kinda funny after Infinite War ends with Fury using the pager to summon her, the buildup to her coming with her origin movie, and then...she was basically just kind of there.

-The time travel stuff was a lot of fun, but also caused a lot of plot holes and just general fuckery.  This is usually the case with time travel movies, so whatever, I guess, but for shits n' giggles:

-They never mentioned anything about 2012 Loki getting a stone and warping out of NYC.  Seems like kind of a big deal since that changes the outcome of the first Avengers storyline.  Is this supposed to mean a different alternate timeline?  Are we supposed to not worry about that and then this will be used to explain how Loki comes back later, either in a movie or his upcoming TV series?

-Really liked how The Ancient One already knew everything that was going to happen and implied Dr. Strange did, too, following what he did at the end of Infinite War.  Funny that she basically did a Doc Brown when explaining timeline stuff, even though they made more than one BttF joke about how that's not how time travel stuff works, lol.

-Seen this pop up in a few places already: Steve going back to the 40s, to be with Peggy, creates so many problems.  She was already married and had kids.  So they're gone now?  What about him being back there and doing nothing to prevent all the other shit that happens, like Hydra taking over SHIELD, Bucky being used as the Winter Soldier, and all the events of the previous movies?
 :dizzy

-But am totally fine with this being his send-off and giving the shield to Falcon.  It mirrors the comics anyway, albeit differently- a few years ago, after a storyline where he was aged to an old man, he did the same thing and we got Falcon Captain America for a bit. 

-This also leaves the door wide open for Captain America to come back, should Evans come back or a different actor pops up- either do something to de-age old man Steve or just grab him back from the past.  I guess the latter could easily be used to bring back anyone who died, but it's not like we haven't had Captain America and Iron Man die and come back already in the comics.  They could easily do something with Iron Man where he gets a cloned body that looks different (new actor) and reveal that he backed up his memories (as cheesy as this is, the comics have done this!) in case of an emergency or whatever.

-Taking the stones from the past and using them (then returning them)...OK.  But how the hell do you explain Thor taking his hammer?  What I mean is...wouldn't past Thor be freaking the fuck out over his hammer being missing, or are we supposed to just think that Steve returned the hammer to the exact moment when it was taken?

-What about returning the stones?  How the hell did Captain America do this?   :lol  Most of them were not in gem form and hidden in some pretty hard to find or access places.  What about the soul stone?  How the hell do you return that?  UN-KILL somebody?  Wouldn't that mean Steve also meets the Red Skull on that planet?  How did that go down?  :dizzy  This shit could be a movie by itself!
[close]

[close]

It's funny though- but seriously...why didn't they do this?   :lol 
I mean, we have past Gamora in the present time and nobody seemed to mind.  Why not bring back the characters who didn't make it?  Cap had no problem fucking with time to go marry Peggy Carter!   Poor Vision, too.  Not even a mention in Endgame.  :lol
[close]

Also: If Endgame takes place five years later, why the hell is Spider-Man still in high school in the upcoming movie? Like, OK, you could say "well he was gone from the snap and came back," but...what about all his classmates who didn't get dusted?  LOL if that movie tries to explain this with "the whole class was gone!"
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33889 on: April 27, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
Saw Avengers: Endgame this morning.  Earliest show available...still got out of there at 1:30 PM.  Holy shit, that was a long movie.  But it was enjoyable and I think at this point you know if you want to sit through these movies or not.

I thought this was a good way to end the whole "Infinite" storyline and really wonder how they're going to proceed, going forward.  At the moment, they don't even have anything coming after Spider-Man, IIRC- I think 2020 has two placeholder dates, but they haven't started filming anything, or have they?  ???

Spoiler-filled thoughts:
-The world seemed to be presented as pretty chill, considering so many people were erased and governments were essentially gone.  :doge

-Drunken, fat Thor was fucking great.  Loved everything he did in this movie and really liked the Korg (and his little buddy) cameo with them playing Fortnite and yelling at some little kid trolling them.  :lol  This is the kind of shit I enjoy in these movies.  Ditto with the dumb photo-taking banter between Hulk and Ant-Man at the diner and War Machine and Nebula watching Star-Lord dance around.  :lol 

-Didn't like how present time-Thanos went down like a bitch and was taken out so easily in the beginning, but I guess this was foreshadowing how using the gauntlet takes a lot out of you for the later scenes.

-The theater didn't seem to know how to react to Black Widow killing herself to get the soul stone to appear.  You could hear people crying during other parts of the movie, but here...silence.  :lol  Poor ScarJo. 

-I would have liked to have seen just a little bit more from Clint as Ronin instead of just getting it relayed that he went and killed a bunch of drug dealers in Mexico.  The whole "stereotypical TOKYO WHERE YAKUZA ALL HAVE KATANA AND FIGHT LIKE SAMURAI" thing was just kinda there, then he's basically Hawkeye again after this.  Black Widow popping up was seriously enough to get him stop rage-killing after his family was gone?

-LOL at the amount of time Captain Marvel had in this movie.  Was it even five minutes of screen time?  :lol  Just seems kinda funny after Infinite War ends with Fury using the pager to summon her, the buildup to her coming with her origin movie, and then...she was basically just kind of there.

-The time travel stuff was a lot of fun, but also caused a lot of plot holes and just general fuckery.  This is usually the case with time travel movies, so whatever, I guess, but for shits n' giggles:

-They never mentioned anything about 2012 Loki getting a stone and warping out of NYC.  Seems like kind of a big deal since that changes the outcome of the first Avengers storyline.  Is this supposed to mean a different alternate timeline?  Are we supposed to not worry about that and then this will be used to explain how Loki comes back later, either in a movie or his upcoming TV series?

-Really liked how The Ancient One already knew everything that was going to happen and implied Dr. Strange did, too, following what he did at the end of Infinite War.  Funny that she basically did a Doc Brown when explaining timeline stuff, even though they made more than one BttF joke about how that's not how time travel stuff works, lol.

-Seen this pop up in a few places already: Steve going back to the 40s, to be with Peggy, creates so many problems.  She was already married and had kids.  So they're gone now?  What about him being back there and doing nothing to prevent all the other shit that happens, like Hydra taking over SHIELD, Bucky being used as the Winter Soldier, and all the events of the previous movies?
 :dizzy

-But am totally fine with this being his send-off and giving the shield to Falcon.  It mirrors the comics anyway, albeit differently- a few years ago, after a storyline where he was aged to an old man, he did the same thing and we got Falcon Captain America for a bit. 

-This also leaves the door wide open for Captain America to come back, should Evans come back or a different actor pops up- either do something to de-age old man Steve or just grab him back from the past.  I guess the latter could easily be used to bring back anyone who died, but it's not like we haven't had Captain America and Iron Man die and come back already in the comics.  They could easily do something with Iron Man where he gets a cloned body that looks different (new actor) and reveal that he backed up his memories (as cheesy as this is, the comics have done this!) in case of an emergency or whatever.

-Taking the stones from the past and using them (then returning them)...OK.  But how the hell do you explain Thor taking his hammer?  What I mean is...wouldn't past Thor be freaking the fuck out over his hammer being missing, or are we supposed to just think that Steve returned the hammer to the exact moment when it was taken?

-What about returning the stones?  How the hell did Captain America do this?   :lol  Most of them were not in gem form and hidden in some pretty hard to find or access places.  What about the soul stone?  How the hell do you return that?  UN-KILL somebody?  Wouldn't that mean Steve also meets the Red Skull on that planet?  How did that go down?  :dizzy  This shit could be a movie by itself!
[close]

[close]

It's funny though- but seriously...why didn't they do this?   :lol 
I mean, we have past Gamora in the present time and nobody seemed to mind.  Why not bring back the characters who didn't make it?  Cap had no problem fucking with time to go marry Peggy Carter!   Poor Vision, too.  Not even a mention in Endgame.  :lol
[close]

Also: If Endgame takes place five years later, why the hell is Spider-Man still in high school in the upcoming movie? Like, OK, you could say "well he was gone from the snap and came back," but...what about all his classmates who didn't get dusted?  LOL if that movie tries to explain this with "the whole class was gone!"

The whole school scene with peter was awful. Peter was one of the vanished. Certainly even people he wasn't close with would give him a hug and throw a whole mother fucking ceremony. Instead he's alone and there's his friend to greet him.
[close]

I don't know if I'm being nitpicky but I can very nitpicky when it comes to Spider-Man. Because he's the GOAT and everything.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33890 on: April 27, 2019, 11:28:28 PM »

The whole school scene with peter was awful. Peter was one of the vanished. Certainly even people he wasn't close with would give him a hug and throw a whole mother fucking ceremony. Instead he's alone and there's his friend to greet him.
[close]

I don't know if I'm being nitpicky but I can very nitpicky when it comes to Spider-Man. Because he's the GOAT and everything.

It does seem a little nitpicky, yeah.   

It was just a second or two long part of the montage to show Ned and whatnot.  You have to assume that Peter wasn't the only kid who was gone in that school anyway.
[close]

Maybe Spider-Man 2 will even touch on this stuff in the beginning?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33891 on: April 27, 2019, 11:29:08 PM »
Oh, and Nebula:

Shouldn't she have been erased from existence after killing her past self?
[close]

???
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33892 on: April 27, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »
Nebula is a terrible character. Am I the only one who hates her?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #33893 on: April 27, 2019, 11:32:52 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Forgotten Mid-Credits Scene

[Pan up to four straight white men sitting on thrones]

Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (in unison): Not our problem. C-T-C. Cut. The. Check. :playa

[Cut to regular credit scroll]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #33894 on: April 28, 2019, 12:08:40 AM »
Oh, and Nebula:

Shouldn't she have been erased from existence after killing her past self?
[close]

???

That whole universe lost Thanos, his army, Gemora, Nebula, etc. It became a new timeline, I guess, so she didn't fuck over her own timeline at that point.
[close]

shosta

« Reply #33895 on: April 28, 2019, 12:46:11 AM »
favorite part of end game:

[close]
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #33896 on: April 28, 2019, 12:57:15 AM »

This trailer is now a spoiler for Avengers: Endgame.

Himu

« Reply #33897 on: April 28, 2019, 04:06:19 AM »

This trailer is now a spoiler for Avengers: Endgame.

Why is Spider-Man having a movie not in NYC? Spider-Man is literally made for NYC because of the skyscrapers. London has 19 skyscrapers vs NYC's 273. London has less skyscrapers than Houston and...

IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33898 on: April 28, 2019, 05:51:00 AM »
Yeah, yeah, Endgame whatevs. I just want to say how much I appreciate that there's any other talk round' here about flipping David Lynch or anything else. Thanks for being awesome ya'all.

FWIW I think Mulholland Drive is a better film then humanity deserves. Godzilla 54' has a wonderful sense of despair and creeping dread. Love that movie.

Lots of films are labeled as 'talky', Mike Leigh's new work Peterloo is the rare film that's 'speechy'. It chronicles the events, motivations, and key players leading up to and including the Peterloo massacre of 1815 wherein a British pro-democracy protest was vehemently punished for their insolence. A great deal of the film consists of quite literal rabble rousing, as one minor figure makes an impassioned political speech before ceding the opportunity to further opine to another slightly less minor historical figure. Its an easier film to respect than to love, as the cumulative effect so very many eloquent expressions of righteous indignation over time becomes numbing even as the plot, such as it is, makes each one more important. There's also some well realized characters (Rory Kinnear as Henry Hunt stands out as a right minded stuffed shirt) and some of the best dang period detail you'll see outside of Barry Lyndon. I did like this film, but for the first time ever keeping up with a Mike Leigh film seemed more like work than I was accustomed to.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:42:51 AM by HyperZoneWasAwesome »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #33899 on: April 28, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »
Saw Endgame.

Liked it.

It's more fun of you just ignore all the potential consequences of the different timeline malarkey and just treat it like the popcorn movie it is.
[close]

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:10:31 AM by Potato »
Spud