Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4183286 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34020 on: May 06, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
watching Eraserhead  :delicious
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #34021 on: May 06, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »
Rewatched Iron Man 1 recently, I was so convinced it'd hold up really well but it mostly doesn't. Probably cause the rest of the MCU took that formula and ran it into the ground lol.

It's striking how low the stakes are compared to most of the later Marvel movies.

Reminds me of the 2005 Fantastic Four. I forget who, but some poster explained it as "Dr. Doom's villainous plan to disrupt traffic" and that's basically what Jeff Bridges was doing by the end. On that note, wish they'd found another villain so they could have kept Bridges around for longer.

I thought Civil War was rather average, Winter Soldier is probably the best non-space MCU movie.

GoTG and Thor Ragnarok are in the league of their own for me;  genuinely funny and creative films.

I'll co-sign that. Also really liked Homecoming. It was just delightful and adorable.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34022 on: May 06, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »
Stoked for Far From Home.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34024 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #34025 on: May 07, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
Just learned today they are making a solo Black Widow movie. Why? I can't think of one interesting comic storyline she was apart of. Back when I collected comics she was one of those characters they never knew what to do with so they plugged her into a bunch of different things that didn't work.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34026 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
Just learned today they are making a solo Black Widow movie. Why? I can't think of one interesting comic storyline she was apart of. Back when I collected comics she was one of those characters they never knew what to do with so they plugged her into a bunch of different things that didn't work.

Not an expert by any means but she was okay a bit player in DareDevil. Born Again by Miller for instance.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34027 on: May 07, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
omg, Drive is on Amazon Prime. Not the Ryan Gosling one, but the late 90's DTV kung-fu Mark Dacascos one. That movie sucked, but it has some amazing fight scenes and stunt work. I saw it for the first time on the USA Network at like 10:30am in between classes in college. I still own the DVD, but like....the DVD is way over there....and Amazon Prime is right here.

Yeah always heard good things on that one. There's one about snipers and Tony Todd playing the villain which is pretty decent too.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #34028 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars-film-will-star-arriving-in-2022-1834584244

Reality literally turning into an old RLM joke right before our eyes

What a time to be alive

Tasty

« Reply #34029 on: May 07, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
Tony Todd is fucking awesome and the best part of Flash season 2.

Actually he's the best part of anything he's in.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34030 on: May 07, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-wars-film-will-star-arriving-in-2022-1834584244

What a time to be alive

pretty sure they've been talking about another trilogy for years now - like back around Force Awakens
___

Tasty

« Reply #34031 on: May 07, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »

What a time to be alive

pretty sure they've been talking about another trilogy for years now - like back around Force Awakens

It's never really been secret knowledge that Disney intends to milk the franchise from here until the end of time (I'd say until they go out of business, but the end of time itself is more likely to happen first.) But seeing them dated (before the finale of the current trilogy is even out) and alongside the rest of the lineup just hammers it home so clearly.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34032 on: May 07, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
I mean they were talking about two additional trilogies around TLJ, with one be a new one headed up by Rian Johnson. If anything they're downsizing.
___

Tasty

« Reply #34033 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
I mean they were talking about two additional trilogies around TLJ, with one be a new one headed up by Rian Johnson. If anything they're downsizing.

That's true... :thinking

That kind of hard course correction reminds me of WB/DC. :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34034 on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
Might have decided to scale back on Star Wars because of TLJ backlash and Solo flopping, but them taking on 4 Avatar movies courtesy of the Fox acquisition might have factored in as well.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34035 on: May 07, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
I expect Avatar not to make it to 5 movies and the whole thing get dropped after whatever one is currently being filmed or in post.

People thought OG Avatar was gonna be a flop, too. :trumps
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34036 on: May 07, 2019, 05:25:41 PM »
I expect Avatar not to make it to 5 movies and the whole thing get dropped after whatever one is currently being filmed or in post.

Yeah about that lol

They are filming simultaneously.

James Cameron will have the highest first week revenue of straight-to-DVD trash :playa

Tasty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34038 on: May 07, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »

Yeah about that lol

They are filming simultaneously.

2 and 3 are in post production. 4 and 5 haven't started filming and I'd be surprised if they ever do. It's been 10 fucking years since Avatar 1.

Bruh, these movies are gonna make $1 billion each just in China.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34039 on: May 07, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
Maybe I will. :trumps
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34040 on: May 07, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »
 :win
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34041 on: May 07, 2019, 05:38:12 PM »
The Dacascos / Todd / Carrie Anne Moss film is Sabotage.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #34042 on: May 07, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Cap 1 is better than it has a right to be. Joe Johnston is ehhhh in general, plus "it's an origin movie?"

I held off on watching it until right before Civil War just cause I thought WWII is boring, origin stories are boring, and yeah Cap is cool now post-Avengers but how cool was he before that?

Then I watch the movie and it's so well paced and acted that I kinda forgot all those complaints and just enjoyed the ride.

nudemacusers

« Reply #34043 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
Avatar 2 will be the new record holder, book it.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #34044 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »

James Cameron will have the highest first week revenue of straight-to-DVD trash :playa

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34045 on: May 07, 2019, 06:52:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/crankycraig/status/1125871062250483712

Do it you cowards!
When Tommorowland flopped they had just about greenlit Tron 3 and then scrapped it  :-\
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #34046 on: May 07, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »
Cap 1 is better than it has a right to be. Joe Johnston is ehhhh in general, plus "it's an origin movie?"

I held off on watching it until right before Civil War just cause I thought WWII is boring, origin stories are boring, and yeah Cap is cool now post-Avengers but how cool was he before that?

Then I watch the movie and it's so well paced and acted that I kinda forgot all those complaints and just enjoyed the ride.

I liked it as well, the first MCU movie of the 5 I have watched that I genuinely liked. I didn‘t think it was great, but it was a solid popcorn flick.
As someone who didn‘t really know who Captain America is, I appreciated the origin story.  :doge

nudemacusers

« Reply #34047 on: May 07, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

Avatar won the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects, and was nominated for a total of nine, including Best Picture and Best Director.[31] Avatar also won the 67th Golden Globe Awards for Best Motion Picture – Drama and Best Director, and was nominated for two others.[272] At the 36th Saturn Awards, Avatar won all ten awards it was nominated for: Best Science Fiction Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Director, Best Writing, Best Music, Best Production Design and Best Special Effects.

*looks up infinity war*

Well they got a couple teen choice awards wins  :playa
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #34048 on: May 07, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/crankycraig/status/1125871062250483712

Do it you cowards!
When Tommorowland flopped they had just about greenlit Tron 3 and then scrapped it  :-\

Fucking Ayn Rand bullshit ruining everything :rage

nudemacusers

« Reply #34049 on: May 07, 2019, 07:12:33 PM »
The last tron movie was so empty and soulless why even ask for another  :-\
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

BisMarckie

« Reply #34050 on: May 07, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
Avatar was one of the most boring movies I have ever watched in the theater. Not as boring as The Village, but it was close.

I am also convinced that most people watched that movie because they were degenerates who were aroused by giant blue cat people.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34051 on: May 07, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
Avatar was one of the most boring movies I have ever watched in the theater. Not as boring as The Village, but it was close.

I am also convinced that most people watched that movie because they were degenerates who were aroused by giant blue cat people.

Don't kink shame, bruh.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34052 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:10 PM »
The last tron movie was so empty and soulless why even ask for another  :-\

Because I'm empty and soulless too.
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #34053 on: May 07, 2019, 07:18:44 PM »
I think the last truly wretched big-budget film I saw was that last knight transformers movie. A total mess of brainless jumbled action sequences and editing cuts that are supposed to keep you amped but just makes the whole thing glossy sludge. Makes you appreciate how well stuff like infinity war/endgame (two recent examples I’ve seen) are structured.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

shosta

« Reply #34054 on: May 08, 2019, 01:37:39 AM »
每天生气

nudemacusers

« Reply #34055 on: May 08, 2019, 06:18:10 AM »
Avatar 2 will feature furry mpreg and make 5 billion 💵
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34056 on: May 08, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34057 on: May 08, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34058 on: May 08, 2019, 10:32:15 AM »
I'm watching more gialli.

All the Colors of the Dark (1972)

Starring Atra:

and TVC:

This is kind of a weird one. It starts out fairly normal: Jane is having nightmares after a car accident caused her to miscarry, she's got a boyfriend that's acting a bit shifty and is always gone on business trips, she thinks the man from her nightmares is stalking her but she's also afraid that she's becoming delusional. Okay, decent setup. Then she meets her new neighbor Mary who's like "You know what might cure those nightmares? Going to a black mass!" And now we are truly off to the races.

Jane goes with Mary to the black mass. Everything's going well right up to the point where the high priest sacrifices a dog, makes Jane drink the blood, and then rapes her. :yikes

Jane feels like her reality is starting to fracture, so she doesn't tell anyone about this. She briefly stops having the nightmares and starts feeling more upbeat, but then she sees the stalker again and has a panic attack. Mary convinces her to go back to the Satan cult one more time, and have sex with the high priest again and that she will be free from the nightmare once and for all. Jane does, but afterwards she learns that she is to become Mary's replacement in the cult and then she has to sacrifice Mary to complete her initiation. In a drug-induced delirium, she stabs a willing Mary and then faints. She wakes up later, hoping that it was only a nightmare, and is greeted by the high priest and the man from her nightmares (who it turns out is the cult's enforcer) who show her Mary's corpse to prove that it was not just a dream. She finds out that her mother and sister were both witches, and that she was always destined to become a witch too. She faints again and wakes up back at her apartment. She rushes to Mary apartment, only to discover that Mary never actually lived there, and that the apartment is owned by a little old lady who had left the apartment vacant for the past two weeks.

The last act of the movie is Jane running from the cult, the cult enforcer killing everyone that tries to help her, Jane losing her mind, and then the final twist...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The cult didn't really exist, and was actually part of an elaborate scheme by her sister to get her half of the inheritance that she didn't know about. The shifty boyfriend was actually totally on the up-and-up and kills the sister after she tries to seduce him into her plan. The police arrest all the "cult" members, except for the high priest that Jane kills during a rooftop struggle. But Jane realizes the nightmares that she'd been having were actually premonitions, and that maybe her family really are witches.
[close]

Pretty wild ride. The last act is a little too mundane and the ending was a little too tidy, but I enjoyed it.
3/5
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:39:55 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34059 on: May 08, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »
I'm watching more gialli.

All the Colors of the Dark (1972)
Shout out to Grails' remake of the music:

(the OG: )

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34060 on: May 08, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »

Wasn't the last movie a reboot?

Also, Goyer is S-tier garbage.

I don't even know at this point...

https://www.dreadcentral.com/editorials/293720/why-the-new-pinhead-hell-priest-should-definitely-be-female-in-the-hellraiser-reboot/

SJW have finally gone too far! :rage

Sexy Pinhead tho :mouf
[close]

In the book the head cenobite was a  :quark though.

The cenobites were different altogether iirc.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34061 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:27 PM »

Wasn't the last movie a reboot?

Also, Goyer is S-tier garbage.

I don't even know at this point...

https://www.dreadcentral.com/editorials/293720/why-the-new-pinhead-hell-priest-should-definitely-be-female-in-the-hellraiser-reboot/

[close]

In the book the head cenobite was a  :quark though.

The cenobites were different altogether iirc.
[close]

Oh, I know. Pinhead was a distinguished effete fellow in the book.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34062 on: May 08, 2019, 02:06:16 PM »
Did I just press play on a video that tells me it's going to unlock a trailer in 21 hours?  wtf. 

shosta

« Reply #34063 on: May 08, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
每天生气

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34064 on: May 08, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
Goyer Hellraiser :( They found a way to make something shittier than tubby pinhead :(
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34065 on: May 08, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »
Goyer Hellraiser :( They found a way to make something shittier than tubby pinhead :(
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=43180.msg2619901#msg2619901

nudemacusers

« Reply #34066 on: May 08, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »

[close]
I’d actually like if he came across as androgynous, it would mirror the text more closely:

“What city is this?” One of the four en- quired; Frank had difficulty guessing the speaker’s gender with any certainty. Its clothes, some of which were sewn to and through its skin, hid its private parts, and there was nothing in the dregs of its voice, or in its willfully disfigured features that offered the least clue.

“Do you understand?” the figure beside the first speaker demanded. Its voice, unlike that of its companion, was light and breathy—the voice of an excited girl. Every inch of its head had been tattooed with an intricate grid, and at every intersection of horizontal and vertical axes a jeweled pin driven through to the bone. Its tongue was similarly decorated. “Do you even know who we are?” it asked.

Movie Pinhead is cool and all but I want erotic perversion; a cross between helmut newton and Joel peter witkin.

Btw I have no faith in goyer doing this ofc
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34067 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:24 PM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #34068 on: May 08, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »
Jfc.

Will it even be in theaters next week?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #34069 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
at this rate the feds can charge any theatres still running it next week for money laundering crimes under RICO statutes

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34070 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
I demand either sexy Pinhead, 1000-y/o Doug Bradley Pinhead, or both. Do it, Goyer, you coward. You won't.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #34071 on: May 08, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
how do i get a statement from the hellboy producers on what it's like to have your weekly box office be a rounding error

"we made sure to get paid before release"
[close]

nudemacusers

« Reply #34072 on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

:leon
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34073 on: May 08, 2019, 07:30:12 PM »
how do i get a statement from the hellboy producers on what it's like to have your weekly box office be a rounding error

"we made sure to get paid before release"
[close]

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34074 on: May 09, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »
I'm in, of course.

But the editing and music in the back half of the trailer was so bad, like Marvel's IT.  :lol
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34075 on: May 09, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
I'm in, of course.

But the editing and music in the back half of the trailer was so bad, like Marvel's IT.  :lol

It totally felt like Avengers-esque trailer music from the first second it started playing :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34076 on: May 09, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34077 on: May 09, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
The fuck i thought IT was about a killer clown, all these years.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34078 on: May 09, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »

Hells yes, I'm in.

I was beginning to think they were just going to wait until the kids had aged into the adult roles.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #34079 on: May 09, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
I'm in, of course.

I thought it was Star Wars when she said that no one's ever really gone.