Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4183042 times)

Himu

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #33900 on: April 28, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
*mentions Barry Lyndon*

*instantly adds to watch list*
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #33901 on: April 28, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
This Barry Lyneon movie sounds good. What is his superpower?

Himu

« Reply #33902 on: April 28, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
This Barry Lyneon movie sounds good. What is his superpower?

Making people laugh and being a failure.

My favorite Kubrick! :bow
IYKYK

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33903 on: April 28, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
saw a vintage 65mm print of it last year.

:mouf :delicious :ohyeah

I actually much preferred Leigh's previous film Mr. Turner, which is in the same-ish era and is soley focused on the last twenty years in the life of J.M.W. Turner. Peterloo sprawls in a messy fashion, but it still works quite well as a history lesson spiked with artistry.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #33904 on: April 28, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »
Oh, and Nebula:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shouldn't she have been erased from existence after killing her past self?
[close]

???

Supposedly no. Since her present self was in that "timeline."

There's a bunch of shit in End Game that makes me really angry. On one hand: It's an entertaining pop-corn flick, but on the other: It's really weak compared to Infinity War and a lot of that is because of Time Travel bullshit and Cpt. Marvel-Sue saving the day.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33905 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »
Nebula is a terrible character. Am I the only one who hates her?

I really dislike her, too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33906 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »
Watched Kubo and the Two Strings. That movie was wonderful. Perfect. I wish I'd seen it in a theater. I wish a lot more people had.

Is that a WWII joke
I wish that I was that clever.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33907 on: April 28, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
Endgame was a near perfect movie.   

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33908 on: April 29, 2019, 01:15:10 AM »

This trailer is now a spoiler for Avengers: Endgame.

Why is Spider-Man having a movie not in NYC? Spider-Man is literally made for NYC because of the skyscrapers. London has 19 skyscrapers vs NYC's 273. London has less skyscrapers than Houston and...

(Image removed from quote.)
Because there's 7 Spider-man movies set in NYC and they want to try something different? He's on a trip and I'm sure the differences between London and NYC will be brought up in typical Marvel humor.

And I'm sure the setting will play into whatever themes and story they are trying to tell.

Himu

« Reply #33909 on: April 29, 2019, 01:35:48 AM »
That’s like making a Batman movie not set in Gotham. NYC is so tied to Spider-Man’s identity as a hero that “but why?” is literally the only question I can think of as a retort. Sure, you could. But why? "We want to do something different" isn't really an answer. Visiting other locales for a spell? Okay. Batman did that in the Nolan trilogy, but they were short and Gotham was pretty central. But making the entire story of the movie away from the central location tied to the character? Spider-man, the every man, the average joe, on a school trip to tour Europe? Uhh...okay. Sounds exactly why Spider-Man is an endearing character.

Spider-man’s movies might be the biggest continual mismanagement of a major adapted property I’ve ever seen. Dude has had three iterations in two decades, two reboots in less than one decade - made five years apart in fact. They have no idea what to do with this character.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:49:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #33910 on: April 29, 2019, 01:55:13 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

sorry chrono

:-[

people do it here in new zealand as well, especially at film fest stuff. idgi unless the director was in attendance or something.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33911 on: April 29, 2019, 01:55:36 AM »
Just saw Endgame. My review:

1. Thanos
2. Evangaline Lilly needed more screen time
3. Why did I feel funny when I looked at Captain Marvel
[close]

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33912 on: April 29, 2019, 02:00:25 AM »
Oh, and Nebula:

Shouldn't she have been erased from existence after killing her past self?
[close]

???

to add to the other responses:

They explain what school of time-travel theory they are adhering to early on in the film - ie. linear time as in Terminator, Back to the Future is not the go here. Past changes causes a new time strand to open up based on that change, but the core timeline is unaffected. Also demonstrated by Tilda Swintons exposition magic.
[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33913 on: April 29, 2019, 02:49:12 AM »
Spider-man has been in space in both comics and now movies. Seems pretty dumb to complain about him going to Europe for a movie. I'm not sure how a young kid going on a vacation in Europe where he will no doubt learn that his responsibilities from being Spider-man do not just stop when away from home is not understanding the character.

But then again your complaining about a character leaving New York, but not getting an alien suit on some cosmic space planet.

And really biggest mis-management? Um not hardly. Homecoming and Spider-Verse where some of the best recent Super-hero movies. Spidey's use in the MCU has been great. A weak end to a great triligoy and two meh movies have nothing on the X-men, FF, DC's shit, and plenty of other bad super hero moves.

They have nothing to do with this character? Except make on of the best Super hero movies ever(Spider-verse) and have him an enduring role young hero role and Iron Man as his mentor. Do you even watch these movies are just the trailers to complain about them? Escpically since Homecoming and Spider-Verse are probably the the movies that best played up NYC as an actual relevant setting.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:54:53 AM by Rahxephon91 »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33914 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:11 AM »
I'm not really a superhero fan in general but I can appreciate a good flick. Spiderman Homecoming was a great twist on the teenage angst tropes with great and charismatic performances from Tom Holland, his best mate and Keaton. Definitely pumped for the next one - love me some J Gylenhaal

Himu

« Reply #33916 on: April 29, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
Spider-man has been in space in both comics and now movies. Seems pretty dumb to complain about him going to Europe for a movie. I'm not sure how a young kid going on a vacation in Europe where he will no doubt learn that his responsibilities from being Spider-man do not just stop when away from home is not understanding the character.

But then again your complaining about a character leaving New York, but not getting an alien suit on some cosmic space planet.

And really biggest mis-management? Um not hardly. Homecoming and Spider-Verse where some of the best recent Super-hero movies. Spidey's use in the MCU has been great. A weak end to a great triligoy and two meh movies have nothing on the X-men, FF, DC's shit, and plenty of other bad super hero moves.

They have nothing to do with this character? Except make on of the best Super hero movies ever(Spider-verse) and have him an enduring role young hero role and Iron Man as his mentor. Do you even watch these movies are just the trailers to complain about them? Escpically since Homecoming and Spider-Verse are probably the the movies that best played up NYC as an actual relevant setting.

Just because Spider-man has gone to space doesn’t mean it’s good. I am not a fan of Spider-Man being an Avenger and never have been.

I haven’t seen Spider Verse yet. I forgot about that.

How does anything you said relate to Spider-Man’s appeal as a character?

Spider-Man is an every man. He’s a super hero and is stronger than the average person but but not as strong as the average superhero. The dude survives by his intelligence and creativity. Spider-Man is no Bruce wayne or Tony Stark. He struggles to pay the bills while balancing his superhero life and the married life. At one point in time, he drops out of college. Peter Parker is fragile despite his status as a superhero.

How does going to Europe serve to reinforce his status as an everyman? He’s poor as shit. How does any of this help the audience relate to his character? No average American kid is going to Europe for a trip.

And that’s also a major problem. In the films they keep making him a teenager when he’s a teenager for all of 30 issues in the original Spider-Man comics (nearly the entirety of Ditko’s involvement). Yet here we are. With teenage Spider-Man. Again. You say,”they want to do some different” but they have tons of comic source material to pull from. Have him graduate, and transition from a self loathing nerd to a man that needs to support himself with a dead end job and a thankless superhero gig. But nah, he’s an avenger now. What about the Peter Parker that becomes a high school teacher in the ghetto who tries to mentor his students both as Spider-Man and Peter Parker?

Going on a road trip through Europe. Okay. I mean, sounds fun. But what does that have anything to do with the character and what makes him appealing?

Tbh, the current incarnation might be the worst Spider-Man movie version. Compared to the 90’s cartoon, Raimi Spider-Man I rank it very, very low. I even prefer the Andrew Garfield era and have no idea they didn’t continue giving that universe a shot. After seeing Spider-Man have a marriage, finally manage to graduate college, and work as high school teacher it’s pretty damn hard to go back to teenage spider-man as your standards for the character have risen.

Tbh,”let’s do something different” is exactly why the character has lost traction since One More Day. They focus on being different and gimmick storylines like every citizen in NYC gaining Spider Powers (fucking stupid) rather than Spidey’s bread and butter: being the superhero for every day people. A man who could have ultimate wish fulfillment and discards it for personal responsibility.

But okay. Let’s do something different.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33917 on: April 29, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
Feel like I'm the only person on the planet who just isn't a huge Spider-Man fan;  or at least not a fan of teeny-bopper Spider-Man.

I mean Holland does an OK job at it I just don't really enjoy the character much; the aww-shucks Mr Stark stuff is jut grating to me.

I hate teenage spider-man. It’s fine for a time. But literally every famous spider-man story besides his origin is told as an adult. A poor, working man that struggles balancing love life, work, and his thankless superhero gig is far more endearing than a fucking geek in high school. Spider-Man is the first super hero to my knowledge to get married and has a healthy relationship with his wife. Instead, let’s keep making him a teenager. Let’s do something different.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33918 on: April 29, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
Riotous: this is the best written thing I’ve seen on why Spider-Man might be the GOAT.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Spider-Man-the-greatest-superhero-of-all-time-Why-or-why-not
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33919 on: April 29, 2019, 09:58:11 AM »
I don't even know why anyone tries to argue with Cindi.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33920 on: April 29, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
How does anything I say relate to the character? Um I don't know maybe because the fact of the matter is your complaint about the setting doesn't take away from the character. Spider-man can be put into many settings and situations, and still have plenty of his everyday man aspects played on. He's in Space! But he's the one makeing refrences to sci fi movies, not understanding what the hell is actualy going on, and only there because his "mentor"/idol is there. These things feel more relatable then the billionare super hero team leader there for revenge on cosmic badguy. His setting has been changed, but aspects have not. Your constant whinning about him being the everyman character misses the point that he is also a comic book character and that aspect will be stretched thin as he is a superhero constantly put into unrealistic aspects. But it also dosen't understand that what your saying is a vague thing that means nothing. And as a comic book character, aspects and elements can be changed and reinterpreted.

The Tom Holland movie still presents Spider-man as a relatable person with average person problems. It also presents him as a NY teen going to a special high school and someone being watched over by Tony Stark. These are not things the average joe would be doing, but they do not take away that the Tom Holland Spider-man feels more normal compared to Iron Man or Thor. They don't make his problems seem unrelatable, which in the end is the main aspect of Spider-man. Did you watch Homecoming? It was the entire point of their depiction of Spider-man.

Yet, here you are getting bent out of shape because "oh no he's in Europe, but Spiderman is poor and I guess somehow normal people can't go to Europe so they don't get the character and it's unrealistic".

You don't know the context. Normal people can go to Europe and no doubt the change in setting will play into whatever themes the story is trying to say about this Spider-man.

And it's pretty important to note that pretty much every modern Spider-man draws from Ultimate Spider-man. That's the popular modern version of the character. And that Spider-man was a teen for pretty much his whole run. That's the Spider-man this Tom Holland Spider-man probably draws the most from and in this depection they have focused on him being the teen Super-hero.

But I guess because he's going to Europe none of that matters and it's bad.

In the end this all sounds like a typical Cindi argument. I don't like it because it's not made the way I want.

Himu

« Reply #33921 on: April 29, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
Funnily, I thought Venom was great. If only we can have a great Spider-Man movie.

I don't feel like writing anymore so I'll just link this video, hope you can understand what I am coming from.

TBH you fervently defend the MCU so I doubt you will.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33922 on: April 29, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
I think a lot of people complaining about Endgame expected a film. It's a popcorn Lowest Common Denominator flick. But for what it is, it does that exceptionally well.  It's like having the finest thing on the McDonald's menu. Yes, it's not the best quality, but if you wanted quality why were you going to McDonalds? I mean this isn't Taco bell.
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #33923 on: April 29, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »
Superhero movies in the last 10 years that weren't the first half of Logan = :nope :jeanluc  :foodcourt

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #33924 on: April 29, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
X-Men and Fantastic Four were way more mismanaged than Spidermang

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33925 on: April 29, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
Funnily, I thought Venom was great. If only we can have a great Spider-Man movie.

I don't feel like writing anymore so I'll just link this video, hope you can understand what I am coming from.

TBH you fervently defend the MCU so I doubt you will.
Love that Cindi condescending attitude. I don't fervently defend the MCU. I don't give a shit about it. I'm just not an annoying jaded nerd like you.

And since we're posting videos now. Here's mine.

And we've had amazing Spider-man movies. They were called Spider-Verse and Spider-man 2.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #33926 on: April 29, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
Superhero movies in the last 10 years that weren't the first half of Logan = :nope :jeanluc  :foodcourt
This post after Into the Spiderverse? :kobeyuck
que

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33927 on: April 29, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
Proper great tier:
Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
Into the Spiderverse

People don't get it tier:
Spiderman 3

Competent tier:
Homecoming

Money Laundering scheme tier:
Amazing Spiderman

Haven't seen the rest.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #33928 on: April 29, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »
Spider-Verse
Spider-Man-2
Spider-Man 1
Homecoming
Spider-Man 3*
Venom

The Amazing movies are just boring. Nice cgi I guess.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33929 on: April 29, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
Spiderman movie rankings:

Spiderman (2002)
Spiderman Into The Spiderverse (2018)
Spiderman 2 (2004)
Spiderman 3 (2007)
Amazing Spiderman (2012)
Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014)
Venom (2018)
Spiderman Homecoming (2017)

TOO MANY SPIDERMEN NO MORE PLEASE ONE OF THEM HAS 5 DIFFERENT SPIDER GUYS :notlikethis

Does this list read in ascending or descending order?

« Reply #33930 on: April 29, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »
Good
Into the Spiderverse
Homecoming
Amazing Spiderman

Quite good
Amazing Spiderman 2

Unwatchable dreck
Spiderman 1-3 in order

Need to see
Venom
thx

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33931 on: April 29, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy X-2 > Final Fantasy XII > Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy IX > Final Fantasy VI > Final Fantasy X > All those other NES/SNES FFs that I don't care about > Those two Final Fantasy MMOs > Final Fantasy VIII
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #33932 on: April 29, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
Under the Silver Lake

More sex scenes than Endgame.

5/5

©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33933 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Under the Silver Lake

More sex scenes than Endgame.

5/5

Would I like it?
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33934 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »
Maybe. It’s kinda like Mandy, if at the end Nic Cage had just hung out with the hippies and did some drugs and sex and then went back home.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33935 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
Oh, and if you’re worried it won’t meet your 80’s man child nostalgia quota (minor spoiler)
a Nintendo Power provides a vital clue to solving the mystery.
[close]
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33936 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »
Final Fantasy VII > Final Fantasy X-2 > Final Fantasy XII > Final Fantasy XV > Final Fantasy IX > Final Fantasy VI > Final Fantasy X > All those other NES/SNES FFs that I don't care about > Those two Final Fantasy MMOs > Final Fantasy VIII

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #33937 on: April 30, 2019, 12:17:41 AM »
Feel like I'm the only person on the planet who just isn't a huge Spider-Man fan;  or at least not a fan of teeny-bopper Spider-Man.

I mean Holland does an OK job at it I just don't really enjoy the character much; the aww-shucks Mr Stark stuff is jut grating to me.

Yeah, I don't like Spiderman much either, but Holland is charming enough to where the movie version of him I've really enjoyed so far.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33938 on: April 30, 2019, 01:49:47 AM »
[close]

endgame

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33939 on: April 30, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »

"Gangster's Paradise" :notlikethis
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33940 on: April 30, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
Why are we so blind to see that the ones we hurt are you and me?
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33941 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Every hero has a Genesis, amirite fellow gamers?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #33942 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
Raised a barn on Monday, soon I'll raise a'nutter

Svejk

« Reply #33943 on: April 30, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
Is this a so bad, it's good situation?  :doge

Coax

« Reply #33944 on: April 30, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Worth it for the Paramount rings logo variation.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33946 on: April 30, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
Well the trailer made me want to watch it

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33947 on: April 30, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
If millenials reward that shyte with a good box office, you deserve all the garbage that follows.

It looked like a movie that was shelved in 2005 and Paramount just won the rights to distribute it. All it was missing was Dean Cain as the lead "good guy" and Don Lafontaine doing the voice over for the trailer.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #33948 on: April 30, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
Boy, that sure was a trailer for a movie that exists.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33949 on: April 30, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
After mulling Under the Silver Lake around in my head overnight, I think that it was a pretty good movie. Maybe a little too much Donnie Darko-esque iam14andthisisdeep for some people, but if you're in the mood for such a thing, I'd recommend it. I've been to the subreddit and looked at all the fan theories and clue chasing, which is funny because the entire movie is about a guy chasing insane clues from cereal boxes and backwards-played records and these people are basically doing the same thing. It's QAnon: The Movie. The message of the movie seems to be that we want to find ascribe meaning and find connections to things that happen in our lives that are out of our control, but there probably is none. And if there was one, would it make us happy? If QAnon found the final decisive piece of the puzzle that proved Hillary and Obama killed Seth Rich, would your life actually be enriched in any way? You still gotta go to work the next day and pay the bills, only now knowing that all your paranoid fears are justified.

Anyway, you should watch it, TVC. It's only a fiver at Amazon or the VOD site of your choice. Cheaper than a ticket to Endlame.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #33950 on: April 30, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »
That trailer gives me life.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33951 on: April 30, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »
Eggman isn't even fat. What is this.
🤴

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #33952 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Well the trailer made me want to watch it

Nobody can even tell if you’re joking anymore, my little lost lamb.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33954 on: April 30, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »
dog

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #33955 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »
If millenials reward that shyte with a good box office, you deserve all the garbage that follows.

It looked like a movie that was shelved in 2005 and Paramount just won the rights to distribute it. All it was missing was Dean Cain as the lead "good guy" and Don Lafontaine doing the voice over for the trailer.

Was Dean Cain even relevant in 2005?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33956 on: April 30, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »

Was Sonic the Hedgehog?
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #33957 on: April 30, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »

"Gangster's Paradise" :notlikethis
Lmao I heard there was a coolio song and assumed it was fantastic voyage. This however fully exceeds my expectations :dead

Movie looks like hot shit.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #33958 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:26 PM »

He’s about at the same level as James Mardsen is now