Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141122 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34140 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:27 PM »
And cool tats

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34141 on: May 15, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
It’s about blind ladies stroking tigers.

And cool tats

Stop making it sound better than it is.
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34142 on: May 15, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »
But Manhunter is about...

:tauntaun
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34143 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34144 on: May 16, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

LMAO
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34145 on: May 16, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »
IN for the awesome Nick Nolte in his natural habitat cameo.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34146 on: May 16, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
Robert Pattinson cast as next Batman

Underrated actor, I'm sure he'll be great.
___

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34147 on: May 16, 2019, 11:33:12 PM »
Great, more shit batmen

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34148 on: May 17, 2019, 12:09:52 AM »
Update: May 16 9:20 p.m.

This post was updated minutes after initial publication with the news that the deal has yet to close.
Variety broke the news and while initial reports made it sound like it was definitive, the trade has since updated to say that “it’s not yet a done deal, Pattinson is the top choice and it’s expected to close shortly. Warner Bros. had no comment.”

Deadline even added the wrinkle that Nicholas Hoult is still in the mix
oh, well, close enough I guess

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34149 on: May 17, 2019, 03:27:57 AM »

I don't have a lot of memories of that one but seeing the poor dude move around in his little threaded tracks module (climax only obviously) was pretty hilarious.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34151 on: May 18, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #34152 on: May 18, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Felix was always snubbed in the Craig movies :rejoice

Bernard :rejoice

Though this whole "coming out of retirement" thing seems a bit old hat.

Bebpo

« Reply #34153 on: May 18, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
John Wick 3 is....kind of a mess  :'(

Very, very weird film. Pacing is all over the place, tone is all over the place, has multiple endings and no ending. It feels like they didn't know what story they were trying to tell in this film because

(spoiler for future of the series)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're doing a 4th film.
[close]

It lacked the cool assassin personalities of part 2 like the silent gal. All the dudes Keanu fights are just fodder outside a cool fight at the start and an ok fight with the dudes from The Raid later on. The comic book aspects are dailed up waaaay too much to the point it's sort of a ridiculously unbelievable Marvel/DC flick, and Keanu seems pretty phoning it in.

The fight scenes are also very oddly paced where the music will totally drop out and the fight will like keep going for another 1-2 mins with zero momentum. Was kinda bored during some of the action scenes which was never the case in the first two. The action highlight was probably

The Dog & Human tag-team combat
[close]

That being said, the power of the John Wick franchise is that even a kinda a Matrix Reloaded of John Wick is still a mildly thumbs up worth watching movie. I just hope that

(spoiler for future of the series)
in John Wick 4, it's A) the final one and B) they have a better idea of what the plot is.
[close]

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34154 on: May 18, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »

I saw this late at night on IFC or something when I was thirteen and it fully prepared me for adulthood. Rewatching now
每天生气

Shuri

« Reply #34155 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »
Jw3 was trash. The fights are ultra repetitive, it feels like there are 4 endings, the random humorous bit feels like they stopped giving a fuck about the movie atmosphere and would just ad lib jokes.

They completely turned the cool fighting style of the first movie into a fucking meme almost, i dont  want to watch Keanu double headshot someone ever again, i swear to god im gonna be seeing this in my dreams.

The story was a mess, the racial stereotypes were fucking wtf-inducing.

It feels like when a game overstays its stays with needless extra levels at the end  and you just want it to finish.

John gets wounded, stabbed, shot about 4184 times in this one, I think he’s running an infinite health cheats.

The dogs were cool tho 🐕

3/10 because there are 3 cool dogs in the movie.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34156 on: May 18, 2019, 11:11:37 PM »
in what the potential to be one of the nastiest horror films of this or any time, notedly pitiless director John Hillcoat is remaking the more-hardcore-than-you'd-guess Vincent Price horror film Witchfinder General for producer Nicolas Winding Refn.

this was like somebody was playing Mean Spirited Yahtzee and rolled matching dice.

Bebpo

« Reply #34157 on: May 19, 2019, 12:35:57 AM »
John gets wounded, stabbed, shot about 4184 times in this one, I think he’s running an infinite health cheats.

Yeah I forgot to mention the plot armor he has in this one is kinda off the scale lol. Dude should have been dead multiple times.

And yeah the goofy Japanese guy was kinda lame, especially since the movie doesn’t have an antagonist unlike the first two, so he has to fit the role.

Still liked it though. It’s mostly entertaining. But was the weakest of the 3 for me.

Leadbelly

« Reply #34158 on: May 19, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
I can't wait to watch Ari Aster's new film Midsommar. Looks really cool.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34159 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:05 AM »
in what the potential to be one of the nastiest horror films of this or any time, notedly pitiless director John Hillcoat is remaking the more-hardcore-than-you'd-guess Vincent Price horror film Witchfinder General for producer Nicolas Winding Refn.

this was like somebody was playing Mean Spirited Yahtzee and rolled matching dice.
The Proposition and The Road are pretty good, and i'm always down for that premise, but i haven't watched the original (may get around to it now, because it sounds interesting).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34160 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »
I'm glad that Mad Max: Fury Road came out before the 2016 elections, so we didn't have to endure a million Kotaku/Vicepoint thinkpieces about how Immortan Joe is Donald Trump (I'm sure there were still a few), how this movie was tailor-made for the #MeToo generation, and how MRA-types that were butthurt about a lady being in the movie were members of an actual terrorist organization instead of just dumbasses to be laughed at. We didn't even know that we were the ones who killed the world (in 12 years from Global Warming), we just knew that this movie was freaking badass.  :heartbeat
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34161 on: May 20, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
I'll say that John Wick 3 was the weakest of the series. That being said, I still had a good time.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34162 on: May 20, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm glad that Mad Max: Fury Road came out before the 2016 elections, so we didn't have to endure a million Kotaku/Vicepoint thinkpieces about how Immortan Joe is Donald Trump (I'm sure there were still a few), how this movie was tailor-made for the #MeToo generation, and how MRA-types that were butthurt about a lady being in the movie were members of an actual terrorist organization instead of just dumbasses to be laughed at. We didn't even know that we were the ones who killed the world (in 12 years from Global Warming), we just knew that this movie was freaking badass.  :heartbeat

Mad Max: Fury Road doesn't have a "good part," because the whole movie is the good part.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34163 on: May 21, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
After watching Сталкер last week, I ordered a copy of Солярис (also on Criterion Blu-Ray, natch) and got it yesterday. I'd never seen Stalker before, but I have seen Solaris, it's just been a long time. I watched it in college on VHS, 5 movies 5 days 5 dollars at the local rental shack. I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Soviet Bloc Sci-Fi :rejoice
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34164 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
A lot of the criticism of John Wick 3 probably have a point. But I enjoyed it a lot. The story is dumb yeah, they are maybe a little too in love with their world and it's starting to maybe break the illusion. But man where the action scenes and style still on point. I fucking got so giddy when the the cameo fight happen as an action movie fan. The Halle Berry segment in the end seemed pointless, but man was the fight enjoyable. And honestly I do think in this one you see a more desperate John Wick. Yeah you know he's unstoppable and going to win, but the previous two did'nt have him so unsure, having to ask for help, actually somewhat be used, be out geared, and so on.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34165 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »
That new Terminator movie looks... real bad.

Accurate since 2003.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34166 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
I'm hopeful and prone to disappointment.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34167 on: May 23, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »
Can we wait until release to burst my bubble, plz?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34168 on: May 23, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
Looking forward to the James Cameron's featurette swearing this one is really good and a return to form, like they had for every one of those sequels.

Terminator 3 was a serviceable action film but really nothing past T2 (...if even that) was really needed or necessary.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34169 on: May 23, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
I'm not a huge Terminator fan in the first place, but i thought T3 was pretty decent, and i didn't even hate that Salvation one, with christian Bale.
I didn't bother watching Gensys.

It's clear though, that they don't really seem to have anything to add to the franchise (past T2), it's all a rehash of nostalgia-bait and clones of old ideas.

I mean look at this trailer you have people in plain clothes walking through some woods like an indie movie trying to save money, you have old ass actors returning, you have yet another attempt at the T-1000, but with some guy that couldn't look any less threatening if they tried, and finally you have the Arnold reveal for the 50th time in a Terminator sequel (i mean seriously he was in all of them, at this point).

The femminator is kind of new in that she is one of the good guys now, which is a stretch, but at least she looks jacked, so she's still the best thing in the movie.

You could use the same argument for the new Star Wars trilogy, they have zero new ideas and rehash old actors for nostalgia bait, the only difference is that, in a shitty star wars, you still get a modicum of entertainment from the cgi, fun alien planets and vistas etc.. in a Terminator movie you get none of that, it's people driving on the highway and walking through the woods.  :-\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34170 on: May 23, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »

I mean...I've seen worse.  :larry
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34171 on: May 23, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »
That looks so uninspired.
🤴

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34172 on: May 23, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
That looks so uninspired.
Uninspired will be a significant improvement over the last two movies.

shosta

« Reply #34173 on: May 23, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
the first terminator is better than the second
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #34174 on: May 23, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
每天生气

Leadbelly

« Reply #34175 on: May 23, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »

I mean...I've seen worse.  :larry

lol

It's like they feel The Terminator needs to be 'woke', but realised that T2 already did the strong female lead nearly 30 years ago. So now it is trying to out-woke itself by have strong female characters fucking everywhere. Fill the screen with them, that will do it.

Also, T2 is the movie I would prefer to watch if it was on. Not to say the original is a worse movie, I just find T2 to be more fun.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34176 on: May 23, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »
T1 and T2 are Alien and Aliens to me. Both are great in their own unique ways and I don't feel obligated to pick between them which is better.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34177 on: May 23, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
The action just looks bad, which is how I felt about 3 too.

I actually thought Salvation was kind of cool, but the end was awful and Common was so bad.. dude can't not sound like he's at Def Poetry Jam.

I like Salvation too. I remember reading something where Cameron was telling ppl trying to do a new T movie that you the heart of T1/T2 is the love story. Romantic in T1, familial in 2 and that was what was needed in a new one. So we get this great arc/story with moon bloodgood's character and sam worthington but it gets sidelined by Christian Bale John Connor. Bale is a great actor, John Connor is a cool hero but the movie should not have pivoted to him/been about him.

I've heard talks/confirmations? that were was an early version of the story where he basically only shows up for a little bit then dies, and instead of dude sacrificing his heart to save him...he takes his skin/face because John Connor can't die. Thats a wild and crazy ending but I think that's more in line with the Terminator franchise mythos. The heroes sometime die, but the fight continues and so on.
[close]

Best thing about T3 is the ending. The idea about it all just being inevitable and weathering it as best as we can. Salvation kinda hits on that a bit and so did TSCC.

I don't have anything nice to say about Genisys other than Emilia Clarke looks cute like always.

shosta

« Reply #34178 on: May 23, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »

who could be afraid of a face like that? :lol  :heartbeat
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34179 on: May 24, 2019, 05:10:01 AM »
That Bjork cover is diarrhea  :yuck
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34180 on: May 24, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »
The perfect movie doesn't exi--

https://twitter.com/sdavidmiller/status/1131713145855193090
Blue Is the Warmest Color was legit good, btw.
Also usually Cannes walkout = Kino alert.
[close]
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #34181 on: May 24, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »
the butts would have to be farting

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34182 on: May 24, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Kechiche is kind of a dick, not just to his actresses but also to the crew (up to wages and labor conditions). There were some controversies over Blue... employment practices where he was co producing and a series of incredibly shitty, misleading statements pretty much confirmed this (Basically "why do the technicians complain about, have you seen the wages in the regulatory ladder negotiated by unions ? They're fat cats" when it's not exactly a secret that a lot of people agreed to -40% or -50% deals on their wages on shoot and that overtime pay wasn't exactly forthcoming IIRC). He also seem to have an habit of changing producers and parting ways on unfriendly terms. I guess it's partly a result of his creative process : he shoots for very long, both in terms of overall principal photography total length, daily workload or takes so it's not exactly a surprise he always ahits up planning (I'd imagine much to the horror of the production) but for the very little I know of it I'm not very sympathetic.

Yet it's hard to deny he's doing something sufficiently unique and different so :yeshrug
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34183 on: May 24, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
Kechiche is kind of a dick, not just to his actresses but also to the crew (up to wages and labor conditions). There were some controversies over Blue... employment practices where he was co producing and a series of incredibly shitty, misleading statements pretty much confirmed this (Basically "why do the technicians complain about, have you seen the wages in the regulatory ladder negotiated by unions ? They're fat cats" when it's not exactly a secret that a lot of people agreed to -40% or -50% deals on their wages on shoot and that overtime pay wasn't exactly forthcoming IIRC). He also seem to have an habit of changing producers and parting ways on unfriendly terms. I guess it's partly a result of his creative process : he shoots for very long, both in terms of overall principal photography total length, daily workload or takes so it's not exactly a surprise he always ahits up planning (I'd imagine much to the horror of the production) but for the very little I know of it I'm not very sympathetic.

Yet it's hard to deny he's doing something sufficiently unique and different so :yeshrug
None of that has to do with the quality of the film though.

Plenty of dirtbags did some of the best art in human history, though i wouldn't argue that there's a positive correlation between the two, the overlap is still pretty strong (depending on your standards of what makes you a dirtbag, ofc. ).

benjipwns

« Reply #34184 on: May 24, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
Are discounts for film productions not common in France? The Hollywood unions do it for almost every film that exists, that's why I claimed in the dumpster thread that film production is basically only unionized in name and by tradition rather than in reality.

I guess I always assumed that artist unions everywhere were like that.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34185 on: May 24, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Are discounts for film productions not common in France? The Hollywood unions do it for almost every film that exists, that's why I claimed in the dumpster thread that film production is basically only unionized in name and by tradition rather than in reality.

I guess I always assumed that artist unions everywhere were like that.

On wages ? Yeah it's pretty common. But he was commenting on a film he co produced and knew full well conditions and still went for the tired old trope of painting disaffected crew members as a bunch of wealthy hypocrites using misleading figures (since he implied they were paid the full monthly normal wage).

None of that has to do with the quality of the film though.

Plenty of dirtbags did some of the best art in human history, though i wouldn't argue that there's a positive correlation between the two, the overlap is still pretty strong (depending on your standards of what makes you a dirtbag, ofc. ).

Oh sure, it's all marginal commentary, none of it about the merits of the films as films. I'm not strongly opinionated on it or anything. I just wanted to comment on that, especially on the labor issue thing which get brought much less than him being a dick to actresses.

And while I dissociate art from the creator often, still there's some link between his parti pris and approach that will have some practical, economical consequences to how the films are made and produced.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #34186 on: May 24, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »

Damn, guess I'm catching Rocketman sometime.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34187 on: May 24, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Just to be a little exact, unions are the ones negotiating the wage scales but employment is not US style "union only on this shoot". Most crewmen (or actors) are not unionised. Grips and Gaffers have the reputation of being the loudest.
ὕβρις

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34188 on: May 24, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »
Paramount has got some cojones to support Rocketman this way. It almost certainly won't be especially graphic, but there's punches they could have pulled regardless. I mean, hell, apparently the movie doesn't even cover at all his beard, whoops I meant marriage from the 80's.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34189 on: May 24, 2019, 09:58:35 PM »
Live-action Akira is really happening and they're planning on it being two movies:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-24/live-action-akira-film-opens-on-may-21-2021/.147097
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34190 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »
Could be good, let's wait and see. I'm sure there were some reservations when the original anime adaptation was announced too. (The people who are really into the Akira manga are always REALLY into it, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground...)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34191 on: May 25, 2019, 01:15:25 AM »
The cool video store was having another B2G1 sale for Memorial Day, so that means time to stock up on more Blu-Rays! :lawd

The four Criterions were high on my "To Get" list and my main reason for going. They're all fantastic movies that I've seen multiple times before. But obviously you can't just get 4 things at a B2G1 sale. Drunken Master was like, I didn't even know I wanted it. It's not even on BD in the US, but they randomly had this Region Free UK import copy, and it's released by Eureka, which was a fairly well respected UK company at least the last time I was paying attention to imports. Hired to Kill, I've got no clue, but it looked fun and it was released by Arrow Video, the current undisputed champions of cult video releases. Trick r Treat is a fun movie, been meaning to pick that one up for a while. Cherry 2000 I only know the title and synopsis, but it always seemed like a movie that would be up my alley. The Emerald Forest I took a complete flier on. I know nothing about it besides what I read on the back of the box, I've never heard of it before, I have no clue how it was received at the time, it's a complete mystery. But it's directed by John Boorman and he's usually good for a laff (still need to pick up Zardoz), and I have a soft spot for 80's/90's movies of dubious quality about white people going to brown people land on a journey of self discovery, especially if that journey is described at any point by the marketing as being "erotic" (i.e. The Sheltering Sky, At Play in the Fields of the Lord, Eat Pray Love).

Sold.
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #34192 on: May 25, 2019, 01:22:38 AM »
Awesome haul. Cherry 2000 is your kind of movie. It's like A Boy and his Dog, except instead of a dog it's a sex robot. I think that's probably how the pitch went, too.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34193 on: May 25, 2019, 01:44:51 AM »

Majestic. When I said Eureka was one of the good ones, this is what I meant.  :delicious
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #34194 on: May 25, 2019, 01:47:09 AM »
A lot of these are good contenders for your cult movie thread.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34195 on: May 25, 2019, 02:01:26 AM »
I just post my cult movie ramblings in this thread now if I feel like I have anything to say. I’m not really much of a film critic, I just know what I like. ;)

I used to buy movies because I heard they were good, or they won Oscars, or maybe I saw it at theater and it was pretty good and I felt obligated to buy it. Then before I knew it, I had stacks of DVDs that I had no interest in watching. That’s not how I roll now. I only buy the movies that match my personal aesthetic. My Blu-Ray collection is Marie Condo as fuck, I hold it to my chest and it brings me joy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:10:19 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34196 on: May 25, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
cherry 2000  :lawd

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34197 on: May 25, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Could be good, let's wait and see. I'm sure there were some reservations when the original anime adaptation was announced too. (The people who are really into the Akira manga are always REALLY into it, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground...)
How do you separate Akira from Tokyo and Japan's nuclear-phobia? Not to mention their shift from old insular Japan to post-war rebellious generations, I honestly don't give a shit that they "cast asian actors" if they keep the movie in nu-Los Angeles.
The cultural foundation for the movie just ins't there.

You can do rebellious biker gangs all over the planet, but anything past that, starts to feel phony, depending on where you set it.

I am extremely skeptical because of that reason, and also because many of the scenes in the movie/manga will look stupid as shit in live action, and this is true for many adaptations.

Tasty

« Reply #34198 on: May 25, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
Mmmm but how much was Blade Runner changed in its adaptation...

Certainly aspects that someone might find particularly appealing about an original work might be lost in any kind of translation or transformation, but that doesn't necessarily mean derivative works have no right to exist...

Tasty

« Reply #34199 on: May 25, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
Meanwhile the movie will most likely be shit but both the world and I have grown too cynical...