Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4183281 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34200 on: May 25, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
So now it is trying to out-woke itself by have strong female characters fucking everywhere.

I was expecting something different from the trailer now :fbm

either way, those soy boy terminators with shit cgi :confused :nope

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34201 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Mmmm but how much was Blade Runner changed in its adaptation...

Certainly aspects that someone might find particularly appealing about an original work might be lost in any kind of translation or transformation, but that doesn't necessarily mean derivative works have no right to exist...
You're right about that, but i actually prefer it when an adaptation to a different medium tries to do something completely different, so hearing them talk about respecting the source material with this or that choice, just seems pointless.
You're not gonna set in in Japan, you're not gonna be able to replicate the animation, with live action... so do something vastly different.

I'm a defender of the Super Mario Bros movie, based on this principle (regardless of how the movie turned out), and i'm hoping at least they'll take a similar approach with this.
If they start recreating scenes to wank Akira fans off, it's just gonna turn out as a miserable disaster.
It's what made the Ghost in th Shell movie so bland, despite the amazing production work WETA put in.

nudemacusers

« Reply #34202 on: May 25, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
Could be good, let's wait and see. I'm sure there were some reservations when the original anime adaptation was announced too. (The people who are really into the Akira manga are always REALLY into it, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground...)
Having a director who has a strong POV and a good track restore is good; should minimize studio meddling. I’m not a stalwart for adhering to a structure across mediums, just stay true to the intent and themes. Or flip them a la starship troopers. But at least interact with them.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34203 on: May 25, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Had a bunch of films lined up but my buddes insisted on Bumblebee.

I thought, oh god another horrid Transformers movie but it was a decent watch actually.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34204 on: May 26, 2019, 01:37:14 AM »
I can’t believe The Chappelle Show stole Consent Contracts from Cherry 2000. :dead
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34205 on: May 26, 2019, 06:05:29 AM »
Had a bunch of films lined up but my buddes insisted on Bumblebee.

I thought, oh god another horrid Transformers movie but it was a decent watch actually.

Hailee Steinfeld got skills

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34206 on: May 26, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
The perfect movie doesn't exi--

(Image removed from quote.)

https://twitter.com/sdavidmiller/status/1131713145855193090
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Blue Is the Warmest Color was legit good, btw.
Also usually Cannes walkout = Kino alert.
[close]
[close]

...but i'm a boob man...

:stahp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34207 on: May 26, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
©@©™

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #34208 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:51 AM »
I'll say that John Wick 3 was the weakest of the series. That being said, I still had a good time.
I disagree. This one had the best action scenes, best villains, and the lore has gone full on Harry Potter and I'm living for it. That said, I may be watching it for different reasons than others. What made this weaker for you?
Unzip

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34209 on: May 27, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »
The Love Witch

I tend to go for movies I find interesting for arbitrary reasons over whether they're good or bad, and this is one of them. The arbitrary reason here being that it uses technicolor yet it came out in 2016. That said, I can best describe the movie as meh. Anna Biller seems to apply more to the movie than what is present to me. I can understand and see where she's going with it, but ultimately it isn't really a strong film in spite of intentions and I find the execution itself to be somewhat muted even though I know a lot of work went into it.

I will say that I get her complaints of people thinking it's a Russ Meyer flick have a few screws loose. As I never got that impression. Apparently attractive women and barely softcore nudity makes it that? I can see where she's coming from there.
It was fun, but i agree on "meh" as a general impression.
The Love Witch, is going for a slightly different vibe, a cheekier one, compared to stuff like Amer or Color of her body's tears, or even Berberian Sound Studio, but Duke of Burgundy dabbles in some similar themes, with also an ironic twist (if not as obviously comedic) but it's way more compelling.

I still enjoyed it though.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34210 on: May 27, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
Godzilla is weirdly looking thicc on those posters.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34211 on: May 27, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »
Godzilla is weirdly looking thicc on those posters.

oh lawd he coming
©@©™

Quaker

« Reply #34212 on: May 27, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
Gojira(1954)

Still a masterpiece.
Thank you. I was wanting to check this out for the first time before the new one(please don't suck). know it has the legacy of it "actually" being an indictment of nuclear weapons but I was skeptical and worried it'd be corny cheese.

I'll say that John Wick 3 was the weakest of the series. That being said, I still had a good time.
I disagree. This one had the best action scenes, best villains, and the lore has gone full on Harry Potter and I'm living for it. That said, I may be watching it for different reasons than others. What made this weaker for you?
Yep. I tried really hard to get into the first two and I've seen them two or three times each but I couldn't really get into them. I'd give them "A for effort" and it's great that they brought Keanu back but thought the movies think the action and lore are better and more clever or interesting than they actually are. The actual action and production came across a bit too slick(in an affected way) and cheap to me.

With 3, I still don't get why they think the lore is so interesting but I accepted it as a pretense to link these setpieces and scenarios together and I had a much better time. The actual action was clever and novel and there's a lot of it with great gunplay, hand-to-hand *and* sword/knife fighting. It was awesome seeing them give Halle Berry and Dacascos an opportunity to be badasses. They not only brought in the dudes from The Raid but actually didn't do them a diservice like that Star Wars bullshit. Probably my favorite action since The Raid 2 aside from the last Mission Impossible movies but even then those are apples and oranges.

Basically, it's fantastic as long as you don't go into it thinking you're getting good dialogue, story or characters and instead see it as really good action vignettes and setpieces with "gun wizards" and ninjas.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #34213 on: May 27, 2019, 07:05:00 PM »
Fear and Loathing is magnitudes more amazing when you've pierced the veil and experienced the varied spectrum of emotions that tryptamines facilitate.  And yet it's the pivotal moments in Thompson's life, in history and culture, that he's most wistful about. The drugs intensify the version of you, be it at your peak or rock bottom. But you do not necessarily derive anything from the substance alone. If you're empty then the experience will be just as such.
:9

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34214 on: May 27, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
even as someone who can pinpoint the exact year of a godzilla design, i wouldn't marathon through any of the series. hell, godzilla's revenge is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine.

bless up wrath

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34215 on: May 27, 2019, 08:04:26 PM »
Amer was a whole lot of style with little substance, which is exactly what giallos are, though of course lacked its own identity being such an obvious tribute.
Duke of Burgundy has the style, the substance AND the identity, it's really a gem if you like those vibes.
I grew up with giallos (though to me they were just thrillers) so I guess I'm biased.

Tasty

« Reply #34216 on: May 27, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »
Fear and Loathing is magnitudes more amazing when you've pierced the veil and experienced the varied spectrum of emotions that tryptamines facilitate.  And yet it's the pivotal moments in Thompson's life, in history and culture, that he's most wistful about. The drugs intensify the version of you, be it at your peak or rock bottom. But you do not necessarily derive anything from the substance alone. If you're empty then the experience will be just as such.

:thinking

I'm gonna need to chew on this for a while.

Tasty

« Reply #34217 on: May 27, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
What should I watch tonight, Tokyo Godfathers or Millennium Actress?

Tasty

« Reply #34218 on: May 27, 2019, 09:32:32 PM »
Firing up Millennium Actress just to be chronological.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34219 on: May 27, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »
I love Giallos so I'm def checking out Duke.

You say the whole style no substance thing but I'd argue that Amer went really full on the no substance all style bent. Too bad the style wasn't all that interesting.
Felt like a music video tribute, but some elements were really spot on, like capturing the sensuality of fabrics and that morbid tactile feel some Giallos had (like Deep Red, with the extreme close ups of leather gloves, fabrics, small objects).
In general the sense of touch in something i've always felt was important in the best examples of the genre (also because it's tied with the idea of physical pain, obviously) and Amer captured that well.
In a way, the "surface" is the substance, in these films.

This is the best Satoshi Kon movie in my opinion.

Millenium Actress > Perfect Blue > Paprika > Tokyo GF > Magnetic rose (if you want to include that).
Never finished Paranoia Agent.

Tasty

« Reply #34220 on: May 27, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
This is the best Satoshi Kon movie in my opinion.

Millenium Actress > Perfect Blue > Paprika > Tokyo GF > Magnetic rose (if you want to include that).

Damn, I must be in for a treat then. :) Though Kon is a master so I wasn't worried anyways. I'm really excited still to see Tokyo Godfathers just by the synopsis.

Never finished Paranoia Agent.

...me either. :doge Should fire that up again soon...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34221 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
I much preferred Tokyo Godfathers to Millenium Actress :yeshrug
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #34222 on: May 27, 2019, 10:38:46 PM »
Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr. Anno.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34223 on: May 28, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »
Under The Silver Lake

After mulling it over a little I think I love this flick. It's a bit muddy in its execution of certain aspects overall but it's a delightful weird critique of pop culture reverence. I can see someone walking away from it thinking the story turned into ready player one with a hipster sheen, but that would be missing the point and looking at it shallowly. Not sure if I'd call it as in depth or ambitious as a lot of people frame it, but it's certainly worth a watch.
I read this post yesterday and decided to finally check this out last night (TVC's review had convinced me but I couldn't commit to my own plans). I immediately fell in love with this slacker fever dream. My faith in the movie was really tested during some of the rising action but I was completely satisfied by the end. Definitely a memorable experience. Weakest part was... probably the Songwriter, which felt like a random plot thread where something big happened but there were no consequences whatsoever.

Also, after watching that, I really needed to unwind, so I went out on a small bender and ended up getting it with some married short stack with amazing fake tits. So, basically, wrath got me laid. Big ups
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34224 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:03 AM »
Shin Gojira is probably the most palatable version Anno could have come up of that particular type of story (notably by downsizing "crazy undecipherable Judeo Christian conspiracy" to a much more focused "mundane administrative frictions and geopolitics"). However revisiting Evangelion after watching a bunch of classic Godzilla is not a bad idea because of the obvious lineage.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34225 on: May 28, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
I'm thinking of firing up Duke Of Burgundy when I get back from the DMV later as Don speaks so highly of it. Plus giallo flicks are a vice of mine. Continue the godzilla shit tomorrow with King Kong Vs. Godzilla.
I hope i haven't built it up too much, although i did love it.
Probably my MOTY of 2015, just after  A pigeon sat on a branch contemplating existence.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34226 on: May 28, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #34227 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:41 AM »
Brightburn - All my horror friends liked this because it was "what if Superman was evil??? (and killed people with his superman powers)" I didn't like this because the 80 min or something was basically "what if Superman was evil??" and that's about all you get. The direction and performances are fine but the script was frankly kind of shit and the worst Gunn-related thing I've seen. It feels like an edgy short film by comic nerds in college, and that's about all it would work as, a short film or pilot for a TV show. As a movie...it just felt like it lacked substance. There were a couple points where it seemed like it might introduce some actual depth and struggle and then those ideas are never brought up again.

Chronicle is pretty close to the same movie except 100x more well done. I googled Brightburn and Chronicle afterwards to see if other people were bringing that up and yeah I found a handful of matches right away that were like Chronicle does everything Brightburn does except way better.

So to answer the question of "what if Superman was evil"
SPOILER
Then he fucking kills everyone on earth because how the fuck would anyone stop him.

TEH END
[close]

Anyhow spoiler stuff that frustrated me

It's not even about how a kid growing up and realizing he has powers turns bad, it's literally just OK HIT TWELVE AND EMP CHARGES FROM MY SPACESHIP HAVE TAKEN OVER MY BRAIN AND NOW I MUST KILL EVERYONE. ME BAD, THE END.

There's no internal struggle at all.
There could have been some internal struggle of the kid wanting to good but being overcome with the feeling to take over the world,
There could have been some internal struggle of the kid that he wants to murder everyone but he loves his mom,
There could have been some internal struggle like the one scene where he seems to like a girl,

But nah, no emotion-face the whole movie and just kill everyone, the end. Oh and he never even has to make the struggle choice to kill his parents because they both try to kill him first!

Everything is just so paper thin it's extremely non-satisfying story of any substance besides some gore kills which are solid.
Who the fuck are you even supposed to root for in the movie, because idk.
[close]

Anyhow I gotta see Under the Silver Lake. I really like Garfield and it's kinda sad that Spiderman killed his career  :'( It Follows was good too (even if kinda overrated), so I'm curious to check out his new thing.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34228 on: May 29, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
Speaking of The Duke of Burgundy

Looks fucking great.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34229 on: May 29, 2019, 12:58:36 PM »
Looks fucking great.
Spoiler alert, it is.
[/url]
Peter Strickland (Berberian Sound Studio) makes another unclassifiable yet delightful and genuine oddity with In Fabric. Its droll as hell and very often funny but not quite a comedy, its got lots of spooky parts and a few walloping scares but it sure ain't a horror film, its more of a retro-fetishistic and horror-adjacent dry comedy with lots of low-key social and consumer commentary. So far its a genre of one but its a damned solid genre. As for plot and character, its a diptych about an evil, magical red dress and the people who come into its possession. But what its really about is being as British as possible while introducing supernatural buggedity-boos and purple prose into mundane and quite arch lives. Its really something, with uniformly strong performances and vivid cinematography and sound design. I got no friggin idea how Strickland gets funding for these things, let alone multiple films now (gotta be a hell of a pitch meeting) but I'm quite glad he is.

[close]
Also, Re: Mainlining Godzilla. Seriously, skip around the timeline, watch them occasionally. Those 70's films get kinda rough and doing them back to back will minimize their actual strengths and charms. I recently did a James Bond rewatch. Took me about two months, I think that was about right.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34230 on: May 29, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
Yeah too bad that movie 5 years ago killed his career.

Think I’ll rent Hacksaw Ridge and then see Under The Silver lake tonight to mourn his career.
:lol

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34231 on: May 29, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »
For me it was the pacing and motivation. The first was visceral, brutal and vengeful.
The second was more of "he had to" as was this. I think the pacing was off. Halle Berry's character wasn't really necessary. They could have gone straight to Bronn also the last few fights felts drawn out. Still a lot of fun, but I'd rather watch the first two.
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #34232 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
John Wick 1 was generic as fuck. I mean, The Raid already existed at that point :goldberg

Bebpo

« Reply #34233 on: May 29, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
John Wick 3 had villains? I mean it had the tall guy at the start and then a goofy ass embarrassing Japanese guy but otherwise I thought it was all grunts...

Halle Berry was great though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34234 on: May 29, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
Ebirah and GMK have my waifu Mothra in them, do not skip.
©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34235 on: May 30, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »
not to steer the topic towards Bond, but License to Kill was an unexpected highlight for me. Its perhaps the meanest Bond film (and Connery casts a long friggin shadow in that regard).

Speaking of excellent action movies, John Wick 3 has so many rad acts of violence that it doesn't even matter that its other main component are essentially bureaucratic meetings of its assassin underworld. They've got lots of rules to follow, and fortunately roundhouse kicks and suplexes to deliver as well. I love the nods/inclusions to other works of action cinema, I love that Mark Dacascos finally got a prominent role in a film that people will see, that the villains from
The Raid 1 and 2 have a non-disappointing fight with Wick. Hell, Wick even convincingly beat Tiger Chen, damn Keanu that's some good work!
[close]
Its a dog and headshot loving celebration of stuntwork and neon contrast lighting. I had a stupidly great time with it.

My Son starts out great. As an estranged Dad desperately looks for answers to his son's disappearance from a wintery camp setting. The grounded, non-histrionic approach to its nightmare-ish scenario is gripping, with good actors doing some darn good acting. But as the film progresses it trades the cold and discomforting drama of terror its been for a more conventional suspense thriller. Shame. Still packs a lot of good into its brief run time.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34236 on: May 30, 2019, 12:19:35 AM »
whoa, whoa, whoa...

skip GMK!?

that's like, the best one of the Millennium series. By far. In fact that whole run Godzilla 2000-Godzilla Final Wars is all pretty good. Megaguirus ain't great but its got an awesome score. Final Wars is terrible but also really fun

The Godzilla animes are rather disappointing tho, I'll take even the crappier live-action movies over any of them.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34237 on: May 30, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »
Tangent upon a tangent and again...

Much as I love Godzilla (glances towards shelf with near every domestically released DVD/Blu-Ray release on it), and its a lot. I'd be remiss not to mention the hugely excellent non-Godzilla trilogies Daimajin and Gamera.

Daimajin is from the 60's, but don't let.that put you off, the effects work is largely excellent. Its also a darker, more mature series than Godzilla.The ancient stone god Daimajin will come to life only when a great injustice is visited on his lands, once active he's more of the smiting god and less of the compassionate one. There's no better (or even existent) samurai era kaiju series.

The 90's Gamera trilogy kicks an awful lot of ass. With bigger budgets than Toho was giving out, and with a less hurried production schedule, these films took a chintzy, second rate series and gave it an injection of successfully realized ambition. They're my pick for the best modern kaiju anything (all past 20 years old, suppose I should stop callkng them modern).

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34238 on: May 30, 2019, 04:19:16 AM »
Heh I'm lukewarm about the Kaneko's Gameras. I saw the last one first (Revenge of Iris ?) and the two others a few years later and found them to be pretty typical of kaiju-eiga flaws, with an incredibly bland and wooden "human element", as flat as the originals in a very nineties way. The first one especially -if I'm not mistaken- is insufferable with Mister Protagonist Man droning about radioactivity or whatever the mcguffin technobabble of the Giant Turtle is every 5 minutes or so. The monster bit are a lot better (Iris has some great bits, the night fight in a railway station IIRC) and I believe the hype they brought some novelty to the genre (Gamera bleeds profusely, for instance) but honestly, for all its dumbness and hyper activity, Godzilla Final Wars aged a lot better IMO. Iris is the one I liked most but the CG effects were already shaky.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34239 on: May 30, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Daimajin looks awesome. I love 60s Japanese cinema.

Svejk

« Reply #34240 on: May 30, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »

Pretty pumped...  RAMBO WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!
Except for this movie most likely. lol
[close]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:41:45 AM by Svejk »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34241 on: May 30, 2019, 11:58:44 AM »
Rambo: LAST BOOMER
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34242 on: May 30, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
The entire trailer is basically John Rambo killing 20 to 30 something thugs with country music in the background.
Looks like Boomer revenge porn to me.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34243 on: May 30, 2019, 02:25:02 PM »
The entire trailer is basically John Rambo killing 20 to 30 something thugs with country music in the background.
Looks like Boomer revenge porn to me.

©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #34244 on: May 30, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
Seeing Godzilla in a few hours. So hyped for this I'm taking a few hours off of work to catch the first showing. Reviews are worse than Brightburn  :'(
I really hope this isn't another shitty USA godzilla. I like Michael Dougherty and the trailers have been great. I'm ok with this being a bad movie as long as it's a good godzilla movie. Plz do Mothra/Ghidora/Godzilla justice. Don't care about Rodan lol

When I was like 10 they did a Godzilla 24H marathon on TV and I watched like every Godzilla film and became a big fan. I fucking love Godzilla! I also hate every USA Godzilla so far :(

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #34245 on: May 30, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
my expectations are in check, as they are really for any high budgeted film.

It can't possibly be worse than Godzilla 98'. So I'm pretty much good with whatever they make

Bebpo

« Reply #34246 on: May 30, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
Idk, I'd say that last USA Godzilla was worse than 98  :lol This one better be a lot better than that or I'm raging.

Lol at all the fanboy reviews a few weeks ago being OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER GODZILLA IS BACK BAYBEEEEEE and now all the ones coming out are how much it fucking sucks and they somehow made the fight scenes boring and so dark and full of rain you can barely see shit anyway.

Aka, all early review for every movie ever. I pretty much don't look at reviews until release date or the day before when there's a wide amount of reviews in.

Bebpo

« Reply #34247 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
Also to add that I'm not having weaboo bias in this, Japan has had lots of Godzilla stinkers. The most recent 3 part anime movie series is probably the worst goddamn godzilla movie ever made which is something! But they've also had some good ones. 98 was cheesy fun I guess sorta maybe, idk.

If we count Cloverfield, I'd say that's the only good western Godzilla up until now.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34248 on: May 30, 2019, 06:07:37 PM »

the first daimajin and mantango are peak toho showa. what's interesting about the daimajin series is that each of the three films were helmed by zatoichi veterans to help nail down the samurai kaiju feels with the second film being directed by lone wolf and cub's kenji misumi. if you love 60s japanese cinema, you'll def enjoy it though they do go down in quality with each subsequent film imo

Tasty

« Reply #34249 on: May 30, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »
As maligned at Godzilla 2014 was, I'm glad they didn't ditch that aesthetic/world/Godzilla design.

I still get goosebumps from that Oppenheimer teaser.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34250 on: May 30, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
a large part of the reason i'm drawn to godzilla films, specifically the showa and heisei series, is for the aesthetics and 2014 and its sequel do absolutely nothing for me :'( the only way i'd care for a western take on godzilla were if guillermo del toro were to write and direct

godzilla peaked in 89-91 imo

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34251 on: May 30, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »
 :badass

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34252 on: May 30, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »

the first daimajin and mantango are peak toho showa. what's interesting about the daimajin series is that each of the three films were helmed by zatoichi veterans to help nail down the samurai kaiju feels with the second film being directed by lone wolf and cub's kenji misumi. if you love 60s japanese cinema, you'll def enjoy it though they do go down in quality with each subsequent film imo

I love misumi man, I got deep into the zatoichi movies recently and his eye for composition and framing is spectacular. I've been meaning to track down the last film he did, the last samurai but it looks like it only exists in an out of print dvd format in the west?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34253 on: May 30, 2019, 09:10:12 PM »
Godzilla: Infinity War

mrw my mom says Thanos had some good ideas

[close]

Human parts:  :boring

Monster parts:  :ohyeah

So in other words, it was a Godzilla movie. Godzilla vs Ghidorah in the snow was p. lit.

Monster Power Rankings:
Godzilla - THICC Godzilla, King of Thighs
King Ghidorah - Badass
Mothra - Waifu af
Rodan - Complete jobber

"Let them fight" meme reference, pls clap.
[close]
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #34254 on: May 31, 2019, 01:21:48 AM »
GODZILLA

I was satisfied and enjoyed every scene the main 4 were in (Godzilla, King Ghidora, Mothra, Rodan). The human scenes were pretty terrible but Charles Dance is great and chews the scenery. My favorite part of the human bits is no matter where in the world they were and what was going on there would always be this random cut to Ice Cube's son doing something military heroic like shooting a gun out of a helicopter or grabbing a kid being lifted by the wind. It's like "remember this guy, whose one of the 7 named actors in the film???" so random cuts to him throughout.

Oh and how it's a direct sequel to 2014 so the movie constantly namedrops ANDREW, that main guy played by the kickass/bad quicksilver in 2014. Lots of ANDREW WOULDN'T WANT YOU TO DO THIS. WHAT WOULD ANDREW DO. Meanwhile everyone in the audience is like who the fuck is Andrew  :lol Probably would have been better to have the human plot be more standalone tbh.

But the KAIJU

oh man, the star of this movie is fucking KING GHIDORA. When they announced he was gonna be in it I was like omg how is hollywood going to do a non-goofy 3 headed fucking dragon that breathes lightning? WELL THEY SURE DID IT AND IT IS AWESOME. Ghidora looks amazingly badass and gets a ton of screentime. Rodan looks good too and I don't even like Rodan but he was pretty awesome. Mothra was great and Godzilla was great but I still am not really a big fan of this lizard style look.

There's a lot of great moments and things that made me smile. Awesome throwbacks to classic godzilla films.

It's basically a super serious modern take on the battle royal Godzilla films of the 60s/70s that's awesome for all the kaiju stuff and zzzz/filler for all the human stuff. The balance is about even, so in other words if someone makes a fan cut that removes every scene with humans, this would be a fucking awesome A quality Godzilla flick. As is, it's still a good middle-tier Godzilla flick but the human stuff is zzz

The biggest crime the film makes is that one of the biggest positives is unlike 2014 this film shows you lots and lots of Kaiju front and center battling, but one of the biggest negatives is it will constantly cut back and forth during an awesome kaiju fight to some stupid human drama scene. So it's like HE GOES FOR THE PUUUN -> Whiney whiney whiny human -> 10 SECONDS LATER OPPONENT GETS UP FROM THE PUNCH WITH A WAKE UP DRAGON PUU -> cry cry humans -> OMG IN AIR AWESOME SHIT. Pacing is kinda fucked during some of the battles because of this :(

But yeah, on the positives King Ghidora is the most amazing-est amazing representation of a fucking 3 headed dragon on film. Worth every penny to see on a giant screen with LOUD sound (my ears hurt after the movie ended from how fucking loud it was nonstop for 2 hours)...if you're a godzilla fan.

If you're not a godzilla fan and you think kaiju are boring this is an easy skip. It's not a good "movie" but it's a solid Godzilla film with a lot of satisfying bits. I enjoyed it enough and would give it a mild thumbs up.
Also all the original Kaiju like the Muto in 2014 are pretty lame designs that don't fit with the old-school designs at all. They need a better monster designer for the GCU (Godzilla Cinematic Universe)

Favorite bits:
-King Ghidora biting a power station and going fucking SSJ
-Godzilla emerging post-nuke out of the water to the original Akira Ikufube Godzilla theme
-Oh yeah, finding fucking Atlantis and it being Godzilla's home as just some plot point was kinda of cheezy amazing
-Godzilla getting a head rip in, fuck yeah
-MOTHRA GIVING GODZILLA A PHOENIX DOWN POTION
-Mothra getting webshooter in on Ghidora and then Godzilla comes up from behind and you see his reflection as he grabs Ghidora and smashes his head through a building, fuck yeah
-Mothra v Rodan
-King Ghidora being a flying fucking storm
-Godzilla emerging from the ICE for the battle
-GHIDORA TAKING GODZILLA TO SPACE AND BURNING RE-ENTRY
-Mothra theme in the credits!
-Oh and I like that they kept his original back story of being a SPACE DRAGON :O
[close]

Also the post-credits scene is cool in that it potentially lines up something even crazier if they do another one after Kong v Zilla.

Charles Dance Piloting Mecha-Ghidora??? DO IT
[close]

Speaking of which I still have no idea how they are going to make Kong v Godzilla work considering the power level of Godzilla is like >>>>>>>>>>>>>> A giant monkey. How is this fight not over in like 5 mins. Still looking forward to it and hopefully Wingard does something fun.

Would be crazy if the Mecha-Ghidora teaser is for that movie, but probably too early.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:39:41 AM by Bebpo »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34255 on: May 31, 2019, 08:49:22 AM »
That third spoiler....what? :lol :lol :lol :lol

The post-credit scene is Charles Dance getting the Ghidorah head that Godzilla tore off in an earlier battle. The obvious play here is using some advanced bio-mechanical tech to bring the three-headed space dragon back to life. But that's probably for after Godzilla v King Kong.
[close]
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34256 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
Fuck yes Mothra :rejoice

Best Kaiju :rejoice

Slay Queen :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #34257 on: May 31, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
That third spoiler....what? :lol :lol :lol :lol

The post-credit scene is Charles Dance getting the Ghidorah head that Godzilla tore off in an earlier battle. The obvious play here is using some advanced bio-mechanical tech to bring the three-headed space dragon back to life. But that's probably for after Godzilla v King Kong.
[close]

No I meant the 3rd spoiler of the first part.
Godzilla lives in Atlantis?
[close]
:lol :lol :lol

Even better

Godzilla is revealed to have been like the king/god of Atlantis and there's all these Godzilla statues everywhere and Atlantis is located...within the hollow earth which is what Godzilla uses to quickly travel around the world lol
[close]

A lot of the plot points are so nonsense and played completely serious that if they played it in a more campy style like Skull Island it'd probably have been a lot better and better received by critics.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34258 on: May 31, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
The crazy Godzilla and other monster lore is the one of the best parts of American Godzilla, tbh.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34259 on: May 31, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »
Seriously I'm SO FUCKING JAZZED THEY DID MOTHRA RIGHT

:heartbeat