Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4185482 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34380 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:18 PM »
Top 5 greatest movie, top 2 Keanu movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #34381 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:34 PM »
Saw that Dark Phoenix lol

The intro was actually ok, but pretty clear after that Kinsberg has no idea what story to tell about the Phoenix power and a bunch of small meh stuff happens and then the 25% of the entire film reshoot train happens with weird bits of mutant ultra-violence and then it ends zzz. Remember when First Class was actually good and likeable?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34382 on: June 21, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »
They're making an english (American) adaption of the 2010 Point Blank.

Which if you havn't seen it, pretty good movie. The remake will shit.

Leadbelly

« Reply #34383 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:58 AM »
The reviews are coming in for Midsommar, Ari Aster's new movie, and it seems to be good.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/midsommar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34384 on: June 21, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
I'm stoked, I wish it was out this week.
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34385 on: June 21, 2019, 08:17:26 PM »
I’m going to get baked and watch Argento movies all weekend. First up, Opera, because I haven’t seen it and it’s apparently good.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:24:00 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34386 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »
Toy story 4 was the best of the bunch
que

Bebpo

« Reply #34387 on: June 21, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »

Daaaamn, that is high praise.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34388 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »

Daaaamn, that is high praise.
Yes it is. Go see it!
que

TVC15

« Reply #34389 on: June 22, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
Opera was awesome. Halfway through Tenebre. That mirror kill was awesome. Love the theme, too.

serge

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #34390 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
john wick 3 is so stupid

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #34391 on: June 22, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
I finally got around to seeing John Wick 3 last night and thought it was great.  :doge

TVC15

« Reply #34392 on: June 22, 2019, 10:40:40 AM »
Argento da gawd.  This sequence...

Look at those boobies. They could turn a guy. They are exquisite. Oh yeah, nsfw.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

BlueTsunami, watch if you haven’t. Opera also features some camera acrobatics that will make your eyes pee the white pee.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:45:56 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #34393 on: June 22, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
Also, I think I just kinda find Italian babes bonus beautiful.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #34394 on: June 22, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
Dark Phoenix

[Mild spoilers but it really doesn't matter]

Blah. I was expecting so much more -- and I'm someone who walked away satisfied after Apocalypse. It feels like a first draft or first-year writer's work. "This happens, and then this happens, and then this happens."

It's all so... flat. There's no dramatic criss-crossing between plots or characters, no dynamism or dramatic thrust. The editing literally ends and starts whole scenes in sequence like a factory made the film. And the "action" is probably the worst it's been in the series... just, boring and lifeless feeling.

I also caught McAvoy's accent slipping up a bit, or his inflections not matching the consistency he had in First Class/DoFP/Apoc.

The ending makes no sense and I'm not happy with Xavier being booted out of his whole school, made out to be a public failure, and basically the whole movie's plot kicking off cause of his hubris... There was potential to show a real character arc for him, but as it is in the movie it feels so half-assed and rushed. And McAvoy acts him with almost too much conviction and no remorse in some scenes, which feels like a minor betrayal of his character as portrayed in the three previous movies.

The only "oh shit" moment of the movie comes from my favorite character in the past two movies, Nightcrawler. When he bamfs that chick in front of the train, I was like "Fuuuuck yeah." But a movie like this needs one of those at least every half hour, if not every 10-15 minutes (when Infinity War got rolling it felt like every 5-10 mins there was a moment like that.)

I'm giving Kinberg the benefit of the doubt on the editing and action, but there's no reason the plot has to be so... threadbare. Like they literally put everything in the trailers, and what's left is just the glue between those scenes. And there's nothing interesting in the glue of this movie ("glue" can be interesting and entertaining, see Godfather, etc.) I was like "OK the trailers show some pretty tame stuff for an all-powerful cosmic entity, but surely it's just cause the trailer doesn't include the final battle."

I actually ready the plot of this movie ahead of time to prepare myself, and even I'm baffled at how quickly the "final confrontation" plays out (after Jean lands the train.) Poochie Phoenix went back to his her home planet, I guess.

Also they never even say "Genosha" in the film, wtf. If Apoc was a glutton that vomited on people nonstop, Dark Phoenix is the starving child dying of ebola.

2 / 5

Tasty

« Reply #34395 on: June 22, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »
Oh yeah Zimmer's score is surprisingly wonderful too. Glad he decided to come back to cape movies, though not sure he picked the right comeback film here. :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34396 on: June 22, 2019, 09:03:19 PM »
Oh yeah Zimmer's score is surprisingly wonderful too. Glad he decided to come back to cape movies, though not sure he picked the right comeback film here. :doge
His man of steel score is great.
One of the few good things in that movie, i suppose.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:22:38 PM by Don Rumata »

Tasty

« Reply #34397 on: June 23, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
https://forums.superherohype.com/threads/dark-phoenix-deleted-scenes-thread-spoilers.551135

Some stuff I've found digging into Dark Phoenix's deleted scenes:

It was originally about 22 minutes longer, and ended with Jean taking out an alien fleet attacking the UN, then heading into space to finish the job by sacrificing herself.

Test audience screening was in Feb 2018, it went badly and even Kinberg agreed with the feedback. The UN finale got 90% of its effects done + all its editing and scoring complete by the end of April. Reshoots were decided in May 2018, and began in August (lasting between 2.5 weeks and 3 months, depending on who you believe.)

The UN set was the size of a football field and only had a permit for four months, so it was destroyed after production wrapped. This made it far too expensive to reshoot any shots or scenes apart of the original climax, so Kinberg wrote a new third act (the train sequence in the final cut) which in his words resolved some key plotlines, especially between Hank and Erik.

The effects on Jean were way more yellow/orangey/firey originally, but they decided to go more "cosmic" after reshoots.

There was talk after the bad test screening of doing two movies, but one of the companies financing it I guess pulled out? So this probably led them to believe reshooting the whole third act was the only way.

The UN ending is actually so finished it may appear on home media, though one of the sources says the current conversation is to make it an "X-Men Movie Box Set" exclusive (this box set will apparently also include Logan and Deadpool.)

The link has a full breakdown of what's different in the final cut vs. the test screening.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34398 on: June 23, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34399 on: June 25, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
based on the vidya game

Leadbelly

« Reply #34400 on: June 25, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/original-ghostbuster-dan-aykroyd-talks-the-new-seq/1100-6467838/

Dan Akroyd: "Jason [Reitman] came up with this idea, which is just so good, everybody got it right away and understood. It will connect, better than anything, to the first [Ghostbusters]. That’s about all I can say about it, but the two movies will connect, in a way that hasn’t been done before. In a way that hasn’t been done before.

They're going to use actual ghosts!  :o

Just read that article. Dan Aykroyd is fucking delusional.

Everybody that is in comedy, everybody that knows a good performance, and anybody who's a fan of those four ladies, just loved the picture, because they really delivered. Anything less than that, is simply just straight up prejudice and bias that should not be tolerated in any way, in my view,

I...

I mean it wouldn't be so bad if he just said something like, 'the movie isn't as bad as some people made it out to be', or even, 'the movie is better than some gave it credit for'. I wouldn't agree, but at least he wouldn't sound like a total dickhead.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:51:43 PM by Leadbelly »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34401 on: June 25, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »
based on the vidya game

I thought this wads the FP game they removed from Steam, but it's another one?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Bebpo

« Reply #34403 on: June 26, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »
Things.I.Did.Not.Expect.To.Say.In.2019

Child's Play (2019) - Has a good script (even kinda woke), good performances throughout, and some stylish directing with a handful of nicely framed/lit shots. There's like nothing wrong with the movie at all besides maybe being less sadistic and more mainstream summer movie friendly than the originals. It lacks that "serial killer having fun murdering the shit out of people as a doll" feeling of the originals and at first I was against the concept of changing from a ghost serial killer to just an evil robo ai movie, but nah, it's fine and a very solid 3/4 star movie about an evil robodoll.

I'd say it's every bit as well made as the IT Remake Pt.1, just that IT is a more interesting story concept than evil AI robodoll killing people. Only so much you can do with the latter, but the movie is very enjoyable and solid across the board in a way you do not see often from mainstream horror flicks. The screenplay writer and the director are definitely going to be people to watch in the horror industry.

And unrelated to that, Aubrey Plaza looks darn good these days. Used to crush on her in the early seasons of Parks & Recs and still crushing  :-[

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34404 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:23 AM »
Detention is what put on them on the map, the dev's subsequent game was removed IIRC
Yup. Devotion is the one that was removed/pulled. Still not back. Wonder if it'll ever return.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #34405 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
Just finished watching They Shall Not Grow Old on a flight from Melbourne to Brisbane.

I feel so fucking empty right now.
Spud

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34406 on: June 26, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »
It's not too late, you might die in a massive global conflict yet.

Leadbelly

« Reply #34407 on: June 26, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
So Midsommar has just got rated. It is going to be an 18 in the UK (R-rated in the US). Hereditary was a 15 for comparison.

Disturbing ritualistic violence and grisly images, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use, and language.

Just makes me even more interested to see it.

Edit

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:31:26 PM by Leadbelly »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #34408 on: June 26, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
So Midsommar has just got rated. It is going to be an R-rating. Hereditary was a 15 for comparison.

Disturbing ritualistic violence and grisly images, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use, and language.

Just makes me more even more interested to see it.

How the fuck was Hereditary only a 15+?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34409 on: June 26, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »
why did u even bother to recommend heroes of the east (Image removed from quote.)

i bailed out half way

tired of kungu fu films that emphasize kung fu, instead of focusing on an interesting story with kung fu interspersed

i think ill stick with my nicca chang cheh

Well there's no accounting for terrible taste I guess.
ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #34410 on: June 26, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
So Midsommar has just got rated. It is going to be an R-rating. Hereditary was a 15 for comparison.

Just makes me more even more interested to see it.

How the fuck was Hereditary only a 15+?

lol

I am confusing things... Hereditary was rated R as well. Midsommar is a strong R though. In the UK it is an 18 rating. Hereditary is a 15 and Midsommar is an 18.

And I think they allow more these days under a 15 rating than they used to. A couple of edits here and there, and they seem to let it go. Like Red Sparrow was a strong 15 for sure. Years ago it would probably have been an 18. It really does go close to the line of what is acceptable for a 15. I guess hereditary is similar.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:25:46 PM by Leadbelly »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34411 on: June 26, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
Midsommar is my most hyped movie of the summer.
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #34412 on: June 26, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Midsommar is my most hyped movie of the summer.

Yeah. It certainly seems like it is going to be something different in terms of horror.

Tasty

« Reply #34413 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
https://twitter.com/HARPlELADY/status/1142910827969896450

Concept art for the deleted ending. Looks like Cindi would have gotten her wish (kinda) as she was definitely going to wear a version of her comics Phoenix outfit here...

Tasty

« Reply #34414 on: June 27, 2019, 11:30:15 AM »

Y'all ready for some of that sweet Zac Effron action?

That could have worked if this were live action (Freddy Prince Jr. played a great airhead), but this movie is 3D animated...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34415 on: June 27, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Y'all ready for some of that sweet Zac Effron action?

That could have worked if this were live action (Freddy Prince Jr. played a great airhead), but this movie is 3D animated...

Post-credit scene for The Banana Splits Show Movie:

"Yoinks Scoob, looks like it was this Infinity Gem that caused the Banana Splits to turn into insane killing machines. Better put this in a safe place."

*hands it to Benicio Del Toro*
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #34416 on: June 27, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »
Oh man, I watched Deadly Friend last night and it was gloriously terrible.

serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34417 on: June 28, 2019, 12:02:34 AM »
Hey TVC, what's your opinion on Silent Night, Deadly Night? I watched it last week for the first time and I was a bit meh on it. It feels like they wanted it to be funny, but they didn't lean in enough on the humor. A couple of scenes, like the crazy old grandpa telling the kid that Santa Claus is going to come and get him, had me to cackling but there wasn't enough of that. At least Linnea Quigley got naked, even though she was barely in it.
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34418 on: June 28, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
___

TVC15

« Reply #34419 on: June 28, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »
Hey TVC, what's your opinion on Silent Night, Deadly Night? I watched it last week for the first time and I was a bit meh on it. It feels like they wanted it to be funny, but they didn't lean in enough on the humor. A couple of scenes, like the crazy old grandpa telling the kid that Santa Claus is going to come and get him, had me to cackling but there wasn't enough of that. At least Linnea Quigley got naked, even though she was barely in it.

It never impressed me much, although I have to admit I love seeing Linnea being silly. I believe she answers the door topless at night during a snow storm in it!

But really, aside from her scene, I don’t even recall much of it. I’ve seen so many generic slashers that this one has faded from my memory. Maybe I should rewatch.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #34420 on: June 28, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
Read that movie title as "Silent Night, Daddy Night" at first. I blame TVC's avatar.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34421 on: June 28, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
The new shaft is on netflix and im watching it
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34422 on: June 28, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
The new shaft is on netflix and im watching it

What? Isn't it a theatrical release?

Netflix is the international distributor.
dog

TVC15

« Reply #34423 on: June 28, 2019, 08:48:03 PM »
Huh, Silent Night Deadly Night isn’t streaming anywhere.

Ugh, need something sleazy and violent to watch. I guess I can watch Savage Streets again on Prime. That’s the one where Linda Blair plays a chick whose distinguished mentally-challenged fellow sister, played by Linnea Quigley, gets gang raped by 80s street punks and she has to get revenge. But I’m open to viewing suggestions.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34424 on: June 28, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
it's friday, go out and stuff some george washingtons into emiliano's jock

TVC15

« Reply #34425 on: June 28, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
it's friday, go out and stuff some george washingtons into emiliano's jock

I know you’re just looking out for the financial well-being of your bro, but I’ve had the shittiest week, I feel shitty, and I just want to get naked and stoned and watch people get abused and chopped up.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34426 on: June 28, 2019, 09:34:26 PM »

It never impressed me much, although I have to admit I love seeing Linnea being silly. I believe she answers the door topless at night during a snow storm in it!

Yeah, she’s banging her bf and then she’s like “I heard the cat at the door, I gotta go let him in” and her bf is like  :pika

That was a good scene.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34427 on: June 29, 2019, 12:58:10 AM »
Saw Spider-Man: Far from Home last night. IMAX 3D is the way to go. Mysterio is an even better MCU update than The Vulture, which was my previous fave.

Mid-credits scene is fantastic, post credits one kinda meh.

Looks like it could be pretty fun.
Looks great. I liked a Weaving a bunch in The Babysitter.

TVC15

« Reply #34428 on: June 29, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »
That has nothing to do with movies. Getting this back on track...

serge

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #34429 on: June 30, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
Watched Alita: Battle Angel

Kind of a mess imo. Felt like I was watching one of those comic book adaptions from the early 90's and that isn't a compliment coming from me. I felt like the movie was constantly going for cool and instead felt goofy. But not goofy enough to be unique. But goofy as in, its hard for me not to roll my eyes. Most of the good actors are wasted with this material. Maybe would have worked better as an animated movie where you can have a different sensibility when doing fantastical things compared to live action. But I hated the action scenes. Everything had that weightless cg feel modern special effects have. The story was either by the books or felt under-served by what was taking place on screen. I have no idea how faithful or unfaithful it was to the source material but either way I didn't like the feel and tone of the movie.

Maybe a 4 out of 10 for me.

I know it was reviewed quite well so there was definitely a disconnect between me and the critical review crowd.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:32:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34430 on: June 30, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
Watched Alita: Battle Angel

Kind of a mess imo. Felt like I was watching one of those comic book adaptions from the early 90's and that isn't a compliment coming from me. I felt like the movie was constantly going for cool and instead felt goofy. But not goofy enough to be unique. But goofy as in, its hard for me not to roll my eyes. Most of the good actors are wasted with this material. Maybe would have worked better as an animated movie where you can have a different sensibility when doing fantastical things compared to live action. But I hated the action scenes. Everything had that weightless cg feel modern special effects have. The story was either by the books or felt under-served by what was taking place on screen. I have no idea how faithful or unfaithful it was to the source material but either way I didn't like the feel and tone of the movie.

Maybe a 4 out of 10 for me.

I know it was reviewed quite well so there was definitely a disconnect between me and the critical review crowd.

The story changed some things up from the original (which got its owned animated version in the 90s- check it out for comparison!) and they shoehorned the motorball stuff in too quickly.  Motorball is what followed the first part of the story and had its own set of characters.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34431 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
HAY GUYZ

Remember how AWESOME that Sony reboot of Ghostbusters was?  Well, here's Sony's ULTRA-WOKE Charlie's Angel's remake!

Sony Pictures dropped the newest trailer for the woke reboot of Charlie’s Angels. It’s got Elizabeth Banks, with production by Elizabeth Banks, a screenplay by Elizabeth Banks, and its also written by Elizabeth Banks… oh, and did I mention that it’s directed by Elizabeth Banks? Because Elizabeth Banks also directed the film, and it also stars Elizabeth Banks, in case you didn’t know that Elizabeth Banks is in the film, because she is.
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34432 on: June 30, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
HAY GUYZ

Remember how AWESOME that Sony reboot of Ghostbusters was?  Well, here's Sony's ULTRA-WOKE Charlie's Angel's remake!

Sony Pictures dropped the newest trailer for the woke reboot of Charlie’s Angels. It’s got Elizabeth Banks, with production by Elizabeth Banks, a screenplay by Elizabeth Banks, and its also written by Elizabeth Banks… oh, and did I mention that it’s directed by Elizabeth Banks? Because Elizabeth Banks also directed the film, and it also stars Elizabeth Banks, in case you didn’t know that Elizabeth Banks is in the film, because she is.
UGH, another classic, remade with an all-female cast. :fbm

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34433 on: June 30, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
Shouldn't a modern twist on Charlie's Angels be a team of Go-Go Boys?
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34434 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »
I'd watch that if it had strong femdom vibes.

Tasty

« Reply #34435 on: June 30, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
HAY GUYZ

Anything by Arianna Grande is a no from me. Fuck that dumb bitch.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34436 on: June 30, 2019, 08:43:19 PM »
she killed mac miller

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #34437 on: June 30, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »
HAY GUYZ

How was this appreciably different than the trailer for the last one?

You spend too much time reading / posting in the shite thread.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34438 on: June 30, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »

Starring Emiliano, Emiliano, and Emiliano. 27 stars, says TVC.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #34439 on: June 30, 2019, 10:44:37 PM »
Saw Annabelle Comes Home - Was the most wholesome horror film. Feels like they should screen it in churches to warn kids not to mess with spirits. I have no idea how this is rated R. There is no graphic violence, no gore and no one curses and no nudity, wtf? It's a straight up pg-13 film. In fact

spoiler (click to show/hide)
No one even dies in the movie
[close]

It's a so-so film. The characters are fine but they really drag out the tension/scares scenes to the point I was like c'mon already get to the jump scare. So in other words it was kinda boring. The best part was probably the 5-8 min intro scene featuring the main Warren couple. They're both very likeable actors with good chemistry, wish they were in the actual film (they aren't outside the first 5-8 mins and the last 3 mins). Definitely on board for Conjuring 3 next year even if the director is iffy since these two characters have enough draw to enjoy watching them.