Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4188324 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34620 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:10 PM »
t h i c c furlong=dummy t h i c  c jon connor  :anhuld

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34621 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:31 AM »

...Uh oh. Wow. I certainly didn't imagine that this is where I'd see James Gray name pop up. Tense car shoutout between NY mobsters... IN SPACE !?

Kinda hyped.

Edit : Can Tom Cruise get anymore blatant "I'm still young dammit !" :lol
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34622 on: July 19, 2019, 05:37:47 AM »
Edit : Can Tom Cruise get anymore blatant "I'm still young dammit !" :lol

He's a tall young action star

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #34623 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
the weirdest thing about the cats trailer is how dodgy the tracking is on the mocapped faces. gives it an extra dimesion of jittery horror.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34624 on: July 19, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
the weirdest thing about the cats trailer is how dodgy the tracking is on the mocapped faces. gives it an extra dimesion of jittery horror.

tfw you realize it's actually an adaptation of HP Lovecraft's The Cats of Ulthar
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34625 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:25 AM »
They tried to do a whole movie with Deep Fakes with that thing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:00:09 PM by Don Rumata »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #34626 on: July 19, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
Edward Furlong is back as Jon Connor back for new terminator.  Can't wait to hear his shrill screams all over again.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34627 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »
The inside-out Japanese Coca-Cola t-shirt really brings the image together.
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34628 on: July 19, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
You burn your robo daddy in lava and see how you look at 40. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34629 on: July 19, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
The inside-out Japanese Coca-Cola t-shirt really brings the image together.

His "Born to Die/Kill 'em all 1989" shirt was in the wash.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34630 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »
Edward Furlong is back as Jon Connor back for new terminator.  Can't wait to hear his shrill screams all over again.

(Image removed from quote.)
def looks like he comes from a post apocalyptic world  :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34632 on: July 19, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
The cartoon versions are expressive. The CGI versions look like someone lip syncing to a nature documentary.
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #34633 on: July 19, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Come on John! What are you doing? Run!

John: I need to pull up my Jeans hold on!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34634 on: July 20, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
So uh

Went to see the new Spider-Man. And I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fun watch and as far as acting goes Jake Gyllenhaal is actually a bit too good for the Marvel universe with this performances.
Tom Holland does a great Spider-Man, the other kids are o.k. in this as well. May is still hot and Jon Favreau handled his expanded role quite well.

Also, 2 after credits scenes which were both intriguing. 

7.5/10 would Spider-Man again
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34635 on: July 20, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
batman hush was  amazing

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dameon giving bats the sex talk :rofl
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #34636 on: July 20, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
All the marvel movie announcements are cool. Tony Leung as Mandarin is awesome. Dr. Strange 2 being a Lovecraft mindfuck horror film is cool. Taskmaster aka. shit-talking Skeletor being in Black Widow is cool.

Even though they announced

Nightmare
[close]

As the antagonist in the Dr. Strange film, it seems like doing a multi-universe mindfuck movie whose title is a straight play on H.P. Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness would certainly be a good place to do this guy:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:39:23 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34637 on: July 20, 2019, 11:59:14 PM »
BLADE!

nudemacusers

« Reply #34638 on: July 21, 2019, 12:17:24 AM »
Hopefully they push the weird shit in the next dr strange that they hinted at in the first.

Also endgame apparently hit the ww record so we are on Disney time now. Especially since the hellish lion king did 200 milly or something.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Bebpo

« Reply #34639 on: July 21, 2019, 12:40:33 AM »
BLADE!

If they weren’t going to keep Snipes, Ali’s definitely the next best pick so I’m happy.

Plus, given Snipes acting as Blade this year, maybe it’s for the better.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34640 on: July 21, 2019, 12:47:33 AM »
BLADE!

If they weren’t going to keep Snipes, Ali’s definitely the next best pick so I’m happy.

???

Bebpo

« Reply #34641 on: July 21, 2019, 01:18:10 AM »
BLADE!

???

He has a cameo as Blade in

What We Do in the Shadows TV
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34642 on: July 21, 2019, 03:01:30 AM »
Feige also announced a Fantastic Four movie with just them, no working them in through a side door, he gives no fucks all like "watch me make a billion dollars off this shit by just updating one of the classic comic plots by 50 years instead of whatever it is you dummies at Fox tried to do with tent guy"

also they actually convinced Portman to come back back for Thor, she's gonna be Female Thor because Feige gives no fucks

and Eternals is their big movie for Fall 2020 (Black Widow in May) and was never actually cancelled after all because Feige gives no fucks

Tasty

« Reply #34643 on: July 21, 2019, 07:25:18 AM »
So like what's the deal with the eternals and why should I care

benjipwns

« Reply #34644 on: July 21, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
they're theoretically other half of the New Gods that Jack Kirby did because he went back to Marvel but then they cancelled it unfinished too so he left to work at Hanna-Barbara and then 30 years later Neil Gaiman did a seven part reboot of it that's great but the other instances don't adhere to either other than in the basics about the war between the Eternals and Deviants, also they met Thor for a big story once and fought Thanos a few times

no idea how they'll adapt it at all, or which version they'll adapt, they're all pretty dependent on establishing The Celestials, which I guess would tie into where Guardians has been leading

Tasty

« Reply #34645 on: July 21, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
That's bad news because I've never even really cared about the New Gods :idont

benjipwns

« Reply #34646 on: July 21, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
the Eternals somewhat fixed the part where everybody who came after interpreted New Genesis and therefore every New God on it to be inherently good and pure and heroes when they're all immortal gods and so it's a question of their nature and not their will

the Skrull are descended from a Deviant

and it's long been assumed that they were working towards a Kree-Skrull War for the post-Thanos MCU before the Inhumans bombed and they got the mutants back

Celestials/Mar-Vell/Kree/Skrulls are all Cosmic Marvel staples and makes sense if they're going quickly with a FF movie since they were the linchpin for a lot of that stuff early on when it was getting introduced like Galactus and Annihilus

plus they probably want to avoid too much focus on Earth for a bit since The Avengers have to be restarted with new members and plus plus there was that whole five years when half the planet was missing and assumed dead and the world completely fell apart thing :doge
[close]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:11:47 AM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34647 on: July 21, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/07/movie-review-the-lion-king-fake-live-action-pc-agenda/

None of this wink-wink inauthenticity was a problem when Zack Snyder’s Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’hoole — the most exquisitely designed animated film since Fantasia — respected the moral values in coming-of-age narratives. Biblical and Shakespearean archetypes are trivialized by the new Disney. Its style of fake realism prevents one from imaginatively projecting onto the animation. When Simba comes into his own and must defend his tribe against his scheming uncle Scar and the menacing, invasive Hyenas, there’s no emotional power. The Lion King’s parallels to the historical lessons of Greek mythology or fairy-tale morality just feel like vague memories.

God Bless Armond White

:salute

benjipwns

« Reply #34648 on: July 21, 2019, 12:12:33 PM »
You have to stay awake, Eglantine, or the pure ones will moon-blink us!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34649 on: July 21, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
Armond White is probably the only person that remembers that movie ever existed, I bet Snyder doesn't even remember it.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #34650 on: July 21, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
Armond White is probably the only person that remembers that movie ever existed, I bet Snyder doesn't even remember it.
Look, Liz, we have reasons for doing things the way that we do them. We say "half an hour" to control the herds of walking mozzarella sticks who think that three hundred dollars and a photo ID gives them the right to fly through the air like one of the guardian owls of legend!

benjipwns

« Reply #34651 on: July 21, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »
omg

1:59 slow motion focus shifting action shots :dead :dead :dead :dead

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34652 on: July 21, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »
As expected from the most exquisitely designed animated film since Fantasia.
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #34653 on: July 21, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »
Zack Snyder? The guy who directed Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’hoole?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34654 on: July 21, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
Seems like a boring slate of Marvel movies honestly.

Honestly Endgame felt like the end and they should have used that movie to tease something. These things don’t feel like movies to me anymore, episodes in the Marvel saga. Except now we are in the season we’re the cast you liked is mostly gone and the plots you cared about resolved.

Happy to see Tony Leung in an American movie though.

nudemacusers

« Reply #34655 on: July 21, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
So I’m watching Jurassic world for the 1000 time cuz my son has no taste and I swear every time I see something stupid that makes no sense.

This time at around 43 minutes there is a cutaway scene to a river kayaking tour with giant ass dinosaurs chilling riverside. The insurance waivers for this place must be bonkers.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34656 on: July 21, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1152672844825931776

Apparently Snyder is cinematographer on this one too. God blesses us

:rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34657 on: July 21, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Tortured myself with some shitty martial arts action movies this weekend:

American Ninja: Haven't seen this one in forever.  It's even more low-budget and shitty than I remember it being- The main character barely speaks for most of the movie and is devoid of personality.  He looks like he's on some strong shit most of the time and is just starting into space.  The whole story of the setting being on an island country somewhere (Philippines?  Hard to tell.) and there being random ninjas present is so dumb. 

American Ninja 2: Not sure if I ever saw this one before.  Just take the first movie, make it even lower-budget, and repeat the same story.  Only now you get ninjas popping up on the beach! 

American Ninja 3: I remember this one more fondly than the other two...and it's still garbage.  Low-budget again (they even re-used music, lol) and even cheesier than the other two.  The new lead at least had more of a personality.  There's two more of this shitty movies but I dunno if I'm going to bother with them.

Showdown In Little Tokyo: Also can't remember the last time I saw this.  Might have been 20 years!  This is more like it- just good old fashioned late 80s/early 90s cheese full of action and dumb lines.  Dolph Lundgren plays the ultimate weeb.  LOL'd hard at when he put on some weird 'samurai' gear at the end for no reason whatsoever.  This is like a complete masterpiece compared to the American Ninja movies.  Didn't remember Tatsu from the TMNT movies being in this.  :lol
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34658 on: July 21, 2019, 08:45:38 PM »
showdown in little tokyo is a classic and a strong pillar in the temple of lundgren

rip brandon lee  :'(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34659 on: July 21, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Local theater is showing The Matrix, I think I’m gonna have to watch it this week.
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34660 on: July 21, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
i was skimming through netflix and came across showdown in little tokyo thinking i had seen it as a kid and wanted some nostalgia

not a single portion of that film brought back any memories but fucking hell, it was a masterpiece.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34661 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
I just rewatched it.  Not sure it holds up that great.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #34662 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:14 PM »
I just rewatched it.  Not sure it holds up that great.

The Matrix?

I rewatched the whole trilogy back to back around a year ago. I was really disappointed when I first saw Reloaded, but on rewatch I realised I was being a bore and missing what made it great. I think it was mostly an emotional, reactionary response to the tonal whiplash with the first entry. I have have now FREE'D MY MIND, and I was ready to rave in Zion. The film is really well made, with a few parts that detract from the experience. The story is good; what I thought was abstruse and incoherent on first watch is a well told, complex vision. The main detractors are a few fight scenes that drag along, and tasteless use of dated cgi. Where the first used it masterfully in collaboration with practical effects. The third returned to the formal excellence of the first, with a lot more of the abstract elements of the 2nd. Great trilogy all 'round.
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34663 on: July 21, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
The CGI is what I was talking about.  Story-wise its a great movie but as a great action movie less so than I thought 10 yeas ago. 

naff

« Reply #34664 on: July 21, 2019, 11:01:20 PM »
Eh, I don't get that with the first. The lobby is one of the goat's. The second's highway scene is still great, and I love the rave. THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE FIGHTING FOR  :hump Was surprised by how engaging and emotional the 35 minute battle for Zion slapped into the middle of the movie manages to be. The Wachowski sisters :bow2
◕‿◕

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34665 on: July 21, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
Reloaded as definitely better than the trash pile that is Revolution.
dog

naff

« Reply #34666 on: July 21, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
In cinema I've been enjoying, I adored Parasite. Bong slamming us with an emotional powerhouse focussing on class struggle on par with the best from Schrader and Loach. Right up there with other favs like Blue Collar.

Catching a bunch of movies this week, highlights looking like The Farewell, High Life (been holding out to see it at the movies), In Fabric, Monos, Long Day's Journey into Night and The Whistlers.

This looks sick
◕‿◕

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34667 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:26 PM »
Is Booksmart any good? I didn't like Superbad.

benjipwns

« Reply #34668 on: July 21, 2019, 11:31:35 PM »
I've always liked in that quirky twisted way how everything completely slams to a halt at the end of Reloaded so The Architect can explain directly to Neo (and us) another version of the pill metaphor despite everything he (and we) have learned and witnessed over the course of the two films. And the implication made that the subversion involved is ideally exactly inverse and that perhaps that the machines already know what choice he's made and are simply playing a part.

"The Deal" in the third film actually arguably screws this up rather than leave it ever so ambiguous as to what roles everyone, including Smith, was playing. I don't think it actually leaves you with a more resolved feeling for these particular characters despite that being the seeming intent. It tries at basically the last second to pull a clever "it's over, but not really! it never ends!" gambit that it had never setup nor understood the implications of trying to do in what's effectively an epilogue.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34669 on: July 21, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »
All Neo really does is buy more time. If he saves anyone really it's the machines and if anything machines show that they're honorable since they hold up the deal. If animatrix is definitely cannon then Neo's actions are basically just the first decent act on the part of humans in a long history of them doing awful shit to the machines before they rose up.

There was a matrix mmo plot line where you tried to find neo's body or something like that it's been a really long time
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #34670 on: July 21, 2019, 11:39:50 PM »
if you ignore that it doesn't resolve the Smith plotline and some other small details there's a good case that The Animatrix is actually a better concluding chapter in terms of the overall world they've constructed

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34671 on: July 21, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
Thinking of rewatching Pluto Nash
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34672 on: July 21, 2019, 11:56:50 PM »
Only thing that doesn't work for me with the Architect is his disdain for Neo choosing love instead of reboot. Like you just told him that he's not some cool techno-rebel savior but state sanctioned actor. Of course he's just gonna tell you to fuck off and try to save his hacker goth waifu. You can and probably will just create a new zion without his input anyway. Architect gives some reason for why neo's code would contaminate all humans or w/e but bro y'all literally grow humans you can probably figure this out in another iteration.

benjipwns

« Reply #34673 on: July 22, 2019, 12:06:10 AM »
Snyder will get it right in his reboot trilogy

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34674 on: July 22, 2019, 12:14:56 AM »
Don't need Snyder trilogy when he basically covered all the same shit in Sucker Punch

:rollsafe

[close]

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34675 on: July 22, 2019, 12:55:58 AM »
I watched a movie randomly with Linda Blair called Grotesque and it ended up being something I vividly remembered scenes from but had forgotten the title from a childhood USA Up All Night viewing.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34676 on: July 22, 2019, 01:49:00 AM »
I watched Endless. Pretty Lovecrafty. I liked it. Generally I'm cool with any interesting mid budget atmospheric horror movie. 3 Tasty Meats out of 5.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34677 on: July 22, 2019, 01:49:05 AM »
batman hush was  amazing

Dameon giving bats the sex talk :rofl
[close]
Yeah Hush is a story I love, considering where current year Batman is, it's something I love even more in retrospect

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34678 on: July 22, 2019, 01:50:44 AM »
BLADE!

Ali is waaaaaay too good of an actor to play Blade, tells me they're going to do this semi seriously, which sucks to me as a Blade film

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34679 on: July 22, 2019, 01:52:02 AM »
All the marvel movie announcements are cool.
Inverse for me, bunch of shit I cant give a fuck about lol