Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182629 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34680 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:52 AM »
maradona was fucking great. actually preferred it to senna, which was also fucking great.
Got tickets for this weekend. Haven't watched Senna yet, but I did like Amy.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #34681 on: July 22, 2019, 04:22:44 AM »
I watched Endless. Pretty Lovecrafty. I liked it. Generally I'm cool with any interesting mid budget atmospheric horror movie. 3 Tasty Meats out of 5.

Now watch the prequel, Resolution, and have your mind blown by what the Endless did.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34682 on: July 22, 2019, 04:36:42 AM »
There was a prequel? Now I've gotta see that.
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34683 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:48 AM »
maradona was fucking great. actually preferred it to senna, which was also fucking great.
Got tickets for this weekend. Haven't watched Senna yet, but I did like Amy.
Senna is amazing :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #34684 on: July 22, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
Resolution and Endless are preeeety great. A bit of untapped potential still but what's there is still great.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34685 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:23 AM »
Watched Alita.
I thought this was going to be utter shit, but cookie-cutter dialog aside, i actually really enjoyed it...

...but that finale.  :comeon

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34686 on: July 22, 2019, 11:26:29 AM »
Watched Alita.
I thought this was going to be utter shit, but cookie-cutter dialog aside, i actually really enjoyed it...

Yeah, was was a good B-Tier action flick. Kinda miss those.
The action and Alita's movements, were really fun to watch.
Especially those roller-ball segments, reminded me a bit of Speedracer's racing parts.
I also like the world itself, when they go out of the city with those water walls, it looked like something out of a Final Fantasy.

Only read a bit of the manga as a kid, and didn't remember anything tbh, but now i'm sad they won't do a sequel.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34687 on: July 22, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Watched Alita.

Yeah, was was a good B-Tier action flick. Kinda miss those.
The action and Alita's movements, were really fun to watch.
Especially those roller-ball segments, reminded me a bit of Speedracer's racing parts.
I also like the world itself, when they go out of the city with those water walls, it looked like something out of a Final Fantasy.

Only read a bit of the manga as a kid, and didn't remember anything tbh, but now i'm sad they won't do a sequel.

I thought there was a sequel coming.
I just quickly googled, and read about it being a flop, so i assumed it wasn't coming.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #34688 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
Inverse for me, bunch of shit I cant give a fuck about lol

That's how I felt. C-tier, solo Avenger movies don't get me excited. 

Loki is the only one I am looking forward to because Hiddleston is great in the role.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34689 on: July 22, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
I thought there was a sequel coming.

There hasn't been any word of a sequel so far.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34690 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
I haven't been to the theater in years  :-\

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #34691 on: July 22, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Guess who is producing and starring as lead in this movie.

The plot follows Hubie Dubois who, despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts (and its legendary Halloween celebration), is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something really is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween.

His name is not on this list. 
STARRING
Kevin James, Julie Bowen, Maya Rudolph, Ray Liotta, Steve Buscemi, Rob Schneider, Michael Chiklis, Kenan Thompson, Tim Meadows, Colin Quinn, June Squibb, Shaquille O’Neal, Noah Schnapp, Mikey Day, Melissa Villaseñor, Kym Whitley, Betsy Sodaro, George Wallace, China Anne McClain, Paris Berelc, Karan Barr, Lavell Crawford, Blake Clark

sigh

bluemax

« Reply #34692 on: July 23, 2019, 01:29:35 AM »
Guess who is producing and starring as lead in this movie.

The plot follows Hubie Dubois who, despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem, Massachusetts (and its legendary Halloween celebration), is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something really is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween.

His name is not on this list.
STARRING
Kevin James, Julie Bowen, Maya Rudolph, Ray Liotta, Steve Buscemi, Rob Schneider, Michael Chiklis, Kenan Thompson, Tim Meadows, Colin Quinn, June Squibb, Shaquille O’Neal, Noah Schnapp, Mikey Day, Melissa Villaseñor, Kym Whitley, Betsy Sodaro, George Wallace, China Anne McClain, Paris Berelc, Karan Barr, Lavell Crawford, Blake Clark

Adam Sandler?
NO

clothedmacuser

« Reply #34693 on: July 23, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
Yes.  The real question is if it will be called "Hubie Saves Halloween," or not.
sigh

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34694 on: July 23, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:15:27 PM by D3RANG3D »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34695 on: July 23, 2019, 06:45:54 PM »
Happy to see he isn't spending all his time doing Marvel stuff at least.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34696 on: July 24, 2019, 03:33:17 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #34697 on: July 24, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »
Saw Lion King on a date. The nailed the funny bits with Pumba and Timon and there were some nice looking scenes from an art direction standpoint, but the dramatic scenes of which The Lion King has a handful "Long Live the King", final battle, etc... it lacks the impact because it's honestly just not that well directed. I don't think this is an issue of the visual design or lions not having balls or anything, I just think the epic scenes weren't directed with epicness and so they lack the impact.

I actually liked most of the new VAs and the songs were pretty good even if the originals were better (especially Elton John's circle of life which you just can't beat).

I've never seen any of the other Disney live-action/CG remakes because I don't see the point in watching a 1:1 remake when you can just watch the original which is great and yeah, that was my expectation going in and it's my feeling going out. Like I think they should've just done their own story with the remake. Take the overall concept points and just make a re-imagining with a new story and new songs and stuff. At least that would bring something new to the table. All this does is make me want to re-watch The Lion King original and see if it still holds up or I'm putting it too high in my memories from last time I watched it probably 15 years ago.

Also man, this movie is making fucking bank. A half-week old on a weeknight and every showing was sold out in my city basically and I just barely got the last two seats. Crazy, guess everyone loves The Lion King. I mean they did make a musical out of it and can't think of any other Disney animated film that got that?

Anyhow, got tickets to opening night for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on Thu. Pretty stoked. Still one of my favorite directors. Love every film of his except Kill Bill. Jackie Brown all day for me and Hateful Eight was fantastic.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 03:42:52 AM by Bebpo »

Tasty

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34699 on: July 24, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
Swamp Thing

This movie is so 80's, I'm surprised it wasn't released by Cannon. It has a very Golan-Globus quality to it. It's not exactly Nightmare on Elm Street, but I dig these campy old comic book movies. I just wish Shout Factory had included the International Cut of the movie that featured Adrienne Barbeau's barbeaus*. Even though Wes Craven said that he prefers the US theatrical cut and he only had the random strippers in the movie because Dino De Laurentiis made him, still....you know....for completion's sake.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still own an uncorrected copy on DVD from when MGM accidentally released it. :expert
[close]

I just remembered Sam Raimi said Dino De Laurentiis made him include random strippers in Army of Darkness too. :lol The guy knew what he liked, and it was random strippers. Raimi just kinda stuck them in the bottom corner of a scene for half a second.
[close]
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #34700 on: July 24, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Watched Men In Black International. While it's not brilliant, I thought it was better than the 22% it got on RottenTomatoes. Why I tend to go by the audience score rather than the critic score.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34701 on: July 24, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »
I watched uit a few days ago.  It's not bad just forgettable.  I enjoyed the 2 hours though. 

Leadbelly

« Reply #34702 on: July 24, 2019, 11:59:53 PM »
Pretty much. It's the sort of movie that you watch when you're bored, and don't don't think too much about it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34703 on: July 25, 2019, 01:57:55 AM »
I get bored too but never that bored. The fuck is wrong with you people.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #34704 on: July 25, 2019, 08:11:47 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #34705 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:11 AM »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Grinning ear to ear after this one. Quality film there, go see it. I'll talk about it more after more people have seen it. It's one of those genuinely good films that you don't really want to know anything about and just go in and enjoy some quality cinema.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34706 on: July 26, 2019, 04:31:12 AM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #34707 on: July 26, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »

Grinning ear to ear after this one. Quality film there, go see it. I'll talk about it more after more people have seen it. It's one of those genuinely good films that you don't really want to know anything about and just go in and enjoy some quality cinema.

Is it more like Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown or Inglorious Bastards/Django? I’ve been yearning for a 90s Tarantino revival.

Nuitangg

« Reply #34708 on: July 26, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Alita and Aquaman looked incredible in 4k.  As for the movies  :kobeyuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34709 on: July 26, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
You shit on Aquaman and I'll shit on your face. 

Bebpo

« Reply #34710 on: July 26, 2019, 02:44:53 PM »

Is it more like Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown or Inglorious Bastards/Django? I’ve been yearning for a 90s Tarantino revival.

It’s not really like any of those, but if those are two opposite ends of a spectrum, maybe somewhere in the middle? I feel like Tarantino’s done a good job making each movie different and unique.

EightBitNate

« Reply #34711 on: July 26, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »

It’s not really like any of those, but if those are two opposite ends of a spectrum, maybe somewhere in the middle? I feel like Tarantino’s done a good job making each movie different and unique.

Ok well that’s interesting. I was kinda over his alt-history stuff.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34712 on: July 26, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »

Light the TVC signal
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34713 on: July 26, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »
don't ever talk bad about battle waifu alita, bitch!

Nuitangg

« Reply #34714 on: July 26, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »
 :fbm

Nuitangg

« Reply #34715 on: July 26, 2019, 04:30:48 PM »
   :mouf

Shuri

« Reply #34716 on: July 26, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
Once Upon a time in Hollywood.. 7/10

edit: Bepbo's review is better, ignore mine. I wrote this while cooking alive from the heat

It was a bit of a letdown but for odd reasons.

I'm going to rewatch the movie eventually and I'll do a proper re-review.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:08:52 AM by Shuri »

Bebpo

« Reply #34717 on: July 26, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »
Wow, disagree completely. It's not the best paced film he's done and he could've tightened it up a bit on the editing, but there's only one scene I'd cut in the entire movie.

The scene with Polanski throwing a ball to his dog while reading. Which added basically nothing.
[close]

Every other scene, while maybe not necessary, was a great scene and glad to have it in there. Bruce Lee stuff was fantastic. I feel like if any stuff is a letdown it's because you probably went in with expectations about those aspects. The ending was fantastic too.

The movie is only about 2 people, everyone else is just stage dressing, including Bruce Lee. It's only a letdown if you expected more. I mean they have Charles Manson and he's only in 1 scene that's in the trailer!

The entire movie constantly subverts expectations and keeps you guessing. Like for example, you completely expect Bruce Lee to destroy some TV cowboy's stunt double and the first hit goes along with expectations, but then the second and third happen because the movie is a fantasy fairy tale version of a time and place.
[close]

Pretty much a 10/10 for me and this Endgame and Booksmart are the best films I've seen all year. It's the most restrained and least Tarantino film he's made (but still Tarantino enough) and the closest he's come to actually pulling off a vintage-era film. Initially I'd put it somewhere in the middle of the rankings of Tarantino film but the more I think about it the more I think it's gonna end up towards the top over time. Actually might be the first movie in a few years I go see again in the theater.

Bebpo

« Reply #34718 on: July 26, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Also on the ending stuff

I think you're really misreading the way the movie works Shuri. The point of the acid joint was to be a red herring. Normally at 100% Cliff, Cliff would have easily taken down those 3 kids. But because of the joint the audience thinks "oh no, he's going to be weakened and get killed by the manson kids", so when he doesn't and he steal beats them despite that it's a roaring victory that's both surprising and satisfying.

The entire film is filled with red herrings leading you to think it's going one way but then it keeps surprising you and subverting your expectations.
[close]

That's all fantastic design.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34719 on: July 26, 2019, 07:33:49 PM »
Fetish indulgence, is the sign of true art, you peons.
I still hate most of Tarantino's movies, but that's beside the point.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34720 on: July 26, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
Fetish indulgence?  Lots of feet in this one?

Bebpo

« Reply #34721 on: July 26, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
I don't think he actually has a foot fetish fwiw. It came up years ago and he denied it and basically indicated that since it was a laugh, as an inside joke he throws bare feet into all of his movies to fuck with people. It's definitely overdone to the point where it comes off as a joke to me.

Fetish indulgence?  Lots of feet in this one?

If you look for it, yeah. I think your average person whose not aware of it won't even notice/think about some bare feet.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34722 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
I don't think he actually has a foot fetish fwiw.
:doge

Shuri

« Reply #34723 on: July 26, 2019, 09:00:13 PM »
Bepbo, excellent points.

I'm going to have to give the movie a second rewatch when it comes out on bluray

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34724 on: July 26, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
I don't think he actually has a foot fetish fwiw.

serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34725 on: July 26, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
Dude sucked on Jeniffer Garner's feet in an Alias episode.  I was mad jelly at 13.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34726 on: July 27, 2019, 12:53:53 AM »
One day you’ll find your own Jennifer Garner to pour hot sauce on her toes for you.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #34727 on: July 27, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »
Anyhow, been a busy day, was snappier than I meant to be earlier. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood definitely isn't perfect and his its own flaws,

mostly, yeah the pacing. It lacks the chapter format of a lot of his other works that gives them a more tied together arc by arc structure. I feel like for the first half of the movie if you didn't tell me it was a Tarantino film, it might've taken me a few guesses. There's a very distinctive lack of style in some of the scenes. So many scenes have no music at all, no goofy snappy dialogue back and forth, no catchphrases, it's just like...drama, people talking to people, talking almost pretty normal. One scene ends and the other begins.

But I think that's purposeful in that Tarantino is showing a lot of restraint from his usual Tarantino-isms in an effort to make a more mature piece that feels stepped right out of the 60s era. I remember when I saw Hateful Eight I felt Tarantino had kinda calmed down a bit and it was a move towards a more classy maturity in filmmaking than snappy Clerk-isms. I feel like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood continues that growth as an older and more serious filmmaker.

That being said I feel like the second half has more Tarantino-isms and the ending pretty much jumps back into a 100% old-school Tarantino film. The conversation between the Manson kids in their car after Rick Dalton (with the hilarious blender drinking) yells at them and they're sitting in the car and it's cutting between them as it gets more and more goofy is super old-school Tarantino. The whole ending action scene for sure too. So he's not abandoning his style, but he's generally restraining it to save it for when it counts and I think that's a good thing. Like I mentioned on the last page I feel like every film Tarantino's made has been unique and I like that he's continually growing as a filmmaker.

Speaking of restraint, this is also probably the least violent, least fucked up, least cursing, etc... most happy & wholesome film he's made. In the end the story is about this horrible awful even that really happened and had a major impact on Hollywood and these people's lives at the end of the 60's and so he tells a fairy tale of a "What if..." about a fictional actor out on his luck, a "washed up" has-been as he Dalton says who gets wrapped up in the manson killings story and diverts it and instead of this horrible awful thing happening, what if it all had a happy ending and instead of the manson killings murdering Sharon Tate and her friends, it saves Dalton's career and strengthens his friends, his marriage, and is the catalyst for something good instead? Wouldn't that be a nice fairly tale story for all the older Hollywood types who lived through that in the day.

As I mentioned, since this is a character development piece about Dalton (and Cliff too, but Cliff, although awesome and probably one of Pitt's best roles/performances, is not the main character of this story), a lot of the scenes exist just to show Dalton's life. All the cowboy acting stuff is a lot, but that's his life, his career falling apart, himself as an alcoholic, his struggles to try to stay relevant as he ages. Di Caprio gives an fantastic performance showing all the aspects of Dalton. The way he stutters and lacks confidence when talking to people like Pacino's character. His conversations with the little girl. He's the opposite of the dashing star actor, he's incredibly flawed, but he's also trying and just trying to get through life which leads him to commercials, Italian movies, and planning to sell his house and downscale into a condo. In the end he gets a fairy tale ending. Hell, he even gets to be a hero and use a flamethrower (which was fucking hilarious).

Through the movie there are tons and tons of little touches, even little stuff like in the credits when it lists "The Gang" aka the Tarantino regulars like Michael Madson, if you look it says Tim Roth.....(cut). The way when Mrs. Robinson is playing on the radio, once it's about to cut to the chorus everyone knows the scene cuts away (if he kept doing this it'd be annoying like Godzilla 2014's cuts, but doing it once was just cute), all the red herring stuff I talked about earlier, the acid cigarette, the bruce lee fight, even all the sharon tate stuff is essentially a red herring.

One scene for example I really liked is when they bring up did Cliff kill his wife they cut to a flashback on a boat and it cuts away at the point where he could've just pulled the trigger and shot her...or maybe that's not what happened and he wasn't responsible for her death. It's really clever that the film doesn't tell us because telling us either way would color the audience's view of Cliff. For the rest of the movie as the audience is watching, he'll either be the guy that killed his wife and got away with it, or the innocent man who was unjustly framed and treated by everyone as a wife-killer. Instead Tarantino is saying, judge Cliff by who Cliff is in this movie and come to your own conclusions.

Now one of the flaws besides pacing I'm on board with is Sharon Tate's character. While everyone else in the movie gets like one scene because they're all just side characters in the journey of Dalton's life, Sharon Tate gets a lot of scenes. Margot Robbie does a great job with her performance, and while as I said, Tate's character really exists mainly to throw the audience off and create this perfectly perfect person who is the greatest tragedy when they are violently and horrible murdered, Tarantino still should've given her more development. There was a bit there when she goes to pick up the book and shows that she's well read and intelligent, but then the rest of it seems like her just kind of going along and being nice. Her at the theater seeing how people react to herself in the Wrecking Crew and enjoying the reactions, she listens to music and dances and is nice to everyone even when they are basically degrading her "stand next to that poster so people will know who you are" or in the restaurant and feeling awful but having to keep up appearances. There's definitely some development of a character there, but Tarantino should've taken some steps further and made her more of a person. Or maybe that's just a criticism he's making on the time period that women, even famous actress who are smart and good people had to just put up with everything and smile because women didn't have more say/power than that at the time in Hollywood.

Still, the surprises and way the film subverts expectations and keeps you guessing is great. My favorite scene and I honestly feel the best scene in the entire movie is when Cliff goes to the ranch where the Manson family commune is staying. When Cliff decides he's going to go check on Ernest despite protests, the tension gets insanely good. I honestly haven't seen a scene that intense since I first saw Ti West's House of the Devil. It's tense because even though we're only halfway or 2/3rds through the film, the audience is thinking "oh shit, is Tarantino going to kill Cliff off right now??" and this because Tarantino's earned this with his unpredictability and killing off characters on a moment in past films. Other directors the tension wouldn't be there because you'd assume Cliff wouldn't just suddenly drop out of the movie. But Tarantino? Yeah, that is totally plausible. So the way that whole lengthy and drawn out sequence plays is impeccable because every minute is more and more tense. It's like a classic western standoff, is someone going to die?
[close]

So in the end, I wrote a lot on this, but it's been a while since I've seen a movie that is so packed and fun to digest. Is it flawed and could Tarantino have put together a tighter cut with some better character development? Sure. But we live in an imperfect world and when a movie's this good and interesting I'm happy enjoying all that's there rather than pick on the few things it's missing. It goes without saying that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a love letter to an era of Hollywood, it's a neat story set on a nostaglia rose-tinted fairy tale glasses stage. It shows a grown up Tarantino that's willing to restrain his edginess to create something different and something great. Even if I don't consider this his best film, I think Tarantino's only getting better and better as a writer and filmmaker every feature. Even if irl he's a weird foot kissing douchey guy, weird fucking people often make the best art, so hopefully he'll keep making fun films for film nerds for the rest of his life despite his silly 10 film career comment.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #34728 on: July 27, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
Diego Maradona.

:respect :delicious :preach :mynicca :bow

Great film about the one true GOAT.
Spud

EightBitNate

« Reply #34729 on: July 27, 2019, 11:08:05 PM »
Only make 10 films and give up his only reason for getting high quality footage of actress feet? I don’t think so.

clothedmacuser

« Reply #34730 on: July 27, 2019, 11:40:01 PM »
Swamp Thing

This movie is so 80's, I'm surprised it wasn't released by Cannon. It has a very Golan-Globus quality to it. It's not exactly Nightmare on Elm Street, but I dig these campy old comic book movies. I just wish Shout Factory had included the International Cut of the movie that featured Adrienne Barbeau's barbeaus*. Even though Wes Craven said that he prefers the US theatrical cut and he only had the random strippers in the movie because Dino De Laurentiis made him, still....you know....for completion's sake.

I still own an uncorrected copy on DVD from when MGM accidentally released it. :expert
[close]

I just remembered Sam Raimi said Dino De Laurentiis made him include random strippers in Army of Darkness too. :lol The guy knew what he liked, and it was random strippers. Raimi just kinda stuck them in the bottom corner of a scene for half a second.
[close]

That movie used to play all the time on Encore!  I was actually kind of confused watching Darkman and Phantom of the Opera because they all seemed like the same plot.

Crawl

The first 40 minutes set up a really tightly wound and simple plot but after that it lets you down.  It's like they changed directors.  The threat of the alligators also changes in the last third.  They start deadly and then become dumb.

It's a bad jump-scare version of this movie.

The Shallows is as tightly wound as Kellyanne Conway and just as . . .    I can't think of a compliment for that women.  It's a great movie that I would put up there with Die Hard in terms of use of space and threats.
sigh

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #34731 on: July 27, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
Her ass is making my pants tightly wound.
每天生气

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #34732 on: July 28, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
Just finished watching Tarkovsky's 'Nostalghia' and I wish to self immolate in the eyes of the unfaithful. This film is everything to me right now.
:9

TVC15

« Reply #34733 on: July 28, 2019, 01:10:40 AM »
Anyhow, been a busy day, was snappier than I meant to be earlier. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood definitely isn't perfect and his its own flaws,

mostly, yeah the pacing. It lacks the chapter format of a lot of his other works that gives them a more tied together arc by arc structure. I feel like for the first half of the movie if you didn't tell me it was a Tarantino film, it might've taken me a few guesses. There's a very distinctive lack of style in some of the scenes. So many scenes have no music at all, no goofy snappy dialogue back and forth, no catchphrases, it's just like...drama, people talking to people, talking almost pretty normal. One scene ends and the other begins.

But I think that's purposeful in that Tarantino is showing a lot of restraint from his usual Tarantino-isms in an effort to make a more mature piece that feels stepped right out of the 60s era. I remember when I saw Hateful Eight I felt Tarantino had kinda calmed down a bit and it was a move towards a more classy maturity in filmmaking than snappy Clerk-isms. I feel like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood continues that growth as an older and more serious filmmaker.

That being said I feel like the second half has more Tarantino-isms and the ending pretty much jumps back into a 100% old-school Tarantino film. The conversation between the Manson kids in their car after Rick Dalton (with the hilarious blender drinking) yells at them and they're sitting in the car and it's cutting between them as it gets more and more goofy is super old-school Tarantino. The whole ending action scene for sure too. So he's not abandoning his style, but he's generally restraining it to save it for when it counts and I think that's a good thing. Like I mentioned on the last page I feel like every film Tarantino's made has been unique and I like that he's continually growing as a filmmaker.

Speaking of restraint, this is also probably the least violent, least fucked up, least cursing, etc... most happy & wholesome film he's made. In the end the story is about this horrible awful even that really happened and had a major impact on Hollywood and these people's lives at the end of the 60's and so he tells a fairy tale of a "What if..." about a fictional actor out on his luck, a "washed up" has-been as he Dalton says who gets wrapped up in the manson killings story and diverts it and instead of this horrible awful thing happening, what if it all had a happy ending and instead of the manson killings murdering Sharon Tate and her friends, it saves Dalton's career and strengthens his friends, his marriage, and is the catalyst for something good instead? Wouldn't that be a nice fairly tale story for all the older Hollywood types who lived through that in the day.

As I mentioned, since this is a character development piece about Dalton (and Cliff too, but Cliff, although awesome and probably one of Pitt's best roles/performances, is not the main character of this story), a lot of the scenes exist just to show Dalton's life. All the cowboy acting stuff is a lot, but that's his life, his career falling apart, himself as an alcoholic, his struggles to try to stay relevant as he ages. Di Caprio gives an fantastic performance showing all the aspects of Dalton. The way he stutters and lacks confidence when talking to people like Pacino's character. His conversations with the little girl. He's the opposite of the dashing star actor, he's incredibly flawed, but he's also trying and just trying to get through life which leads him to commercials, Italian movies, and planning to sell his house and downscale into a condo. In the end he gets a fairy tale ending. Hell, he even gets to be a hero and use a flamethrower (which was fucking hilarious).

Through the movie there are tons and tons of little touches, even little stuff like in the credits when it lists "The Gang" aka the Tarantino regulars like Michael Madson, if you look it says Tim Roth.....(cut). The way when Mrs. Robinson is playing on the radio, once it's about to cut to the chorus everyone knows the scene cuts away (if he kept doing this it'd be annoying like Godzilla 2014's cuts, but doing it once was just cute), all the red herring stuff I talked about earlier, the acid cigarette, the bruce lee fight, even all the sharon tate stuff is essentially a red herring.

One scene for example I really liked is when they bring up did Cliff kill his wife they cut to a flashback on a boat and it cuts away at the point where he could've just pulled the trigger and shot her...or maybe that's not what happened and he wasn't responsible for her death. It's really clever that the film doesn't tell us because telling us either way would color the audience's view of Cliff. For the rest of the movie as the audience is watching, he'll either be the guy that killed his wife and got away with it, or the innocent man who was unjustly framed and treated by everyone as a wife-killer. Instead Tarantino is saying, judge Cliff by who Cliff is in this movie and come to your own conclusions.

Now one of the flaws besides pacing I'm on board with is Sharon Tate's character. While everyone else in the movie gets like one scene because they're all just side characters in the journey of Dalton's life, Sharon Tate gets a lot of scenes. Margot Robbie does a great job with her performance, and while as I said, Tate's character really exists mainly to throw the audience off and create this perfectly perfect person who is the greatest tragedy when they are violently and horrible murdered, Tarantino still should've given her more development. There was a bit there when she goes to pick up the book and shows that she's well read and intelligent, but then the rest of it seems like her just kind of going along and being nice. Her at the theater seeing how people react to herself in the Wrecking Crew and enjoying the reactions, she listens to music and dances and is nice to everyone even when they are basically degrading her "stand next to that poster so people will know who you are" or in the restaurant and feeling awful but having to keep up appearances. There's definitely some development of a character there, but Tarantino should've taken some steps further and made her more of a person. Or maybe that's just a criticism he's making on the time period that women, even famous actress who are smart and good people had to just put up with everything and smile because women didn't have more say/power than that at the time in Hollywood.

Still, the surprises and way the film subverts expectations and keeps you guessing is great. My favorite scene and I honestly feel the best scene in the entire movie is when Cliff goes to the ranch where the Manson family commune is staying. When Cliff decides he's going to go check on Ernest despite protests, the tension gets insanely good. I honestly haven't seen a scene that intense since I first saw Ti West's House of the Devil. It's tense because even though we're only halfway or 2/3rds through the film, the audience is thinking "oh shit, is Tarantino going to kill Cliff off right now??" and this because Tarantino's earned this with his unpredictability and killing off characters on a moment in past films. Other directors the tension wouldn't be there because you'd assume Cliff wouldn't just suddenly drop out of the movie. But Tarantino? Yeah, that is totally plausible. So the way that whole lengthy and drawn out sequence plays is impeccable because every minute is more and more tense. It's like a classic western standoff, is someone going to die?
[close]

So in the end, I wrote a lot on this, but it's been a while since I've seen a movie that is so packed and fun to digest. Is it flawed and could Tarantino have put together a tighter cut with some better character development? Sure. But we live in an imperfect world and when a movie's this good and interesting I'm happy enjoying all that's there rather than pick on the few things it's missing. It goes without saying that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a love letter to an era of Hollywood, it's a neat story set on a nostaglia rose-tinted fairy tale glasses stage. It shows a grown up Tarantino that's willing to restrain his edginess to create something different and something great. Even if I don't consider this his best film, I think Tarantino's only getting better and better as a writer and filmmaker every feature. Even if irl he's a weird foot kissing douchey guy, weird fucking people often make the best art, so hopefully he'll keep making fun films for film nerds for the rest of his life despite his silly 10 film career comment.

I think the reason Tate’s character gets little development is

because she’s a mythic Hollywood figure and Tarantino wanted her to be as ineffable as something out of a fairy tale that begins with “once upon a time.” She even gets her happy ending.
[close]
[close]
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34734 on: July 28, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »
recent pickups

It's been a hot minute since I've seen 12 Monkeys, I'm looking forward to watching it again.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34735 on: July 28, 2019, 03:50:56 PM »
Godzilla was super dumb.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34736 on: July 28, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
I guess I liked the part where the girl from Stanger Things destroyed Boston.  Paddy scum deserve it. 

Tasty

« Reply #34737 on: July 28, 2019, 06:17:35 PM »
Lucky Star, didn't know Joe was :uguu

Is Full Metal Panic good?

Bebpo

« Reply #34738 on: July 28, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
Fumoffu is a comedy spinoff which was funny for early 00s comedy anime at the time. It's a one joke comic exaggerated concept of a child soldier raised in military & warzones their whole life has to blend in and act like a high schooler and has no social skills at and processes everything like he would in a war zone. The main series is just an ok mecha show. The mech designs are good though, especially the latter era stuff from the novels that's just been getting animated recently.

TVC15

« Reply #34739 on: July 28, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
I’m still processing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It’s such a departure from Tarantino’s usual style in a few ways that it’s difficult to place amongst his films. First impulse is that I think it’s better than Hateful Eight, but that’s about it. (I liked H8 with reservations.)  It is felt like OUATIH had a bunch of good ideas, but they just didn’t mesh so smoothly.

One thing I am sure of is that I hated how the extended cast was used. Tarantino is known for having these great ensemble casts, and he has one here, he just doesn’t use it at all, although the marketing would have you believe differently. At least Bruce Dern made the most of his 30 seconds.

The soundtrack was also a letdown. I thought QT would kill it on this, but he mostly sticks to 60s standards and often very obvious picks at that. I don’t think I picked up a single new ear worm from this one.

I might have more thoughts later. I’m prob seeing it again this week.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:17:30 PM by TVC 15 »
serge