Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140808 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34920 on: August 13, 2019, 04:10:23 PM »
....is the 20th Century Fox fanfare dead and berried? :goty

Not yet, but you'll certainly be hearing it less and less...

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #34921 on: August 13, 2019, 11:40:55 PM »

New Eddie Murphy movie  :ohyeah

Netflix movie  :nope

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34922 on: August 14, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »
Went to see Hobbs and Shaw.,

This was a fun movie. I have no clue why they made it but I'm glad they did. The Rock and Statham are such an 'odd' couple that their rivalry on screen works pretty well.
Also nice to see Vanessa Kirby in yet another action film after Mission Impossible. She does these pretty well so hopefully she sticks around in F&F and future MI installments.

The movie is aware that is just an action-comedy flick and doesn't pretend to be smarter than that so it is fun to watch throughout.
I was unaware that Ryan Reynolds has also joined the F&F cinematic universe but if this is a taste, he's a great addition to the group.

I wonder if it does well enough for a sequel or if they're just going to mix these new elements into F&F instead.
In any case a fun watch although not necessarily something you need to go see in cinema.

They did make surprisingly good use of 3D effects though, something that is usually just tacked on was utilized to the fullest with floating UI elements of Elba's visor.
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #34923 on: August 14, 2019, 09:09:16 PM »
lmao. so keen on john wick 4: the matrix.
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34924 on: August 14, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
Gremlins is such a ridiculous movie. 

Tasty

« Reply #34925 on: August 14, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »
lmao. so keen on john wick 4: the matrix.

Was gonna post this exact same thing. :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34926 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:18 PM »
:fbm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34927 on: August 14, 2019, 10:36:46 PM »
John Matrix: Reloaded
©@©™

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #34928 on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:34 AM »
Wick 3 was cool but I ultimately found it filler and the worst of the 3 thus far. John ended up pretty much in the same position he was when the movie started.

Still in for 4 day one though  :trumps

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #34929 on: August 16, 2019, 06:16:47 AM »
watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, really enjoyed it, Will post spoilers marked as such

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loved that it captured the time and had a lot of stories between just different classes of Hollywood, the struggling actor, the legendary status and then the inbetween. Both Leo and Brad did a really great job with their roles, I however found the Charlie Mason stuff pretty weak, it I was expecting a lot more as throughout production it was hyped to be a lot more about him and his camp. But the way it ends essentially if you don't know much about the story then you will be really confused at the last 20 mins.
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34930 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:54 AM »
watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, really enjoyed it, Will post spoilers marked as such

I loved that it captured the time and had a lot of stories between just different classes of Hollywood, the struggling actor, the legendary status and then the inbetween. Both Leo and Brad did a really great job with their roles, I however found the Charlie Mason stuff pretty weak, it I was expecting a lot more as throughout production it was hyped to be a lot more about him and his camp. But the way it ends essentially if you don't know much about the story then you will be really confused at the last 20 mins.
[close]

Maybe Inglourious Basterds was confusing for people who didn't know anything about Hitler

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #34931 on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »

[close]
Was that really the hype? Because pretty much everything I read said that the Manson stuff was not going to be the main focus. I'm pretty sure Tarantino said that when he first started talking about the movie too.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #34932 on: August 16, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »
Gotcha. Guess I got in on the hype late when more details had come out.

Tasty

« Reply #34933 on: August 16, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
Deadline reports Colman Domingo and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett have joined the cast of the“spiritual sequel” to Candyman in undisclosed roles.

"Spiritual sequel" to me means "soft reboot"... interesting way to go, but hopefully they get the great Tony Todd.

Tasty

« Reply #34934 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »
Just finished up Good Time and thought it was pretty good. Don't really have much to say as it executes on what it's doing pretty damn well but it didn't end up interesting me as much as I thought after the initial twenty minutes. I also have a problem with extreme close ups as I find them too jarring.

Great cast though, and handles escalation pretty well.

I was mildly positive on it as well. I need to check out the Safdie bros' other flicks.

Tasty

« Reply #34935 on: August 16, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/amp/x-men/dark_phoenix/dark-phoenix-concept-art-features-a-fiery-jean-grey-alternate-skrull-designs-and-plenty-of-spaceships-a170032

Look at all the cool alien shit we could have gotten.  :-\

And I don't hate the finished look, but the concept art's more Pheonix-y... Phoenix may have been appropriate, for a movie called "Dark Phoenix."

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #34936 on: August 16, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/cra2zb/an_original_storyboard_from_the_terminator_by_jim/

Arnold posted an original Terminator storyboard created by James Cameron. How cool is that?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #34937 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:35 PM »
When I rewatched it, I realized how important George Carlin was in keeping it from being a big, steaming pile of garbage.  The same effect Bill Murray had on Ghostbusters.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #34938 on: August 17, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »
Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus was way funnier than it had any right to be. Reminded me of early 2000s cartoons but somehow didn’t feel dated.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34939 on: August 17, 2019, 06:35:35 PM »
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was a cinematic masterpiece  :delicious
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #34940 on: August 20, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »

I was just thinking it's time for a good
Wendigo
[close]
movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #34941 on: August 20, 2019, 03:53:34 PM »
Bummed the reviews for the new Linklater flick are pretty poor. I usually really enjoy Linklater and the cast was good and trailers looked quirky.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #34943 on: August 20, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

Spiderman out of the MCU?
___

Bebpo

« Reply #34944 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
Wow, that’s fucked up. Sony basically trying to hold them hostage since Sony knows Marvel is positioning Spider-Man to be a major lead in Phase 4. And Marvel doesn’t want to play ball and keep making huge blockbusters for Sony without getting any %

Sony really should give them some minor % of sales considering that without Marvel, Sony won’t make much on Spider-Man anyhow.

But who knows without the details. Maybe Marvel wanted 50% or something and wouldn’t back down.

Tasty

« Reply #34945 on: August 20, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

Yep.

Tobey coming back when? :jeb

EightBitNate

« Reply #34946 on: August 20, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
It’s going to be so fun watching them try to explain why Spider-Man/the rest of the MCU is no longer around, narratively.

Tasty

« Reply #34947 on: August 20, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
Wow, that’s fucked up. Sony basically trying to hold them hostage since Sony knows Marvel is positioning Spider-Man to be a major lead in Phase 4. And Marvel doesn’t want to play ball and keep making huge blockbusters for Sony without getting any %

Sony really should give them some minor % of sales considering that without Marvel, Sony won’t make much on Spider-Man anyhow.

But who knows without the details. Maybe Marvel wanted 50% or something and wouldn’t back down.

Reading through the original Sony leaked emails, it really felt like it was Disney who were bending over backwards for Sony. I mean, the deal as it exists is basically: it's Sony's money, it's Sony's marketing, it's Sony's movie, and Sony can still do whatever they want with the IP (Venom, Venom 2, Mobius the Living Vampire... all non-MCU.) Marvel Studios is only there to actually do the "make a movie" part (because at least Sony acknowledges they fucked up ASM on pretty much every level.)

Marvel wanted a better deal this time (sharing the production budget steals a lot of power from Sony), and probably thought they could get it, cause I mean:

Amazing Spider-Man 1 + 2               $400-523 mil combined budget           $1.46 billion gross
Homecoming + Far From Home        $335 mil combined budget                  $1.99 billion gross

Tasty

« Reply #34948 on: August 20, 2019, 05:34:01 PM »
It’s going to be so fun watching them try to explain why Spider-Man/the rest of the MCU is no longer around, narratively.

Feige's honed the art of selectively ignoring characters for years thanks to Perlmutter's Marvel TV empire.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34949 on: August 20, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1163906114984894464

Hopefully they retcon Matrix 2 and 3.  :doge
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #34950 on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:23 PM »
Hits just keep coming.

"In No Time To Die, Bond has left active service and is enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology," according to the plot synopsis from MGM.

...Bond's gonna fucking die.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34951 on: August 20, 2019, 05:48:56 PM »
I haven't cried like this since my grandpa died.  It really feels like a loss, you know?  I imagine this is how children feel in a divorce. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34952 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:37 PM »
I wouldn't put the nail in the MCU Spiderman coffin just yet;  that could be a purposeful leak by either/both sides to see what happens.  Not like they can't go back and renegotiate.

True, but next spidy movie is less than 2 years out.  This seems pretty late to still be playing ball.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34953 on: August 20, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
I haven't cried like this since my grandpa died.  It really feels like a loss, you know?  I imagine this is how children feel in a divorce.
No i was ecstatic when my parents divorced.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34954 on: August 20, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
Yes, but I also image your parents weren't as great as my mommy-marvel and daddy-sony were.  At least, I never saw them fighting.  I didn't even suspect something was wrong.  Just came home from school and had to read about it in the papers. 

Tasty

« Reply #34955 on: August 20, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »
In the span of a few years Spidey showed up in three team up movies, had two standalone flicks, and an animated movie with it's own cool ass style. That's kinda enough tbh.

Plus while Sony can fuck this up easily but if they stick to the same director and some of the writers it can't turn out to be thaaaaat bad for a third flick. Just a lot less MCU cameos (which is honestly a bonus).

Sony is clueless when picking directors. And they're not gonna stick with Feige's crew (Watts, McKenna, and Sommers.)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34957 on: August 20, 2019, 06:04:18 PM »
Disney gave Spider-Man the MCU boost. Literally transitioned the lead of their cinematic universe from Iron-Man to Spider-Man and then expected to strong-arm Sony on profits and margins.  :derp
Outside of cutting out comic movie god Kevin Feige there was no downside in giving Disney the finger. They can just hire the same actors, writers and directors.

What the fuck were they thinking. Those books must be pretty damn cooked if Disney is this desperate for money that they didn't table a better deal.
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34958 on: August 20, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
I don't think that means Spiderman is out of the MCU, it just means Feige won't be the producer of Spiderman movies.

Sony has the movie rights to Spoder-Man. If Disney wants him in their movies, they gotta deal with Sony.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34959 on: August 20, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »

Yep.

Tobey coming back when? :jeb

Raimi coming back when? :jeb :jeb
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34960 on: August 20, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34961 on: August 20, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »

EightBitNate

« Reply #34962 on: August 20, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
Well Trump just won my vote. Hope you’re happy, Sony.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34964 on: August 20, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »
Disney:

Sony:
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34965 on: August 20, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

I needn't tell you r/raimimemes is on fire, lol.

Dickie Dee

___

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #34968 on: August 21, 2019, 05:41:44 AM »
can't disney just put some other cool young dude in spandex and shoot off one liners? have them grow up in a refugee camp or something so anyone who prefers the privledged surburban spiderman is immediately outed as a bigot.

their characters have all essentially morphed into the same person anyway.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:46:48 AM by headwalk »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34969 on: August 21, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
Just do like 8-Legged Kid or something.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34971 on: August 21, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
dog

Tasty

« Reply #34972 on: August 21, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »
LMAO

https://twitter.com/Renner4Real/status/1163998333934813184

You'll get your Spider-Man when you FIX THIS DAMN DOOR

Jeremy Renner is good boy. He must be in some kind of trouble.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34973 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
Eh I like the MCU Spider-man movies and him being in the MCU. At this point I see no creative reason to have him separate. So I hope they come to an agreement.

I feel like the property is boosted by its MCU inclusion.

But I also wonder how it would work going forward.

Holland probably doesn’t want to play it forever. I’m not sure how Disney is going to handle properties where the actor has aged out or dosent want to do it. Right now they are fine with not doing Iron Man movies and stuff, but do you come back to that property? Yet Sony isn’t going to not want to keep making Spider-man movies. I’ve always been intersted in seeing how they keep this MCU going.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #34974 on: August 21, 2019, 03:41:04 PM »
Miles Morales
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #34975 on: August 21, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34976 on: August 21, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »

Last Year at Marienbad has finally gotten a re-release in NA (of the new 4K restoration). I sold my Criterion release a while back when it went OOP and was selling for ~$150, but I regretted it. Looking forward to picking this up and rewatching it this weekend, it's a beautiful movie.

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #34977 on: August 21, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »

Spidey 3's score somehow didn't have Danny Elfman but still managed to be just as good as the first two and still shit over the OSTs for ASM and MCU Spidey :lawd
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34978 on: August 21, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »
Fun fact: the same guy who did the Spider-Man 3 soundtrack also did this:

dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34979 on: August 21, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Last Year at Marienbad has finally gotten a re-release in NA (of the new 4K restoration). I sold my Criterion release a while back when it went OOP and was selling for ~$150, but I regretted it. Looking forward to picking this up and rewatching it this weekend, it's a beautiful movie.

Quick rundown of essential Resnais? This seems a bit deep-end-of-the-pool to jump in.