Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4183625 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #34260 on: May 31, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
Imagine stanning for a fucking moth lmao u wild

Imagine being a fucking idiot.

Oh wait you don't have to imagine. :ufup

Tasty

« Reply #34261 on: May 31, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
Yo I'm high AF bitch don't give a fuck 8)

Tasty

« Reply #34262 on: May 31, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
Yo those Infant Islanders must be getting fucking high all day long :aah

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34263 on: May 31, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
Watched Cherry 2000 and Zardoz:delicious
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #34264 on: May 31, 2019, 05:40:54 PM »
Tasty, heads up to get your expectations in check Mothra definitely has the least amount of footage of the main 4. The scenes Mothra are in are rad, but as a mothra fan myself I do wish there was a little more Mothra in the movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #34265 on: May 31, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
The crazy Godzilla and other monster lore is the one of the best parts of American Godzilla, tbh.

I mean the Japanese films pretty quick became really goofy sci-fi films so it's in character for the series.

Just kinda weird they do it all with a total serious straight face in the American ones.

Tasty

« Reply #34266 on: May 31, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
Knowing Mothra's personality definitely mellow

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34267 on: June 01, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »
Flesh Gordon is cumming to Blu-Ray in August.

©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #34268 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:46 PM »

Pretty pumped...  RAMBO WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Except for this movie most likely. lol
[close]

Rambo: Last Hip Replacement.

To be fair, Stallone is a great example of how long you can keep going if you keep active and regularly exercise. Not many people can do what he does at his age.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:35:07 PM by Leadbelly »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34269 on: June 04, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
Jumanji Better than I remembered, there's actually a plot, some actual meaningful narrative and it is somewhat dark for a kid's film (despite the laborious handwaving ending). Much less of a
VFX demo reel than in my memories which helps with the very uneven quality / aging. Average overall, it doesn't quite capture that 80's vibe it's looking for, but it's OK.

White House Down D-tier Die Hard clone which you can call almost beat for beat (only one I had wrong was a Die Harder type of twist...) with some corny writing in places -actually the funnier parts, not enough time of it- and stringent demands of suspending disbelief. And yet it's still the less obnoxious Emmerich film I've seen in years, probably because it's mercifully short and it's somewhat "lower stakes" and self important than usual.

Bird Box I'll agree with some of the commonly voiced complaints that the threat is too vague or not defined enough and that the flash forward structure doesn't really do it any favours. It's super generic, not very scary and it doesn't really bring anything to the table. Meh.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #34270 on: June 05, 2019, 02:12:35 AM »
Watched Ma with my horror group. I wasn't really excited for it because I swear the trailers looked like they showed THE ENTIRE MOVIE. And it looked all like Look at this stalker lady who mutilates kids after drugging them!

I was happy that the actual movie was a lot more subtle that the trailers. Like when the movie starts Ma's character isn't some crazy killer, she's like a damaged person and the movie develops her character to the breaking point of becoming a horror villain. I kinda wish the transition was a little smarter written and the ending is a little weak but overall it was solid. Fuck better than Brightburn.

Tasty

« Reply #34271 on: June 05, 2019, 07:55:49 AM »

:yikes

Looking at the reviews it seems like mostly 3/5s or Cs, which are counted rotten. Probably decent.

Tasty

« Reply #34272 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Apoc was decent :idont

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34273 on: June 05, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
The GoT girls just can't catch a break from the patriarchy.  :notlikethis
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34274 on: June 05, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »

I'd give one of my fingers to see this in theatre

Tasty

« Reply #34275 on: June 05, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Apoc was decent :idont

:what Apocalypse is the worst comic book movie made since the start of Marvel movies getting made starting with Blade in 1998. Worse than all of the Fantastic Four movies. Worse than Green Lantern. Worse than MOS/BvS/Justice League. Worse than X-Men Origins and The Last Stand. Worse than Daredevil and Electra. Worse than Catwoman. Just the dirt worst garbage.

Apoc had at least 3-4 amazing scenes and never really takes itself too seriously (almost to its detriment, especially when the entire fucking world is exploding at the end.)

Compare with BvS which is just a fucking joyless slog, no cool setpieces, zero character work, and worse acting. (Fass and McAvoy may be phoning it in now, but for the first three movies they were pretty much on their A-game.)

Justice League is a worse Apoc, with way worse effects and acting, and much lamer action. Quicksilver's scene in Apoc alone puts it over 60% of comic movies.

Also maybe rewatch Rise of the Silver Surfer instead of talking out your ass, lmao.

Apoc is a mess but it ain't a bad movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #34276 on: June 05, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
Apocalypse & BvS were both probably the worst comic book movies this decade (haven't seen Suicide Squad yet).

Tasty

« Reply #34277 on: June 05, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
BvS
- Piss jar
- No Quicksilver

Apoc
- No piss jar
- Quicksilver

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34278 on: June 05, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
An important one tho?

Only my left pinky

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34279 on: June 05, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
Space Godzilla was a cool callback to Biollante.
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34280 on: June 05, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »
moguera was the only cool thing about space godzilla

Bebpo

« Reply #34281 on: June 05, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
I never knew about space godzilla  :hyper

nudemacusers

« Reply #34282 on: June 05, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
Apocalypse & BvS were both probably the worst comic book movies this decade (haven't seen Suicide Squad yet).
Jonah hex dropped in 2010, and green lantern a year later. Sin city 2 also in 2014.

Plus
age of ultron
[close]
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #34283 on: June 06, 2019, 12:29:47 AM »
so, i never thought i'd say this but godzilla king of the monsters is one of the best godzilla films despite its many problems. there is a lot to nitpick but dougherty def understands what made the showa era so appealing to the many of us who would scour the monthly tv guides for godzilla listings during our youths. the only thing missing were aliens from planet x, or cockroaches that transform into humans for that matter. the film in many ways achieves everything that kitamura failed to do in final wars, which itself was also essentially a modernization of the showa period, particularly since both seem to be heavily influenced by invasion of astro monsters and destroy all monsters.

it's a damn shame they had to force that family drama shit into the script and have an overly obnoxious quipping scientist who never shuts the fuck up. if they had cut them out entirely, the film could've been a solid hour and forty; no godzilla film should have a run time greater than that. the film's biggest flaw is its tonal balance, where it doesn't necessarily know whether to be serious or to be campy. the promise of the sequel seems to mean that the series will potentially move in the direction of the latter so things might get seriously stupid :D and kudos to the fantastic job on building the lore

Bebpo

« Reply #34284 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
Jonah hex dropped in 2010, and green lantern a year later. Sin city 2 also in 2014.

Plus
age of ultron
[close]

Man, I forgot Sin City 2 actually existed. I don't remember anything about that movie.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #34285 on: June 06, 2019, 04:50:08 AM »
Is there a a TV thread?

Watched "Striking Vipers" last night - one of the new Black Mirror episodes.

Anthony Mackie was great - lots of good nods to fighting game fans too

SPOILERS

"I had sex with Tundra, the fucking polar bear" :rofl

(cant remember the direct quote, but it was words to that effect)
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34286 on: June 06, 2019, 05:03:19 AM »
Of course there's a new Child's Play film / reboot. Now Chucky is an app.  :comeon :idont
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34287 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
:doge

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #34288 on: June 06, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
i like that axl rose grew up to look like baby chuckie.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34289 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
2 things

1. Is Brad Dourif doing the voice still?

It's Mark Hamill.
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #34290 on: June 06, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »
I think there’s going to be a tv show too
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #34291 on: June 06, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »

Plus
age of ultron
[close]

I also don't understand why people hate Age of Ultron... perfectly fine movie, again with some good scenes.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #34292 on: June 06, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
It was the only Avengers movie that felt long. The action was largely unsatisfying.

Edit: Also, the villain wasn't menacing enough. Ultron is one of the great marvel baddies and they didn't really nail it.

Tasty

« Reply #34293 on: June 06, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
It was the only Avengers movie that felt long. The action was largely unsatisfying.

I agree with that.

Calling it worst comic book movie of the decade is a bit :doge

ToxicAdam

« Reply #34294 on: June 06, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
Maybe when people say "the worst" they mean "most disappointing". That all boils down to personal anticipation

Bebpo

« Reply #34295 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
Oh that's crazy that she's his daughter. She was really good in Dirk Gently S1.

And yeah I've been pretty vocal irl to friends about how the new Chucky design looks freaking terrible. I'm 100% ok with Mark Hamill doing the voice because Mark Hamill's VA is fucking awesome.

Tasty

« Reply #34296 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
Maybe when people say "the worst" they mean "most disappointing". That all boils down to personal anticipation

I see.

It satisfied my expectations, since while I thought the first Avengers was (surprisingly) good it wasn't like, a transformative experience. Action figures get together to punch aliens, go team.

Ultron tried and mostly failed to peel back some deeper layers, which I appreciate...

The Vision/Ultron scene towards the end is still one of the best scenes in the MCU, and Vision holding Thor's hammer was a more "oh shit!" moment in the theater than pretty much anything in Avengers 1.

But I'm not going to argue it's a great movie, and this is pretty much my piece on why I'm mostly on the side of liking it. :P

Bebpo

« Reply #34297 on: June 06, 2019, 07:02:27 PM »

I see.

It satisfied my expectations, since while I thought the first Avengers was (surprisingly) good it wasn't like, a transformative experience. Action figures get together to punch aliens, go team.

Ultron tried and mostly failed to peel back some deeper layers, which I appreciate...

The Vision/Ultron scene towards the end is still one of the best scenes in the MCU, and Vision holding Thor's hammer was a more "oh shit!" moment in the theater than pretty much anything in Avengers 1.

But I'm not going to argue it's a great movie, and this is pretty much my piece on why I'm mostly on the side of liking it. :P

Whedon's Avenger flicks were just kinda boring for what he should've been bringing. I would've expected more witty cross-team banter and maybe some creative twists. It also sucked that Scarlet Witch MCU was zzzzzzzzzz when Scarlet Witch should've been a much bigger deal and Quicksilver MCU was a joke and outshown by X-men Quicksilver. Felt like a middle entry with no real ramifications. They kinda made the Scarlet Witch better in Infinity War but eh she still seems like a whatever character instead of like god-tier like she is in the comics.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34298 on: June 06, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
that ending ultron scene and most of the ultron quips are the best things about the movie

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34299 on: June 07, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

ERE THIS NIGHT IS DONE, YOU WILL DRINK THE BLACK SPERM OF MY VENGEANCE!
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34300 on: June 08, 2019, 04:31:38 AM »
Dark Phoenix was amazingly awful.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34301 on: June 08, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
Watched the "The Spy Gone North"

The movie revolves around a South Korean spy named "Black Venus" who attempts to infiltrate North Korea. From the little Korean cinema I've watched this is very stellar.
After you've seen it you can hardly believe it is based on the actual testinomy given by this spy and real events. For a spy movie there's nearly no action but it is tense as hell and if you are intrigued by North Korea in general this an interesting movie to watch.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #34302 on: June 09, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »
Man, Booksmart lived up to the hype and was absolutely fantastic. Really well written, directed with great music choices and soundtrack by Dan the freaking Automator whaaaaaat. I've always been a big fan of good Ferris Bueller type coming of age flicks because at the end of the day, most everyone went to high school at some point in their life and no matter what your experience was you can relate to bits and pieces in these films and they're nostalgic of your hs days. This feels like it's gonna end up in the accolades with the best of that genre. Just excellent film. I actually feel like it could and should get some oscar noms, starting with Olivia Wilde's directing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:06:49 AM by Bebpo »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #34303 on: June 09, 2019, 01:42:53 AM »
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

ERE THIS NIGHT IS DONE, YOU WILL DRINK THE BLACK SPERM OF MY VENGEANCE!

One of my favorites. Z-man is the greatest character in all fiction. I’ve tried to model myself from him.

NSFW

[close]
serge

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #34304 on: June 09, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »

Social Studies Warriors it's time to stop.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34305 on: June 09, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
Stop waging crusades on fandom Cervantes :trigger
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34306 on: June 09, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
Legion : "Imagine archangels fighting with machine guns, isn't that the most radical thing ever ?". Turns out it's the lamest shit. Does it even qualify as lazy writing when there's nothing beyond stringing some generic tropes and characters ? It's also awfully cheap, extraordinarily dumb, doesn't go through with its own edginess and has some nasty undertones.

Also saw the latest Palme d'Or by Bong Jong-ho Parasite : surprise, it's great. Great balance in tone in this tale of a broke family slowly infiltrating a wealthy one to scam them, there's some bite to it and it's mean spirited without ever turning the characters into complete monsters or making a double dive in misanthropy. The SOCIAL COMMENTARY is not watered down but the film doesn't rely on just that (it's not exactly the most subtle thing ever) in the end and there's enough twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat. Besides that, it's beautiful to look at, has great acting and situations and the length / pacing is stop on. In a similar vein I thought previous winner The Square was a better dark comedy but at this level of quality it's really splitting hair.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34307 on: June 09, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
You should watch Priest next. Both it and Legion are by the same dude and both are terrible. He's another one of those dudes in a long line of vfx guys with director ambitions.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34308 on: June 09, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »
Man, Priest was some hot garbage all right.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34309 on: June 09, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
My impressions on the trailers before Parasite :

Tolkien - So painfully trying to shoehorn LOTR in the biopic ("We are really a merry band of friends !" "No... a FELLOWSHIP" *cringe*) that it basically look like the first Jackson film but with mild mannered British lit students instead of, you know, elfs and orcs and shit.

Greta - Props to Isabelle Huppert for hustling a big US money check just to basically play her greatest (most recent) hits.

Spiderman Far from Home - Wow the VFX looks crap on top of the most generic monster design ever. Otherwise no thoughts, haven't seen a Marvel movie since GotG.

Anna - Besson's usual subtlety strikes again : Do you know what a Russian doll is ? A bazillion close up shots of chess pieces ? Did you get it's a Russian spooks plot ? He's remaking Nikita again (creepy Pygmalion complex included once more) this time with a touch of The Americans, second Bourne, Salt and Red Sparrow. H.Mirren, C.Murphy and L.Evans is the B-listers he was able to lure this time round. Europa Films is in a bit of a dire situation and Besson have seen better days after Valerian, it really looks like going back to familiar territory to try to make surefire bank.
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

« Reply #34310 on: June 09, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »

This spoils the whole movie, but you weren’t going to watch it anyways

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #34311 on: June 09, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »

Caught this earlier and wooh buddy, what a fucking film. It was very hard to engage with at first since it's a fractured narrative that seems to be conveying banal moments but it just opens up these characters to the point where it was devastating. I was also floored at the crux of the narrative being about inspiration and drawing from personal experience when creating art. The final scene is still giving me a major case of goosebumps.
:9

Tasty

« Reply #34312 on: June 09, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »

This spoils the whole movie, but you weren’t going to watch it anyways

Made it 50 seconds before wanting to kill myself

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34313 on: June 09, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
In a similar vein I thought previous winner The Square was a better dark comedy but at this level of quality it's really splitting hair.
Did you watch Force Majeure? This guy's previous movie, it's great.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34314 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:18 AM »
In a similar vein I thought previous winner The Square was a better dark comedy but at this level of quality it's really splitting hair.
Did you watch Force Majeure? This guy's previous movie, it's great.

Didn't have the occasion yet but heard good things about it yeah.
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

« Reply #34315 on: June 10, 2019, 02:31:09 AM »

You didn’t like the dude?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34316 on: June 10, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »
I saw Bryan Cranston won a Tony for playing Howard Beale in a stage adaptation of Network and that sounds delightful. Got me to thinking about how to do a remake set in modern times and have it remain a satire, because the movie now has lost its original satire due to reality becoming even wilder than what Network was lampooning it would become. In this world of fake news and 3 decades of reality TV, Glen Beck and Alex Jones, how do you do the story of Network and have it not feel like a dramatized but accurate reflection of the media landscape?

Network has aged in some parts, obviously, but I don't think reality has been wilder... Yet.
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #34317 on: June 10, 2019, 08:57:48 AM »

You didn’t like the dude?

The relentless annoyingness? No, wasn't a fan...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34318 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
I Am Mother : Man, the film designers must have liked Portal ? I'm a sucker for robots and sci fi si I gave it a shot. It's all competently done but the seams start to show (the film start to look visually cheap in the last third) as things go along and you'll never be caught off guard by the story. Cool robot tho.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #34319 on: June 10, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
Wow the Wandering Earth intro is Diebuster :lol
ὕβρις