Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4181491 times)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37680 on: September 11, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
An American Pickle – Liked it. Had some good laughs here and there. Enjoyed the various modern day bits like social media and the ups and downs of it. The whole intellectual dark web nonsense blowhard bits. Things that I like to dig into on the web so I know exactly what’s up with those parts of the movie.

But putting that to the side the movie also has some heart and earnest innocence to it which I liked. A few twists and turns where you can’t help but go “d’aww”. Both the old and modern day Rogen characters are kinda crappy in their own respects (the modern day one probably more so because he should definitely know better), but within the context of the movie you still end up rooting for them both. I enjoyed how the movie showed off its themes of family and what it means to be a success within their eyes or not. It’s not the first movie that deals with a person existing in a world where they are completely out of place (or um, out of time in this case). I did enjoy how the movie handled it though. The bit about seltzer water for example. A little bit of reflection on how fast things really have moved in about a century. It’s quietly very impressive. Some things get better with time, others perhaps not so much. I liked the film both for its comedy and its heart.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:42:26 AM by EchoRin »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37681 on: September 12, 2020, 05:26:20 AM »
santana on netflix was greatness  :lol wish more action movies were like this these day but with bigger budget so they can improve on special effects. just a fun watch.

the scene with the dude putting on headphones for no reason before killing all the assassins breaking into his house  :lol I kept thinking there would be some reason for it and then the scene just ends  :thinking it was just a cool thing to do before a gun fight  :lawd

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37682 on: September 12, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37683 on: September 12, 2020, 11:50:22 PM »

google just paid me 54 cents to comment on comments on this video

Bebpo

« Reply #37684 on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:22 AM »
Subbed to HBO Max with the $12 deal to watch Lovecraft Country, so starting to check out some of their movies. I was looking forward to American Pickle since I like Seth Rogan and the concept was good, but like 30 mins it, it just seemed...not as fun as the premise should be? It was kind of boring. Will probably still finish it.

Instead bailed on it and watched Unpregnant. Was slightly thumbs up good. It's not up there with Booksmart or any of the top-tier teen coming of age road trip movies, but it's solid and fun and the friendship bonding drama works, it's just not that funny but has its charms and is worth a watch if you like the genre. Plus the messages are good and Giancarlo Esposito's does a great little bit.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37685 on: September 13, 2020, 04:21:10 AM »
Subbed to HBO Max with the $12 deal to watch Lovecraft Country, so starting to check out some of their movies. I was looking forward to American Pickle since I like Seth Rogan and the concept was good, but like 30 mins it, it just seemed...not as fun as the premise should be? It was kind of boring. Will probably still finish it.

Instead bailed on it and watched Unpregnant. Was slightly thumbs up good. It's not up there with Booksmart or any of the top-tier teen coming of age road trip movies, but it's solid and fun and the friendship bonding drama works, it's just not that funny but has its charms and is worth a watch if you like the genre. Plus the messages are good and Giancarlo Esposito's does a great little bit.
Is such a thing even possible?

Sman

« Reply #37686 on: September 13, 2020, 05:17:06 AM »
Over 30 years late, but I finally saw Cocoon The Return yesterday (off Youtube).

Bleh

Felt a bit like a TV movie sequel.

Bebpo

« Reply #37687 on: September 13, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »

Is such a thing even possible?

I mean his schtick is usually just being a normal every day relatable guy, which is good when he's in something well-written. I liked him initially in Knocked Up and through various comedy stuff. He was great in Steve Jobs as Wozniak.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37688 on: September 13, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »
I think he's one of those actors that can work when you put them in that one specific role they were essentially born to play, but all of the creative stuff of his i've seen i've found pretty horrible.  :yeshrug

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37689 on: September 13, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »
Seth Rogen seems like a good dude and he's obviously got talent, but I just can't stand him. Hard to really explain, but he annoys me and I don't find him funny at all.
dog

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37690 on: September 13, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
An American Pickle is about a Jewish immigrant from the 1920s who falls into a vat of brine and wakes up in modern-day Brooklyn.

sounds like idiocracy
◕‿◕

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37691 on: September 14, 2020, 06:44:11 AM »
or seinfeld

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37692 on: September 14, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
The Social Dilemma is the most cringey shit ever. You know those bits in The Big Short, where the scene shifts to Selena Gomez or Anthony Bourdain or someone like that, because they think you as a viewer are too fucking stupid to understand what they're saying and need some sort of "imagine you're running a lemonade stand"-type analogy? It's waaay worse than that. They explain how feed recommendations work by channeling Inside Out and using Vincent Kartheiser with a green screen "inside the computer" (Pete from Mad Men).

There's also this dramatisation of this family getting ripped apart by social media. The son loses interest in pussy because he only wants to watch Wank Dad videos, his younger sister feels self conscious all because some girl on Facebook said her ears are too big (they're not), the mom keeps buying useless shit from Amazon, and the older sister struggles with basically being the only normal one (she was kind of a nag though).

In this fictitious universe the Wank Dads that the kid is interested in are described as being part of the "Extreme Center". They are clearly a stand in for "alt-right" and their politics seem to be that voting is pointless. The reason the documentary does this is because they don't want to appear partisan and shit on half the audience. It also lets them skip over the fact that every coin has it's obverse, FOX has CNN, The Rubin Report has The Majority Report, or The Young Turks, or whatever. If you want to scoop up a bunch of dimwits so you can sell them copies of your book, or brain powder, or just because you think you're a hot-shit genius and everyone ought to know, there's a niche from all political angles. This shouldn't be news to anyone. The fact that it probably is makes me want to weep for our youth.

Anyway my friend just told me he watched this movie and was like "wow my eyes are open now, I know when we grab lunch you keep telling me not to use my phone while driving, but I swear i'll do it now". It's a shame because part of me was hoping he would die, just not when I was in the car. So now I *really* hate this documentary.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37693 on: September 14, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
Watched Creepshow 2 with a friend over the weekend. It's not as good as the first one, but I still like it.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #37694 on: September 14, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
I've gone to a free night showing of Dr. Caligari in Berlin. They had a live organ and a small lecture beforehand. Only a few people in the room with clear respect for the medium. All in all, pretty amazing watch. Great movie too, which holds up surprisingly great, though it certainly was elevated by the theatre experience.

:lawd peak pretentious film watching :lawd
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:35:04 PM by Spieler1 »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37695 on: September 14, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
The thing is, Transhuman, in The Big Short I needed those pleb explanations. The best part is I still can't fully explain the whole housing crisis.

Hell I wrote a whole paper in college on the whole Iceland bank crisis, and man even when I wrote it I was like "I am trying with all my might to comprehend this, but in the end I still don't get it." Whatever, got an A on the paper. Maybe my teacher didn't understand it either and the body of the work was good enough. I was terrified when I turned that thing in.

edit: Though I don't mean that your take on the film being cringey is off. I have never seen or heard of it until your write up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37696 on: September 14, 2020, 06:22:43 PM »
The Social Dilemma is the most cringey shit ever. You know those bits in The Big Short, where the scene shifts to Selena Gomez or Anthony Bourdain or someone like that, because they think you as a viewer are too fucking stupid to understand what they're saying and need some sort of "imagine you're running a lemonade stand"-type analogy? It's waaay worse than that. They explain how feed recommendations work by channeling Inside Out and using Vincent Kartheiser with a green screen "inside the computer" (Pete from Mad Men).

There's also this dramatisation of this family getting ripped apart by social media. The son loses interest in pussy because he only wants to watch Wank Dad videos, his younger sister feels self conscious all because some girl on Facebook said her ears are too big (they're not), the mom keeps buying useless shit from Amazon, and the older sister struggles with basically being the only normal one (she was kind of a nag though).

In this fictitious universe the Wank Dads that the kid is interested in are described as being part of the "Extreme Center". They are clearly a stand in for "alt-right" and their politics seem to be that voting is pointless. The reason the documentary does this is because they don't want to appear partisan and shit on half the audience. It also lets them skip over the fact that every coin has it's obverse, FOX has CNN, The Rubin Report has The Majority Report, or The Young Turks, or whatever. If you want to scoop up a bunch of dimwits so you can sell them copies of your book, or brain powder, or just because you think you're a hot-shit genius and everyone ought to know, there's a niche from all political angles. This shouldn't be news to anyone. The fact that it probably is makes me want to weep for our youth.

Anyway my friend just told me he watched this movie and was like "wow my eyes are open now, I know when we grab lunch you keep telling me not to use my phone while driving, but I swear i'll do it now". It's a shame because part of me was hoping he would die, just not when I was in the car. So now I *really* hate this documentary.
The chance to do a sequel of Requiem for a Dream but with a reflection of today's internet culture.
Instead you get that trash fire. Sounds enjoyable enough for me to watch and laugh at though.

Funny that they picked the alt-right for 'voting is pointless' when that's the spiel of Jimmy Dore and other leftists.
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37697 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
I'm thinking of ending things:

Meth Damon meets the shining

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37698 on: September 15, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »
When they made The Fog remake in 2005, did they get a really good deal on fake glass? I swear, someone is flying through a pane of glass, every 10 minutes or so. At least.

My man. Twins Mission on Netflix. The ultimate breaking glass movie. You will love it if you enjoy crappy films too. It's great. If nothing else just see the credits outtakes. There is literally an onset accident that would probably cause US companies to get sued to oblivion. In China though, it's a funny little thing to put in the credits  :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37699 on: September 15, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »
Is it a step up from Police Story's glass breaking hellhole?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37700 on: September 15, 2020, 02:40:31 PM »
Mmm... I haven't seen any of the Jackie Chan movies from that series so I can't really say  :-[

But it was wild enough that a friend made a 2 minute compilation of every single glass breaking. (not uploaded on the internet. sorry)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37701 on: September 15, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
My dude, you have to remedy that.
Police Story 1&2 (yeah, PS3: Supercop and and PS4: First Strike are also amazing, but not as tightly put together, in my opinion) are peak Jackie.
Only Armor of God 1 and Armor of God 2 Operation Condor i'd put on that level or maybe above it.

I know people always only mention Drunken Master 2, which is great, but i prefer his modern setting movies, and even then, i'd put the two Project A above that.

Maybe i should do a ranking of his stuff, i haven't watched all of it (far from it,  :lol) but quite a lot of em. :thinking

Himu

« Reply #37702 on: September 15, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »
Police Story is probably my favorite Chan film. Jackie Chan is also my favorite actor. Cosign.

I finally watched 1917. The entire one shot style, while novel and immersive at first, fell into gimmick territory as the story went on. I just didn't find myself interested past the first 20-30 minutes. I felt like the story didn't validate the style and the what story is there is so threadbare that it sinks to uninteresting half way. It's not even a real one shot film which takes away from its own so-called achievement. I really wanted to like it but found it to be a dud in the end for me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:54:31 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37703 on: September 15, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Police Story 1 is by far my favorite of the PS movies(I like 3 and to a lesser degree 2). Maybe favorite of Jackie Chan movies, because I too like more modern Hong Kong movies. I just like seeing the city I guess.

The opening is so thrilling in how it just keeps ramping up to just complete chaos. The fight scene around the cars is amazing. And the humor is genuinely funny the further you get into the movie. The stuff with Brigitte Lin is just pretty comical as he has someone to bounce off of. And of course the ending in the mall is non stop amazing.

PS2 I really don't like as much. More serious for whatever reason, no fun female character to react too, and I just don't remember the action being as good.

3 I like just because of Michelle Yeoh.

Himu

« Reply #37704 on: September 15, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »
Throw on some Police Story 1, Supercop, Wheels on Meals, Rumble in the Bronx, and Drunken Master II for a fun night.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #37705 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:21 PM »

3 I like just because of Michelle Yeoh.

Have you seen Yes Madam? It owns.

IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37706 on: September 15, 2020, 04:16:15 PM »
I was looking for a blu ray copy of that and could not find any.

Also, I don't know if anyone here knows about this, but:

https://hkrservices.lpages.co/hong-kong-rescue-collection/

I've heard pretty good things and I ordered a copy of Hardboild and Meals on Wheels.

Himu

« Reply #37707 on: September 15, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
Tell me how it is. :drool
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37708 on: September 15, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
I tried to watch Three Days Of The Condor but my internet is so reliably undependable that I can only get about 30 mins in at a time before my internet goes out for 5-10 minutes and the frustration is just too much :rage

Is that the new master ? It's been restored in 4k recently IIRC. Last time I watched it in Netflix (2 years ago ?) it was an upscaled DVD version or something close, pretty painful.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37709 on: September 15, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »

:lawd
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37710 on: September 15, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
No, the only place it's streaming is Pluto lmao

It is/was on Amazon Prime, I watched it a while back. I don’t remember what the quality was like.
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37711 on: September 15, 2020, 10:53:32 PM »
rewatched Coneheads yesterday... a perfect film
每天生气

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37712 on: September 17, 2020, 12:55:27 AM »
Watched Hard Target and it's a very solid John Woo movie. Yeah Van Damne can't act, but he's still fun in a goofy way. Yeah the story is dumb, but not in a real offensive way. Everything works enough for an action movie.

But it's petty enjoyable. None of the action touches Hardboild, but the last 30 mins or so are great and are at least Hardboild light which still is awesome. The two villains are really enjoyable and there's good action throughout.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37713 on: September 18, 2020, 01:14:44 AM »

"it's the scarface of white people" :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37714 on: September 18, 2020, 04:08:14 AM »
Isn't the white people's Scarface the 1932 version ?
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37715 on: September 18, 2020, 04:13:27 AM »
that was the italians scarface before they became white

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37716 on: September 18, 2020, 04:15:38 AM »
Paul Muni real name was Meshilem Weisenfreund.  :leon
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37717 on: September 18, 2020, 04:29:42 AM »

:lol

it's more that white men love fight club the way black men love pacino face

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37718 on: September 18, 2020, 04:58:30 AM »
i'm a cracker who prefers scarface :trumps :o :pika
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37719 on: September 18, 2020, 05:15:48 AM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:34:59 AM by Rahxephon91 »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37720 on: September 19, 2020, 02:01:56 AM »

First time I've been excited for a Sherlock property since BBC's Season 3.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37721 on: September 20, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
watched Possessor last night, sci-fi horror by Brandon Cronenberg... lots of blood. overall though enjoyed it...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37722 on: September 20, 2020, 12:17:49 AM »
I watched HOSTEL this morning, after years of thinking it would just be some horrible string of torture images. It turns out the first half is really smart, well directed, well acted, and well shot. The second half is more like what I was expecting, and it veers into strange territory.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I particularly enjoyed that it wasn’t a single, crazed killer. The idea that there are people all over the world who are willing to pay for this kind of experience was unsettling, and effective. Having the one other American they encounter being a hunter who is jealous that someone else paid for hunting another American was a particularly nice cultural note. Takashi Miike makes a cameo as a patron, having apparently been one of the inspirations for the film with his movie, audition.
[close]

Pretty sure their shared room number “237“ is a reference to the shining, so I immediately followed up with Doctor Sleep. This is also a better movie than I expected, and I almost never get tired of looking at Rebecca Ferguson, but holy shit this is a long movie. This movie is as long as a Stephen King book.

watched Possessor last night, sci-fi horror by Brandon Cronenberg... lots of blood. overall though enjoyed it...
I am very excited to watch that. I will probably buy it as soon as it goes on sale.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37723 on: September 20, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »
I've bought a lot Asian and Asian-adjacent movies recently.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37724 on: September 21, 2020, 01:50:35 AM »
I've bought a lot Asian and Asian-adjacent movies recently.

one of those things is not like the others....

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37725 on: September 21, 2020, 03:06:45 AM »
Since I've been watching John Woo movies, I thought I'd also just buy the John Woo game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37726 on: September 21, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
Watched the social dilemma on netflix or whatever.

Pretty interesting even though I knew most about those internet persuasion technology things.
The normies are completely fucked  :doge
🤴

naff

« Reply #37727 on: September 22, 2020, 12:41:14 AM »
The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2, enjoyed the first part more. Both parts play up this weird crypto fascist wet dream with this jingoistic propaganda angle, then trying to make it tongue and cheek constantly referring to pundits and random people talking about Batman being a "fascist" dude then positioning him as a necessary evil and Superman teaming up with Prez Reagan looking like a super jacked zombie. All very on the nose with a heady mix of mcarthyism and reaganite tropes, but the tone was just off to me. I liked how ridiculous it was, though I would've been into more time spent on The Joker's fantastic sequence in Part 2. The movie was already short, and it jumps really suddenly between huge story beats. Quite faithful to, and felt like the comic though. In that sense it nailed it. I can see why Snyder teamed up with Oliva, though Oliva's take was much better than Snyder's I still didn't quite vibe with this adaptation.

Was going to watch Only Angels Have Wings afterward but wanted to watch more cartoons so I rewatched Patlabor. Loved it so much I started rewatching Patlabor 2 straight afterward. I like these films more than GitS at this point. Perfect anime. Going to track down the tv series after work.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37728 on: September 22, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
Patlabor 1 & 2 are fantastic movies. There's a reasonably priced blu-ray boxset with all the movies/OVAs/TV series.
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37729 on: September 22, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »
I also like Patlabor 2 more than GitS.
The mood in that film is unmatched.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37730 on: September 22, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »

:preach
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37731 on: September 22, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
weird crypto fascist wet dream with this jingoistic propaganda angle, then trying to make it tongue and cheek

Yeah, the biggest offender is Batman activating a secret global surveillance network over the principled objections of one of his major collaborator... Only for the latter to be mostly cool about it because it's one time only.

Haven't seen the last one with Bane but the Nolan films are full of this, the infamous ending of Batman Begins is another poster boy for this sort of shallow gotcha while talking so big (and so long, again and again and...).

I guess it's supposed to be "ambiguity" but I always found it more confusing than anything.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:49:13 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37732 on: September 22, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
I think he's talking about a cartoon, not the Nolan movies. :thinking

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37733 on: September 22, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »

Yes, based on the comic by Frank Miller.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37734 on: September 22, 2020, 03:13:58 PM »
I mean it dosen't surprise me that those readings are there. Nolan comes off as kind of a pretty elitist dude even before Tenet. Lots of his movies now kind of have "look how awesome rich people are". I mean so much of Tenet's plot hinges on things that I don't think any normal person would find relatable.

But I'm not sure those readings are there on purpose. At the end of the day a lot of his movies kind of boil down to "look at this dude and how much he is willing to sacrifice." Wouldn't surprise me if he has some liberterian leanings.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37735 on: September 22, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »
The hero of Interstellar was a dirt farmer, tho
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37736 on: September 22, 2020, 04:16:17 PM »
I don't think what I said applies to every movie he's made, but the "sacrificial" thing I think is in a lot of them.

But also in Interstellar he hates being a dirt farmer and one of the drives is that he thinks he should have better. That being a dirt farmer is'nt for him.

Love that movie and I feel one of the more unsaid elements is the fact that the main character feels guilty about what he is doing, but also at the same time does want to do it because of the thrill of it.

naff

« Reply #37737 on: September 22, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
Yeah, I was talking about the Jay Oliva films The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2  8)

Don't think Superman ever teams up with jacked zombie President Reagan in the Nolanverse.
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37738 on: September 22, 2020, 09:49:43 PM »

You're right. :dead  :whatisthis

Yeah, I was talking about the Jay Oliva films The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2  8)

Don't think Superman ever teams up with jacked zombie President Reagan in the Nolanverse.

I literally read what I wanted to see in your message.
 :larry
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37739 on: September 22, 2020, 11:05:57 PM »
Thats the only way to read.