Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4180894 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37800 on: October 16, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »
marky mark in i heart huckabees is one of my all time favorite movie characters  :lol even his hair is hilarious :lol :lol

and wearing them damn boots everywhere  :lol

watched it this morn and it only gets better with experience  8)

I had this theory that the happening is secretly a dark comedy and it's a great one... maybe I was right  :thinking
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:46:12 PM by filler »

« Reply #37801 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »
I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World which I had never seen before nor read the source material........."

Oh me too. I didn't see it until maybe a year or two ago. But I enjoyed the goofyness of the story too. Totally agree with the aesthetic being nailed though. Thumbs up to the ost too.

My wife and I saw it in the theater. It's an enjoyable visual experience with some great scenes, but man did I cringe hard at some parts knowing that she was watching this alongside me.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37802 on: October 16, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
Scott Pilgrim isn’t a hero. I feel like people miss that. Not as frequently or badly as people miss the point with FIGHT CLUB though.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37803 on: October 17, 2020, 04:33:54 AM »
watched hansel and gretel: witch hunters

this scene is what I want hulk to be  :whew fun movie

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37804 on: October 18, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
I watched and enjoyed the French Canadian/Anglo-Canadian comedy, bon cop, bad cop. A cop from Toronto and a cop from Montreal have to work together despite their odd couple differences to solve a string of murders. Cultural differences, and a shared love of hockey or central. It is a fun to watch, well shot, somewhat gross, dark comedy. I imagine if I was a fully bilingual French-Canadian, it would be even funnier. Knowing a few French Canadians, the humor seems on point.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #37805 on: October 18, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
All cops are bon?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37806 on: October 18, 2020, 11:18:57 PM »
if the bon cops don't arrest the bad cops, then they're not really bon cops mon ami :pimp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37807 on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
Bad to the bon
©@©™

Sman

« Reply #37808 on: October 19, 2020, 03:32:31 AM »
I watched and enjoyed the French Canadian/Anglo-Canadian comedy, bon cop, bad cop. A cop from Toronto and a cop from Montreal have to work together despite their odd couple differences to solve a string of murders. Cultural differences, and a shared love of hockey or central. It is a fun to watch, well shot, somewhat gross, dark comedy. I imagine if I was a fully bilingual French-Canadian, it would be even funnier. Knowing a few French Canadians, the humor seems on point.

It's a classic.

But I've never seen it.  8)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37809 on: October 19, 2020, 07:54:02 AM »
Netflix here uploaded John Woo's Hard Target that I always wanted to rewatch and wow what a trip.

It's not so much a film than a caravan of nineties tropes loosely connecting some really decent action & stunt work. The film has this vein of artificiality of being done on a budget but being aware about it -A man get gunned down in a crowded street without anyone acknowledging the convoy of killers presumably 20 meters away-, those distinctly HK mannerisms and naiveté (Yancy Butler acting notably) and of course all the coolest flair of heroic bloodshed imagery... Though all of Woo's talent cannot make Van Damme look good with that wet rag haircut on and those lines. :lol

The Muscles from Brussels is an ex Special Forces hobo raised in the bayou by his Cajun uncle (Wilford Brimley lolwut) who gets embroiled in a Most Dangerous Game scheme helmed by Lance Henriksen (being told to play the most cartoony Satan he could think of, I guess) and Arnold Vosloo (appropriately slick). The narration is purely serviceable (hobo Van Damme gets to investigate along the detective ???) and the constant use of cross-fades make it really sloppy, I guess this was trimmed down a lot or otherwise not well structured on the page. Moment to moment it is really fun still as a series of corny vignettes of Van Damme working the docks with some generic guitar riff or Vosloo & Henriksen bonding over cold blooded murder. The action held up really well and surprisingly close to some of the effects and stunts Woo did in Faceoff or M:I2. A lot of bang for the buck that ramps up to a ridiculous climax that also features Sven-Ole Thorsen and Robert Apisa. What's not to like ?

ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37810 on: October 19, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
Is that a mullet or is his hair just tied back?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37811 on: October 19, 2020, 01:06:24 PM »
Not going to lie, never really watched a lot of Van Damme's work.  I could never take the idea of a Belgian action hero seriously. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37812 on: October 19, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
Van Damme introduction in this :delicious

"- How was the gumbo ?
- A catastrophe
"
ὕβρις

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37813 on: October 19, 2020, 02:05:17 PM »
 :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37814 on: October 19, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »
Killer Elite, the 2011 Statham vehicle which I supposed was a remake of that Peckinpah film but actually not. It's a perfectly good to average action film that get some additional cachet for being set in the 80's with a bunch of grimy SAS lads from the secret operations in Oman. Has the feels of a low grade Frederick Forsyth story.

Also that suburban Paris train looks like a London subway station with props but they did OK.

De Niro is sleepwalking though this but really it's Statham and Owen show.
ὕβρις

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37815 on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
I’m Thinking of Ending Things – It’s hard to really figure out how I want to write about this film. In short, it’s about the human condition and a few characters that are incredibly well developed that we seem to know them like our own friends. Just so layered.

Our two main characters are Jake and a woman who has many names (because this movie gets weird in little off-kilter ways) who are a couple. They are driving to Jake’s parents house. This driving scene is pretty long, but here we already see so much about who these two are. Their dynamic and mostly her perception of things. We see that they are pretty intelligent, thinking or maybe overthinking types. Intellect is important to them. With her it seems to be more natural about who she is. With Jake it’s almost like he tries to play catch up in that respect or has a slight fear of not being as intellectual. They seem to almost have an unspoken competition about who can quote what philosopher or poet or whatever. Or explain something on a psychological level. They’re heady conversations. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But that’s what we are dealing with. During this drive we know that the woman is thinking this will probably be the conclusion of their relationship, but here we are arriving at Jake’s parents house.

Now I don’t want to get into all the details trying to describe the relationships and personalities and quirks and little tiny things you notice. If you’ve seen the movie you know how damn detailed these four characters are. It’s insane. I feel like in this short time I know them like I’ve known these people for a year. The parents are excellently acted. Shoot all four do a great job.

So here during this visit the film sort of starts to glitch out. First a little (hey that dog is, weird eh? Almost like an error from the Matrix). Then they start to get really weird. We see the parents appear in different age versions of themselves, but all the characters act as if all is happening right here and now. So this is hard for me to explain, but it makes total sense when watching the movie. Essentially, we have memories, idea, daydreams, assumptions all kind of colliding. Is what we are seeing something that is actually happening? Is it just a visual representation of a feeling? Are we imagining what the mother will be like in the future? Or perhaps that already happened, and we are reliving a memory of Jake. Again, this is much more sensible when being viewed. I’m not even touching on the other little things like the girlfriend seeing “her” poem not actually being her poem and other little things like her going into the basement. This film is just packed to the brim with things that you simply must see to comprehend, to feel, to organize. Yes, because the film is really taping into all kinds of timelines within these characters.

For example, the visit to Tulsy Town after we leave the parent’s house. The scene makes sense, but we have like a cross of 4 different timelines crossing together. And we act like they all fit. We as the viewer pick up all sorts of information about our characters through these interactions. And it’s just so cool how something that seems like a damn headache come off rather elegantly even though it’s more of a kaleidoscope than a puzzle to fit pieces into.

I love the interactions when the couple is in the parking lot in front of the school and they get into a minor quibble about that “Baby It’s Cold Outside” song. I totally get what each side is saying in the moment. And under more regular circumstances it probably would have blown over, but with a bit of frustration the argument gets a little heated. It’s great. The ballet scene. Excellent little summary of what we can assume is a representation of a romantic relationship. Maybe this one between our main two characters. Maybe the woman is just a representation of another girl Jake was in love with.

See it doesn’t necessarily matter if what is going on in front of our eyes is real or not. Or just memory of Jake that he is replaying or fantasizing about or misremembering or daydreaming. All in all it just serves to tap into feelings of our characters. For what it’s worth I think the main woman does exist and always did. Once we get into the high school I feel like that’s a representation of the conclusion of that relationship. Again, the movie playing with various timelines and what is actually real and what is just a visual representation of a scenario that did or didn’t happen.

The old janitor? Yeah I think that’s supposed to be present time Jake. And he had ambitions and dreams and probably was capable of more, but through various experiences stumbled and stumbled until he ended up as a janitor at his old high school. Essentially, the potential that he had he let it slip away and totally receded into a version of himself that he seems to regret but has accepted.

P.S. Toni Collette. Amazing job. Her character is just… well all the characters are so fleshed out.

Amazing film. Favorite so far this year.

P.P.S. Tulsy Town theme and videos are the shit.

P.P.P.S. I think it’s also fascinating that for the longest time it seems like the central character is the girlfriend, but eventually it shifts into Jake’s story. And I think the woman’s story is real too. Eventually we just fall more and more into Jake’s memories and re-livings of things.

P.P.P.P.S. I can probably watch this movie 5 more times and find a little something to make me get that character even more. It’s scary how fleshed out they are.

OK. Done. God damn. This is the hardest movie to write about.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37816 on: October 19, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
Tales of the Crypt Bordello of Blood : Weird idea to have a long feature of Tales from the Crypt. Even weirder to have it be led by Dennis Miller basically doing a long routine of double entendre jokes. Some decent SFX work but otherwise flat, not really sexy, frightening or funny.

Kill Me Three Times : A 2014 Australian film with Simon Pegg, Bryan Brown and another Hemsworth. It's a somewhat Rashomonesque crime story with a lot of twists. Didn't really care for it, the misanthropic streak of the writing didn't please me a lot. The framing and directing goes from ok to clumsy and a bit cringe. It tries to be a Coen or Tarantino film but it's not nearly clever enough to get to that level.
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #37817 on: October 19, 2020, 10:26:43 PM »
to be fair the only good JCVD film is JCVD and demolition man.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37818 on: October 20, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »
Cargo, an Indian SciFi film... I expected an epic blockbuster like The Wandering Earth but it's actually an introspective tale of an old demon astronaut in charge of post death transition towards reincarnation for humans when he is assigned a young female assistant. It opens with a fake YouTube ad and a Ted Talk of the Demonic Steve Jobs CEO who expanded post death into space, and the whole thing has an interesting retro production design and a wholesome tone throughout.

I'm not sure it really sustains itself over 110mn in terms of oacing but all the beats are there and competently done and there's even some subtlety to the thing.

Give it a try !
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #37819 on: October 20, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »
to be fair the only good JCVD film is JCVD and demolition man.

The short lived Jean Claude Van Johnson series is also worth a watch

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37820 on: October 21, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »
Saw Tremors: Shrieker Island, went in with zero expectations what I got is basically a schlocky homage to Predator.  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:51:36 PM by D3RANG3D »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37821 on: October 21, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Nice.  I just rewatched 2 and 3 this week.  Never saw 4-6, so thinking I'll do those before 7.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37822 on: October 22, 2020, 01:40:57 AM »
saw reees october horror movie month thread. so decided to watch some movies

Watched Phase IV, then watched the original ending on youtube. shame Saul Bass never made another movie...
Enjoyed Leviathan, an abyss/aliens rip-off, but reminded me of Xcom Terror From The Deep with the creature. enjoyed it overall
Finally saw the original Candyman, an interesting take on how a urban legend starts, that would be interesting to revisit
then watched Tenebrae, love me some Giallo

oh, and watched hell comes to frogtown misogynistic frogs are an interesting subgenre

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37823 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:08 AM »
I love Candyman so much. It's a glamorous 50s drama dressed up like a slasher film. Such a beautiful, passionate movie.

Be my victim :lawd
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37824 on: October 22, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »

oh, and watched hell comes to frogtown misogynistic frogs are an interesting subgenre
:rarestpepe

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37825 on: October 22, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »
The director made like three other Frogtown movies that no one's ever seen or barely even heard of, it's definitely his kink.
©@©™

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37826 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »
The director made like three other Frogtown movies that no one's ever seen or barely even heard of, it's definitely his kink.

Hubba hubba

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37827 on: October 23, 2020, 05:36:02 PM »
The new Borat movie is great but half the time I can't tell if everything was scripted and that includes all that Rudy Giuliani does  :dead

🤴

nudemacusers

« Reply #37828 on: October 29, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »
Candyman is a cool film plus that white lady has nice bazooms
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37829 on: October 31, 2020, 12:26:18 AM »
Candyman is a cool film plus that white lady has nice bazooms

Virginia Madsen? Yup, she’s gorgeous.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #37830 on: October 31, 2020, 12:38:52 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ellen-page-paris-berelc-starring-in-video-game-comedy-1up-exclusive
Ellen Page and Paris Berelc are starring in 1UP, an underdog comedy set in the world of gaming that Kyle Newman will direct for BuzzFeed Studios.

Julia Yorks wrote the script that has been described as being in the vein of Pitch Perfect but set in the world of eSports with a GamerGate backdrop.

The story centers on a female gamer named Vivian Lee who quits her college eSports team rather than put up with sexism from her male counterparts. But with her scholarship on the line, she is forced to assemble a Varsity-caliber, all-women's team that can compete with the boys. With the help of an enigmatic coach who returns to the spotlight after her own GamerGate scandal, the young woman recruits an unlikely crew of unskilled misfits to kick some serious gamer butt.

Berelc is playing the college student while Page is the coach.
masterpiece incoming :jeb

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37831 on: October 31, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »
 :iface

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #37832 on: October 31, 2020, 04:58:06 AM »
:goty2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37833 on: October 31, 2020, 05:16:35 AM »
Who plays Steve Bannon?
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37834 on: October 31, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Sounds kinda dumb (not in a "I believe gamergate was good / omg sexism doesn't exist" kind of way, mind you), but if it's a comedy then I guess I'll see what the vibe is in the trailer.

Not that this will be the next Anchorman, but even that movie was essentially "the damn patriarchy" in a lot of ways and it was fantastic.

Leadbelly

« Reply #37835 on: October 31, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »
It will piss a number of people off. The film will end up total garbage anyway. The failure of the film will be blamed on misogyny.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37837 on: October 31, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
in europe they call him the romanian  :trumps

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37838 on: October 31, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »
 :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37839 on: November 01, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
Watched His House on Netflix - really good, and works on multiple levels.
On the surface level as a haunted house story, the people living in the haunted house being refugees and effectively under house arrest gives a strong answer to the usual "Why don't you just fucking move if there's ghosts in your house?" cliché, but it also works on the more psychological level of ghosts being the things that haunt you and the repercussions of the things you've done.

Really good, kind of surprised there isn't more buzz, especially given its release date timing being perfect for Spoopy Weekend. I guess people are watching the trailer and expecting the usual Blumhouse jump scare nonsense?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37840 on: November 01, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Anchorman is one of the worst movies ever.

WRONG
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #37841 on: November 01, 2020, 10:55:01 PM »
I mean it’s not transformers ‘86, this is true.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37842 on: November 01, 2020, 10:58:02 PM »
it was fun when I watched it  :trumps probably never watch again  :hitler

Leadbelly

« Reply #37843 on: November 01, 2020, 11:09:27 PM »
I love listening to jazz flute. Ron Burgundy is masterful.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37844 on: November 02, 2020, 04:41:29 AM »
Well I guess I learned not to mess with TOHO
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:23:30 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37845 on: November 02, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
I mean it’s not transformers ‘86, this is true.

:maf

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37846 on: November 02, 2020, 08:18:46 AM »

You got flagged? Boooo

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37847 on: November 02, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »
Anchorman is one of the worst movies ever.
Anchorman is a fantastic movie  8)
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37848 on: November 02, 2020, 03:53:03 PM »

You got flagged? Boooo

Yeah, I've tried everything. Filters, zooming in, and re-editing constantly but every upload the Content ID find something else. So here's the best I could do.

I mean I'm just doing this for fun and to share stuff I like so I don't care about views and whatnot, still sucks. Will probably not do any Godzilla videos lol.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37849 on: November 02, 2020, 04:26:04 PM »
Yeah it's a damn shame. Companies should recognize that exposure only creates more interest in said product/film/game/etc.

But Japanese companies in particular seem to be very old fashioned when it comes to the interent. The only people they are hurting is themselves. So much content out there so people will just turn to the next easy thing they can see. I've seen this for way too long when it comes to the Japanese music industry. They are dinosaurs. It's gotten better since the start of the last decade, but man. The shift is way too slow.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37850 on: November 02, 2020, 04:36:08 PM »
they've all seen what happened with sonic  :oreilly can't let that ever happen again  :jgames

they do approve of bowsette for some reason :bowsette

Coax

« Reply #37851 on: November 03, 2020, 03:08:51 AM »
Received Lawrence of Arabia in Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K). Bizarrely the only way it's been released so far in this format is via the Columbia Classics Collection Volume 1 which I don't care for so found one being sold individually from the set. Last I watched it was in the cinema in a 70mm presentation (would have been prior to the 2012 restoration).

The cinematography :jeb

The filesize :jeb

Ironically people discovered the SDR streaming version has some finer image details but has poor compression relatively. There was a theory that perhaps they were aiming for a single BD100 (100GB) disc originally, and set the quality target for the video as such but since the audio tracks push it far over that they made it a dual disc release. Somewhere there's a slightly finer detailed version that's even larger in size (potentially the Kaleidescape version with its insanely expensive DRM hardware) but it's still a superb release.

Screenshots (downsampled and adjusted for SDR)

[close]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:15:29 AM by Coax »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37852 on: November 03, 2020, 04:29:03 AM »
Damn.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37853 on: November 05, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
Bill and Ted 1-3 were all great

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37854 on: November 05, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »
Watched Borat 1 for the first time on election night. Very funny. For a movie that's about 15 years old or so it didn't feel dated at all.

The hotel fight scene  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37855 on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
Yeah it's a damn shame. Companies should recognize that exposure only creates more interest in said product/film/game/etc.

But Japanese companies in particular seem to be very old fashioned when it comes to the interent. The only people they are hurting is themselves. So much content out there so people will just turn to the next easy thing they can see. I've seen this for way too long when it comes to the Japanese music industry. They are dinosaurs. It's gotten better since the start of the last decade, but man. The shift is way too slow.

You are correct. Japan is generally xenophobic and ignorant when it comes to doing business overseas. The tendency is to try and figure out how to do business in Japan, and protect their reputation. When a Japanese company goes to a litigious country like the USA and opens themselves up to lawsuits, they're not only worried about monetary loss, but their reputation as well. A lawsuit in a foreign country can still tarnish their reputation at home, regardless of whether or not the lawsuit is valid. So the natural tendency is to remain extremely conservative.

This is bolstered by the general agedness and technological cluelessness of people in elevated positions in both business and government.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #37856 on: November 06, 2020, 12:15:47 AM »
Sounds like honor and shame are a huge part.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37857 on: November 08, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37858 on: November 08, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »
Possessor was a freaky, bad vibes movie. 4.5 body horrors out of 5.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37859 on: November 14, 2020, 08:27:01 PM »
So a few weeks ago I told one of my buddies: "Did you ever see the Matrix?" and to my surprise he hadn't.
So we watched the Matrix and then of course a few weeks later the question came up: "Do you have the sequel?"
Of course my man in glorious 4k HDR.

But tonight it was time to watch Matrix 3.

It was both worse and better than I remember.
Matrix 2 had shit start, literally nothing happens until they go and visit the Merovingian and from that point, the movie has its moments.
Matrix 3 is that in reverse, all the interesting things happen in the first 30 minutes and then it's just shooting, shooting, shooting, more shooting.
Finally a Dragonball Z with Smith and then it's over.

Can't wait for Matrix 4 tho  :doggy
🤴