Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4169833 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37980 on: December 09, 2020, 10:30:17 AM »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #37981 on: December 09, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
German Productions on Safe Shooting Spree

Edit- They already changed it. :lol "German Productions Wrap Safely Amid Pandemic" (original still in the URL tho)

Does Variety read The Bore?!?!?!?!? :o
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:38:16 AM by Tasty »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37982 on: December 09, 2020, 12:17:53 PM »
https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/charlie-cox-daredevil-spiderman-3-marvel-studios/

Ok this getting insane.  I was hesitant at first but I'm in now as long as its not a push from Sony to set up their own stuff. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37983 on: December 09, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
I'm totally fine with empty fan service considering Holland is a good Spiderman/Peter Parker but his two movies have fucking sucked. I thought all this Spiderverse stuff was going down in Dr. Strange 2, though.

Strange 2 will be Wanda focused I think

Far From Home was shit, they could bring back Jesus Christ and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

:piss

Tasty

« Reply #37984 on: December 09, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/charlie-cox-daredevil-spiderman-3-marvel-studios/

Ok this getting insane.  I was hesitant at first but I'm in now as long as its not a push from Sony to set up their own stuff. 

My boner is SO fricking hard right now!

Tasty

« Reply #37985 on: December 09, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/business/media/warner-bros-hbo-max-movies-pay.html

Bonuses for Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot ($10 mil each), no bonuses for anyone else including Keanu and Will Smith. :wtf (yet)

Talk of a Warner Bros. boycott began circulating inside the Directors Guild of America. A partner at one talent agency spent part of the weekend meeting with litigators. Some people started to angrily refer to the studio as Former Bros.

Lol damn.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37986 on: December 09, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
When you have zero good ideas, you can always jerk off nerds with constant call backs. ::)
Worked well enough for Star Wars.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #37988 on: December 09, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
"She's begging for total global humiliation. She's gonna get it. ...She sucked [Elon Musk's] crooked dick and he gave her some shitty lawyers … I have no mercy, no fear and not an ounce of emotion or what I once thought was love for this gold digging, low level, dime a dozen, mushy, pointless dangling overused flappy fish market … I'm so fucking happy she wants to fight this out!!! She will hit the wall hard!!! And I cannot wait to have this waste of a cum guzzler out of my life!!! I met fucking sublime little Russian here … Which makes me realize the time I blew on that 50 cent stripper … I wouldn't touch her with a goddam glove."

:trumps

Tasty

« Reply #37989 on: December 09, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »
Sources say he paid his first wife, Lori Anne Allison, $1.25 million to keep quiet after he allegedly left a long ranting message in which he repeatedly used the N-word.

:doge

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37990 on: December 09, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
Call me a cynic, but I would imagine the very best time to write a slanderous hit piece on someone you don't like is immediately after they lost a well publicised libel case

Tasty

« Reply #37991 on: December 09, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
Other explosive suits were settled quietly, including one filed by two former bodyguards, who claimed they were subjected to unsafe conditions and duties like dusting drug residue off Depp's face in public.

:mindblown

According to legal documents in the Mandel case, Depp has purchased 14 residences. He dropped $30,000 a month on wine alone.

:mindblown :mindblown

And in perhaps the most extravagant move of all, he spent $5 million to have Hunter S. Thompson's ashes fired from a cannon hoisted atop a 153-foot tower in a fleeting tribute to the gonzo journalist.

:mindblown :mindblown :mindblown

"My firm is involved in a lot of controversial cases," she says. "Our clients are suing the white supremacists and neo-Nazis responsible for the violence in Charlottesville. I have clients who are suing Donald Trump. But, by far, the one case [of ours] that has generated the greatest amount of hostile social media attacks is Johnny Depp v. Amber Heard. Not even close."

:mindblown :mindblown :mindblown :mindblown

Tasty

« Reply #37992 on: December 09, 2020, 01:53:43 PM »
Call me a cynic, but I would imagine the very best time to write a slanderous hit piece on someone you don't like is immediately after they lost a well publicised libel case

I mean even if it's just the targeted release of the most damning texts, these are some fucking damning texts and phone calls bro.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37993 on: December 09, 2020, 01:59:45 PM »

I mean even if it's just the targeted release of the most damning texts, these are some fucking damning texts and phone calls bro.

sure, but we know amber heard damn near sliced his finger off in a fight, and to portray that as he hurt his finger in an argument, costing the movie producers thousands to fly him away for medical care is pretty  :doge

Coffee Dog

« Reply #37994 on: December 09, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1336386069038854144

What

What

Spider-Rant: Man, we really aren't ever going to get smaller scale Peter Parker stories again are we?   :( Spider-man 2 is the best one and that has one (1!) villain and is about peter dealing with bullshit in his life. These MCU movies axed every element of domestic drama by doing away with the secret identity and his money woes, and now instead of slowing the fuck down and giving 2 hours to these massive changes in his life we're having him hold the multiverse together against the interdimensional sinister six in yet another team up.

Miles is the future of the brand to me, because between his parents and uncle aaron writers have latched on to the domestic drama of his character and deemed it valuable whereas everyone seems so over aunt may that every modern adaptation of Peter either writes her out or has her know he's Spidey or both. This is what makes Spider-Man unique from other superheroes, or at least it's what appeals to me.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37995 on: December 09, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
Sources say he paid his first wife, Lori Anne Allison, $1.25 million to keep quiet after he allegedly left a long ranting message in which he repeatedly used the N-word.

:doge

:nerds
©@©™

Coffee Dog

« Reply #37996 on: December 09, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1336386069038854144

What

What

Spider-Rant: Man, we really aren't ever going to get smaller scale Peter Parker stories again are we?   :( Spider-man 2 is the best one and that has one (1!) villain and is about peter dealing with bullshit in his life. These MCU movies axed every element of domestic drama by doing away with the secret identity and his money woes, and now instead of slowing the fuck down and giving 2 hours to these massive changes in his life we're having him hold the multiverse together against the interdimensional sinister six in yet another team up.

Miles is the future of the brand to me, because between his parents and uncle aaron writers have latched on to the domestic drama of his character and deemed it valuable whereas everyone seems so over aunt may that every modern adaptation of Peter either writes her out or has her know he's Spidey or both. This is what makes Spider-Man unique from other superheroes, or at least it's what appeals to me.

I'm real fucking tired of every spider story and villain being a mentor or friend or relative so I'd rather some big interdimensional clusterfuck with multiverse fuckery tbh

Why can't they come up with ways to involve Peter's life in the plots of these films beyond "finds out his dentist/mailman/work buddy was actually SUPERVILLAIN"  :stahp

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37997 on: December 09, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Wasn't the Sandman just some innocent bystander? No connection to Parker right?

fake edit: Ok so I guess he killed Uncle Ben. I tried.

real edit: Well what about that weird guy who was really into nature? Had like a fake mane or something. I remember him from the 90s show and I can't think of any connection to Parker. (you nerds will probably immediately tell me his connection  :lol)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37998 on: December 09, 2020, 10:35:08 PM »
that was just peter's flamboyantly gay uncle that the family disowned

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37999 on: December 09, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »
Lies. You know. I really like the guy who turned into a vampire. Was obsessed with that girl Felicia or something? Was a very goth-esque feeling relationship. Again very vague memories from the cartoon show. Seemed like a pretty difficult nemesis to Spidey too.

Oh god. That reminds me that Jared Leto is playing him in a standalone movie.  :-\

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38000 on: December 10, 2020, 03:29:46 AM »
real edit: Well what about that weird guy who was really into nature? Had like a fake mane or something. I remember him from the 90s show and I can't think of any connection to Parker. (you nerds will probably immediately tell me his connection  :lol)

Kraven the hunter?

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38001 on: December 10, 2020, 03:30:49 AM »

Kraven the hunter?

That's him. Lion mane guy.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #38002 on: December 10, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
Mysterio and Electro didn't have any connection to him, or Birdman?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38004 on: December 10, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »
So who wants a Buzz Lightyear origin story?
https://twitter.com/MurrellDan/status/1337195483635257346

Who wants 10 Star Wars shows?

What's that? A spin off of the UP dog DUG? Well of course, only on Disney+
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38005 on: December 10, 2020, 08:00:12 PM »
KANG THE CONQUOR

Black panther not being recast. 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38006 on: December 10, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
So who wants a Buzz Lightyear origin story?
https://twitter.com/MurrellDan/status/1337195483635257346

Who wants 10 Star Wars shows?

What's that? A spin off of the UP dog DUG? Well of course, only on Disney+

So missing the point, Buzz is just some dumb space dude in his lore.  The interesting part of the character is him being a toy.  Disney continuing to be trash.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38007 on: December 10, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »

WandaVision looks amazing

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38008 on: December 10, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38009 on: December 10, 2020, 10:27:25 PM »
Yeah I'm so bored of all of this.

ShutUp

« Reply #38010 on: December 10, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »
While looking forward to these I still can't help but think "we lost Daredevil for these shows". Daredevil had its flaws but damn I loved the darker tone and smaller, street level shit going on.

And even if they someday bring it back with the same core cast, its not going to be anywhere close to as dark being on Disney Plus. Certainly not going to get scenes like Fisk repeatedly ramming someone's head in with a car door, causing the head to decapitate.

Oh well. Always have those three seasons on Netflix  :lawd

paprikastaude

« Reply #38011 on: December 10, 2020, 11:31:42 PM »
It started good but those Netflix Mahvel shows also went to shit pretty quickly.

Tasty

« Reply #38012 on: December 10, 2020, 11:41:02 PM »
It started good but those Netflix Mahvel shows also went to shit pretty quickly.

DD s3 was GOAT of them all, honestly

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38013 on: December 10, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »
DD would've been fun if it was 6 to 8 episodes.
So much shit nobody cared about in it.

Similar thing for Punisher, but that also had the problem of making Frank some kind of noble soldier bullshit, when he works better when he's a piece of shit.

The tone though has nothing to do with the regular MCU (at least the ones i've seen) so this is just more desperation.

ShutUp

« Reply #38014 on: December 10, 2020, 11:42:16 PM »
Daredevil stayed the most consistent for me. Season two had a bit of a dip as they juggled too much trying to tell a story across the season plus some setting up for that Defenders miniseries but seasons 1 and 3 were really good.

Bebpo

« Reply #38015 on: December 11, 2020, 12:05:50 AM »
Mostly just interested if these "official MCU shows" are less budget, boring and stretched out than the Netflix ones were. Daredevil S1 was good, but most of the shows were like 3-4 eps too long.

I'm hoping these are shorter and tighter and don't put me to sleep.

Any trailers for the Star Wars stuff? Or just the Marvel stuff? Also is the Loki show an X-men spinoff? TVA sure sounds like the Mojoverse.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38016 on: December 11, 2020, 05:49:30 AM »
Also is the Loki show an X-men spinoff? TVA sure sounds like the Mojoverse.

tva is uhhhhh time variance authority or some shit.

Basically it looks like its going to be Loki: Timecop which is actually a pretty fucking great tv show concept.

Quantum leap, but with a manipulative shape changing bastard

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38017 on: December 11, 2020, 10:28:11 AM »
That's probably 1) due to the street level scope and 2) it just started production.  She is going to be in Captain Marvel 2 so I don't think they will skimp on the tv series.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38018 on: December 11, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »
WTF Kim Ki Duk died of Corona.  :-\

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #38019 on: December 11, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
Disney trying to get out of all those lame contracts with all those lames actors now that they have spiderman rights. lol

Tasty

« Reply #38021 on: December 11, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
Honestly I'm considering odds on Stankey and/or Killar being out this time next year.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38022 on: December 11, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »
It's just such a stunningly brain-dead move.

Not that anything else to do with HBO Max has been particularly intelligent to begin with.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #38023 on: December 11, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
Idiots on one side, up their own ass creatives on the other.

If this isn't still an easy choice, then there's no helping you. :trumps

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38024 on: December 11, 2020, 03:47:05 PM »
That is my strong belief.  Not because the movie industry needs it, but because we humans need cinema, as a collective experience.
"cinema" is the film itself, not what is being projected or displayed on.
90% of "cinema" is not enjoyed on the big screen, because most movies in history are not currently (corona aside) in a theater at any given moment.
Any movie that isn't currently new, is enjoyed at home on TV or on dvd or whatever it may be.

This is just dog shit to me, and i understand the economic angle, although i also don't care much bout that, i think the coagulation of money into a handful of 300m$ projects is stupid and negative anyway, as much as i am looking forward to Dune, i really don't care that much if in the future, projects of this scale won't be as prevalent anymore.
If i think about my top 10 movies of all time, maybe 2 have a very significant budget, and certainly nothing on the scale of the ridiculous shit we're seen nowadays, with absolutely vapid trash like Capeshit costing a quarter of a billion+.

Again, i understand the economics at play, but from a personal perspective, i don't see that much of a loss.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38025 on: December 11, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
Yeah, maybe if you live in LA or London, your theater experience is great, i dunno, but personally i've had mostly absolute shitty experiences at the cinema, both in terms of rude public, as well as just plain bad screens, bad projections, wrong audio mixing etc.
I can't travel up to the best cinema in Milan, just to watch a movie.

On top of that i just have a pet peeve (perhaps somewhat irrational) with just the blatant waste of money in some of these productions.
BR2077 was great, but it didn't need to spend millions to have a digital recreation of Sean Young, you could've gotten a look alike and people would've got it, or use some other cheap creative trick (even leave her in shadow with her android eyes shining through or whatever).
The Irishman didn't need to spend millions and millions on a complete gimmick that is at best just distracting (because you're thinking about the effect, before the story) and at worst comical, like seeing a supposedly 40s DeNiro move like a 75 y/o.
Meanwhile Dark (the TV show) showed the same characters at different life stages, using different actors, and everybody immediately got it, because of great casting.

It feels like an obscene waste of money for complete gimmicks.
But i can concede that perhaps the history of VFX has always moved and evolved in this manner.  :yeshrug
I just struggle to think of a recent movie that cost that kind of numbers, and justified its choice with artistic merits.
These aren't Apocalypse Now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38026 on: December 11, 2020, 08:52:40 PM »
I understand where Vileneuve is coming from as an artist. But if I look at movie theatres here the big chains haven't upgraded their screens in like a decade.
Some have simply added a Dolby Vision or 4DX set-up to one of their halls. Overall though my LG OLED has a better contrast and picture than most of their screens.

The cinemas got sort of lucky that a few big franchises like The Avengers and Fast & Furious blew up. But new Star Wars and spin offs of popular films already showed that there was an end in sight for this new 'boom'.
They tried 3D glasses, bet big on China, comic book movies and finally nostalgia reboots to keep audiences engaged but it was never going to last and at some point their bag of tricks would be exhausted.

I would've liked to have been able to go and see Tenet on the big screen but I wasn't going to risk my life over it.
To me it seems like cinemas are the arcades and streaming services are the consoles. One is destined to overtake the other, not a question of if, simply when.

There will always be fans but the pandemic and the convenience of a streaming service along with high quality and cheap 4k panels will be the death blow to most of the movie threatre business.
I can't think of any technology trick or movie going experience that will reverse the trend.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38027 on: December 11, 2020, 09:01:30 PM »
What I don't get about the theater vs streaming battle.

When creators are like "fuck you, this has to be seen in a theater, it's beautiful art!", did they miss that these movies are streaming day & date with the theater releases?. I mean for that "art" argument, the movies are still going to be there in theaters for people who want to see them on the big screen for the cinema experience. They aren't losing the theater release. These aren't straight to video/streaming only.

At the end it's just money. People say all kinds of shit, but all people care about is fucking with their ticket sales and residuals. Which is fair and WB really fucked over a lot of the contracted people in these movies. But the "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS IN THE THEATER" argument has always been so bs. It's like ok, so after the 3 month theater release, there's no point in ever watching your movie I guess?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38028 on: December 11, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
I think the safe assumption is that people ain't gonna see shit in theaters if they can watch it at home, especially if it's free on a streaming service they already have.

It's like going to the Arcade when you have an NES at home. "But the Arcade version is superior, this is the way it's meant to be played!" People don't care.
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38029 on: December 11, 2020, 10:53:33 PM »
It's a bunch of bullshit from entertainment businessmen with pretenses of being artists.  I still 100% want to see Dune on the big screen and have not yet ruled it out, but I also don't want to take unnecessary risks for it, especially all for the purposes of making some other people wealthy.

Bebpo

« Reply #38030 on: December 12, 2020, 01:08:43 AM »
I dunno, either theaters are gonna die or not in the next 6-12 months. I don't think a few movies landing on streaming will make a difference on that.

I was pretty surprised Marvel is pushing Black Widow out in May theaterical. I guess we'll see what the numbers are then?

My take is that once most people who want to be vaccinated are vaccinated, hopefully by the fall, that people will go back out to the theaters to see movies in the same capacity as before since they don't have to worry about covid and theaters are more a social thing with friends/dates/family anyhow. So I think theaters will be fine after that point, but they do have to survive until then to not go bankrupt.

Coax

« Reply #38031 on: December 12, 2020, 01:10:17 AM »
I feel a bit sad for all the people who didn't get to experience films on the big screen in decent cinemas that would play old prints. It's one thing to have some franchise joint with the latest blockbuster and another to experience things like Hamlet in 70mm in an audience of film lovers.

Saw most of Miyazaki's work on film. Those kind of experiences are lovely.

Bebpo

« Reply #38032 on: December 12, 2020, 01:12:43 AM »
I enjoy big theatrical showings, including retro revival stuff or watching Hateful 8 on 35mm.

But for the last decade I probably watch the majority of "films" on my ipad in bed with stereo sound even though I have a full fancy tv and 5.1 setup. I kind have stopped caring about the visual detail in movies as I've gotten older and can still appreciate good cinematography/direction and just good movies even on a small tablet.

If they did day 1 streaming of new films as a normal thing going forward I'd probably still watch movies in theaters if friends are going as a social viewing thing. But if my friends weren't going to see something and I wanted to see it I'd rather just stream it than go solo to a theater.

Like I ain't gonna get anyone to see Kong v Godzilla with me. I was there day 1 solo in the theater for King of the Monsters. I'm more than happy to watch Kong v Godzilla at home.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38033 on: December 12, 2020, 07:29:21 AM »
The "bu-bu-but the experience" argument has always rung hollow, because most people don't go to glitzy ass red carpet premieres where opening night is a legit event, and honestly quentin tarantino in particular should fucking know how the majority of people watch the majority of films based on his work history in a fucking video rental store which was also where he acquired most of his knowledge of film.

BUT:
Having said that, I sure as shit wouldn't want to just take studio executives word on how well things have done, which is what the streaming option represents. When you have actual reported box office ticket sales and can still fudge the figures turning something that did millions of dollars of revenue more than its production costs into a big on paper for the purposes of taxes and residuals flop, what are you gonna be seeing by the studios when they're literally the only people who have access to view numbers?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38034 on: December 12, 2020, 08:21:33 AM »
Cinemas are for chumps, I like being able to pause the film when I go for a piss and I never watch films sober :rash
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38035 on: December 12, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »
Edward Norton, a TRUE artist!

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/edward-norton-spielberg-netflix-theaters-destroying-movies-1202181698/
They should just make a movie about this.

Tom Cruise & Edward Norton are two movie fanatics who hunt and kill people that watch movies on their crappy phones and Chinese tablets because David Fincher tells them to.

Think Nightcrawler.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38036 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
Disney’s Investor Day Spent 4 Hours Telling Theaters That They Are Mere Middle Men

Domestic movie theaters are under siege from COVID-19 and from their studio suppliers, not necessarily in that order. On a marathon December 10 Investor Day produced by Disney, the company that provided nearly 40 percent of the 2019 domestic box office, it delivered what passes for upbeat news in the year 2020: Disney’s biggest titles will go to theaters.

Here’s what Disney didn’t say: It didn’t say theaters were the premiere outlet for Disney content. In fact, the presentations made almost no effort to differentiate theatrical releases from those movies and series that will premiere on Disney+. That’s where it’s all going to wind up, the better to achieve streaming-brand “penetration” — a word Disney executives used with the same enthusiasm once reserved for “content.”

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38037 on: December 12, 2020, 08:33:53 PM »
The whole Disney investor day thing felt like all the worst aspects of corporate briefings rolled into one.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38038 on: December 12, 2020, 08:55:29 PM »
Nah man.  Haven't seen a corporate press conference that exciting since Nintendo's unforgettable 2004 E3.

Tasty

« Reply #38039 on: December 13, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
Nah man.  Haven't seen a corporate press conference that exciting since Nintendo's unforgettable 2004 E3.

E3 2004 had "Untitled GameCube Zelda game" but E3 2006 was their strongest showing overall IMO. :trumps They played it well keeping pretty much all games and details under wraps until then.