Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4170823 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38100 on: December 21, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »
I think Seventh Seal is one of the weaker ones from him, i didn't like it all that much, i even prefer Virgin Spring to it, when it comes to his costume stuff.

Through a Glass Darkly, The Silence, Cries and Whispers, Fanny & Alexander (full version though) and Scenes from a Marriage (also full version, plus Sarabande) are probably my top choices, off the top of my head.

Echo i'd start with Wild Strawberries and go from there, but i'd leave Persona for later on, since it's bit more abstract, compared to his other stuff.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38101 on: December 21, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
Persona's soundtrack is bumping tho.

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38103 on: December 22, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
https://collider.com/jared-leto-denzel-washington-the-little-things-image-hbo-max/amp/

I forgot Morbius was a thing and is supposedly coming out in 4 months :lol

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38104 on: December 22, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
Persona's soundtrack is bumping tho.

Memories of a School

Time

I love Persona 3 so so much  :preach

team filler

• filler
  • filler

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38106 on: December 22, 2020, 01:49:16 PM »
Fuck man shit looks good I hope its good too I love the first one (I mean who doesnt)
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38107 on: December 22, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »
Oh shit, that's too far, we don't be talking about the hungry babies like that.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38108 on: December 22, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »
thought it was dr umar getting his beared trimmed at first  :titus

might pay cindy to make some dr umar emoticons  :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #38109 on: December 22, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

WB's second Theater+HBO Max movie is hitting January 29. Looks pretty good. The director (John Lee Hancock) has a spotty record tho (The Blind Side, Snow White and the Huntsmen, Saving Mr. Banks) though I did enjoy The Rookie and The Founder.

Tasty

« Reply #38110 on: December 22, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/21/movies/patty-jenkins-on-wonder-woman-1984.html

We’ll see what happens. I really don’t know. I know that I’d love to do the third one if the circumstances were right and there was still a theatrical model possible. I don’t know that I would if there wasn’t.

Patty Jenkins got paid off to not shit-talk HBO Max to the tune of $10 mil and she's still bailing on the next Wonder Woman if it's the same situation. :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38111 on: December 22, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
It's just talk to get more money for the next one.  The whole situation is just scummy people being scum bags to each other. 

Tasty

« Reply #38112 on: December 22, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
It's just talk to get more money for the next one.  The whole situation is just scummy people being scum bags to each other. 

I think that's being disingenuous. It's not impossible some of these filmmakers are genuine in their fondness for the theatrical experience. Something sparked inside them when they were kids that led them to want to make movies. I'm sure the money doesn't hurt, though. But you have to persist until you're successful, and it's less likely you'd do that if you're only in it for the money.

Have you seen the movie Cinema Paradiso?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38113 on: December 22, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
Nah, they would all jump at the chance to do a big-budget streaming TV show which is void of any theatrical experience.  Once the money is sorted out they will all be mum about the theatrical experience.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38114 on: December 22, 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure its the streaming services blocking the day one binge releases now, as they can string a 2 month sub out of it, especially when there's little else available to justify keeping the sub (Nu-Star Trek, Mandalorian, The Boys S2)

Tasty

« Reply #38115 on: December 22, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
Anyways I'm reading about the '88 writer's strike cause I fell down a Wiki hole, and:

The horror film Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers narrowly avoided the strike. Writer Alan B. McElroy had only 11 days in which to come up with the film's story and subsequently write the script. McElroy did just this and managed to turn the script in just hours before the strike commenced.[9]

:lol That explains so much.

...So what's the excuse for 5, 6, etc.'s scripts? :hmm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38116 on: December 22, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »

WB's second Theater+HBO Max movie is hitting January 29. Looks pretty good. The director (John Lee Hancock) has a spotty record tho (The Blind Side, Snow White and the Huntsmen, Saving Mr. Banks) though I did enjoy The Rookie and The Founder.
Damn this looks fantastic

I'm sure there's some genuine sentiment in their backing of the "cinema experience."  But it also comes across kind of out of touch since most of America lives in suburbia where that experience is far from ideal.

I do think people like Villeneuve are wrong when claiming that there isn't enough money in streaming to fund blockbusters though.   I think he's dead wrong actually.

And whether they are being "honest" or not it's incredibly difficult for anyone to not be biased towards what they perceive will make them more money; and they are all also reacting to potentially losing some pay due to the WB decision.
Sometimes those guys need a dose of reality

Funnily enough I think that people who've made it and don't have to worry about the money like Tom Cruise really enjoy that big screen / theater experience as a movie junkie and it's a genuine affection for cinema.
With others I'm not sure. Villeneuve is worried about his position I suppose, losing that auteurship about what he creates or seeing it further diminished to 'what works for streaming at home'.

Sicario was a hit but they went with a cheap sequel without him as a director that kinda ruined everything it had going for it.
Blade Runner 2049 was a fantastic film but a commercial flop. A lot was riding on DUNE for Villeneuve. Directors only get to make so many movies and he ain't exactly on the Disney side of film business nor does he have the clout that Nolan has.
Villeneuve always cared more about his 'art' and less about the commercial success while Nolan managed to mix the two quite well.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38117 on: December 22, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »
Denzel  :ohyeah

Might have to give Out of Time a watch tonight, I love that movie.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38118 on: December 23, 2020, 05:42:34 AM »
American Psycho - Fantastic. So easy to watch. Never gets boring. I don't even feel like going into the themes of the movie. Just a trip watching Bateman do his thing. The business cards shit. The over obsession of ones looks. Him always give a little skinny on specific artists. It goes down so smoothly.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38119 on: December 23, 2020, 06:46:59 AM »
Halloween: Resurrection is 100% worth it for the Busta Rhymes vs Michael Myers scenes, which are fucking hilarious

Tasty

« Reply #38120 on: December 23, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »
Anyways I'm reading about the '88 writer's strike cause I fell down a Wiki hole, and:

The horror film Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers narrowly avoided the strike. Writer Alan B. McElroy had only 11 days in which to come up with the film's story and subsequently write the script. McElroy did just this and managed to turn the script in just hours before the strike commenced.[9]

4 got a bunch of rewrites and reshoots anyway though. They just had the barest of bare bones in before the strike, which is basically just Halloween 1 but with Laurie's daughter instead of Laurie. 5's excuse is they had to start immediately without a finished script (I believe 5 was released in just under 12 months from 4) and also finished without a finished script. 6's excuse is Harvey Weinstein.

:fabulous

Knew I could count on you for the Halloween production lore, stro :bow

Tasty

« Reply #38121 on: December 23, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/legendary-fight-warner-bros-hbo-max-save-dune-streaming-1234606250/amp/

Dune """"saved"""" from HBO Max potentially. I figured this was the most likely outcome, considering WB still assuredly wants Part 2 as well. Godzilla vs Kong will still probably be a dual release, but AT&T's gonna have to pony up the same amount or more as Netflix almost did.

Tasty

« Reply #38122 on: December 23, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »

4 got a bunch of rewrites and reshoots anyway though. They just had the barest of bare bones in before the strike, which is basically just Halloween 1 but with Laurie's daughter instead of Laurie. 5's excuse is they had to start immediately without a finished script (I believe 5 was released in just under 12 months from 4) and also finished without a finished script. 6's excuse is Harvey Weinstein.

:fabulous

When I first saw the original, I was dating a girl and took her to a theater in Boston to see it. We were the only ones in the place, but she was climbing all over me. When Halloween II came out, I got completely blitzed and saw it, and I had the best time. So when the director, Dwight Little, asked me to write the script, I jumped at the chance. Here I was going to bring the Shape — Michael Myers — back to life. It's a piece of film history. He's truly an icon.[10]

What the fuck. :lol

Goddamn I wish screenwriting gigs were that fucking easy these days :snoop

Tasty

« Reply #38123 on: December 23, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
John Carpenter was approached by Cannon Films, who had just finished 1986's release of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, to write and direct Halloween 4. Debra Hill planned to produce the film, while Carpenter teamed up with Dennis Etchison who, under the pseudonym Jack Martin, had written novelizations of both Halloween II (1981) and Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) to write a script to Halloween 4. Originally, Joe Dante was Carpenter's choice in mind of director for the project.[7]

However, Akkad rejected the Etchison script, calling it "too cerebral" and insisting that any new Halloween sequel must feature Myers as a flesh and blood killer.[8] In an interview, Etchison explained how he received the phone call informing him of the rejection of his script. Etchison said, "I received a call from Debra Hill and she said, 'Dennis, I just wanted you to know that John and I have sold our interest in the title 'Halloween' and unfortunately, your script was not part of the deal."[5]

We could have had a Carpenter co-written, Joe Dante-directed "cerebral" Halloween 4 if not for Akkad. :mindblown

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38124 on: December 23, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
Out of nowhere Daft Punk dropped a 'new' album

TRON: Legacy - The Complete Edition

Includes 9 previously unreleased songs  :whoo

https://open.spotify.com/album/3AMXFnwHWXCvNr5NCCpLZI?si=aR6KLNQ1SjGKus0CQcNZyg
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38125 on: December 23, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
Been listening for a few days, so tight. :lawd

Now we need R3C0NF1GUR3D Part 2 :mouf

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38126 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »
Will listen.

Still want the rumored remix of RAM that was talked about around uhhhhhh, 2014? Lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38128 on: December 23, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »
The only crossover that Space Jam 2 needs...

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38129 on: December 23, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »

Kosinski was talking this up a few months back, and this release suggests to me that he's still tight with Daft Punk.

DISNEY PLEASE

TRON 3

KOSINSKI DIRECTING

DAFT PUNK SCORING

DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF IT'S DISNEY+

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38130 on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
Will listen.

Still want the rumored remix of RAM that was talked about around uhhhhhh, 2014? Lol
They were going to do a sequel focused on Olivia Wilde's character(!) called TRON: Ascension with much of the old cast and Daft Punk involved and that was put on hold in 2015 right before shooting after Tommorowland bombed.
It was teased in the short film that was part of the Blu Ray extra's: TRON: The Next Day. But originally shot as 'TRON 3 Teaser' according to production credits.

Now they're apparently working on a new sequel with Jared Letro called TRON: Ares. Focusing on a new character that was derived from the script of TRON: Ascension.
The original writers and producers soured on the project so there's a new director and a new writer. Only Letro has officially confirmed his involvement with the project and in 2020 Variety reported that Garth Davis was the new director.
Disney didn't announce it at their investors things though so it's either canned again or still a long way off.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38131 on: December 23, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
leto  :-\

Tasty

« Reply #38132 on: December 23, 2020, 02:34:32 PM »
Despite all that, with no official-official Disney announcement, they still have a chance to get things on track, do the right thing, and get Kosinski instead of they guy who did that Rooney Mara Mary Magdeline film...

leto  :-\

Yeah...

Tasty

« Reply #38133 on: December 23, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
The Next Day was so hype too. I was so excited Cillian Murphy had such a key role (Dillinger's son), if unimportant to the main plot of Legacy. Seeing them actually build on that in the teaser for the next one was so exciting.

And the idea of Quorra in the real world was exciting too.

Now Tron 3 is gonna be the Jared Leto Show, whoopee. :shaq2

Tasty

« Reply #38134 on: December 23, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38135 on: December 23, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »
Sony just has no business sense. A movie streaming service would complement their PlayStation business well.

Instead you will get a new Sonic movie, Smurfs 3 and a Bond cinematic universe exclusively in theaters.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38136 on: December 23, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
Sony just has no business sense. A movie streaming service would complement their PlayStation business well.

Instead you will get a new Sonic movie, Smurfs 3 and a Bond cinematic universe exclusively in theaters.

PS Vue could have been something special, I even gave it a shot at one point, but classic Sony mismanagement bungled things and classic Sony shortsightedness killed the whole project despite having 700k+ paying subscribers. :-\

Tasty

« Reply #38137 on: December 23, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
700k is abysmal.

Better than 0 and being completely left behind in the streaming wars. :trumps

Also I disagree that's "abysmal." YouTube TV, the most successful OTT cord cutting service and PS Vue's biggest competitor back in the day, has 3 million paying subscribers as of two months ago, for comparison.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38138 on: December 23, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
The Sonic Movie was good

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38139 on: December 23, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »
Sony Pictures movies is super hit and miss, but Sony Pictures TV is kind of killing it and has been for awhile.

The Shield
Stargate
Robot Chicken
Damages
Breaking Bad
Community
Shark Tank
Justified
Hannibal
The Blacklist
The Goldbergs
Dominion
Outlander
Better Call Saul
Bloodline
Sneaky Pete
Preacher
The Get Down
The Tick
StartUp
Timeless
The Crown
Snatch   
S.W.A.T.
Future Man
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
Cobra Kai
Deadly Class
Black Monday
The Boys

...that'd be a pretty good streaming service line up, ngl

Tasty

« Reply #38140 on: December 23, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Yeah I got nothing bad to say about Sony TV.

Spider-Man fucked their film division over hard, tho, I feel. They're constantly trying to recapture the original trilogy's success as well as keep the rights. It leaves little room for them to branch out and focus on other things.

Even now they're still dedicating two of their release slots to the ashes of their failed Sinister Six effort: Venom 2 and Morbius, both 2021. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #38141 on: December 23, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #38142 on: December 23, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #38143 on: December 23, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
They've done it before and they'll surely split off and do it again.

Seems MGM's current investors just want to cash out for whatever reason.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38144 on: December 23, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »

theatres are basically in a fucked death spiral even without covid, and even if they werent the only things making real money are blumhouse jumpscares and marvel formula
:idont

Tasty

« Reply #38145 on: December 23, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »

theatres are basically in a fucked death spiral even without covid, and even if they werent the only things making real money are blumhouse jumpscares and marvel formula
:idont

I bring up the investors wanting to bail because I believe I read an article (will look for it) that said they wanted to cash out and sell MGM before Spectre came out, but the CEO convinced them to hold off.

But yeah I suppose with COVID and streaming the CEO couldn't win the argument as easily this time.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38146 on: December 23, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38147 on: December 24, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »

Why did this movie not get made noooooooooooo
What

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38148 on: December 25, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »

Ah ok. So I did recognize a few tracks and looking at the wikipedia I realize now that all the tracks were out on one format or another (or store). But now they are all included in one package.

Sunrise Prelude was previously available on Nokia Music Store. Whoa. I never knew Nokia even bothered with such a thing  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38149 on: December 25, 2020, 05:45:16 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/22/hollywood-giant-mgm-puts-itself-up-for-sale-at-5bn

Hollywood studio MGM puts itself up for sale at $5bn

Studio behind James Bond franchise looks to cash in on rocketing prices for content amid TV streaming boom

Oof
So that'll either be WB(?) and they force Nolan to reboot it with John David Washington or Tom Hardy.
Or Disney casts Tom Holland(?), an animated Bond series, Avengers Cameo and 3 TV shows only on Disney+.

I'd better hurry up my search for a 4K HDR Blu-Ray of Casino Royale before the Mouse stuffs everything in their vault.
They probably got wind of that rumor that Disney is considering an 'adult' Disney+.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38150 on: December 25, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »
Like an hour in to ww84 of its 2 1/2 hour runtime and its pretty  abysmal.
It tanked quite quickly on Rottentomatoes too  :-\
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38151 on: December 25, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
Currently 69%. (nice)
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38152 on: December 25, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
Pixar's Soul is pretty damn good.

Very sentimental, as you would expect from the director of Up and Inside Out. It does have a very similar feel to Inside Out, so if you liked that film, you'll enjoy Soul.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38153 on: December 25, 2020, 07:44:43 PM »

Very sentimental, as you would expect from the director of Up and Inside Out. It does have a very similar feel to Inside Out, so if you liked that film, you'll enjoy Soul.

Do I have to pay $20 for this like Mulan or is just plain-ass Disney+?
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38155 on: December 25, 2020, 10:03:53 PM »

Do I have to pay $20 for this like Mulan or is just plain-ass Disney+?
Just regular Disney+
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38156 on: December 25, 2020, 10:13:13 PM »
I can't say WW was very good.  Lots of the writing was super super clumsy (like the message about truth in the opening scene doesn't even mesh with the idea that a wish is somehow not truthful) and overall, it was very uneven.  The action scenes had some pretty xmen-1-wire-fu look every once in a while. There were a lot of aspects I liked though.  The main villain was played really well.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38157 on: December 25, 2020, 11:17:44 PM »
I think it's because it's the way I wanted the movie to lean into: cheesy and surreal.  It's also what I thought they were setting up in the first mall scene as like an 80's parody movie. 

Quaker

« Reply #38158 on: December 25, 2020, 11:33:43 PM »

I'm usually a grumpy contrarian when it comes to Pixar(too much infantile pandering compared to something like Ghibli for my taste) but I quite liked this. Surprisingly, there's a really good Karen joke.

The music also kind of slaps...a lot. Looked it up afterwards and turns out it's by
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross?
[close]
:leon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38159 on: December 25, 2020, 11:59:13 PM »
Tokyo Godfathers was very good