Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140833 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38340 on: January 03, 2021, 06:11:47 AM »
A wrestling fan :trumps
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38341 on: January 03, 2021, 07:12:03 AM »
I dont even know who max landis is

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38342 on: January 03, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »

Putting aside controversy, you really don't need to. He's not notable in the grand scheme of things. He did a pretty good job of marketing himself in nerd circles though. even was popping up on IGN back when Greg Miller was there.

But I don't recall any of his scripts turning into good movies.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38343 on: January 03, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »
I liked Chronicle :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #38344 on: January 03, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
Please, dont give me this condescending bollocks, i don't claim to be right, but if i didn't want a discussion, i wouldn't be posting.
And i assure you i'm not angry, i couldn't stand Max Landis well before any of the MeToo stuff came out, and i think all of his stuff (that've seen) is dog shit.

I was in a bad mood yesterday and was taking it out on you a little. I apologize. That was shitty of me.

EDIT: To be more clear, the issue isn't the rewrite, it's the message telling people "the evil is defeated" because it gives the wrong message, as explained above.

I think the director's message is more nuanced than that. I would read the full THR article.

Tasty

« Reply #38345 on: January 03, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »

Gaspar Noe art shit :jeb

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38346 on: January 03, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »
He loves that song, eh? Me too  :)

edit: I thought a remix of I Feel Love was in Climax too, but nah. It was a different Giorgio Moroder track
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:46:20 PM by EchoRin »

Tasty

« Reply #38347 on: January 03, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »
He loves that song, eh? Me too  :)

edit: I thought a remix of I Feel Love was in Climax too, but nah. It was a different Giorgio Moroder track

I recognized it from, I think, Studio 54: Director's Cut. It's just one of those songs that lingers in your memory even if you can't exactly place it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38348 on: January 03, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »

He's a nerd with a famous dad.
dog

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #38349 on: January 03, 2021, 07:48:29 PM »
I rewatched Tombstone for the first time in about 25 years. I remember loving it, or at least the Doc Holliday parts. I had forgotten how overwrought and corny the drama was in it. The death scenes in particular were like a throwback to 1930’s Hollywood. It was comical. Obviously, you overlook those parts and it’s just a fantastic distilled Western. But it really could’ve been so much more.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #38350 on: January 03, 2021, 10:55:55 PM »
decided to watch shadow in the cloud while playing football manager, and i still feel like i wasted time. fuck me that was bad. no titties shown.  :maf

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38351 on: January 04, 2021, 03:17:18 AM »
decided to watch shadow in the cloud while playing football manager, and i still feel like i wasted time. fuck me that was bad. no titties shown.  :maf

Football Manager is only rated E, so I'm not sure what you expected. Maybe there's some mods, though...
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38352 on: January 04, 2021, 11:15:49 AM »

:dislike

nudemacusers

« Reply #38353 on: January 05, 2021, 09:01:07 PM »

vaccarello is killing it... last fall was full of naughty latex items :freeze
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38354 on: January 06, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »
Dark Waters (2019) - Enjoyable legal drama that's very Mark Ruffalo. Fascinating case that sometimes doesn't quite fit the movie format as this is a very long case. I found myself sort of losing interest at times in the second half (ironically probably what DuPont wanted themselves. To have people lose interest due to the length of the process). At times the movie takes a brief look at some years. I almost would have preferred going very brief on them with perhaps just a headline to sum them up and then take a little deeper dive on some of the other years. You'll understand if you watched or will watch the movie. The scene including a real life victim was kind of goofy too. His inclusion was fine, but the dialogue was corny (pardon me if it actually went down like this in real life though  :lol).
 I like how the film presents the various pressures on people. The main farmer who comes to Ruffalo to create a case against DuPont. How DuPont sort of owns the town  where all this shit is happening. People being angry that the farmer/lawyer are suing the biggest employer. The tension is there. And it weighs on people. And on top of that you see the real long lasting damage caused around there. It ain't pretty.
Worth a watch for sure. I would be heavily interested in a documentary too (which maybe does exist already. I haven't checked)
-----

Matinee (2019, Japan) - A romance film that bites off more than it can chew at times, but has a nice twist and a very mature and sophisticated air to it. You have a lead female who is a Japanese reporter in France and lead male who is a Japanese virtuoso on the classical/acoustic guitar. They meet at one of his shows in Japan and so begins a courtship that is mostly long distance. I find the writing and acting most at home when it's Japanese people interacting and talking to each other. The movie takes place in France and New York too and at times it's achingly obvious that the script was written by someone who is not fully at home with those languages.
The twist is pretty good at how this relationship turns. Believable enough in how it occurs and then understandable how the miscommunication changes the said relationship. I like how our main two characters aren't innocent. There are aspects of cheating and divorce and unhappy marriages. Professional failure and redemption that ties in with the relationships.
Enjoyable enough if you wish to see a romance film about Japanese people in their 40s. For the "I have a good job and education and I enjoy my coffee while discussing mature matters, though I won't let that stop me from love making me do some foolish things" crowd.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:33:20 PM by EchoRin »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #38355 on: January 07, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »
I rewatched Tombstone for the first time in about 25 years. I remember loving it, or at least the Doc Holliday parts. I had forgotten how overwrought and corny the drama was in it. The death scenes in particular were like a throwback to 1930’s Hollywood. It was comical. Obviously, you overlook those parts and it’s just a fantastic distilled Western. But it really could’ve been so much more.
Then remember it's the good one in comparison to Wyatt Earp and that's despite becoming Kurt Russell directed partway through shooting. Funnier is how Kevin Costner famously used Hollywood pull to change Tombstone's casting multiple times, which is now regarded as one of its better parts.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #38356 on: January 10, 2021, 12:03:41 AM »

This shits gonna make me cry so fucking hard

Update: I was right

Tasty

« Reply #38357 on: January 10, 2021, 09:21:05 PM »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3647482/21-horror-movies-cant-wait-see-2021/

Looking forward to:

- Malignant (dir. James Wan)
- Halloween Kills
- Resident Evil
- Last Night in Soho (dir. Edgar Wright)

Will probably watch Candyman though it looks like trash.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38358 on: January 11, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »
Psycho Goreman :rejoice
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38359 on: January 11, 2021, 10:16:20 AM »
Psycho Goreman :rejoice

I was disappointed by The Void. :larry

nudemacusers

« Reply #38360 on: January 11, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
the void was 90 minutes too long, could have been summed up by a poster tbh.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #38361 on: January 11, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
:obama

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38362 on: January 11, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
Maybe you didn't notice that the name of the movie is Psycho Goreman.
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #38363 on: January 11, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
that title will look great on a limited edition mondo print hanging above my bachelor pad computer desk.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38364 on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:09 PM »
Maybe you didn't notice that the name of the movie is Psycho Goreman.

I saw that and I'm now actually excited to watch it. 

Bebpo

« Reply #38365 on: January 11, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3647482/21-horror-movies-cant-wait-see-2021/

Looking forward to:

- Malignant (dir. James Wan)
- Halloween Kills
- Resident Evil
- Last Night in Soho (dir. Edgar Wright)

Will probably watch Candyman though it looks like trash.

Some cool stuff this year.

Really looking forward to The Green Knight.

Tasty

« Reply #38366 on: January 11, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »
I think Laurie's gonna die in this one and her daughter's gonna have to triumph in the last one.

Basically TLJ it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38367 on: January 11, 2021, 02:58:56 PM »
If Rise of the Myerswalker doesn’t have Curse of Thorn and Stonehenge, then why are they even wasting our time?
©@©™

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #38369 on: January 11, 2021, 08:14:49 PM »
I forget, was 2018 the one with that weird dancer kid segment, the annoying podcast people, nonsensical doctor "twist," and the conversation about what is and is not a sandwich? :nope

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38370 on: January 11, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »

:rejoice
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #38371 on: January 11, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »

Man, I want my 7 mins back from watching that. Yeah, Noe is not for me at all.

Tasty

« Reply #38372 on: January 11, 2021, 09:01:17 PM »
I forget, was 2018 the one with that weird dancer kid segment, the annoying podcast people, nonsensical doctor "twist," and the conversation about what is and is not a sandwich? :nope

Yes, and yet, its still the second best Halloween movie. The others are that abysmal.

Halloween > Halloween II > Halloween H20 > Halloween III = Halloween 2018 > Halloween 2007 > Halloween 2 (2009) > the rest lol > the one with Busta Rhymes

:trumps It is known.

Tasty

« Reply #38373 on: January 11, 2021, 09:05:38 PM »
Man, I want my 7 mins back from watching that. Yeah, Noe is not for me at all.

It's a visual mood poem (and commercial lol.) Just feel the flow like you're on a club dance floor. :preach

Tasty

« Reply #38374 on: January 11, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »

:rejoice

The soundtrack was the best of all of them, agreed. :lawd

I use it as background music when I'm writing horror scripts. :obama

Tasty

« Reply #38375 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »
Also, honestly, Terminator 60's Laurie is just less interesting than 40's Semi-Well-Adjusted Mom Laurie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38376 on: January 11, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
:dead

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38377 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Julian Sands in Warlock :rejoice
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38378 on: January 12, 2021, 01:22:11 PM »
https://deadline.com/video/netflix-2021-movie-slate/

70 Netflix original films in 2021. Jesus Christ.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38379 on: January 12, 2021, 01:53:25 PM »
70 movies to ignore then.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #38380 on: January 12, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »
70 movies to ignore then.

For every Kissing Booth there's at least one The Irishman :trumps

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38381 on: January 12, 2021, 02:19:25 PM »
No film is worth 209 minutes of my time unfortunately.
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38382 on: January 12, 2021, 02:20:36 PM »
4 has Donald Pleasance in some of the worst special effects makeup I have ever seen. The mask was terrible. Danielle Harris was pretty fucking terrible in it. And that ending... oh man that ending.

2018 has Jibrail Nantambu, who in his 10 minutes of screen time shits all over Danielle Harris in 2 movies.

Halloween 2018 is bad because it "jettisoned" stuff from a bunch of Halloween movies (???) but 4 is great because its a shitty remake of the original.

Ok?
forgot about the kid, he was great  :lol

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38383 on: January 12, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

Hoo man. No surprise with Covid-19 still sticking around. Though skimming wikipedia, most of this is just distribution rights rather than Netflix funded projects.

Looking forward to Don't Look Up which is in February and being a Richard Linklater fan I'm curious about Apollo 10 1/2 (no release date beyond 2021).

edit:

Skimming some more and I came across something that I had, mmm, no real desire to see. I'm talking about The Guilty. You see it was an excellent little Danish film from 2018 that I felt didn't need a Hollywood remake. Essentially I had images of the Hollywood Oldboy flashing in my head. I heard that it was getting remake and thought "ah, give a try, but I don't think it will be as elegant and subdued in the right way the original was" (not that a remake is supposed to mimic the original work by rule. Shit it can go a completely different route).

However. I see that my boys Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke and Paulo Dano are in this. Heh, even Bill Burr is in this. Most of the original movie plays out over a series of telephone calls. The acting was mainly our main character and a few other people in the office. Hard to imagine with all these actors attached to the project that it will be as stripped down, but who knows. My interest is piqued. Directed by the Training Day guy and written by the dude who worked on True Detective. Take that for what you will. I've gone from someone who winced at the idea of this remake to patiently looking forward to a trailer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:11:27 PM by EchoRin »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38384 on: January 12, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
We're finally getting the Zack Snyder cut of Netflix.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #38385 on: January 12, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
No film is worth 209 minutes of my time unfortunately.

:hmm

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38386 on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »

Hoo man. No surprise with Covid-19 still sticking around. Though skimming wikipedia, most of this is just distribution rights rather than Netflix funded projects.

Looking forward to Don't Look Up which is in February and being a Richard Linklater fan I'm curious about Apollo 10 1/2 (no release date beyond 2021).

edit:

Skimming some more and I came across something that I had, mmm, no real desire to see. I'm talking about The Guilty. You see it was an excellent little Danish film from 2018 that I felt didn't need a Hollywood remake. Essentially I had images of the Hollywood Oldboy flashing in my head. I heard that it was getting remake and thought "ah, give a try, but I don't think it will be as elegant and subdued in the right way the original was" (not that a remake is supposed to mimic the original work by rule. Shit it can go a completely different route).

However. I see that my boys Jake Gyllenhaal, Ethan Hawke and Paulo Dano are in this. Heh, even Bill Burr is in this. Most of the original movie plays out over a series of telephone calls. The acting was mainly our main character and a few other people in the office. Hard to imagine with all these actors attached to the project that it will be as stripped down, but who knows. My interest is piqued. Directed by the Training Day guy and written by the dude who worked on True Detective. Take that for what you will. I've gone from someone who winced at the idea of this remake to patiently looking forward to a trailer.
Yeah the Guilty was a fun little movie, it was quite tense and well put together, but i can see room for improvement, especially if they take it a bit more seriously (which i doubt) since some of the stuff in it came off as unintentionally funny, in my opinion.

Tasty

« Reply #38387 on: January 15, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
https://news.avclub.com/clerks-3-opens-with-my-chemical-romances-welcome-to-th-1846061086

Kevin Smith can write 101 pages in 18 days, need to step my game up. :goty

Tasty

« Reply #38388 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:37 AM »
Finally watched Jay and Silent Bob Reboot tonight because of that news post. It was both better and much worse than I expected at the same time. Slightly better than Yoga Hosers due to the cameos.

The meta-ness wore out its cutesiness fast (thankfully they cut the worse offenders but still stuck them in the credits), and now it seems Clerks 3 is going meta too? Kevin Smith is doing his thing which is fine, but his best work was semi-grounded non-meta wankery BS.

I was rolling my eyes at the Stan Lee scene, when it should have been moving. Too much meta shit.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38389 on: January 16, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking “it’s really good that Kevin has other ways to make money,“ because his directing choices...oof.  More heartfelt stuff like the Holden monologue and less wacky-everything else.

I’m hoping that Reboot was simply a case of him trying to recapture Strike Back’s 90’s style of wacky comedy for Mewes as his leading man, and that Clerks 3 stays much more grounded and focused on character driven story where the better actors can sell it.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38390 on: January 16, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
I'm 99% sure Ive seen that film but can't remember a single thing about it :anhuld
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #38391 on: January 17, 2021, 02:53:39 AM »
Well finally got to see Benson & Moorhead's Synchronic. I fucking love Resolution, Spring and The Endless and was looking forward to this.

It's good, maybe even great, but I think it's definitely the weakest of the four films so far. The story concept is interesting and the direction still has that great sci-fi film w/horror tension/ambiance that their other flicks tend to have. But some aspects of the story felt a little too simplistic and I thought it puttered out at a bit at the end. Also even with this being their biggest budget film with actual stars, it feels sooooo budget. I'm glad they're always punching above their weight pushing interesting sci-fi stuff with limited budget, but it'll be nice with Moon Knight to see what they can do with a real production budget.

That being said I sure hope they get included in the writer's room for Moon Knight. I'd argue their writing and creative stories are a bigger strength than their directing style. I know for the films, unless you're James Gunn, Marvel tends to be pretty studio control, but maybe for the TV stuff they'll be more open to creator input. I gotta imagine if Feige liked their catalogue to hire them and give them Oscar Issac & Ethan Hawke then Feige probably liked their stories and would see the strength of having them on as writers for Moon Knight.

Also I guess they'll have another film before Moon Knight? I saw an interview on Synchronic from a few months back and they said they were about 3 months into a shoot on their new "film" and were quarantining with the cast & crew. I guess Moon Knight is probably like 2022 thing. Looking forward to their next flick.

If you haven't seen their previous stuff, skip Synchronic and go watch those.

Bebpo

« Reply #38392 on: January 17, 2021, 03:06:47 AM »
Also my slight woke rant is that Synchronic is a film that deals with a black man experiencing various major racial situations. That's fine, except that it's written by two middle age white guys. I like Benson & Moorhead a lot and they seem like good people with good intentions, but my personal take on creative writing whether it's videogames, tv, film, whatever in the modern era is that if you're a white dude and you are writing a script from the point of view of someone who is not white and the struggles they face as someone not white, then that is OK but you should get a good co-writer in the writer's room who does have the background of the character you are writing so they can have input on the script. I feel that makes it more legit and less cringy. But that's just my personal take.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38393 on: January 17, 2021, 04:07:29 AM »
It's not like these struggles haven't been documented first hand over and over and over with interviews and documentaries for decades. There's enough first hand accounts of the black American experience of racism that a talented writer can adapt those experiences authentically and with the right tone.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38394 on: January 17, 2021, 11:10:08 AM »
I remember liking Spring quite a bit, maybe i'll give their other films a shot.

Bebpo

« Reply #38395 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
I remember liking Spring quite a bit, maybe i'll give their other films a shot.

Their best film that got them noticed the most is The Endless, but the movie is twice as enjoyable & satisfying if you've seen Resolution first since the movies are connected.

Resolution has really heavy Lynch feel, while still being pretty funny.

I'd rank them The Endless > Spring > Resolution > Synchronic, but they're all worth watching. If they had a little more polish & budget they could be the next Rian Johnson type modern era hq writer/director filmmaker, but they're not quite there yet.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38396 on: January 17, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38397 on: January 17, 2021, 06:26:10 PM »
Not drawing this BS out over multiple episodes :rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38398 on: January 17, 2021, 06:58:41 PM »
I'm ready to blame WB for not releasing the intended 12 hour SNYDER SERIES if it sucks  :shaq2
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38399 on: January 17, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
I'm ready to blame WB for not releasing the intended 12 hour SNYDER SERIES if it sucks  :shaq2

Oh god, another 2 year fan campaign :snoop