Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4171104 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38220 on: December 28, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »
Well he and his friends need to eat and WB seems reluctant to hand back the reigns of the DC universe to Zack Snyder exclusively.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38221 on: December 28, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
Well he and his friends need to eat and WB seems reluctant to hand back the reigns of the DC universe to Zack Snyder exclusively.

Somewhat related, a DC Film exec just called the Snyder Cut, and I quote, "a storytelling cul-de-sac — a street that leads nowhere." :lol

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dc-films-future-two-batman-franchises-hbo-max-spinoffs-1234606792/

Hamada thinks he's the next Feige, we'll see how that goes.

Tasty

« Reply #38222 on: December 28, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
His wife's producing some of the movies now too. :doge It's Snyder all the way down. :snoop

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38223 on: December 28, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »
the most expensive DC movies will be designed for movie theaters just as they always have been (think Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” films, James Wan’s “Aquaman” sequel, Dwayne Johnson’s “Black Adam” film, the long-in-development Flash movie). The goal is to begin releasing four of these tentpoles in theaters a year beginning in 2022.

Coming up, for instance, Warner Bros. will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time.”

“Boiled down, it means that some characters (Wonder Woman as portrayed by Ms. Gadot, for instance) will continue their adventures on Earth 1, while new incarnations (Mr. Pattinson as ‘The Batman’) will populate Earth 2,” The Times continues. “‘The Flash,’ a film set for release in theaters in 2022, will link the two universes and feature two Batmans, with Mr. Affleck returning as one and Michael Keaton returning as the other. Mr. Keaton played Batman in 1989 and 1992.”

What the everliving fuck  :neogaf

You know what they need?

3 batmans  :batman
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38224 on: December 28, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
Remember when DC looked at Marvel in like 2013 and was like "Fuck those nerds and their multi-year expansion plans, we got this shit figured out, INSTANT CINEMATIC UNIVERSE HERE WE GO!"

And remember how it failed to meet pretty much any expectation so they had to scale back and focus on quality one-offs like the original Wonder Woman, Shazam and Joker?

Well now that enough time's past and there's new executives at the top, we can forget all those hard-learned lessons. "SIX DC MOVIES A YEAR BITCHES!!! Some have continuity with the rest, some don't! Some will be HBO Max exclusive! We're also doing HBO Max series like Marvel on Disney+! HAMADA NEEDS THAT GOLDEN BONUS BAYBEEEE"

Tasty

« Reply #38225 on: December 28, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »
The fact that The Flash movie is the linchpin to this whole multiverse attempt is hilarious since that project's been a revolving door of directors and writers going on almost a decade now, and it's still marked for two years out and has yet to enter pre-pro. :neogaf

As Hamada told The Times, “With every movie that we’re looking at now, we are thinking, ‘What’s the potential Max spinoff?’” Warner Bros. and HBO Max have already set spinoff streaming series for “The Batman” (showrunner Terrence Winter recently left the project)

"DC Films is totally creator-focused and we're absolutely SALIVATING over potential HBO Max series, but ehhh fuck that Sopranos guy, he doesn't know shit and fuck his creative impulses, we're clamping shit DOWN."

Tasty

« Reply #38226 on: December 28, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
Original Wonder Woman wasn't a one off, there was stuff shot in it that was used for set ups in BvS. But boy the events of WW84 seem to really throw a wrench into the timeline of the DCEU. Maybe it's an alt universe, too, otherwise the entire world just forgot about that whole wish thing where she broadcast to the ENTIRE WORLD ALL AT ONCE asking them to take back their wishes to save the world, but by the time of BvS, no one knows who the fuck she is and such a monumental event is never mentioned again?

No no, she took out three surveillance cameras at the start of the movie. That means she's totally incognito and unknown for the rest of the entire plot.

Also Lynda Carter/Astoria running around the world saving children for centuries and no one connected those acts to what Diana was doing in DC? :lol

Tasty

« Reply #38227 on: December 28, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »
I believe I read that according to Patty Jenkins, WW84 is canon to the Snyder Cut of Justice League and not the theatrical cut.

Which really makes me wonder a lot of things.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38228 on: December 28, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
Ok, time to watch this train wreck :dice
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38229 on: December 28, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »
When you decide canon based on who your work buddies are :dead

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38231 on: December 28, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
lmao this is absolute garbage 25 minutes in.

Holy shit, if I was WB I would ask for a refund from the hacks that produced this turd :lol
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38232 on: December 28, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »
Will they give WW her invisible plane in 3? Could be hilarious, looking at some of these effects.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38233 on: December 28, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »
Sooooo #ww84

The movie has some redeeming qualities. Pedro Pascal did a great job for one.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
For your average saturday streaming flick it is ok, but it is probably one of the worst 'Super Hero' movies in recent times.
The first 30 - 45 minutes are absolute garbage. The heist at the beginning I think is intentionally a campy 80's action scene but it just doesn't work.

The Egypt stuff is a waste. Lord goes there for some oil and does the monkey paw thing. But he does the exact same thing later with Reagan(?) in the White House.
I think it was supposed to be Reagan but he was the least convincing Reagan I have ever seen in a movie. Although granted, they don't say the man is Reagan I think so he could just be some other President.
Also WW1 fighter pilot Steve can fly jets without practice  :doge

Moving towards the ending
The Cheetah fight was dumb, it was basically not even a fight. They were just webslinging around most of the time :idont
I liked the big chaos at the end with everyone wishing for stuff to the point where the whole world goes crazy.

Gadot looks stunning in almost all her scenes but her acting and delivery of lines is meh, even less convincing then she usually is.
I don't know who cast Kristen Wiig or why.

What I also appreciated is that the movie didn't end with CG armies or some big monster fight for a change.

I'm jumping all over the place because the film does too.
I think with this material you could've made a great movie but Jenkins does not deserve the 10 million or so she got for directing this.
[close]

Overall the whole thing feels phoned in, even the "Hans Zimmer" soundtrack.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38234 on: December 28, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »
Overall the whole thing feels phoned in, even the "Hans Zimmer" soundtrack.

Literally.

It was so phoned in he didn't even bother coming up with a new track for the emotional climax for Diana's arc. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #38235 on: December 28, 2020, 05:24:19 PM »
Will they give WW her invisible plane in 3? Could be hilarious, looking at some of these effects.

They already gave it to her in this movie I thought. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #38236 on: December 28, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »
I believe I read that according to Patty Jenkins, WW84 is canon to the Snyder Cut of Justice League and not the theatrical cut.

Which really makes me wonder a lot of things.

Aquamayne is also canon to the Snyder Cut according to James Wan.

I thought that's what I was actually thinking of, not WW84, but I looked it up, and nope, it really is both of them trashing Joss's cut. :lol

"The Justice League? … No, I think that all of us DC directors tossed that out just as much as the fans did. But also, I felt that that version contradicted my first movie in many ways, and this current movie, which I was already in production on."

:mindblown

I would really like to know exactly how.

I'm putting less and less faith into what Jenkins' says as time goes on. I remember a year ago (December 2019) she was like "Ugggh I wish we hadn't delayed my movie a year, it's 100% done right now!!"

And then there's like, rushed/bad effects in the final movie and what I assume was temp music making it to the final cut (Adagio)... I'm like really? :wtf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38237 on: December 28, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
I loved it when the movie itself literally went:

"We don't know why we ended up here either... oh well, let's just go back everyone"  :lol

Also, one more dumb thing is when Max Lord is on that road in Egypt, Diana is sort of trying to talk to him and he instructs his security to kill her but....
- He hasn't seen her since the party
- He doesn't know if she's after his stone or power
- He doesn't know she's Wonder Woman

All he knows is that she's some hot chick that works at that museum he sponsors and apparently she wants to talk to him
[close]
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38238 on: December 28, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
It sounds like they were successful in hiding it!

Actual line in the movie:

"Wow, an invisible jet!" -Steve Trevor

Tasty

« Reply #38239 on: December 28, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
I loved it when the movie itself literally went:

"We don't know why we ended up here either... oh well, let's just go back everyone"  :lol

Also, one more dumb thing is when Max Lord is on that road in Egypt, Diana is sort of trying to talk to him and he instructs his security to kill her but....
- He hasn't seen her since the party
- He doesn't know if she's after his stone or power
- He doesn't know she's Wonder Woman

All he knows is that she's some hot chick that works at that museum he sponsors and apparently she wants to talk to him
[close]

I assume by virtue of him first meeting at the Smithsonian geology archive or whatever that he thought he was there to take the stone back.

But the plot was really sloppy in other places...

Tasty

« Reply #38240 on: December 28, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »
This movie was weirdly kinda anti-feminist too.

Diana basically can't function without Steve (though she overcomes it.) She had shit on lock (see mall scene) until he came back then she basically turns full villain keeping him in some poor schmoe's body against that man's consent. :doge

And Cheetah's "crowning moment of evil" is her... getting revenge on her attempted rapist from like two days earlier... and who clearly kept on being a scumbag after Diana knocked him into the trashcan, catcalling every random babe on the street (or so we're supposed to assume?)

At least it passes the Bechdel test, I think.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38241 on: December 28, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »
He also wished for quick healing apparently  :lol

Would've been a better plot if that guy got the stone first instead of Max
[close]
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38242 on: December 28, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
Apparenty in some scenes they forgot to edit out the green screen in the reflections  :doge

🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38243 on: December 28, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
One of the enduring mysteries is why the the first film was regarded as anything but a mediocre super hero flick. Just because it was miles better than anything that had previously come out in the DC Universe, didn't mean it was great.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #38244 on: December 28, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
One of the enduring mysteries is why the the first film was regarded as anything but a mediocre super hero flick. Just because it was miles better than anything that had previously come out in the DC Universe, didn't mean it was great.

It was "good." The ending was bad, though.

"Good" was a foreign concept to the DCEU until that point, though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38245 on: December 28, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »
As the first modern Wonder Woman film it got some bonus points but overall it was a well directed and well paced movie with a nice soundtrack.
In ratings I would say easily a 7/10 for me while I give this new one if I'm generous a 5/10 at best.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38246 on: December 28, 2020, 08:08:18 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/almodovar-shuts-out-streamers-from-new-film-aronofsky-return-after-mother-1234606880/

As for Aronofsky, the director appears set to start production in the near future on his first feature film project since the 2017 release of his polarizing Jennifer Lawrence vehicle “mother!” The movie will reunite Aronofsky with his longtime cinematographer Matthew Libatique, who confirmed to Rappler this month the Aronofsky movie will be next on his docket once production wraps on Olivia Wilde’s “Don’t Worry Darling,” which Libatique is currently filming.

All Libatique could tease of the new movie is the following: “After ‘Don’t Worry Darling,’ I’m planning to make a small film with Aronofsky that obviously I can’t talk about. But yeah, that’s the next thing for me.”

:rejoice

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #38247 on: December 28, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »
Just watched WW84. What a fukkin weird movie.  :doge

Don't know anything about the production but I assumed Patty Jenkum had full control after the first movie? It felt like whoever was putting together the final cut wouldn't fully commit to the cheesiness so all those parts were just left feeling flat and unnecessarily awkward.

Gadot was not good in this movie.
___

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38248 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:13 PM »
As the first modern Wonder Woman film it got some bonus points but overall it was a well directed and well paced movie with a nice soundtrack.
In ratings I would say easily a 7/10 for me while I give this new one if I'm generous a 5/10 at best.
Can't be considered well-paced if it dragged like a MFer for the last third. 

That movie had no business being 2+ hours long.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38249 on: December 28, 2020, 11:44:16 PM »
I like the scene where she swings in to save those kids, but then realises they are Palestinian and uses their bodies to break her fall

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38250 on: December 29, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
It wasn't.
Man of Steel was a shitty headache of a movie, but WW wasn't "miles better".
For one, MoS had a better soundtrack and a couple of cool visual gimmicks.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38251 on: December 29, 2020, 11:27:33 AM »
Rewatched Sonic for the 4th time this year.  Movie is tight.

Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik is really funny. Several great one liners and verbal takedowns.

His "I'm smart, you're dumb" elitism is great.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:33:58 AM by EchoRin »

Tasty

« Reply #38252 on: December 29, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
Yes but at least one Cheetah/WW convo has to not involve their love lives, which I think is how far low the bar is set.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38253 on: December 29, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
If I was homeless and drunk on the street Id be catcalling women all day you can believe it

Homeless men gotta get laid somehow

I mean not if they look like Kristen Wig tho  :kobeyuck
What

Tasty

« Reply #38254 on: December 29, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »
If I was homeless and drunk on the street Id be catcalling women all day you can believe it

Homeless men gotta get laid somehow

I mean not if they look like Kristen Wig tho  :kobeyuck

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38255 on: December 29, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »
Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot passes the Bechdel test :snob

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38256 on: December 29, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »
It wasn't.
Man of Steel was a shitty headache of a movie, but WW wasn't "miles better".
For one, MoS had a better soundtrack and a couple of cool visual gimmicks.
I can literally remember nothing about Man of Steel. Nothing. At least I remember something about Wonder Woman.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38257 on: December 29, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »
Ok, I lie. I can remember some flying phallic objects with a technicolor background...and vaguely something about buildings exploding and a neck snapping.

Edit: Also, the only thing I really remember about Wonder Woman is Gal Gadot. She's a goddamn sexy woman.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38258 on: December 29, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
A shame WW is the obsessed GF tho.
She spend +/- 100 years in grief until she ran into Batfleck.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38260 on: December 29, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingagi

It purports to be a documentary about "Sir Hubert Winstead" of London on an expedition to the Belgian Congo, and depicts a tribe of gorilla-worshiping women encountered by the explorer. The film claims to show a ritual in which African women are given over to gorillas as sex slaves, but in actuality was mostly filmed in Los Angeles, using white actresses in blackface in place of natives.[1] It was produced and distributed by Nat Spitzer's Congo Pictures, which had been formed expressly to make the film.[2] Although marketed under the pretense of being an ethnographic film, the premise was a fabrication, leading the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors Association to retract any involvement with the film.[3]

Pre-Code Hollywood had some wild shit. :lol
©@©™

Tasty

Though I suppose it technically did get banned in the States...
« Reply #38261 on: December 29, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »
Pre-Code Hollywood had some wild shit. :lol

Häxan :beetlejuice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38262 on: December 29, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
I actually wonder if explorers made some shit up.
Not like anyone could fact check if you actually went into the jungle or what you had seen there.

Kino Classics in partnership with Something Weird Video will be releasing a 4K restoration of the film on Blu-Ray on January 5, 2021
Take note disney
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #38263 on: December 30, 2020, 04:34:15 AM »

that shit 2 min in  :popcorn

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #38264 on: December 30, 2020, 06:20:35 AM »

that shit 2 min in  :popcorn
I'm always willing to suspend my disbelief for a good time.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #38265 on: December 30, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
For the record, that was a Max Landis script that was "completely rewritten" by Grace-Moretz and co. before production.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38266 on: December 30, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »
I'm in

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38267 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
Starting to watch WW84 now.  The intro section is super cartoonish, especially the mall heist, like it was made specifically for young children.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38268 on: December 30, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
Huh.  So that’s what Pedro Pascal’s o-face looks like.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38269 on: December 30, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
Flying through the fireworks scene is actually a nice moment.  Too bad it was preceded by the hilarity of Steve’s plane superpower in full effect (jet aircraft in a museum full of working fuel, Steve somehow knows how to fly it???).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38270 on: December 30, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Yeah it has some nice scenes for sure but with Pascal there and the overall low production values and sloppy mistakes you sorta get the feeling that this was shot as a straight to Netflix kind of deal and not a $200(!) million production that was allegedly finished at least a year ago.

There has to be some kind of story behind this they're not telling us. Or they were all so far up their own ass that they really considered this a great film.

Anyhow I watched the Death to 2020 thing that Charlie Brooker made for Netflix.
It featured the UK a bit more than you might expect from a 'global' look at the world but I suppose that's what you get with him as the director.
Next to that the US election took center stage and I think there could've been some more events woven in there from other places as well. (the Beirut bombing was missing outside a small clip for example).
It did put all the 2020 insanity nicely into perspective though and of course Charlie had some great commentary on things.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38271 on: December 30, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
That looks so dumb; but I'm happy it exists because that is gonna trigger a lot of orange site types lol
It's gonna trigger the 3 people who are gonna watch it at best.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38272 on: December 30, 2020, 11:42:48 AM »
The fucking SUNSHINE soundtrack?!?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38273 on: December 30, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »
This is so bad.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38274 on: December 30, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
It featured the UK a bit more than you might expect from a 'global' look at the world but I suppose that's what you get with him as the director.
Next to that the US election took center stage and I think there could've been some more events woven in there from other places as well. (the Beirut bombing was missing outside a small clip for example).
It did put all the 2020 insanity nicely into perspective though and of course Charlie had some great commentary on things.

It was just a big budget New Years Wipe tbh - sam jacksons script was pretty much verbatim Barry Shitpeas.
Glad they kept Philamena Cunk though, even if she didn't get her own investigation section.

Tasty

« Reply #38275 on: December 30, 2020, 11:56:04 AM »
Flying through the fireworks scene is actually a nice moment.  Too bad it was preceded by the hilarity of Steve’s plane superpower in full effect (jet aircraft in a museum full of working fuel, Steve somehow knows how to fly it???).

I was more :usure at Steve knowing how to fly it than it being fully fueled (and able to make it to Egypt and back in a couple of hours) but you know he was kind of guessing and knew enough to figure it out. He was a pilot! He could fly the space shuttle if he had to.

It makes sense to me, they establish that he looks over a couple different jets before choosing the one he wants to fly; to me this implies he chose the plane he was most likely to have knowledge of flying. And he fucks up the first thing he tries to do in the plane (he hits some switch and goes "Oh, that's not it.") After that he's as competent as the plot demands which is... fine. It's not like he was trying to battle enemy fighters and doing crazy tricks and shit.

The thing being fully fueled is definitely the more WTF part for me. I can even forgive the second trip, maybe they fueled it up offscreen somewhere somehow, but for the first trip that jet had no business being ready to fly across the Atlantic. :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38276 on: December 30, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »

It was just a big budget New Years Wipe tbh - sam jacksons script was pretty much verbatim Barry Shitpeas.
Glad they kept Philamena Cunk though, even if she didn't get her own investigation section.
Yep that's essentially what it is, and that's fine by me.
I liked the new additions like the Historian and science guy too.

"That's Star Wars"
"No that's history. I was there with all the bear people we had a lovely time"
 :lol

And Sam Jackson works great as a narrator.
Some jokes were a bit overdone and repeated a lot like the Trump spokesperson bits but maybe that was on purpose too because it was pretty accurate.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38277 on: December 30, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
WW84 was bad and such a waste of time.  I don’t think any of the actors come out of this looking good, which to me is usually the sign of poor direction paired with even poorer writing.  I got a kick out of how two of the really big moments needed to bite off of music from better movies (Sunshine, and BvS) to try and sell the scenes.

Best moment was the brief second that Gal Gadot and Kristin Wiig were electric-scissoring mid-air.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38278 on: December 30, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
Ive seen enough of 2020 that I dont need celebs telling me about 2020
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38279 on: December 30, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
"Beirut bombing" makes it sound like an terror attack.  :doge
Anyway, i would say that one of the biggest explosions (ok, non-nuclear) in history, that further razed Lebanese economy to the ground, is the most important event of 2020 after COVID, especially more important than a presidential election... where the more reasonable and expected candidate won?  ???

But i guess it's easier to milk for a comedy piece, and they probably want to cater to the anglo sphere more.