Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140749 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38581 on: February 18, 2021, 01:22:00 PM »
Looks better than I thought it would.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kano doesn't say does it hurt baby.  :ltg
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38582 on: February 18, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
In theaters  :crowdlaff

:fbm
[close]
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #38583 on: February 18, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »
Looks watchable for free :D

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38584 on: February 18, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
Looks watchable for free :D
Time is never free.  :doge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38585 on: February 18, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »
soundtrack is the best thing about the original mk, if the trailer had anything resembling the pumping edm and zeitgeist butt rock the original made such great use of id be hype
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38587 on: February 18, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
soundtrack is the best thing about the original mk, if the trailer had anything resembling the pumping edm and zeitgeist butt rock the original made such great use of id be hype

:preach

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38588 on: February 18, 2021, 03:56:57 PM »
lol, was listening to that track as i refreshed the page  8)  :rejoice
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38589 on: February 19, 2021, 02:38:11 AM »

:preach

Aww thats from the ending when they have beaten the tournament <3
What

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38590 on: February 19, 2021, 03:01:47 AM »
"You weak pathetic fools. I've come for your souls"

"I don't think so"
----

The movie also features the best thing Traci Lords did legally.

Believe the instrumental is during the Reptile fight.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38591 on: February 19, 2021, 06:39:58 AM »
She was legal in the opening on Blade! :ufup

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38592 on: February 19, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
She was legal in the opening on Blade! :ufup

I... did not even remember that. But I would still prop up her music track over her Blade performance.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38593 on: February 19, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »
MK looks dope!

I know sometimes I can come across as haughty, but I want you guys to know it's only because sometimes I feel embarrassed to know you guys.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38594 on: February 19, 2021, 06:59:46 PM »
Watched Episode 3 and 4 of Adam Curtis new thing.

Only Curtis can combine footage of a transgender being interviewed by the NHS with the storming of the Russian parliament.  :lawd

One episode left. I'm awaiting the grand finale.

Actually 2 episodes left :rejoice
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #38596 on: February 19, 2021, 08:04:33 PM »
Monster Hunter is Paul W.S. Anderson's magnum opus. I don't understand anything of what happens on screen, in a blur of action, fast-paced cutting and inconsequential story beats. Terrible, and just more proof videogame movies are crud.

Wrong Turn the reboot, is ok. Drags in the middle, where it tries to explain the foundation, but we are to believe that a main character can change entirely in 6 weeks? I thought the ending was ok. Since I've never seen any of the previous sequels, i didn't have any preconceptions.. so it was ok.

Synchronic, not as trippy as I expected from the directors, considering the previous output. Slight nods/connections to their previous films, some cool juxtapositions. I kind of preferred the dour first hour to the
filmed time travel excursions
[close]
it seemed the mystery was a little whatever. slightly better than average, but not great.

how great is a pandemic, where i can watch pretty new crud at home, rather than traipsing to a cinema!

Bebpo

« Reply #38597 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
Yeah, Synchronic was not as interesting as it could've been and I thought the ending was pretty weak/uninteresting.

Videogame movies are terrible, so now we are getting a new Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid and The Last of Us!   :doge

I probably should watch that Sonic movie at some point since people said it was one of the only good videogame movies even though the trailers were awful.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38598 on: February 19, 2021, 08:38:26 PM »
Despite the video game movie curse I have high hopes of the MGS movie considering the series would work well as a movie and the director is a big fan of the source material.
The art pieces are incredible. I also doubt that Oscar Isaac would've joined it if it was terrible.
🤴

Quaker

« Reply #38599 on: February 19, 2021, 08:51:41 PM »
Despite the video game movie curse I have high hopes of the MGS movie considering the series would work well as a movie and the director is a big fan of the source material.
The art pieces are incredible. I also doubt that Oscar Isaac would've joined it if it was terrible.
This already happened with Assassin's Creed.

Seems foolish to go into any big budget media property with "high hopes."

(Inversely, The Lego Movie and "The Facebook Movie" show that anything could be good.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38600 on: February 19, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »
Hard disagree there.
The games work with a mix of incredibly overdrawn conversations littered with stock footage, meta commentary and slapstick humor delivered through gameplay, and very anime oriented (i.e.: very flamboyant) cutscenes.

The only way to transpose it to the screen, in a 2 hour format and for a more or less normal audience, it to completely castrate the product and deliver a very by the numbers military action movie, riddled with references and empty fan service, and maybe a bit of odd flavoring here and there.
As much as a "movie game" MGS is, it's really driving a lot of its narrative power in the played parts.

You remove that, and you're left with a mediocre anime about super soldiers.

EDIT: But yes, with enough vision, anything is possible, i'm just saying the starting point isn't as favorable as it may seem.

Tasty

« Reply #38601 on: February 20, 2021, 12:17:31 PM »
Been interesting to follow Nomadland.

Early impressions: this is schmaltzy shit, on top of a bad story/book

Current impressions: Frances McDormand is amazing in Nomadland, which is also a stunning portrait of the American ideal and the state of poverty in the nation

Decided I'm gonna go in blind (after this point) and make up my own mind. Curious what the consensus will end up being, though.

Edit- For some reason I thought Ron Howard had directed this... Mandela effect?

Edit 2- I got Hillbilly Elegy and Nomadland totally confused. :lol :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38602 on: February 20, 2021, 07:24:48 PM »
Brandon Cronenberg’s POSSESSOR
fantastic.
Thoroughly fucked up.
The apple has not fallen far from the tree.
Will probably watch again soon.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38603 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
fantastic.
Thoroughly fucked up.
Did you watch Antiviral already? It's not a masterpiece, but it's pretty "fun".

Bebpo

« Reply #38604 on: February 21, 2021, 03:39:38 AM »
HBO's email spam said Doctor Sleep was leaving soon and I'd never gotten around to watching this because I read the book and it was a pretty mehtastic book. I'd heard everyone liked the movie so it was an improvement.

It's an improvement in the fact that this story, which is just not very interesting (especially for a Shining sequel), is ~2.5 hours instead of however many dozens of hours it takes for King's books which are like 800 pages+ these days. Felt pretty much like how I remembered the book and was middle of the road fine, but nothing special.

I just find Danny & kid vs evil psychic vampire hippies to be a pretty whatever story idea.

That said, the one part of the movie that was different was the final act, which was my favorite part of the book. Since in the book the overlook hotel blew up in The Shining (book) and so the finale takes place in the ruins, whereas in the Shining movieverse, the hotel's still there so there is hotel shenanigans. This gave them an opportunity to do interesting things.

I liked the scene at the bar with young Jack Nicholson.

But otherwise I didn't think the movie finale was very good and was weirdly retreading both the original movie & book at the same time. I looked up a book summary and yeah the story was totally different for the final battle stuff and I think the book's final battle and ending is much, much better than what they did with the movie.

So overall it was a good/better adaptation of a mediocre book but had a worse ending. It was fine, not sure where people praising the movie came from. I did think McGregor did good though in the role.

fantastic.
Thoroughly fucked up.

I wanna see this.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38605 on: February 22, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
Synchronic wasn't as good as The Endless, but I still liked it. The problem was that Synchronic wasn't as interesting once everything was explained; The Endless was still cool after they explained it.

Also, randomly finding Brianna during the Civil War felt like an ass-pull, since being three feet off was the difference between being in the Ice Age or being in the 1920's. Did Brianna wander away from the party and go all the way out to the rock to get high?
[close]
©@©™

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #38606 on: February 23, 2021, 05:15:45 AM »
Synchronic wasn't as good as The Endless, but I still liked it. The problem was that Synchronic wasn't as interesting once everything was explained; The Endless was still cool after they explained it.

Also, randomly finding Brianna during the Civil War felt like an ass-pull, since being three feet off was the difference between being in the Ice Age or being in the 1920's. Did Brianna wander away from the party and go all the way out to the rock to get high?
[close]

ALLWAYS

« Reply #38607 on: February 23, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »
Rogue One made a billy, and the two Maleficent movies made a billy point two, so I'd say there's definitely a market for that sort of thing.

Yes, it's easy to make money with built-in markets, etc.

I'm wondering if maybe Disney/Hollywood can stretch the limits of creative filmmaking beyond prequelmania. Aren't 3D movies due for a comeback? Is it too soon? Maybe a slew of movies about breakfast cereals?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38608 on: February 23, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »
What the people really want is a live action movie of Fantasia starring Ryan Reynolds as Mickey Mouse ft. Snoop Dogg and Billie Eilish  :pacspit
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38609 on: February 23, 2021, 11:36:30 PM »
Childs Play 19.  I actually like the premise but the execution fails for like 70% of the time. 

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38610 on: February 24, 2021, 10:46:13 PM »

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #38611 on: February 26, 2021, 03:33:18 AM »

video unavailable... using my imagination  ;)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38612 on: February 26, 2021, 10:44:48 AM »
Video actually is throwaway.

Key message is that there seems to be a new Beavis and Butthead movie in the future.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38613 on: February 26, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
OH FUCK YES MORE B&B my life can only get so much better!!!!!!

Werent they also doing more shows/seasons on CC?

Are they doing that + a movie?
What

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #38614 on: February 26, 2021, 11:00:01 AM »
Took me so long to figure out that seth rogan reminded me of butthead.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38615 on: February 26, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
OH FUCK YES MORE B&B my life can only get so much better!!!!!!

Werent they also doing more shows/seasons on CC?

Are they doing that + a movie?

Yes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38616 on: February 27, 2021, 10:20:06 PM »
fantastic.
Thoroughly fucked up.
Did you watch Antiviral already? It's not a masterpiece, but it's pretty "fun".

I have not! I meant to, and then forgot. Will correct, shortly.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38617 on: February 28, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »
Watched some Guy Ritchie goodness this weekend.

Sherlock Holmes
Can't believe this is already a decade old. In any case, it's a fun watch. Even the CG of classic London holds up very well. The only downside I would say is that the movie was made when brown/black/grey were in fashion in pop culture and visual design so I would've liked it to be a bit more colorful. You can tell that the actors had great fun making this film (as with most of Guy's films tbh) and almost break character at times while at the same time delivering great performances. As always the casting choices are near perfect with Mark Strong as a very sinister Lord Blackwood. Shame he didn't get more screentime. The whole thing was put on the backburner after the sequel because of the MCU taking up Downey's time but he seems keen to turn it into a franchise.

A third film is in production although I'm not sure if audiences are still interested to go see this type of movie in cinemas, seems like a better fit for Netflix or something.

🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38618 on: February 28, 2021, 09:34:13 PM »
Willy's Wonderland - really enjoyed this.  It actually felt like a parody of Mandy which made it really trippy. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38619 on: March 01, 2021, 08:55:44 PM »
Willy's Wonderland - really enjoyed this.  It actually felt like a parody of Mandy which made it really trippy.

...could they not just pay the Five Nights at Freddy's developer for the rights?

Quaker

« Reply #38620 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:06 AM »
I thought Mank was pretty disappointing but Daddy Fincher and Batfleck bro-ing out for 40 minutes was pretty cool.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/ben-affleck-david-fincher-directors-on-directors-takes-1234906444/?jwsource=cl

When they start geeking out about Dolby Vision and 10,000 nits:  :aah

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38621 on: March 02, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
The next one from Fincher though (The Killer, with Fassbender) sounds absolutely terrible as a premise.
Killer with a heart of gold shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38622 on: March 02, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »

...could they not just pay the Five Nights at Freddy's developer for the rights?

Pretty sure that would have blown the budget

Tuckers Law

« Reply #38623 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
I watched The Little Things over the previous weekend, and it was such a boring and forgettable movie overall that I even forgot to post as such here after finishing it.  Rarely do I watch a movie for the first time where I was feeling the urge to just start fast forwarding through sections to get closer to the end.

It was just so much  :snore  even with its leads being generally enjoyable to watch as actors.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38624 on: March 03, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
I watched The Little Things over the previous weekend, and it was such a boring and forgettable movie overall that I even forgot to post as such here after finishing it.  Rarely do I watch a movie for the first time where I was feeling the urge to just start fast forwarding through sections to get closer to the end.

It was just so much  :snore  even with its leads being generally enjoyable to watch as actors.

Glad I double-checked. I thought you were writing about The Little Hours, which encouraged the same response in me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38625 on: March 03, 2021, 09:04:06 PM »

Pretty.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38626 on: March 04, 2021, 12:43:08 PM »
Usual horrid sense of humor, but the visuals look interesting.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38628 on: March 05, 2021, 08:06:12 AM »
They're doing another Space Jam?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #38629 on: March 05, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
LeBron James & his son travel through the Warner 3000 entertainment "Server-verse” whilst AI G Rhythm tries to steal LeBron’s Instagram followers.

:mike

Coax

« Reply #38630 on: March 05, 2021, 08:29:38 AM »
CG Looney Tunes  :trash

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38631 on: March 05, 2021, 09:41:12 AM »
that sounds shit :lol

(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38632 on: March 05, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
As long as they open with some iconic music from some appropriate pedophile I'll be happy.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #38633 on: March 05, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
When does the sequel to the website come out?

https://www.spacejam.com/

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38634 on: March 05, 2021, 12:02:18 PM »
Finished up Coming 2 America, it's a decent movie it's basically the GB2 of the franchise when I was expecting GB2016.  :-[

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #38635 on: March 05, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Watched Super 8 on a whim because the music came up in a playlist and I thought... wow, with music like this it has to be incredible!

rub

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38638 on: March 05, 2021, 03:52:10 PM »

"ladies, gents, cocksuckers, pederasts. I hope you all enjoy the show, yes I do"  :delicious

my favorite movie opening of all time of all time  ;)

wonder if the dutch he spoke was accurate  :thinking

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38639 on: March 05, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
Coming 2 America was fun but nowhere near as good as the first one, or as funny.
What