Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141736 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #38280 on: December 30, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »
Anyhow I watched the Death to 2020 thing that Charlie Brooker made for Netflix.
It featured the UK a bit more than you might expect from a 'global' look at the world but I suppose that's what you get with him as the director.
Next to that the US election took center stage and I think there could've been some more events woven in there from other places as well. (the Beirut bombing was missing outside a small clip for example).
It did put all the 2020 insanity nicely into perspective though and of course Charlie had some great commentary on things.
"Beirut bombing" makes it sound like an terror attack.  :doge
Anyway, i would say that one of the biggest explosions (ok, non-nuclear) in history, that further razed Lebanese economy to the ground, is the most important event of 2020 after COVID, especially more important than a presidential election... where the more reasonable and expected candidate won?  ???

But i guess it's easier to milk for a comedy piece, and they probably want to cater to the anglo sphere more.
Yeah more of an explosion than a bombing I suppose but it was a big event.

Charlie Brooker is more of a story teller than a documentary maker or journalist so the other things were probably harder to fit into his narrative.
It is indeed catered more to the Anglo sphere, I could not find it on the Netflix TV app, only via the link someone send me that I had to open on my smartphone and then sync with the TV app.
Probably because as of yesterday it only had subtitles in English and Spanish.

There were a bunch of other events that I would've expected though based on his previous work
- Navalny's poisoning
- Van Halen / Chadwick / Bryant deaths (celeb deaths in general)
- The protests and rigged election in Belarus
- The war between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- The rumor that Kim Jun Un had died
- WAP and the overall explosion of wank dads
- Animal Crossing / video games popularity during the lockdown

Just to name a few
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #38281 on: December 30, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »

that shit 2 min in  :popcorn
I'm always willing to suspend my disbelief for a good time.

will watch if she shows her small titties only

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #38282 on: December 30, 2020, 08:34:36 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38283 on: December 30, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »
So sometimes I watch chick-flicks just so I can keep track of what women like - anyway watching The Spy That Dumped Me now.  I'm enjoying it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The extreme violence is pretty funny.  At times it's like if John Wick was a comedy.
[close]

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #38284 on: December 30, 2020, 10:26:22 PM »

i want to see more peak performance body

will watch if she shows her small titties only

(Image removed from quote.)

She already did tho?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38285 on: December 30, 2020, 11:10:16 PM »
So sometimes I watch chick-flicks just so I can keep track of what women like - anyway watching The Spy That Dumped Me now.  I'm enjoying it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The extreme violence is pretty funny.  At times it's like if John Wick was a comedy.
[close]

John Wick wasn't a comedy?
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #38286 on: December 31, 2020, 01:44:27 AM »

Meet me in the bathroom in 10 minutes

:shh

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38287 on: December 31, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #38288 on: December 31, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Not just the Snyder cut anymore, the Internet demands a return of the SNYDER VERSE

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1344703559720267776

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:01:07 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #38289 on: December 31, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
Edit- This was too harsh.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:03:29 PM by Tasty »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38290 on: December 31, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
Sure he can
What

Tasty

« Reply #38292 on: December 31, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/12/2020-box-office-studio-domestic-market-share-covid-19-1234663350/

Disney and Warner's moves seem more understandable in this context. On the other hand, how much market share did they deliberately leave on the table in pursuit of streaming? Though I suppose WB tried pretty hard to make theaters a thing again with Tenet and that didn't go well.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38293 on: December 31, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
DC movies have been bland and bad without Synder where they were just bad.

So sure...

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Tasty

« Reply #38296 on: January 01, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »
Yup! :D

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38297 on: January 01, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
Meet the Parents - Took long enough, but I finally saw it. Great fun. Loved De Niro's character. The man's man kind of thing, but he has this obsession with his cat that doesn't find the mold (even though I appreciate his little spiel in the car explaining why he loves cats). The pool scene man. Once again men being men, until Stiller's character who at this point is seen as an incompetent soyboy tries to man up and botches it all by causing an injury in his eagerness to be as competitive as the rest of his team  :lol.

It's one thing after another. The laughs don't ever seem to stop. Loved this. Was a little surprised that Owen Wilson's character is really only there for two scenes. Everything that happens at his mansion and then the altar incident. And that's it. Going in I thought he would have been in more scenes.

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run -  Good fun. First half was strong. Second half above average. Songs were pretty weak. Nothing as good as "Because We're Men" from the first movie.

Bebpo

« Reply #38298 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »
Damn, Affleck is swole af these days.

Tasty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38300 on: January 01, 2021, 07:51:56 PM »
He hasn't directed a movie in 14 years but he's gonna come back at age 90 for one more?  :titus
dog

Tasty

« Reply #38301 on: January 01, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »
He hasn't directed a movie in 14 years but he's gonna come back at age 90 for one more?  :titus

He's too old for this shit. :lol :lol :lol Well, guess not!

Tasty

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38303 on: January 01, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
 :trashy

Rahxephon91

« Reply #38304 on: January 01, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
All you need to know was that she was still crying over a dude she knew for a week.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38305 on: January 01, 2021, 10:16:21 PM »

Can't be worse than Harrison Ford returning for one last Indiana Jones at ~80!
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38306 on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:41 PM »
45 mins into Shadow in the Clouds - this is actually pretty good.  I really like how low the production values are and how bottled it is, it makes it feel like a good episode of a horror anothogy tv show or something. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38307 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:27 PM »
OMG the ending  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Really enjoyable film.  The first 40 minutes work really well as a low-budget horror and just when it is starting to outstay its welcome it turns into nonsense that would make fast and furious blush. 

Tasty

« Reply #38308 on: January 01, 2021, 11:35:12 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/shadow-in-the-cloud-roseanne-liang-max-landis-feminist-monster-1234607112/

Chloe Grace Moretz: "We’ve completely distanced ourselves from [original writer Max Landis.] We’ve rewritten it several times now. His name is kind of far away from the project."

Roseanne Liang: "Max was not the producer or writer of this project, and I was allowed to take on the script and make changes with the producers as I saw fit."

Max Landis: "Watch Shadow in The Cloud, my closest ever script-to-screen adaptation, now on streaming."

:thinking

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38309 on: January 01, 2021, 11:48:16 PM »
Maybe his other screenplays were changed even more from his original script?
dog

Tasty

« Reply #38310 on: January 01, 2021, 11:50:51 PM »
Maybe his other screenplays were changed even more from his original script?

That's what his post is implying but it's funny to me all the bad movies were so allegedly different, while the new hit getting buzzy word of mouth is the closest to his written draft... especially after over a year of the main actor and director saying over and over it's been rewritten and it's "distant" from him. :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #38311 on: January 02, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »
or he's just trolling, due to them saying that for so long.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #38312 on: January 02, 2021, 06:39:59 AM »
Imagine being an even bigger scumbag than your child killing father :heh
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #38313 on: January 02, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/shadow-in-the-cloud-filmmaker-roseanne-liang-sets-the-record-straight

“The original script I received, the writer of that script [Landis] sometimes uses large-point font. So by the time we removed some of his stylistic flourishes, which involved large writing, the script was something horrendous. It was under 70 pages long. It was a very short script,” Liang shares. “So that was an issue that we had in the beginning. Part of the rewrite process was making sure that we give people their money’s worth. That way, they don’t go into the cinema and think, ‘Ah, I just watched a 55-minute episode of The Twilight Zone.’ That was a huge fear that I and the producers had through development.”

70 pages? That's closer to a TV spec/pilot than feature for sure.

"And then I realized that the guy was not talking about me; he was talking about Max. He’d somehow erased me and decided that a writer who wrote an early draft of this project was the creator of this project.”

I mean... he created the idea, story, and characters... I guess "the project" (movie production) is technically a separate entity, and she's the creator of that, but I can see how someone would be confused.

Sorry but shit like who gets what writer's credit is keenly important to me right now. :P I find the entire thing fascinating, mostly because this is the first such project I can think of this happening to -- a project beginning from a toxic place but trying (successfully?) to distance itself by the time the final movie is released. All The Money in the World replacing Spacey is sorta comparable, but (apologies to actors) an actor is a cog in the machine compared to the original writer, which makes Shadow in the Cloud even juicier to follow for me.

Tasty

« Reply #38314 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:44 AM »
THR: So it’s my understanding that to earn a co-writing credit on an original screenplay, a screenwriter has to rewrite at least 50 percent of the original screenplay. And since you’re credited as a co-writer on Shadow in the Cloud, it frustrates me when I see people try and attribute the voice of this movie to someone who you never worked with in any capacity. Plus, anyone who’s seen Do No Harm will instantly be able to recognize that Shadow is your voice. So what would you say to anyone who remains focused on the original screenwriter?

Liang: Thank you for saying that because it frustrates me, too. [...]

So the WGA recognizes she's completely rewritten at least half of the screenplay. Good enough for me, Max is definitely full of shit when he says it's the most accurate rendition of one of his scripts. (Honestly Victor Frankenstein the script wasn't that different from the film despite him saying so on RLM years back.)

And he literally directed one of his own scripts (Me Him Her) so yeah, he's doubly full of shit. :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38316 on: January 02, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
Sorry Tasty but that is all so comical to me.
"We rewrote some of this script, so now you can watch the movie without getting infected!"
No really, why the fuck is it an issue if he did or did not write the script? At beast you should be worrying whether or not he's getting compensation, if you really care.

Max Landis' involvement doesn't literally give you cancer like mercury in the water, it's like i'm reading some kind of collective delusion, reading those morons climbing over themselves to distance from the guy.

Tasty

« Reply #38317 on: January 02, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »
I'm not making a judgment call on the movie, those who watch it, or those who choose not to watch it. There's endless opportunities out there for entertainment and if knowing Max Landis was involved diminishes your potential enjoyment to the point you decide it's not worth it, that's a personal decision and all the more power to you. If you choose to watch it and end up enjoying it, that's OK too.

If you decide to broadcast your decision with a megaphone for internet points, that's where criticism should come into play IMO.

Tasty

« Reply #38318 on: January 02, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
Also, from a movie production side, they're 100% laser focused on decreasing risk. That's why most movies in theaters are bland rehashes of IPs created decades and decades ago. Associating with someone deemed toxic by any significant amount of the public is bad for business. The moral stand is a nice face, and I'm sure that's more the case for the director and Moretz, but it should be no secret why the production apparatus would want to distance itself from Max.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38319 on: January 02, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
As a call for internet points, I just want to say, I watched it to support Landis   

:popcorn

Tasty

« Reply #38320 on: January 02, 2021, 01:52:13 PM »
Also, humans aren't 100% internally consistent, shocker. Sometimes you make decisions based on your gut instead of dispassionately considering all factors, and that's OK.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38322 on: January 02, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »
Yes people are free to do whatever and consume whatever, but to me this moral reasoning makes zero sense.
It makes sense to boycott the movie if watching it directly aids Landis, but them having rewritten or not the script is a completely unrelated and irrational point to make.
Again, we're not talking about a magic spell, where they need to change enough words to make it safe.

Some people may still decide to do whatever, but i'm gonna call that choice completely irrational and comical.

Tasty

« Reply #38323 on: January 02, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
To invoke Godwin's Law, if Hitler wrote a screenplay that just got discovered and someone announced they were intending to produce it (even "heavily rewritten"), I wouldn't fault people for how they felt about it even though zero of the profits would go to Adolf.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38324 on: January 02, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
I'm not taking issue with how people do or do not feel, that's something you don't have any control over (for the most part, because certain feelings can be product of peer pressure).
I'm taking issue with the idea that an appropriate response is to rewrite the script, which has nothing to do with anything (since Max Landis' controversies weren't related to his script writing).

That Hitler example doesn't fit 100% because Hitler's sins are directly tied to his ideologies, Max Landis is just a creep.

You can use Polanski as the classic example: You may feel uneasy watching Chinatown, because of the mental association with his criminal case, but going ahead and changing all the shots just to make it safe for consumption, is just as irrational to me, as someone clicking the light switch 3 times because of their OCD.
Him using a close up instead of a long shot, doesn't have anything to do with the problematic nature of his involvement.
Same with Landis.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38325 on: January 02, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
You might actually get mercury poisoning from a Max Landis scrip tho, wouldn't be surprised at all
You're mixing up Landis with Umberto Eco.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #38326 on: January 02, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
I'm taking issue with the idea that an appropriate response is to rewrite the script, which has nothing to do with anything (since Max Landis' controversies weren't related to his script writing).

The typical response is that the project would have been dropped altogether, see also MGM's Deeper starring (or to star) Idris Elba.

Rewriting the script is actually the "kindest" option to Landis they had. And from the sounds of it, the script needed heavy rewriting anyways (70 pages does not a feature film make, generally.)

That Hitler example doesn't fit 100% because Hitler's sins are directly tied to his ideologies, Max Landis is just a creep.

According to Landis, Shadow in the Clouds (the script) was a response to his own "Rey is a Mary Sue" controvery, which he debatably started. His exact words are:

"Sometimes it’s easier to help people understand how you feel with art, just by showing them the type of thing you want to see and going 'wow, cool right?'"

So you're definitely wrong about this specific example and I would say you're just wrong in general, an artist's thinking is endemic to whatever they create, because art reveals.

You can use Polanski as the classic example: You may feel uneasy watching Chinatown, because of the mental association with his criminal case, but going ahead and changing all the shots just to make it safe for consumption, is just as irrational to me, as someone clicking the light switch 3 times because of their OCD.

This example/comparison doesn't make any sense to me. Could you explain it better? Chinatown had already been released by the time of Polanski's court case, Shadow in the Clouds was picked up and rewritten before, during, and after most of Landis' accusations were known.

Him using a close up instead of a long shot, doesn't have anything to do with the problematic nature of his involvement.
Same with Landis.

The written word by a screenwriter is far and away different from a camera movement by a director. They both communicate an intent but there's a reason words are the primary method humans communicate -- words have power.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:56:32 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #38327 on: January 02, 2021, 02:58:44 PM »

Also, this is heavily downplaying what Landis has been accused of to bolster your argument. I don't think you're interested in an actual discussion and are rather just angry and annoyed over something you shouldn't be angry and annoyed about.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38328 on: January 02, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - What a treat. Enjoyed the various key characters. The two elder sisters. The geeky boy. The artist girl. I guess the couple in the bakery were were least interesting to me. Still likeable too and the silent husband has his little moments that let you know he's got a personality despite being the silent type. I liked how every delivery had its own wrinkle. I mean the movie doesn't really have much growth necessarily.  Just these deliveries that lead to interesting moments. Kiki and her cat Jiji are so likeable. The cat is great. I just like the time we get to spend with these characters. I can't really explain why I like it so much, but I do.

By now I've seen maybe a third or quarter of Studio Ghibli movies. Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki, Ponyo, When Marnie Was There, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away. The only one that didn't click with me was Howl.

I think I'd like to see one of the very grounded movies next (or from what I can tell). Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves. I'm all ears as to which one of those two you would recommend to me more

edit: oh I almost forgot. Kiki's character design? Ace. So simple, but so right.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:15:21 PM by EchoRin »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38329 on: January 02, 2021, 04:38:28 PM »

Also, this is heavily downplaying what Landis has been accused of to bolster your argument. I don't think you're interested in an actual discussion and are rather just angry and annoyed over something you shouldn't be angry and annoyed about.
Please, dont give me this condescending bollocks, i don't claim to be right, but if i didn't want a discussion, i wouldn't be posting.
And i assure you i'm not angry, i couldn't stand Max Landis well before any of the MeToo stuff came out, and i think all of his stuff (that've seen) is dog shit.

My issue is with the idea of treating a piece of work like radioactive material, based solely on the name attached, i do find that ridiculous.
I actually wholly agree with the idea that art and artist are entangled, but it doesn't mean a linear connection (as in: a bad person only creates harmful art), or that "death of the author" has no merit.

Reassuring people that any trace of Landis is erased is silly because nobody had seen the movie yet, so there was no way for the public to tell whether the movie was making absurd political statements in the first place.
I think this is a corrosive way of looking at things, and fosters a simplistic mentality of aprioristically judging things outside of their own merits, which i find dogmatic, but more importantly a way to delegate away critical thinking.
In other words, if Carl Sagan had written Mein Kampf, it wouldn't have been any more or less psychotic and viceversa.

Although it'd be reasonable to say "we've rewritten most of the script because it wasn't good" (as it happens with most movies anyway), i find it toxic and wrong to foster the simple minded apporach of "we've rewritten most of the script, because it was written by a bad person".
Not because of what "damage" it may do to Landis (again, couldn't care less), but because of what it says about our approach to art, and critical thinking.

EDIT: To be more clear, the issue isn't the rewrite, it's the message telling people "the evil is defeated" because it gives the wrong message, as explained above.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38330 on: January 02, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - What a treat. Enjoyed the various key characters. The two elder sisters. The geeky boy. The artist girl. I guess the couple in the bakery were were least interesting to me. Still likeable too and the silent husband has his little moments that let you know he's got a personality despite being the silent type. I liked how every delivery had its own wrinkle. I mean the movie doesn't really have much growth necessarily.  Just these deliveries that lead to interesting moments. Kiki and her cat Jiji are so likeable. The cat is great. I just like the time we get to spend with these characters. I can't really explain why I like it so much, but I do.

By now I've seen maybe a third or quarter of Studio Ghibli movies. Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kiki, Ponyo, When Marnie Was There, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away. The only one that didn't click with me was Howl.

I think I'd like to see one of the very grounded movies next (or from what I can tell). Only Yesterday or Ocean Waves. I'm all ears as to which one of those two you would recommend to me more

edit: oh I almost forgot. Kiki's character design? Ace. So simple, but so right.
Howl is a bullshit movie, i agree.
Beyond the amazing animation, there's a really stupidly antithetical story to what are Ghibli's usually anti-war sentiments (not that the movie is pro-war, but its trivialization of it, i mean).
Haven't read the original novel, so maybe that's very different, but that finale, in the movie, annoys me to no end.

Also, Only Yesterday is the best Ghibli movie, in my opinion, so i'd go with that.  :thinking

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38331 on: January 02, 2021, 05:28:00 PM »

and those sweet sweet pantsu  :biden

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #38332 on: January 02, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
Easy now Filler. It's 13 year old pantsu.

Though without sounding creepy, yes I did notice it, but it's never presented like "yes yesssss. Salivate over that witch pussy."  :lol. It presents it like a matter of fact thing that is bound to happen due to the chosen attire. And that attire is obviously not done for "male gaze" reasons.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38333 on: January 02, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »
of course the animators wouldn't happen to be big time pervs  ;) they'd never do something like that purposely  :rash

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38334 on: January 02, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
The internet ruins it all. :fbm

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38335 on: January 02, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
phallus shaped spire on little mermaid cover was just an innocent accident  :horny

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #38336 on: January 02, 2021, 08:33:40 PM »
phallus shaped spire on little mermaid cover was just an innocent accident  :horny
Little Mermaid is different, she literally renounced her singing talent and ability to speak, just to get the prince's dick.
Phallic imagery is integral to the story.  :brain

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38337 on: January 02, 2021, 09:43:14 PM »
Watching Bad Boys 3.  Movie is straight out of 2001 and pretty tone deaf for 2020.  I'm enjoying it but its jarring. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38338 on: January 02, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »
Decent, but missing a Joe Pesci-esque character to tell a story about having a frog as a best friend.  Also as tone-deaf as it was, at least they didn't have 15 yearold Megan Fox dancing in a bikini, probably only because they couldn't get 15 yearold Megan Fox though.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #38339 on: January 03, 2021, 05:32:58 AM »
I dont even know who max landis is
What