Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182822 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37920 on: December 02, 2020, 08:18:19 PM »
Because when it comes to Clive Barker movies, he doesn't have a good track record. That latest anthology got shredded in reviews.

His Hellraiser sequel book from a few years ago was pretty garbage, too. 

Reddit said it was ghostwritten.  Barker nearly died after a dentist visit went wrong and its messed him up pretty badly.  He has new books coming out next year though.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37921 on: December 02, 2020, 09:10:00 PM »
Maybe, but by his own account he had it mostly written by 2010, well before his health crisis.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37922 on: December 03, 2020, 02:22:16 AM »
Books or movies? I assume this is just about the movie rights?

Because when it comes to Clive Barker movies, he doesn't have a good track record. That latest anthology got shredded in reviews.

Wish someone would just make another good Hellraiser movie. I don't think Barker even needs to be involved, just someone with decent talent. I didn't love that latest Halloween, but I'd be more than happy for a new Hellraiser entry at that quality.

After the scarlet gospels sequel to both hellraiser and the last illusion, I am no longer caring about any extension of either of those series. Laughably bad. Clive Barker writing at near Dan Brown levels of simplicity and garbage.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37923 on: December 03, 2020, 11:25:05 AM »
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37924 on: December 03, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »
FYI this is the same writer-clawback legal mechanism currently at the heart of the Friday the 13th court case, and I have a lot of thoughts/news on that I'm gonna post shortly too.

Basically it seems to me Victor Miller, the original writer of the first movie, will prevail in appeals court against Sean Cunningham (director and producer of the first and several other movies in the franchise.) Which means whoever currently has the rights (I think maybe Warner Bros.?) will have to pay Miller a fair cut in order to move forward on production of a new movie -- which I have no doubt they will, and then life will go on as normal (hopefully.) (There's a scenario they skirt around Miller's rights by using elements originating in the second and later movies, like the whole Ruby Slippers/Silver Slippers thing in Wizard of Oz adaptations, but they'd have to retcon or revise at least a little to get Jason working without Crystal Lake, his mother, or even possibly his own name.)

tbh, the only thing from the first film that is essentially F13 is the ki ki ki ma ma ma soundtrack.
the iconic stuff is the hockeymask and just being this unstoppable force. You don't need any characters to name him (or even imply they know his name), mention his mother as a motivation, or set it at crystal lake.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37925 on: December 03, 2020, 01:21:10 PM »
Next Friday
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37926 on: December 03, 2020, 01:50:16 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #37927 on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »
Bummer is it's only for a month, then the movies in question will be theater only, then VOD services, etc. like normal. So Max gets the opening month and then maybe will get the movie after a year.

AT&T not committing to the "permanent catalog" model like Disney is trying for Disney+ is still stupid IMO. Consumers will never be sure which WB movies will be available at any given time, if they're even sure which ones are WB and which are Disney, etc. I guess the play is to offer "Super HBO" but is that enough to compete against Disney's 100 years of film and network television creations + aquisitions?

Bebpo

« Reply #37928 on: December 03, 2020, 03:42:34 PM »
So that is fucking crazy.

And awesome! I'd never subbed HBO in my life cause it was $$$$, but now that it's like $12-15/month like every other streaming service I jumped on at $12/month a couple months ago and it seems a better value in content than most of the competition. Now with every WB movie for 2021 day 1...yeah, that is damn good.

A lot of stuff on there I was looking forward to like Dune, Godzilla v Kong, Suicide Squad. Plus looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984.

Will definitely keep my HBO Max sub for the next year because of this.

I actually...kinda don't mind the 1 month limit. Because I add all this shit to my watchlist backlog and never get to it. 1 month period of initial availability will kind of motivate me to actually watch the new release stuff I want to see.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37929 on: December 03, 2020, 04:10:11 PM »
black_beard_burning_down_a_theater.jpg

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #37930 on: December 03, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
Dune's release date in October is weird. Not really a typical month for sci-fi blockbuster movies, but maybe the lack of competition will help it out. It's gonna need it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37931 on: December 03, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »
mom's tv doesn't even have hbomax  ::) I'd probably get it for her tbh  :-[

Bebpo

« Reply #37932 on: December 03, 2020, 05:14:15 PM »
Dune's release date in October is weird. Not really a typical month for sci-fi blockbuster movies, but maybe the lack of competition will help it out. It's gonna need it.

The strange thing is some stuff like Dune was moved because of wanting to release it in theaters.

But now that they are releasing it on streaming...you'd think it'd make sense to move up some of these releases that are finished or near-finished.

Tasty

« Reply #37933 on: December 03, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
mom's tv doesn't even have hbomax  ::) I'd probably get it for her tbh  :-[

Merry Christmas mommy :-[

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Merry Christmas me :rash
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #37934 on: December 03, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
AT&T not committing to the "permanent catalog" model like Disney is trying for Disney+ is still stupid IMO.

Huh?  Where does this say what you are implying?

I thought it was a Warner or AT&T exec saying they believe a rolling catalog model is better, I will try to find the source but feel free to ignore me until then lol.

AKA "Hey guys The Dark Knight trilogy is available this summer, don't miss out!" When in reality what consumers want is piece of mind for access or some kind of equivalent.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #37935 on: December 04, 2020, 12:21:55 AM »
but but but these movies were designed to be seen on THE BIG SCREEN not your wimpy 60 inch 4K screens with the sound settings incorrect

you're ruining the experience by not seeing it in the theatres it was designed for

:killme

G The Resurrected

« Reply #37936 on: December 04, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
Tenet really did change WB’s mind about theatrical releases (at least in the US.) I still haven’t seen it myself, but will when it’s out on disc. Scoob released on HBO Max and apparently did well enough. This announcement for HBO MAX’s streaming model means I’m upgrading my sound setup instead of wasting money at theaters on parking/drinks/snacks.

I can’t wait to get in my comfy, pour a drink, and enjoy WW84 on Christmas Day!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37937 on: December 04, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »
but but but these movies were designed to be seen on THE BIG SCREEN not your wimpy 60 inch 4K screens with the sound settings incorrect

you're ruining the experience by not seeing it in the theatres it was designed for

:killme
Normies streaming Villeneuve's new master piece on a Huwaei P(oo) 10 with a broken screen and Pizza stains complaining it is 'too dark' :neogaf

Nintex streaming Villeneuve's new master piece on the calibrated Technicolor Expert mode with Dolby Vision on an LG OLED Panel and DTS sound system :snob
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #37938 on: December 04, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
Scoob would have done terribly at theaters IMO, and wouldn't surprise me if it was tracking as such so any kind of high viewership on Max translates to "It's a success!"

Who knows though, I thought the Addams Family CG movie would bomb and that's getting a sequel. :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #37939 on: December 04, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »
Normies streaming Villeneuve's new master piece on a Huwaei P(oo) 10 with a broken screen and Pizza stains complaining it is 'too dark' :neogaf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37941 on: December 05, 2020, 06:54:27 PM »
Watched Tenet.

It's a Nolan film in every sense of the word. One of those films you'll have to watch a few times to get all the details of the plot device straightened out.
Overall I felt that they could've explained some things better and maybe increased the scope a bit with more characters or rather, characters with a backstory.
But I really liked it.

Ending scene with the big battle was very similar to the army base ending of Inception.
[close]
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37942 on: December 05, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
watched a better copy the other night. I liked it better the second time around, but it's a mess  :shaq2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37943 on: December 05, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
What Nolan failed to do and did so well with Inception and even Interstellar is to establish the 'ground rules' of the plot device.
In this film you're just 'launched' into it, must like the protagonist.
How far can you go back in time? Is it days, months, weeks? How long can you stay there? etc.
What happens if multiple people go back in time?

The scene where Stator shoots his wife is one of the few where it shows what this 'power' can do along with the gold delivery.
But what else is possible and how is he using it? Couldn't he just prevent his wife from becoming estranged with his time travel power?
Or pick up a cancer cure in the future?

How is all this 'world ending?' and why do the bad people in the future want the world end?
[close]
🤴

Tasty

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #37945 on: December 05, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
Then there’s the confusing branding around HBO Max, which initially joined a plethora of similarly named services, including HBO, HBO Go, and HBO Now. Although WarnerMedia finally got around to retiring HBO Go and changing HBO Now to simply ‘HBO’ in June, several employees in charge of marketing and branding acknowledged the changes should have come much sooner, before HBO Max ever launched.

There’s even been talk internally of changing the name of HBO Max — either internationally only or globally — once it rolls out worldwide in 2021, according to three people familiar with the matter. Executives have batted around several names with “Warner” as the title brand, rather than “HBO”
:delicious

Tasty

« Reply #37946 on: December 06, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
Can't wait for Warner Bros.+!

Wonder if this will be before or after AT&T sells DirecTV after plunging it straight down the garbage shoot and losing tens of billions of dollars.

But sure, let's keep dumping faith in Stankey and Kilar. :rage

Tasty

« Reply #37947 on: December 06, 2020, 09:51:04 AM »
AT&T also wants to do the Hulu thing where there's lower-priced ad-supported tiers, because due to cable contracts HBO proper can't ever be priced below $15/month (special discounts, etc., excluded.)

The whole thing is a fucking mess and I hate AT&T. I hate AT&T more than I did a decade ago, and I really didn't think that would be possible.

But then they had to eat up DirecTV (parents), DC and Warner Bros. and here we are...

Tasty

« Reply #37948 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:52 PM »
To borrow a line from "The Sopranos," "'Remember when' is the lowest form of conversation."

Then again, it's concerning to hear the same anxieties from so many WarnerMedia executives. To use a different "Sopranos" line, "One thing you can never say is that you haven't been told."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37949 on: December 06, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
“Any chart about gaming usage is up and to the right,” said Kilar. “It’s one of the most impressive trends in U.S. consumer behavior in the last 20 years. When we take a look at the next 5, 10 or 15 years with WarnerMedia, I’m very excited with the role gaming will play in our future.”
This is some Disco sales logic  :doge
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37950 on: December 06, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »
HBO Go to the Polls
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #37951 on: December 07, 2020, 01:14:20 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/legendary-entertainment-warner-bros-hbo-max-deal-dune-godzilla-1234847605/

AT&T making a lot of enemies to try to prop HBO Max up, hope it's worth it. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #37952 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »
Hey guys wouldn't it be something if Legendary and AT&T got into a decade-long court battle over Dune and the film never ended up seeing the light of day? :doge

Tasty

« Reply #37953 on: December 07, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
THR: Universal Supplants Warner Bros. as Hollywood's Box Office Hero

After months of being derided for daring to use the pandemic to shorten the theatrical window to as short as 17 days, Universal has suddenly supplanted Warner Bros. as Hollywood's conquering box office hero, while the latter studio has become persona non grata.

Old Hollywood mad :maf

I'm glad Warner's reputation tanking isn't sending everyone fleeing into Disney's arms, but Universal is still a bizarre choice for a savior.

Between this and the Bob Dylan deal maybe I should get some Universal stock or something :thinking

Edit-

"Universal, just a short while ago, was the enemy of the biz. With the Warner move, Universal has moved from the outhouse to the penthouse," says one rival studio executive.

:lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:43:53 PM by Tasty »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37954 on: December 07, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
Universal, in a few weeks: "We're proud to announce all our 2021 movies will be coming to Peacock Max!"
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37955 on: December 07, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
Denis Villeneuve, the director of “Dune,” is similarly disappointed with the HBO Max plan and would prefer a traditional theatrical release for his movie, according to insiders. The “Dune” adaptation is intended to be the first of a two-part retelling of Frank Herbert’s seminal 1965 novel. The big-budget sci-fi epic — starring Timothee Chalamet, Oscar Isaac and Zendaya — was initially greenlit with the intention of launching on the big screen. It’s too early to know if the planned sequel would follow the same rollout as the first. Other filmmakers involved in the movie are also privately unhappy with the move.
there can't be a DUNE film without drama.

Dune is cursed
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #37956 on: December 07, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »
Universal, in a few weeks: "We're proud to announce all our 2021 movies will be coming to Peacock Max!"

:mouf

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37957 on: December 07, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
Uhm.. yes, the "theater experience"!
A screen badly stretched, badly lit, with shitty overblown audio, sticky floors, talking idiots, morons with their phones on the whole time, crackling of potato chips, someone kicking your seat, the head of a guy in front of you...
The magic of cinema!

Meanwhile you can buy a 55" tv and a soundbar for the price of a burger now.

Let it go.  :doge

nudemacusers

« Reply #37958 on: December 07, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »
Hey guys wouldn't it be something if Legendary and AT&T got into a decade-long court battle over Dune and the film never ended up seeing the light of day? :doge
it's a very protracted way of keeping villeneuve from releasing another bomb.  :brain
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #37959 on: December 07, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
AT&T making a lot of enemies to try to prop HBO Max up, hope it's worth it. :doge

Nolan throwing in with Denis now. :doge

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/christopher-nolan-reacts-warner-bros-hbo-max-deal-1234603016/

Tasty

« Reply #37960 on: December 07, 2020, 08:13:39 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/christopher-nolan-rips-hbo-max-as-worst-streaming-service-denounces-warner-bros-plan

Some of our industry’s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service.

Papa Nolan slamming his dick down, goddamn. :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #37961 on: December 07, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »

Bravo Laemeur and THR :lol

Tasty

« Reply #37962 on: December 07, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
WB was always my favorite studio. :(

God, fuck AT&T. :maf

Tasty

« Reply #37963 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.

:lol God, how many times can one man be fucked over.

And how many times can one studio fuck over such IP...

Though Legendary financed 75 percent of the [Godzilla vs. Kong], Warners had the power to block the sale and did. Legendary asked whether the studio would then give it a deal to stream the movie on HBOMax — and got no clear answer until its executives woke up one December morning to find that the movie was going day-and-date on the service without the benefit of a negotiation.

Yeeeesh this reeks from every angle. :doge :snoop

The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to battle.

FUCKING GREAT we got a fight for Matrix 4 on our hands now too :snoop  :snoop  :snoop  :snoop

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37964 on: December 07, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »
It's honestly hard to be sympathetic when all the most vocal people are the ones making millions and crying that they will make a few million less.

Tasty

« Reply #37965 on: December 07, 2020, 08:46:08 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/jeremy-irons-lady-gaga-gucci-murder-movie-1234848160/

Jeremy Irons has been cast opposite Lady Gaga in MGM’s murder drama “Gucci,” with Ridley Scott directing.

Damn this *could* be really good, if Scott brings his A-game...

Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Al Pacino, Jack Huston and Reeve Carney are also attached to “Gucci.”

Damn.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37966 on: December 07, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »
I don't particularly care about these people complaining, but it is just shockingly bad business.   And honestly just the basics of it sound highly likely that Warner will be losing some lawsuits over it.

AT&T is doing this to try to prop up HBO Max, which is floundering because of bad decisions [like having four different HBO streaming services going at the same time at one point].
dog

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #37967 on: December 08, 2020, 12:05:37 PM »
Watched a movie based on Nintex’s fanfics.

https://m.

Good background fodder since it seems like the director bought a bunch of 3d asset packs and made a movie with them.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37968 on: December 08, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »

Good background fodder since it seems like the director bought a bunch of 3d asset packs and made a movie with them.

©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #37969 on: December 08, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »

Even if this battle was rated somehow, "ultimate" feels a bit generous.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #37971 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »

Even if this battle was rated somehow, "ultimate" feels a bit generous.

Trump doesn’t even fight the Illuminatii, it’s just a white guy and Bigfoot taking them on as Trump watches the battle with Satan from the elusive man’s lair above Dubai.

Tasty

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37973 on: December 08, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
Far From Home was shit, they could bring back Jesus Christ and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37974 on: December 08, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
didn't care for his doc oc  ::)

does this confirm spider-verse :thinking

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37976 on: December 09, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »
I liked Spider-verse a whole heck of a lot.

Kinda skeptical about tying in 3 unrelated live action takes of Spiderman and blending them into one. Get this odd feeling of it feeling oddly stitched together as opposed to Spider-verse that was working with the idea from the get go and thus even though you had all kinds of Spider-heroes who at times seemed incredibly different from each other it still all felt like it belonged.

I guess I'm getting kind of empty fan service vibes from this. I like Spiderman so I'm curious. Not really a believer though.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #37977 on: December 09, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
MCU Multiverse stuff should start in the film of the comic that originated it.

CAPTAIN BRITAIN
 :gbcry :gbcry :gbcry :gbcry :gbcry

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Tasty

« Reply #37979 on: December 09, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
That caught my eye too. :o So excited. :lawd

Also Variety going absolutely HAM today "everything is fine!" :lol

Italy Sees Production Return Under Strict Safety Guidelines

Italy, the European country initially hit hardest by the coronavirus pandemic, is weathering the second wave well with film and TV production chugging along at a relatively healthy pace thanks to efficient safety protocols and government incentives.

Stars Power Productions in New Zealand, Australia as Production Back in Business

When local newspapers complain about traffic jams caused by Nicole Kidman filming (in New South Wales’ picturesque Byron Bay) and Natalie Portman stopping Sydney traffic by wearing revealing shorts, there is a sense that normality has returned to everyday life in Australia. The film industry is back in production high gear.

German Productions on Safe Shooting Spree

Film and TV productions in Germany have come back with gusto following the three-month COVID-19 lockdown earlier this year, albeit under stringent health protection requirements.

South Africa Readies to Ramp Up Production as International Travel Resumes

After a partial lifting of travel restrictions in early October, South Africa is now fully open for business, with international film and TV productions resuming in time for the Southern Hemisphere’s busy summer season.

With 40% Rebate and ‘Jurassic’ Boost, Malta Biz Looks to Roar Into New Year

When the cameras again began to roll this summer on Universal’s “Jurassic World: Dominion,” one of the first major Hollywood studio films to resume production since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, the restart was a boon for the island nation of Malta, where a second unit crew for the $200 million blockbuster filmed in August.

VFX and Post Houses Execute Seamless Pivot in Coronavirus Era

“Pivot.” It’s a mantra and a directive if you want to survive in the entertainment industry during a global pandemic. That turn can mean complex protocols including testing on a daily basis while you load onto a set in a very specific way. For visual-effects companies, it’s reimagining a craft that was already primed to create solutions for the rest of the industry.

California Gets Back on Track as Production Revs Up

Hollywood is back in action, though recovery has been slow and steady, says Colleen Bell, director of the California Film Commission. She has been working closely with the state’s Department of Public Health to prioritize safety on set during the ongoing pandemic.

Oklahoma Back to Work as State Beefs Up Production Infrastructure

Despite the ongoing pandemic, more pilots and movies have filmed in Oklahoma this year than in 2019, according to Tava Sofsky, director of the Oklahoma Film and Music Office. Among the productions that wrapped in Tulsa and Oklahoma City are the “Reagan” biopic, starring Dennis Quaid, as well as “full-fledged features and a handful of pilots and independent films.”

Artisans Invent Innovative Ways to Work Under COVID Guidelines

“I was very ambivalent and nervous about working during COVID,” says “Fargo” camera operator Mitch Dubin. He flew to Chicago mid-August to finish two episodes of the series’ new season. “I have to say though, I was a little relieved [once there].”

New York Sets Humming Under COVID Protocols

New York City experienced the first wide-scale coronavirus outbreak in the U.S. earlier this year. As it has worked to safely reopen, New York state has implemented various measures to ensure film and television productions could recommence.

Despite Second Coronavirus Lockdown, Greek Industry Keeps Cameras Rolling

Though a rising number of COVID-19 cases pushed Greece into its second lockdown on Nov. 7, production has continued apace since early summer, with the government putting its weight behind measures to ensure cameras continue to roll on film and television shoots despite the pandemic.

All went live at 5am this morning. What are you hiding, Variety!!