Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4176650 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #37740 on: September 22, 2020, 11:54:23 PM »
Lol, everyone wants to hate on Nolan because of tenet but his oeuvre is better than nearly everyone else active in hollywood rn
◕‿◕

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #37741 on: September 23, 2020, 12:09:26 AM »
:popular
每天生气

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37742 on: September 23, 2020, 12:12:57 AM »
Tenet is the only one I did'nt really enjoy. Still, I want to see it again, but I'll wait till it's out on video.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37743 on: September 23, 2020, 12:23:34 AM »
Lol, everyone wants to hate on Nolan because of tenet but his oeuvre is better than nearly everyone else active in hollywood rn
I like him, he's kind of like Villeneuve, he brings some authorship to big block busters, and is always at least good.
Neither really reached greatnes in my opinion, but Denis has more consistent quality.
Also both had their most interesting film be their smaller ones (Memento/Enemy). :thinking

naff

« Reply #37744 on: September 23, 2020, 03:03:39 AM »
yeah, i'm probably more interested in villanueves and joel coens upcoming projects. joel making macbeth on his own might be brilliant. cuaron, pta and mcqueen too, but i have no idea what they're working on rn. is scorsese really still active in a meaningful way? afaik he's working on a teddy roosevelt biography and a true crime film. i'm there! but i'm not expecting anything fresh. irishman was good, like hanging out with my dad again after not seeing him for a while. joel and ethan coen are up there but scruggs was a big miss for me. i actually really fuckin loved hail caesar though. i really hope the wachowskis smash the new matrix. greta gerwig and baumbachs new "barbie" movie with margot sounds maybe ok? little women was dope.

idk, there's still a lot of good coming out of hollywood. i should rewatch memento, it was a revelation for me the first time i saw it but i was a teen. batman begins too, and the prestige was so goddamn great on the big screen. nolan does spectacle so well. the set pieces were excellent in tenet, unfortunate he was so embarrassed by his writing he had to make half of it unintelligible and the finale was a boring farce. hope he teams up with a good writer next project.
◕‿◕

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #37745 on: September 23, 2020, 07:17:16 AM »
A Scene at the Sea by Kitano.
Perfect.
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37746 on: September 23, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »
A Scene at the Sea by Kitano.
Perfect.
Man of culture.  :-*
One of my favorite movies of all time.
The only Kitano i'd rate above it is Sonatine (truly his best film) and i'd put Kids Return just below it.

Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack in just pure nostalgia.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
His work for Kitano shits all over his stuff for Ghibli.  :doge
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37747 on: September 23, 2020, 02:15:01 PM »
Die Hard with a Vengeance

Hadn't seen this in a long time. Great film that holds up pretty well if you like 90's action flicks.
Strangely enough there's a joke about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's Presidential ambitions.  :what
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37748 on: September 25, 2020, 02:43:33 PM »
Since you fellas were jibber jabbering about Nolan.

edit: Hey Don Rumata, for whatever reason (possibly regional lock?) it says that your music link is unavailable. Just gonna repost a different upload (which ironically might not work for your region for all I know  :lol)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:14:44 PM by EchoRin »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #37749 on: September 26, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »
Are you saying that they're good for you or that they're not really action movies?

naff

« Reply #37750 on: September 27, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
i really like the original also, but yes, bride is great (and very different).

i couldn't say which i like more. i like them both for different reasons, but the referential parody of Bride wouldn't work without Whales original so
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:13:14 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37751 on: September 27, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
watched feels good man last night. i knew bits and bobs about mike's story, but really enjoyed their in depth take and the way they used him as a point of contrast for all the stupid shit that's been happening over the last 5 years.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37752 on: September 27, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
i rewatched it during lockdown and i loved the simplicity in it's gothic horror. the dialogue is pretty creaky, but visually it's still impeccable, and the atmosphere is so rich.
◕‿◕

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37753 on: September 28, 2020, 12:20:28 AM »
Team America: World Police – This was ok. Was expecting to get more laughs, but many of the jokes seemed to fall flat to me. Some of these quick quips or jokes I’ve heard recited through the years such as the derpy “Mahht Dahmon” left me indifferent. Sure some jokes would be seen as a little insensitive today within some more recent social happenings, but that’s whatever. It’s a product of its time. Mostly it just seemed very dated in some of its political hot takes. These are very Stone and Parker of course.

The sex scene to me was the highlight. Perfect with the marionette characters. You know, I didn’t really enjoy the South Park movie either, so maybe I’m more drawn to Stone and Parker’s episodic content. I remember not really caring about the story at all in the former, and I sort of stopped caring here too with Kim Jong-il’s master plan. That left me with looking forward to what jokes might come from scene to scene, but like I said earlier, most didn’t get a reaction out of me. Oh and the joke songs were a big shrug to me too. I hate Pearl Harbor as much as the next person, but the song shitting on it was about the same level of quality. 2 derka derka’s out of 4.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37754 on: September 28, 2020, 12:26:14 AM »
It helps if you're in college when you see it.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37755 on: September 28, 2020, 02:08:45 AM »

I tried to do another video.

Leadbelly

« Reply #37756 on: September 30, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »
Seth Rogen seems like a good dude and he's obviously got talent, but I just can't stand him. Hard to really explain, but he annoys me and I don't find him funny at all.

I feel the same way. I get the same feeling with Ben Stiller.

Of course Adam Sandler as well, but I guess that is a bit more understandable.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37757 on: October 01, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37758 on: October 01, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »

:whew :lawd :preach
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37760 on: October 02, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »
Aww damn
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37761 on: October 02, 2020, 04:24:58 PM »
After Tenet failed to bring crowds back to the movie theaters, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other big movies get pushed back, too.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37762 on: October 02, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
They already changed it 3 times this year, so that's not a surprise to just push it. That's a $750m-1b movie for Sony, of course they aren't going to throw it out there to die like the industry did with Christopher Nolan

They thought people were starving for the theater experience, but it turns out theaters are shit and people would rather just watch Netflix Original tier movies at home.  :society
©@©™

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37764 on: October 02, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
You can get an 85" tv for like 3000$. Why the fuck would anyone go to the theatre?

I was honestly shocked when browsed TV prices a few weeks ago. The baseline 65” 4K HDR TVs are like $500. :lol I’m thinking about upgrading my 40” this Black Friday.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37765 on: October 03, 2020, 05:40:21 AM »
Don't know if I would have braved the show after seeing how poorly managed the theater was when I went to see Tenet. But I am disappointed that James Bond is getting pushed back again. I just want to see how they are going to tie up Craig's bond.

I assume Dune will also get pushed back.

I really don't want theaters to go away. There's nothing like seeing a movie that way.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37766 on: October 03, 2020, 06:45:10 AM »
Theaters are the Emperor's new clothes anyway, the gig is up, the normies just realized it.   :derp
It's over.

Though cinemas still has the added bonus of being somewhat of a social event, as far as big releases go. You can kind of substitute that with a home party, but it's not quite the same thing.

Coax

« Reply #37767 on: October 03, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »
I was honestly shocked when browsed TV prices a few weeks ago. The baseline 65” 4K HDR TVs are like $500. :lol I’m thinking about upgrading my 40” this Black Friday.

There was quote on Hacker News I read from a head of one of TV divisions stating that prices are now subsidized by the user data they collect :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37768 on: October 03, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »

There was quote on Hacker News I read from a head of one of TV divisions stating that prices are now subsidized by the user data they collect :doge

:trumps
dog

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37770 on: October 04, 2020, 04:57:01 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37771 on: October 04, 2020, 06:15:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1312458838021292032

:rogan :cat :walkaway :angryjoe  :steel
Could be kind of cool shlock, like Reign of Fire.
I dunno who, in their right mind, was expecting a Monster Hunter movie to be "faithful" to the look of the game.
Maybe if the Wachowki did it in a SpeedRacer style, but then people'd hate it anyway, for being too goofy.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37772 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:16 AM »
This came out a bit rougher then I wanted, but please check out this movie if you haven't seen it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37773 on: October 05, 2020, 04:05:46 AM »
Man from Nowhere it's alright, but to me it's in the bottom row of that collection of BitterSweet Life copycats.
I'd put A Company Man above it, even. :thinking

dunno which one you've watched so far, but i suggest a couple good ones are: City of Violence, A dirty Carnival, Friend, New World, Yellow Sea (and the ones mentioned above, ofc.).
No Tears for the Dead is also a fun action movie.

Didn't like the remake of A Better Tomorrow, didn't like Nameless Gangster, didn't like Asura: City of Madness, didn't much care for Villainess, hated Traffickers, hated Cold Eyes... and a bunch of others i can't remember off the top of my head, right now.  :lol
Also some that come to mind, are more in the serial killer sphere than action/gangster so i won't touch those.
And there's the fact that the bottom of the barrell of these movies gets so formulaic, that it's hard to remember which one is which.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:23:29 AM by Don Rumata »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37774 on: October 05, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »
I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World which I had never seen before nor read the source material. As a comparison point, I hated Ready Player One. I hated everything in that movie. Even the thing it was supposed to be good at which was the look, I hated. It was visual diarrhea tossed on the screen and the parts that weren't were just clones of better movies or things.

By comparison, Scott Pilgrim looks great visually and is inventive and stylish with its look. It's visual themes are really strong and the video game aspects of it, are well incorporated visually at least. It has a tone that its going for and it really does go for it instead of going for the generic Hollywood bullshit of Ready Player One. All good stuff.

I just wish I liked the plot and characters and themes of it. None of that part of the movie moved me. I found it all trite and at worst actively annoying. I have a weird feeling, I would consider the movie a classic if it was from another country and another language. Because then it would just seem foreign and sort of mystical in a way because its not of my culture. The way that dubbed anime can actively make an anime worse compared to subbed anime where you can give it more of a cultural interpretation in your brain.

TL DR: Aesthetically I loved the movie. Plot, character wise, not so much.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37775 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »
Man, they released a Nollywood (Nigerian) movie on Netflix. It's called Oloture. Gonna be watching that tonight. Fell into the Nollywood and Ghallywood (Ghanaian) rabbit hole on youtube years back. It's basically an ocean of terrible movies that are so bad they're good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37776 on: October 05, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »
Man, they released a Nollywood (Nigerian) movie on Netflix. It's called Oloture. Gonna be watching that tonight. Fell into the Nollywood and Ghallywood (Ghanaian) rabbit hole on youtube years back. It's basically an ocean of terrible movies that are so bad they're good.

dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37777 on: October 05, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »
Denis Villeneuve's DUNE delayed to October 1, 2021

:fbm
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37778 on: October 05, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
Honestly means they have faith its going to make money.  Much better than putting it out to die and never getting children of dune.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37779 on: October 05, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37780 on: October 05, 2020, 05:23:52 PM »
I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World which I had never seen before nor read the source material........."

Oh me too. I didn't see it until maybe a year or two ago. But I enjoyed the goofyness of the story too. Totally agree with the aesthetic being nailed though. Thumbs up to the ost too.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37781 on: October 05, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »
https://observer.com/2020/10/tenet-box-office-cineworld-regal-closing-coronavirus/

Movie theaters are really having a hard time right now.
🤴

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #37782 on: October 05, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
The Super Story is an awesome Nigerian drama tv show they air on a random channel here in Houston. When I went to Nigeria everyone was completely thrown when we were at the bar watching it and I knew the plot lines. I legit love that show.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37783 on: October 06, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37784 on: October 07, 2020, 11:13:17 PM »
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37785 on: October 08, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #37786 on: October 10, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »

Yeah, I don't know. I only know about this cause Ryuichi Sakamoto is the composer. So if we get a killer main theme out of it, the film will be worth it. Though I was completely unaware of the true events this is based on. Something to read about.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:28:57 PM by EchoRin »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #37787 on: October 11, 2020, 01:19:11 AM »
Watched Bird Box I purposely kind of avoided it when it originally shot to fame just because I think its hard to have your own opinion when something reaches cultural ubiquity nowadays. I prefer to watch it once the hype is gone so I can judge it without being influenced by feeling the need to have a ready to go hot take.

It's fine. I mean its not great or amazing. It's clunky structurally and sort of maudlin and safe and manipulative in that it thinks endangering cute kids is the way to motivate the audience and they aren't wrong but its a little to on the noise with it. The general plot structure of the movie is just too convenient.

But it's not bad. I've seen plenty of worse horror thriller fare in my lifetime. It feels like those made for TV movies that were often made when I was kid that don't really exist anymore. And this feels like one of those where I would have said, hey that wasn't bad. If I had gone in with sky high expectations, I have a feeling I would have been more critical of the flick but I came in with no expectations this far down the road and like I said, it reminds of a tv movie which sounds kinda like an insult but isn't really imo. Or at least its not an insult that means its not worth watching. It feels like a mix of The Happening and A Quiet Place. It's way better than the happening of course but not as good as A quiet place which is an actual thing that feels like an actual motion picture, albeit a small scale one. So yeah, I'm not exactly sure why it kind of hit the way it did. Maybe right time, right place kinda thing. But its okay.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37788 on: October 11, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
Watched Batman Begins yesterday

Hadn't seen it in a while, still a great film. Bale makes for a great Bruce Wayne.
The only thing that is disappointing is how the movie wraps up. A lot build-up that results in nothing when it comes to confronting the villains.

Falcone -> strapped to a chair after Crane gets to him
Crane -> Tasered by Rachel
Ras Al Ghul -> Only returns to be punched in the final scene
[close]

I also discovered something new after all these years.
The homeless dude that says 'Nice coat' is Boris the Blade a.k.a. Boris the Bullet Dodger a.k.a. Boris the Sneaky the Fucking Russian from Snatch.  :ohhh
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37789 on: October 11, 2020, 10:44:11 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37790 on: October 12, 2020, 03:37:16 AM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #37791 on: October 13, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »

This shits gonna make me cry so fucking hard

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #37792 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:58 PM »
Oh there is a new Tremors movie

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #37793 on: October 13, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
Oh there is a new Tremors movie

Yeah, this one's got Jon Heder in it.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37794 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

Not that I had any expectations for it, but this looks absolutely dreadful.
dog

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #37795 on: October 14, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »

Pacific Rim: Desert no mechs Edition

Day 1
when it hits a bdrip on the net
[close]

Leadbelly

« Reply #37796 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:49 PM »
These Final Hours

It's actually a pretty decent end of the world movie. I enjoyed it. Well... enjoy probably isn't the right word as it is pretty bleak at times.

naff

« Reply #37797 on: October 14, 2020, 10:36:08 PM »

i dont get paul anderson. event horizon is pretty great, and i have some love for mk (i haven't seen AvP), but the rest of his work is so creatively bankrupt.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37798 on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:40 PM »

Someone watched Predator and Mortal Kombat back to back and decided it was missing Nic Cage in the Christopher Lambert role.

Peak Cage is whenever rent is due.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37799 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:14 AM »
watched the new star war trilogy with some normies and they all like them just fine  :thinking watched with a fresh set of eyes myself and enjoyed them well enough for what they are. sometimes it's nice to just sit back and let yourself enjoy something apart from all the hype or whatever.

also watched skyscraper wit da rock and it ruled for the most part. some good wwe action going on in there, but I missed the end  ::)